Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
2.89/5  rDev -14%

First off this beer on tap is WAYYY better than bottled. I don't know how a keg can be like 10 times better than the bottle but it was. so ill try and review a bit of them both...

A: light pale goldish with a haziness throughout and a white head that vanishes quickly.

S: wheat and maybe berry/lemon scent

T: Here is where the separation is hands down. On tap it is almost zesty with a berry (blueberry) flavor that doesn't represent this class much at all but when looking past that fact, its pretty good. (and it was on special 23oz for 2 bucks). Bottled thought, it becomes more bland and back of the tongue bitter without the better notes of taste that represented the on tap experience. Unfortunate to say the least

M: creamy and SUPER bubbly. when i poured it from the bottle, I walked away after a good pour with a decent head, and i came back and the thing continuously fizzed and foamed. I have never seen that happen before. crazy

D: Not my favorite by any stretch. Although the draft of this brew is hands down better, it does not make it that much better. Maybe B- for draft

2.33/5  rDev -30.7%

WOW! What a failure for a wheat beer. Blueberry? Come on, who ever tasted a wheat beer that tastes like blueberries? Maybe banana, cloves, and phenols, but not blueberry. I know there are lots of people who like this beer, however, being a wheat beer lover, I can not see this as a brewer's success story. Maybe the Leinenkugel brew masters made sunset wheat overly sweet to attract women who don't like beer's hoppy characteristics. So although this beer wasn't repulsive, I definately would not buy a sixer of it ever again.

3.17/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured into a tulip glass. Hazy unfiltered apple juice color, with an off-white head of about a finger. Quite fizzy and short-lived. No lacing.

Aroma is blueberry pancake batter, with a limey twang.

Flavor is faint blueberry, and there's no real wheat influence that I can taste. The lime is more subdued in the flavor. Distinctly summery, but I don't know if this is distinctly a witbier. Finish is exceedingly watery. If you poured tonic water into a bowl of fruity pebbles, it would taste like this beer.

Mouthfeel is overcarbonated but clean. Not much body here. Easy to drink, refreshing, but boring.

4.01/5  rDev +19.3%

I have had this beer several times, but never really sat to think about it. I drank it this time in a regular pint glass. Had a nice head, hazy golden yellow with some great carbonation.

One thing I picked up this time around with a little help from the beeradvocate article about this beer is the smell of blueberries. I am shocked how I ever could have missed it.

It is a nice light bodied beer with some citrus notes. Very refreshing and pretty smooth.

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Poured a light pale goldish/orange with some haziness and a bright white head that was moderately lasting.

S: On the nose was some soft wheat and an artificial fruitiness.

T: The flavor starts sweet and ends tart with a sour orange finish and some orange candy notes. Overall not a good representation per style and comes off more as a macro-attempt as an entry beer.

M: moderately creamy and over-carbonated.

D: Overall a bland wheat, monotone spicing and lackluster drinking factor.

4.82/5  rDev +43.5%

This is a good example of a fruity witbeir. A light amber in color and slightly cloudy makes it quite average for the witbeir catagory. Holds a decent head retention.

Has a very slight but distinctive fruity nose that is very refreshing.

Has a very appealing blueberry taste with a hint of coriander in the aftertaste.

Feels very smooth and clean in the mouth.

Definitely a favorite among the people I sampled this beer with.

3.48/5  rDev +3.6%

Much better than I expected. Solid wheat beer "look". Hazy dull gold, nice size carbonated head. Head hangs in there a bit. Average wheat beer smell.

Tastes pretty good. Standard (and well done) wheat beer taste up front, astringent, bananas etc. I couldn't identify the second taste and had to look the beer up. Once I knew it was blueberry, I could taste it for myself.

The blueberry really adds to the beer. Makes it seem more complex. The flavors really compliment each other.

Mouthfeel is crisp and about right for this stlye of beer.

Drinkability is good. I could swill a lot of these in the summertime without getting bored with it.

2.08/5  rDev -38.1%

This seems to be a popular type of beer right now - a supposedly "creative" style that tastes like anything but beer. In fact, this one tastes like the smell of citrusy furniture polish.

It's hazy gold with bits floating in it and a small white head that soon dissipates to a thin foamy ring and wisps.

The aroma has a little light grain with but is mostly sweet, perfumy citrus oil with hints of vanilla, candy, orange blossoms and spices. Ultimately, it has the overly perfumy, artificial-seeming, orange quality of citrus-based furniture polish.

The taste is basically the same, but less complex, being lmoast entirely citrus oil. It's tangy and lightly sweet with a faint tartness. I's basically drinkable and not nasy, but it is tiresome.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

A - Cloudy golden hue with a small white head, that did stay with the beer throughout the entire glass.

S - Nice clean nose with hints of citrus and blueberries, aromatic.

T - Nice taste with flavorful additions of blueberry, which paired well with the style. Very much a witbier, and the addition of the subtle blueberry flavor was a welcome addition.

M - Average with thinner mouthfeel

D - To style, this is a very drinkable beer that could translate well for a larger audience. Very drinkable summer style beer that would be refreshing in a variety of situations.

4.09/5  rDev +21.7%

A- Dark hazy straw, small white head.

A- Very fruit smell (blueberries?), slight hint of citrus.

T- Very similar to the aroma. Very fruity taste. Leaves an orange citrus after

M- Light body. Very smooth/creamy. High carbonation.

D- Incredibly refreshing. I remember my first experience with this beer, I loved it. I couldn't put my finger on the fruit at first. I later heard someone refer to it as dryhopping fruity pebbles. That ruined my image of this beer, though I'm sure it was meant to be more of a blueberry taste than of fruity pebbles. If you like more fruit tasting beers give this a try or any other Leinenkugel offering.

3.84/5  rDev +14.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass

A - It poured a very cloudy, darker straw color with surprisingly little head considering this is a wheat beer.

S - The first smell to hit me was a citrus aroma with some relatively strong and pleasant yeast behind.

T - Again, the first taste was citrus with wheat. Another sip brought out a blueberry flavor that becomes more apparent as I drink it. This was better than I anticipated, and better than my first bottle (as well as 4 months older).

M - Nothing outstanding or exciting, but very good all around. A little more wet than I anticipated, but that's a good thing for this type of beer. Some carbonation keeps me from drinking it too fast, allowing me to enjoy it more than I want.

D - All around a pretty good beer. I could definitely drink a couple of these in a night, but would prefer to probably stick to one. It makes an excellent warm-weather beer that I could easily sip on the front porch with some buddies.

3.99/5  rDev +18.8%

This beer is just good. It smells and tastes like Fruity Pebbles. I agree with the VaTech reviewer about the fruitiness of this beer. It is very refreshing. appearance isn't the greatest and not much of a head, but I can drink these all day long. Yummy. I've never had a sunset wheat that tastes like this. Recommended if you are in the mood for something different.

3.35/5  rDev -0.3%

pours a cloudy yellow with a short white head that settled quickly and some very spotty lace. strong orange with a smaller amount of lemon and lime in the nose. taste is same giving it a slightly odd flavor. mouthfeel and carbonation were good. not a beer i would go and look for.

1.81/5  rDev -46.1%

Poured a hazy honey-orange with a one finger head that dissipated quickly. Minimal carbonation and lacing.

Overwhelmed by the essence of an apricot air-freshener. Artificially over-the-top.

Tasted 180 degrees from any Witbier I've ever consumed. Extremely cloying and one-dimensional. Orange cough lozenge-like taste. Where's the wheat?

Flat and thin mouthfeel. Let's hope the sun permanently sets on this one.

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

A> hazy, dark yellow, lively, foamy head with little retention
S>Citrus, a wee bit metallic
T> Salty start, wheaty, spicy finish
M>Foamy, and thin
D> Easy like Sunday morning.
Really not so bad. Better than a whole heck of a lot of American Wheat beers, simply by attempting to have the spice of their German counterparts. Though I didn't rate it so high in many areas, it was pretty drinkable and gone without any grimacing.

4.14/5  rDev +23.2%

THE FRUIT LOOPS OF BEER!!! I love this stuff, nothing else out there tastes anything like it. It doesn't have the best head but you'll forget that as soon as it hits your tongue. The menagerie of fruits and beer blends perfectly into a concoction unlike any other. Definitely a warm weather beer and a definite conversation starter anywhere you go. If you ever see it, buy it!

3.67/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance - Yellow light amber in coloring, with a bit of a haze to provide a thought to an unfiltered offering. Carbonation is moderate feeding a slight head that resolves to a slight ring.

Smell - Didn't really have to "smell" far to catch the main fruity/berry aroma in this offering. Light nose with a good refreshing appeal.

Taste - Citrus abounds in this offering with a slight staw/grass background as well. Lemon presence with a smack of hop (barely) at the end.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation provides a bit of body to this, thankfully it adds somewhat of a more dense feel from a small wheat beer.

Drinkability - Let me preface this by saying I'm looking for a "summer beer" for the 2008 spring/summer season. The first time I had this offering was at a local eatery. I was impressed not from the standpoint of it being a "big bold" beer, but strickly from the perspective of it being a "quenching" beer for the dog days of summer.

I think I found my 2008 summer "lawnmower" beer.

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

This was the only palatable brew from Leinenkugel I've found.

Hazy yellow, big white foam head. Smells of yeast, spices, and citus.

The taste is pleasant, introducing some wheat tones with the characteristic yeast and spice contents. For the price, it's a decent example of the style. A bit watery, though.

It isn't what I'd call an outstanding beer, but then again, I am not a huge fan of wheat beers. As usual, Leinenkugel's delivers a higher quality beer than what you would expect from a mass production.

It has a nice, clean fruity aroma as well as taste. It almost reminds me of Fruity Pebbles, which can be satisfying, but a little disturbing.

3.63/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass and immediately noticed how absolutely AMAZING this beer smelled. It was a huge cirtus-y rush of fruit and coriander mixed with an almost bubble-gum like aroma. The beer itself pours a hazy golden color with a thicker head than the other wheat beers I've been reviewing lately. Looks fairly average and smells tremendous. Very, very fruity. Unfortunately. . .I've never been a fan of fruity type beers, I'm hoping this would prove me wrong.

As far as taste goes, the other reviewers have said it best - it's like drinking the milk after eating a bowl of Fruit Loops. It's far too sweet for my liking to be drinking it as a session beer and tasted a little too fruity for me to ever buy a six pack, but I do understand where witbier fans would LOVE this product. I'm just not a witbier fan, so I have to objectively give this an average rating, I've had better and I've had worse.

Mouthfeel is average. Slight carbonation, not enough to make any noticeable difference in taste, but definitely enough to leave it hopping around in your mouth. No bitterness at all and an excellent seasonal taste.

Drinkability is difficult for me to rate here, because I think this beer is too sweet to be drinking more than one BUT it goes down so easily that drinking more than one isn't much of a problem. There seems to be a bit too much coriander for my liking also and I had that aftertaste lingering in my mouth for a bit.

It really doesn't taste like a beer, which I suppose could be good, but I'm still really, really wavering on this one. I don't suppose I'll be buying this again anytime soon, but I could see myself drinking it once in a while. All in all, a slightly above average beer. . .but only in small doses.

3.97/5  rDev +18.2%

A: Hazy, typical yellow, pillowy head.

S: fruits, cloves, citrus

T: Very bold spice/fruit taste. Pleasant. Lemon, orange, clove.

M: A bit sweet, but nice on the back end. Finished clean.

D: Easy to have more than one, but, might be too sweet for a session beer for me. I will buy again.

2.33/5  rDev -30.7%

i like most of the beers from Leiney. this one was too fruity for my tastes. looked good with good carbonation and head. had some lace but not a lot (i think this was hurt by the glass). while i think this is a quality beer it was just too fruity and citrussy (is that a word?) for my taste.

giblet

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a cloudy, hazy golden color. Good amount of head that settles slowly.

S- I'm picking up a lot of citrus on this one. Mainly orange and lemon then maybe a little bit of wheat or ceral smell.

T- Coriander jumps out at me here along with the lemon and orange flavours here. Very nice and balanced here. I like the taste.

M- Pretty bold for this style of beer but feels nice. Nice carbonation goes down easy.

D- Very easy to drink. Can easliy put these down. Don't really care for the orange slice they put in my glass. Put overall nice and easy a good fun brew. I really enjoyed this one different but also very good and nice.

3.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A light, golden color with some cloudiness with minimal head and some lacing down the glass. A tart citrus smell mixed with lighter fruits like berry and even a hint of tropical fruits. The taste is similiar to the smell with the yeast/wheat making for a pale but enjoyable and smooth brew. There is minimal spicing in this beer, which complemented it. A nice beer to have on tap, but for the witbier/wheat beer drinker there are better offerings.

3.33/5  rDev -0.9%

The beer pours a cloudy dark yellow with a fluffy cap of foam that left a small amount of lacing down the glass. Strong berries, anise and grapefruit were a surprise in the aroma. The flavor is somewhat similar with sweet berries and tangy lemon, the wheat influence is also noticeable. The beer is light on the palate and slightly carbonated. The fruitiness of the beer was a bit more than I expected, it is almost reminiscent of fruity candy.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company