Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,249 | Reviews: 904
3.26/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Date: June 3, 2015... Glassware: Weihenstephan wheat... Occasion: pre-Fourth of July prep (mostly) done... Appearance: hazy, golden, glowing--an unfiltered look; the head is snow white and thick, leaving solar flares as it descends from a three-finger head to a quarter-inch cream... Aroma: surprisingly fruity hits early--coriander, yes, but bubblegum, malty wheat, and some woody hints; fragrant wheat esters complete an alluring start... Palate: smooth, slightly astringent sip; surprisingly creamy and medium-bodied; some effervescence late; some intrusion from pulpy, woody textures...Taste: the coriander suggests orange peel, with some odd bitterness and band-aid astringency; probably could use a garnish to amplify the flavor profile; otherwise, pretty limited .Overall: not quite the sunset promised by the label; the hops addition makes for a strong start, but the most important aspect of the experience--the taste--is a bit off...the beer is refreshing but not enjoyable as a stand-alone; crisp but uneven...

3.02/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Had this one in the bottle at a BBQ, figured I had to try it since this stuff is everywhere and all the BMC people like it. After trying my first sip, this stuff tastes like fruity pebbles. It's cloying in its sweetness and is artificial. Feels heavy in the stomach, barely tastes like beer.

3.86/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Well balanced and crisp, refreshing and very drinkable. Possibly one of the best mass production domestic wheat beers in the US market. Very enjoyable like most of Leinenkugel beers are. It makes a great summer beer and how can I ask for more than that?

4.67/5  rDev +38.6%

I love this beer. One I return to

My wife says it was "fluffy".... i love it too

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Clear orange color with citrus and another great aroma. I can't tell what it is, yeast? It smells great. I don't get the "Fruity pebbles" and licorice taste reviews, it doesn't taste any thing like that at all. But the taste doesn't stand out much, standard citrus and wheat mixture that I've had a lot of. Other than the incredible smell, it's an average wheat.

4.65/5  rDev +38%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Another one of those beers that I absolutely love but gets pretty average to mediocre reviews. Well I don't fancy myself a beer aficionado or expert or anything but this is one great tasting beer. It tastes like licorice with a balanced bitterness, floral-citris tones. This beer looks great, smells great, and tastes great. Buy a case!

4.74/5  rDev +40.7%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It tastes like Fruity Pebbles!

2.65/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Tastes like watered down blueberry syrup that's been carbonated. Blueberry flavor is way over the top and very artificial tasting. Extremely cloying. I could definitely see myself getting nauseous if I had another one, which I will not be doing. Trying to add some positivity here.. Nice soft mouthfeel. Would be curious to see what it would be like if they dialed down the blueberry.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Taste like your eating fruit loops but instead of milk you used loganberry with a red vine licorice spoon. Yeah just like that

4.6/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fruity, light white, fruit loop after taste

2.95/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Love wits not berries. Berry taste dominates

2.45/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Not impressed by this beer at all.

4.49/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer tastes like fruity pebbles. Usually that may be a bad thing but for some reason it works. Great in the summer time!!

3.95/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Great summer beer, it offers great citrus-y overtones. Has a smell and taste of Fruit Loops or Fruity Pebbles, which may sound weird but it is actually very refreshing and easy to drink on a hot summer day

I actually bought this by accident. I meant to get Leinenkugel's Octoberfest and this just happened to be in the wrong spot, but I didn't notice until I got home because the packaging color is the same. I usually like wheat beers, but this was pretty awful in my opinion. This is one of only two beers that I haven't been able to finish. (Which is saying something because if I start drinking a beer, regardless of it's my favorite or not, I'm going to try my best to finish it).

4.46/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great summer beer. My favorite offering from Leinenkugels.

4.27/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a great brew. It smells and tastes very similar to Fruity Pebbles, which may sound strange but it is very good. This is one of only two wheat ales I've had (the other being Blue Moon) and I vastly prefer this one.

4.39/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

What a gem of a beer, great taste and amazing aroma.

2.55/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

very nostalgic beer for me

1.6/5  rDev -52.5%

For me it's horrible. No way!!!!

4.33/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

One of my secret beers I have always loved! They got the blueberry smell and tase just right. Like fruity Pebbles cereal.

4.23/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Blueberry taste was really enjoyable. Really underrated beer.

4.81/5  rDev +42.7%

My Favorite Beer

This has been my favorite beer for about the past six months. I had a really, really lousy night last night and decided to pick up some of this on my way home. I poured some in a glass and unwound listening to some Albert King. I've got the other five bottles waiting for me at home now.

This is brewed by a small family-owned and operated brewery in Wisconsin. They are very creative and have several varieties of which as stated before this is my fav. It pours out a very light golden color not very cloudy with a hint of citrus in its smell. It's got a soft, fruity taste. It's not too heavy so you can drink it while you're grilling some carne asada on the deck, but it's also good to curl up with while you're listening to some blues.

3.94/5  rDev +16.9%

smooth and pretty good stuff. I'll have another.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company