Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 883 | Hads: 2,257

Love this beer. I'm a big fan of all of Leinenkugel's seasonals though. When smelling and tasting the sunset wheat, it resembles fruit loops in my opinion. I could easily drink a six pack of this in a short period of time, and I have. Definitely give this a try if you like fruity tasting beers. (295 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +47%

What an awesome beer! Just recently tried this one for the first time, and was immediately hooked! Although taste is subjective, this really does taste like fruit loops - no joke! It has such a distinct flavor and smell that after buying a sixer, I ran back to the liquor store the next day to grab another one... A terrific example of a truly unique witbier... I could drink this all day - it's that drinkable, with a nice cloudy-yellowish appearance that perfectly complements it's sweet, bubble-gum, aromatic flavor... Definitely try this one... don't think you'll be dissapointed... This is without a doubt one of my favorites.... got this for only $6.99 for a six-pack, which is relatively inexpensive compared to some other more well known samples out there... Certainly one of my all-time favorites! (806 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +47%

I got to say first of all this is the best damn wheat ale I have ever had and I am very suprised that Leines could make a wheat ale this good. Ok to start things off this ale is brewed with superb malted wheats tasty cluster hops and a natural coriander, with a pale cloudy goldish colour. Sunset Wheat has a soothing taste that will leave you speachless. It's kind of like your very own sunset in a bottle. It's also the best serve chilled at a stellar 40F. (458 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +45.6%

Very blueberry taste, reminds me of fruity pebbles. good head that goes down but doesnt dissapear, very cloudy. One of my absolute favorites in the Leinenkugel family, great summer beer when sitting at an outdoor bar or by the pool. It is a must have beer and great blueberry/ fruity taste (289 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +44.7%

Nice looking cloudy color with a pure white inch thick foam head. Straw yellow in color with a good amount of lacing. Served on tap at O'Driscolls Pub in Wilbraham, Massachusetts. This has to be the best tasting and most drinkable Witbier I've ever had. I've never heard of the brewer or the beer. I just seen the tap and said give me one of those. The aroma was amazing and truly unique. I still can't make out a few of the aroma's qualities. Definately a strong herbal and floral nose. With hints of Lemon, Hops, Wheat, Blueberries, and grassy notes. It does have a taste of fruity pebbles cereal. The mouthfeel was excellent and went down sooo smooth. Could use a bit more carbonation on the mouthfeel. Creamy rolling texture that had a spicey bite and subtle lingering bitterness. I couldnt believe how good it was. I told the wife to try a sip and she hates beer, but was surprised on how good it was, and took a few more sips. Solid five for drinkability here.. The only thing that stopped me from drinking more than two was the friggin' diet I just started. Extremely light and refreshing. Gentle on the throat and stomach. Perfect summer brew. I've been thinking about this beer all weekend and can't wait to go back for another pint. Absolutley amazing taste. Nice spicey hop taste coupled with hints of bluberries and wheat. So much is going on with this brew. It looks and seems simple, but it's not. A must try!

Note: I've found this in bottle form and it does have more carbonation than the tap version. (1,519 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +44.7%

The leinenkugels sunset wheat is dark in color but does taste like most dark beers it has a great blueberry or mixed berry flavor to it that makes it my favorite of all of the leinenkugel family of beer it has a great mouthfeel and smell I would say anyone if they like beer or not would most likely enjoy one of these (318 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +43.5%

The color is a bright but cloudy yellow. It pours nicely, with a creamy lace that didn't last very long. The smell is fruity, more lemony than anything else, but there's a very faint hoppy bite to the smell.

The taste is what makes this beer for me. It starts like an ordinary wheat but half-way through the fruitiness starts. It's not overwhelming, not heavy and doesn't linger. It stays bright, light and refreshing all the way down. The fruitiness is a nice blend of mostly citrus with some other spices, none of which are overpowering (it's not their Summer Shandy). It finishes like a nice light wheat beer and there's no heavy aftertaste. If anything the aftertaste is a touch citrusy, but not bitter at all.

I got a few bottles in a Leiny's sampler. I tried one bottle and went back to the store where i bought 12 more. It's a tasty refreshing beer, ideal for a summer night. If I can find it consistently, I'd keep this stuff in a regular rotation and drink it all year long. (985 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +42.6%

This is a good example of a fruity witbeir. A light amber in color and slightly cloudy makes it quite average for the witbeir catagory. Holds a decent head retention.

Has a very slight but distinctive fruity nose that is very refreshing.

Has a very appealing blueberry taste with a hint of coriander in the aftertaste.

Feels very smooth and clean in the mouth.

Definitely a favorite among the people I sampled this beer with. (430 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +42.3%

My Favorite Beer

This has been my favorite beer for about the past six months. I had a really, really lousy night last night and decided to pick up some of this on my way home. I poured some in a glass and unwound listening to some Albert King. I've got the other five bottles waiting for me at home now.

This is brewed by a small family-owned and operated brewery in Wisconsin. They are very creative and have several varieties of which as stated before this is my fav. It pours out a very light golden color not very cloudy with a hint of citrus in its smell. It's got a soft, fruity taste. It's not too heavy so you can drink it while you're grilling some carne asada on the deck, but it's also good to curl up with while you're listening to some blues. (765 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +41.1%

This looked good right from the start. Nice deep golden color,
a awesome fruity aroma, and a nice creamy foam top. I knew before it touched my lips...this was gonna be good.

The taste had so many fruits I was unable to pinpoint what the hell they actually were....but I loved this stuff. Why did it take be 46 years to discover it. Thank you Cleveland Indians!

The creamy feeling on the palate combined with the fruity taste makes it the best summer brew I've ever had. (471 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +41.1%

I will have to say this is one of my favorite beers. It pours a beautiful hazy typical witbier color. The smell of this beer is the most unique i've come across. Some say artificial or fruity pebbles, i just say damn good and fruity. Taste is more of the same with a musty yeastiness and lemon and orange, tasty! Overall this has to be one of the most drinkable, quaffable, thirst-quenching and AFFORDABLE beers around. A great stab at the style and a classic in the making!! At 5.99 a sixer, there is no going wrong here! Outstanding! (535 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +40.2%

Appearance: - Golden wheat color, cloudy. Head was mostly lasting with fair lacing.

Sent: Sweet wheat aroma with lemon zest, blueberry, and some floral notes.

Taste: Very crisp, fresh taste with a hint of blueberry

Mouth feel: : Smooth and light bodied, slightly hoppy at the beginning, giving way to a wheat complexion with the lemon and blueberry.

Overall Impression: Loved the blueberry aroma/taste. It was stronger in the scent than in the flavor. Excellent when cold, okay when starting to get warm. (510 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +39.9%

Bought this on a whim. I'm a big wheat beer fan. I had no idea how great this stuff would taste. Pours cloudy golden with a thick head, like a Bavarian wheat, which was quite surprising. Very, very drinkable. A fruity overtone but by no means overwhelming.

Warning: It could be very easy to drink bottle after bottle of this stuff, if you consider that a bad thing. (368 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +39.6%

When you try this beer, you will find that it has an unique fruity taste. You'll be surprised.

Served: On-tap, poured into a plastic cup (cheap bar).

A: Hazy and golden, it had a typical witbier complexion. The way it was poured allowed for no head to form.

S: Smells of wheat, orange, blueberry, and other things, I'm just not sure to be honest.

T: Fruity Pebbles! This beer tastes just like the cereal. It comes through in the aftertaste, but when you think of Fruit Loops or Fruity Pebbles, you're going to be like, "Oh wow, this guy's right!" I feel like I could just pour it over the cereal and it would complement it perfectly.

M: Slightly hoppy at the beginning, giving way to a wheat complexion and then all the fruit comes out in the end, leaving a great aftertaste.

D: I wish I could find this beer in cases. I would be drinking this beer all summer aside from Corona, the staple summer beer. The unique flavor will have you coming back for more. (962 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +37.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Another one of those beers that I absolutely love but gets pretty average to mediocre reviews. Well I don't fancy myself a beer aficionado or expert or anything but this is one great tasting beer. It tastes like licorice with a balanced bitterness, floral-citris tones. This beer looks great, smells great, and tastes great. Buy a case! (336 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +37.6%

A - pours murky golden (almost glows) with a thin head. some lacing but not much.

S - fresh and citrusy. Lemony and bright.

T - I may be in the minority but I think the taste here is unique and outstanding. It's part wheat beer, part lager, all unique. Very crisp, fresh taste with a hint of blueberry and coriander.

M - Nicely bubbly. Very fresh.

D - I can and have consumed a 12er in one sitting. (403 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +37.3%

A favorite of mine, pours a thick head, has an exceptional golden color, great citrusy smell and taste. Very easy to drink several, has a great summer outdoors appeal. Good stuff all around. Even better on tap. A great readily available, go to beer, very representative of a good Sunset Wheat. (293 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +37%

A most interesting beer....

Having had a sampling of 6 beers last night, 2 of which were wheat ales and another was a heffenweisen. This one truly stood out above the other both in it's class and outside of it. It was unique while still remaining palatable.

Appearance: golden color, mild cloudy, but quite visually appealing.

Smell: Nice aroma though my nose didn't seem to be taking in the scents very well last night.

Taste: Wow...is Christmas a flavor? I described this to my wife as 'drinking a Christmas pie' but unlike so many spice drinks. This beer does not equate festive flavor with overly sickening sweet spiced liquid as so many spice beers & wines do. No, this beer is very well balanced in flavor, body, & sweetness.

There was a fruity aspect to this beer, almost akin to the sweet smell of oranges (without the citrus nature). Then you have the coriander. Having tried another wheat ale this evening that also included coriander in it's ingredient list. While the other took subtlety to a fault. The Leines Sunset brought enough flavor from the spice to be a highlight while stopping right before it'd start to overwhelm the rest of the beer.

It was as if this beer had 5 stages. The initial contact, followed by the wheat ale flavor, then the coriander hit. This was followed by a warmth that just made me want an orange. Lastly I was left with a very mild sweet hop remnant.

Mouthfeel: very nice feel on the tongue. Not too thick and sweet, nor to thin and watery. Had a nice coat but not a heavy lingering.

Drinkability: Decent drinkability, the feel of the beer makes it easy to drink. However, being a spiced beer you always have that potential of having just too much flavor. I'd really have to see how the drinkableness is on the second glass. But the first glass should be quite drinkable. (1,822 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +36.7%

Poured a 12 oz bottle on a 16 oz pint and it created a nice 3 inch head. The head slowly faded away and left behind a nice lace on my glass. The aroma is very appealing and the taste is very satisfying. Mild citrus flavors bounced around in my mouth as I savored this beer. There was very little to no aftertaste in every sip and that makes you want to take the next sip. (371 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +35.8%

I used to carry this on tap when I bartended in Florida. I am not always a fan of the wheats, be they Heffes, American Wheats or Belgian White styles....but this on draft was amazing. It is a beautiful yellow color pouring into a pint and the heady smell of freshly made blueberry waffles fills the entire bar. Nope, I'm not kidding. Many patrons asked what it was I was making in the back of the pub...then I'd throw them a taster of this. It is perfect for summer though it isn't overly, overly sweet. I still found it incredibly refreshing and lacking in the typical skunk of the wheat brews. While it loses it's preciousness aroma-wise in bottle, the taste remained pretty true. Totally dig! (695 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +35.8%

from Mushroomcloud via Secret Bunny 2007

A - pale hazy straw yellow with plenty of swift carbonation feeding a huge rocky white head, rather inviting after a long day at work, like today (everyday)

S - a nice sweet wheat aroma with infused lemon zest aromas as well, that strange enough, when they become muddle from a few inches further away form a fresh blueberry-esque aroma, some herbal/floral notes from closer up, rather,.... intriguing

T - a surprisingly complex aroma, not that i expected poor quality, just not this much, definitely the best wheat beer i have ever had, lemon, herbal, floral, fruity, layered and layered, what a great flavor

M&D - smooth and light bodied, with a great easy down-ness, i am so surprised i will buy this more and more and more, not just as a BA enjoying and respecting a great beer, but when i have company over, or when its hot out and im sitting on the porch waiting for a thunderstorm to roll in, this is great. (967 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +35.5%

I had my doubts about this brew. I am not partial to the 'fruity" type beers.

However, this is one of the most refreshing summer brews I've had to date! You have got to try this. You'd be letting yourself down if you pass this one up.

Overall: DEF TRY!!! (258 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +35.5%

Pours a cloudy orangeish gold color. The smell is that of fruity pebbles oddly enough but you do smell the beer alcohol afterwards. First taste is that of fruity pebbles and then fades off into a medium beer taste and is followed by the after taste of fruity pebbles. Feels zesty in the mouth almost like the feeling, without the taste, of lemonade. Easy to drink in moderation to sweet to get carried away. (407 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +35.2%

.Enjoyable ice cold. has a refreshingly citrus scent that is noticeable immediately. Citrus fruit flavoring readily obvious which seems to be why a slice of orange is placed in a glass of Blue Moon or Hoegarten. With Sunset Wheat, no orange slice is necessary. Somewhat filling but very drinkable. I like this one. (314 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +35.2%

Excellent fruity wheat beer. One of my favorites on the commercial market.

Great fruity aroma, Great hop aroma, but low bitterness (how I like it), on the sweet side but I would still say it's balanced. Pours a great head, but doesn't keep it long (normal with the style) (273 characters)

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company