Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros

1.05/5  rDev -68.8%

First, let me say my benchmark for a wheat style beer is
Hacker Pschorr Weiss (with no lemon).
Spied the Leiny at the store. Looked interesting.
I drank and liked other Leiny products in the past, but this stuff was awful. Nowhere on the packaging or label does it mention anything about a fruit taste or hint of fruit.
The blueberry taste was overpowering. Blech. So sorry, Leiny. I've always considered you a reputable brewery and still do, but this stuff is just plain bad.

1.13/5  rDev -66.4%

The apperance is the only thing that impressed me (or should I say "fooled" me) about this beer.

Poured into a frosted mug, this beer looked beautiful. Dark golden-wheat...thought I was in for a treat.

Smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability AWFUL!!!

All I can say for all catagories is "perfume".

Yuk! Not even sure I would wear it as a cologne.

Sorry Leiny...I normally love your beers; but someone screwed up o this one.

1.25/5  rDev -62.8%

1.25/5  rDev -62.8%

1.35/5  rDev -59.8%

A- Cloudy golden appearance with very little head

S- Heavy citrus, near overpowering

T- I didn't know Tang (tm) made beer. The orange citrus flavor completely dominated any other flavors trying to compete.

I was very surprised by the flavor of this beer. I guess my first sign should have been the orange slice on the tap handle. The beer was far too sweet for my tastes, and failed to satisfy as a wheat beer.

1.38/5  rDev -58.9%

Terrible beer... if you can call it that. It was like drinking fermented pop. I generally like Leine but this was just an awful one to try and finish. Almost no head, any foam at the beginning fizzed away in seconds like a club soda. Doesn't even taste like hops were used in making it.

1.4/5  rDev -58.3%

I'm reviewing this beer from "notes" (consisting, in part, of vivid nightmares!!). I try really hard to like a beer, and have found few that I couldn't drink, but this execrable potion is one. I like most Leinie beers, and wish that some of them were more available in my area....But, when I try to find some Leinies, its usually this stuff that stares me in the face, or some variety pack wherein this "beer" figures prominently.

There's enough sediment in this beer, that it goes way beyond hazy and into the realm of "tainted". The sediment in one bottle was definitely discolored (as in decay). To compare the taste of this beer to Fruity Pebbles, as some have done, would be an insult to Fruity Pebbles. It's more like that old terrible cereal "Boo Berry" (yuck and double yuck)- really fakey fruit taste infused into puffed rice- this sounds not too far off, actually....

I have fond memories of Leinie's in the returnable longnecks-- I wish breweries would bring back this custom. Nowadays, I really like the amber lager, if available, and would really like to try the "creamy dark". But, they really miss with this one. Maybe if they get enough of this crap sent back, they'll replace it with something decent.

1.4/5  rDev -58.3%

This beer disappointed me enough to write my first review.

Aside from perhaps the color, there was nothing about this beer that reminded me of a traditional wheat beer. In fact, I could taste no wheat in it.

The aroma was very strong and sweet - a very good indicator of what the beer tastes like. Very fragrant, very berry-like.

The beer itself tastes more like a type of Smirnoff Ice beverage. It is VERY sweet and has an extremely strong blueberry taste.

I want to say the carbonation was nicely balanced - but it's hard to say when each sugary mouthful was causing me to wince.

My wife and I managed to finish off a bottle each but it was painful.

The packaging on the bottle does not hint of its "non-traditional" approach to a wheat beer. No mention of its sweetness or blueberry flavor.

Perhaps if this beer was categorized as a fruit beer then I would not be so harsh in my review. But then again, it's the sweetest and least beer-like fruit beer I've ever tasted.

1.4/5  rDev -58.3%

I feel dooped. The package is so inviting! However that is where the fun time ended... The cap twisted off and the fruity aroma hit my nose. I poured my cloudy beer into an imperial pint glass and noticed the lumps of things free floating. I know unfiltered is unfiltered but whoa! A fork may be needed. But always an optimist I began the quaff and felt my tastebuds getting mugged! Fruit explosion! More than should be in any beer! UCK! There was one brief moment when I thought I could taste pepper or maybe corriander but then the fruit overwhelmed it once and for all...

Over all this beer is a major disapointment. I was hot & thirsty. I was looking forward to

1.48/5  rDev -56%

Poured hazy in a pale yellow color with quickly disappearing, soapy foam. The smell was sweet and fruity, like artificial orange and bubble gum, maybe apples and pears too. Quite distinct and different actually. Unfortunately it tasted like lemonade made from "natural falvors" and dishwater. In fact, it started to look like it too. I'm sorry to say that it was a disappointment.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company