2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Sunset WheatLeinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Ratings: 1,865 | Reviews: 862 | Show All Ratings:
Mavigo

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

A - a golden orange/light brown, has wheat grains floating in it,

S - Smells somewhat like fruit, can also smell wheat, hops

T - Tastes pretty good, can taste, wheat, hops

M - Refreshing, relaxing, very crisp, clean, a pleasure to sip on

O - Great for a summer afternoon, while it may not be outstanding, it is still very good

07-13-2012 00:26:25 | More by Mavigo
metter98

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

A: The beer is hazy light pale yellow in color. It poured with a finger high white head that died down, leaving a bit of lacing on the surface and a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: Aromas of orange peel stand out in the nose, which also has some hints of berries.
T: The taste is also similar to the smell and also has flavors of wheat.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is both easy to drink and refreshing. The berries add an interesting twist and make the taste a bit different compared to other beers in the style.

10-31-2011 23:26:04 | More by metter98
ForWhatAlesYou

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%

Review #200
12 ounce can as part of a Leinie's summer pack.

I have reviewed this one from a bottle this past spring and this will be somewhat redundant.

A hazy orange brew, Sunset Wheat has a very distinctive aroma and flavor profile that rums somewhere between Fruit Loops and key lime with hints of blueberry and coriander.

Not something that most BAs will flock too, but a fun (if novelty) beer.

Not great but I like this for it uniqueness alone. Worth trying.

07-25-2011 15:34:03 | More by ForWhatAlesYou
Hopperbolic

Wisconsin

2.35/5  rDev -30.1%

A: Looks decent, Nice Cloudy Orange/amber. A little lacing

S: Its nothing crazy and one dimensional. Little Wheat on the Nose and IMO fake blueberry sent,as well as some Anise.

T: Fake Blueberry taste, little anise ( i hate anise ) sweet wheat. Im bored with this Brew,its not entertaining my palate at all.

M: Dry on the finish but again boring.

O: IMO this is a very Disjointed brew. i dont know what else to say other than I wont be drinking this again. IMO very major pass on this brew.

07-18-2011 16:21:38 | More by Hopperbolic
RoamingGnome

Wisconsin

3.18/5  rDev -5.4%

Recently picked up a Leinenkugel's summer sampler 12 pack for a day of golf. Well, the golf didn't pan out, so I figure I may as well review a few of these.

Poured out of a 12oz can into my Lost Coast pint glass.

A) A nice looking inch of white head, perfectly topping off this hazy orange brew. The head was gone quickly. No lacing noted.

S) Really fruity, mostly oranges and blueberry. I actually find the smell very pleasing.

T) Smells better than it tastes. It's wheaty, and fruity, maybe some very, very light hops. Not a fan of the finish.

M) Light to medium body, seems lighter than other wheat beers I've had the pleasure of drinking recently. The carbonation is slightly off for my palate. It just seems a bit fizzy.

O) I don't mind drinking this on occasion, usually with an orange slice. This beer is okay. I would have rather had it golfing, which would have saved me from thinking about what I'd rather be drinking. Oh well, could be worse.

06-09-2011 23:04:34 | More by RoamingGnome
ONUMello

3.1/5  rDev -7.7%

12oz can poured into a pint glass
A: Hazy amber color with a one finger head
S: Smells like a dry sugar-free lemonade mix, with hints of coriander and a slight bubblegum/spearmint gum mix.
T: I agree with those below who mention the fruit loops/fruity pebbles. Primarily what influenced, with just a bit of hops bitterness.
M: Average. Nothing stands out good or bad.
O: An okay beer, but one better suited for drinking cold out of the can after mowing the lawn on a hot day rather than sitting and contemplating.

It should also be noted I get none of the blueberries mentioned in the 'notes' section above, nor does the brewer's info on the box (which does mention the beer being brewed with coriander).

06-07-2011 22:12:03 | More by ONUMello
Stunner97

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

appearance- slight yellow to orange coloration with white head that quickly faded away to lacing, murky and cloudy

Smell- alot of fruit and citrus on the nose with touch wheat, overall i pull mostly orange

Taste- the flavor profile of this beer has always reminded me of one thing most clearly above all other fruit loops, it really reminds me of that lol, its mostly mix of citrus /orange notes that linger with moderate level sweetness and end out with with wheat and faint bitterness, the flavor is all right nothing incredible but decent

Mouthfeel- light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability/overall- this beer is all right its nothing i could really session that much cuz to me its just to sweet to really pound away, the flavor is a bit over the top to me in terms of citrus and fruit notes, its just a bit to much for my liking but dont get me wrong this is not a bad beer but just not one i could usually see my self sitting around drinking often

06-03-2011 23:23:00 | More by Stunner97
woodychandler

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

No CANQuest (TM) reviews for almost a week and THIS close to # 500?!? My allergies had really been acting up and I mistook them for the onset of a cold that hit me harder than it should have and put me OOC during that time. I'm back on the bus, though, Gramma, and I'm ready to roll!

Big ups to BeerWolf77 for being a man of his word and hunting down some Wisco beers in a CAN that I had had on my Wants for a while. CAN the man get some love from a brother? I CAN always use some more CANs for this nonsense. CAN you dig it?

From the CAN: "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Since 1867."; "Beer with natural flavors"; "Carefully brewed by the Leinenkugel family for five generations"; "Belgian-style Witbier with malted wheat and Cluster hops".

Direct from the Leinie Lodge to my glass, the Crack & Glug produced two fingers' worth of thick, burbling, bone-white head with limited retention. Color was a very cloudy orangish-yellow, like fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. Nose was very fruity and cereal-like and previous reviewers' mentions of Froot Loops and Fruity Pebbles were spot on. I have not had that type of cereal in years, but the nose definitely conjured up memories. I even got hints of anise underlying all of the fruitiness. Mouthfeel was medium with a riot of fruit flavors on the tongue, a citrusy-lime being the one that stood out. Finish really had a cereal taste to it and for a second I really thought that I was in-taking children's breakfast cereal. I have had better examples of the style, but it was not bad, just kind of odd and sometimes that CAN be good. I would put some in the cooler as a lower ABV alternative and as a refreshing alternative to the many IPAs that I would want for myself.

05-21-2011 13:07:26 | More by woodychandler
weizenbob

1.88/5  rDev -44%

This 12 ounce can of Sunset Wheat came from a Summer Sampler 12-Pack. What a novel idea. "Best" by June 27, 2011. From the label: "Beer with natural flavors." That natural flavors part always worries me. Regardless, I cracked the can open and poured into a weizen glass. A careful pour produced three fingers of foamy white head. Retention is not impressive; however, a lot of lacing is sticking to the glass. The brew is hazy golden with little translucence. Active carbonation can be seen through the glass.

The aroma worries me a bit. The can describes this as a Belgian-style witbier so I was expecting some yeasty orange and coriander. What I'm getting is mostly blueberry with hints of blackberry and a lingering aroma of Froot Loops. It smells sweet although a touch of alcohol can also be noticed on the tail end. I'm not having a good feeling about this.

This is a really weird tasting brew. Have you ever drunk the milk that was left over in your dish after eating a hearty bowl of Froot Loops? This isn't far off from that. If the can was branded "Froot Loops Wheat" then I would say that they nailed it. However, as a Belgian-style wheat they've really missed the mark. The artificial tasting "natural flavors" are pierced by a sharp stinging carbonation that aims to strip away any remnant of beer by liquefying your taste buds. If you can look past all of that, there is somewhat of a wheaty beer underneath it all. Everything within me wants to say that it is terrible; but out of sheer disbelief I cannot stop drinking. Its tastes like fricking Froot Loops!

In the mouth Sunset Wheat is light and lively. It is highly carbonated and surprisingly flavorful (for better or worse). 4.9% ABV is well hidden and not likely to knock you over. Make no mistakes; this is not good beer. I didn't think Leinenkugel could top Summer Shandy in terms of head-scratching awfulness, but this Sunset Wheat is head and shoulders below that mark. Yet somehow I am compelled to crack open another can, if only to reassure myself that I am indeed drinking what I think I'm drinking. Leinenkugel has become the Edward D Wood Jr of brewing.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
I do not give a Schlitz for Sunset Wheat. However, I will be giving out six packs as gag gifts in the foreseeable future. Did I mention that it tastes like Froot Loops?!

04-29-2011 18:13:23 | More by weizenbob
Arbitrator

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

Chilled can into a plastic glass. Served on the plane from Dublin to Atlanta.

A: Pours a cloudy straw color with a billowy off-white head that leaves sticky lacing down the sides of the (sigh) plastic cup.

S: Orange peel, lemon rind, and apricot. The reviewer below me claims Fruity Pebbles -- ok, I could concede that, too. I didn't get coriander in the smell.

T: Dominated by the citrus flavors picked up in the nose. The mid-taste showed a rough grain component, and the finish contained a hint of coriander. And -- well, ok, it was kind of Fruity Pebbles-like.

M: Light-bodied, high carbonation, and a relatively crisp and clean finish.

D: Granted, the cost (free) couldn't be beaten, but I wound up having 4 of these over the 10-hour flight. Surprisingly enjoyable. It's not the best wit I've ever had, but it filled a niche.

10-17-2009 03:29:48 | More by Arbitrator
Schwab

3.05/5  rDev -9.2%

I got this beer on an international Delta flight with my dinner and was pleasantly surprised, especially since I had it twice before on tap at a local bar and did not like it at all. As a matter of fact, I thought it was outright disgusting when I had it on tap locally. Not so this can.

A - I poured it in my small plastic cup and you could immediately see the nice sight of a wit beer. Left a nice head on both pours.

S - A somewhat typical wit beer, the hint of fruit (blueberry) cannot be missed. Some other notes were there, too, but I was unable to identify something specific.

T - Smooth wit beer, not spicy, hint of berries. Balanced for sure!

M - Somewhat refreshing, definitely no hint of anything but wit beer style characteristics. No dry finish or other unbalanced or bitter notes.

D - I can see this a beer for warm days and even more for people who are not too much into hoppy beers, stouts, etc.

Overall I was quite surprised by this experience, especially since I really hated it the first two times I tried it. Not that I would run to a store and buy it, but when I have the next time the choice between Heineken, BMC and this one - I will certainly take the Sunset Wheat again.

08-22-2009 13:49:18 | More by Schwab
smibroncos

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%

I poured the beer into a glass issued by the airlines the head was white with little lacing on the glass. It poured a yellow orange color with a decent head.

The smell to me was fresh cut hay with notes of bannana, honey and corriander.

The taste was a little on the citrus side orange peel.Slightly fruity.

The mouthfeel was light and the carbonation was small bubbles.

The overall drinkabily was good I could drink a few of these while mowing the grass. Definately a summer beer, refreshing.

03-19-2009 14:42:46 | More by smibroncos
JanM

Sweden

1.48/5  rDev -56%

Poured hazy in a pale yellow color with quickly disappearing, soapy foam. The smell was sweet and fruity, like artificial orange and bubble gum, maybe apples and pears too. Quite distinct and different actually. Unfortunately it tasted like lemonade made from "natural falvors" and dishwater. In fact, it started to look like it too. I'm sorry to say that it was a disappointment.

12-07-2008 17:33:36 | More by JanM
superdedooperboy

4.1/5  rDev +22%

Delta recently started serving this beer on its flights, and I had the chance to sample it both to and from Germany. (Perhaps serving well as a "Goodbye" and "Welcome back" to my home country.)

As I had this on a flight in second-class, I poured from the can into a plastic cup. The head was a white, bubbly mass that remained through the life of the beer. Color was bright yellow.

Aroma was citrussy-sweet. Taste was similar, with a strong hint of berry. Mouthfeel was somewhat thin, with a nice amount of carbonation. Aftertaste was virtually nil. I could easily down a few of these, as they're quite refreshing. And being that the beer was free with the in-flight meal (all alcohol is free on Lufthansa-- fly German!), I was quite pleased with it, regardless.

08-15-2008 04:41:20 | More by superdedooperboy
jdubjacket

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

Had on a Delta airplane recently. Pours a pale murky yellow with minimal head, as typical for wheat beers. Smell is relatively earthy with a good amount of spice in the nose. Taste is overly fruity. This beer actually tastes like froot loops, and not a whole lot else unfortunately. The fruit taste is overpowering. The moderate carbonation makes this beer relatively drinkable but I wouldn't seek this one out.

07-21-2008 02:07:18 | More by jdubjacket
Cyberkedi

4.3/5  rDev +28%

Aroma is malty with a wheaty undertone, and hints of orange. Color is warmly golden and somewhat cloudy. Flavor is rich, rather malty with strong orange tone, rather sweet but not cloying, just a whisper of smokiness. It has a nice thick feel that I do not often find in wheat beers, and leaves a pleasant and satisfying aftertaste. Better than what I expected!

07-14-2007 23:34:23 | More by Cyberkedi
Treyliff

West Virginia

3.21/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a murky brownish yellow color, smells of wheat citric coriander and blueberry. It really does taste like fruity pebbles, with a wheat kick at the end.

This is one of those beers that serves a purpose, it's a great fruity beer for summer time. I would never drink it otherwise, but it makes a perfect campfire beer.

04-08-2014 21:19:34 | More by Treyliff
teddybear60

Love this beer. I'm a big fan of all of Leinenkugel's seasonals though. When smelling and tasting the sunset wheat, it resembles fruit loops in my opinion. I could easily drink a six pack of this in a short period of time, and I have. Definitely give this a try if you like fruity tasting beers.

03-21-2014 02:43:09 | More by teddybear60
lochef81

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up on a whim. Pours a cloudy pale straw color with little head or lacing. The nose is artificial blueberry and belgian yeast. Think a blueberry eggo with some yeasty bread dough on top. The flavor is bready with lots of bitter not fresh blueberries. Not what I expected when I grabbed thus and not something I'd come back to.

03-04-2014 03:38:10 | More by lochef81
ccoyle

3.73/5  rDev +11%

I do not like hoppy beers, and since wheat beers are supposedly one of the least hoppy styles, I decided to try a six pack of this brew. I am not disappointed. Sunset Wheat pours a cloudy orange color. Mine had about a half-finger of head that faded quickly leaving some nice lacing. The smell is only so-so, but the taste is fine, with citrus notes right up front and a kind of 'sharp' quality to it. The mouth feel is lightly carbonated. True to the style, there is only a slight bitterness to the finish. Overall, I find it to be a refreshing brew, and probably a good session beer, though for me a 'session' is usually one. IPA lovers will probably hate it, but for those of us who are not fans of high IBU's, this one will do the job.

02-02-2014 02:15:25 | More by ccoyle
RVigz

2.6/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smell: The smell of this beer is pretty promising as it smalls like a sour/sweet fruity grain smell.

Taste:This beer i can honestly say tastes almost exactly like fruity pebbles the cereal. It has a sort of synthetic fruit taste that isnt very fresh. Finish is a bit sour and leaves a weird taste on the tongue. Overall it tastes like cereal mixed with grain. Pretty different.

01-22-2014 15:30:48 | More by RVigz
Ozzylizard

3.1/5  rDev -7.7%

Bottle marked Feb1014, rest illegible, 40 degrees, into 12 oz glass
Aroma slightly lemony
Head average (3 cm), white, creamy, rapidly diminishing
No lacing
Body light yellow, hazy
Flavor begins very sweet, mixed berry flavor
Flavor ends abruptly, leaving only a vague sweetness
No hops evident, no alcohol tasted, no diacetyl
Light watery body with soft carbonation

This was left with me after a party two days ago. It is very much a perfumey, girlie beer.

01-13-2014 13:17:04 | More by Ozzylizard
Jadjunk

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is brewed in the style of a Witbier with blueberry extract added. Most interesting is the use of a lager yeast strain in place of an ale strain. This has always been a year-round release, arguably the flagship beer of Leinenkugel's brewery since their shift to focusing on traditional German and Belgian craft styles. Available in bottles and on draft.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to my Leinenkugel's pint glass. Served above 50º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours an eggshell-white head of a crisp foamy consistency over a pale golden amber body with a moderate haze. Carbonation is light and relaxed. Head retention is average at best, lacing is very light and does not stick. 3.5

(Smell) Blueberry is an immediately evident aroma from the moment you open the bottle, dry, potent blueberry extract and artificial blueberry syrup. Following the blueberry is a light wheat malt, some cereal grain, a dash of orange peel and some light coriander. While not quite as profound in berry potency as Berry Weiss, the main focus on this beer is in the blueberry impact. It does manage to come off as moderately enjoyable, although some may find the strength of the blueberry a nauseating profile. 3.25

(Taste) A mild wheat profile with an equally mellow sweetness, mildly bitter orange peel and a dash of spice. Blueberry is a definite accent in the finish although it doesn't come off nearly as strong as it does in the aroma. No hop presence nor bitterness to speak of. Overall I found the blueberry an assertive compliment to an otherwise pedestrian witbier. I couldn't see it being memorable without the blueberry, as the remaining flavor would otherwise be remarkably light and potentially bland. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick, mildly chalky and zesty dry. Carbonation adds some crispness to the tongue. Body is medium for the style, light/medium overall. Alcohol presence is low. The balance is sweet over bitter, although it's still a bit arid, thin and dry, not all are unexpected for the style but collectively it's jarring for drinkability somewhat. Perhaps the lager yeast had a profound impact on how the texture and body of this beer is perceived, as it's unique, but not wholly enjoyable. 3.5

(Overall) While my impressions about this beer have changed, they have changed for the better. Sunset Wheat is a very light beer in malt profile as well as in other style-defining guidelines. What makes this beer different is the use of a lager strain for a cleaner, crisper and lighter malt profile as well as the inclusion of blueberries, which do a decent job of complimenting the flavors of this witbier, but may easily be seen as a flavor burden for some who are going for something more simple or traditional. If you choose any light beer out of Leinenkugel's lineup, this is the one I'd most likely recommend, but try it on draft to see if you find it enjoyable enough to get more of. 3.5

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company's
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat
3.45/5.00

11-23-2013 04:36:48 | More by Jadjunk
LXIXME

New Mexico

3.18/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Very small white head dies quickly to barely a lacing at all above a cloudy washed out pale straw golden colored beer.

Blueberry fruity aroma.

Light blueberries on a wheat grain taste.

Light dry aftertaste without much taste sticking around with this light bodied beer.

Light tasting wheat beer, not really sold on this beer being worth recommending.

11-10-2013 22:03:04 | More by LXIXME
Keystone_Beer_Wench

4.43/5  rDev +31.8%

I have drank this beer, A LOT. It is archived as one of my all time favorites! My reference is to "fruity pebbles" When you drink this beer, it's like dessert yet not too sweet. Surprisingly light and fruity. You can tell it's a wheat beer just by the appearance and taste. This beer pairs well with just about everything, even chocolate. It's too bad they don't make scratch and sniff stickers for this beer, because I would buy them! This is the kind of beer, if you like wheat beer, to buy and drink a six pack in one sitting. Not a disappointment.

11-03-2013 13:23:26 | More by Keystone_Beer_Wench