Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Leinenkugel's Sunset WheatLeinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

Added by jj21 on 03-16-2006

Reviews: 894 | Ratings: 2,321
3.69/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From notes taken 05/03/16:

Very cloudy light honey amber with lemon-white foamy head of moderate retention. Sweet oranges, sour lemons, and peel of either to the nose, but also honey and shortcake. Witbier palate, sweet and citrusy, blueberries, some bread, some rindy bitterness. Medium-bodied, smooth, sudsy to sloshy with fine tingles. If this is indeed a Witbier, Leinie surprisingly does a better job than a number of craft breweries (which Leinie, according to some, does not qualify as).

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a slightly rusty dark golden yellow with a half finger of white foam.

Citrus fruit, wheat, grainy.

Lemon and orange zest, mild spice, herbal/floral hop bitterness.

Light-bodied, medium-high carbonation.

Overall, a light and refreshing wheat beer.

2.58/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured a single bottle of this into a beer glass.
Pours this cloudy dark yellowish/brown colour. Minimal foam head that does not sit or last except around the edge of the glass.

Smells fruity, like peach or citrus.

Taste is interesting, tastes more fruity than I was expecting for a wheat beer, almost like peach. But not so strong that it's a peach flavor, more of a hint.

Feels smooth, moderate carbonation that rolls off the tongue.

Overall, too fruity for me, but pleasantly surprised.

3.78/5  rDev +12.5%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, best before 4/18/2016. Pours hazy golden orange color with a 1-2 finger dense and rocky white head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of lemon, blueberry, peach, orange peel, coriander, light pepper/clove, wheat, cracker, light honey, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of fruity/earthy yeast, fruit/spice, and moderate pale malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of big lemon, blueberry, peach, orange peel, coriander, light pepper/clove, wheat, cracker, light honey, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Light herbal/spice bitterness and minimal fruit tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon, blueberry, peach, orange peel, coriander, wheat, cracker, light honey, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice complexity, robustness, and balance of fruity/earthy yeast, fruit/spice, and moderate pale malt flavors; with a great malt/bitter/spiciness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy/bready, and slightly sticky balanced mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 4.9%. Overall this is a very good fruited witbier style. All around good complexity, robustness, and balance of fruity/earthy yeast, fruit/spice, and moderate pale malt flavors; and very smooth and refreshing to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.91/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Took a sip from Atticus before the Grizzlies game. A nice version of what it is - a wheat beer with a hint of blueberry. The fruit is mostly in the nose. Cloudy in a good way.

4.48/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

To me, this beer requires context. Please, if you think you don't like it, have a cookout. This is the perfect beer to accompany a good beat. In fact, I'm having one right now! Just try it...

4.37/5  rDev +30.1%

Pours a very hazy orangeish gold color with plenty of head. Smells like blueberry when you pour it into a typical pint glass. Do not see a whole lot of carbonation but lacing is definitely there and hangs on for quite a while. Initial taste is fruity, blueberrys, citrus and light yeast. Aftertaste is pleasant and dry, making you want more. Overall I really enjoy this beer. This is the 1st fruity brew that I think has been done well. Is a good change but I don't think I could site down and drink a 6-pack, to sweet for volume consumption.

2.91/5  rDev -13.4%

Looked good, felt good, smelled sweet, but the taste was WAY too sweet. I kept thinking I was smelling Froot Loops or Trix cereal. No kidding. It was almost overbearing. And the taste was even sweeter. I like Witbiers, but this is not one of my favorites. I like some of Leinenkugels other beers, but not this one.

3.48/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, a souvenir from the beer aisle of one of Sandpoint, Idaho's surprising number of large grocery stores.

This beer pours a murky, dark apricot amber colour, with two fingers of puffy, loosely foamy, and mildly bubbly dirty white head, which leaves some low-lying, yet hovering island profile lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of sharp orange-tinged bubblegum, yeasty blueberries, semi-sweet grainy wheat malt, sugary coriander and white pepper, and a plain, indistinct hop bitterness. The taste is more orange and blueberry confectionery fruitiness, a sturdy, and still fairly sweet wheatiness, faint coriander and muddled table-top mill pepper dust, untethered yeast, and the same hard to really pin down or care about hop bitters from the nose.

The carbonation is rather zippy in its fizzy and frothy, twin axe attacks (so say my various palates), the body medium-light in weight, and generally smooth, the fruitiness really aiding and abetting here. It finishes on the sweet side, natch, both generic wheat malt and lingering blueberry, orange, and neutered lemon fruity esters still abounding.

Not a bad wheat beer, simple, and easy enough to put back, especially if it's hot and sunny outside (gee, look at that, it is!), but not really all that much of a good example of the purported style. Too much sweet fruitiness, really, but that's a choice you have to make here - tasty, or true to style (not mutually exclusive, I get it)?

3.56/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

it's more sweet tasting than i'd prefer for a wheat beer but it's still pretty good. it has a lemony/grapefruity taste, similar to leinenkugles grapefruit shandy.

3.26/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Date: June 3, 2015... Glassware: Weihenstephan wheat... Occasion: pre-Fourth of July prep (mostly) done... Appearance: hazy, golden, glowing--an unfiltered look; the head is snow white and thick, leaving solar flares as it descends from a three-finger head to a quarter-inch cream... Aroma: surprisingly fruity hits early--coriander, yes, but bubblegum, malty wheat, and some woody hints; fragrant wheat esters complete an alluring start... Palate: smooth, slightly astringent sip; surprisingly creamy and medium-bodied; some effervescence late; some intrusion from pulpy, woody textures...Taste: the coriander suggests orange peel, with some odd bitterness and band-aid astringency; probably could use a garnish to amplify the flavor profile; otherwise, pretty limited .Overall: not quite the sunset promised by the label; the hops addition makes for a strong start, but the most important aspect of the experience--the taste--is a bit off...the beer is refreshing but not enjoyable as a stand-alone; crisp but uneven...

3.02/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Had this one in the bottle at a BBQ, figured I had to try it since this stuff is everywhere and all the BMC people like it. After trying my first sip, this stuff tastes like fruity pebbles. It's cloying in its sweetness and is artificial. Feels heavy in the stomach, barely tastes like beer.

3.86/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Well balanced and crisp, refreshing and very drinkable. Possibly one of the best mass production domestic wheat beers in the US market. Very enjoyable like most of Leinenkugel beers are. It makes a great summer beer and how can I ask for more than that?

4.28/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Clear orange color with citrus and another great aroma. I can't tell what it is, yeast? It smells great. I don't get the "Fruity pebbles" and licorice taste reviews, it doesn't taste any thing like that at all. But the taste doesn't stand out much, standard citrus and wheat mixture that I've had a lot of. Other than the incredible smell, it's an average wheat.

4.65/5  rDev +38.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Another one of those beers that I absolutely love but gets pretty average to mediocre reviews. Well I don't fancy myself a beer aficionado or expert or anything but this is one great tasting beer. It tastes like licorice with a balanced bitterness, floral-citris tones. This beer looks great, smells great, and tastes great. Buy a case!

2.65/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Tastes like watered down blueberry syrup that's been carbonated. Blueberry flavor is way over the top and very artificial tasting. Extremely cloying. I could definitely see myself getting nauseous if I had another one, which I will not be doing. Trying to add some positivity here.. Nice soft mouthfeel. Would be curious to see what it would be like if they dialed down the blueberry.

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Great summer beer, it offers great citrus-y overtones. Has a smell and taste of Fruit Loops or Fruity Pebbles, which may sound weird but it is actually very refreshing and easy to drink on a hot summer day

I actually bought this by accident. I meant to get Leinenkugel's Octoberfest and this just happened to be in the wrong spot, but I didn't notice until I got home because the packaging color is the same. I usually like wheat beers, but this was pretty awful in my opinion. This is one of only two beers that I haven't been able to finish. (Which is saying something because if I start drinking a beer, regardless of it's my favorite or not, I'm going to try my best to finish it).

4.27/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a great brew. It smells and tastes very similar to Fruity Pebbles, which may sound strange but it is very good. This is one of only two wheat ales I've had (the other being Blue Moon) and I vastly prefer this one.

4.81/5  rDev +43.2%

My Favorite Beer

This has been my favorite beer for about the past six months. I had a really, really lousy night last night and decided to pick up some of this on my way home. I poured some in a glass and unwound listening to some Albert King. I've got the other five bottles waiting for me at home now.

This is brewed by a small family-owned and operated brewery in Wisconsin. They are very creative and have several varieties of which as stated before this is my fav. It pours out a very light golden color not very cloudy with a hint of citrus in its smell. It's got a soft, fruity taste. It's not too heavy so you can drink it while you're grilling some carne asada on the deck, but it's also good to curl up with while you're listening to some blues.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance - 4/5
A very hazy light orange-brown. Minimal head. Can really see carbonation since it's so hazy, but if you hold up to a light, you can see a lot of carbonation flowing to the top. Overall, I really like the color and the haziness, and I think they work well together. More head would be nice though.

Smell - 4/5
Strong smells of blueberry, maybe a little bit of orange/citrus. Overall, a nice smell, I was not expecting the blueberry in this beer, but I like it.

Taste - 3.85/5
Blueberry, and orange-citrus flavors. Only slightly sweet, which is nice. A lot of beers with berry tastes are two sweet. This one is just right. Perhaps a little bit of malty flavor, as well as a tiny hint of hops. Overall, this is a nice tasting beer, especially considering it's pricepoint. Definitely a good beer for a hot summer day. My one complaint would be that the blueberry flavor is perhaps a bit too strong, and there's not enough beer taste. I would like to see them tweak this a bit, and then I think they could have a really excellent beer.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium-bodied, the carbonation is light but still very present, compliments the beer well. The beer is crisp. Overall, good feel in the mouth.

Overall - 3.8/5
Overall, I was very surprised by this beer. I just wanted to pick up a random cheap 6-pack, and this beer seemed like it might be good. But it was really an interesting brew, with the strong blueberry flavor. It's main strength is also it's main weakness though...I wish the blueberry was a little more subtle. Still a good choice, and I could see myself picking up a 6-pack again, maybe next summer.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

I think all of Leinenkugels' beers are the same: fruity and delicious, but leave you wishing they had something more distinguishing than which fruit is in this particular beer you're drinking at that moment.

3.81/5  rDev +13.4%

This is arguably the cheapest Witbier one can get. At Wal-Mart, six packs in my area sell for a little under six dollars. So if this is a winner, it's gonna be a winner on several levels.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (4.25) : I'm already impressed. I just reviewed Wasatch's lame attempt at a witbier (twice as much and harder to find) and this one is already looking better. Nice three fingered creamy head with a thick, hazy mango nectar appearance. I love the depth, and the opacity is about 70%. The haze tells me there's genuine unfiltered wheat here. The head stays put quite well and has only receded a little bit to a two fingered head within the last minute of starting this review. Lacing is left in licks and rings on the glass.

Aroma (4.25) : Oh dear. Honey, ginger, orange, a little coriander. It's all here. Some toffee and caramel notes...it just smells heavenly. It's like orange sherbet from when I was a kid at grandma's house. Just...wow.

Taste (3.5) : A bit watery, with hints of wheat, and then at the end there's an orange dreamsickle punch that just hits the back of your tongue sweetly. Finishes with a club soda/orange sherbet finish. I would have liked more body and depth but for a $6 six pack, I can't be too upset.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Creamy, medium bodied - if a bit watery, and a yeasty finish.

Overall (3.81) : For as cheap as it is, it's an easy drinking wheat beer. It scratches the surface of the witbier style but can't quite compete with the likes of Hoegaarden or Weihenstephaner. I would buy this beer again, and yes by the six pack. It's easy drinking and very sessionable.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Sampling right now on 10/18/14, though I had it on tap back in Florida. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "Leinenkugel's" shaker pint glass.

Pours a hazy golden-amber in color with a good 1+-finger creamy/foamy white head that settles down to around 2-3mm that lasts the whole drink. Decent sheets of lacing is seen that slips back down the sides of the glass except a few small areas that stick. The aroma is of grains and some citrus zest with a hint of spice. The taste starts out sweet with a slight bitter lemon/orange zest but finishes decent and doesn't last. Seems to be a hint of pine in the mix also. Lighter+ bodied with average carbonation. Overall, it was decent and drinkable.

4.11/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A single bottle was given to me by my sister-in-law...I decided to try it after mowing the lawn on a hot day with minimal expectations. Nonic pint, about 37º.

A=Much darker than anticipated, cloudy, with a large, foaming white head.

S=Citrus--orange and lemon.

T=Pleasantly surprised by the first taste--definite lemon and orange presence...both sweet and sour.

M=Unlike most Leinie offerings, this one had a rather full body...with fair carbonation.

O=I finally found a Leinenkugel product that I might buy again...I haven't quite finished it yet, but will enjoy this one.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company