Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +11%

A - Thick hazy yellowish orange with a foamy fuzzy head.

S - Fruity, with large orange scents. Wheat backbone has bits of banana and some other fruits. Very fruity.

T/M - Just as fruity as it smells. Huge orange flavor that powers over everything else. Good thing it's a pleasant taste. No metallic flavor that i'm used to from Lienies, so nothing detracts from the rest of the taste. Soft wheat flavor with some banana and blueberries if you really really look for them. Feels light and frothy.

D - Very very drinkable. Orange feels more subdued with each sip, which is a good thing, and low alcohol means I could drink this all night.

4.63/5  rDev +37.8%

A favorite of mine, pours a thick head, has an exceptional golden color, great citrusy smell and taste. Very easy to drink several, has a great summer outdoors appeal. Good stuff all around. Even better on tap. A great readily available, go to beer, very representative of a good Sunset Wheat.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Pours a murky yellow green. Less than one finger head. No lacing at all.

S- Wheat, fruity, banana, orange, some berries. Sweet smelling.

T- Fruity taste. Some wheat. Reminds me of fruit cocktail or fruit salad. Lemon rind finish.

M- Lighter bodied. Quite a bit of carbonation on the tongue.

D- Really pretty drinkable. Great summer beer. Refreshing, fruity and light.

3.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured a cloudy yellow/apricot color with a good full fluffy head and nice sticky lace.

Very refreshing nose, sweet citrus, blueberries, and coriander. The wheat aroma surfaces as it warms (leine recommends you serve it well chilled).

Taste was good, but maybe seemed a bit too much like artificial pie filling or something. Flavors were blueberry, crisp citrus, lime, and a dash of coriander backed by a somewhat subtly yeasty finish.

Body was thin-medium, never seemed watery and the carbonation was perfect to aid in refreshment and lightness. Nice fizzyness throughout and a slightly dry finish.

Very refreshing beer, light and flavorful, sessionable on the dock/porch. I drank it on a warm day and an empty stomach, so it went down quick.

4.2/5  rDev +25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Brownish yellow color that is cloudy to the point of almost being opaque. Light prickle and a light froth head. Fruity nose almost like a raspberry or blueberry character. Smooth sweet attack with hints of blueberry. The flavor is clean and refreshing although dominated by sweet fruity sensations. The fruit is lighter in the flavor than in the nose, but it still is omnipresent. The aforementioned berries are seemingly cut by a citrus type presence. Clean finish and a fresh aftertaste. Very nice even though I didn't anticipate the fruit.

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Quite hazy and yellow/gold with a fairly decent white head.

S: Lots of citrus going on here. Mostly lemon with a bit of spiciness.

T: Wheat malt comes through underneath the fresh lemon flavor.

M: Fairly thin, although quite a bit thicker than the typical adjunct lager.

D: A little bit too sweet to be really drinkable, but a decent cool-me-off beer in the summer.

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%

poured hazy dark yellow into a pint glass. no head to speak of. looks like dirty dish water but

smell is blueberries and a funky wheat nose. orange and lemon peel.

Taste is overpowering blueberries and wheat. a lingering yeast quality in the background. One dimensional and bland but goes well after a hot lawn mowing afternoon.

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a pint glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - Very nice golden amber with a pretty fluffy head that stayed well and left good lacing.

S - Candied orange and wheat. Not much else.

T - Very citric with a good bit of sweetness. Not bad, but tastes slightly artificial. Another reviewer mentioned Fruity pebbles; I understand what their talking about with its almost candy-like sweetness. Finishes clean, no aftertaste.

M - Light but not watery, with a decent bit of carbonation.

D - Very drinkable. Goes down easy and has modest ABV. Easily sessionable if you like sweeter wheat beers.

Overall - Kind of enigmatic. It's certainly not bad, but the flavors don't come off as very natural. My cousin loved it when he had it on draft, and he continues to like the bottled version. I'll definitely drink it, but I probably would not buy it at all if my cousin wasn't a fan of it.

2.48/5  rDev -26.2%

I've heard the legend of "Liquid Fruity Pebbles" but the bottle says nothing other than "Beer with Natural Flavors"

A - Pours a hazy orange that literally looks like orange juice. A 2+ finger lumpy white head appears with respectable lacing becoming apparent.

S - Even as the beer is being poured I am bombarded by the blast of sweet, fake blueberries this beer brings to the table.

T - Upon first sip blueberries completely dominate the taste buds. Very sweet. There's no way actual blueberries are used in this beer, it has got to be straight concentrate. Blueberries even dance around your mouth after you swallow. However the more you drink the more you get used to the blueberries and begin to pick up the other flavors. Orange becomes prevalent and pretty much all citrus fruits start to come out. Overall it's just artificial blueberries with a hint of wheat.

M - Light and slick. Fairly smooth.

D - This "beer" goes down easy at first but after two of these I could see the sweet fruitiness starting to become nauseating. It's a refreshing fruit flavored beverage on its own that could be easily chuggable, but then again it's like you're drinking juice.

Final Thoughts: This beer has the rep of being called "Liquid Fruity Pebbles" and the nickname is well earned.

3.63/5  rDev +8%

a cloudy dark pineapple-orange color with a hints of brown and red in its deep middle. a fluffy white head that leaves a nice lacing.

a really enjoyed the smell on this one, citrus base with a strong, deep array of spice that fills the nose.

good taste, however just a little too orangey for me. the orange is definitely overpowering the taste hear, furthermore all of the spice you get in the nose almost seem non-existent on the palate. nonetheless, it is still an above-average tasting selection.

this is an excellent witbier selection, and i without a doubt would have another on a nice spring day. a female friend of mine really enjoyed it as well.

2.63/5  rDev -21.7%

Picked this up in mixed of spring issue Witbiers - have to say I'm sorry that I included this one.

Poured from a bottle into a standard US pint. Pours a hazy gold with a think head and no lacing at all.

Smell is a little citrus and a heavy malt presence.

Taste is just odd, and not at all on point for the style. Some citrus and a heavy malt hits you right in the face with a blueberry aftertaste. Odd and to me, not pleasant.

Mouthfeel is ok, a little oily on the finish and not crisp at all.

Drinkability for me is non existent, I had my hands full getting through just the one.

4.03/5  rDev +19.9%

Smell is ok, not as floral as i would have expected. But the taste is great for a warm day out side with a buddy and the barbecue going. However, for a flavored beer, I found it surprisingly delicious. I will be drinking this again. Very light mouth feel is great for a light beer in the middle of the day.

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours a hazy lemon gold. Thin head dissipates to a film fairly quickly.

Smells of wheat and a bit of honey. Maybe a hint of citrus.

Tastes citrusy and light. A little bit of malt comes through.

Carbonation comes through and adds a bitt of bubbliness on the way down. Otherwise relatively full and smooth.

An okay beer, easy to drink, but I've had better witbiers before.

2.85/5  rDev -15.2%

It pours an light orange with a slight wheaty head. There was something abnormally sweet about this one. It tasted very cornish or wheatish, but there was a major artificial sweet taste going on. It went down smooth enough for a wheat beer, but it was just a little off and I could only stomach about 2 of the 6 pack.

1.7/5  rDev -49.4%

Pours a cloudy off yellow with a nice head.

Has a citrus aroma.

If you've ever drank the milk after eating a bowl of fruity pebbles... spot on i guess maybe add a little carbonation. Sick, I kept drinking just because I was so intrigued at how much it actually tastes like fruity pebbles.

If you can stomach through more than one of these (would say less but I guess I did get one down just because I was so intrigued) I am impressed.

3.63/5  rDev +8%

Poured cloudy gold with one finger of white head. Some lacings. Aroma is citrus. Taste is citrus lemon maybe a touch of orange. Sweet malts and maybe a bit of sugar. Pretty refreshing if served cold on a hot day. Very sessionable if the lemonade flavors suit your fancy.

3.7/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz brown bottle with, no freshness date.

A- I picked up a bottle after work (I work at a bar), did not want to dirty a glass so I had it in the bottle.

S- Well the smells reminds me of a citrus candle.

T&M- Has a light wheat touch, but crisp with a decent body. A little tangy bitterness, but not too much for this type of beer. Reminds me of a bowl of Fruit Loops with a lot of the yellow ones. Finishes with a lemonade wheat duo.

D- Well it's a white ale in thought, but I would just call it a wheat ale with a fruit flavor. Not bad cause it goes with the style, and something that would go well with some nice lemon pepper roasted chicken.

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%

I had wanted to try this beer for a long time ever since I heard that it tasted like "fruity pebbles." I wasn't expecting a smirnoff ice though. I love wheat beers, and they're great with a little flavor added.
The golden appearance impressed me. It looked very tasty. The smell was nice but as aromatic as I was expecting. I was expecting a robust fruity smell, but it was decent at best. The taste was good, but not as good as I expected it to be. Perhaps the way it felt affected the way it tasted. It was little too light, too watery for me. Not too bad, but I'd prefer it to be a little richer.
Overall, this was a tasty beer, drinks well and I will probably buy it again sometime.

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

12 oz. bottle tried 1 Jun 2007.

Large white-yellow head. Cloudy brownish yellow color. Smells very sweet, pineapple, mango and blueberry. Lots of blueberry flavor throughout. Some wheatiness along with some other fruitiness but the blueberry dominates. Medium body, slight alcohol. Not really a wit in my estimation.

Decent thirst quencher but more than a couple might get cloying.

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%

I poured the beer into a glass issued by the airlines the head was white with little lacing on the glass. It poured a yellow orange color with a decent head.

The smell to me was fresh cut hay with notes of bannana, honey and corriander.

The taste was a little on the citrus side orange peel.Slightly fruity.

The mouthfeel was light and the carbonation was small bubbles.

The overall drinkabily was good I could drink a few of these while mowing the grass. Definately a summer beer, refreshing.

I don't have any notes for this beer and haven't had it in awhile, so I will update this review when/if I have this beer again.

This beer has a solid wheat beer base, but it is not a good representation of a Witbier because of the overly fruitiness and sweetness. Other reviews talk about cereal and citrus-like flavors, but it is very obvious that that there is a dominate berry flavor that overshadows the malts, citrus, and every other flavor in this beer. The thick blueberry/blackberry syrupy flavor to this beer parallels the syrupy cherry flavor of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. If you like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, you will love this. If you don't, then stay away.

The blackberry flavor is severely out of balance with the other subtle flavors of this beer, which is too bad. This is a solid beer overall, and can be very refreshing with the fruitiness. I just wish the blackberry flavor was more subtle and natural.

2.58/5  rDev -23.2%

Appearance:
Cloudy, light-orange colored brew with a white frothy one-finger head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell:
Very citrusy. Mainly lemon and orange. Some hops comes through...but not a ton.

Taste:
Tastes like it smells. The citrus is bit too strong for my taste buds. I'd picture citrus of that brightness to come from a coctail drink.

Mouthfeel:
A little crisp, but still smooth. Kinda off for this type of beer. Not a ton of life.

Drinkability:
Very drinkable as long as you can stand strong lemon in your beers... probably goes will with a light summer lunch. This may become gross after 3 or so.

This is a niche beer. Overall, I recommend it to fans of fruity, summery beers and ciders, but definitely not recommeneded to anyone else.

2.17/5  rDev -35.4%

12oz bottle into a Leinenkugel's SW glass.

A- LSW pours a hazy subdued orange color with an evolving white head that dwindles down into a 1/2 inch cap. A cloudy witbier with spots of yellow up to light.

S- First scent I got was a nice wheat sense with orange and other citrus. Blueberry as well. I than remembered other reviews including a cereal like smell and instantly that's all I got from this. Not very inviting.

T- As soon as I picked up the cereal like scent It delved into the taste as well and it resembled fruit loops to me personally. Not really what i'm looking for in a beer.

M- Pretty much medium bodied with alot of carbonation. A sweetness all around which is off putting to me.

D- I drank the rest of this quickly to get it over with and I hate to waste. I won't be going for this again.

3.93/5  rDev +17%

Poured a 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

The beer poured a nice cloudy, yellow. A nice 1/2 finger head appeared after pour, and a decent but almost champagne consistency of carbonation floated to the top.

The beer had heavy notes of citrus most notably lemon. Definitely the beer provided a sweet aroma that suggested a more fruity experience than one of the name might suggest.

The taste provided is wonderful. A sip provides a light wheat ale flavor that finishes strong with lemon and slight orange. Sometimes the beer has given off the taste of Fruity Pebbles as my friends and I have joked (though honestly if all Fruit Pebbles tasted like this....).

The mouthfeel was very light, which provides this to be a thirst quenching, heat beating beer particularly for the summer (even if you can get it year round). The drinkability rates high on this beer for its light style which is important in a citrus heavy beer such as this.

Final Thoughts - I really dig this beer. It has a unique taste of lemon that gives way to an light drinking wonder. My BBQ beer of choice in the summer time.

3.05/5  rDev -9.2%

I poured my Sunset Wheat into a pint glass. It was a cloudy golden color with maybe a half inch of head. I could smell yeast and citrus, orange and some grapefruit. It has citrus flavors and finishes with anise. It also tastes a bit spicy. It seems drinkable. It is not my favorite, but it went well with a grilled chicken salad.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company