Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,210 | Reviews: 886
3.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Guinness-branded tulip pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy brownish-orange color. The head is tight and white and dissipates slowly leaving little lacing.

Smell: Smells so strongly of oranges that you might think it was orange juice. Has hints of wheatiness in the background.

Taste: Starts off wheaty and a little bitter. Finishes with strong citric flavors.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full-bodied for a wheat beer. Also pretty crisp and refreshing.

Drinkability: A decent wheat beer and one of Leinenkugel's better offerings. Would be nice on a summer evening...

3.87/5  rDev +15.2%

A - One and a half inch head is off white, leaves no lacing or any retention to speak of. Pour is a nice cloudy honey with mild effervescence.

S - Very fragrant, you can smell this beer as soon as you start pouring. Strong citrus, pineapple, mild yeast, and some pomegranate.

T - Fresh oranges, pineapple, hints of passion fruit, some light sweet malts, and a small flowery hop presence. Aftertaste is brief and fruity.

M - Subdued carbonation gives it a decent weight. Kind of like drinking carbonated fruit nectar.

D - Very crisp and pleasing, this beer tastes like the tropics.

3.57/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured at 52 degrees into a 16oz pint glass.

As it pours, theres a golden color, slightly hazy with a white, two finger head that dissapates slowly leaving almost no lacing. I'd say a good look for a wheat beer.

The smell is very sweet with a heavy citrus influence. If I didn't know it was a beer, I would swear I was smelling a blueberry muffin.

The taste is very fruity, mostly a sourness due to the orange. Very different from most wheats.

The mouth is smooth, slightly watery with a bit to much carbonation.

Overall, this is a beer that I wouldn't mind having around as something light to drink with meals.

3.67/5  rDev +9.2%

A: The beer is a cloudy amber color. When poured, a head about a finger tall forms but almost immediately disipates.

S: A strong citrus lemon scent holds a hint of blueberry smell with it.

T: As the other reviews have noted, this beer tastes uncannily like Fruity Pebbles. In fact it tastes of almost nothing else, with just a hint of grain flavor and a very tiny hops taste near the finish. This is not to say it's bad tasting; actually it tastes quite good, but certainly is a bit of a shock when the label clearly says it's supposed to be beer.

M: It feels slick in the mouth - not quite slimey or anything, but somewhat more slick than other beers. The carbonation is very mild here as well.  Its mouthfeel is in no way entertaining or interesting, but that's not really a bad thing; it's just average.

D: Drinkability is high as one would expect from what seems marketed as a summer beer. It's pretty easy to put down a bottle and want more, but this is not because it actually tastes like beer. Again, it tastes extremely similar to Fruity Pebbles. If you like the cereal, I see no reason you wouldn't enjoy the taste of this beer.  Do not expect to actually get any beer flavor from this product, but as a beverage it tastes good and drinks well.

3.04/5  rDev -9.5%

Got from a Wisconsinite who was kind enough to share. Pours a hazy golden with a half finger of white head, little retention and a little bit of lacing. Smells sugary-sweet. Raspberry, maybe cherries, maybe apricots.

Sort of like fruit snacks or other imitation fruit flavor because of the sugars and the number of fruit smells. Or maybe Trix. Distracting.

Orange and light malt flavors up front, then cherries and some spices, mellows out towards the end. A lot like the smell--thankfully doesn't taste as sweet.

Light to medium bodied, with appropriate carbonation. Decent drinkability. No issues there.

The artificial fruit in the nose and taste were far less present when the beer was colder, but I'm drinking it below cellar temp and it still tastes like Trix: grapity purple and raspberry red.

Oh, and orangey orange.

3.57/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a hazy yellow in the glass with a small white froth. (Looks more like a hefe than a witbier, but no denying the wheat element.) A pronounced and slightly sweet, but dry bouquet of orange zest, lemon, raspberries, cherries, blueberries (kinda smells like Fruity Pebbles), & light biscuit. (In my opinion, this is the best part of the beer.) The beer is dry and crisp, but refreshing with flavors of bitter orange rind, lemon, white bread, & subtle raspberries on the finish. The beer is light and lean (as to be expected from a witbier), but a little more waterly than I like and offers a slight astringency on the back end. Overall this is a decent beer that, unfortunately, doesn't taste as good as it smells. Although this wouldn't be my first, it wouldn't be my last choice either.

3.16/5  rDev -6%

Apearance - Pours a clody golden orange with a one finger white head that fades quickly leaving behind only a cap. Slight lacing.

Nose- Orange, cherry, apricot and cotton candy? I was trying not to say it, but its all that comes to mind, fruity pebbles.

Palate- Cherry, spicy notes up front that evolves to a creamy orange. Agian, all I can think of us cereal.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Drinkability- I can't say I want another, but I can see how someone could session with this.

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

12 oz bottle into a deep goblet.

A: Pours a hazy pale orange with some chunks of yeast that sink to the bottom; half an inch of thick, off-white foam leaves thin lace. Not bad at all.

S: Smooth, sweet, and fruity.

T: Fruity Pebbles, plain and simple. Ever since a bartender described it to my wife this way, I haven't been able to taste anything else in this beer; that said, it's an amazingly close likeness of a delicious cereal. Cool.

M: Fairly light bodied, smooth, and medium carbonation. Quite pleasant.

D: This goes down extremely easily. Great summer session beer, if you can take the intense fruity sweetness.

Notes: Very tasty brew; I wish I had had this on hand more often back when I lived in Wisconsin, as I can't imagine a more approachable beer to offer to those who haven't yet opened their eyes to the world of craft beer.

Cheers!

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a hazy golden color - bright and effervescent. Head formation is quick to appear, and even faster to dissipate.

S - Spicy - clove and cinnamon, some coriander. Backed up by a grainy wheat note.

T - Starts off with just a light malt sweetness. Very smooth. Midstream starts to show a solid wheat astringency, husky and edgy. Finishes with more of the spice notes, leaving behind an almost curry like coriander note. In general this is a pretty dry beer. Overall this beer is just a bit boring to me.

M - Crisp from the carbonation, but otherwise the body is pretty thin. Not much for cling to the tongue.

D - Very drinkable - a very good summer refreshing beer. Nice on a hot day - which today is not - but good nonetheless. ABV sets this beer up for sessioning.

3.09/5  rDev -8%

Chilled can into a plastic glass. Served on the plane from Dublin to Atlanta.

A: Pours a cloudy straw color with a billowy off-white head that leaves sticky lacing down the sides of the (sigh) plastic cup.

S: Orange peel, lemon rind, and apricot. The reviewer below me claims Fruity Pebbles -- ok, I could concede that, too. I didn't get coriander in the smell.

T: Dominated by the citrus flavors picked up in the nose. The mid-taste showed a rough grain component, and the finish contained a hint of coriander. And -- well, ok, it was kind of Fruity Pebbles-like.

M: Light-bodied, high carbonation, and a relatively crisp and clean finish.

D: Granted, the cost (free) couldn't be beaten, but I wound up having 4 of these over the 10-hour flight. Surprisingly enjoyable. It's not the best wit I've ever had, but it filled a niche.

4.04/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

A- poured a cloudy straw color. nice white two finger head with light to medium lacing.

S- fruity pebbles!!!!

T- like a nice solid (not great or amazing) wheat beer but with this fruity pebble taste going on.

M- light bodied. i would say medium carbonation but i have had a couple that were alil too high for my liking.

D- a six could get taken down no problem.

Overall- this is my favorite commercial brew. if a place has nothing but this i wouldn't hesitate to grab this for a second.

2.25/5  rDev -33%

Drank from 12 oz. Bottle:

A: Look is slightly hazy; very pale and carbonated. Nothing unusual for the style.

S: Smells of citrus; nothing spectacular.

T: It tastes like fruity pebbles in a glass; there is no form of hops or actual beer taste that is noticeable in the brew. For a juice product this is good, but if you want an actual beer you'll be disappointed.

M: Mouthfeel is very smooth and drinkable, carbonation is alright.

D: Extremely drinkable.

This tastes pretty good, it just doesn't really taste like beer to me - if you want to drink something mild without any bitterness than this is the beer for you.

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

This isn't much different from the bottle. The head sticks around a bit longer, and I'd say there's a bit less balance and complexity and slightly less hops presence, not that there's much in the bottle per se. Other than that, I'd say the drinkability remains almost as high and the nice mix of smoothness and crispness remains.

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured a pale pumpkin orange with 1.5-2 fingers white head sitting on top. Citrus and a little bit of coriander in the smell. Honestly, fruity pebbles comes to mind instantly. Taste is more of that citrus; more fruity pebbles. Some lemon zest. Honestly, for a witbier, I don't really get that much wheat. Some bubbly effervescense, but kind of watery. Besides for the lack of wheat for a witbier, Sunset Wheat is very drinkable; nice on a warm summer night.

3.35/5  rDev -0.3%

Draft at a bar in Winston-Salem, NC where there weren't too many options and I wanted to try something new. I suddenly had a hankering for a sweet kids' breakfast cereal, and something mysteriously drew me to this beer.

The sequence that occurred upon ordering this beer was so intense that I think I'll remember it the rest of my life. Must have only been five seconds but it felt like an eternity. The bartender grabbed an orange slice and moved it toward the rim of the glass. I yelled, "NOOO!!!" and made a break for the bar, knocking over an old lady with a walker and then jumping and sliding across the bar, knocking triple hops brewed Miller Lites all over a gang of 6'6" 300lb bikers who happened to be sitting at the bar. I grabbed the orange out of her hand and grabbed my Sunset Wheat with the other. The appearance of the beer was a hazy light golden-orange-yellow color with a white head that dissipated rather quickly.

While still sliding, I simultaneously threw the orange slice into the eye of one of the angry bikers to distract him and took a whiff of the beer, thinking to myself, "Wow, this really smells like Fruity Pebbles." I also picked up a little orange, lemon, and wheat.

While taking my first sip of the beer, another one of the bikers stood up and ran at me. I quickly dispatched him with a flying Chuck Norris style roundhouse kick, while enjoying the flavor, which was somewhat similar to the aroma, dominated by Fruity Pebbles, but also having rough wheat, spices, and orange. I yelled out, "What is this? Did Fred Flintstone brew this shit?" Looks like Leinie's (MillerCoors) took the term "cereal grains" a little too literally. I'm looking forward to their Count Chocula beer.

The palate was light and crisp, fairly refreshing. Sort of hit the spot after a few seconds of intense bar fighting.

Well, there's nothing like preventing an orange slice from tarnishing your beer to get your adrenaline pumping. The rush from the Fruity Pebble sweetness also fires you up at first, but unfortunately subsides rather quickly. Eventually you lose your superhuman powers and snap back into reality. This is exactly what happened. The old lady got up and yelled, "Get him! He's drinking one of those fruity wheat beers! That's not even triple hops brewed, doesn't taste cold like the Rockies, and it doesn't have drinkability like Bud Light does!" Fortunately they were wrong about the last part - this beer was pretty drinkable, although the sweetness of the Fruity Pebbles detracts from that a little. As she and the biker gang approached me, I downed it quickly and got out of there, hopping into a friend's getaway car that was conveniently waiting outside the bar.

Well, the beer is not too exciting overall, although it is a bit different from others in the style in that it tastes exactly like Fruity Pebbles. If you ever order this though, I highly recommend that you save yourself the trouble and tell them you don't want an orange slice at the get-go.

4.42/5  rDev +31.5%

Appearance: Orange, cloudy hue with nice head.

Smell: citrus, lightly sweet, wheat, hint of fig/raisin

Taste: balance of sweet with light amount of wheat and hops

Mouthfeel: medium body, little aftertaste

Drinkability: high, this is one of my standard Summer beers. It is better than Bud/Miller/Coors and is usually available in most places. One can have many on a hot summer day and not feel full, but also have nice flavor too.

Solid, mainstream witbier/hefeweizen.

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Typical bottle to glass combination. Pours a light colored, slightly orange hue with a decent amount of quick white foam.

Smells/tastes wheaty and citrussy. Mild tart finish, reminiscent of lemons. Overall a fairly subdued taste.

Slightly watery in the mouthfeel.

A tasty enough beer, good drinkability. Well done.

4.39/5  rDev +30.7%

poured into tumbler
A: nice orange hu with yeast sediment and white fluffy head
S: citris comes through first and the sweetness of the wheat malt almost honey like
T: starts off nice and tart and citrisy nice fruity easters
M: medium body chrispy finish and very sweet mmm
D: high drinkability cause its good

3.06/5  rDev -8.9%

I got this beer on an international Delta flight with my dinner and was pleasantly surprised, especially since I had it twice before on tap at a local bar and did not like it at all. As a matter of fact, I thought it was outright disgusting when I had it on tap locally. Not so this can.

A - I poured it in my small plastic cup and you could immediately see the nice sight of a wit beer. Left a nice head on both pours.

S - A somewhat typical wit beer, the hint of fruit (blueberry) cannot be missed. Some other notes were there, too, but I was unable to identify something specific.

T - Smooth wit beer, not spicy, hint of berries. Balanced for sure!

M - Somewhat refreshing, definitely no hint of anything but wit beer style characteristics. No dry finish or other unbalanced or bitter notes.

D - I can see this a beer for warm days and even more for people who are not too much into hoppy beers, stouts, etc.

Overall I was quite surprised by this experience, especially since I really hated it the first two times I tried it. Not that I would run to a store and buy it, but when I have the next time the choice between Heineken, BMC and this one - I will certainly take the Sunset Wheat again.

4.3/5  rDev +28%

Appearance - bright and cloudy with a nice white head.
Smell - this is definitely a candy beer. It has a nice citrus smell to it is very inviting.
Taste/ Mouthfeel - this taste is not for everyone, even though every brewery is doing some form of this style of beer, but I like it. It is clean, refreshing and full of tons of sweet flavors. It's not a heffe, but a hybrid of sorts that with the power of Miller, is targeting a certain set of folks. I like it and probably 4 out of 5 of my friends can't stand it, but the Mikes Hard Lemonade drinker liked it, go figure.
Drinkability - after drinking the high booze double IPA's and many euro lagers, this is a nice change of pace, I have probably gone through a few cases on my own of this already this year, good stuff on a Saturday afternoon, not so much at the pub.

3.59/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured this beer with the production of a fair amount of foam. It slowly reduced down to a slight amount of lacing. The aroma of sweet hops, wheat, and cloves greats the nose. As the taste follows suit in the sweeter malt with a well balance of hops. The tastebuds pick up on cloves, slight coriander taste and a wheat adjunct. Overall a good beer for the summer season.

2.82/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours nicely, with a good wheat beer appearance: hazy orange, creamy little head. Aroma is not so good: lemon detergent.

Flavor is similar to the aroma but not quite as bad. There is some breadiness, but the artificial lemon is still there. I can see how some people think this beer is refreshing, but I'd reach for an unflavored hefeweizen or pilsner any day over this stuff.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

This is my first time trying this beer, and I find I like it a lot more than others here. Looks beautiful--unfiltered and golden with a half-inch head (which quickly dissolves). Smells sweeter than it tastes. Smells strongly of citrus, tastes of citrus and spices. Bites the tongue just a bit--it's not overly carbonated, but maybe a little too carbonated for its flavors. Good for drinking on a warm day--it's refreshing. Too heavy to have more than a few though.

3.81/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From bottle into S.A. glass. Pours a dark golden color and cloudy with moderate white head. Head mostly diminishes. Aroma of spices and fruit. Wheat, orange, pepper?, lemon, coriander. Good summer wheat beer in my opinion. Easy to drink but not watery at all, very flavorful throughout. Lacing slightly lingers. Good, smooth finish. A good pick as a summer session beer and would work well with guests to a BBQ - Cheers to Leiney!

3.33/5  rDev -0.9%

Bought for the lady friend, reviewed for fun.

Appearance - A dark, cloudy near gold color. Sort of hay colored. Stark white head leaves the scene quickly. No lacing.

Smell - Like a lemon drop. Very sweet lemon. A hint of spice. Just too sweet. Very strong aroma. A little wet blanket as well.

Taste - Follows the taste. It's got a lot of lemon tartness. But the sweetness behind it all is a little much. Balanced with some spiciness. It mellows out in the middle, which is nice. Some real bready malt goodness.

Mouthfeel - Good body on this one. Nice and crisp, good carbonation. Not too thin.

Drinkability - Would be great if not for all the sweet. A couple and my stomach would churn.

This is a nice, refreshing summer bev. It's nice and light, but a little less intense lemon would be great. It's just not balanced enough. But a nice beer on a hot day.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company