1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Sunset WheatLeinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Ratings: 1,860 | Reviews: 862 | Show All Ratings:
Treyliff

West Virginia

3.21/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a murky brownish yellow color, smells of wheat citric coriander and blueberry. It really does taste like fruity pebbles, with a wheat kick at the end.

This is one of those beers that serves a purpose, it's a great fruity beer for summer time. I would never drink it otherwise, but it makes a perfect campfire beer.

04-08-2014 21:19:34 | More by Treyliff
Keystone_Beer_Wench

4.43/5  rDev +31.8%

I have drank this beer, A LOT. It is archived as one of my all time favorites! My reference is to "fruity pebbles" When you drink this beer, it's like dessert yet not too sweet. Surprisingly light and fruity. You can tell it's a wheat beer just by the appearance and taste. This beer pairs well with just about everything, even chocolate. It's too bad they don't make scratch and sniff stickers for this beer, because I would buy them! This is the kind of beer, if you like wheat beer, to buy and drink a six pack in one sitting. Not a disappointment.

11-03-2013 13:23:26 | More by Keystone_Beer_Wench
DragonsSlippers

4.75/5  rDev +41.4%

Appearance: - Golden wheat color, cloudy. Head was mostly lasting with fair lacing.

Sent: Sweet wheat aroma with lemon zest, blueberry, and some floral notes.

Taste: Very crisp, fresh taste with a hint of blueberry

Mouth feel: : Smooth and light bodied, slightly hoppy at the beginning, giving way to a wheat complexion with the lemon and blueberry.

Overall Impression: Loved the blueberry aroma/taste. It was stronger in the scent than in the flavor. Excellent when cold, okay when starting to get warm.

11-15-2012 05:56:08 | More by DragonsSlippers
PorterLambic

3.35/5  rDev -0.3%

Arrives a hazy orangish yellow with an off-white head. Retention is short but decent lacing.
Smell is wheat, light citrus and sweet. Fairly light overall.
Taste is better with wheat, malt, citrus, light hops and an artificial sweetness. Balance is fine.
Until the aftertaste, this a straight up wheat. Aftertaste has a sugary, artificial aspect that is a bit off-putting. It ain't bad, but it ain't great. Drink it if someone else is buying.

05-12-2012 00:12:32 | More by PorterLambic
KeshiaM

1.8/5  rDev -46.4%

Had it on tap and was told it was similar to Blue Moon. Sadly it wasn't.
The appearance was a cloudy yellowish/orange with a white head that dissipated quickly and left lacing. It had an unpleasant smell, like skunky oranges.
The taste was just as disappointing. The orange taste was metallic and tasted like it had turned. Highly carbonated to the point of fizziness. By the time I finished it had made me sick.
The only positive was the mouthfeel with its yeasty, sediment texture typical of wheat beers.
Overall I would never order this again.

03-12-2012 01:34:00 | More by KeshiaM
kylehay2004

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

Half finger head with little lacing on a murky golden and crimson body. Very little to the aroma with hints of wheat and a Maury presence. Mostly wheat but overall a rather bland flavor. Not mcu else is there that is easy to detect. High carbonation and light body. Very crisp and refreshing. Overall a plain beer for the masses. Easy to drink but offers little else.

01-22-2012 01:03:05 | More by kylehay2004
Windigo

4.58/5  rDev +36.3%

I used to carry this on tap when I bartended in Florida. I am not always a fan of the wheats, be they Heffes, American Wheats or Belgian White styles....but this on draft was amazing. It is a beautiful yellow color pouring into a pint and the heady smell of freshly made blueberry waffles fills the entire bar. Nope, I'm not kidding. Many patrons asked what it was I was making in the back of the pub...then I'd throw them a taster of this. It is perfect for summer though it isn't overly, overly sweet. I still found it incredibly refreshing and lacking in the typical skunk of the wheat brews. While it loses it's preciousness aroma-wise in bottle, the taste remained pretty true. Totally dig!

11-28-2011 21:20:20 | More by Windigo
tnaratil

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Had on our well maintained keg system. 40 degrees. Drank out of many glasses witbier glass Duvel Tulip, perfect pint etc. NO FRUIT halves.

A- Hazy golden orange with thick head that dissipates quickly. Moderate to light lacing.

S- Blueberry apricot. Light not overpowering, would like more of a nose, even when we let it warm the nose wasn't very dominant.

T- Citrus fruity front end that finishes with a lingering wheat taste. Kinda fruity pebbelish.

M- Thick, very carbonated (could my my PSI on keg). Lingers in pallet.

D- High drank 10 each after a six pack of Hopback Amber and woke up fully functioning. Great sit in the back yard and watch the leaves fall. Very refreshing.

O- I tend to like a a hoppier more "big" beer but this is very chuggable, and tasty. Wife loves it. Will put on tap again for sure.

This is our opinion at the end of the kegs last few.

10-20-2011 23:44:11 | More by tnaratil
Carlton1964

4.78/5  rDev +42.3%

This looked good right from the start. Nice deep golden color,
a awesome fruity aroma, and a nice creamy foam top. I knew before it touched my lips...this was gonna be good.

The taste had so many fruits I was unable to pinpoint what the hell they actually were....but I loved this stuff. Why did it take be 46 years to discover it. Thank you Cleveland Indians!

The creamy feeling on the palate combined with the fruity taste makes it the best summer brew I've ever had.

10-11-2011 06:49:09 | More by Carlton1964
csiewert

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev -7.7%

This beer enjoyed at the abner pub in Norman, ok. This beer pours a hazy golden color with a trace of white bubbly head that retains a little bit, but laces poorly. The aroma is strong with orange, orange, orange, some blueberry an a little spiciness. The taste has wheat notes with an abundance of orange, blueberry and finishes with some spiciness. The mouthfeel is somewhat empty. Overall an ok wheat during summertime... But a little too fruity for my taste.

06-13-2011 22:04:17 | More by csiewert
ranger7

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%

On-tap at the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, "Beers of the World" concession stand (Third Base entrance). Served with a wedge of lemon.

A - Very bright and cheery. Looks light. Small head which dissipated quickly, leaving a bit of lacing behind.

S - Fruity. I don't know about the "fruit loops" smell of the other reviewers here, but it is at least a citrusy-sweet smell. Like an orange. Possibly some coriander, as mentioned in the 'notes' section above.

T - Light - no doubt about it, it's a wheat beer. Also sweet, the lemon slice helps balance it by adding a bit of a tart kick. Quite refreshing.

M - Smooth, but unfortunate sweet film coats the mouth after a while. Eat something with this - peanuts, Cracker Jacks, you know the drill.

Summary - Definitely not a beer to swoon over, but as far as the Ballpark goes, this is one of the better choices. Better than any light beer, refreshing, and a good drink on a hot day. I would drink it again, at the ballgame, but not from a six-pack at home. Recommended with a slice of lemon.

06-10-2011 23:28:08 | More by ranger7
Knapp85

4.5/5  rDev +33.9%

This is by far my favorite from Leinie's, I had this beer for the first time at Ozzfest 2007. I was probably charged out the ass for it there but at the time I wanted a beer and I wanted something other than Miller or Coors. This beer was perfect for that blistering hot summer day out in the elements of my least favorite season. Had these been cheaper there I would have gotten a lot more.

The beer had been on my mind till I came across it again at a local bar on tap. I was really stoked to have it again. I ordered up a pint and they dolled it up with an orange slice which I tossed into the glass once I got it. I figured why not?

The beer was a really nice hazy golden orange color with a foamy white head on top what gave off a pretty good lacing. The smell is so refreshing, It's got orange, melon, blueberries, lemon and the some nice grainy aromas coming through. The taste is a sweet but not disgustingly sweet. It's got a great balance in my opinion between the fruity sweetness and the grainy base of the beer. The fruit flavors are dominant throughout the beer but maintain their strength and don't become bland. The mouthfeel is very smooth and lightly carbonated. This beer could easily be drank very quickly. This is my "goto" beer for the summer season. Seldom will I pick something other than this one if it's available.

05-19-2011 21:02:56 | More by Knapp85
Rifugium

2.53/5  rDev -24.7%

First had: on tap at the TLA, Philly, PA

Poured a cloudy golden with some carbonation, and a foamy two fingers of white head. Garnished with an orange wedge. Citrus and sweet sugars in the aroma. Sweet malty taste, and very citrusy, almost juice-like. Some hop bitterness makes its way through. Light mouthfeel, and fairly drinkable, but a bit on the sweet side for my taste, and lacking the crispness that--to me--defines a good witbier.

05-13-2011 16:12:43 | More by Rifugium
Dan3279

3.73/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on-tap tonight at the Cavs game. I was originally going to wait until the middle of the summer to give this one a try because I figured it would be a great summer beer and I was right. I won't give it a full review but I agree with what has already been said this beer tastes like fruity pebbles. The beer is on the sweet side but for me the berry / fruit flavor didn't make the sweetness a turnoff. Overall I enjoyed it and it would be something I would only drink again in the summer.

04-15-2011 01:58:18 | More by Dan3279
ronniebruner

Arizona

2.63/5  rDev -21.7%

Bought a pint of this stuff at a local spring training baseball game. Not impressed at all. The beer was a yellowish hue, not even a bit of gold. The beer tasted very light, not like any other witbier I have had and tasted more like hoppy water than beer. An immense amount of frothy head mixed with an overabundance of carbonation left this beer as a total disappointment. It could be worse, but not by much.

03-01-2011 04:58:05 | More by ronniebruner
TheKingofWichita

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a very hazy golden yellow orange color with a thick white soapy head and a good amount of lacing. Smells of blueberry pancakes, spices, and wheat. Tastes of slight blueberry, wheat malts, coriander, nice spices. Mouthfeel is medium with a heavy carbonation. Drinkability is good.

02-25-2011 02:06:39 | More by TheKingofWichita
CuriousMonk

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

From notes: On tap at a Washington Nationals baseball game poured into a plastic cup. Pours a cloudy orange with a thin white head. Has a nice aroma of citrus fruits and wheat. A little on the lighter side but still refreshing. Smooth and lacking bitterness. A crisp and clean finish. Overall a pretty decent beer.

02-09-2011 22:45:04 | More by CuriousMonk

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

The Sunset Wheat is a great summer beer. The smell of Fruity Pebbles hits your nose immediately. I explain to people that it smells like one of my favorite cereals. They stick their noses to the glass and a look of surprise shows on their face and stays there after the taste! I prefer no fruit in my beer. The taste should say enough.

02-06-2011 07:54:43 | More by FollowedMyFolly
smcolw

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Thin but lasting head, leaves a white coating of lace. The broth is a cloudy Orange-light amber.

Raisin and raspberry aroma. People around me smelled blueberries. Generally sweet nose.

There's a citrusy flavor initially. decent body with a lower level of carbonation. The finish is mildly sour. light stone fruit finish of alto of and cherry.

12-22-2010 18:56:20 | More by smcolw
Fieldzy27

2.65/5  rDev -21.1%

Reviewed from notes

A-Pours tangerine and gold with an ultra white head made of foamy bubbles. Not lace on the glass and quite a few carbonation bubbles inflating the head a bit.

S-citrus fruity sweetness dominates the nose with some other interesting spice. But not really all that much here. Banana and wheat are there in short supply.

T-Only real flavor her is an overpowering sweetness and nothing to back it up. Not enough malt at all and the flavor seems added.Where the hell is the wheat?

M-Overcarbonated and thin but not to the point of me not being bale to finish it.

D-Better than some other sad options and I would for sure drink it over any macro. It kind of has its place in the world for a cheap summer beach beer I guess. Sure beats Corona.

12-04-2010 14:38:25 | More by Fieldzy27
morebeergood

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

On tap at the Yardhouse in Dedham. Served in a standard pint glass. Cloudy yellow body with a fizzy white head. Smell had a bit of citrus to it. Taste was a bit unusual. I find it odd that there was a hint of blueberry in a witbier. I still cannot figure out why every Leinie beer I try has some weird Fruity Pebbles cereal fake fruit flavor in it. I guess that's their marketing angle. Mouthfeel was decent for the style; fairly smooth. Drinkability was just average in my book. I wanted to have something easy at the end of the night, and I end up with this fruity beer. I should have just ordered a witbier that I knew was good. This just re-enforces my belief that I have not found a Leinie beer that I like yet. Will I keep searching? Not sure.

10-12-2010 14:54:34 | More by morebeergood
socon67

3.93/5  rDev +17%

Had in a pint glass at Miller's Ale House, Babylon NY.

A - Light orange with a light foam. A little cloudy.

S - Sweet, and with noticeable tratia of fruit. Lemon and orange are clearly present.

T - Very pleasant to drink. There is the the taste of wheat along with the sweet citrus taste. This is a classic beer to drink in the summer.

M - Not heavy at all, and the sweet taste does not disappear in the finish.

D - You can drink this quite often. A definite go to brew when you want to have a few beers, and enjoy them as well.

I've tried this one a while back, and was glad to review again before the summer ended.

09-16-2010 00:04:06 | More by socon67
Dunkle

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Golden and a little cloudy when held up to the light. Decent amount of white head.

S: Probably the fruitiest beer I've smelt to date. Many fruits are present here: orange, peach, and maybe pear.

T: This brew tastes like Fruity Pebbles. Distinct taste, quite fruity, but nothing too special.

M: Light-bodied and weak.

D: This is easy to drink for the most part, but it does get sweet after awhile. A session beer, but you can find better.

09-15-2010 04:43:35 | More by Dunkle
deebo

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

A-darker than other witbiers but not as cloudy

S-Nice citrus aroma (dominated by orange) plenty of coriander spice

T-Too much orange creates an imbalanced flavor

M-thinner than others of this style

D-Okay for a few but astringency and fruitiness overwhelms if looking to knock down a pile of these.

09-14-2010 03:37:35 | More by deebo
ChopperSmith

2.9/5  rDev -13.7%

Had a few of these on tap at Summerfest in Milwaukee.

Appearance: Slightly hazy amber color with a half finger of white head.

Smell: Light, fruity, citrus and blueberry. A very sweet and fruity smelling brew.

Taste: Wheaty (naturally) with flavors of orange, lemon and there is that blueberry again...but subtle. Not bad for a summer refresher when it's served very cold.

Mouth Feel: Light-bodied and thin with a lot of carbonation.

Drinkability: Not bad for a wheaty summer brew. Not quite the flavor I expect from a true 'witbier'...but not bad either. Maybe just a tad too sweet and fruity.

07-04-2010 22:25:14 | More by ChopperSmith