Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Sunset WheatLeinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 887 | Hads: 2,282
2.91/5  rDev -13.4%

Looked good, felt good, smelled sweet, but the taste was WAY too sweet. I kept thinking I was smelling Froot Loops or Trix cereal. No kidding. It was almost overbearing. And the taste was even sweeter. I like Witbiers, but this is not one of my favorites. I like some of Leinenkugels other beers, but not this one.

3.48/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, a souvenir from the beer aisle of one of Sandpoint, Idaho's surprising number of large grocery stores.

This beer pours a murky, dark apricot amber colour, with two fingers of puffy, loosely foamy, and mildly bubbly dirty white head, which leaves some low-lying, yet hovering island profile lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of sharp orange-tinged bubblegum, yeasty blueberries, semi-sweet grainy wheat malt, sugary coriander and white pepper, and a plain, indistinct hop bitterness. The taste is more orange and blueberry confectionery fruitiness, a sturdy, and still fairly sweet wheatiness, faint coriander and muddled table-top mill pepper dust, untethered yeast, and the same hard to really pin down or care about hop bitters from the nose.

The carbonation is rather zippy in its fizzy and frothy, twin axe attacks (so say my various palates), the body medium-light in weight, and generally smooth, the fruitiness really aiding and abetting here. It finishes on the sweet side, natch, both generic wheat malt and lingering blueberry, orange, and neutered lemon fruity esters still abounding.

Not a bad wheat beer, simple, and easy enough to put back, especially if it's hot and sunny outside (gee, look at that, it is!), but not really all that much of a good example of the purported style. Too much sweet fruitiness, really, but that's a choice you have to make here - tasty, or true to style (not mutually exclusive, I get it)?

3.56/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

it's more sweet tasting than i'd prefer for a wheat beer but it's still pretty good. it has a lemony/grapefruity taste, similar to leinenkugles grapefruit shandy.

3.26/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Date: June 3, 2015... Glassware: Weihenstephan wheat... Occasion: pre-Fourth of July prep (mostly) done... Appearance: hazy, golden, glowing--an unfiltered look; the head is snow white and thick, leaving solar flares as it descends from a three-finger head to a quarter-inch cream... Aroma: surprisingly fruity hits early--coriander, yes, but bubblegum, malty wheat, and some woody hints; fragrant wheat esters complete an alluring start... Palate: smooth, slightly astringent sip; surprisingly creamy and medium-bodied; some effervescence late; some intrusion from pulpy, woody textures...Taste: the coriander suggests orange peel, with some odd bitterness and band-aid astringency; probably could use a garnish to amplify the flavor profile; otherwise, pretty limited .Overall: not quite the sunset promised by the label; the hops addition makes for a strong start, but the most important aspect of the experience--the taste--is a bit off...the beer is refreshing but not enjoyable as a stand-alone; crisp but uneven...

3.02/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Had this one in the bottle at a BBQ, figured I had to try it since this stuff is everywhere and all the BMC people like it. After trying my first sip, this stuff tastes like fruity pebbles. It's cloying in its sweetness and is artificial. Feels heavy in the stomach, barely tastes like beer.

3.86/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Well balanced and crisp, refreshing and very drinkable. Possibly one of the best mass production domestic wheat beers in the US market. Very enjoyable like most of Leinenkugel beers are. It makes a great summer beer and how can I ask for more than that?

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Clear orange color with citrus and another great aroma. I can't tell what it is, yeast? It smells great. I don't get the "Fruity pebbles" and licorice taste reviews, it doesn't taste any thing like that at all. But the taste doesn't stand out much, standard citrus and wheat mixture that I've had a lot of. Other than the incredible smell, it's an average wheat.

4.65/5  rDev +38.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Another one of those beers that I absolutely love but gets pretty average to mediocre reviews. Well I don't fancy myself a beer aficionado or expert or anything but this is one great tasting beer. It tastes like licorice with a balanced bitterness, floral-citris tones. This beer looks great, smells great, and tastes great. Buy a case!

2.65/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Tastes like watered down blueberry syrup that's been carbonated. Blueberry flavor is way over the top and very artificial tasting. Extremely cloying. I could definitely see myself getting nauseous if I had another one, which I will not be doing. Trying to add some positivity here.. Nice soft mouthfeel. Would be curious to see what it would be like if they dialed down the blueberry.

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Great summer beer, it offers great citrus-y overtones. Has a smell and taste of Fruit Loops or Fruity Pebbles, which may sound weird but it is actually very refreshing and easy to drink on a hot summer day

I actually bought this by accident. I meant to get Leinenkugel's Octoberfest and this just happened to be in the wrong spot, but I didn't notice until I got home because the packaging color is the same. I usually like wheat beers, but this was pretty awful in my opinion. This is one of only two beers that I haven't been able to finish. (Which is saying something because if I start drinking a beer, regardless of it's my favorite or not, I'm going to try my best to finish it).

4.27/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a great brew. It smells and tastes very similar to Fruity Pebbles, which may sound strange but it is very good. This is one of only two wheat ales I've had (the other being Blue Moon) and I vastly prefer this one.

4.81/5  rDev +43.2%

My Favorite Beer

This has been my favorite beer for about the past six months. I had a really, really lousy night last night and decided to pick up some of this on my way home. I poured some in a glass and unwound listening to some Albert King. I've got the other five bottles waiting for me at home now.

This is brewed by a small family-owned and operated brewery in Wisconsin. They are very creative and have several varieties of which as stated before this is my fav. It pours out a very light golden color not very cloudy with a hint of citrus in its smell. It's got a soft, fruity taste. It's not too heavy so you can drink it while you're grilling some carne asada on the deck, but it's also good to curl up with while you're listening to some blues.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance - 4/5
A very hazy light orange-brown. Minimal head. Can really see carbonation since it's so hazy, but if you hold up to a light, you can see a lot of carbonation flowing to the top. Overall, I really like the color and the haziness, and I think they work well together. More head would be nice though.

Smell - 4/5
Strong smells of blueberry, maybe a little bit of orange/citrus. Overall, a nice smell, I was not expecting the blueberry in this beer, but I like it.

Taste - 3.85/5
Blueberry, and orange-citrus flavors. Only slightly sweet, which is nice. A lot of beers with berry tastes are two sweet. This one is just right. Perhaps a little bit of malty flavor, as well as a tiny hint of hops. Overall, this is a nice tasting beer, especially considering it's pricepoint. Definitely a good beer for a hot summer day. My one complaint would be that the blueberry flavor is perhaps a bit too strong, and there's not enough beer taste. I would like to see them tweak this a bit, and then I think they could have a really excellent beer.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium-bodied, the carbonation is light but still very present, compliments the beer well. The beer is crisp. Overall, good feel in the mouth.

Overall - 3.8/5
Overall, I was very surprised by this beer. I just wanted to pick up a random cheap 6-pack, and this beer seemed like it might be good. But it was really an interesting brew, with the strong blueberry flavor. It's main strength is also it's main weakness though...I wish the blueberry was a little more subtle. Still a good choice, and I could see myself picking up a 6-pack again, maybe next summer.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

I think all of Leinenkugels' beers are the same: fruity and delicious, but leave you wishing they had something more distinguishing than which fruit is in this particular beer you're drinking at that moment.

3.81/5  rDev +13.4%

This is arguably the cheapest Witbier one can get. At Wal-Mart, six packs in my area sell for a little under six dollars. So if this is a winner, it's gonna be a winner on several levels.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (4.25) : I'm already impressed. I just reviewed Wasatch's lame attempt at a witbier (twice as much and harder to find) and this one is already looking better. Nice three fingered creamy head with a thick, hazy mango nectar appearance. I love the depth, and the opacity is about 70%. The haze tells me there's genuine unfiltered wheat here. The head stays put quite well and has only receded a little bit to a two fingered head within the last minute of starting this review. Lacing is left in licks and rings on the glass.

Aroma (4.25) : Oh dear. Honey, ginger, orange, a little coriander. It's all here. Some toffee and caramel notes...it just smells heavenly. It's like orange sherbet from when I was a kid at grandma's house. Just...wow.

Taste (3.5) : A bit watery, with hints of wheat, and then at the end there's an orange dreamsickle punch that just hits the back of your tongue sweetly. Finishes with a club soda/orange sherbet finish. I would have liked more body and depth but for a $6 six pack, I can't be too upset.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Creamy, medium bodied - if a bit watery, and a yeasty finish.

Overall (3.81) : For as cheap as it is, it's an easy drinking wheat beer. It scratches the surface of the witbier style but can't quite compete with the likes of Hoegaarden or Weihenstephaner. I would buy this beer again, and yes by the six pack. It's easy drinking and very sessionable.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Sampling right now on 10/18/14, though I had it on tap back in Florida. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "Leinenkugel's" shaker pint glass.

Pours a hazy golden-amber in color with a good 1+-finger creamy/foamy white head that settles down to around 2-3mm that lasts the whole drink. Decent sheets of lacing is seen that slips back down the sides of the glass except a few small areas that stick. The aroma is of grains and some citrus zest with a hint of spice. The taste starts out sweet with a slight bitter lemon/orange zest but finishes decent and doesn't last. Seems to be a hint of pine in the mix also. Lighter+ bodied with average carbonation. Overall, it was decent and drinkable.

4.11/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A single bottle was given to me by my sister-in-law...I decided to try it after mowing the lawn on a hot day with minimal expectations. Nonic pint, about 37º.

A=Much darker than anticipated, cloudy, with a large, foaming white head.

S=Citrus--orange and lemon.

T=Pleasantly surprised by the first taste--definite lemon and orange presence...both sweet and sour.

M=Unlike most Leinie offerings, this one had a rather full body...with fair carbonation.

O=I finally found a Leinenkugel product that I might buy again...I haven't quite finished it yet, but will enjoy this one.

3.61/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Again, Leinenkugel continues to wow me in many different ways, providing me with memorable flavors in numerous different varieties. If we're referring to it as a "macrobrew," then it's currently my favorite macrobrew, for few other breweries I've had churn out more and more delicious products with extreme consistency.

Sunset Wheat is, by far, the brewery's most underrated offering to date. We don't carry it at my specific store, but I feel it compliments the summer season beautifully, and just as well as their equally impressive line of shandies. The beer, a lot like Bell's Oberon, bears a taste eerily similar to the smell and intoxication one gets from the archetypal summer night, and to that I don't complain. It's a taste that combines the succulent aroma of aromatic hops combined with a taste that's equal parts fruity and absorbing as it is slightly bitter, but nowhere near the offputting equivalent of a pale ale.

All and all, another great beer from a terrific brewery. Here's to officially earning it.

12oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Hazy golden color with an off-white head that starts out decent, but deflates to a creamy cap. Not much in the way of lacing.

S: A bit of yeast and an almost overwhelming blueberry aroma. Light hints of lemon and coriander underneath, but it's hard to tell... those damn blueberries, man.

T: Not much of a surprise here, but certainly more pleasant than the nose. Blueberries, lemons, slight orange rind, coriander, hints of cloves perhaps, rounded off by some surprisingly fresh wheat. Absolutely no bitterness to be found here, but the finish is mostly spice which settles the sweetness a little.

M: Nothing special to be noted here. Slightly below medium-bodied with a bit of a soda-like carbonation. Flows smoothly over the tongue and drinks easy. Everything you'd expect in an introductory craft beer marketed towards more casual drinkers.

O: I've nothing overly negative to say about Sunset Wheat. Not only did it serve as a bridge into the craft world for me, but it's actually NOT bad. Artificial tasting and slightly gimmicky? You could definitely say that. Off-putting? Not quite. My family is quite the fan of Leinenkugel's offerings (as well as some beers I shan't name) and I can always find refuge in Sunset Wheat when the beers start flowing at family BBQs.

2.81/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I will preface this with the statement that this is my least favorite of the Leinenkugel Line…I think they overplayed the fake blueberry scent and taste, with a more than healthy overdose of cloves/spices. I picked up a more than noticeable banana aftertaste. All of this combines to leave me searching to much for the beer flavor. Makes me think they brewed something wrong, then tried to fix it.

I would like to try this on tap and see if it does better, I may have just had the wrong beer in the wrong place.

3.54/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a cloudy orange in a 16oz pub glass with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly and does not leave much lacing.

Smell is magnificent with a fruity, blueberry smell to it with maybe a little lemon.

Taste is good with that blueberry being the prominent player with that little bit of lemon at the end. This is not the first time I have had this beer as I tend to enjoy it. Sometimes I have gotten a unpleasent perfume taste but I did not get that this time.

Mouth feel is smooth and velvety with not a lot of carbonation.

Overall a great beer to my taste. I really like fruit beer and this one definitely does not disappoint in that respect.

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat 6pk bottles $8.99(OH)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. Freshness date painted just below bottle neck.

Pours a Orange, burnt gold color. Looks like a witbier. A two finger bright white head that goes away pretty quick, Leaving some lines of lacing running down.

The aroma is a nice bright orange smell, with a few spices. Wheat and coriander. Smells a lot like blue moon but the coriander is much more subtle.

Taste follows the nose. An excellent balance of oranges, wheats, and spices. Tastes a lot like blue moon, but in my opinion much better. The coriander is more subtle, and lets the wheaty orange shine through. There is a slight taste of blueberries in the finish.

Mouth feel is good. No complaints. Good carbonation. You never want to over carbonate a wheat beer. Smooth crisp and clean from start to finish.

Overall In my opinion this is what blue moon should be. An almost perfect balance of wheat oranges and spices. Blue moon is strong on the coriander. This is a nice witbier. One of my favorite from leinie's. I will buy it over blue moon anyday, but witbiers aren't my favorite style.

3.2/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a murky brownish yellow color, smells of wheat citric coriander and blueberry. It really does taste like fruity pebbles, with a wheat kick at the end.

This is one of those beers that serves a purpose, it's a great fruity beer for summer time. I would never drink it otherwise, but it makes a perfect campfire beer.

Love this beer. I'm a big fan of all of Leinenkugel's seasonals though. When smelling and tasting the sunset wheat, it resembles fruit loops in my opinion. I could easily drink a six pack of this in a short period of time, and I have. Definitely give this a try if you like fruity tasting beers.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company