Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
Reviews by mereed2:
3.85/5  rDev +14.9%

4.9% Alcohol by Volume
Color of Head = #F6E79D
Color of Body = #FF9B2E

I was expecting to be harshly brought down from the high I was on from the last Leinenkugel beer with this one, but I am still sitting pretty on my cloud. And you know why? This is a damn good beer. And it smells like freaking blueberries. EXACTLY like freeze dried blueberries. I think there is a little bit of allspice in there, too. You know the Little Debby blueberry pies? It smells like that filling. Very carbonated like the Summer Shandy. This beer is a good deal darker than the last one, bordering on lager territory. It is a little brown, and somehow manages to change colors from light to dark from bottom to top. Noticeably lacking from this frosty beverage is any hint of orange peel, or citrus of any kind. Normally this would be a complaint, but writing a niche blog like this can be a little repetitive at times so a change of pace is nice. This is a pretty sweet beer too. No part of it hits your tongue bitterly. It reminds me A LOT of Sweetwater Blue, which is one of my favorite beers. The blueberry taste is a little overwhelming though, which makes it hard for this poor lil ole beer reviewer to pick out some of the more subtle flavors. Not that I'm that good at tasting to begin with. But, I have the INTERNET to help me! I'll be right back, I'm gonna check out their website real quick and see what they have to say about this wacky beer.

OK, now I'm pissed. They say NOTHING about the blueberry taste. The only thing they mention is the coriander, which I couldn't even taste. Maybe I had just kept the beer in my fridge too damn long. Actually, that's pretty cool. Maybe my refrigerator has magical, taste transforming properties. It's interesting to note that Leinenkugel's website mimics the bottle in its design choices. Those being that it sucks. The loading screen is cool though, it's a glass of beer filling up. And additionally, there is a recipe section that freaking rocks. It's pretty cool to see a good sized company like this show off a little down home cooking. And what's really special is that it seems like that section is on the site not because they thought it would be good branding or pr, but rather because Peg (the recipe master) really wanted to share her knowledge with the world. It reminds me of something my parents would do if given the chance.

The glass is empty now, sadly. I was genuinely surprised by this beer. I thought it was gonna suck hardcore. But while I enjoyed it, I really don't think it was representative of what a true wheat beer should be. The color was wrong, the taste was off, it was very unbalanced (like the Summer Shandy) and the consistency just didn't seem right. Luckily for Leinenkugel though, it tasted pretty damn good.

mereed2, Nov 16, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -7.5%

Well Leinie is starting to show up around here in wny ahh the memories....On tap at Mammosers here in Hamburg,Poured a hazed orange/peach color with a thin wispy head.Big artificial orange essence in the nose along with some toasty malt like my wife said like orange fruity pebbles,not all bad just artificial,that artifical orange comes thru in the flavor with a cereal-like toasted quality it gets a tad sweet in the finish.Well a wheat beer with orange flavoring added a good fu fu beer and maybe decent on a warmer day but not something to be on the lookout for by any means.

Oh and did I mention it came with a sunset wheat flavored chapstick?Just added bonus to run and try this beer....uhm yeah.

oberon, Jan 10, 2007
1.68/5  rDev -49.9%

Hazed yellow orange with thin lacing. Spicy sweet aroma of oranges in Hawaiian punch. Tastes like orange life savors dipped in sugar. Very sweet! No finish, no bitterness, no hops, no wheat, just orange sweetness and maybe a coriander touch. Very fruit juicy and unbeerlike. Cloying at a level equal to or greater than a Bacardi O alchy pop and with a similar flavor too. A dumper for me.

DaPeculierDane, Apr 26, 2006
3.39/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a tainted copper color with peachy, golden highlights - inevitable witbier haze throughout, capped off with a frothy, almost-creamy white head that settles shortly after the pour and deposits trace amounts of lacing on the glass. Surprisingly aromatic, nice combination of light spices, wheat, and a collection of fruitiness. Lemon zest and orange peels are the most prominent, but I feel like there's some other kind of berry in there. To be completely honest, the aroma draws a striking resemblance to a big bowl of Fruity Pebbles. The dry wheat aroma settles things down a bit. Not getting much of a hop profile, if any, from the nose.

The taste draws from that same fruitiness; lemon and orange zest, again, some type of unidentifiable berry. The spice comes out a bit more, side by side with the bread-filled, wheat laced backbone. Some slightly floral and delicate perfumey aromas and tastes start to jump out - not sure if it's from the hops or from some of the spices used. Wheat stays strong despite the fruit onslaught. Maybe it's just my nose tricking me, but I even get a subtle taste of Fruity Pebbles as well. I'm telling you, try this one and tell me it doesn't smell/taste like Fruity Pebbles. Overall a bit watery at times, it wouldn't hurt to be amped up a bit in terms of robustness and/or flavor, but then again, I guess that's not what you expect from a Leinie wheat beer. Pretty thin body, medium-high amount of carbonation gives it a tight, crispy snap.

This one holds a special place in my heart because it was the first "craft" beer (albeit possible faux craft, but that's beside the point) I ever had, and it was long before my actual endeavor into craft beers. My friends and I used to go to the store and pick up a few six packs of Sunset Wheat and play video games all night. Those were the days. Upon revisiting, I'm definitely not nearly as infatuated with this brew as I once was, but it's not a bad beer at all. Still remains sessionable and nice for a summertime cool-down.

tectactoe, Jan 24, 2013

t2grogan, Oct 05, 2014

OhioBobcat, Aug 16, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -14.9%

Cloudy yellow with a thin head of tiny white boubles. Aroma is strange but not altogether offputting mix of lemon zest and peptobismal. This beer is light bodied and very high in astringincy with a thin and artifical citrus flavor that is seriously like drinking the yellow Fruit Loops. Honestly I'm kinda into this, but it is very funky, and near the bottom of my list for the style and the brewery. Refreshing though.

JudgeRoughneck, Aug 31, 2006

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

dmheinz57, Nov 12, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -11.9%

Sampled & reviewed on 3/2/07:

Ap: Full finger of head raised which settles within moments to a thin layer. Cloudy & gloden. Has the standard look of a Wit or other wheat-based ale.

Ar: Candied fruits dominate! Just totally pervade the entire aroma. Smells like jujifruits for Pete's sake! Maybe Juicyfruit gum. Smells real fake - oranges, cherries. Kind of like fruit punch or Hi-C.

Ta: The taste scarily reminds me of Fruity Pebbles (Wiiilllmaaa!). I love Fruity Pebbles n' all, but this is ridculous flavor in a beer. Do I like it because I love Fruity Pebbles or do I hate it due to its absolute lack of true beer qualities such as any malt flavor or hop bite?

Mo: Very light, smooth & crisp. Fruitiness leaves palette very clean. Dry finish.

Dr: Extremely easy drinking, but fruitiness wears very quickly. Thirst quenching possibly as is a fruity drink or juice, but not really a "beer" IMO.

Comments: Honestly, I didn't mind this as a beverage, but I don't think I could consider it beer, per se. Tasty, fruity & flavorful, albeit a bit fake tasting, but possesses no qualities you'd expect from beer.

JMD71, Apr 17, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -23%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

An ok beer for sure, but not one that I will be rushing out to get again. The pour was nice with a good frothy white head and a nice cloudy golden color. The smell was a bit too sweet for me, it smelt like fresh blueberries with a hint of lime in there. The taste was ok with a bitter citrus flavor up front, followed by a pretty dry aftertaste of blueberries once again. The mouthfeel did not impress me either, it was too frothy. Anyways, try it if you are looking for something new, but there are many better witbier's our there for sure.

Dmann, Jun 19, 2008

markallmon, Jun 29, 2013

sabitu, Mar 21, 2012

beaversfan12, Sep 25, 2013
3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

A pleasant surprise. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Hazy orange in appearance with a medium-size white head. Spicy citrus aroma. Orange and spice in the taste, tiny bit of malt. Maybe a little bland, but definitely a beer you could drink for a while.

lordofthewiens, Aug 29, 2007
3.4/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have this beer i tap,served in plastic cup.

The appearance was a light browny color with a white head.

The smell was a good one,not so strong,it have citrus fruits on it,

Taste was good, hops were there ,also some citrus fruits, lime, some spices also.

Feels really good in the mouth,i would drink this beer again but is hard to find.

BeerDreadz, Aug 10, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

jonphilipp, Jul 08, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a cloudy orange with a big two finger head. Head settles quickly and leaves no lacing. Aroma is big on sweet orange and wheat. Slightly articifical smelling. Taste is oranges, pineapple and blueberries. Too sweet. Moutfeel is rather thin with a cloying swallow. Sugar stays on your tounge long after swallowing. Way too sweet to drink more than one. An interesting alternative to Blue Moon, but not necessarily better.

Duster72, Mar 24, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

JakerLou, Apr 14, 2013
3.55/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz brown bottle with a bottle code, no freshness date.

A- Cloudy yellow with a short white head that holds together well.

S- Smells of tart citrus; lemon and lime ... more lemon though. Hint of white pepper, coriander and faint mint as well. Different ... reminds me of a gruit in a way.

T&M- Mild wheat character, crisp in a moderate body. Touch of hop bitterness, really just enough.Suggestions of Lemonhead candy, tarragon and lemon juice. Finishes with a lemon zest and fermented wheat twang.

D- Is this the new "American White Ale"? A decent "flavored wheat ale", solid intro beer for the non-beer drinker that thinks beer is simply a pale fizzy beverage. An OK pick for the veteran beer drinker that wants something light yet summerish.

Jason, May 01, 2006