Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
2.14/5  rDev -36.3%

"beer with natural flavors" is typically not a good omen. this is my second "Leinie" and it must undertake the task of compensating for the horrible one i last tasted (cherry wheat, i think)

well, it's cloudy. and the head is reasonable

smell heavily of artificially-flavored soda. orange and nectarine and the like. it doesn't smell bad, just unlike what i typically want my beers to smell like. oh gross, and it doesn't taste any better. that's shite...and down the drain it goes

4.07/5  rDev +21.1%

A- Pours a murky yellow, opaque to say the least. 1.5 finger white head. Disperses quickly, but not too quickly. Lacing remains much longer.

S- Fruity (doesn't smell as artificial as some say), wheaty, some hops.

T- Citrus and wheat. The comment about the fruitiness of the smell goes for the taste...not that artificial to me. When I think artificial, I think SA Cherry Wheat, and this is far from it. Although the brewer says there are blueberries, I taste none. The bitterness from the hops kicks up at the end for a smooth finish.

M- A little on the carbonated side, but I personally don't mind it. Not too thin, not too thick.

D- Very light, not filling, drinkable beer.

2.08/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Brown bottle, no date. Served in weizen glass.

A- Standard wheat beer presentation: cloudy dark yellow. Head is off-white and fairly creamy, though not thick.

S- Faux fruit is the first thing that hits you. There's the normal citrus of a wheat underneath, but it is over-powered by a pungent candy-berry smell; think Trix, Fruit Loops, or as some reviews have said Skittles.

T&M- If you concentrate there are the underpinnings of a solid wheat beer. It's a little hoppy and there are nice citrus undercurrents, but not too much of either. A bit of a peppery bite to boot. Unfortunately the fruit additive smell means a fruit additive taste that really overwhelms the tongue. Mouth feel is good, though: not too thin not too heavy with just the right amount of carbonation.

D- If you can get past the extract enhanced fruit taste this would make a good session beer.

Had I taken the extra 30-second to read the packaging where it says "Natural Flavors" I would have left this beer in the store because such a vague tag rarely implies something good. It seems a lot of reviewers had no problem and enjoyed the vague berry taste. Maybe I got a bad six-pack because the smell/taste is so overpowering. I've tried this beer over two different sessions hoping that the second time around, being prepared for the smell/taste I'd be able to enjoy the beer and think of the fruitiness as secondary to it. I was wrong, but on the up side I was able to get over the shock and find that without the additional flavors I could see myself returning to this as a very drinkable go-to wheat. However, just the thought of drinking the two I have left from my six-pack makes my stomach turn. If you like extract boosted fruit beers and wheat beers maybe this one is for you. If you aren't into the fruity, then steer clear.

4.07/5  rDev +21.1%

Good looking wheat beer. Looks hazy yellow-orange with a nice head. It smells like Fruit Loops and/or Skittles. It smells so good that it makes me think that there's some sort of crazy fruit additive in this beer. A little bit of malt and wheat and tons of fruit flavor. Good carbonation and texture and quite easy to drink.

Now I think other wheat beers such as Bell's Oberon and German Hefeweizens create fruity taste without the help of added ingredients. I don't know what Leinenkugel's does to get that great fruit taste but it tastes very good. So what if they cheat, I guess. They'll get a good score from me regardless.

3.41/5  rDev +1.5%

Had this beer on tap at Doyles Cafe in Jamaica Plain.

Poured into a pint glass very nicely with a light yellow and very cloudy color. The head is dense and remains for most of the drink.

Smell is citrusy and a little bubblegum.

Taste follows the smell somewhat. Very big bubblegum flavor. The taste reminds me of Orange crush. Finishes with just a very small hint of hops for some bitter. Would have liked a bit more of a grain flavor. I little too fruity.

My wife said she didn't like the flavor but ended up drinking quite a few anyway. That tells me that it is quite drinkable. Much better summer offering than November when I drank it.

4.63/5  rDev +37.8%

A most interesting beer....

Having had a sampling of 6 beers last night, 2 of which were wheat ales and another was a heffenweisen. This one truly stood out above the other both in it's class and outside of it. It was unique while still remaining palatable.

Appearance: golden color, mild cloudy, but quite visually appealing.

Smell: Nice aroma though my nose didn't seem to be taking in the scents very well last night.

Taste: Wow...is Christmas a flavor? I described this to my wife as 'drinking a Christmas pie' but unlike so many spice drinks. This beer does not equate festive flavor with overly sickening sweet spiced liquid as so many spice beers & wines do. No, this beer is very well balanced in flavor, body, & sweetness.

There was a fruity aspect to this beer, almost akin to the sweet smell of oranges (without the citrus nature). Then you have the coriander. Having tried another wheat ale this evening that also included coriander in it's ingredient list. While the other took subtlety to a fault. The Leines Sunset brought enough flavor from the spice to be a highlight while stopping right before it'd start to overwhelm the rest of the beer.

It was as if this beer had 5 stages. The initial contact, followed by the wheat ale flavor, then the coriander hit. This was followed by a warmth that just made me want an orange. Lastly I was left with a very mild sweet hop remnant.

Mouthfeel: very nice feel on the tongue. Not too thick and sweet, nor to thin and watery. Had a nice coat but not a heavy lingering.

Drinkability: Decent drinkability, the feel of the beer makes it easy to drink. However, being a spiced beer you always have that potential of having just too much flavor. I'd really have to see how the drinkableness is on the second glass. But the first glass should be quite drinkable.

3.87/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a nice golden amber color from the bottle with a medium white head that fades fairly quickly. The aroma is nice with hints of blueberry and banana under a thick wheat malty smell. The taste is just the same, which is something I like about this beer. It tastes exactly as it smells. Hints of banana and blueberry underneath a rich wheat malty flavor. The aftertaste is sweet and hoppy which is a nice finish. It has a great mouthfeel and is a very drinkable beer, just not too many of them.

4.12/5  rDev +22.6%

Pours cloudy, has a slight zesty yeasty smell. It's pleasantly sweet, and the kind of sweet that comes from the yeast they are using (it's not unbalanced or anything like that). I can not get enough of this beer. Not too heavy or hoppy, this is a good gateway beer for friends that stick to MSBs like Bud Lite, etc. could get into.

4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

A nice flavorful offering from Leinenkugel, Sunset Wheat is a good treat to enjoy to beat the summer heat, or kick back with a hearty Fall meal. I most recently had one on tap today with a good batch of chicken wings, and it complemented the wings well. The pale wheat has a golden-orange color and a foamy white head. The citrus aroma is joined well in its taste, with orange and a hint of lemon coming forth as I drank it. The carbonation is a little high for me, but the flavor is solid, and the beer is easy to consume. I've had several while watching baseball games in the summer, and it goes well with wings (which I've done twice). Worth a try, and one of the best that Leinenkugel brews.

4.97/5  rDev +47.9%

What an awesome beer! Just recently tried this one for the first time, and was immediately hooked! Although taste is subjective, this really does taste like fruit loops - no joke! It has such a distinct flavor and smell that after buying a sixer, I ran back to the liquor store the next day to grab another one... A terrific example of a truly unique witbier... I could drink this all day - it's that drinkable, with a nice cloudy-yellowish appearance that perfectly complements it's sweet, bubble-gum, aromatic flavor... Definitely try this one... don't think you'll be dissapointed... This is without a doubt one of my favorites.... got this for only $6.99 for a six-pack, which is relatively inexpensive compared to some other more well known samples out there... Certainly one of my all-time favorites!

A - Poured a hazy yellow color with a bubbly white head that settles to just cover the surface

S - Kinda like a bowl of Fruit loops

T - A little wheaty with lots of citrus

M - Feels a little watery with quite a bit of carbonation

D - This is very drinkable I could drink this all night

3.04/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Yeasty golden orange with a quarter inch frothy head that stuck around for a while. Fades to pale yellow with rising suds.

S - Delicious blueberry scent which overpowers just about everything else. It smells fresh too, not like an artificially flavored scent.

T - A bit sour, but the citrus flavors almost balance this out. Yeasty profile with a bit of an aftertaste that reminds me of sun tan lotion.

M - Has mild carbonation and an oily feel to it, not entirely pleasant.

D - It's harder to get through the warmer it gets, I don't think I could do more than one. An interesting idea overall, and possibly great for someone who enjoys Blue Moon, but this was not for me.

3.87/5  rDev +15.2%

The beer leaps from the 12-ounce bottle a fuzzy lemon yellow with a portly creamy white head that lingers long, finally, the lace gets to put on its show with a nice coating to surround the glass. Nose has a nice fresh wheat bread aroma, sweet with a citrus like crispness, a touch of orange peel, with a lemon twist. Start has a mild wheat presence; a trace of bitterness at the back, top is light to middling in feel. Finish has steady acidity with the mild hops adding a bit of twang, somewhat sweet and certainly dry aftertaste finishes the beer, a nice refreshing brew tis' true.

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%

I could do this review in two words, but that's not very descriptive. Okay let's just call it "fruity pebbles" yep that's what I got that vibe the whole time I drank this beer from aroma to all the flavors flowing. Appears a unfiltered pale golden hazy peach hue large bright white head chunky textured rises well above the rim of my glass, lace is sporadic and uneven but it's clinging. Aroma has citrus rolling lemonade accents with a mild chalky atrificial berry swetness with the mixture of grain and artificial flavoring I get fruity pebbles. Flavor chalky creamy citrus with mild herbal tones and blueberry extract sweetness coming in again with that signature fruity pebbles vibe, dry powdered cream finish. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied with a creamy spritzy carbonation flowing, wow that's a strange texture but goes down. Drinkability is decent not a whole sixer but one or two really get you in the mood for a bowl of Fruity Pebbles, yabba dabba belch.

4.15/5  rDev +23.5%

I don't know if it's just too many guys out there that are trained not to like "fruity" tasting beers or what, but I seem to be on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to opinions on this beer. I think it is one of Leinie's best, and I'm glad to see some bars have this to choose from over the usual boring lagers.

A - Nice head which settles slowly. It has that classic cloudly witbier look with more of a orange tint that most.

S - Wonderful fruity, citrus aroma.

T - Fruit and whatever yeast strain was used definetly dominate. This is a beer you can really get into debate as to what flavors are noticed. There are various fruit flavors that can be noticed, particularly blueberry, orange, and lemon, possibly even some coriander. I can see where some may classify at as a fruit loops/cereal flavor, but its not really what I pick up on. If you are looking for the hops or even the malt, you will have a hard time. Like I said the yeast profiles dominate along with the fruit.

M - Probably a bit on the overcarbonated side. But it does get balanced a bit by that nice witbier creamy mouthfeel.

D - This really depends on your preferences. While I do like this beer quite a bit, the dominating fruit flavors do make it one that I tend to only be able to have 2 of in a session at the most.

2.98/5  rDev -11.3%

A- 3in mean chunky white batter-like foam atop a hazy golden-orange brew. head becomes soapy and swiss cheese forming a 1/8in disk and staying there.

S- smarties, good n plenty mike n ike candy bubble gum citrus wheat and grain.

T- grape/watermelon/bubblegum candy maybe artificial? VERY BUBBLEGUM! tastes like high quality candy sweet/sour throughout with wheat, lots of wheat, yeast white bread, biscuit, sour saltine cracker, and sprite.

MF- soda pop consistency, powdery bazooka gum feeling, meduim carbonation, refreshing and thirst quenching.

D- as far as witbiers go, this is good, but it lacks that traditional feeling, it seems so macro with its artificial flavorings i just can't dig it. but it drinks like pop and if you're thirsty this will definitely do it for ya.

4.77/5  rDev +42%

I will have to say this is one of my favorite beers. It pours a beautiful hazy typical witbier color. The smell of this beer is the most unique i've come across. Some say artificial or fruity pebbles, i just say damn good and fruity. Taste is more of the same with a musty yeastiness and lemon and orange, tasty! Overall this has to be one of the most drinkable, quaffable, thirst-quenching and AFFORDABLE beers around. A great stab at the style and a classic in the making!! At 5.99 a sixer, there is no going wrong here! Outstanding!

4.12/5  rDev +22.6%

This is a great beer. Picked up one from ABC amongst a handful of others. Pours very nicely with a decent lace and nice head, had the classic witbier cloudiness. Smells very wheaty and fruity, specifically blueberry and lemon. Tastes very similar to how it smells, very fruity. Decent mouthfeel, and very drinkable.

1.65/5  rDev -50.9%

I have this thing where i like beer. ALL beer. I like ale, lager, Belgian, German, English, dark, light, hoppy, malty, sweet, bitter, sour, spicy, whatever. I've had good examples of darn near every style of beer on earth.

Which is why i'm so surprised that i hated this beer so much. HATED it. This is literally only the second beer i've ever tasted that i could not finish because it was so bad it had to be poured down the drain. The other? Cave Creek Chili Beer, which we all know is a joke beer not even meant to be consumed except by poor college frat pledges being hazed.

It was not skunked nor oxidized nor infected. Rather, it tasted like someone took Widmer Hefeweizen and soaked a bowl of Fruit Loops in it for about a day. Some sort of sick alcopop kind of thing going on here, with cheap imitation fruit flavors. Poorly imitated fruit flavors.

Just gross and i will never touch it again. I'm gettin the shakes just thinking about my experience with this beer.

3.64/5  rDev +8.3%

I had this beer while on National Guard duty in Wisconsin on the recommendation from the barkeep. When it came with a slice of orange I was a little on the iffy side but I was pleasantly surprised. Has the smell of Fruity Pebbles. Goes down very smooth. If you're a fan of wheat beers then you have to give this one a shot.

3.82/5  rDev +13.7%

When poured, the color was of an hazy wheat yellow with a reddish hue. The smell was really different than any wheat ale that I've had in quite awhile. The smell was of yeast, wheat, citrus and what blows my mind, Pastry. Yes, I thought I was in a bakery, smelling pastries.

The taste was of a bitter/sweet nature, with a hint of citrus, wheat, yeast and pastry. This is a really different wheat beer. It's so different, that I kind of like it. I felt that I was drinking a liquid donut! Wow, is that different or is that different. Donuts?

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

On tap at On Tap Pub. The beer is a hazy light amber/orange color with a thin off-white head. Minimal lacing throughout. The aroma is akin to Fruity Pebbles. Light-bodied and smooth with sweet fruit and spice flavors, along with a bit of wheat. The finish is sweet with a mild clove aftertaste. Not as sugary sweet as the aroma would lead you to believe but still just an average beer.

2.12/5  rDev -36.9%

Appearance- A cloudy yellow straw color with bright white head that sticks around for a limited time but manages to leave some brussels lace.

Smell- oddly enough, blueberries hits me first followed by some wheat/a grainy cereal-like smell.

taste- It's not typical for me to give out such a low score on taste... although the taste was certainly not terrible, I just simply don't like it. It tastes like the left over milk from a bowl of boo-berry (minus most of the milk properties, but not all). Now don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of boo-berry, franken-berry, and count chocula, but I wouldn't want any of my beers to taste like them. While boo-berry flavored milk sums up most of this beer's flavor profile there is the small addition of a bit of bubble gum. Simply not a good combination.

Mouthfeel - about right for the style... the style being a flavored american wheat beer and not a witbier, as listed of course.

Drinkability- Normally a beer of this nature would almost automatically score higher in this category. However, the boo-berry qualities really distract and annoy my palate. I don't really agree with listing this as a witbier. Although there are some certain similarities in taste, this seems inbetween styles, but closer to an american wheat... just not a very good one. Was looking forward to this one after reading about it in Yankee Brew news, but ended up dissappointed.

4.02/5  rDev +19.6%

Translucent sun golden body, fluffy off-white creamy head with some small bubbles. Decent retention and lace.
Sweet creamy lemon scent dominates the nose, crisp and fresh.
The taste is equally sweet and lemony wth a hint of pepper and other spices. The aftertaste is a citric twist with some hops and pepper.
Medium to full body, slight coating and drier than I thought it would be.
The drinkability is clearly high. Sweet, fresh citrus and low abv. Great post-mowing summer beer.

-Oelergud

3.21/5  rDev -4.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. pours a hazy apricot with a couple fingers of white head that remains for a couple minutes.

smells strongly of citrus and coriander. little else. almost overwhelming in concentration. orange and lemon dominate the aroma, while a bit of peach is mixed in as well. no real beer characteristics to the aroma, only fruit and coriander.

taste is more of the same. coriander adds a distict character to the brew, but overall there is too much citrus and coriander, overpowering any chance of malts or hops to show through.

mouthfeel is light to medium-bodied with a CO2 bite and a very sweet character.

drinkability is decent. this brew will be loved by fans of citrus and coriander flavors, but for little else. balance is biased heavily to the sweet side, but no malts are present. everything in moderation Leinie's, everything in moderation.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company