Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,209 | Reviews: 886
4.28/5  rDev +27.4%

A great alternative to your standard light beers!!

Terrific, one-of-a-kind fruity taste with a smell to match. Sweet up front but, in my opinion, very drinkable! I've heard this beer described by many as tasting like fruity pebbles and that's an accurate assessment. I believe, for a few dollars more, a case of this would be ideal to take to your next summer bbq instead of Coors or Miller Lite

3.47/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a cervoise.

Appearance: Nice looking hazy yellow orange, with a small white head that drops to a ring of foam around the glass.

Smell: Smell's like Fruity Pebbles and blueberries. Say what you want, but in my opinion this beer smells amazing and theres nothing else like it.

Taste: Not much to the taste. More Fruity Pebbles and blueberries.

4.12/5  rDev +22.6%

Served in a pint glass at BW3s, I was very impressed with this brew. It poured a light yellow/orange color with a nice 2 finger head. An aroma of orange and spice was very apparent. I had them bring it with no orange slice so I could smell the beer instead of the decorations. The taste followed the smell very sweet with orange and spice being dominant. No bitterness whatsoever. I really liked this beer, great session beer, either alone or with food. Since it's being served about everywhere in the area its become one of my fall back beers when at places without alot of beer choices

3.84/5  rDev +14.3%

4.9% Alcohol by Volume
Color of Head = #F6E79D
Color of Body = #FF9B2E

I was expecting to be harshly brought down from the high I was on from the last Leinenkugel beer with this one, but I am still sitting pretty on my cloud. And you know why? This is a damn good beer. And it smells like freaking blueberries. EXACTLY like freeze dried blueberries. I think there is a little bit of allspice in there, too. You know the Little Debby blueberry pies? It smells like that filling. Very carbonated like the Summer Shandy. This beer is a good deal darker than the last one, bordering on lager territory. It is a little brown, and somehow manages to change colors from light to dark from bottom to top. Noticeably lacking from this frosty beverage is any hint of orange peel, or citrus of any kind. Normally this would be a complaint, but writing a niche blog like this can be a little repetitive at times so a change of pace is nice. This is a pretty sweet beer too. No part of it hits your tongue bitterly. It reminds me A LOT of Sweetwater Blue, which is one of my favorite beers. The blueberry taste is a little overwhelming though, which makes it hard for this poor lil ole beer reviewer to pick out some of the more subtle flavors. Not that I'm that good at tasting to begin with. But, I have the INTERNET to help me! I'll be right back, I'm gonna check out their website real quick and see what they have to say about this wacky beer.

OK, now I'm pissed. They say NOTHING about the blueberry taste. The only thing they mention is the coriander, which I couldn't even taste. Maybe I had just kept the beer in my fridge too damn long. Actually, that's pretty cool. Maybe my refrigerator has magical, taste transforming properties. It's interesting to note that Leinenkugel's website mimics the bottle in its design choices. Those being that it sucks. The loading screen is cool though, it's a glass of beer filling up. And additionally, there is a recipe section that freaking rocks. It's pretty cool to see a good sized company like this show off a little down home cooking. And what's really special is that it seems like that section is on the site not because they thought it would be good branding or pr, but rather because Peg (the recipe master) really wanted to share her knowledge with the world. It reminds me of something my parents would do if given the chance.

The glass is empty now, sadly. I was genuinely surprised by this beer. I thought it was gonna suck hardcore. But while I enjoyed it, I really don't think it was representative of what a true wheat beer should be. The color was wrong, the taste was off, it was very unbalanced (like the Summer Shandy) and the consistency just didn't seem right. Luckily for Leinenkugel though, it tasted pretty damn good.

3.12/5  rDev -7.1%

Draft at Atlanta airport.

Poured a clear orange color with an average frothy white head that lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate sweet wheat aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture. Medium sweet lemonade flavor with a medium sweet finish of moderate duration.

I would recommend this summer beer to a friend.

4.02/5  rDev +19.6%

On tap at Taco Mac in Cumming, GA served by mistake (my brother in law had ordered a Lagunitas Censored and the waitress told the barkeep but he thought that he heard "Sunset" instead of "Censored").

A Yellow brown body with no head but then again I think that the bartender intentionally filled the pint all of the way to the top in some kind of ill fated attempt to "give me all that he can." It meant that I never observed the head as I should have. Served with an orange wedge.

S Grapes, cherries, fruit without being citrusy. I have to say a very inviting smell even if I am not a big fan of fruitty beers.

T Fruitty, abundant tastes abound. I really enjoyed this beer for what it was.

M Light with a bit of moderate. This is a fruitty beer.

D Really good as it goes down like fruit punch.

Notes: I think that it was successful in getting to the point of a nice fruitty wheat.

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

Bottle from Leinie's Explorer Pack (variety box) purchased at BevMo Cypress.

A: Big white head well over an inch tall, dwindles down at a good pace, but some appealing head retention remains after several minutes. Attractively cloudy with typical wheat coloring along the edge of the glass darkening into luscious orange blossoms in the center.

S: Originally I thought I was insane when I finally placed the obscure scent as blueberry. It turns out this was spot-on, so I am relieved. Though this is an artificial smell.

T: Tart blueberry flavoring gets mixed in with any hops presence on my tongue. I say blueberry, as that is the best descriptor I have found, but there is a definite artificial or perhaps spiced aspect to this (which would fit the concept of a witbier). Hint of anise. A flavor that is unique to Sunset Wheat, which I had an intersting time trying to put my finger on. I did not particularly care for said flavor. Near everlasting aftertaste.

M: Witbier with a lager yeast strain with fruit notes that is called "wheat." What? Thick mouthfeel goes beyond all of these categories. Interesting combinations all around, and nothing to protest.

D: Very prominent backend flavor of artificial blueberries. Does this make me want to drink faster or slower? For me this is a sipper beer due to the unique tart, almost spiced fruit. I don't want more than one at a time.

Peculiar flavor destined to be both loved and hated. I had an interesting time with this beer, but didn't find myself loving it. I can see how this may appeal to many, as well as to atypical beer drinkers.

3.79/5  rDev +12.8%

A= A beautiful hazy light amber color. Almost can't see through it because it's so hazy. Thick head when pour directly into glass with a very aggressive pour to release the aroma. Head clears quickly and leaves no lacing
S= Exceptional, I could pick up the aroma right from the bottle. Like everyone else has said it smells like fruity pebbles. Strong but not unpleasant. Very nice strong pleasant smell
T= Odd, not unpleasant but different. It's a tolerable taste for a fruity beer. Tastes just like fruity pebbles to a point, I'm not use to it but it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
M= Clean and crisp. Smooth as a babies bottom
D= Very high if your into fruit beers, I'm not however but it was definitely drinkable too many and I would worry about sugar belly. :(

3.22/5  rDev -4.2%

Fruity pebbles anyone? The next time I have cereal I am going to pour the remaining bottle on it!

Not bad, tastes like fruity pebbles seriously!

it pours a light golden, smells sweet

tastes like...I feel like I have covered this!

the mouthfeel is good, crisp and light

if you like sweet beers this one is drinkable

3.21/5  rDev -4.5%

Catching a mix of Fruity Pebbles (thanks to someone earlier for the perfect description), bubble gum, and raw wheat husk. I could actually smell it when I opened the bottle. A light but not unpleasant perfume to it.

Cloudy pale orange with thin white head that soon dies. Active bubbling and weak lace.

The taste of the initial sip is pounded onto the mouth via the nose. There is just so much scent that it imposes itself. It settles down (or the olfactories just numbed) to the same wheaty artificial fruitiness that the nose got, but with a much sweeter residual. Some spice on the tongue helps clean up the stickiness of the finish. Nice touch there, and it adds to the overall zaniness to this brew. No noticeable alcohol until the last sipsl, and the hop is quite faint.

Overall an interesting drink. Refreshing enough and with plenty of taste. It's not something I plan to buy again soon, but I'll happily work on this six pack...

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat pours a peachish orange that is slightly darker at the top blending into a lighter gradient towards the bottom of the glass. Smells are really pleasant and quite aromatic of an orange citrus like aroma. The taste is mellow with a bitter orange rind like aftertaste. Its not quite as bitter as a rind, but its by no means sweet. Mouthfeel is medium thick with a burning high carbonation. This isn't bad for a wheat beer, but its definitely not great. The orange twist was unique, but it didn't make it stand out as something above the rest. It wasn't bad, but unless I found myself in dire need of an orange like wheat this isn't something I'd look into picking up again.

3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

I was served a pint glass at a rib joint in Freeport, Maine.

A: It poured a bright honey colored body with a moderate white sticky head. The head receded at a moderate rate and left globs of lacing.

S: It was a blend of sweet, ripe bananas and oranges with hints of yeasty white bread and white spices.

T: It rolled sweetly across my tongue with strong flavors of bananas and creamy sweet malts, bready yeast and hints of white pepper and coriander. It finished sweet and left a modest sweet aftertaste.

Ml: It was medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a thick sticky body and a sweet aftertaste.

D: If this is your style this is a decent session brew. It went well with my ribs. The sweetness went well with the tangy ribs.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Brigh, clear gold color. Poures a two finger white head with fari retention. Laces evenly; really sticks.

S: Prominent citrus and spices.

T: Coriander and light fruits with a mild spiciness.

M: Medium body. Moderate carbonation. Light, and crips in the mouth.

D: I could drink several and enjoy. A solid Witbier.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Picked up a 6 pack at Kroger, I try to get something different and this was it.

A-Poured into a pint glass, nice head, cloudy golden body

S-Fruity smell with a hint of hops

T-Tastes of fruit, maybe orange? not heavy at all and no bitter after taste

M-Slightly chewy but not thick, went down pretty smooth

D-With the 4.6 abv I wouldn't chug a sixer but for a summer to fall sipper I really enjoyed the smoothness of this brew. Not everyday but I'd buy this again.

3.7/5  rDev +10.1%

This one pours a cloudy pale orange color topped by a one finger white head. The head falls to a thin crown but does not leave much in the way of lacing.

Aroma is of peach and apple and other fruits.

The taste is fairly simple but tasty, apple pie, sweet fruits, orange and spiced apple.

The mouthfeel is light and refreshing and this one is an easy drinker.

3.87/5  rDev +15.2%

This is one of my favorite summer beers. Pours a hazy golden color with a citrusy and fruity aroma with a distinct blueberry and lemon note similar to Sweetwater's Blue. This one is hard to beat for a beer to take out on the boat, and girls love it too.

2.43/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours a completely hazed golden color with a fizzy off-white head. Head settles to a pretty good lace, leaves a touch of stick here and there.

Smell is fruity and weird. Not till I read the description here on the site did it occur to me that it's blueberry. Eh.

The smell was weird but not really offensive - the taste is close to offensive. Sharp, astringent fruity flavor starts off, with some sweetness and lemon zest. There is some wheat and a bit of grain through the finish, and then more bluleberry. Seems to be a bit of musty yeast and spice, too. I don't care for this.

No thank you. I will not have another.

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

A - One finger of white head settles slowly and leaves a bit of lace. The body is hazy and pale gold in color.

S - A nice note of spicy wheat, clove and oranges.

T - A big orange peel note up front, along with banana, clove, and spicy wheat. Mild hop presence with low bitterness in the finish.

M - Moderately thick body, medium carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Quite drinkable and more flavorful than I expected as well. The yeast character is very nice, while the spices are restrained, but bold enough to do their job.

3.97/5  rDev +18.2%

Lienenkugel's Sunset Wheat - JPH
Draft at JP Henley's, St. Aug FL, 10/4/08 Ofest
A 4.0 = cloudy citrus white, serve with an orange wedge, and it looks purdy
S 4.5 citrus with hints of wheat and blueberry
T 4.0 citrus with hints of wheat and blueberry
MF 2.5 slightly tart and semi watery, maybe it's cause it is on tap???
D 4.0, I like this stuff, but prefer it out of bottle for a consistency's sake. If there is draft around, this may not be my top pick.

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

This is a good beer for summer enjoyment. It is easy to drink and refreshing. It has a beautiful cloudy yellow color when poured into a glass. It has a strong citric smell and taste that I usually am not the biggest fan of but in this case it is not bad at all. All in all this is a refreshing drink great for summer days. I would drink it again.

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance: Yellow and cloudy, nice little head that stays for a bit. Decent retention, but not big and fluffy. Looks good

Aroma: Coriander seems to be apparent here, along with the citrus and lemon notes. Smells like a basic wit, except the balance is thrown off a little with more spicing. Not a bad feature, I'm just pointing it out.

Taste: Spices and citrus come through well. Crisp flavor as well, and the lemon also shows up.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and goes down well. Light, as with most wits, but no creamy mouthfeel I get from many other wits.

Drinkability: Fairly high, crisp and refreshing.

**Update...I had this again recently. It reminds me of corn flakes topped with blueberries. There is that cereal, I think Post makes it? Called Blueberry Morning. This is what it tastes like.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a 6 pack at Total Wine in mid-August for $5.99.

Brew poured a cloudy light amber with a nice head initially. There is a lot of unfiltered yeast visable. Nose is light lemon grass. Taste is a pretty healthy dose of lemongrass and blueberry. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and decently carbonated. Overall drinkability is pretty good. It is a bit too sweet for my tastes and not overly complex yet not too bad overall as it is pretty refreshing.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Thanks to Moxley for this one.
Poured from bottle to Pilsner glass a Cloudy honey golden color with two inches of head that settled to a half inch that remained with heavy lacing. Smells like a sweet lemony wheat bread, if such a thing existed. Taste was a mild wheat flavor with lemon citrus and some other sweetness, that I learned when typing this review was blueberry. Was a bit thinner than I expected almost watered down considering the nose. Had mild carbonation and was a nice summer treat. Very drinkable but leaves a bit of wanting in the finish and feel.

3.77/5  rDev +12.2%

This came out at a local grocery store out of nowhere so gave it a whirl. Pretty good I must say, pours a very cloudy golden color. Has a good amount of fruit taste to it, a lot more so than the average Wit, but I think it works well. I see some people thought it was overbearing but I didn't think so at all... a pretty solid beer right here.

3.97/5  rDev +18.2%

Received in beer trade at work.

I thought this was ok - I like the cloudy texture and spiced taste better than the typical "beer" taste I associate with other types of beer. This beer could have more spices and I would have enjoyed it more.

If I really want something in the same vein, I prefer the Hoegaarden Original White Ale at the time of this writing.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company