Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
3.79/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into Blue Moon weizen glass

A: Poured hazily into glass, finger of head with little lacing.

S: Interesting smell, quite fruity which is unexpected. I really enjoyed the smell of the brew.

T & M: Taste goes with smell, surprising fruity flavor with wheat texture. I had low expectations with this brew and am very impressed. Mouthfeel fairly weak, doesn't really linger after drinking.

D: Definitely drinkable, the sweetness to the brew might get a bit old after a few but I can definitely see myself putting a few a these back during the summer.

1.46/5  rDev -56.5%

I feel dooped. The package is so inviting! However that is where the fun time ended... The cap twisted off and the fruity aroma hit my nose. I poured my cloudy beer into an imperial pint glass and noticed the lumps of things free floating. I know unfiltered is unfiltered but whoa! A fork may be needed. But always an optimist I began the quaff and felt my tastebuds getting mugged! Fruit explosion! More than should be in any beer! UCK! There was one brief moment when I thought I could taste pepper or maybe corriander but then the fruit overwhelmed it once and for all...

Over all this beer is a major disapointment. I was hot & thirsty. I was looking forward to

3.32/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Cloudy yellow/orange with a inch of fast dropping white head.

S - Eh? Is this a mint beer or something? Also fruity with red berries and a chalky tone.

T/M - Methinks it is a mint beer - that must be the natural flavours. Certainly different tasting. Fairly dry, some wheatiness and a big leafy/minty flavour. Mildly bitter finish and a light spritzy body.

D - Not bad I guess. Odd flavour, and fairly refreshing, but not bad.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from twist off 12oz to standard pint, pours a highly carbonated hazy peachy orange, white foamy head.

Smells heavy of orange peel, wheat, a licorice scent

Taste is sweet, wheaty, orange is extreme like adding a slice of orange pre-built into the bottle, comes off with flavors of black licorice, floral, bitter, fairly sessionable.

mouthfeel is creamy from the heavy carbonation, bitter but smooth

4.32/5  rDev +28.6%

A- Light, yellow/orangish, medium amount of carbonation.

S- It smells like a Hefeweizen with a bucket of oranges dropped in. Very sweet.

T- It tastes very much like it smells. Very orangey/citric. Very sweet but also very nice and crisp. A cross between a fuzzy navel wine cooler and a light beer. (Full disclosure- I very much like fruit beers)

M- Light, perfect for a hot summer day. A medium amount of carbonation that is very lively on your tongue.

D- I can easily see sitting down a drinking a six pack in a couple of hours. Perfect for sitting outside by a fire on a hot day.

3.47/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a murky golden straw color. Had some remnants floating in it, was not sure if this was supposed to be there, obviously, I didn't think it was part of the beer.

S: Lots of yeast smell, with fruity citrus hints.

T: Some grass and citrus mixed together, but light tasting, a decent mixture.

M: Not as light as expected, but leaves a crips refreshing taste.

D: A decent session beer, good for the summer, worth a try, hopefully without the particle floaters.

4.65/5  rDev +38.4%

A - pours murky golden (almost glows) with a thin head. some lacing but not much.

S - fresh and citrusy. Lemony and bright.

T - I may be in the minority but I think the taste here is unique and outstanding. It's part wheat beer, part lager, all unique. Very crisp, fresh taste with a hint of blueberry and coriander.

M - Nicely bubbly. Very fresh.

D - I can and have consumed a 12er in one sitting.

3.77/5  rDev +12.2%

I have to admit I am surprised to be writing this review and more shocked that it will be a positive one.

I'm traditionally not a fan of beers that fall into any of the following categories;

- Wheat
- Sweet
- Fruit flavored.

But I have to report that I think the combo really works here.

A wonderful summer session beer.

Pint came with very little head on it and the lacing was very very thin.

Color was a hazy bright copper that I dare say had a hint of the color of a Sunset. Kudos to their marketing team.

Aroma was fantastic and really screamed fresh, bright and fruity (orange)

Taste is on the sweeter side, but I think very well balanced.

Short sweet burst followed by the fresh Orange burst. The spices really help round out the flavor. The finish seemed like a classic wheat beer and almost provided a subtle bready finish.

Carbonation created an almost effervescent mouthfeel which was quite refreshing.

Something tells me it would be gauche to be caught drinking this before Easter or after Labor day.

Take some to the beach. Nice brew.

3.97/5  rDev +18.2%

Gently rolled this one and poured an airy white head three fingers tall. Golden yellow in color and hazy with flakes and chunks of sediment moving around. Flakes look odd.

S: Coriander, lemon peel, and fresh apricots are aromas lifted up in the foam and easily distinguishable. A roasted wheat aroma is strong too. Fresh citrus hop aroma comes through.

T: Light but zesty wheat flavor coupled with lemon and a coriander spice. What I expected from the aroma. Subtle banana flavor and touch of yeast flavors impart even more citrus. Some blueberry sweetness follows. Sweetness is not overwhelming but balancing.

M: Smooth, medium light body with tight carbonation. No alcohol warmth to this one.

D: Very drinkable warm weather beer for sippin' on the dock or beach or on the porch. Nice flavors are not too boring after a while either. Good balance to this one.

2.43/5  rDev -27.7%

This brewski pours a cloudy golden color and has a fizzy tan head. The nose has citrus fruits, wheat malt and some spice. The taste is a little lighter with mostly wheat. Average body with heavy carbonation. This is one of Leinenkugel's best beers and goes down well.

4.4/5  rDev +31%

Ahhh Leinie's...something about this seems to just epitomize summer in the woods of the upper midwest. On tap it poured frothy, with a nice lacey white head. It dissipates into a clingy whispyness. It smells of grain, coriander, and fruits like lemon, lime, and a bit of orange. The taste is exceptional, and it borders on tasting like Fruity Pebbles cereal, if you can believe it! It has an extremely smooth mouthfeel, with just the right amount of carbonation. If I had a kegerator, this would be a mainstay.

4.14/5  rDev +23.2%

This beer may not always get a good rap with drinkers who are not expecting the "fruity pebble" experience but I found it enjoyable for what it is. First of all this beer accomplishes some good things in the witbier category and does not come through fully in other parts. The appearence does not offer much more than a 1 finger white head that does not last long and leaves little lacing. The smell fills your nose with spice and citrus with the smell of blueberries in the finish. There is still a hint of sweet wheat in this at the core. When tasting a spicey start greets you followed by a sweet citrus and hints of blueberry that trail off into a tart wheat finish. All throughout this beer has a crisp heavy carbonation that somehow still retains a smooth creamy finish. A low alcohol% and crisp/refreshing and smooth experience are enough to draw away from its sweetness that extends more than a traditional wit. Overall I really enjoy this beer.

2.46/5  rDev -26.8%

Got this in a 6 pack from the Grub Mart here in J'ville. 12oz bottle poured into a pint tumbler.

A: A light golden (golden might be a stretch), with a weak head that vanished quickly.

S: Smelled first and foremost like candied fruit extract. Then you get a little of the wheat.

T: Glad I am not the only one that noticed it tasted like fruity pebbles. Wasn't expecting this and it really turned me off. All I could taste was fruity pebbles.

M: Has a creaminess to it that I wasn't expecting after the taste. This is the only redeeming factor of this beer to me.

D: Not for me. Was not expecting a fruity beer and then I got slapped in the face with one. Not impressed and won't drink again.

3.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. The color is golden with a twinge of orange, and is cloudy. The head is a nice soapy white lace, which lasts. The nose is very unique, very fruity and sweet. It reminds me of fruity pebbles. Then ever so faint malt and wheat character in the background. The taste is well balanced and is sweet and fruity, but maintains its beer characteristics. It has a light to medium bodied mouthfeel and is very drinkable.

2.89/5  rDev -14%

First off this beer on tap is WAYYY better than bottled. I don't know how a keg can be like 10 times better than the bottle but it was. so ill try and review a bit of them both...

A: light pale goldish with a haziness throughout and a white head that vanishes quickly.

S: wheat and maybe berry/lemon scent

T: Here is where the separation is hands down. On tap it is almost zesty with a berry (blueberry) flavor that doesn't represent this class much at all but when looking past that fact, its pretty good. (and it was on special 23oz for 2 bucks). Bottled thought, it becomes more bland and back of the tongue bitter without the better notes of taste that represented the on tap experience. Unfortunate to say the least

M: creamy and SUPER bubbly. when i poured it from the bottle, I walked away after a good pour with a decent head, and i came back and the thing continuously fizzed and foamed. I have never seen that happen before. crazy

D: Not my favorite by any stretch. Although the draft of this brew is hands down better, it does not make it that much better. Maybe B- for draft

2.33/5  rDev -30.7%

WOW! What a failure for a wheat beer. Blueberry? Come on, who ever tasted a wheat beer that tastes like blueberries? Maybe banana, cloves, and phenols, but not blueberry. I know there are lots of people who like this beer, however, being a wheat beer lover, I can not see this as a brewer's success story. Maybe the Leinenkugel brew masters made sunset wheat overly sweet to attract women who don't like beer's hoppy characteristics. So although this beer wasn't repulsive, I definately would not buy a sixer of it ever again.

3.17/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured into a tulip glass. Hazy unfiltered apple juice color, with an off-white head of about a finger. Quite fizzy and short-lived. No lacing.

Aroma is blueberry pancake batter, with a limey twang.

Flavor is faint blueberry, and there's no real wheat influence that I can taste. The lime is more subdued in the flavor. Distinctly summery, but I don't know if this is distinctly a witbier. Finish is exceedingly watery. If you poured tonic water into a bowl of fruity pebbles, it would taste like this beer.

Mouthfeel is overcarbonated but clean. Not much body here. Easy to drink, refreshing, but boring.

4.01/5  rDev +19.3%

I have had this beer several times, but never really sat to think about it. I drank it this time in a regular pint glass. Had a nice head, hazy golden yellow with some great carbonation.

One thing I picked up this time around with a little help from the beeradvocate article about this beer is the smell of blueberries. I am shocked how I ever could have missed it.

It is a nice light bodied beer with some citrus notes. Very refreshing and pretty smooth.

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Poured a light pale goldish/orange with some haziness and a bright white head that was moderately lasting.

S: On the nose was some soft wheat and an artificial fruitiness.

T: The flavor starts sweet and ends tart with a sour orange finish and some orange candy notes. Overall not a good representation per style and comes off more as a macro-attempt as an entry beer.

M: moderately creamy and over-carbonated.

D: Overall a bland wheat, monotone spicing and lackluster drinking factor.

4.82/5  rDev +43.5%

This is a good example of a fruity witbeir. A light amber in color and slightly cloudy makes it quite average for the witbeir catagory. Holds a decent head retention.

Has a very slight but distinctive fruity nose that is very refreshing.

Has a very appealing blueberry taste with a hint of coriander in the aftertaste.

Feels very smooth and clean in the mouth.

Definitely a favorite among the people I sampled this beer with.

3.48/5  rDev +3.6%

Much better than I expected. Solid wheat beer "look". Hazy dull gold, nice size carbonated head. Head hangs in there a bit. Average wheat beer smell.

Tastes pretty good. Standard (and well done) wheat beer taste up front, astringent, bananas etc. I couldn't identify the second taste and had to look the beer up. Once I knew it was blueberry, I could taste it for myself.

The blueberry really adds to the beer. Makes it seem more complex. The flavors really compliment each other.

Mouthfeel is crisp and about right for this stlye of beer.

Drinkability is good. I could swill a lot of these in the summertime without getting bored with it.

2.08/5  rDev -38.1%

This seems to be a popular type of beer right now - a supposedly "creative" style that tastes like anything but beer. In fact, this one tastes like the smell of citrusy furniture polish.

It's hazy gold with bits floating in it and a small white head that soon dissipates to a thin foamy ring and wisps.

The aroma has a little light grain with but is mostly sweet, perfumy citrus oil with hints of vanilla, candy, orange blossoms and spices. Ultimately, it has the overly perfumy, artificial-seeming, orange quality of citrus-based furniture polish.

The taste is basically the same, but less complex, being lmoast entirely citrus oil. It's tangy and lightly sweet with a faint tartness. I's basically drinkable and not nasy, but it is tiresome.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

A - Cloudy golden hue with a small white head, that did stay with the beer throughout the entire glass.

S - Nice clean nose with hints of citrus and blueberries, aromatic.

T - Nice taste with flavorful additions of blueberry, which paired well with the style. Very much a witbier, and the addition of the subtle blueberry flavor was a welcome addition.

M - Average with thinner mouthfeel

D - To style, this is a very drinkable beer that could translate well for a larger audience. Very drinkable summer style beer that would be refreshing in a variety of situations.

4.09/5  rDev +21.7%

A- Dark hazy straw, small white head.

A- Very fruit smell (blueberries?), slight hint of citrus.

T- Very similar to the aroma. Very fruity taste. Leaves an orange citrus after

M- Light body. Very smooth/creamy. High carbonation.

D- Incredibly refreshing. I remember my first experience with this beer, I loved it. I couldn't put my finger on the fruit at first. I later heard someone refer to it as dryhopping fruity pebbles. That ruined my image of this beer, though I'm sure it was meant to be more of a blueberry taste than of fruity pebbles. If you like more fruit tasting beers give this a try or any other Leinenkugel offering.

3.84/5  rDev +14.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass

A - It poured a very cloudy, darker straw color with surprisingly little head considering this is a wheat beer.

S - The first smell to hit me was a citrus aroma with some relatively strong and pleasant yeast behind.

T - Again, the first taste was citrus with wheat. Another sip brought out a blueberry flavor that becomes more apparent as I drink it. This was better than I anticipated, and better than my first bottle (as well as 4 months older).

M - Nothing outstanding or exciting, but very good all around. A little more wet than I anticipated, but that's a good thing for this type of beer. Some carbonation keeps me from drinking it too fast, allowing me to enjoy it more than I want.

D - All around a pretty good beer. I could definitely drink a couple of these in a night, but would prefer to probably stick to one. It makes an excellent warm-weather beer that I could easily sip on the front porch with some buddies.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company