Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,210 | Reviews: 886
3.11/5  rDev -7.4%

A: Cloudy yellow with mild small-bubble lacing if glass-poured.
S: Mild citrus aroma
T: This drink surprises me with Fruity Pebbles every time. I do not think it is the best a wheat beer can taste, but it has a unique flavor. Sometimes can leave a gassy/carbonation after taste.
M: Smooth almost flat feel. Leaves filmy coating on tongue and back of throat.
D: For this style I think it is a little more difficult to drink than others. Contrast against the Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy which for its "radler" style is much had good drinkability.

3.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Overall a solid beer, definitely a session beer, something you could have a bunch of and be ok with. Good pour, nice cloudy yellow color, has that light and fluffy quality, reminds me of a belgian white, suble taste, but smooth, has a lemon/citrus taste in it as well, slight bitterness as well, and highly carbonated.

Not an overpowering beer, sort of nondescript but still good. Doesn't jump out at me, but also something I could drink regularly and be satisfied with. Maybe a bit too suble or tame for my taste, but overall good. A bit pricey for what it is in my opinion though.

I would like to try something else darker or more flavorful from them to get a better idea of what they are capable of.

3.76/5  rDev +11.9%

This beer poured with a satisfying head and it laced the glass during my enjoyment of the bottle's contents.

I characterize it as a "refresher" beer. That is, a beer that one enjoys for its ability to quench a thirst, as an "every day" beer that one might enjoy because it's slightly different, and probably a host of other reasons..

This beer is quite light-- I'm not sure if I'd call it a wheat beer maybe because it's citrus like overtones in its flavor is so predominate I tend to notice the citrus and forget the other attributes about its flavor.

It does have a satisfying balance of flavor-- it's not entirely citrus. But the flavor profile is not a particularly robust stance on the palate.

I like the drinkability- maybe it's the 4.9% ABV, maybe I enjoyed the beer after pushing the lawnmower around all day and I was in bad need of a thrist quencher.

I did enjoy this beer- but should someone ask me for an example of a fine wheat beer-- I don't think I'd chose this one to carry the wheat beer reference banner.

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Light gold in body with a thin white head.

S: Clove and orange.

T: Orange on the start and finish with a nice sweet, refreshing bite.

M: very smooth and creamy, short lingering taste.

D: With a nice spicy after tone, this beer still goes down smooth and is refreshing, a nice summer beer that is not too light.

3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

Served on-tap at BWW in Oregon, OH during the US-England game. The accompanying orange was promptly discarded both times.

A: The witbier has a golden yellow glow, hazed but brilliant in the tall weizen glass. A finger of white head arrived with each glass.

S: The nose is citrusy sweet with oranges adding a welcome zest. Coriander and wheat hang around, adding to the lush environment.

T: Orange is strong up front, sweet juice as opposed to bitter rinds. As the orange passes, a mild coriander flavor follows. Lingering in the background is ample wheat, tart enough to stand out. That wheat is especially evident during the latter part of each glass, refreshingly tart.

M: An enjoyable witbier, sweet upfront and tart near the finish. The tartness makes me want another sip.

D: I went through two glasses over the course of the game. I enjoyed the witbier, especially the strong orange aspects.

3.67/5  rDev +9.2%

Review from notes on 4/17/10

OMG! This is THE Fruity Pebbles beer! Poured a hazy yellow with a light, white head. The aroma is unmistakably fruity pebble-ish with orange juice. However, I get a big dose of berry extract and wheat in the flavor. Light and fizzy, this is a great novelty beer for those who enjoy the cereal, but can also be a great beach beer too. I will revisit this as the weather warms.

3.59/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 23oz NY Mets pilsner glass.

Appearance: Murky golden color with a small, thick white head that stays for a while and leaves lots of lace.

Smell: Smells strongly of passionfruit and oranges.

Taste: Wheaty beginning, with a very fruity, citrusy-sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Lighter body with balanced carbonation and a refreshing finish.

Drinkability: This beer is better than I thought, though maybe a bit too fruity. I'd have it again, but not with other beers available. Certainly worth a taste.

2.91/5  rDev -13.4%

I Got a single bottle of this at my local shops leave one take one six pack. I have been intrigued by Sunset Wheat for a while but I refused to spend money on it.

A: It Has a light golden almost cloudy with the yeast swirling around. The head is 2 or 3 fingers and retains well

S: The smell is like a blueberry blunt wrap, artificial blueberry. It's not off putting but rather inviting.

T:Just like it smells. The berry taste is strong, reminds me of fruity pebbles.

M: Dry, almost flat.

D:Its not bad but I couldn't see myself enjoying more than two of these at a time.

Poured into a Weizen glass.

A: Cloudy gold, with a foamy white head that slowly retreats to a thin blanket of foam. Leaves a bit of lace.

S: A heavy lemon soda aroma dominates. It's joined by a fair amount of anise and a little bit of dry biscuit.

T: Dry sourdough biscuit flavors get things going. A sweet, yet tart lemon-drop effect kicks in next. Bitterness is very mild and adds just a bit of pepper. Finishes dry and tart, with lingering lemon soda-pop flavors.

M: The light and grainy body has a quite a bit of tingling carbonation.

D: The flavor was way too artificial for me to really enjoy this. It almost seems like lemon soda mixed with wheat beer. It's certainly different. The low ABV makes it go down quick. It's a beer I probably won't revisit, but I can see it as a decent summer refresher.

4.47/5  rDev +33%

The next time you are out on your deck, down the shore or throwing your next BBQ, I highly recommend grabing a case of Sunset Wheat! This is one of the best and refreshing wheat beers I have tried. The orange taste is already in the beer and is very fruitful to the palate but not overwhelming. To me this is a perfect summer beer that I will enjoy for summers to come!

Pours a hazy golden orange color with little to no head.

Smells of orange, lemon and slight pepper notes. Lots of citrus character in the nose.

The taste has lots of carbonation and sweetness lingers on the tongue. There is plenty of spice and citrus to keep this refreshing on a hot day.

This is a tasty take on a belgian wit but it starts to get a bit too sweet on the palate.

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

I am can of all over the place with this one if I am looking for a fruity beer at a lower price point this is not a bad choice I didn't hate it and it did have some taste to it as well.

A - hazy yellow slight head retention.

S - faint orange probably coriander .

T - defintely fruity can taste the fruity pebbles people are talking about. I have had other witbiers so this is not as good as others I have tried.

M - can feel the orange in the background as well as some tang not bad not overwhelming.

D - I liked this I would have again given if that is what I was in the mood for here.

2.26/5  rDev -32.7%

A - Pours cloudy golden-amber with a thin white head that leaves a little bit of lacing.

S - Smells like the cheap berry syrup that it was probably flavored with. Some faint grassy wheat aromas come through as well.

T - My God, it's true. It tastes like Fruity Pebbles. The wheat that was in the aroma comes through on the palate as well, weakly. There's also a subtle, but noticeable bite of tart citrus in the finish.

M - Light-bodied and a bit watery.

D - Not quite as bad as I was expecting, but I definitely won't be having it again.

3.73/5  rDev +11%

12 oz. long neck with a weird code stammed in yellow ink: '08090' on top of: '021600'

Pours a very cloudy muted yellow with just a tinge of copper. A dense, fluffy bright white head sits steadily at 1/2". Some visible moderate uprising fine carbonation. A little bit of stretchy and warped rings of lace.

Smells of fresh yeasty esters and soft & sweet malts. The fruits I smell are lemon, honeydew and blueberry.

The lemony citrus flavors greet the tongue and gracefully bow away, making room for the soft wheat malt to impart its somewhat sweet and rather clean entrance. The blueberry I initially smelled stays very apparent in the flavor, mixing nicely with the soft malts. The lemon citrus makes itself known before the flavors fade into the next gulp.

Mouthfeel is spot on for a Wit Bier. Very, very soft with a good amount of fine, airy carbonation. Light in body but very textured and yeasty.

Drinkability is very good. Great on a hot mid-80F degree day.

Overall a very good and solid example of a Wit Bier. I can't really fault anything except for a little too much blueberry scent & flavor. I do believe this is intentional by the brewer. I'd like to see a little more lemon zest and about 50% less blueberry. Other than that, we've got ourselves a $5.99/sixer summer winner!

4.4/5  rDev +31%

It's a Macro-Wit, what do you expect?!? I love Oberon & Hacker, unimpressed by Blue Moon, won't even look at Spotted Cow. This is a beer meant to be consumed on a hot day, in moderation...or more. The orange taste is what makes it fun. No need for an orange slice. Isn't it true, a real beer drinker doesn't add fruit? None needed!

3.27/5  rDev -2.7%

A: a cloudy yellow color. well carbonated. 1 finger of head, which lasts a while.

S: a very strong citrus flavor. almost like lemon.

T: a bit sour, same as smell. kind of like lemon. expected a little more, love cloudy wheat beer, but there wasnt really anything there.

M: light body.

D: well on a hot day, light easy to drink. i would have another, but not m favorite wheat beer by far. its a little to sour, as if it was a lemon beer. i would have it again, but it has to be a hot day while im fishing!

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

From 5/15/10 notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours an orange-yellow color with an inch of white head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of sweet malts and sweet fruits. Not really getting any wheat here, just a lot of sweetness.

t - Taste is exactly that of fruity pebbles. Sweet fruits dominate the taste.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - Wasn't a big fan of this beer. I usually like sweet beers but this was way to much even for me. It essentially smells and tastes exactly like fruity pebbles so it was interesting to try, but not something I would have more of or look to have again.

3.67/5  rDev +9.2%

This isn't a bad little wheat beer. It has a good tan color that let's the drinker immediatly know you have a wheat beer, and an after taste that is oddly close to fruity pebbles.
One complaint I will have with this beer, and most of Liene's brews are that they are all slightly watered down. Like someone has taken an excellent beer and dilluted it to where it is only good. Still very drinkable, but could be SO much better.

2.96/5  rDev -11.9%

Appearance: Light orange, decent head retention and lacing.

Aroma: Really fruity, like fruity pebbles. No wheat scent.

Taste: This is going to give me a toothache its so sweet. Where's the wheat? Very fruity.

Feel/Drink: Light mouthfeel. I can't finish this, taste is way to off.

3.18/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Nice cloudy yellow hue with a decent sized head.
Smell: A fruity scent with a definite dominance of orange flavor. There is also a hint of wheat malt.
taste: Very crisp and clean with a strong sweet orange flavor. It doesnt have much else but serves its purpose. Quite refreshing.
Mouth feel and Drinkability: Very easy to drink and crisp with good carbonation. Nothing too crazy, just a good fruity wheat beer.

3.47/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into 14oz glass. Poured a cloudy yellow with less than an inch of white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing.

There was a noticeable blueberry scent as soon as I popped the cap. In the glass, the more usual wheat and spice scents were apparent, with the berries. The flavor had the nice wheat base expected from the style, along with the spices and fruit.

The body was fairly nice and balanced, although the berry sweetness was a bit sticky on the finish. Drinkability is good, but will depend on your tolerance for the sweetness.

Overall, a decent beer I'd drink with some regularity if it were local to me. I think the beer would be better if they dialed back the berry just a wee bit. Worth trying if you see it.

3.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance 4.0: Low head retention, fairly light golden color with moderate lacing. Very respectable beer appearance.

Smell 3.5: Definite wheat scent and was evident and considerably strong the moment the bottle was opened.

Taste 4.0: There is a very faint sweetness to it, but the fact that it is a wheat beer is apparent. Perhaps a hint of orange can be tasted, but it isn't anywhere close to overwhelming. Very appealing taste compared to most wheat beers.

Mouthful 4.0: Pretty standard, carbonation is adequate and its smoothness is above average

Drinkability 3.5: I could definitely drink several of these in one sitting, although it isn't anything exceptionally noteworthy. However, I would definitely recommend it.

3.33/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

A:Hazy light orange in color. Two finger head. Lacing is sporadic.
S: Very fruity. I'm getting orange, blueberry
T: Very fruity again. Wheat, orange, strong blueberry.
M: Nice mouth feel for a wit. Not too thin as I expected.
D: Very drinkable on a warm afternoon. Bit to sweet and fruity after 3 or 4 though.

This will have a place in my fridge all summer long. Solid brew for a very cheap price. There are better alternatives but not at this price point.

2.27/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a weizen glass, this brew pours a hazy golden orange and sports an inch or frothy white foam. Fine looking brew.

Nose is of lemon pledge. Odd citrus factors at bay along with a soapy hop sense. Unnatural and odd.

Taste follows with lemon soap, bit of citric wheat and a lightly coarse finish.

Fairly decent feel yet the overwhelming lemon pucker makes it rather thin at times. I'd had this a year or so ago and was convinced it was the worst beer on the planet. Well, it's not as bad as I thought, but it's by no means good. Bottom line, lose the additives and just make beer.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: Doesn't look like a strong wheat beer...cloudy, but not as much as Blue Moon and definitely not like Hacker-Pschorr. More of a dark yellow than anything. There's a good bit of foam and a lot of nice lacing.

Smell: Sunset Wheat emits a pleasant fruity aroma and comes across like a wheat beer here. Very little spice.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Easy to drink. Initially tastes a bit lemony and kind of flowery and then...it arrives...Fruity Pebbles! Like no other beer! I like it. Nice and smooth.

Drinkability: No problems drinking this...not nearly as strong and fruity as Berry Weiss can be for some people.

Overall: Nothing wrong with this beer. It's decent-looking. It smells fine. It tastes good and drinks well. Not bad in the autumn if you ask me.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company