2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Sunset WheatLeinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,867 | Reviews: 863 | Show All Ratings:
earshplitten

1.05/5  rDev -68.8%

First, let me say my benchmark for a wheat style beer is
Hacker Pschorr Weiss (with no lemon).
Spied the Leiny at the store. Looked interesting.
I drank and liked other Leiny products in the past, but this stuff was awful. Nowhere on the packaging or label does it mention anything about a fruit taste or hint of fruit.
The blueberry taste was overpowering. Blech. So sorry, Leiny. I've always considered you a reputable brewery and still do, but this stuff is just plain bad.

06-08-2009 22:06:10 | More by earshplitten
WhiteDog2006

Iowa

1.13/5  rDev -66.4%

The apperance is the only thing that impressed me (or should I say "fooled" me) about this beer.

Poured into a frosted mug, this beer looked beautiful. Dark golden-wheat...thought I was in for a treat.

Smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability AWFUL!!!

All I can say for all catagories is "perfume".

Yuk! Not even sure I would wear it as a cologne.

Sorry Leiny...I normally love your beers; but someone screwed up o this one.

01-25-2008 00:12:29 | More by WhiteDog2006
Zoid

1.35/5  rDev -59.8%

A- Cloudy golden appearance with very little head

S- Heavy citrus, near overpowering

T- I didn't know Tang (tm) made beer. The orange citrus flavor completely dominated any other flavors trying to compete.

I was very surprised by the flavor of this beer. I guess my first sign should have been the orange slice on the tap handle. The beer was far too sweet for my tastes, and failed to satisfy as a wheat beer.

02-02-2008 01:25:29 | More by Zoid
cruland

1.38/5  rDev -58.9%

Terrible beer... if you can call it that. It was like drinking fermented pop. I generally like Leine but this was just an awful one to try and finish. Almost no head, any foam at the beginning fizzed away in seconds like a club soda. Doesn't even taste like hops were used in making it.

03-20-2007 00:56:48 | More by cruland
Blackshoepirate

Maine

1.4/5  rDev -58.3%

I feel dooped. The package is so inviting! However that is where the fun time ended... The cap twisted off and the fruity aroma hit my nose. I poured my cloudy beer into an imperial pint glass and noticed the lumps of things free floating. I know unfiltered is unfiltered but whoa! A fork may be needed. But always an optimist I began the quaff and felt my tastebuds getting mugged! Fruit explosion! More than should be in any beer! UCK! There was one brief moment when I thought I could taste pepper or maybe corriander but then the fruit overwhelmed it once and for all...

Over all this beer is a major disapointment. I was hot & thirsty. I was looking forward to

06-11-2008 14:26:12 | More by Blackshoepirate
shiftgorden

Oklahoma

1.4/5  rDev -58.3%

This beer disappointed me enough to write my first review.

Aside from perhaps the color, there was nothing about this beer that reminded me of a traditional wheat beer. In fact, I could taste no wheat in it.

The aroma was very strong and sweet - a very good indicator of what the beer tastes like. Very fragrant, very berry-like.

The beer itself tastes more like a type of Smirnoff Ice beverage. It is VERY sweet and has an extremely strong blueberry taste.

I want to say the carbonation was nicely balanced - but it's hard to say when each sugary mouthful was causing me to wince.

My wife and I managed to finish off a bottle each but it was painful.

The packaging on the bottle does not hint of its "non-traditional" approach to a wheat beer. No mention of its sweetness or blueberry flavor.

Perhaps if this beer was categorized as a fruit beer then I would not be so harsh in my review. But then again, it's the sweetest and least beer-like fruit beer I've ever tasted.

07-31-2010 19:11:53 | More by shiftgorden
archyquaffer

Montana

1.4/5  rDev -58.3%

I'm reviewing this beer from "notes" (consisting, in part, of vivid nightmares!!). I try really hard to like a beer, and have found few that I couldn't drink, but this execrable potion is one. I like most Leinie beers, and wish that some of them were more available in my area....But, when I try to find some Leinies, its usually this stuff that stares me in the face, or some variety pack wherein this "beer" figures prominently.

There's enough sediment in this beer, that it goes way beyond hazy and into the realm of "tainted". The sediment in one bottle was definitely discolored (as in decay). To compare the taste of this beer to Fruity Pebbles, as some have done, would be an insult to Fruity Pebbles. It's more like that old terrible cereal "Boo Berry" (yuck and double yuck)- really fakey fruit taste infused into puffed rice- this sounds not too far off, actually....

I have fond memories of Leinie's in the returnable longnecks-- I wish breweries would bring back this custom. Nowadays, I really like the amber lager, if available, and would really like to try the "creamy dark". But, they really miss with this one. Maybe if they get enough of this crap sent back, they'll replace it with something decent.

06-04-2013 01:51:39 | More by archyquaffer
bobinverted

1.48/5  rDev -56%

Two words... BOO BERRY! This just needs some marshmallows and it'd be the perfect kid's beer! Seriously it's that bad! I usually LOVE witbier, but I'm thinking about pouring this one down the sink! The sickeningly sweet blueberry bubblegum aftertaste is making wish I was drinking something better like, I hate to say it, bud light! Yeah Sunset Wheat is almost that bad!

03-18-2007 19:39:52 | More by bobinverted
Chugmonkey

1.48/5  rDev -56%

Overpowering orange. Orange. Orange. Orange. Just an all out nasty orange assault on your senses. Only way I'll drink this beer is if it is all someone is offering and I don't wish to insult them. The orange is just way too strong and dominating. I can't believe that I see this stuff for sale everywhere I go. I'm totally baffled how anyone can drink more than one at a time. Avoid this unless you really like over the top orange/citrus type beverages.

06-24-2008 17:20:32 | More by Chugmonkey
JanM

Sweden

1.48/5  rDev -56%

Poured hazy in a pale yellow color with quickly disappearing, soapy foam. The smell was sweet and fruity, like artificial orange and bubble gum, maybe apples and pears too. Quite distinct and different actually. Unfortunately it tasted like lemonade made from "natural falvors" and dishwater. In fact, it started to look like it too. I'm sorry to say that it was a disappointment.

Serving type: can

12-07-2008 17:33:36 | More by JanM
sleazo

1.5/5  rDev -55.4%

A- Pours a cloudy dark golden. Not much head leving a soapy slick. Minimum lacing.

S- wierdly like fruity pebbles. I haven't ever smelled a beer like this. Some coriander and pepper notes.

T- is very sweet with lots of fruit some citrus and a sickening aftertaste that is somewhat like fruity pebbles again. This is actually kind of gross.

M- is thin with a medium level of carbonation.

D low. The wierd flavours, smells and sweetness really put me off. I don't think I will have this again.

Edit-I didnt realize this was made with blueberries. I guess that explains things, but it is still gross. The fruit tastes artificial just like a kid's breakfast cereal.

05-23-2007 21:07:58 | More by sleazo
Mebuzzard

1.5/5  rDev -55.4%

A hazy, golden body is topped by a foaming head about 2 1/2 fingers. Looks like beat eggs poured into a glass.
Aroma: Fruit Loops and some floral hops. Is this a cereal? Very sweet
Taste: Fruit Loops again, with a touch of blueberry. A bit odd. Syrupy or fake flavors. Just bad.
Some stale socks aftertaste. This is bad a pint is almost too much. Wouldn't have two. Not sure what this would pair with either. won't have it again.

06-14-2007 01:16:51 | More by Mebuzzard
baos

Indiana

1.53/5  rDev -54.5%

A: Looks normal enough macro head that has a bit of lacing.

S: Too Fruity. Blueberries! If you like things fruity you'll like this, especially if you like blueberries.

T: Overpowering Blueberries. Someone put perfume in my beer.

M: Mediocre mouth feel.

D: Yuck. I passed this beer to a friend that likes fruity things.

08-12-2007 03:19:04 | More by baos
scaliasux

1.55/5  rDev -53.9%

Appearance - Opaque murky yellow. Not the most appetizing color I've seen. Bright white head. Head's a little thin and short-lived.

Smell - Oooorange and coriander (I cross-checked my glass and a jar of spice, coriander it is). Faint yeastiness, but beer character largely masked.

Taste - Rather sweet. Very distinct orange, coriander flavor. Similar to some of Leine's other brews, the beer is overwhelmed by the fruit flavor. Seems like there's a light beer in there somewhere.

Mouthfeel - Light and highly carbonated. Feels more like a macro light than a hefe.

Drinkability - I'm not real big on the Leine's, but I have been more likely to choose a Leinenkugel than a Miller, Bud or Coors. Not real excited about the recent barely beers being produced by this local legend. Is Miller going to use this brand to straddle the boundary between alchopops and beer? Ugh.

11-27-2006 03:05:30 | More by scaliasux
granger10

1.58/5  rDev -53%

Part of the Leiny giftpack I received as a present. Hazy yellow straw color with some orange around the sides. Decent fluffy medium white head that dissipates very quickly. Not too much lacing. Aroma is quite sweet and quite citric with just a moderate amount of coriander spice involved. The spice is ok but the whole smell in general is fake and too sweet. Taste follows suit but is even faker and sweeter. It seems like there's lots of aspartame in here and some orange syrup extract. Thinnish body does nothing. This is awful. I couldn't finish the bottle.

05-23-2006 22:26:50 | More by granger10
Bonhoeffer

Alabama

1.58/5  rDev -53%

I have this thing where i like beer. ALL beer. I like ale, lager, Belgian, German, English, dark, light, hoppy, malty, sweet, bitter, sour, spicy, whatever. I've had good examples of darn near every style of beer on earth.

Which is why i'm so surprised that i hated this beer so much. HATED it. This is literally only the second beer i've ever tasted that i could not finish because it was so bad it had to be poured down the drain. The other? Cave Creek Chili Beer, which we all know is a joke beer not even meant to be consumed except by poor college frat pledges being hazed.

It was not skunked nor oxidized nor infected. Rather, it tasted like someone took Widmer Hefeweizen and soaked a bowl of Fruit Loops in it for about a day. Some sort of sick alcopop kind of thing going on here, with cheap imitation fruit flavors. Poorly imitated fruit flavors.

Just gross and i will never touch it again. I'm gettin the shakes just thinking about my experience with this beer.

10-11-2007 20:58:41 | More by Bonhoeffer
HeroicDoses

1.6/5  rDev -52.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours an unimpressive limp orange. Minimal fizzy head. Taste is hollow and cheap. Smell mirrors that. Definitely picking up some blueberry and orange. I hate to say it, but the consistency reminds me of Bud Light Wheat (worse actually). Has no character other than being a very sub-par beer. Clearly inferior ingredients, with a very cheap blueberry/orange flavor happening. On a positive note (and it's not even really that positive), the drinkability factor is slightly redeeming in that the weak taste doesn't linger at all. Although I'd imagine the hangover would taste like you'd been eating rancid fruity pebbles all night. So I guess I could drink a bunch of these if that was the idea, but if you're looking to sit down and enjoy a good wheat, look elsewhere. Drinking this beer is actually making me angry. Possibly the worst beverage I've ever had.

03-11-2010 02:16:31 | More by HeroicDoses
witster18

Tennessee

1.63/5  rDev -51.5%

"Good" .."worthy"...YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!
For a American witbier that is readily available this may be the worst.... It pours a orange/lt.amber hue with a .25" head that holds decent.... It is VERY fruity in taste with lots of Lemon and orange that molds and finishes with the blueberry that can also be found on the nose of this beer. The taste here is fairly appealing...especially if you don't like the taste of beer!?!... but it really is TOO fruity ... and with too little hops... to come off as a good beer... I thought I liked it at first...it was very refreshing and very fruity...but then I realized after I decided that I wanted a six pack of beer...that I wanted it to TASTE like beer.... Leiny's are always pretty decent quality....this is no exception(at least at first glance)... but for over-fruitiness...this is sub-par. The non-beer drinkers will LOVE this! As for the real beer advocates out there...this is near-terrible! Looking at the reviews here...starting to wonder what in the world some of you are thinkin....if you want a overwhelming fruit beer....at least get one that isn't filled with all these unpleasant(artificial tasting) fruit combos...stick with new glarus belgian red if you want a fruit beer...otherwise go back to your wine collers...this is getting worse be the sip...yep ....I have to edit....this is horrible! I thought Hummer had lowered the bar....boy was I wrong! I'm totally befuddled at those saying this is better than Blue Moon...In my opinion it's no where close....this is like the inferior ..Artificial...less true beer characteristic version of Blue Moon...this Blueberry taste is flat out annoying! This will definately be my last...

tastes like a Natty with blueberry sauce and splenda....I was intrigued at first by the flavor but if you really like beer...you really WON't like this. I wish I could have a leiny red right now because this is awful. Who wants these last 4 and a half....???

This is the ANTI-BEER!I can detect no malt...no hops... no beer... just powdered lime blueberry crap. I think I'm going to get sick and then light some firecrackers under the last four of this six pack so nobody has to go through this again.

too make things worse I hear this is the worst hangover beer of all-time... with all that artificial sweetner stuff going on I wouldn't doubt it.

02-19-2007 19:29:21 | More by witster18
assurbanipaul

1.65/5  rDev -50.9%

Pours a hazy blonde with a thick fluffy white head. Aroma is astringent and heavily spiced with pepper and coriander.

Taste is heavy all the way around: coriander, old socks, cloves, licorice, white pepper and just a trace of peppermint (about the only element in this beer that is not exaggerated). Flavors of funk, bitter orange rind, maybe some old fish. Did someone drop their salmon croquette in while it was fermenting?

Mouthfeel is medium, a little bready, but this is a real chore to finish. Nothing in here works; everything is waaaay too much, tries too hard. I don't know if this was intended as a hefe or a saison but it tastes like a mutant Frankenwit. Blech.

Pretty bad when you have to scour your pantry for something to take the taste out of your mouth. Garden Herb Triscuits did it.

09-20-2006 02:19:14 | More by assurbanipaul
DaPeculierDane

1.68/5  rDev -50%

Hazed yellow orange with thin lacing. Spicy sweet aroma of oranges in Hawaiian punch. Tastes like orange life savors dipped in sugar. Very sweet! No finish, no bitterness, no hops, no wheat, just orange sweetness and maybe a coriander touch. Very fruit juicy and unbeerlike. Cloying at a level equal to or greater than a Bacardi O alchy pop and with a similar flavor too. A dumper for me.

04-26-2006 19:47:36 | More by DaPeculierDane
JMBSH

1.68/5  rDev -50%

A - There's unfiltered and then there is this beer! It looks like someone threw in a small amount of white glitter. White specks of all sizes are in this beer. Not a good look. Poured about a two finger head that quickly shrank to just a thin coating. Seeing only a few bubbles through the floaters.

S - A really strong scent of orange. Reminds me of peeling an orange and the scent that comes from that.

T - If this was served with a orange slice, then you would have over kill. All I get is orange. Not like Orange juice or pop, but a very light orange taste. I can't taste "beer". There is no hop bitterness at all.

M - No carbonation that I can detect. Sticky in mouth and gone after shallowed.

D - Tastes more like a soda pop. Looks like a dirty beer not unfiltered. Orange tasting with no other quilities noticed. Not good.

09-22-2008 01:57:10 | More by JMBSH
bfields4

1.7/5  rDev -49.4%

Pours a cloudy off yellow with a nice head.

Has a citrus aroma.

If you've ever drank the milk after eating a bowl of fruity pebbles... spot on i guess maybe add a little carbonation. Sick, I kept drinking just because I was so intrigued at how much it actually tastes like fruity pebbles.

If you can stomach through more than one of these (would say less but I guess I did get one down just because I was so intrigued) I am impressed.

04-03-2009 20:37:12 | More by bfields4
Anthony1

1.7/5  rDev -49.4%

Poured into a pint glass

Purchased this beer because i thought it was going to be a dark wheat beer. I had no idea it was a blueberry beer! Nothing in the label warned me.

Pours a light yellow, some what cloudy, with a thin white head that was quick to flee.

Smells very berry-tastic. some lemon and corriander.

Tastes way to sweet, i couldn't handle it. It was just a up front blueberry juice with a bit of orange, lemon, and corriander.

Light body, ok carbonation.

I make sure to stay away from this beer. way to sweet.

06-22-2009 01:56:27 | More by Anthony1
adammills

1.73/5  rDev -48.5%

Beer poured a very cloudy banana color with very little head. The smell is a bit of yeast and very strong citrus flavoring. It is the same in taste. It almost tastes like they used some super citrus candy extract to create this flavor because it is almost unnatural. Not pleasant at all and I really wanted to like this beer. Carbonation was sharp, and in pair with the flavor really sealed the deal on this brew not being worth it. I am shocked to see the ratings that others have given it. Lord I just hope the lines were dirty at the bar.

01-21-2007 02:02:06 | More by adammills
yourefragile

District of Columbia

1.73/5  rDev -48.5%

12 oz bottle with twist off

A: Maybe its just the season, but when I look at this beer all that comes to mind is apple cider instead of wheat beer. There appears to be some small bubbles just hanging out throughout the glass and a nice white head that dissipates quickly. Not that appealing.
S: As soon as I remove the cap, its blueberries! And more blueberries! And unfortunately that's it and it doesn't smell good, very artificial and fake.
T: Immediately I taste blueberries. Again they dominate all else. Might be a little pepper in there and the soul of a good wheat beer hiding, but I can't get past the fake blueberries.
M: Slightly watery medium bodied, not all together unpleasant. Very carbonated. It is refreshing in the summer, not a persistent aftertaste.
D: I've tried this beer a few times now, from different cases and never really understood the appeal. Granted I'm usually skeptical of fruity beers but all this reminds me of is a carbonated blueberry soda, it's hard to remind myself I'm drinking a beer. I've heard from some friends that it's better and different on tap, but I've never had the opportunity. Over the summer, it can be a refreshing beverage, but drinking this now, it's a beer I'll end up pouring out.

12-12-2007 00:02:58 | More by yourefragile