Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev +6%

I really liked this one. It poured a cloudy yellow color and the aroma was fruity. Very smooth pleasant taste that was citrusy. This is a nice summer beer on the South Mississippi Gulf Coast where the high yesterday was 98. Had this one again and I definitely tasted the fruity pebbles that others have described.

biggmike, Jul 29, 2007
3.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a very cloudy brown/yellow straw color with lots of white suds. Good lacing.
Smell is wheat/straw with an orange/cherry/lemon tang . Some caramel but not a lot.
Taste is very strange. A lemony pledge flavor with sugar hints in the aftertaste. There is orange peel here but very faint.
Mouthfeel is pretty nice also. Very clean.
Drinkability would be OK cause it's not that strong but the flavors aren't either.

peabody, Jul 24, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

Sorry, but this beer is bad, but interesting. This is a cloudy, yellow beer and that's where it's wheat characteristics end. It smells like candy fruit and tastes like bubble gum. I can detect the orange, coriander, lemon, rind, and other citrus, but this just has imitation written all over it. It doesn't taste real, but rather like extract was added to it thus giving it its artificial bubble gum flavor. its a light bodied, decently carbonated beer. Its light, with a small mouthfeel and no real after taste. I've had a few sips and that's all for me.

albern, Jul 21, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance- Nice dar golden color. nice head.

Smell- citrus like an orange zest, could smell hint of spices as well.

Taste- Lemon, Orange zest, light spices, hints of wheat maybe a hint of blueberry?.

Mouthfeel- Nice carbonation, refreshing.

Drinkability- This is a great summertime beer. I loved the citrus taste that it had. I would recommend this beer to friends!

Beerbuddha, Jul 17, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

In the glass this is a cloudy amber colored ale with a good but small white head.

WOW this is an incredibly fruity smelling ale, I could tell that the moment I opened it with no need to get my nose close to it. Sweet and smelling very much like Wrigley Juicy Fruit Gum. There is a bit of spice in this but the fruity scent really takes over.

The taste begins sweet with a strong berries and cream flavor. Under all those berries there is also a wheat beer. Not as spicy as I expected there is a strong orange flavor in this.

The Mouthfeel is good.

Hmm...A bit much berry flavor here but I do like it. I think after about three of these I would want something else.

Zorro, Jul 15, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +28.4%

Aroma is malty with a wheaty undertone, and hints of orange. Color is warmly golden and somewhat cloudy. Flavor is rich, rather malty with strong orange tone, rather sweet but not cloying, just a whisper of smokiness. It has a nice thick feel that I do not often find in wheat beers, and leaves a pleasant and satisfying aftertaste. Better than what I expected!

Cyberkedi, Jul 14, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -14%

Pours out a really murky peach with a thick, fluffy head that, once receded, leaves some drippy lacing. Smells of a wheat graininess with some blueberry, Lemonheads and Fruity Pebbles. Has an artificial smell to it. More beer characteristics come out in the flavor with some pale malts and wheat, but then gets pushed out by berry and Fruity Pebbles. Weird, but not really bad. Mouthfeel is light but a little gritty from the yeast and the carbonation is tingly and doesn't prick too hard. This is a bit weird for me to crave another. Good alternative to a soda, most definitely.

goochpunch, Jul 14, 2007
3.28/5  rDev -2.1%

Introduction...a nice light summer drink....

A- Orange amber color, deep sunshine. Decent light white 2-3 finger head, holds pretty well.
S- Nice light citrus, lemony, orange zest...definite spices possibly some coriander undertones...decent, but doesn't last, and is not all that impressive in its aromatic delivery.
T- Same lemony, light flavors, light spices, no real distinct or prominent flavor...a typical light airy summer time wheat beer.
M- Good carbonation balance, feels nice, refreshing.
D- Definitely a nice summer time, warm weather drink, enjoyed a couple at a friends on the 4th, fit the mood nicely...would drink again if someone offered to me, but probably wouldn't go out of the way to stock at my house....

mwagner1018, Jul 09, 2007
3.38/5  rDev +0.9%

This is the type of beer that a macro drinker would drink and say they are branching out to something more bold, but it isn't. Pours a hazy dark yellow, smelly quite floral and perfumy. Tastes a little les floral than the smell, a bit like citrus, but without much bite. Average mouthfeel. Overall it's a good summer beer but beyond that quite average, I would drink it again if offered, overall though it's a big so what.

Manosbeeroffate, Jul 09, 2007
3.13/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz brown bottle

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat was a pale yellow color and very cloudy. The head was white and had decent retention. The aroma was full of citrus with some spices. The taste was lemony with some spices towards the finish. The mouthfeel was crisp with a medium-light body and plenty of carbonation. Drinkability was average. It's a decent beer, but not one I will purchase again.

afinepilsner, Jul 08, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

What an interesting beer. This beer pours a deep golden color with a tight white head. Its aroma distinguishes this beer. Not sure if it is artificial or not, but I detect lemon, orange, and a little bit of blueberry. The taste goes along with the aroma. There is some sourness that suggest the citrus part of the beer is natural. It is quite a refreshing summer beer. It is very drinkable, however the aftertaste leaves something to be desired. There is a hollowness, followed by a metallic flavor. Not sure why that happens, but maybe they need to add some more bittering hops to balance it out better. Overall worth trying, but I suppose some will either really like or really dislike this one.

zymurgy4all, Jul 07, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +10.4%

Hazy cloud forms in the center of this yellow-gold brew. Head is white, somewhat large bubbles, with good retention and average lacing.

Aroma is vibrant, with plenty of lemon, coriander and another lighter spice, and orange zest.

Wheat flavor is light and crisp, lots of lemon and orange in the flavor, also a depth of flavor that reminds me of berries. Candy sugar, very mild hopping, with a finish of citric zest.

Mouthfeel is crisp, body is okay but a little thin, even for a wheat. Interesting beer with a lot of flavors going on, perhaps not a personal favorite but a good summer choice.

BretSikkink, Jul 07, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

Into a pint glass pours an incredibly cloudy dark golden liquid. Looks thick, like a deeeep hefeweizen. Very thick and pillowy white head. Light only barely passes through. It's substantial! Thick swath of lace remains on the inside of the glass.

Massive aromatic combination of wheat and fruity lemon. It is unique. Not quite a wit, not quite a hefeweizen; it's exactly halfway.

The taste is a strong wheat smell with a combination of some lemon and orange peel. Major orange sherbet flavor; who woulda thunk that? Almost like a dessert beer. The sweetness is really overwhelming toward the end.

The feel is creamy and nice. None of the chewy orange juice feel of a hef, but all the fruity flavor. It's a unique beer; like a smooth, creamy hefeweizen. Has the taste of a hef and the feel of a witbier. Very solid selection.

williamherbert, Jul 04, 2007
3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

Picked this one up at a local rite-aid, it was late.
I'm one that goes for the unusal tastes in beer/ale, and
summer time I expect to see beers come out with their
fruity/wit styles and I always try them. This beer on first
sips came across somewhat sweet, a slight blueberry
taste and citrusy. Many reviewers said it tastes articfical,
I think its the combination of the different citrus tastes colliding
due to the balance being off, maybe thats exactly what they
were going for, who knows. either you like this style of beer
or you don't. Its a nice golden color with a slight leftover head
that rides the glass to finish. Not bad, certainly not great but
summertime is a good time as ever to experiment and I wouldn't
pour it down the drain. I'm on my second bottle, it could be
my last....

littlebibs, Jul 03, 2007
1.95/5  rDev -41.8%

I'll make this short and sweet, pun intented. An orange soda pop, malt beverage with natural fruit flavors concoction. Something about the idea of a Hefe style beer with a light citrusy note and perhaps that characteristic "bubble gum" scent caused me to buy this. Boy was I ever dissapointed. My girlfriend didn't like it....she's the kind that'll put a lemon slice in a good hefe.

scottblaze, Jul 02, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +17.3%

The Sunset Wheat poured a hazy yellow. Some carbonation drifted up to a scant white cap. Nominal lacing. Smell is sweet lemon and grains. Taste is more sweet citrus over a nice malt hop blend. Maybe some pepper as well. Mouthfeel is crisp and dry. Very refreshing. One of my favorite beers to drink when it's real hot and sticky.

crayphish, Jul 01, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -23%

A: Cloudy orangish yellow, creamy offwhite head. Fair amount of lacing.
S: I don't know how to describe not. Not like any other beer I've smelled before. Definitely doesn't smell natural.
T: WTF? Huge blast of a Fruity Pebbles-esque orange, with a hint of licorice. About 10 seconds later, the sweetness lingers.
M: Low carbonation, medium light body. Meh.
D: I'm glad I only have one of this, and I may not even finish this one. My girl who likes fruity beers would probably like this. Definitely not for me though.

AWolfAtTheDoor, Jul 01, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Served on top in a large pilsner glass, Sunset Wheat is a hazy pale yellow, with a small but long lasting head that didn't leave any lace.

The nose is very heavy orange adjunct.

The taste is also basically all orange adjunct, which was tolerable at first but quickly got to be too much. It is interesting that I see the beer notes say this is a Belgian style witbier with blueberries added. Knowing nothing about this when I had it, I assumed it was an american wheat with curacao. Aside from the fruity adjunct, the taste was thin and bland. Nothing witbier about this at all in my mind.

The body was thin and light with no carbonation.

This wasn't very drinkable, in spite of being a lightweight, because the orange got to be way to much. I also disagree with it being a witbier, although I didn't notice any blueberry either, so go figure...

ccrida, Jun 27, 2007
3.45/5  rDev +3%

Poured a golden yellow with a moderate white fizzy head that faded quickly with no lace. Smell was very sweet, lots of lemon and wheat hints in here. Wow, the taste, if I did not know better I would swear there was a lemon in the bottle. Smooth and light, but really sweet. I would not have put soo much lemon or corriander or whatever that herb is thats sweeting it, other than that, a very sessionable summer beer.

mikesgroove, Jun 23, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -18.5%

This is one unusual Whit, for sure.

Pours a cloudy pale lemon with a decent full finger white head that sticks around a long time.

Aroma is spicy and lemony but with a hint of blueberries....very strange.

Taste is bready yeast and lemon with wheat spices (pepper and corriander) but again a hint of blueberry that sticks around for the aftertaste.

Interesting...strange...I think the jury is still out on this one.

IntriqKen, Jun 16, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

This witbier pours cloudy orange gold with a dense froaty head that retains well and leaves a good lace.

The aroma is spicy and sweet with lemon and lime. Also a hint of clove. Some yeast and plenty of wheaty goodness.

Now hear me out. In accordance with the intentions of the site, I always try to be very constructive with my reviews. This case is no different. With that being said. This beer taste exactly like Post Fruity Pebbles. Several of my friends at the establishment we were patronizing agreed. Pure unadulterated Fruity Pebbles breakfast cereal. There may have been something weird going on with the keg, or there may be some sort of glitch in my brain. But: Grain, a bit of wheat, and so-help-me-God FRUITY PEBBLES!

letsgopens, Jun 15, 2007
1.5/5  rDev -55.2%

A hazy, golden body is topped by a foaming head about 2 1/2 fingers. Looks like beat eggs poured into a glass.
Aroma: Fruit Loops and some floral hops. Is this a cereal? Very sweet
Taste: Fruit Loops again, with a touch of blueberry. A bit odd. Syrupy or fake flavors. Just bad.
Some stale socks aftertaste. This is bad a pint is almost too much. Wouldn't have two. Not sure what this would pair with either. won't have it again.

Mebuzzard, Jun 14, 2007
3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

A: a very hazy straw color with a thin white head that seams to last a decent while. its a good looking witbier, but nothing that stands out
S: blueberries and yeast anyone? definatly some wheat as well and supposedly spiced with coriander but i pick up blueberry
T:def some more blueberry and yeast explosions going on. aside from that not a very strongly flavored beer.
M/D: very very dry, my mouth is still dry, im not sure why maybe it was just me. way too try for me and this style. decent medium to light body and relatively drinkable except after two i felt like my mouth was cotton

Redwood21, Jun 13, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +12.8%

A frind who spent last summer in the midwest had been talking about this, so i had to pick it up. Poors a hazy straw with a big white head. Smells pretty fruity with some wheat mixed in for good measure. The taste also sticks with the fruit and wheat theme from the noze, and finishes very crisp and clean. This beer was exceptionaly good hanging outside with some friends, very smooth, something a non beer drinker would appreciate, but appreciated by me as well

dickieb, Jun 12, 2007
1.75/5  rDev -47.8%

I did not like it at all. Too much coriander, the citrus flavoring tasted artificial and left a real bad aftertaste. Reminded me of generic Froot Loops but not as good. After two bottles out of the six I gave up even attempting to see if the 3rd time was a charm. I'll usually always finish a six no matter how good or bad it is...Not in this case. I did not like it.

Dalem, Jun 10, 2007