Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle with screw-off cap

Appearance: Nice cloudy gold beer with a bit of yeast...good for the style....stark white head with a decent retention

Smell: I'm sorry, but I have to agree with most people...strong Fruity Pebbles aroma with bits of fresh blueberry muffin

Taste: Fruity Pebbles, backed with a sharp fresh blueberry taste, just the slightest hint of yeast, and a tart citrus note

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied

Drinkability: High

Conclusion: Odd, fruity, sweet/tart...and tasty!

BedetheVenerable, Jan 31, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +17.3%

2 oz brown bottle with a bottle code, no freshness date.

A- Cloudy them clear. Nice foamy head

S- Citrus, esp. lemon. Scent of summer spices

T&M- Mild wheat with noticeable lemon taste. Smooth to the palate...refreshing

D- This is an excellent summer brew. It is light enough to drink a few, while still refreshing enough to quensh on a hot day. This is one of my favorites from Leinies.. asolid summer beer

brewpaul, Jan 27, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +21.8%

I didn't try it with orange, as is often recommended with a wheat beer, but it's very good nevertheless. I may have found an alternative to Blue Moon and if you have this one available you might want to do the same. A good flavour, easy to drink, probably better in the summer.

marc956, Jan 25, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +10.4%

Just stoped in a bar on my way home from work and asked the bar tender what they had in bottles this one was one i never had

Appearance: ? drank it right out the bottle

Smell: very very fruity

Taste: Alot like fruity pebbles

Mouthfeel: smooth

Drink: Not to bad only had one but i think after a couple i would get sick of the fruityness

yuenglings, Jan 20, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance: very cloudy orange yellow..no head no carbonation

Smell: orange julius..oranges, lemons, a bit of honeysuckle

Taste: orange julius..oranges, lemons, a bit of honeysuckle

Mouthfeel: medium body--smooth and sweet

Drinkability: This is a 5 in the summer after cutting the grass or hanging on the porch. A perfect beer for that time of year. I could relax and make this a session beer..since this tastes so summery, in the winter it is 3.0..not quite ready for the brightness of this beer and one seems about right if not too much. A 4 is an in between.

tigg924, Jan 17, 2009
2.55/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Relatively hazy pale-golden-orange beer. Fluffy white head on top, subsided quickly to a persistent layer.

S-Smells overwhelmingly of orange, likely derived from the natural flavor running rampant. Some wheat and twang underneath.

T-Tastes like mellow lemon and orange flavoring, as the label clearly denotes. There is also a prominent wheat flavor, once I'm able to sift through all the oranginess.

M-High, yet light carbonation and a light body, with a slight pucker to it (probably from the wheat, with a contribution from the flavoring).

D-This is a complicated beer, and not in a great way. When this was first released, I drank this one almost exclusively on the sidewalk at Patrick's on Third for a couple weeks. This beer tastes great on a warm day and as many refreshing and enjoyable properties. However, this beer loses any credibility by relying so heavily on its "natural flavor," a relatively dreaded phrase in the world of beer.

This beer is the tops sitting on a lawn chair in your backyard on a hot summer day. Any other time, this beer will leave you unsatisfied.

CHSLBrew, Jan 15, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -8.1%

I had a friend who was crazy about this beer. I decided to give it a try and wondered what he was thinking.
The color is a orangy gold with a nice thick white head. The smell was dominated by fruity accents and wheat. The taste was citrusy and spicy, too much fruit taste in my opinion. The mouthfeel was good with a nice smooth taste, but a little watery. I couldnt see myself drinking this alot.

cagocubs, Jan 14, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -17%

Pours a cloudy orange with a thin lacing white head. The aroma is overly spicy with coriander, ginger, and nutmeg as well as strong notes of wheat. The flavor is sweet and very wheaty and very spicy again coriander, ginger, and nutmeg are present, leading to a dry spicy and wheaty end. The body is thin. This beer could be very refreshing. I just can't get past the moldy celery flavor that comes from the coriander that they use.

kmeves, Jan 14, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: Presented with a slice of orange (aehh). Cloudy, dark golden in appearance; head well-carbonated but dissipates fairly quickly.
Smell: Sharp fruity aroma in front of a wheat base.
Taste: Wheat backbone very apparent- lasts through to the middle of the tasting. Fruity and mildly spicy flavor profiles noted towards the middle of the tasting and almost feel a little aggressive. Blueberry is the first flavor to come to mind here. The aftertaste is clean.
Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium-bodied mouthfeel. Also a little zing from the carbonation.
Drinkability: Fairly drinkable, though I don't think I would up for more than one of these.

Overall; while the wheat and fruit flavors tend to mesh well here, the overall taste of this beer just doesn't click with me. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the noticeable blueberry flavor profile.

coalcracker, Jan 10, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -42.4%

I have to admit to being surprised about how people have rated this beer, being one I've always really, really disliked.

I don't consider myself a beer snob by any means at all, but I can't really think of many other macro beers more offensive than this one. I've seen it listed in menus at bars as "Trix beer". This is because it really does sort of taste like eating Trix cereal.

It's really, really fruity. And fizzy. Girls do love it, though. I can attest from experience that it is an excellent beer for introducing girls who "don't like beer" to something other than BMC lite beers.

I certainly would never have even thought to call it a "white beer," though. It tastes like nothing else I've ever had before or want to have again. As one of the Alstrom bros said in his review, perhaps this is an "American white," but I hope not. It's not a Belgian white. Belgian white's don't taste like Trix.

redjameskidd, Jan 09, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -0.6%

had it on tap and whiskey's, on bolyston st

A nice cloudy amber color,
S -smells mostly of cotton candy, or fruit loops.
TM - Not too malty nor hoppy, mouthfeel little watery
D - this beer is drinkable.

good not great. won't be a rush to buy any time soon.

drnknmnky, Jan 07, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours golden with visible sediment. Candy nose. Drinks sweet but light, with cotton candy notes along with blueberry - crumble or maybe Eggos. Just enough wit tang to not be cloying.

Not a gourmet beer, but at the same time, insanely drinkable. Like eating a bag of Skittles at one time - in a good way.

StJamesGate, Jan 05, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +18.8%

I live in north carolina and love to get my hands on beer from my area back home. I finally have tried the most poplular one down here the Sunset Wheat.
The appearance of this was nice and cloudy, the head was nice and thick at first but disapated after about a minute.
The smell is just fairly subtile but hinted of almost friuty.
The taste is not too strong, i tasted a bit of blueberry in it which would explain the bit of fruit i smelled.
The mouthfeel is was nice and smooth, not too much for carbination.
The drinkability was very good with a bit a sweetness to the aftertaste. Overall a very decent beer.

remllof, Jan 04, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Nice white inch head, hazy dark orange in color. Nice lacing through out and good head retention

First smell is fruity, some blueberries and coriander. Slight malts and also some allspice

Taste is of sweet malts, blueberries , and of course coriander or orange peel. Very fruity, light on the malts and almost no taste of hops at all.

Beer is over carbonated but has a slight creamy head that kind of offsets the carbonation. Light bodied and leaves a fruity taste in the mouth for a while

Highly drinkable beer. Perfect for hot summer days. One of my favorite witbiers, and available at many places

angelmonster, Jan 04, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is a good wheat, but feels light on flavor. The citrus aspect is quite present, but lacks layers of hops.

This is a good beer if you wish to drink 3 or 4 bottles, but if you are looking for a bold flavor you may wish to look somewhere else.

Overall I think this is on the better side of American wheat.

Trajega, Jan 03, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

Overall a very good wheat beer, definitely different than the rest. It has a much sweeter flavor than most other wheats, I detect a hint of some berries, great mouth feel and drinks very well. I would say it is great for people who want a really good beer, but not into a rich hoppy flavor.

BaltimoreMike, Dec 31, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

12/28/08- Had via the tap into a 16oz plastic glass at the Redskins-49ers game at Candlestick Park.

Presentation- Via the tap into a 16oz plastic glass....$10 price tag! Was purchased for me by a friend.

Appearance- Never saw the actual pour, but arrived with a 1/4 inch semi-creamy head. Quite murky, but no large yeast chunks, just very clouded. Left some lace markings on the plastic cup.

Smell- Has that not so nice yeasty processed syrupy fruit nose. Lots of yeast and some spicy aspects.

Taste- Very sugary, very canned fruit syrup-like taste. Yeasty, mild corriander, a bit of white pepper, but mostly cloying candy like fruit flavor. Not my cup of tea.

Mouthfeel- Mild carbonation...took me a good quarter of the game to suck this down and drank the last 4oz or so quite warm. Sticky and sweet.

Drinkability- Wouldn't have bought this, but appreciate my friends gesture. Won't be having this again, but it is beer, so I'll try anything once.

GClarkage, Dec 29, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +2.4%

one of my first reviews, a bit new to this, but bear with me..from the start it smell like blueberries, and fruity not sure from where.. sweet tasting , i would say its decent beer to drink, close to good but not quite there,. at least in my opinion..light and easy ti drink though.. so i would give it one thumb up

JP024, Dec 25, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

I had this at a bar in Denison, TX a couple years ago and loved it. this one comes from a mixed 6 pack with the Fireside Nut Brown and Honey Weise.

Poured into a pint glass very cloudy pale yellow color with a decent white head that is lasting for longer that I expected. Smells of sweet fruit blue berries to be more specific. Taste like blue berries and fruity pebbles, very sweeet tasting mouthfeel is fairly watery. This is a very drinkable beer. I will probably get this again.

mugglesandhops, Dec 25, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a pint.

A: Dark cloudy straw. Almost opaque. Light carbonation pours into a 1 finger bubbly white head. Settles quickly into a thin layer of bubbles on surface. A little beer clingage to the sides of the glass, but the very little lacing retreats quickly into the body of the brew.

S: Strong wheat and honey aroma.

T: Wheat is prominent, some yeast, a little sweet, hint of hops, hint of citrus.

M: Wheat initially, sweet honey aroma filters up into the nose. Leaves a subtle hoppy aftertaste, lemon, and honey.

D: Good drinkabilty. Flavorful, light, refreshing.

This brew has a nice nose, and an pretty good palette. Nice combination of flavors, good balance, no strong alcohol taste. Overall, nice quaff.

bmwats, Dec 22, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +6%

I got this bottle from my parent's refrigerator in Tampa, FL and poured it into a flared pint glass.
Appearance: A cloudy deep gold body, huge white head. Good retention and super lacing.
Smell: Lemon and orange.
Taste: Tart fruit, strawberry maybe.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and dry.
Drinkability: Good.
Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Dec 21, 2008

A - Average looking but soapy head. The beer is a cloudy light amber similar to the look of blue moon. Hardly any lacing to speak of.

S - Orange Juice, and Fruity pebbles. I would try to be more serious with this response, but I am being truthful in that is what I am smelling. I just really don't like fruity pebbles.

T - Not much to it, fairly sweet and very fruity but watery.

M - Not much here either, watery, with a bit of a soda like zing from the carbonation.

D - I made this a 3 because I am not arguing that the beer is not drinkable, it is drinkable the same way that bud light is drinkable it's just not enjoyable for me to drink because I am turned off by the smell and taste.

I can see how some would like this brew, and a friend of mine really hyped it up before I tried it. I was disappointed, but you may like it, so give it a whirl. Everyone deserves a chance.

Deingeist, Dec 19, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -35.2%

Pours almost neon yellow, a little unsettling and fake-looking actually. No head, no lacing. Starting to seem typical of Leinenkugel's beers.

Smell.. Overpowering blueberry, nothing else. Like fruity pebbles. Very, very fake smelling. Not at all enticing, almost gross. Beer shouldn't smell like this.

Taste is a bit better, some lemon, cilantro, a touch of grapefruit. Very sweet, no real wheat taste here to speak of. This beer unsettles me partly due to Leinenkugel's reputation, but also because of it's peculiar aroma.

The carbonation is somewhat laid back compared to the other brews of theirs that I've tried, and it's far more drinkable.

This won't be one that I try again. This is more of a malt beverage than anything else, almost a soft drink.

Vendetta, Dec 18, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +13.4%

appearance- pours a cloudy golden yellow with a one finger head, carbonation is lively, and has minimal lacing.

smell- ...blueberries and citrus...?

taste- has a great sweet taste. tastes just the way it smells and it is not overly sweet. very enjoyable.

mouthfeel- maybe a tad bit to carbonated but it's good.

drinkability- very refreshing and drinkable brew.

heath1agnew, Dec 15, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I enjoyed this. The blueberry flavor is unexpected (at least it was to me) and I rather like it. I honestly think it has more blueberry flavor than Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale (the only other blueberry flavored beer I've tried) which is odd to me, but nevertheless, I enjoyed it.

Has a fruity citrus smell and flavor. Looks like a typical Witbier but a little clearer. Mouthfeel is good, medium body and good carbonation. Definitely drinkable. I could see myself taking down a sixer in one evening quite easily.

I rather enjoyed this, and just solidified my liking for Witbiers.

Mistofminn, Dec 14, 2008