Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,209 | Reviews: 886
3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

App - rich gold color, cloudy like apple cider. Decent sized white head, creamy and good retention. A bit dark for a wit?

Smell - an orange citrus smell with spice. licorice. Spice aroma a bit overwhelming.

Taste - wheat malt sweet, with a bit of spicy bubble gum flavor. Licorice from the smell is evident in the flavor.

MF - light/medium body and moderately high carbonation. No astringency.

D'ability - Level of spice cuts down on drinkability a bit, but better than Blue Moon and some other examples. I've definitely pounded my bottle while writing this review.

3.44/5  rDev +2.4%

Got this beer on tap at a local pub. Normally don't drink fruit beer but gave it a whirl.

Came out of the tap i foggy golden yellow/orange color, nice 1 finger head that faded quickly.

Smelled heavy of blueberries and orange peel. This heavy fruit smell really masked the scent of the wheat, but it still had a little spicy undertone.

Taste just like it smells, heavy orange and blueberry upfront ending with a spicy wheat that quickly fades to the after taste of sugar. Like you just ate some candy.

Felt good going down and had perfect carbonation.

Could not drink more than one of these, way too sweet.

2.83/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a murky, light reddish-orange color with very thin fluffy white head.

Very potent blueberry smell, not much else.

Sweet blueberry taste, some citrus and a little yeast, very watery finish.

Light-bodied, creamy mouthfeel with light carbonation.

Very easy to drink. This beer tasted pretty good at first but the finish was too much like selter water.

1.48/5  rDev -56%

Overpowering orange. Orange. Orange. Orange. Just an all out nasty orange assault on your senses. Only way I'll drink this beer is if it is all someone is offering and I don't wish to insult them. The orange is just way too strong and dominating. I can't believe that I see this stuff for sale everywhere I go. I'm totally baffled how anyone can drink more than one at a time. Avoid this unless you really like over the top orange/citrus type beverages.

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this on tap at JP Looney's in Greensboro. Funnily enough, I ordered a Sam Adam's Summer Ale, but having Sunset Wheat before, I knew exactly what I'd been served. No biggie, I'd actually planned on ordering a Sunset Wheat next.

A - Hazy golden color, with a 1-2 finger head. Moderate retention, and some lacing.

S - Honey and berries, with an earthy wheat aroma underneath.

T - Lager-like with a very pronounced honey character. Berries (blueberries, I believe?) shine through beginning mid-palate. The earthy wheat twang is present throughout, but I don't think it goes particularly well with the honey or berry flavor.

M - Moderate to high carbonation, and teetering on the line of thin and watery. Decent for what it is.

D - This stuff is so damn sweet that it's difficult to even make it through one. Initially it's excellent, but I couldn't sip this all night despite the light body.

4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

This was my gateway beer that opened my eyes to the plethora of delicious brews out there, so it will always hold a special place with me. I decided to have this again tonight and thought it should be my first review on this site. It pours a nice golden color with a fruity smell and a taste unlike any other beer I've had. It's citrusy and reminds me of Fruity Pebbles (which helped get me away from the usual macro lagers). This remains one of my go-to beers, but it is pretty sweet and thus I have trouble drinking more than 2 or 3 at a time. However, this is a great beer to give to a friend willing to try something new!

3.82/5  rDev +13.7%

On tap at Buffalo Wild Wings in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. Just about the best thing they have on tap... sadly.

A- a cloudy dark gold color, served with no head.

S- Smells like bananas. Is this really suppose to be a witbier? Still, I like the smell of bananas I guess.

T- Tastes exactly like banana nut bread. Nothing like a witbier should taste like but in the end you gotta rate how you like the taste as well, and well, I like banana nut bread.

M/D- I could actually drink a few of these. It actually tastes good. Who doesn't like banana and nuts? But still it's almost like a fruit beer, it doesn't really fit a real style except you can tell it contains some wheat.

2.59/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

An ok beer for sure, but not one that I will be rushing out to get again. The pour was nice with a good frothy white head and a nice cloudy golden color. The smell was a bit too sweet for me, it smelt like fresh blueberries with a hint of lime in there. The taste was ok with a bitter citrus flavor up front, followed by a pretty dry aftertaste of blueberries once again. The mouthfeel did not impress me either, it was too frothy. Anyways, try it if you are looking for something new, but there are many better witbier's our there for sure.

4.45/5  rDev +32.4%

Odd that a beer would smell good and taste even better but that's what I found with this brew from Leinenkugels -- a longtime favorite of mine (Original and Northwoods Ale my other favs from this brewery). I purchased a six pack of this brew on a recent visit to Roof Brothers in Paducah KY and of the three six packs I came away with (Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout and Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout), I honestly liked this brew the best. Very Easy to Drink. In fact, I'm on my third after working the second shift on a Tuesday night and enjoy the third bottle as much as the first. I'd rank this brew right up with my other fav's, Bell's Hopslam and Two-Hearted Ale.

3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a cloudy golden straw with a fluffy and sticky white head. Aroma was fruitier then expected, with notes of yeast and spice. Taste follows aroma very closely. Citric fruit up front, namely lemon and orange peel, with lighter notes of both yeast and spice. Light on the palate, and finishes very clean.

Not too complex, but well made. Solid summer beer that may even entice the BMC crowd if it gets hot enough.

3.33/5  rDev -0.9%

Served on-tap in a pint glass. It arrived and was a hazy straw yellow with a light white head. It had a light aroma which was mainly of yeast. The taste was not bad at all, way better than I expected. It had a nice but not great wheat/yeast flavor. Carbonation was about right for the beer. It is not an overly complex beer, but definitely one that I could drink a few of at any setting.

3.79/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into Blue Moon weizen glass

A: Poured hazily into glass, finger of head with little lacing.

S: Interesting smell, quite fruity which is unexpected. I really enjoyed the smell of the brew.

T & M: Taste goes with smell, surprising fruity flavor with wheat texture. I had low expectations with this brew and am very impressed. Mouthfeel fairly weak, doesn't really linger after drinking.

D: Definitely drinkable, the sweetness to the brew might get a bit old after a few but I can definitely see myself putting a few a these back during the summer.

1.46/5  rDev -56.5%

I feel dooped. The package is so inviting! However that is where the fun time ended... The cap twisted off and the fruity aroma hit my nose. I poured my cloudy beer into an imperial pint glass and noticed the lumps of things free floating. I know unfiltered is unfiltered but whoa! A fork may be needed. But always an optimist I began the quaff and felt my tastebuds getting mugged! Fruit explosion! More than should be in any beer! UCK! There was one brief moment when I thought I could taste pepper or maybe corriander but then the fruit overwhelmed it once and for all...

Over all this beer is a major disapointment. I was hot & thirsty. I was looking forward to

3.32/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Cloudy yellow/orange with a inch of fast dropping white head.

S - Eh? Is this a mint beer or something? Also fruity with red berries and a chalky tone.

T/M - Methinks it is a mint beer - that must be the natural flavours. Certainly different tasting. Fairly dry, some wheatiness and a big leafy/minty flavour. Mildly bitter finish and a light spritzy body.

D - Not bad I guess. Odd flavour, and fairly refreshing, but not bad.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from twist off 12oz to standard pint, pours a highly carbonated hazy peachy orange, white foamy head.

Smells heavy of orange peel, wheat, a licorice scent

Taste is sweet, wheaty, orange is extreme like adding a slice of orange pre-built into the bottle, comes off with flavors of black licorice, floral, bitter, fairly sessionable.

mouthfeel is creamy from the heavy carbonation, bitter but smooth

4.32/5  rDev +28.6%

A- Light, yellow/orangish, medium amount of carbonation.

S- It smells like a Hefeweizen with a bucket of oranges dropped in. Very sweet.

T- It tastes very much like it smells. Very orangey/citric. Very sweet but also very nice and crisp. A cross between a fuzzy navel wine cooler and a light beer. (Full disclosure- I very much like fruit beers)

M- Light, perfect for a hot summer day. A medium amount of carbonation that is very lively on your tongue.

D- I can easily see sitting down a drinking a six pack in a couple of hours. Perfect for sitting outside by a fire on a hot day.

3.47/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a murky golden straw color. Had some remnants floating in it, was not sure if this was supposed to be there, obviously, I didn't think it was part of the beer.

S: Lots of yeast smell, with fruity citrus hints.

T: Some grass and citrus mixed together, but light tasting, a decent mixture.

M: Not as light as expected, but leaves a crips refreshing taste.

D: A decent session beer, good for the summer, worth a try, hopefully without the particle floaters.

4.65/5  rDev +38.4%

A - pours murky golden (almost glows) with a thin head. some lacing but not much.

S - fresh and citrusy. Lemony and bright.

T - I may be in the minority but I think the taste here is unique and outstanding. It's part wheat beer, part lager, all unique. Very crisp, fresh taste with a hint of blueberry and coriander.

M - Nicely bubbly. Very fresh.

D - I can and have consumed a 12er in one sitting.

3.77/5  rDev +12.2%

I have to admit I am surprised to be writing this review and more shocked that it will be a positive one.

I'm traditionally not a fan of beers that fall into any of the following categories;

- Wheat
- Sweet
- Fruit flavored.

But I have to report that I think the combo really works here.

A wonderful summer session beer.

Pint came with very little head on it and the lacing was very very thin.

Color was a hazy bright copper that I dare say had a hint of the color of a Sunset. Kudos to their marketing team.

Aroma was fantastic and really screamed fresh, bright and fruity (orange)

Taste is on the sweeter side, but I think very well balanced.

Short sweet burst followed by the fresh Orange burst. The spices really help round out the flavor. The finish seemed like a classic wheat beer and almost provided a subtle bready finish.

Carbonation created an almost effervescent mouthfeel which was quite refreshing.

Something tells me it would be gauche to be caught drinking this before Easter or after Labor day.

Take some to the beach. Nice brew.

3.97/5  rDev +18.2%

Gently rolled this one and poured an airy white head three fingers tall. Golden yellow in color and hazy with flakes and chunks of sediment moving around. Flakes look odd.

S: Coriander, lemon peel, and fresh apricots are aromas lifted up in the foam and easily distinguishable. A roasted wheat aroma is strong too. Fresh citrus hop aroma comes through.

T: Light but zesty wheat flavor coupled with lemon and a coriander spice. What I expected from the aroma. Subtle banana flavor and touch of yeast flavors impart even more citrus. Some blueberry sweetness follows. Sweetness is not overwhelming but balancing.

M: Smooth, medium light body with tight carbonation. No alcohol warmth to this one.

D: Very drinkable warm weather beer for sippin' on the dock or beach or on the porch. Nice flavors are not too boring after a while either. Good balance to this one.

2.43/5  rDev -27.7%

This brewski pours a cloudy golden color and has a fizzy tan head. The nose has citrus fruits, wheat malt and some spice. The taste is a little lighter with mostly wheat. Average body with heavy carbonation. This is one of Leinenkugel's best beers and goes down well.

4.4/5  rDev +31%

Ahhh Leinie's...something about this seems to just epitomize summer in the woods of the upper midwest. On tap it poured frothy, with a nice lacey white head. It dissipates into a clingy whispyness. It smells of grain, coriander, and fruits like lemon, lime, and a bit of orange. The taste is exceptional, and it borders on tasting like Fruity Pebbles cereal, if you can believe it! It has an extremely smooth mouthfeel, with just the right amount of carbonation. If I had a kegerator, this would be a mainstay.

4.14/5  rDev +23.2%

This beer may not always get a good rap with drinkers who are not expecting the "fruity pebble" experience but I found it enjoyable for what it is. First of all this beer accomplishes some good things in the witbier category and does not come through fully in other parts. The appearence does not offer much more than a 1 finger white head that does not last long and leaves little lacing. The smell fills your nose with spice and citrus with the smell of blueberries in the finish. There is still a hint of sweet wheat in this at the core. When tasting a spicey start greets you followed by a sweet citrus and hints of blueberry that trail off into a tart wheat finish. All throughout this beer has a crisp heavy carbonation that somehow still retains a smooth creamy finish. A low alcohol% and crisp/refreshing and smooth experience are enough to draw away from its sweetness that extends more than a traditional wit. Overall I really enjoy this beer.

2.46/5  rDev -26.8%

Got this in a 6 pack from the Grub Mart here in J'ville. 12oz bottle poured into a pint tumbler.

A: A light golden (golden might be a stretch), with a weak head that vanished quickly.

S: Smelled first and foremost like candied fruit extract. Then you get a little of the wheat.

T: Glad I am not the only one that noticed it tasted like fruity pebbles. Wasn't expecting this and it really turned me off. All I could taste was fruity pebbles.

M: Has a creaminess to it that I wasn't expecting after the taste. This is the only redeeming factor of this beer to me.

D: Not for me. Was not expecting a fruity beer and then I got slapped in the face with one. Not impressed and won't drink again.

3.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. The color is golden with a twinge of orange, and is cloudy. The head is a nice soapy white lace, which lasts. The nose is very unique, very fruity and sweet. It reminds me of fruity pebbles. Then ever so faint malt and wheat character in the background. The taste is well balanced and is sweet and fruity, but maintains its beer characteristics. It has a light to medium bodied mouthfeel and is very drinkable.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company