Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
4.49/5  rDev +33.6%

A- has a nice golden wheat color with a cloudiness to it. poured to a 1 finger head that dissipated quickly. Lacing is thin and streaks down the glass quickly.

S- WOW, what a great smell. Very fruity smell. Another post I read mentioned Fruity Pebbles. I agree completely. Actually overpowers the wheat and just hits you with rich fruit.

T- The wheat flavor comes through more in the taste. Still a fruity flavor dominated by sweet citrus notes. Fruit flavor lingers on the tough for quite a bit.

M- This is the disappointment of the beer is the thinness. Has a watered down feel to it.

D- This is a great beer. Tried it in a restaurant and liked it enough to pick up a six pack. A great beer to have on a hot summer day

3.54/5  rDev +5.4%

The Sunset Wheat is a great summer beer. The smell of Fruity Pebbles hits your nose immediately. I explain to people that it smells like one of my favorite cereals. They stick their noses to the glass and a look of surprise shows on their face and stays there after the taste! I prefer no fruit in my beer. The taste should say enough.

3.71/5  rDev +10.4%

Great appearance. Poured into a snifter, this one had a great head that lasted a long time and slowly turned into a very good sheen, leaving plenty of sheets of lacing on the glass. Yellow in color and hazy in appearance.

Wheaty and lemony aromas, with sweetness. Interesting.

Tasty, although quite lemony. Good wheaty backbone tho, smooth malts and plenty of sweetness.

Quite rich and smooth mouthfeel. Low bitterness with a sweet aftertaste.

Drinks well. Easy to down and goes with food too. One of my favs from Leine.

4.3/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

if you are not a fan of fruity wheat beer this one's not for you. i however, love 'em. sunset wheat is a great beer. the taste is somewhere between blueberries and fruity pebbles. its a glass full of coudy golden heaven. the only complaint i have (and i am going out on a limb here) is that its so easy to drink i find myself downing it a little on the fast side. this beer is a perfect hot weather, summery drink.

3.31/5  rDev -1.5%

Pour: Hazy orange-golden color with the large, fluffy head that is synonymous with wheat beers. Decent head retention and a small amount of lacing.

Smell: Light with a primarily acidic citrus scent (lemon and orange primarily). A touch of wheat and an ever so slight hint of blueberry.

Taste: Super sweet front end (almost sugary), again with a hint of blueberry. Not much wheat taste, and the back end finishes up with a really sour lemon juice punch.

Mouthfeel: Light, crisp, and effervescent. Typical wheat beer feel.

Drinkability: Refreshing and easy drinking. I could have a few of these no problem.

Final Notes: A decent wheat beer. Not anything really special, but then again I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers anyway. Definitely a beach-side or yard work thirst quencher.

4.29/5  rDev +27.7%

12 once bottle poured in pint.

2 1/2 fingers of head sat on top of a hazy almost light orange beer that reminded me of unfiltered apple juice in color. the head receded quickly to thin layer with very little lacing. Not bad over all.

Smelled of citrus and coriander with a hint of biscuit dough. Light and crisp couldn't wait to drink.

Tasted much the same as it smelled though a bit more subdued. Orange rind with a hint of lemon, coriander and a bite of spice that I can't quite identify. the hops are mild, very.

This beer finishes crisp and clean and is very easy to drink. would be great on a hot day.

3.07/5  rDev -8.6%

Twisted off the cap and poured into a pilsner glass.

A- Pale straw color that poured a 1.5 finger head that quickly turned into a ring around my glass. Little lacing.

S- Blueberries, mild citrus, and coriander. It really smells like the cereal Fruity Pebbles

T- Well thankfully it doesn't taste like Fruity Pebbles. Hints of orange, blueberry, and coriander.

M- Average carbonation but nothing really special.

D- Finishes good with really no aftertaste. A hot summer day beer.

3.59/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance- Cloudy, straw pour with minimal head and a thin lace. The color is the only redemptive aspect of this brew's appearance.

Smell- A powerful scent of citrus followed by milder scents of honey and alcohol.

Taste- Citrus with subtler tones of apricots and wheat. Has a sour taste at the end, suggesting a higher alcohol content than actually exists.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with a smooth, sweet finish towards the back of the palate.

Drinkability- This is a great beer. It has a pleasant, medium body with medium carbonation. Sadly, the fruit overpowers the wheat and really defeats a lot of the purpose that the subtler wheat tastes could give this beer. It is deceptively sweet.

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Thin but lasting head, leaves a white coating of lace. The broth is a cloudy Orange-light amber.

Raisin and raspberry aroma. People around me smelled blueberries. Generally sweet nose.

There's a citrusy flavor initially. decent body with a lower level of carbonation. The finish is mildly sour. light stone fruit finish of alto of and cherry.

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter.

Pours with two fingers of white head that diminishes down to a thin white layer which lasts and lasts. Body is slightly cloudy light orange with small bubbles rising.

Smells primarily of blueberries, which smell fresh and not from extract. Underneath those are some lager-type malts and slight noble type hops. A bit of what may be attributable to lager yeast is present.

Blueberries dominate this flavor from front to back, but as in the nose they seem authentic and not just a flavoring. Pale malts a ever-so-slight hop bitterness form the backbone of the flavors. Sweet and nice. Low bitterness.

Mouthfeel is creamy and on the light side. Not much to say here, but I like the lower carbonation. Drinkability is quite good.

Conclusion: A very enjoyable blueberry flavored wheat. I would categorize it as a fruit beer because the blueberry is so strong, but because I love blueberries that doesn't hurt the score.

4.58/5  rDev +36.3%

Pours a cloudy orangeish gold color. The smell is that of fruity pebbles oddly enough but you do smell the beer alcohol afterwards. First taste is that of fruity pebbles and then fades off into a medium beer taste and is followed by the after taste of fruity pebbles. Feels zesty in the mouth almost like the feeling, without the taste, of lemonade. Easy to drink in moderation to sweet to get carried away.

2.67/5  rDev -20.5%

Reviewed from notes

A-Pours tangerine and gold with an ultra white head made of foamy bubbles. Not lace on the glass and quite a few carbonation bubbles inflating the head a bit.

S-citrus fruity sweetness dominates the nose with some other interesting spice. But not really all that much here. Banana and wheat are there in short supply.

T-Only real flavor her is an overpowering sweetness and nothing to back it up. Not enough malt at all and the flavor seems added.Where the hell is the wheat?

M-Overcarbonated and thin but not to the point of me not being bale to finish it.

D-Better than some other sad options and I would for sure drink it over any macro. It kind of has its place in the world for a cheap summer beach beer I guess. Sure beats Corona.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

A~Dark orange/ tanish color. Full 1 finger head, doesnt seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Can see the carbonation coming from the bottom of the beer.

S~Smells like fruity pebbles, as soon as I poured the beer into my glass the smell was very strong.

T~ Tastes similar to fruity pebbles, definitely some lemon in there. I personally like the taste a lot, but can see how it would be far too sweet for many people.

M~ Moderately carbonated, a pretty light feeling beer.

D~ Can definitely drink a 6 pack of these without any problems, doesnt fill me up too fast.

3.05/5  rDev -9.2%

12oz bottle, BBD Jan 14 2011.

Pours a cloudy, darker orange; nice color and a small amount of soapy head & lacing.
Wheat and lemon with juice of blueberry to the nose.
Breaded, fruity flavor. Unfiltered wheat meets blueberry and orange with a hint of the coriander spiciness which is associated with a witbier. A bit thin overall, and too heavy on the fruit.
Initial crispness in body thins out as it goes down, leaving one desiring a snappier finish.
Drinkability suffers from over-pronounced fruit flavors, particularly the blueberry. May be satisfying on a warmer day, if nothing better is available.

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%

I just finished off a 6 pack of this beer, I'd absolutely buy it again.

A: Poured into a pint glass it has a nice cloudy golden color, with a small head that dissipates quickly.

S: There is a lovely aroma about this beer. mostly I noted wheat and a faintly citrus aroma that isnt overpowering, but definitely there.

T: Some faintly lemonade like flavor, with a hint of orange, and some well hidden alcohol in there.

M: I found it pretty smooth with a hint of citrus aftertaste.

D: very enjoyable as a session beer, for me, its a nice brew that I fully intend to purchase more of.

I forget what I paid for a 6 pack, but I honestly enjoyed every bottle of it.

3.77/5  rDev +12.2%

A - pours into a murky, dark golden yellow with a small head

S - a previous post noted that it smells like Fruity Pebbles...and thats EXACTLY what it smells like....this is because of the wheat and blueberry

T - It kind of tastes like Fruity Pebbles too...as weird as that sounds it has a fruity, hoppy taste that creates an interesting taste

M - hoppy mouthfeel, creates a bitter carbonation

D - pretty drinkable, the taste drive you for more but not overwhelming...

Despite the Fruity Pebble esque taste...I like this, they could have ruined this beer by adding just a little bit more of the blue berries or hops and it would have probably be horrendous but this is perfectly balanced: not too bitter, not too fruity....i would buy this again

3.27/5  rDev -2.7%

First impression, yup that smells like blueberries. Traditional cloudy wheat beer look. White foamy head that doesn't last long. Taste is definitely of some blueberries, even though the "fruity pebbles" comments may be overstated some. Light and fizzy in your mouth, and easy to drink. I would recommend this for a nice summer beer, but I wouldn't seek it out regularly. For my first Leinie's tasting, not bad and I'll keep an open mind about their other brews.

3.57/5  rDev +6.3%

appearance: pours a cloudy brownish gold color with heavy carbonation, bubbly foam leaving moderate bubbly lacing.

smell: forward notes of blueberry complemented with a bold wheat smell.

taste: consistently clean wheat taste throughout the beginning and middle, very light hop bitterness is notable at the finish, which gives a light citrus note with the more predominant blueberry aftertaste.

drinkability: well balance and not overly infused with wheat flavor, pleasant to drink without overdoing on the berry flavor.

3.32/5  rDev -1.2%

Does anyone else taste Fruity Pebbles when drinking this beer? It certainly is a refreshing summer beer, but I can't get over the fact that it tastes like my favorite childhood cereal. I personally wouldn't buy more than a pint or so, but my parents seem to enjoy it.

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

The pour in my pilsner glass resulted in a two finger head of rich white foam which settled down to a light covering of wispy lace on the surface and sides of the glass. Color is a cloudy amber, rating a 8 on the SRM beer color chart. Rich aroma of berries and wheat, with a hint of spices. The taste was not expected from the smell. A rich cascade of rose flavored spices, light orange, mulberry, and rich malt and aged wheat. Full body rush over my tongue and palate, ending with a sort of raspberry finish on the back of my throat. Yes I would like to drink this again. I would like to share this with my drinking buddies, as they would be in for a surprise in wonderful taste.

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

On tap at the Yardhouse in Dedham. Served in a standard pint glass. Cloudy yellow body with a fizzy white head. Smell had a bit of citrus to it. Taste was a bit unusual. I find it odd that there was a hint of blueberry in a witbier. I still cannot figure out why every Leinie beer I try has some weird Fruity Pebbles cereal fake fruit flavor in it. I guess that's their marketing angle. Mouthfeel was decent for the style; fairly smooth. Drinkability was just average in my book. I wanted to have something easy at the end of the night, and I end up with this fruity beer. I should have just ordered a witbier that I knew was good. This just re-enforces my belief that I have not found a Leinie beer that I like yet. Will I keep searching? Not sure.

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a single of this at my local beer store just for the heck of it. Actually got up to around 90 today and is still mid 80's so it seems like a great time to have a Witbier before the temperature really starts to drop in the next hour or two.

Appearance - Pours into my SA Perfect Pint with a hazy golden color. Over two fingers of quickly dissipating head is achieved with a moderate pour, leaving little lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - A rather surprising smell. I immediately get a citrusy, candy like smell. At first I couldn't put my finger on what berry smell I was getting but after reading the info it made perfect sense it was blueberries. Besides that there is little else besides wheat and slight sweet malts.

Taste - Similar to the nose. Very blueberry - it reminds me of blueberry eggo waffles - which is not a good thing seeing as those nasty things are so processed and fake it's no wonder our kids are obese today. Honestly, that is all I get. Tastes like fruit loops or fruity pebbles (as others have noticed) which is not really what I look for in a beer...

Mouthfeel - Light to medium bodied, a bit thin, decent carbonation.

Drinkability - Relatively so, however, I could never drink multiples of this. Too sweet for me. Glad I was able to buy a single instead of a six pack.

4.32/5  rDev +28.6%

Poured into a standard tumbler

A - This beer pours a bright orange color, with a bright white 2 finger soapy head that quickly dies off, but does keep some retention. The complexion of this beer is extremely hazy, and the unfiltered sediment creates a wild lava lamp effect. This beer has a good amount carbonation, but is not one of those beers that makes you want to burp after every sip, which is NOT a downfall at all.

S - The smell of this beer took my by surprise. It is straight up Fruit Loops!! The smell is an amalgamation that comes together as the smell of blueberries and passion fruit. So not what i expected from this beer, but what a treat indeed!!

T - This beer tastes almost exactly like it smells. Like Blueberries/Passion Fruit and Wheat. The taste of this beer is extremely refreshing and is not to mild and not too overpowering.

M - The mouth-feel of this beer is on the thin side, but thats more so what you'd want from a wheat beer like this. The lack of carbonation towards the end is not a detriment to the mouthfeel either. Although this beer is very fruity and juicy, it is not very sticky, so its rather soft and does down smooth.

D - The drinkability of this beer is very high, and would be deemed sessionable. Although, this beer is soo good I don't know why anyone would want to just slug them down and waste them. But even if you drank and entire 6 pack, I dont think it would make you feel all that full. But one or two would be the perfect amount to truly enjoy this beer, especially on a hot summer day.

Final Thoughts: For an impulse 6 pack buy, this beer gets Two Huge Thumbs Up!!! This beer surpassed my expectations and is something that I would certainly by again.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle marked best by October 21st into a pint glass.

Appearance: Looks great directly poured, gets two fingers head and is a hazy orange-straw color. The head goes away very quickly though with only a bit of retention around the edge.

Smell: Smells like Fruit Loops, straight up. Not that it's the most terrible thing in the world, it actually smells pretty decent. Doesn't smell much like a beer though unless I take a really deep sniff, where I can catch some malts.

Taste: It tastes like malted Fruit Loops! There's really not too much to it, go ahead and imagine fruit loops, and there you have it. I love fruit loops though, so it's not really a negative. It just doesn't taste a witbeer, there's just hints of wheat and malts that separate it from the "malt beverages" of the world. Just a hint of hops at the very end cement that you did indeed just drink a beer.

Mouthfeel: Fairly well carbonated and goes down smooth.

Drinkability: This goes down very easy. A great thirst quencher for the summer heat. Almost enough to make me wish I had a lawn to mow.

Again, this is not a beer to pick up if you're looking for a Witbier. It's a fruity beverage that has a lot in common with "malt beverages." I rather like it though.

3.29/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Grabbed this randomly at the market for a party. Was quite popular with the people there, but I found it a little odd.

Poured a cloudy orange/yellow with a decent looking head.

The smell of this guy is straight oranges. It smells artificial to me, although it's probably not. A little disconcerting.

Ok flavor which mutes the oranges and fruit a little bit. Quite sweet and lacking general complexity, but decently flavorful.

Fine enough mouthfeel. Body and carbonation are about right for the style. Probably would get a little cloying after several of these but went down easy.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company