Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Golden and a little cloudy when held up to the light. Decent amount of white head.

S: Probably the fruitiest beer I've smelt to date. Many fruits are present here: orange, peach, and maybe pear.

T: This brew tastes like Fruity Pebbles. Distinct taste, quite fruity, but nothing too special.

M: Light-bodied and weak.

D: This is easy to drink for the most part, but it does get sweet after awhile. A session beer, but you can find better.

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

A-darker than other witbiers but not as cloudy

S-Nice citrus aroma (dominated by orange) plenty of coriander spice

T-Too much orange creates an imbalanced flavor

M-thinner than others of this style

D-Okay for a few but astringency and fruitiness overwhelms if looking to knock down a pile of these.

4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

Had a six pack of this left over from my wife so it's time to finally review this one.

A: Wow - cloudy orange, nice head that lingers and lace left behind.

S: Smell is fantastic - smell is of orange, blueberry, malt, citrus, and really just summer in a bottle!

T: Blueberry tart comes through with some citrus and a bit of zest. Really tasty and just easy to drink

M: Goes down smooth - medium carbonation

D: All day

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a golden color. One and a half finger white head that shows good retention. Sticky sheety lacing on the sides of the glass as I drink it down.

S- To be honest this has a light grainy hint to it along with Fruity Pebbles. I know others have said that but it does plain and simple.
This is overall a light aroma which is my only real complaint because it doesn't smell bad at all.

T- Pretty much tastes like Fruity Pebbles as well with a hint of wheat in the background. Interesting how they get this flavor.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is fizzy for this beer but I expect it. Fruity Pebbles taste left on the palate and into the aftertaste...long into the aftertaste. Flavors were one sided at best. Light alcohol drying of the palate.

D- It is easy to drink a ton of this no problem. Kind of might get sick though from the sweetness. Overall though a easy drinking summertime beer. This is what is was suppose to be....mission accomplished.

4.13/5  rDev +22.9%

A:
Pours slightly cloudy and light gold. A two-finger head appeared, but quickly dissipated leaving a sparse but delicate network of lacing.

S:
What smell? I smelled nothing from the four of these I had, so I'm confused by the rating system: there weren't any "bad" smells, but there weren't any "good" smells either. So, I guess that qualifies it as unimpressive. Drinking this beer is really the only way to unlock any scents, after they work their way into your nose after you swallow. I'm left with the impression of the scent of sunscreen after a hot day-- but I should stress it doesn't smell unpleasant like sweat or body odor. It's hard to describe, but the scent I'd put it close to would be coconut.

T:
if summer had a taste-- if you could take a sunset over a muggy shoreline, with cicadas, frogs and crickets all chorusing in one glorious din and lick it, this would be that taste. Very light carbonation, it only dances on your tongue for an instant before disappearing and leaving you with a smooth, mildly tart taste of wheat, with subtle citrus notes underneath. This is a good thing since it's a wheat beer, but the overall taste is very breezy, very summery.. Even when consumed warm, this beer has a very "cooling" feel to it.

M: Clean, refreshing and mildly astringent.

D: Exceptional. This is perfect on a hot summer day to cool off, or in the middle of the winter to remind you of summer.

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a 12 fl. oz. bottle marked Sep 13 2010. It pours a somewhat hazy, golden yellow with a decent enough white head. The aroma is full of red or black raspberry along with the wheat. The taste also has a nice wild berry type flavor with a nice wheat quality and thin hops. A refreshing beer.

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Nice hazy appearance, good carbonation and looks like some particles that hang.

Not really impressed with aroma, hard to discern much.

Taste is very fruity, hint of clove, other fruits maybe, hard to place. It does have a sweeter taste, which overshadows the typical yeasty taste that a lot of wheat beers have. Probably a bit too sweet for me.

Thin feeling in the mouth.

Easy and quick to drink, taste does seem to get a little bitter towards the end.

Probably would choose another wheat beer like a Bell's Oberon over this one.

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

"Pull date" stamped on bottle neck. In this case, 10110 = 10-11-2010.

Pours completely hazed dark straw, with a nice, creamy white head. Smell is grainy fresh and fruity as all get out - Fruit Loops and Fruity Pebbles come to mind. Taste is a little more mellowed out than the smell, but seriously, this tastes like beer cereal. I suppose it's carbonated ok.. but the finish is a little thin, quick, and sour for my taste. A novelty, but interesting, also for the fact that this beer seems to be pretty popular. Enough for it to replace Leinies I liked, such as Big Butt and Northwoods.

4.38/5  rDev +30.4%

One of my favorites, and I am picky. Nice, creamy thick head that hangs out for a few minutes. The smell makes me want to swallow more. Slighly cloudy, good color. My first drink of this beer surprised me, the mouthfeel is surprisingly thick. I like my porters and stouts but this is always in the fridge.

4.2/5  rDev +25%

Poured into Weihenstephaner glass...

A: Pours a buttery, hazy old gold with a big, fluffy head. leaves big sticky arches of lacing on the way down.

S: smells like fruity pebbles, peaches, oranges, pineapples, and banana. Smells like a tropical sunset. I love the nose on this one.

T: orange muffins immediately leads into a pallate of the aforementioned fruits. finishes with banana, peach skins, and lemony hop bitterness

M: velvety, light-medium body with low carbonation, finishes off-dry

Overall, Sunset Wheat is one of my favorite domestic wheat beers. It's always a great beer to recommend to someone just getting into the craft brew scene, if they like fruity pebbles that is, but who doesn't. Glad they keep this in stock at the local gas station.

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Being a fan of Witbier, I thought that this rumored to be "overly fruity" beer would leave me disappointed. Instead I was only moderately satisfied. Overall I had a good time drinking this beer. Its taste and appearance were nothing too special. In fact I did not taste as much of the fruit flavors as others did who tried this before me. This might because I was expecting a lot more fruitiness and was pleasantly surprised when it was not as strong as I had been told it was. After finishing the bottle, I realized that this beer was texturally smooth and drinkable beyond my expectations. If I had tasted it in proper glassware I might have been even more pleased. All in all, an okay choice for a summer afternoon.

4.63/5  rDev +37.8%

Poured a 12 oz bottle on a 16 oz pint and it created a nice 3 inch head. The head slowly faded away and left behind a nice lace on my glass. The aroma is very appealing and the taste is very satisfying. Mild citrus flavors bounced around in my mouth as I savored this beer. There was very little to no aftertaste in every sip and that makes you want to take the next sip.

4.9/5  rDev +45.8%

The leinenkugels sunset wheat is dark in color but does taste like most dark beers it has a great blueberry or mixed berry flavor to it that makes it my favorite of all of the leinenkugel family of beer it has a great mouthfeel and smell I would say anyone if they like beer or not would most likely enjoy one of these

Yes it smells and tastes like Fruity Pebbles as others have mentioned, but it's not a bad summer beer. The taste is light and refreshing and I'd try a few before buying a twelve pack first.

Not sure it qualifies as a Witbier, but an interesting taste makes this one I would try seasonally.

4.58/5  rDev +36.3%

Excellent fruity wheat beer. One of my favorites on the commercial market.

Great fruity aroma, Great hop aroma, but low bitterness (how I like it), on the sweet side but I would still say it's balanced. Pours a great head, but doesn't keep it long (normal with the style)

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

Hmm. This beer does taste like Fruity Pebbles like the cereal. I'm sure that wasn't there intention but that how it ended up. It not to bad but it's a Miller Product which sux. If they were by themselves I would give them cuddos on this beer.It does have a good taste it went well with my Chinese food. But it's a summer beer kill the time beer.

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a frosted mug.

The color is a hazy gold, with a finger of foamy white head that stays for a short time.

The smell is a little fruity with a berry and lemon flavor mixed with a slight wheat flavor.

The taste was again fruity with some lemon, and a hint of pear. There is a wheat flavor that seems to be the main flavor through out till the end.

This beer was pretty drinkable and went down quite easy. It was a bit refreshing but lacked a bit in overall taste. It had a nice crisp feel and was a good summer beer to have at a cookout or at the beach.

1.4/5  rDev -58.3%

This beer disappointed me enough to write my first review.

Aside from perhaps the color, there was nothing about this beer that reminded me of a traditional wheat beer. In fact, I could taste no wheat in it.

The aroma was very strong and sweet - a very good indicator of what the beer tastes like. Very fragrant, very berry-like.

The beer itself tastes more like a type of Smirnoff Ice beverage. It is VERY sweet and has an extremely strong blueberry taste.

I want to say the carbonation was nicely balanced - but it's hard to say when each sugary mouthful was causing me to wince.

My wife and I managed to finish off a bottle each but it was painful.

The packaging on the bottle does not hint of its "non-traditional" approach to a wheat beer. No mention of its sweetness or blueberry flavor.

Perhaps if this beer was categorized as a fruit beer then I would not be so harsh in my review. But then again, it's the sweetest and least beer-like fruit beer I've ever tasted.

4.93/5  rDev +46.7%

Very blueberry taste, reminds me of fruity pebbles. good head that goes down but doesnt dissapear, very cloudy. One of my absolute favorites in the Leinenkugel family, great summer beer when sitting at an outdoor bar or by the pool. It is a must have beer and great blueberry/ fruity taste

4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

My first impression of this beer was "wow." Now, I agree with some other reviewers, in the sense that it did have a lot of fruit flavor, but I thought it definitely worked with the beer. The predominant flavor was blueberries with wheat, which is a fantastic - if unexpected - combination. Maybe it's not the same as every other witbier, but maybe that's what makes it a good beer.

2.3/5  rDev -31.5%

I picked this beer up for vacation expecting a decent witbier, but was disappointed. The fruity flavors were fine for one 12oz bottle, but I couldn't handle more than 1 bottle.
I like most of the beers Leinenkugel puts out, so I will give this beer another try by the end of summer.

1.78/5  rDev -47%

What do you get when someone brews a witbier and mixes it with a bowl of Fruity Pebbles? Sunset Wheat.

Look: Well, it actually looks pretty decent. Looks enough like a wit.

Smell: Sugary sweet, like kids cereal...

Taste: Total trainwreck. The only reason I didn't pour it out or give it a 1.0 is because it kept me coming back just to see if I was only imagining the taste of Fruity Pebbles. I wasn't, it's there, and it scares me.

Feel: If you can force yourself to look past the smell and taste, it really does have a pretty decent mouthfeel.

Drink: I wouldn't take another one of these for free.

2.7/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Hazy yellow. Shocking. Aroma was of corn syrup and fruit.

Taste was more sweetness, more than necessary or desireable. Like a liquid pixie stick. Definitely has a lot of "taste" just it isn't the kind I want in my beer, maybe my mixed drink, maybe a fruit salad, but not a wheat beer. This is a wheat beer? Where's the wheat aspect of it, outside of the lemony feel?

And since when did Leinie's become an $8 a 6 pack beer? Rip-off.

2.98/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: A hazy golden color with a singe finger white head. Minimal lacing.

S: Heavy fruit smells with pronounced berry and sweetness. Some slight yeasty smell but the berry really stands out.

T: Tons of berry fruit with blueberry, raspberry and other berry flavors. Sugar sweetness comes in with a slight yeasty wheat flavor that is squashed by the sweet fruit. Not much finish nor any hops to pick out.

M: Light, not lasting and not full with no alcohol traces.

D: Medium but the sweetness will get in the way of having a few of these.

Overall a decent at best summer wheat beer. It needs more hops and less sweetness.

2.35/5  rDev -30.1%

Bought a sixer at a gas station on the way to band practice. This was as craftiest beer the store had to offer. I didn't see anything on the bottle suggesting this had fruit theme, so I was surprised at the berry smell, which seemed more like artificial flavoring than real berries.
The taste is consistent with the smell. I really thought something had happened at the brewery and they had inadvertently mixed one of their berry beers with this. I could only finish about half of one of these. The berry flavor tastes to me like it doesn't belong in there.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company