Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
PBRstreetgang

2.42/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured a pale golden-orange and very cloudy. Thin white head of tight bubbles shows weak retention but leaves nice big whisps of sticky lace. The nose is of orange-scented pine-sol; the lager yeast seems to have stripped this of the normal ale aromas and replaced it with a strange interpretation of orange rind, faint wheat, distant crystal malt and an odd acetaldehyde note. Sweet upfront with wheat and light crystal malt on the tip of the tounge. The citrus flavor kicks in with a vengence and brings some pineapple and cherry esters with it. Graham crackers and citrus hold on well into the drying aftertaste. A passable balance is achieved with mildly fruity american hop flavor and a muted bitterness. This sure is one wierd Wit.... a lot of unexpected flavors to sort out - but I won't say I don't like brewer's pushing the boundaries. The lighter mouthfel is given texture from the wheat and the medium carbonation seems snappy and lively probably due to some acetaldehyde action. Finishes somewhat candyish- a bit too sweet and overly fruity, I can't say it would be the best summer guzzler; but perhaps the brewers will tweak the recipe and end up with a cool concept brew.

03-20-2007 07:25:06 | More by PBRstreetgang
cruland

1.38/5  rDev -58.8%

Terrible beer... if you can call it that. It was like drinking fermented pop. I generally like Leine but this was just an awful one to try and finish. Almost no head, any foam at the beginning fizzed away in seconds like a club soda. Doesn't even taste like hops were used in making it.

03-20-2007 00:56:48 | More by cruland
bobinverted

1.48/5  rDev -55.8%

Two words... BOO BERRY! This just needs some marshmallows and it'd be the perfect kid's beer! Seriously it's that bad! I usually LOVE witbier, but I'm thinking about pouring this one down the sink! The sickeningly sweet blueberry bubblegum aftertaste is making wish I was drinking something better like, I hate to say it, bud light! Yeah Sunset Wheat is almost that bad!

03-18-2007 19:39:52 | More by bobinverted
riversider76

3.8/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a cloudy yellow with an orange hue. Fluffy white head, with good retention,and lacing. Smell is of citrus,and spice. Nice, but a bit weak. Body is light to medium,and carbonated. Taste is of orange cream,and spice. Sweet, but with a nice edge in the finish. This is a good version of this style.

03-17-2007 23:53:26 | More by riversider76
benito

Oregon

2.85/5  rDev -14.9%

Leinie's Honey Weiss was the beer that made me start liking beer, so I knew it was only a matter of time before I found myself trying their Sunset Wheat. Like many of the Leinie's beers, my fondness for them is mostly subjective and nostalgic, as I know that they're not great beers--the Creamy Dark is an exception, and Sunset Wheat (which I plan to drink plenty of this summer) is no exception.

It's a good looking wit with a long-lasting white head; the bouquet is dominated by blueberry and lemon. Unfortuantely, the two fruits don't ever mesh well in the flavor, and the overall result is a little too sweet and sugary. It's in the mouthfeel that this clash is really distracting. As far as spices go, there's a light peppery note, and I struggle to find any coriander.

Overall, this isn't a bad beer (my irrational love for Leinie's made me write that), but it's not a great one either. There are many, many better American wits.

Take a pass. Unless you're on a lakeshore in Wisconsin this July. It'll work just fine then.

03-17-2007 22:45:07 | More by benito
mcallister

3.78/5  rDev +12.8%

Pale orangish/yellow obviously unfiltered with a pure white head that is highly carbonated, thin fine lace, with little retention.

Well I had this in bottle at the release at the Miller distributor I work for and the first thing I said was "fruity pebbles". Yes one of my favorite cereals growing up so this hits the spot. So much fruit going on in the nose of this beer it's really hard to pinpoint any one particular. Nice though but quit different.

Honestly the most fruity beer I've ever had. I like it. It's refreshing, easy drinking, good carbonation, and leaves you thinking. What the hell is this beer. Hard to even describe. Orange, berry, lemon, etc..etc. Name a fruit it may be in here.

03-16-2007 18:39:11 | More by mcallister
dizheafta

New Hampshire

4.22/5  rDev +26%

I stopped by a local store in Concord NH and to my surprisement they carried a good selection for being NH, I bought a six pack of this along with some others and this is a very good wheat beer. Its almost as good as the flying goose's wheat beer.They have an awesome wheat beer that is no comparison.

03-15-2007 23:07:15 | More by dizheafta
HoustonTX

3.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a cloudy golden, lots of haze. Loads of carbonation, press upwards creating a stable white head. Smell has lemons, blueberries, some fruity yeast esters. All melding together to create a bubblegum reminiscent scent. Fruity pebbles is dead on.

Now for the taste. Taste once again has a large amount of blueberries. The good quality about them is they taste like fresh squeezed blueberries. With almost a darker fruit quality about them? Say maybe, raspberries? Taste is almost exactly like the smell, and produces a fruity pebbles flavor indefinitely. Wheat presence is low, as is malt. However it's definitely there providing balance. Finishes with a delicate fruit note on your tongue, and wheat in the back of your palate.

This is a dangerously drinkable summer beer. An excellent gateway beer, and all around a tasty beverage. I'd recommend this one.

03-15-2007 18:16:34 | More by HoustonTX
dspell13

Iowa

4.75/5  rDev +41.8%

Bought this on a whim. I'm a big wheat beer fan. I had no idea how great this stuff would taste. Pours cloudy golden with a thick head, like a Bavarian wheat, which was quite surprising. Very, very drinkable. A fruity overtone but by no means overwhelming.

Warning: It could be very easy to drink bottle after bottle of this stuff, if you consider that a bad thing.

03-14-2007 20:07:12 | More by dspell13
Hibernator

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat
12 oz brown bottle
Jet ink #05287 B12034
Served in a Schneider Weisse glass

Pours a cloudy mustard yellow with a fluffy white head. The head leaves puffy trails of sticky lace on the side of the glass.

Big whiffs of blueberry juice, citrus fruits and wheat.

A juicy fruit profile greets the palate with flavors of orange, lemon zest, blueberry juice & coriander. I'm amazed at how similiar the taste of this beer is with Fruity Pebbles cereal. It's refreshing with a dry wheat profile, but the super fruity and artifical flavors detract from my overall enjoyment.

This brew may have some crossover appeal and will certainly become more enjoyable as the weather warms, but I'll likely find many other beers to choose from.

03-12-2007 22:15:24 | More by Hibernator
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev -6.6%

Cloudy yellow-orange wheat on tap at Buffalo Raceway Brewfest. Moderately cidery aroma. Sourness aggressive carbonation and drying. Average drinkability. Medium to lighter mouthfeel, with a bit of fruit and wheat in here.A summer beer served by surprise at the end of winter, and not too unwelcome.

03-12-2007 04:48:05 | More by Sammy
HugoGrim

3.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass.

Unfiltered wheat beer/ hefe look. Minimal head.

Fairly intense citrus aroma. Strong lemon with orange on the side.

Sweet wheat and grain, with edges of lemon and orange make up the flavor. There was something else I couldn't put my finger on, then after reading a bit about this beer I found out it's blueberry, which is interesting for this style. After finding this now I can't not taste the blueberry. Faint Belgian spices are also detectable.

As is the style this brew is very drinkable. A bit heavy on the citrus though for my taste. I'm sure this is served on tap with a giant orange slice on the glass, which would just put it over the edge into complete overkill. A little lighter on the fruit, and a bit heavier on the wheat and I could really get into it. It has peaked my interest into looking for other Leinenkugel brews.

03-11-2007 23:10:48 | More by HugoGrim
BoozySmurf

4.1/5  rDev +22.4%

Served on tap at PJW in Blue Bell. Cloudy and opaque in appearance with a thin white collar of foam. Aroma was citrusy and with a hint of blueberries. The flavor was mild by witbier standards, almost like a hoegaarden mixed with an american pale wheat ale. There was a definite fake froot loops quality in the flavor as well. Not bad, not good, just present. Oh and of course there was the lovely blueberry taste as well. Very pleasant unless you dislike blueberries I suppose. Mouthfeel was light, crisp and went down smoothly. If by chance I ever see this beer again it would drink well on a warm summer evening. Nice job.

03-11-2007 04:39:32 | More by BoozySmurf
Butch

Mississippi

3.38/5  rDev +0.9%

To tell the truth, I could sum this one up in three words: “Fruity Pebbles Cereal.” I challenge anyone to take a smell and a drink and not think of fruity pebbles.

A: Slightly cloudy, but not opaque. Nice color, aptly named beer.
S: As I said; Fruity Pebbles. There’s other stuff there, but I can’t get paste that insane amount of faux fruit.
T: Similar to the smell. A bit of that mass-produced staleish aftertaste, but nothing off-putting.
M: A good beer to enjoy on a warm day.
D: Same as above.

Notes: I bought a sixer on a whim and although it’s not great, I don’t regret it. I’m sure they’ll be gone well before they get close to going bad. Hell, I’m sure they’ll be gone well before the days start getting hat.

Butch

03-09-2007 15:32:46 | More by Butch
mmmbeer

3.78/5  rDev +12.8%

12 oz. bottle; brewed with malted wheat, cluster hops, coriander, and hints of blueberry. It pours into the weizen glass a cloudy peach/tangerine, with medium carbonation that builds up two fingers of white head before reducing to an eighth of a inch and distributing sparse lacing. It smells of orange juice and blueberry muffins, with a light spiciness and maybe some anise. The body is light and crisp, with airy carbonation and flavors of tart wheat, orange peel/orange soda, spicy coriander, a lemony twang, blueberry, and perhaps some banana, all of which combine to impart a medium finish. Definitely a sessionable beer, and one I found to have both witbier and American pale wheat characteristics.

03-09-2007 00:56:06 | More by mmmbeer
adams82

3.98/5  rDev +18.8%

This is my first Leinenkugel brew and I thought I'd give em a try. Here goes nothing!

Pours into my Hefe glass a hazy golden/orange color, thin white head which leaves some nice lacing behind. I suppose this is a typical looking wit. Very interesting aromas, floral, spicy and fruity... Coriander, lemon and orange peel are very apparent, followed by and underlying note of blueberry. Very pleasing and very nice! The taste is mostly fruity, slightly floral and slightly spicy. Tastes of blueberry and a nice soft malty flavor start out and linger as the orange peel kicks in towards the middle of my draught and it finishes with a nice spicy hop and coriander flavor with lingering orange peel. Certainly a different Wit, but damn is it nice! Light to medium bodied + low ABV makes this a great session beer and it's quite quaffable!

I went in a little weary but came out rather impressed and surprised. I'll have to visit more of Leinenkugle's lineup soon.

03-09-2007 00:20:53 | More by adams82
Onibubba

Kentucky

3.28/5  rDev -2.1%

Nice cloudy pour with a decent head. Light amber. Looks nice. WTF is that smell? The Trix reviewers are right. They have hit the nose on this beer. Smells like nothing natural on god's green earth. Smells like man created citrus. Taste is actually not bad. Some lemon zing, some wheat, but then than smell comes back at you. Smooth body, great mouthfeel, and a good drinkability. But you've got to be able to get past the smell to enjoy the benefits this beer has to offer.

03-05-2007 18:17:18 | More by Onibubba
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours from 12oz bottle(BB05/28/07) a cloudy yellow orange with a smallish head of foam that looks to fade away completely but never does. It also has some fine lacing.

The smell is very strongly of lemon with just a touch of wheat noticeable.

The taste is very refreshing...there's lots of lemon with some wheat and, for me, even some orange tones that appear right before the finish which starts out on the bitter side but ends up being dry and crisp. Good stuff.

Bottom line: A nice refreshing example of the style that should help with the summer time heat. I like it.

03-04-2007 21:11:22 | More by Bitterbill
BryanCarey

3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat pours to a cloudy golden color with a nice amount of foam that fades quickly. The scent of citrus and coriander fills the air following a good pour.

This beer has a taste that emphasizes fruit, with lemon and a touch of orange dominating. The flavor of coriander isn’t too far behind, followed by wheat and other light herbs. There is only a faint taste of hops and the beer is sweet overall. Many have compared the aroma to fruit cereal and the taste to a breakfast fruit drink. Both of these descriptions are pretty accurate. The coriander flavor is also evident, but it doesn’t overwhelm and among all the flavors, the fruit is the one that stands out the most.

Overall, Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat is a nice, refreshing beer product that is fruity and easy- drinking. It is less expensive than other craft beer and Leinenkugel products enjoy a wide distribution base. I’m enjoying mine right now, in the cold of winter but this seems like a beer that was made for the summer season. The light refreshment and the fruity flavor make it a fine brew for warm weather drinking.

03-04-2007 05:40:31 | More by BryanCarey
skillerified

3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Sort of peach colored and quite hazy with a big frothy, fluffy white head. Big sticky lacing is everywhere.

Very fruity up front, citric (possibly residual from the lemon slice I removed from the glass). That blueberry note that I've read about here somewhere is quite obvious and prevalent. A bit grainy as well. Others have accurately described it as cereal-like. It's interesting, but doesn't feel natural. It smells artificially flavored, I mean.

Very sweet and grainy on the palate. A bit of a honey buttered biscuit flavor was in there. The fruit definitely tries to make itself known, blueberry again.

Creamy and thick, lots of body for the style. Very smooth. Very sweet, but still reasonably well balanced.

Easy to drink and pretty tasty. An interesting take on the style. Could definitely be a crossover beer too.

03-03-2007 21:01:19 | More by skillerified
TheBeerBaron14

Missouri

This to me is a beer that is marketing itself towards non beer drinkers.

The apperance is very very hazy, almost opaque.

The aroma is very much like everyone else has said, very sweet and trix or fruity pebble esque.

The flavor is way too sweet for this beer drinker. It really had the taste of taking a wheat beer and mixing it 3 to 1 with Orange Juice.

The mouthefeel was heavy and very full.

Lastly I think the drinkability would lend itself to a Mimosa drinker or someone who enjoys a sweet and sugary cocktail.

I know there is a market for it, I am just in that catagory.

Better luck next time Leiny!

03-01-2007 23:36:24 | More by TheBeerBaron14
jjayjaye

3.65/5  rDev +9%

Pours about as hazy as you can get... light golden color with a full finger white head that is kept alive by visible carbonation. Some lacing present.

The aroma is really quite unique; immediately associate with Trix cereal. I said that to a buddy of mine who's been exploring fruity beers and he did know what Trix cereal was. Go buy a box to experience the similarity.

The flavor is very sweet; matches the smell. It tasted creamy and almost refreshing. I was taken by the uniqueness.

The mouth feel had a bit of a snag for me though. There was a lingering thick sandy feeling on my tongue that got worse as i finished the pint. I think that I'll pass on this one in the future. Was that an allergic reaction?

03-01-2007 22:33:51 | More by jjayjaye
jrb1001

4.3/5  rDev +28.4%

This beer is quite unique from all of the other beers that I have had. Upon drinking this beer the first thing I thought about was Trix Cereal. The beer didn't taste like beer in trix, but the acutal beer tasted like Trix. It was really fruity. So after drinking this I recommended that my friends get a keg of it for everyone to drink. This was great because even the girls at the party could easily drink it.

I really recommend this beer if you want to try something different and fruity.

03-01-2007 22:16:05 | More by jrb1001
2wheeledpirate

West Virginia

4.13/5  rDev +23.3%

So, I liked the color and hazy hue of this witbier. I assume the name "sunset" may have been inspired by the look of this beer served in a round goblet. It is very aromatic and fruity to the nose. I would call the mouthfeel "medium bodied" and the flavor lingers a bit after swallowing. This beer is very pleasant and easy to drink. The only thing I would like to see changed is the blueberry "shot" is a bit overwhelming, Nice to see a larger brewery going up against Blue Moon (Coor's Belgian White Ale).

03-01-2007 21:18:52 | More by 2wheeledpirate
becktone

2.73/5  rDev -18.5%

Eye:Purs a hazy, cloudy, lemon yellow color, with little signs of carbonation at first glance. When looked at for more than just a second one can see the carbonation bubbles rising through the haze of this brew. The head is white with a bit of a yellowish tint with fairly poor lacing qualitites but with somewhat decent retention. Looks about average for the style.

Nose: Wow! very potent aroma. Don't even have to get near the glass to smell this one. Just pouring it into the glass fills the room with this beer's aroma. Very fruity aroma in this beer, huge blueberry aroma. Also notes of some citrus character-common for the sytle, espicially orange aromas and a hint of some spiciness although it is behind everything else. In my opinion a little too much blueberry.

Tongue: This is a beer that benefits from being served colder. When colder the wateriness, which I now perceive, is not as upfront. Nice blueberry character mixed in witht the orange and slight spiciness that this brew offers. Bitterness is just enough to balance this out, though this beer leans more towards the side of cloyingly sweet that balanced. Wheat malt is not the primary flavor, rather the blueberry and orange are.

Drinkability and Mouthfeel: This is a beer that I will most likely not be buying again. It is just too hard to drink, too sweet for my taste. Not all that reminiscent of the Wit bier style it trys to emulate. Mouthfeel is thin and watered down, not quite as noticable though if served colder. Finishes on the dry side.

02-27-2007 06:14:14 | More by becktone