Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
laughatdanger11

3.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Appearance - Beautiful colored with a mandarin orange haze. Very enticing. Nice two inch head that subsides after a few moments.

Smell - Earthy. Wheat. Orange. Blueberry?

Taste - Wow. Oranges. Low hop bitterness let the orange shine through carried by the wheat. Malty sweetness compliments tartness. As this beer warms the orange flavor is more pronounced. Last sips leave your mouth puckering for more. Damn. This beer tastes good. Successful brew.

Mouth feel - Very nice, healthy body. Well rounded.

Drinkability - Average. Delicious. A little filling. I can't session this beer, but it was a wonderful treat. Very enjoyable.

04-29-2007 01:34:45 | More by laughatdanger11
StarSAELS

Georgia

3.7/5  rDev +10.4%

A: Totally opaque, brownish golden, like a rich vegetable stock or golden mushroom soup. Two-finger whitish head with tiny bubbles reduces to a thin filmy head that stays around till the very end. Streaky, clumpy lacing.

S: Citrusy, kinda grapefruity, a little orangey, and a little bit of an herbal scent.

T: Citrusy, a little hoppy. Malts appear in the finish and aftertaste once the citrus fades. Spices play a quiet note, but they're there. After warming 10+ degrees, the citrus flavor goes from a light and fruity orange to a more bitter grapefruity flavor. There's a bit o' pepper on the back of your tongue, too, after it warms.

M: Light carbonation, a very fluidic texture. A little thin for a witbier, I think. Warming doesn't help the mouth, either. Seemed like it got thinner... or maybe that was the alcohol kicking in...

D: Much better flavor than Blue Moon, but it takes a way back seat (ie, the very back of the station wagon) to Hoegaarden. This is a nice brew for a summer afternoon—a nice change of pace from the IPAs.

04-28-2007 01:43:48 | More by StarSAELS
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

2.65/5  rDev -20.9%

AP: Hazy orange tint with big carbonation creating a two-finger deep frothy and foamy pure-white fluff-cloud head that displays really good retention; in fact, nearly 1" of the head remained until the last drop.

nose: blueberry>old spice>citrus/lemmon>boysenberry and cream.

Taste: This is basically a light wheat beer that already has the added lemmon in it...it seriously taste's as if someone had crushed up fresh lemmon and threw it in my beer when I wasn't looking. It's a very authentic citrus flavor but it over-rides all of the other potential flavors.

Feel: light bodied, mildly crisp with a decent smooth effect from the ever-lasting head.

DA: Take it easy on the lemmon/lime wedge effect and this one might be pretty drinkable.

04-28-2007 01:02:15 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
Kicksmile67

Kentucky

3.35/5  rDev 0%

A - Murky and bubbly. Not what I expected but pretty good for the price.

S - Very strange herbal smell, with a light hop and maltiness

T - The herbal note returns and is a bit strong, an orange slice lightens the taste and rounds it out

M - Little too much carbonation, bit thin for a witbier

D - The strong herbal notes make it hard to drink fast or more than one. Interesting for any advocate to try.

Overall, good but probably wont buy again. I'd spend the extra to get that cleaner taste.

04-27-2007 03:03:54 | More by Kicksmile67
beerrookie

3.05/5  rDev -9%

Been trying several different wheat beers lately. Many give me a rash, some don't....anything to the further my beer education. Anyways, it smells grassy but has some other scents That I'm not advanced enough to place. I know there has to be lemon and probably pepper but later in the flavor, I encounter something else. ugh! what is it? the label doesn't say, I haven't tasted it in the others. It's driving me nuts. somebody mentioned either blueberry or pamogranate. Not being a fan of either, I could not tell you what the two would taste like, let alone in a beer. If anyone knows, I'd be willing to listen. It looks good. Its not real heavy and I imagine you could throw down a few, if you don't mind the mystery fruit taste at the end. As it warms, that underlying fruit taste increases. okay, I think the guessing is over....I think I have Friggin' blueberries in my beer.

edit: i guess if I had read the BA notes, I would have known it WAS friggin blueberries.

04-26-2007 10:04:30 | More by beerrookie
Dolamite

4.05/5  rDev +20.9%

Rich golden color, and slightly cloudy in appearance. Great head which settles to form a thin foam cap atop the beer. Exceptional lacing, sticking to the sides of the glass throughout the beer. Nose and taste both consist of pronounced citrus, specifically orange, and finishes dry. Light bodied mouth feel makes this an excellent summer brew.

Surprisingly smooth and sweet, this would make for an excellent indoctrination to the world of beer for non-beer drinkers (read: girls) but is still more than enjoyable for more seasoned drinkers.

04-24-2007 23:13:13 | More by Dolamite
SaCkErZ9

4.2/5  rDev +25.4%

Dispensed from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Very cloudy, burnt butter colored beer emerges and is followed by a very nice sized white head of decent retention. Nice lacing down the glass as well.

Aroma is very fruity. I have never had a wheat beer with so much fruit in the nose. Tons of orange and lemon as well as some blueberry and even strawberry.

Taste reflects the fruity nose. Lots of orange and citrus zest. There is some residual sweetness that is a little overboard but certainly doesnt detract from the overall experience.

Decent mouthfeel minus the sticky cloyingness. I could probably polish off a sixer of this with no problem. Perfect summer time beer, as are most wheaties. I say this one shall be in my fridge again in the future.

04-23-2007 20:53:48 | More by SaCkErZ9
puffybh

st: bottle
a:some what cloudy but with a good foam but poured well inside a tall glass no real production date to be seen
t: tasted like sugar pops but with a fruit top
s: some what sweet with a sugar top notes
m: cloudy
d: not a every day drinker but a nice change

04-22-2007 05:32:20 | More by puffybh
Shaggy9356

4.1/5  rDev +22.4%

Silly Rabbit, Leinenkugels is for kids! Pours a nice hazy orange. Quick fading head. Smell reminds me of fresh blueberry puree. This is a bit too sweet to have more than one. Like drinking the milk after a good bowl of fruity cereal. Lingering berry aftertaste. Enjoyable and fun though. Overall an interesting beer worth trying.

04-22-2007 01:30:17 | More by Shaggy9356
chemmie

3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

Seriously, other people have said it, so I will give a quick review.

It smells like and tastes like Trix are for Kids... or Fruity Pebbles.

This isn't a bad thing. It's very drinkable and kind of a fun beer, because of the smell and taste. My wife loves it.

**after further review**
My wife drinks this stuff like water. It is just too sweet for me. Fruity Pebbles was the correct flavor, we've checked the two together. It isn't bad for a summer, lawnmower, beer, but it could be a little too sweet for some.

04-22-2007 01:19:03 | More by chemmie
CharlieMopps

3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Poured a hazy, pale goldenrod with an orangeish tint, quite bubbly in body and a thick head displaying decent retention, some lacing.

S: A orange and citrusy sweet smell over some grainy notes and bit of spice, a very nice bouquet. If this thing tastes half as good as it smells, it's a winner.

T: A very straightforward taste, simply a refreshing wheat beer flavor throughout, nothing spectacular, but that seems to be part of the charm. A slight hop flavor is detectable at the end, rounding out a wheaty finish. Not a whole lot of ups and downs.

M: Decent carbonation, a thin, watery and slick mouthfeel make it smooth overall.

D: Has a good drinkability level due to its flavor composition and watery feel, would do well for a cookout. Being the first truly hot/warm day here for the season, this beer is a good way to kick off the late spring/summer months, but may not hold up in the face of other witbiers.

04-21-2007 21:35:26 | More by CharlieMopps
Bierguy5

3.45/5  rDev +3%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a very pale cloudy golden color. Fizzy white head does hold together well, and leaves some patchy lace when it subsides.

Strong berry-like aroma. Lots of fruits, lemons, oranges, maybe some grapes and apricots. Seems a bit artificial. A bit perfumey as well.

Slightly tart and crisp, with a great amount of sweet fruitiness. Lemons, oranges, and berries. The sweetness is a bit much, and there seems to be just a touch of hops to help out.

Decent body and carbonation. This isn't bad, but it is a bit too sweet, and the fruit flavors don't seem natural. They don't seem blended in, rather they compete with the base of the beer. Still, worth a shot, particularly in the hot weather.

04-21-2007 02:15:18 | More by Bierguy5
beeragent

This finally arrived in Texas! I had been wanting to try it after reading the article about this beer on the BA website.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer pours a very hazy straw, with a 1/4 inch head, and light lacing on the glass.

The aroma is a nice mix of hops, wheat, and lemon.

The taste is amazing! Orange and lemon, along with a good amount of hops, creating a very smooth citrus finish.

Medium mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

Overall, I have to say this is in my top five for best witbiers. Highly enjoyable, and very sessionable.

04-20-2007 06:01:12 | More by beeragent
JMD71

2.95/5  rDev -11.9%

Sampled & reviewed on 3/2/07:

Ap: Full finger of head raised which settles within moments to a thin layer. Cloudy & gloden. Has the standard look of a Wit or other wheat-based ale.

Ar: Candied fruits dominate! Just totally pervade the entire aroma. Smells like jujifruits for Pete's sake! Maybe Juicyfruit gum. Smells real fake - oranges, cherries. Kind of like fruit punch or Hi-C.

Ta: The taste scarily reminds me of Fruity Pebbles (Wiiilllmaaa!). I love Fruity Pebbles n' all, but this is ridculous flavor in a beer. Do I like it because I love Fruity Pebbles or do I hate it due to its absolute lack of true beer qualities such as any malt flavor or hop bite?

Mo: Very light, smooth & crisp. Fruitiness leaves palette very clean. Dry finish.

Dr: Extremely easy drinking, but fruitiness wears very quickly. Thirst quenching possibly as is a fruity drink or juice, but not really a "beer" IMO.

Comments: Honestly, I didn't mind this as a beverage, but I don't think I could consider it beer, per se. Tasty, fruity & flavorful, albeit a bit fake tasting, but possesses no qualities you'd expect from beer.

04-17-2007 18:45:57 | More by JMD71
sethmeister

New Hampshire

2.38/5  rDev -29%

12oz bottle into pint glass

Pours a cloudy lemon yellow with a large fluffy white head but little to no lace.

Scent is lemon, orange. Sweet, candy-like and somewhat unnatural; actually reminds me of froot loops cereal.

Taste is tart lemons and sweet oranges, a hint of coriander, peach and banana on top of a wheat base. The froot loops comparison is borne out here too.

Mouthfeel is light and slightly creamy. Not heavily carbonated.

Drinkability for me is poor. The unnatural sugary fruity aspect gets old quickly.

Not impressed with this beer at all.

04-14-2007 03:19:40 | More by sethmeister
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.3/5  rDev -31.3%

On-tap 4/12/07 at The Abbey in Providence, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale orange color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is fruity with orange & lemon. There’s also some wheat and a faint touch of hops in there.

T: The taste is quite sweet and fruity with the same flavors of orange & lemon that you get in the smell. There’s a little bit of spice and some wheat flavor in it as well. Despite the fruity sweetness, the malt character is thin and there’s barely any hops presence. The after-taste is sweet and a little bready.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, the finish is somewhat clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, to be honest I didn’t like it at all and would not drink it again, however, if you like Blue Moon, you’d probably like this beer as well. I was sad to see that this beer had replaced the Newport Storm of the Season tap at The Abbey and mentioned as much to the bartender for it whatever it may have been worth.

04-13-2007 13:56:57 | More by TheManiacalOne
Lagaffe74

Louisiana

3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

This beer just made it into our state. Could not wait to taste it, especially after all I had read about it.
It poured a hazy, cloudy yellow-orange. The nose was quite surprising. I was expecting the usual orange peel, but what I got instead was plenty of citrus - lemon and orange - but more in a candy-like form. Also present were hints of licorice, mint and blueberry.
On the palate, same flavors, but more oangey, but still candy-like. Very nice carbonation makes this one pretty enjoyable.
Quite different. This could make it a bit challenging....but worth the challenge!

04-12-2007 20:22:19 | More by Lagaffe74
Randori

4.33/5  rDev +29.3%

Tried this one on draft on a whim last night. Sam's Summer is finding its way to shelves and taps these days but thought I'd give this unfamiliar summer wheat a try.

The head was a light butter-cream color and held up well. My first glass was served with a healthy wedge of orange which at first I imagined was responsible for orangish-slightly sweet aroma. (I was mistaken as I quaffed my second glass sans-orange and was pleased to still encounter a distinctly citrus/orange note drifting up from the glass.)

It poured with a nice veil that's typical of an unfiltered wheat but it was perhaps a bit more amber/honey colored than the golden or straw colored hues of some of the more familiar summer wheats.

The tastes was most surprising....expecting as I did the lemon/pepper spice notes of a typical summer wheats. What I got instead was more of a sweet, almost toasted orange peel and blueberry top note that lingered without being too cloying or too sweet. I was worried this would be one of those "single serving" beers that becomes undrinkable as you get near the bottom of your first pint. Not so. I found myself enjoying the sweet/toasted citrus notes and imagining warmer days to come with one of these in hand....and welcomed the prospect enthusiastically.

Normally I get a little distracted by beers with such noticable or deliberate fruit flavors in them. While I always enjoy the first 3 - 6 ounces or so, eventually the fruit flavor becomes so pronounced that it begins to taste like one of the kids dropped their lollypop or maybe a cough drop into my beer.

3 pints later no such effect occured and while rather noticable and up-front, the citrus notes never overtook the beer. I'll be looking for this one on the shelves for the backyard cooler this year.

Randori

04-12-2007 19:00:48 | More by Randori
soupyman10

District of Columbia

I really liked this one, apparently more than pretty much everyone else. Pours your standard foggy light yellow witbier color, lots of white foam on top. Smell is lots of orange (and I didn't even have any in there). Taste is almost overwhelmingly a sweet version of orange peel, but still delicious. Not a lot else going on, but it's strangely tasty. Feel is medium bodied with mild carbonation, but tasty. Overall, a solid beer with a really unique flavor...reminded me of a lambic because of its distinct fruitiness. I still liked it.

04-12-2007 00:01:05 | More by soupyman10
TrojanMan

Maryland

3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

I had decided to try this one since it just recently hit the shelves around here. I had a 6-pack in my cart as I was walking through the beer store and one of the sales clerks approached me and noted my selection. He said that the distributor had give them employees a few free samples to take home and that he was fairly impressed with the brew. His no-holds-barred assessment was, "Liquid Fruity Pebbles."

I have to agree with him that this beer has a lot of taste similarities to a children's breakfast cereal.

From the bottle, it pours a perfect head and is pleasantly cloudy. Although I did the old "swirl" on the bottom 1/3 of the bottle while pouring, you really don't need to. I tried a straight pour on one of the bottles and had virtually no noticable difference on appearance or scent.

The scent itself is noticably sweet but not overpowering. Slightly floral - along the lines of a fresh-cut bouquet.

Taste is astonishing at first and it really took me by surprise. You should remember your first one of these for a long time. As the clerk had mentioned, very similar to Fruity Pebbles though with a very present wheat taste and a slight crispness from the carbonation. The 'fizz' is light but present in the taste and it really contributes. Mouthfeel is a little dry to me despite the sweet taste. Just slightly gritty but it swallows smooth with a clean finish.

At 4.9% with a pleasant and eclectic taste, this is one you could drink all day long.

My advice on fruit - I tried it with both lemon and orange and the orange is deffinitely the preferable choice. Just rub it on the outside of the rim of the glass, don't drop it in.

Don't expect this to be an authentic Belgian wit. It's a thoroughly American creation that appeals to a largely ignored segment of the beer market. It's certainly a strange brew to pick up but the challenge is mild and fun.

One last note: I drank my last one straight from the bottle to get a feel for how it might hold up in a 'picnic' environment where glassware is scarce or out of place. More concentrated and slightly fizzier as you would expect but still very drinkable. Don't be shy to flip off the convenient twist-off cap and drink one down while sitting on the porch and watching the sunset.

A very unique beer.

04-09-2007 03:12:40 | More by TrojanMan
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

There's a date of 02 27 07, which I'm thinking is the bottled or born on date? Pours a hazed straw color with 4+ fingers of fluffy eggshell colored head. Good lacing * above averag head retention

S: Berries & watermelon?

T: Orange peel, berry punch & slight hint of pepper up front. Tartness follows as this warms along with a peach juice favor. Finishes dry, tart & fruitty

MF: Light & sprtizy

Drinks alright, a lot to fruitty for me, someone probably digs this. I'll be sexist & think it would a just a few women.Not a good example of a wit by far...

04-08-2007 03:03:11 | More by russpowell
MisterDeeds

4.53/5  rDev +35.2%

The aroma was very familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. The taste confirmed it. This beer reminds me of being ten years old, and eating a bowl of Fruity Pebbles cereal. Somehow, this is not a bad thing.

I didn't garnish with an orange as suggested, but I think the flavor does a good enough job by itself. I wasn't really looking for a beer that tasted like grade school breakfast, but there is something quite amazing about it.

This could be the ultimate beer for back porch relaxing, or enjoying after the lawn is cut. This was my first beer by the Leinenkugel family, but I will now be on the lookout for any more styles I can get my hands on.

04-07-2007 22:49:03 | More by MisterDeeds
dmamiano

West Virginia

2.13/5  rDev -36.4%

Purchaed in a "sampler" case with three other of their beers.. It was called the "Adventure Pack". Drinking this was an "adventure" not worth taking.
This poured a very cloudy orange color with decent carbonation and head.
The aroma wasa bit "offensive" to me, kind of like orange coolade and the taste was also of the same.
Not one I will buy again.

04-07-2007 15:02:40 | More by dmamiano
ZimZamZoom

West Virginia

3.2/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A hazy golden color, with a thick, pure white head. Head stays around a long time.

Smells like spicy jelly beans, with a bit of malt and hops. This really comes across as over spiced to me.

Tastes like a peppery orange koolaid, where some health-conscious Mom added only half the sugar. The citrus is way too evident for my liking. I wouldn't necessarily consider a wit to be fruit beer but this one sure is. A halfway decent bitter finish does a little bit to save this brew for me.

I could drink this like water on a hot summer day no doubt. I bet the ladies will like it a lot more.

04-06-2007 22:40:06 | More by ZimZamZoom
PittBeerGirl

3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

A-poured a cloudy orange color with a healthy white hade that left behind some lacing.

S- very intense sweet fruits and citrus. Nothing else can be detected.

T- sweet fruits and sour citrus masks the wheat taste hidden far in the background. Somewhat of an artificial bitter aftertaste.

M-decent. light body with medium carbonation. very smooth.

D- this is a very drinkable beer if you like sweet tastes.

04-06-2007 16:21:36 | More by PittBeerGirl