Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
letsgopens

3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

This witbier pours cloudy orange gold with a dense froaty head that retains well and leaves a good lace.

The aroma is spicy and sweet with lemon and lime. Also a hint of clove. Some yeast and plenty of wheaty goodness.

Now hear me out. In accordance with the intentions of the site, I always try to be very constructive with my reviews. This case is no different. With that being said. This beer taste exactly like Post Fruity Pebbles. Several of my friends at the establishment we were patronizing agreed. Pure unadulterated Fruity Pebbles breakfast cereal. There may have been something weird going on with the keg, or there may be some sort of glitch in my brain. But: Grain, a bit of wheat, and so-help-me-God FRUITY PEBBLES!

06-15-2007 23:15:02 | More by letsgopens
Mebuzzard

Colorado

1.5/5  rDev -55.2%

A hazy, golden body is topped by a foaming head about 2 1/2 fingers. Looks like beat eggs poured into a glass.
Aroma: Fruit Loops and some floral hops. Is this a cereal? Very sweet
Taste: Fruit Loops again, with a touch of blueberry. A bit odd. Syrupy or fake flavors. Just bad.
Some stale socks aftertaste. This is bad a pint is almost too much. Wouldn't have two. Not sure what this would pair with either. won't have it again.

06-14-2007 01:16:51 | More by Mebuzzard
Redwood21

3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

A: a very hazy straw color with a thin white head that seams to last a decent while. its a good looking witbier, but nothing that stands out
S: blueberries and yeast anyone? definatly some wheat as well and supposedly spiced with coriander but i pick up blueberry
T:def some more blueberry and yeast explosions going on. aside from that not a very strongly flavored beer.
M/D: very very dry, my mouth is still dry, im not sure why maybe it was just me. way too try for me and this style. decent medium to light body and relatively drinkable except after two i felt like my mouth was cotton

06-13-2007 23:14:50 | More by Redwood21
dickieb

Rhode Island

3.78/5  rDev +12.8%

A frind who spent last summer in the midwest had been talking about this, so i had to pick it up. Poors a hazy straw with a big white head. Smells pretty fruity with some wheat mixed in for good measure. The taste also sticks with the fruit and wheat theme from the noze, and finishes very crisp and clean. This beer was exceptionaly good hanging outside with some friends, very smooth, something a non beer drinker would appreciate, but appreciated by me as well

06-12-2007 01:31:54 | More by dickieb
Dalem

1.75/5  rDev -47.8%

I did not like it at all. Too much coriander, the citrus flavoring tasted artificial and left a real bad aftertaste. Reminded me of generic Froot Loops but not as good. After two bottles out of the six I gave up even attempting to see if the 3rd time was a charm. I'll usually always finish a six no matter how good or bad it is...Not in this case. I did not like it.

06-10-2007 20:51:10 | More by Dalem
geexploitation

2.3/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a cloudy, dirty gold color with virtually no head -- just a ring around the beer. Nothing too attractive. Aromas of lemon and a faint blueberry note that seems a bit unnatural to me (maybe it actually is all natural, I don't know, but it reminds me most of all of Booberry cereal). On the palate, this is way too sweet with a sugary cereal fruitiness, with only the barest of balancing wheat acidity and spiciness. The sweetness doesn't taste very honeylike -- it tastes refined. Mouthfeel is coating and a bit cloying -- not fresh and lively enough for the style. Overall, this is bad. Way too sweet, no freshness to balance it out. Use only as a safety beer, taken ice cold and from the bottle directly.

06-10-2007 18:50:32 | More by geexploitation
Domingo

Colorado

3.73/5  rDev +11.3%

Had this on tap at the Brewery Bar 4 in Lone Tree, CO.
I would've just passed it by, but I remembered the BA article from the front page a few months ago.
Arrived a pale yellow color that was a little more golden that a typical wheat or hefe. Not a bad looking beer at all.
Smell is where this one excels. Lots of citrus zing, maybe a little bit of coriander, and after reading the BA article...you can't miss the blueberry. I'm not sure I would've identified it prior to reading the article, but knowing it was there, I was almost at the point where I was calling it a blueberry beer.
Taste was a little sweeter than I expected. A lot of fruit-based wheat beers tend to smell like the fruit, but they don't really convey the flavor at all. This one certainly does. Blueberry, orange, and lime. It has the standard pale wheat grain flavor rather than a wit's sourness, but that's okay.
Mouthfeel's crisp and light. Would make a good summer quencher. I've noticed that some of the larger breweries tend to make a grainier wheat beer that feels a little too thick. This brew doesn't totally suffer from it, but it is there.
Drinkability was fine. There were no off flavors and it wasn't too sweet, so I don't see why I wouldn't want another. It paired pretty well with spicy food as well. The sweet and fruity edge was a nice counter balance. This is actually a good choice for Mexican restaurants, so I'm glad they had it.

Not a bad brew at all. Reminds me a little bit of a cross between the Sea Dog fruit beers and the New Belgium Skinny Dip. It's fruity, but with lime and spice mixed in.

06-04-2007 14:48:56 | More by Domingo
auxiliary

Rhode Island

3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

appearance - Cloudy yellow color, not much head, but skimmed the service.

smell - Wheat, and citrus in this one.

taste - Very fruity, wheat, crsip and clean.

mouthfeel - Light, fizzy,

drinkability - Nice summer beer. Didn't know this was a Witbier till I bought it.

06-03-2007 20:59:08 | More by auxiliary
jaxon53

Connecticut

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

Served slightly chilled in a pint glass from a twelve ounce bottle. Poured a hazy golden straw like color. About one good finger of thick, pillowy, bright white head formed. Head slowly faded into a thick white ring around the glass, and left a decent amount of sticky lace. Smell: A rather strong fruity aroma. Lots of citrus, orange, lemon, a touch of blueberry with a hint of wheat mostly hidden by all of the fruit. The taste was just as interesting. More orange, lemon zest, a little blueberry, with a lot more wheat than the nose had suggested. Mild carbonation. Quite out of balance. The fruit tones overwhelm the rest of the flavors. Thin and watery in the mouth, but very refreshing. Drinkability is pretty good.

06-03-2007 20:39:47 | More by jaxon53
BitteBier

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

Cloudy and slightly orangish yellow on the pour. The reasonably-sized cap of foamy, off-white head lingers pretty well. The smell is pretty straightforward with a neutral, wheaty base complemented by a bit of spice and some sweet citrus. It's that citrus that dominates the taste, which is lemony from start to finish. The underlying grains can't hold their own, which mutes what might otherwise be some interesting complexity. The mouthfeel is more clingy than I expect in this style, which is perhaps why that lemony sweetness lingers for so long. Goes down well, but a lack of balance hurts this one.

06-01-2007 01:36:47 | More by BitteBier
mdm46410

3.78/5  rDev +12.8%

On tap, poured into a tall weizen glass. Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a small head that quickly diminishes. Big citrus, orange aromas. The flavor is much of the same. The flavor could almost be described as O.J. mixed with a very light pale ale. Very light, very refreshing, Very light hops. The mouthfeel is light and watery. It is what it is. An above average witbier. If you need a decent beer to cool off after a long, sundrenched day, this will do the trick.

05-31-2007 04:14:21 | More by mdm46410
dcteas17

Missouri

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a bottle (6-pack) into a beer stein (I know, not ideal, but it's what I had at the moment). Sediment in the bottom of the bottle required some bottle rolling on the table to loosen. Pours an orangy-yellow with slight cloudiness, though less than I expected given the sediment. Head is fine and relatively thin with a slick coherence and little lacing.

Smells of a clean citrus and some berries - nothing too complex.

Tastes only slightly wheaty with those berries again - blueberry or raspberry in character. Goes down relatively easy with a slight hop bitterness to finish it off. Mouthfeel is modest in carbonation and a tad thin in feel, but not bad.

Overall, it's a tad above average. It's clearly not a Belgian, but it doesn't proclaim itself as one. Easy to drink, but there are better wheat choices I think - depending on how much you want to spend.

05-28-2007 21:07:30 | More by dcteas17
Dukeofearl

3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

Six pack for $8.99 (?) at LaBodega, in Riverside, CA., May 2007.

Poured into my Schneiderweiss tall Hefe glass, this cloudy yellow beer with a very bright white head kicks off a lot of fruity flavors- lemon of course, but also some berry stuff- almost like bubble gum that I would get as a kid. You know, the bubble gum that the advertisers claim "now with more fruit flavor", but no one ever asks- well, what fruits are they? I don't mean that badly, I actually like the aroma, because it brings back good memories. Once the fruit subsides, a definite light grain (wheat), almost lightly toasted nuts comes through. It's missing some of the spices (coriander and such) that are typical of witbier styel, but that's OK here.

Flavor, however, doens't really seem to carry all that through. The berry portion of the dominant note. And then I read that it's made with bluebarries, and it suddenly all makes sense. Yup, that's the stuff. Now, this is a better beer- I feel like Charlie Brown when he discovers something and yells out "THAT"S IT!").

The beer is a bit thin, but for the style, that's OK. And it allows this to be easily drinkable. A nice warm spring/summer drinker.

05-28-2007 19:30:09 | More by Dukeofearl
Damian

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

Drank on-tap at the Barking Crab, Boston, MA

Poured a cloudy, mustard yellow with no head but rather a thin, frothy white film of lace. Short-lived blankets of lacing tricked down the sides of the glass.

The aroma was smooth, fruity and quite fragrant. Citrus was noticeable along with candi sugar and subtle notes of blackberries and blueberries. As the beer warmed, the berry aroma became significantly stronger.

The taste was creamy, flavorful and refreshing. Rich, sweet malts and a general yeastiness were apparent up front. Citrus notes were noticeable mid-palate along with a mild yet pleasant berry flavor. A touch of lemony sourness carried into the clean, refreshing finish.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied and quite creamy with slightly less carbonation than is typical for the style. As for drinkability, this was an amazingly smooth and easy-drinking witbier.

Overall, I was quite impressed with this offering. It would be the perfect accompaniment to seafood on a hot summer day.

05-27-2007 02:45:50 | More by Damian
srrn

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a hazy straw yellow. I was expecting much more carbonation, on the lines of a Weizen. Smells of fruit, maybe blueberries. Not enough spice in this for me. Taste is like ginger ale or maybe citrus soda with blueberries in the finish. This is not an offensive beer in any way, just not enough of what I buy beer for, I'll stick with a Belgian Witte or Hefeweizen. This does not leace me wanting another immediately after the first,

I just had to alter the drinkability score on this but I'll let the other scores stand. Over an hour after drinking this beer I had a sort of medicinal sweet blueberry taste in my mouth, not pleasant and not leaving me with the desire to have another.

05-26-2007 00:54:49 | More by srrn
sleazo

1.5/5  rDev -55.2%

A- Pours a cloudy dark golden. Not much head leving a soapy slick. Minimum lacing.

S- wierdly like fruity pebbles. I haven't ever smelled a beer like this. Some coriander and pepper notes.

T- is very sweet with lots of fruit some citrus and a sickening aftertaste that is somewhat like fruity pebbles again. This is actually kind of gross.

M- is thin with a medium level of carbonation.

D low. The wierd flavours, smells and sweetness really put me off. I don't think I will have this again.

Edit-I didnt realize this was made with blueberries. I guess that explains things, but it is still gross. The fruit tastes artificial just like a kid's breakfast cereal.

05-23-2007 21:07:58 | More by sleazo
asabreed

2.93/5  rDev -12.5%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Kind of in between a hefe and a wit in color, with much haze but enough light to make it not cloudily opaque. The head is a thick and bright white which leaves some scraggly lacing in lines around the edge.

Smell: Mostly blueberry, and really, why? I'd prefer to see what the wheat and yeast do without a seemingly syrupy addition. Then there's a bit of lemon, sweetness, and not much else for the most part. The fruit aroma of the blueberries (and to me it seems like every brew with that berry this happens to) overshadows pretty much everything else.

Taste: A bit better here, with the yeast and wheat felt a little stronger, along with the tang of citrus and lemon. Finish is blueberry, wheat, slight hops, and slight citrus twang. Maybe a tad too sweet, but alas, it's summer I guess.

Mouthfeel: Not too bad, though I think the sweetness pushes out the carbonation to a detrimental effect. Still, not as sticky and coating as I'd anticipated.

Drinkability: I certainly wouldn't have picked up a 6-pack had I know it was going to be like this (more of a fruit beer than a hefe or wit), but I can see some people liking this, especially because of the weather.

05-22-2007 23:27:13 | More by asabreed
yourunclewalt

2.68/5  rDev -20%

Reviewing this one from memory (earlier today). ASMTD aside. There's little warning to indicate what this beer is; namely a blueberry brew. When I picked it up, I was expecting a Hefe. Not too far off. It's a wit, but a very, very, very blueberry wit. An earlier reviewer likened it to fruity pebbles. Yes, it is that sweet. It tastes like blueberry extract. That being said - it's not all that bad. There's enough of the wheat to balance in the aftertaste to make this a reasonably drinkable beer. If you like blueberry beers, this is a better than average example of the style. Unfortunately, if you're like me, and you don't like them, be warned. Although it doesn't explicitly mention it on the label, this is one blueberry for the record books. On the other hand, if you are like me - this will probably be one of the blues you can stomach that ill-gotten six pack of.

05-21-2007 06:38:49 | More by yourunclewalt
FenwaySquid

3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle, no dating of any kind, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange-yellow color. The head formed about 1-2 fingers and faded into a single layer of bubbles that retained nicely.

Aroma: A lot going on there. Hints of citrus, lemon and orange, some mediciny smells as well, and a little blueberry.

Taste: Wheat along with some sweet blueberries that got stronger throughout. The finish is blueberry and sticks around just a little too long.

Mouthfeel: Crisp but a little watery. The carbonation was in good balance though.

Overall: Well, it's definitely different, I'll give it that. The blueberries were a little too much for me, but I still found it enjoyable. This would definitely taste good late afternoon on a hot summer day. Worth a try for anyone who enjoys beer that's out of the ordinary, definitely worth it if you enjoy beer with fruit flavors. Basically, if you like Abita's purple haze, you'll probably like this.

05-21-2007 00:54:11 | More by FenwaySquid
ajmoody76

3.58/5  rDev +6.9%

bottle to pint glass. nice and cloudy. yellow/orange color. head is white with good retention. looks good.

definetly get orange and corriander. citrus elements are there. hops take a back seat. very fruity bouquet. no off odors appreciated.

citrus is the majority. the wheat does come through. the balance is definetly on the sweeter side. a mid-bodied beer with a dry orange aftertaste. no brussels lace.

nice beer to have on a warm day. not sure i could do a session with this beer. i might have to be sitting in the direct sun to pull it off. stays very close to style. it is available year round according to the website. i see myself only drinking this beer in the hot midwest summers.

05-20-2007 02:44:44 | More by ajmoody76
DogFood11

3.8/5  rDev +13.4%

12oz brown bottle. First time I've seen this as the wine house freshened their stock. I poured contents into a pilsner glass. Forms a meaty white head that has great retention. Cloudy unfiltered orange body.

Hey this is a damn fine brew if the first impression holds true. A bit on the floral and perfume side in the nose. Candied at times but there is a citrusy zip that holds it together. Blueberries are rather strong but other than that its hard to pull out any individual characteristics. Its rather a fruit punch type mix with the berries standing a length above the rest.

Notes: A very smooth and interesting offering. After two of these babies though it got old in a hurry. Not session worthy in this household simply because it feels a bit infused and candied flavors start to get annoying. But for one and done its above average at least.

05-18-2007 00:22:55 | More by DogFood11
argock

2.98/5  rDev -11%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass

A: Hazy golden with a foamy whitish head that sticks little

S: Coriander, berries, and tangy lemon dominate

T: Has the familiar vapory quality of a wheat, but the flavors are not altogether typical -- berries with not as strong orange and lemon and faint hops bitterness.

M: Too carbonated although I like the body

D: Probably hard to drink very many because of the fizz and the overly sweet berry quality. I like the hops touch though.

05-17-2007 01:47:34 | More by argock
diego

3.35/5  rDev 0%

It has a cloudy, light honey color and a sandy white head that doesn’t last to long and a strong citrus smell. There is too much carbonation. It drinks better than you would expect. There is a crisp orange taste on that familiar base of a wheat beer. It is best ice cold on a hot day.

05-16-2007 18:16:03 | More by diego
pmcadamis

2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

On tap at Buffalo Wildwings.

A - Cloudy and dark orange brew with a slightly orange tinted two finger head.

S - Citrus zest, with apple cider and juicy fruit aromas too.

T - Orange, apple, pear, fruity pebbles or fruit loops cereal. Way too fruity, but not as acidic and citric as in the bottled version.

M - Medium bodied (markedly fuller than the bottled version) with a much lower level of carbonation than in the bottles.

D - I still don't really like this, but it's far better on tap than in bottles.

05-16-2007 06:05:23 | More by pmcadamis
stereosforgeeks

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance: Pale orange color with a thin white head. Mild lacing.

Smell: Notes of orange, lemon, coriander, pepper, wheat, and yeast.

Taste: The taste is definitely sweet with oranges and lemons but it is balanced by the the pepper and other spices that are presence. There is a mild hop taste but it is subtle.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, light, refreshing.

Drinkability: Good beer for the beach.

05-15-2007 20:24:10 | More by stereosforgeeks