Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
2.7/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Hazy yellow. Shocking. Aroma was of corn syrup and fruit.

Taste was more sweetness, more than necessary or desireable. Like a liquid pixie stick. Definitely has a lot of "taste" just it isn't the kind I want in my beer, maybe my mixed drink, maybe a fruit salad, but not a wheat beer. This is a wheat beer? Where's the wheat aspect of it, outside of the lemony feel?

And since when did Leinie's become an $8 a 6 pack beer? Rip-off.

2.98/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: A hazy golden color with a singe finger white head. Minimal lacing.

S: Heavy fruit smells with pronounced berry and sweetness. Some slight yeasty smell but the berry really stands out.

T: Tons of berry fruit with blueberry, raspberry and other berry flavors. Sugar sweetness comes in with a slight yeasty wheat flavor that is squashed by the sweet fruit. Not much finish nor any hops to pick out.

M: Light, not lasting and not full with no alcohol traces.

D: Medium but the sweetness will get in the way of having a few of these.

Overall a decent at best summer wheat beer. It needs more hops and less sweetness.

2.35/5  rDev -30.1%

Bought a sixer at a gas station on the way to band practice. This was as craftiest beer the store had to offer. I didn't see anything on the bottle suggesting this had fruit theme, so I was surprised at the berry smell, which seemed more like artificial flavoring than real berries.
The taste is consistent with the smell. I really thought something had happened at the brewery and they had inadvertently mixed one of their berry beers with this. I could only finish about half of one of these. The berry flavor tastes to me like it doesn't belong in there.

3.2/5  rDev -4.8%

One of my friends is/was all about this beer. I never really liked it. Ive had it on tap served with real blueberries in the glass also.

A- Surprisingly looks quite nice. It holds a nice thick head, the beer is deeply clouded and has a nice light orange hue.

S- It starts to go down hill and get a little gimmicky here. Everyone who said it smells like fruity pebbles or fruit loops werent lying. Really, its very, very strong on blueberry. There is also lots of witbier-like spices. Since they use a lager yeast and not a Belgian yeast some stuff is missing like an earthiness.

T- Very sweet and artificial. Lots of mixed berries, mostly blueberries. Like the nose there is lots of spices as well. This aspect of the beer is actually pretty surprising. I expected something more toned back seeing as how this beer is everywhere.

M- Not good feeling. Very, very carbonated. To the point of being painful. The finish is slick and a bit syrupy.

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

this is not my idea of a witbier. nose of fruit loops. a wheat beer with cornmeal in it. color is a bit more orange than expected. made me feel like i was drinking something made for 16 year old's. palate of citrus, corn starch, and sugar cane. as expected a pretty big waste of time. i'm being lenient by calling it average.

2.48/5  rDev -26.2%

12oz bottle, plastic 20oz cup, July 5, 2010 freshness date. Just in time.

Not exceptional for a Wit or Wiess, but pretty solid. There isn't enough head. It is quite cloudy, golden, and has white froth.

Admittedly, my friend told me it was the fruity pebbles beer; and he's completely correct. There is some lemon citrus and wheat but they are overpowered by the fruity cereal.

Here we go again..if I wanted fruity pebbles cereal in my wheat beer I'd just pour some cereal in. Still lemon citric bite and sweet wheat. What is this?

The mouth is slick. The carb isn't aggressive. This isn't thought provoking but average.

I think the fruity sweetness is too much. This isn't something I'd buy, ever.

2.9/5  rDev -13.7%

Had a few of these on tap at Summerfest in Milwaukee.

Appearance: Slightly hazy amber color with a half finger of white head.

Smell: Light, fruity, citrus and blueberry. A very sweet and fruity smelling brew.

Taste: Wheaty (naturally) with flavors of orange, lemon and there is that blueberry again...but subtle. Not bad for a summer refresher when it's served very cold.

Mouth Feel: Light-bodied and thin with a lot of carbonation.

Drinkability: Not bad for a wheaty summer brew. Not quite the flavor I expect from a true 'witbier'...but not bad either. Maybe just a tad too sweet and fruity.

3.7/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz. twist-off,

A: Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a half finger of white head.

S: It really does smell like Fruity Pebbles, people have said it, it's true. It's actually pretty cool.

T: Fruity Pebbles, strawberry, assorted wheat flavour, orange, banana, nice mix of tastes - fruit salad.

M: Crisp, light-bodied, relatively smooth, but not the cleanest finish.

D: Not too bad. The flavour is quite good, but it's gets a little too sweet at the finish for my tastes. Don't know why people diss this one.

3.48/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz mixed-six single with a freshness stamp of May 19 10. Pours a very hazy, murky gold color. Fluffed cap of off-white head dissipates rapidly, leaving a few strings of lace on the glass.

It is truly uncanny how closely the nose resembles Fruity Pebbles cereal, pretty much a dead ringer. I guess it is the combination of grains, citrus and yeast that create this unique profile, Fred and Barney would be most proud.

Taste has quite a bit of grapefruit flesh, lemon zest and even concord grape juice flavors. Grainy and bready malt with a little spice and hop zing on the finish. Wheat tanginess gives it a snappy and refreshing aspect. I like this more than I thought I would, easy to drink and my glass is draining rather rapidly. Dont think I will be rushing out to buy a six-pack of this anytime soon, but would I drink it again? Most definitely.

2.35/5  rDev -30.1%

A - Yellow colored beer that is just a touch hazy with a one finger white head that disappeared to nothing rather quickly, leaving the sides of the glass clean.

S - A pretty fruity smell comes off of this beer, but not in a way it should. Smells pretty artificial and over the top. Kind of citrusy with a grainy backbone.

T - Doesn't taste good. Too sweet followed by some sort of chemically aftertaste. There is a malt backbone on this that is a little bready, but the mix as a whole is just horrible.

M - Light bodied with a bit too mch carbonation.

D - Surprisingly not drinkable, as the taste on this one kills it.

2.55/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle from a summer mixed 12 pack. drank from a standard pint glass.

A- this one pours out a murky golden yellow colored body with a small white head on it. the head quickly fizzes away and leaves behind little to no lacing.

S- very sweet and artificially fruity smelling. lots of orange with a little bit of lemon. not much in common with other wit beer smells.

T- the taste is also very sweet and almost candy like. the orange i could smell comes through strong. theres also something i couldnt quite put my finger on until i looked at this site. apparently its blueberry.

M- light bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. maybe a little too high.

D- ive found most of the leinenkugals offerings to be too sweet, and this was no exception. this isnt something ill have too often. it is a nice choice at restaurants that only have the other BMC offerings on tap or in bottles.

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

A- A hazy brew with a reasonably nice head on it, especially compared to some other Lienie's products.
S- Smell is of wheat and fruit. Lemon and berry being the chief fruit smells.
T- The taste is more or less all fruit. It's not a terrible beer, but the wheat kinda got lost in there. No real hop presence.
M- Clean and thin. Carbonation seemed low on mine as well.
D- This is another one of lienie's decent beers but nothing that is worth many repeated visits for me. Another one of of those ones that we may owe some credit to for being an intro-to-craft, even if it isn't a great beer in and of itself.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

It's been said before, but this one smells exactly like fruity pebbles. One of the more citrusy beers around. Fruit flavor is prominent and completely overpowers the beer. A big fruity pebbles taste. It is a bit of a gimmick beer, but it is tasty and an easy drink

3.13/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Cloudy yellow with mild small-bubble lacing if glass-poured.
S: Mild citrus aroma
T: This drink surprises me with Fruity Pebbles every time. I do not think it is the best a wheat beer can taste, but it has a unique flavor. Sometimes can leave a gassy/carbonation after taste.
M: Smooth almost flat feel. Leaves filmy coating on tongue and back of throat.
D: For this style I think it is a little more difficult to drink than others. Contrast against the Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy which for its "radler" style is much had good drinkability.

3.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Overall a solid beer, definitely a session beer, something you could have a bunch of and be ok with. Good pour, nice cloudy yellow color, has that light and fluffy quality, reminds me of a belgian white, suble taste, but smooth, has a lemon/citrus taste in it as well, slight bitterness as well, and highly carbonated.

Not an overpowering beer, sort of nondescript but still good. Doesn't jump out at me, but also something I could drink regularly and be satisfied with. Maybe a bit too suble or tame for my taste, but overall good. A bit pricey for what it is in my opinion though.

I would like to try something else darker or more flavorful from them to get a better idea of what they are capable of.

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer poured with a satisfying head and it laced the glass during my enjoyment of the bottle's contents.

I characterize it as a "refresher" beer. That is, a beer that one enjoys for its ability to quench a thirst, as an "every day" beer that one might enjoy because it's slightly different, and probably a host of other reasons..

This beer is quite light-- I'm not sure if I'd call it a wheat beer maybe because it's citrus like overtones in its flavor is so predominate I tend to notice the citrus and forget the other attributes about its flavor.

It does have a satisfying balance of flavor-- it's not entirely citrus. But the flavor profile is not a particularly robust stance on the palate.

I like the drinkability- maybe it's the 4.9% ABV, maybe I enjoyed the beer after pushing the lawnmower around all day and I was in bad need of a thrist quencher.

I did enjoy this beer- but should someone ask me for an example of a fine wheat beer-- I don't think I'd chose this one to carry the wheat beer reference banner.

3.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Light gold in body with a thin white head.

S: Clove and orange.

T: Orange on the start and finish with a nice sweet, refreshing bite.

M: very smooth and creamy, short lingering taste.

D: With a nice spicy after tone, this beer still goes down smooth and is refreshing, a nice summer beer that is not too light.

3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

Served on-tap at BWW in Oregon, OH during the US-England game. The accompanying orange was promptly discarded both times.

A: The witbier has a golden yellow glow, hazed but brilliant in the tall weizen glass. A finger of white head arrived with each glass.

S: The nose is citrusy sweet with oranges adding a welcome zest. Coriander and wheat hang around, adding to the lush environment.

T: Orange is strong up front, sweet juice as opposed to bitter rinds. As the orange passes, a mild coriander flavor follows. Lingering in the background is ample wheat, tart enough to stand out. That wheat is especially evident during the latter part of each glass, refreshingly tart.

M: An enjoyable witbier, sweet upfront and tart near the finish. The tartness makes me want another sip.

D: I went through two glasses over the course of the game. I enjoyed the witbier, especially the strong orange aspects.

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Review from notes on 4/17/10

OMG! This is THE Fruity Pebbles beer! Poured a hazy yellow with a light, white head. The aroma is unmistakably fruity pebble-ish with orange juice. However, I get a big dose of berry extract and wheat in the flavor. Light and fizzy, this is a great novelty beer for those who enjoy the cereal, but can also be a great beach beer too. I will revisit this as the weather warms.

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 23oz NY Mets pilsner glass.

Appearance: Murky golden color with a small, thick white head that stays for a while and leaves lots of lace.

Smell: Smells strongly of passionfruit and oranges.

Taste: Wheaty beginning, with a very fruity, citrusy-sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Lighter body with balanced carbonation and a refreshing finish.

Drinkability: This beer is better than I thought, though maybe a bit too fruity. I'd have it again, but not with other beers available. Certainly worth a taste.

2.9/5  rDev -13.7%

I Got a single bottle of this at my local shops leave one take one six pack. I have been intrigued by Sunset Wheat for a while but I refused to spend money on it.

A: It Has a light golden almost cloudy with the yeast swirling around. The head is 2 or 3 fingers and retains well

S: The smell is like a blueberry blunt wrap, artificial blueberry. It's not off putting but rather inviting.

T:Just like it smells. The berry taste is strong, reminds me of fruity pebbles.

M: Dry, almost flat.

D:Its not bad but I couldn't see myself enjoying more than two of these at a time.

Poured into a Weizen glass.

A: Cloudy gold, with a foamy white head that slowly retreats to a thin blanket of foam. Leaves a bit of lace.

S: A heavy lemon soda aroma dominates. It's joined by a fair amount of anise and a little bit of dry biscuit.

T: Dry sourdough biscuit flavors get things going. A sweet, yet tart lemon-drop effect kicks in next. Bitterness is very mild and adds just a bit of pepper. Finishes dry and tart, with lingering lemon soda-pop flavors.

M: The light and grainy body has a quite a bit of tingling carbonation.

D: The flavor was way too artificial for me to really enjoy this. It almost seems like lemon soda mixed with wheat beer. It's certainly different. The low ABV makes it go down quick. It's a beer I probably won't revisit, but I can see it as a decent summer refresher.

4.47/5  rDev +33%

The next time you are out on your deck, down the shore or throwing your next BBQ, I highly recommend grabing a case of Sunset Wheat! This is one of the best and refreshing wheat beers I have tried. The orange taste is already in the beer and is very fruitful to the palate but not overwhelming. To me this is a perfect summer beer that I will enjoy for summers to come!

Pours a hazy golden orange color with little to no head.

Smells of orange, lemon and slight pepper notes. Lots of citrus character in the nose.

The taste has lots of carbonation and sweetness lingers on the tongue. There is plenty of spice and citrus to keep this refreshing on a hot day.

This is a tasty take on a belgian wit but it starts to get a bit too sweet on the palate.

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

I am can of all over the place with this one if I am looking for a fruity beer at a lower price point this is not a bad choice I didn't hate it and it did have some taste to it as well.

A - hazy yellow slight head retention.

S - faint orange probably coriander .

T - defintely fruity can taste the fruity pebbles people are talking about. I have had other witbiers so this is not as good as others I have tried.

M - can feel the orange in the background as well as some tang not bad not overwhelming.

D - I liked this I would have again given if that is what I was in the mood for here.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company