Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
1.83/5  rDev -45.5%

Poured a hazy honey-orange with a one finger head that dissipated quickly. Minimal carbonation and lacing.

Overwhelmed by the essence of an apricot air-freshener. Artificially over-the-top.

Tasted 180 degrees from any Witbier I've ever consumed. Extremely cloying and one-dimensional. Orange cough lozenge-like taste. Where's the wheat?

Flat and thin mouthfeel. Let's hope the sun permanently sets on this one.

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

A> hazy, dark yellow, lively, foamy head with little retention
S>Citrus, a wee bit metallic
T> Salty start, wheaty, spicy finish
M>Foamy, and thin
D> Easy like Sunday morning.
Really not so bad. Better than a whole heck of a lot of American Wheat beers, simply by attempting to have the spice of their German counterparts. Though I didn't rate it so high in many areas, it was pretty drinkable and gone without any grimacing.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

THE FRUIT LOOPS OF BEER!!! I love this stuff, nothing else out there tastes anything like it. It doesn't have the best head but you'll forget that as soon as it hits your tongue. The menagerie of fruits and beer blends perfectly into a concoction unlike any other. Definitely a warm weather beer and a definite conversation starter anywhere you go. If you ever see it, buy it!

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance - Yellow light amber in coloring, with a bit of a haze to provide a thought to an unfiltered offering. Carbonation is moderate feeding a slight head that resolves to a slight ring.

Smell - Didn't really have to "smell" far to catch the main fruity/berry aroma in this offering. Light nose with a good refreshing appeal.

Taste - Citrus abounds in this offering with a slight staw/grass background as well. Lemon presence with a smack of hop (barely) at the end.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation provides a bit of body to this, thankfully it adds somewhat of a more dense feel from a small wheat beer.

Drinkability - Let me preface this by saying I'm looking for a "summer beer" for the 2008 spring/summer season. The first time I had this offering was at a local eatery. I was impressed not from the standpoint of it being a "big bold" beer, but strickly from the perspective of it being a "quenching" beer for the dog days of summer.

I think I found my 2008 summer "lawnmower" beer.

3.33/5  rDev -0.9%

This was the only palatable brew from Leinenkugel I've found.

Hazy yellow, big white foam head. Smells of yeast, spices, and citus.

The taste is pleasant, introducing some wheat tones with the characteristic yeast and spice contents. For the price, it's a decent example of the style. A bit watery, though.

It isn't what I'd call an outstanding beer, but then again, I am not a huge fan of wheat beers. As usual, Leinenkugel's delivers a higher quality beer than what you would expect from a mass production.

It has a nice, clean fruity aroma as well as taste. It almost reminds me of Fruity Pebbles, which can be satisfying, but a little disturbing.

3.55/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass and immediately noticed how absolutely AMAZING this beer smelled. It was a huge cirtus-y rush of fruit and coriander mixed with an almost bubble-gum like aroma. The beer itself pours a hazy golden color with a thicker head than the other wheat beers I've been reviewing lately. Looks fairly average and smells tremendous. Very, very fruity. Unfortunately. . .I've never been a fan of fruity type beers, I'm hoping this would prove me wrong.

As far as taste goes, the other reviewers have said it best - it's like drinking the milk after eating a bowl of Fruit Loops. It's far too sweet for my liking to be drinking it as a session beer and tasted a little too fruity for me to ever buy a six pack, but I do understand where witbier fans would LOVE this product. I'm just not a witbier fan, so I have to objectively give this an average rating, I've had better and I've had worse.

Mouthfeel is average. Slight carbonation, not enough to make any noticeable difference in taste, but definitely enough to leave it hopping around in your mouth. No bitterness at all and an excellent seasonal taste.

Drinkability is difficult for me to rate here, because I think this beer is too sweet to be drinking more than one BUT it goes down so easily that drinking more than one isn't much of a problem. There seems to be a bit too much coriander for my liking also and I had that aftertaste lingering in my mouth for a bit.

It really doesn't taste like a beer, which I suppose could be good, but I'm still really, really wavering on this one. I don't suppose I'll be buying this again anytime soon, but I could see myself drinking it once in a while. All in all, a slightly above average beer. . .but only in small doses.

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%

A: Hazy, typical yellow, pillowy head.

S: fruits, cloves, citrus

T: Very bold spice/fruit taste. Pleasant. Lemon, orange, clove.

M: A bit sweet, but nice on the back end. Finished clean.

D: Easy to have more than one, but, might be too sweet for a session beer for me. I will buy again.

2.3/5  rDev -31.5%

i like most of the beers from Leiney. this one was too fruity for my tastes. looked good with good carbonation and head. had some lace but not a lot (i think this was hurt by the glass). while i think this is a quality beer it was just too fruity and citrussy (is that a word?) for my taste.

giblet

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a cloudy, hazy golden color. Good amount of head that settles slowly.

S- I'm picking up a lot of citrus on this one. Mainly orange and lemon then maybe a little bit of wheat or ceral smell.

T- Coriander jumps out at me here along with the lemon and orange flavours here. Very nice and balanced here. I like the taste.

M- Pretty bold for this style of beer but feels nice. Nice carbonation goes down easy.

D- Very easy to drink. Can easliy put these down. Don't really care for the orange slice they put in my glass. Put overall nice and easy a good fun brew. I really enjoyed this one different but also very good and nice.

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A light, golden color with some cloudiness with minimal head and some lacing down the glass. A tart citrus smell mixed with lighter fruits like berry and even a hint of tropical fruits. The taste is similiar to the smell with the yeast/wheat making for a pale but enjoyable and smooth brew. There is minimal spicing in this beer, which complemented it. A nice beer to have on tap, but for the witbier/wheat beer drinker there are better offerings.

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

The beer pours a cloudy dark yellow with a fluffy cap of foam that left a small amount of lacing down the glass. Strong berries, anise and grapefruit were a surprise in the aroma. The flavor is somewhat similar with sweet berries and tangy lemon, the wheat influence is also noticeable. The beer is light on the palate and slightly carbonated. The fruitiness of the beer was a bit more than I expected, it is almost reminiscent of fruity candy.

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

A: I love cloudy unfiltered wheat beers. This one has a peach color with cloudy unfiltered consistency. Poured an thick quickly diminishing white head.

S: As soon as I opened the bottle I could smell raspberries coming from the opening. As I poured the smell only got stronger and orange and yeast joined in to provide a medley of great smelling beer.

T: After the look and smells were so good I had great expectations. I was seriously upset to get a very sour taste like soured oranges or lemon. I tried to understand what the brewer was trying to do with the taste in the beer but couldn't figure out why someone would create a beer that looks and smells so delicious and then to do a 180 and have the beer taste sour. The aftertaste is of raspberries and cream but the front sour taste really spoiled it for me.

M/D: I will finish this six pack off and probably will not buy this one again. It has average mouthfeel considering it is suppose to be a sour beer like a lambic but could be improved upon.

2.25/5  rDev -33%

I am a fan of the Leinenkugel line but man I was a bit dissapointed when I tried this one. It was a cloudy orange color with a decent head and smelled extremly citrusy but in a fake way. The whole flavor was too artificial for me. Wont be buying this one again.

2.95/5  rDev -12.2%

This is an odd beer. Other than basically being a "generic US" beer, it allegedly has some heffe-traits at base, and a mild head with slightly more carbonation than most true "wheat beers."

The odditiy of this offering is the very apparent CORIANDER flavor. Apparently it has been a historic beer-additive in some cultures and beers, but not at all my preference.

However-- the remaining 3 bottles sat for a month or longer, until one day we were having grilled salmon with dill and capers. Suddenly I had the urge for the Sunset Wheat! I knocked off the rest of them, with the dinner-- perfect.

Every beer has its place. This one is in special circumstances-- but definitely not for casual everyday drinking, I think I would puke, amd my wife feels the same.

3.33/5  rDev -0.9%

Orange wheat colored body is very hazy and dense. Head is a very light tan that comes to about two fingers. A bit of scattered lace is left as it fades. Nose has intense notes of fresh opened orange with a bit of spicey zest laced in. Enters the mouth very creamy and quickly brings to mind orange cream. Wheat feel is very faint. Twords the back of the palate as the beer leaves the tongue you get a hint of citrus based cleaner. Mouthfeel is short and fuzzy but mostly clean. kind of comes off as a beer the wife would like to me but it is really nicely drinkable and a decent summer brew.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Pint from Miller's Ale House - East Boca Raton, FL

A: Pours a dull, cloudy yellow with a short white head. The foam does not linger long.
S: Very fruity on the nose with raspberry dominating over citrus. A touch of hops balances this wheat brew out and, I have to admit, I was looking forward to the taste.
T/M: The wheat pokes through with the raspberry, again dominating. Hints of lemon, the mild hops, medium-light body, and 4.9% ABV make this a great summer day beer. If you like the mildly fruity stuff, you could even call it a session brew. Fantastic for what it is.
D: Didn't expect so much fruitiness, but was pleasantly surprised. Spring training, South Florida in the sun, bring some Sunset Wheat.

2.95/5  rDev -12.2%

This is a fruity beer meant for casual summer drinking. I picked up a six-pack and pouring into a beer glass, it was highly carbonated and smelled sticky-sweet and fruity.

While this is one of Lienenkugel's better summertime offerings, this beer really isn't anything special to write home about.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Saw this in a mixed 12 pack of other Leinies beers.

Color: Cloudy golden color with a decent fluffy head that fades down to a one-finger head, sticking to the sides of the glass.

Aroma: Coriander, orange peel and a bit of berry. Smooth and refreshing to the nose. Probably helps that it's served at room temperature.

Taste: Starts out somewhat thin and then the coriander, orange peel and berry flavors start to make themselves known. Some hop bitterness upfront. A second sip confirms the same thing.

Mouthfeel: Hop bitterness lingers at the back of the throat. No other flavors are present.

Verdict: This beer seems drinkable at first based on the aroma but I feel that it falls flat once you drink it. It's still very drinkable and would make a good summer beer.

I would still encourage someone to try this beer just for the sake of trying different beers.

1.88/5  rDev -44%

Why would anyone want to taste a beer that tastes like this?
I was intrigued to try this beer for 2 reasons 1) it was on sale at the A and P for 6.99 a six pack
2) it had a decent rating on here.

Wow. This stuff is awful.
Maybe my mistake was that I had a Southern Tier Matt and Phinn's Extrodinary ale about 20 minutes before it.
If you put a citus urinal cake in a coors lite, that is what it would taste like.

Maybe, just maybe in the middle of a hot hot day it might be refreshing.. maybe.

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

I've been waiting to try this for some time because my teammate encouraged me to try it out. How will I see it? On to the beer:

What is this exactly? I really want to like it, but I see it as a mediocre beer with high refreshment potential. Fruity Pebbles and blueberry are the most prevailing flavors with a rush of carbonation. I wonder how this would pair with a plate of blueberry pancakes.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This stuff taste just like Fruity Pebbles, of which I am a fan of. The taste is so fun. I like this beer for some reason. I would drink this all the time but it would probably make me sick! The mouthfeel is thin but fun.

Overall, this is a neat find. I like it! :-)

3.7/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Cloudy, straw color with little head, overall a pleasing appearance.

S - Definitely a hint of citrus along with a wheat smell.

T - When it first hits the mouth I can taste the citrus, finished off by a slight wheat taste, although I think the citrus overwhelms the taste overall.

M - The beer was pretty smooth overall, but a little too much carbonation for my taste.

D - I like this beer for the most part. I would most definitely drink another one in the future.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

a friend of mine suggested I should try this beer. to my surprise it was a very flavorful beer with a golden color and fruity spin. as one of my friends dubbed it the "fruit loop" beer. and i think she is quite right. although not overly fruity as some i have tried, this is a nice blend of beer with a citrus twist.

Draft in a pint glass.

A - Cloudy yellow with little head. I was a little annoyed with the orange wedge. Brewed with fruit, ok but not served with it.

S - Sweet and fruity.

T - Fruity and really smooth.

M - Light bodied and good carbonation.

D - Great beer with a really good clean finish.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company