Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

Seriously, other people have said it, so I will give a quick review.

It smells like and tastes like Trix are for Kids... or Fruity Pebbles.

This isn't a bad thing. It's very drinkable and kind of a fun beer, because of the smell and taste. My wife loves it.

**after further review**
My wife drinks this stuff like water. It is just too sweet for me. Fruity Pebbles was the correct flavor, we've checked the two together. It isn't bad for a summer, lawnmower, beer, but it could be a little too sweet for some.

chemmie, Apr 22, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Poured a hazy, pale goldenrod with an orangeish tint, quite bubbly in body and a thick head displaying decent retention, some lacing.

S: A orange and citrusy sweet smell over some grainy notes and bit of spice, a very nice bouquet. If this thing tastes half as good as it smells, it's a winner.

T: A very straightforward taste, simply a refreshing wheat beer flavor throughout, nothing spectacular, but that seems to be part of the charm. A slight hop flavor is detectable at the end, rounding out a wheaty finish. Not a whole lot of ups and downs.

M: Decent carbonation, a thin, watery and slick mouthfeel make it smooth overall.

D: Has a good drinkability level due to its flavor composition and watery feel, would do well for a cookout. Being the first truly hot/warm day here for the season, this beer is a good way to kick off the late spring/summer months, but may not hold up in the face of other witbiers.

CharlieMopps, Apr 21, 2007
3.45/5  rDev +3%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a very pale cloudy golden color. Fizzy white head does hold together well, and leaves some patchy lace when it subsides.

Strong berry-like aroma. Lots of fruits, lemons, oranges, maybe some grapes and apricots. Seems a bit artificial. A bit perfumey as well.

Slightly tart and crisp, with a great amount of sweet fruitiness. Lemons, oranges, and berries. The sweetness is a bit much, and there seems to be just a touch of hops to help out.

Decent body and carbonation. This isn't bad, but it is a bit too sweet, and the fruit flavors don't seem natural. They don't seem blended in, rather they compete with the base of the beer. Still, worth a shot, particularly in the hot weather.

Bierguy5, Apr 21, 2007

This finally arrived in Texas! I had been wanting to try it after reading the article about this beer on the BA website.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer pours a very hazy straw, with a 1/4 inch head, and light lacing on the glass.

The aroma is a nice mix of hops, wheat, and lemon.

The taste is amazing! Orange and lemon, along with a good amount of hops, creating a very smooth citrus finish.

Medium mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

Overall, I have to say this is in my top five for best witbiers. Highly enjoyable, and very sessionable.

beeragent, Apr 20, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -11.9%

Sampled & reviewed on 3/2/07:

Ap: Full finger of head raised which settles within moments to a thin layer. Cloudy & gloden. Has the standard look of a Wit or other wheat-based ale.

Ar: Candied fruits dominate! Just totally pervade the entire aroma. Smells like jujifruits for Pete's sake! Maybe Juicyfruit gum. Smells real fake - oranges, cherries. Kind of like fruit punch or Hi-C.

Ta: The taste scarily reminds me of Fruity Pebbles (Wiiilllmaaa!). I love Fruity Pebbles n' all, but this is ridculous flavor in a beer. Do I like it because I love Fruity Pebbles or do I hate it due to its absolute lack of true beer qualities such as any malt flavor or hop bite?

Mo: Very light, smooth & crisp. Fruitiness leaves palette very clean. Dry finish.

Dr: Extremely easy drinking, but fruitiness wears very quickly. Thirst quenching possibly as is a fruity drink or juice, but not really a "beer" IMO.

Comments: Honestly, I didn't mind this as a beverage, but I don't think I could consider it beer, per se. Tasty, fruity & flavorful, albeit a bit fake tasting, but possesses no qualities you'd expect from beer.

JMD71, Apr 17, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -29%

12oz bottle into pint glass

Pours a cloudy lemon yellow with a large fluffy white head but little to no lace.

Scent is lemon, orange. Sweet, candy-like and somewhat unnatural; actually reminds me of froot loops cereal.

Taste is tart lemons and sweet oranges, a hint of coriander, peach and banana on top of a wheat base. The froot loops comparison is borne out here too.

Mouthfeel is light and slightly creamy. Not heavily carbonated.

Drinkability for me is poor. The unnatural sugary fruity aspect gets old quickly.

Not impressed with this beer at all.

sethmeister, Apr 14, 2007
2.3/5  rDev -31.3%

On-tap 4/12/07 at The Abbey in Providence, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale orange color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is fruity with orange & lemon. There’s also some wheat and a faint touch of hops in there.

T: The taste is quite sweet and fruity with the same flavors of orange & lemon that you get in the smell. There’s a little bit of spice and some wheat flavor in it as well. Despite the fruity sweetness, the malt character is thin and there’s barely any hops presence. The after-taste is sweet and a little bready.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, the finish is somewhat clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, to be honest I didn’t like it at all and would not drink it again, however, if you like Blue Moon, you’d probably like this beer as well. I was sad to see that this beer had replaced the Newport Storm of the Season tap at The Abbey and mentioned as much to the bartender for it whatever it may have been worth.

TheManiacalOne, Apr 13, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

This beer just made it into our state. Could not wait to taste it, especially after all I had read about it.
It poured a hazy, cloudy yellow-orange. The nose was quite surprising. I was expecting the usual orange peel, but what I got instead was plenty of citrus - lemon and orange - but more in a candy-like form. Also present were hints of licorice, mint and blueberry.
On the palate, same flavors, but more oangey, but still candy-like. Very nice carbonation makes this one pretty enjoyable.
Quite different. This could make it a bit challenging....but worth the challenge!

Lagaffe74, Apr 12, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +29.3%

Tried this one on draft on a whim last night. Sam's Summer is finding its way to shelves and taps these days but thought I'd give this unfamiliar summer wheat a try.

The head was a light butter-cream color and held up well. My first glass was served with a healthy wedge of orange which at first I imagined was responsible for orangish-slightly sweet aroma. (I was mistaken as I quaffed my second glass sans-orange and was pleased to still encounter a distinctly citrus/orange note drifting up from the glass.)

It poured with a nice veil that's typical of an unfiltered wheat but it was perhaps a bit more amber/honey colored than the golden or straw colored hues of some of the more familiar summer wheats.

The tastes was most surprising....expecting as I did the lemon/pepper spice notes of a typical summer wheats. What I got instead was more of a sweet, almost toasted orange peel and blueberry top note that lingered without being too cloying or too sweet. I was worried this would be one of those "single serving" beers that becomes undrinkable as you get near the bottom of your first pint. Not so. I found myself enjoying the sweet/toasted citrus notes and imagining warmer days to come with one of these in hand....and welcomed the prospect enthusiastically.

Normally I get a little distracted by beers with such noticable or deliberate fruit flavors in them. While I always enjoy the first 3 - 6 ounces or so, eventually the fruit flavor becomes so pronounced that it begins to taste like one of the kids dropped their lollypop or maybe a cough drop into my beer.

3 pints later no such effect occured and while rather noticable and up-front, the citrus notes never overtook the beer. I'll be looking for this one on the shelves for the backyard cooler this year.

Randori

Randori, Apr 12, 2007

I really liked this one, apparently more than pretty much everyone else. Pours your standard foggy light yellow witbier color, lots of white foam on top. Smell is lots of orange (and I didn't even have any in there). Taste is almost overwhelmingly a sweet version of orange peel, but still delicious. Not a lot else going on, but it's strangely tasty. Feel is medium bodied with mild carbonation, but tasty. Overall, a solid beer with a really unique flavor...reminded me of a lambic because of its distinct fruitiness. I still liked it.

soupyman10, Apr 12, 2007
3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

I had decided to try this one since it just recently hit the shelves around here. I had a 6-pack in my cart as I was walking through the beer store and one of the sales clerks approached me and noted my selection. He said that the distributor had give them employees a few free samples to take home and that he was fairly impressed with the brew. His no-holds-barred assessment was, "Liquid Fruity Pebbles."

I have to agree with him that this beer has a lot of taste similarities to a children's breakfast cereal.

From the bottle, it pours a perfect head and is pleasantly cloudy. Although I did the old "swirl" on the bottom 1/3 of the bottle while pouring, you really don't need to. I tried a straight pour on one of the bottles and had virtually no noticable difference on appearance or scent.

The scent itself is noticably sweet but not overpowering. Slightly floral - along the lines of a fresh-cut bouquet.

Taste is astonishing at first and it really took me by surprise. You should remember your first one of these for a long time. As the clerk had mentioned, very similar to Fruity Pebbles though with a very present wheat taste and a slight crispness from the carbonation. The 'fizz' is light but present in the taste and it really contributes. Mouthfeel is a little dry to me despite the sweet taste. Just slightly gritty but it swallows smooth with a clean finish.

At 4.9% with a pleasant and eclectic taste, this is one you could drink all day long.

My advice on fruit - I tried it with both lemon and orange and the orange is deffinitely the preferable choice. Just rub it on the outside of the rim of the glass, don't drop it in.

Don't expect this to be an authentic Belgian wit. It's a thoroughly American creation that appeals to a largely ignored segment of the beer market. It's certainly a strange brew to pick up but the challenge is mild and fun.

One last note: I drank my last one straight from the bottle to get a feel for how it might hold up in a 'picnic' environment where glassware is scarce or out of place. More concentrated and slightly fizzier as you would expect but still very drinkable. Don't be shy to flip off the convenient twist-off cap and drink one down while sitting on the porch and watching the sunset.

A very unique beer.

TrojanMan, Apr 09, 2007
3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

There's a date of 02 27 07, which I'm thinking is the bottled or born on date? Pours a hazed straw color with 4+ fingers of fluffy eggshell colored head. Good lacing * above averag head retention

S: Berries & watermelon?

T: Orange peel, berry punch & slight hint of pepper up front. Tartness follows as this warms along with a peach juice favor. Finishes dry, tart & fruitty

MF: Light & sprtizy

Drinks alright, a lot to fruitty for me, someone probably digs this. I'll be sexist & think it would a just a few women.Not a good example of a wit by far...

russpowell, Apr 08, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +35.2%

The aroma was very familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. The taste confirmed it. This beer reminds me of being ten years old, and eating a bowl of Fruity Pebbles cereal. Somehow, this is not a bad thing.

I didn't garnish with an orange as suggested, but I think the flavor does a good enough job by itself. I wasn't really looking for a beer that tasted like grade school breakfast, but there is something quite amazing about it.

This could be the ultimate beer for back porch relaxing, or enjoying after the lawn is cut. This was my first beer by the Leinenkugel family, but I will now be on the lookout for any more styles I can get my hands on.

MisterDeeds, Apr 07, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -36.4%

Purchaed in a "sampler" case with three other of their beers.. It was called the "Adventure Pack". Drinking this was an "adventure" not worth taking.
This poured a very cloudy orange color with decent carbonation and head.
The aroma wasa bit "offensive" to me, kind of like orange coolade and the taste was also of the same.
Not one I will buy again.

dmamiano, Apr 07, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A hazy golden color, with a thick, pure white head. Head stays around a long time.

Smells like spicy jelly beans, with a bit of malt and hops. This really comes across as over spiced to me.

Tastes like a peppery orange koolaid, where some health-conscious Mom added only half the sugar. The citrus is way too evident for my liking. I wouldn't necessarily consider a wit to be fruit beer but this one sure is. A halfway decent bitter finish does a little bit to save this brew for me.

I could drink this like water on a hot summer day no doubt. I bet the ladies will like it a lot more.

ZimZamZoom, Apr 06, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

A-poured a cloudy orange color with a healthy white hade that left behind some lacing.

S- very intense sweet fruits and citrus. Nothing else can be detected.

T- sweet fruits and sour citrus masks the wheat taste hidden far in the background. Somewhat of an artificial bitter aftertaste.

M-decent. light body with medium carbonation. very smooth.

D- this is a very drinkable beer if you like sweet tastes.

PittBeerGirl, Apr 06, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -5.1%

Grabbed a sixxer of this at the corner store the other day along with my usual brew, just to taste. Figured I'd read about it on BA, I may as well delve into it.

It pours nicely, barely laces, with a quickly receding head. Cloudy and golden with a bright white head. Typical witbier fashion... tho I don't know if I'd actually consider this your typical wit.

Smell is blueberry overload. I don't know if it's just me, but holy hell, this is like, fruit central. I don't mind it, it's just not what I'm used to. Interesting and intriguing.

It's tastes alright. I'll say it's better than... blue moon. But it doesn't really hold a candle to true belgian wits. It's a fruity carbonated mixture... not offensive, but not a particularly well crafted brew. Every time I belch it feels like I just drank a glass of orange juice.

It's sweet and medium bodied and medium to heavy carbonated. Cloying? You be the judge. Maybe for me, but you may love it.

It's easy to drink but I don't see myself putting down more than two of these in a sitting. Blueberry overload, plus the cloying affect may get to me after more than a couple. I'll drink one and then move along to my hoppy goodness ;)

SaucyA, Apr 05, 2007
3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

Walked into an Applebees and this was the only thing they had on tap that I had not tried so I went for it. The waitress described it has a Blue Moon without the "bad after taste." I think's she is crazy, I don't think Blue Moon has a bad aftertaste. Anyway...

Poured a nice, golden orange color with a small, white head with almost no retention. A little bit of a lacing after the head disappears, but not too much. It smelled nice and fruity, which was nice; definitely reminded me of Blue Moon. A strong, fruity and citrusy taste with no real aftertaste. However, the citrus flavors were slightly more evident in this beer than in Blue Moon. It had a decent mouthfeel; a little on the thin side, but this may have been due to the fact that it was on tap. Pretty drinkable beer; seems pretty light and not too alcoholic. Can definitely get lost in a bunch of these and not even realize it.

maddogruss, Apr 05, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

First time I'd seen Sunset Wheat in this part of the country. Lots of fresh lemon, citrus, and floral scents. Very unfiltered and cloudy, low head retention. Almost takes like a pilsner and lemonade combined, which isn't that bad of a thing. If this was a hot day and I just finished cutting the lawn or jogging, this one would hit the spot. One of the better Wit's around.

Backer2004, Apr 05, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -20%

Heavily hazed pale yellow in color with a stark head of paper white froth. Very little retention and lace.

Aroma is sweet and fruity, with a slight citric twang and subtle undertones of wheat. As it warms a bit, an undenyable blueberry pie note emerges.

Flavor nearly identical in description. Sweet, almost candylike citrus and blueberry flavors with subtle notes of citrus, lemon, pepper, and wheat. Wittesque, but definately not true to style and too sweet. The blueberry note is OK at first, but i really couldn't drink more than one or two of these. Note: I was burping artificial blueberry for like an hour after drinking this.

Body is rather light and refreshing with a slick, wheaty mouthfeel and soft, creamy carbonation. The mouthfeel is the most attractive aspect of this beer.

AlexJ, Apr 04, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a tap, the beer is a cloudy gold with a nice thick white head. A bit of lace as the beer is drunk, though I had the beer at a local bar that isn't known for its clean glassware (or its floors, dishes ... I digress).

The nose has a very forward lemony zest with a bit of citrus ... not grapefruit ... I couldn't place it. It definitely had a spicier note to it than most Wits ... peppercorn (?) maybe.

At first sip, I tasted notes of lemon, pepper, citrus, and a little wheat. However, after the second and preceding sips, the taste became far too sweet for my palate (almost like a Sam's Summer with lemonade). I'm not sure if it was the beer or the tap lines, but the sweetness became so overpowering to the point that I could not really taste much else.

The beer is well carbonated and is quite smooth. It's a bit chewy too, which really annoys me since the sugary taste just kills the beer for me. It’s a well structured beer minus the fact that the sweetness really knocks it off balance.

This beer is way too sweet for me. This might be a good way to get someone into beer by hitting them with this sugary Wit, but for someone who knows the style a little better I would not recommend this. It's just way too sugary.

Jaynuze, Apr 03, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

Appearance is wonderful. Light cloudy yellow with plenty of bubbles.

Smells good, citrusy, like an orange slice has already been added.

Taste is, well, sweet. And a little spicy... but too sweet for me. Tasted like orange soda or something.

Mouthfeel is a little flat and not very carbonated. It didn't agree with me. Actually if you leave it in a glass for more than a few minutes it gets way too flat.

Drinkability is poor. If I drank more than a few, it would feel like I just ate dessert. Definitely a one or 2 kinda beer.

nowise, Apr 02, 2007

Presentation: Shared a pitcher of this at alocal place with a pitcher and a pie deal. Arrived in a plastic pitcher with two chilled pint glasses.

Appearance: Pours with a 1 inch off white head. This settles into a thin coating of foam. The beer itself is a hazy medium yellow with the slightest hints of orange.

Smell: Very sweet and tart. Lots of fruit. Hints of oranges, Tang, blueberries, and lemons.

Taste: Upfront tartness as if from lemons or oranges. Heavy sweet undertones with a little bit of wheat tang. Finishes with a slightly acidic blueberry flavor.

Mouthfeel: Average level of carbonation, pretty foamy. Body of average.

Drinkability: I had this sitting inside with okay weather outside. I imagine this beer would have tasted a little better if I was sitting outside on a sunny day. Not bad, but the taste is almost too artificial for me.

beveritt, Mar 29, 2007
3.43/5  rDev +2.4%

Hazy peach color with a decent white head and good carbonation. Interesting citrus fruity aroma and flavor; akin to orange juice. The coriander is not really noticeable at all. Light-medium bodied with a biting citrus finish.

An average hybrid American Wheat/Wit that I wouldn't bother buying again... esp. at insane Las Vegas prices.

Per 6-pack Carrier: "Brewed with Malted Wheat, Cluster Hops, and Natural Coriander"

Per JL website:
Malts: Wheat and Pale
Hops: Cluster
4.9% ABV
2006 GABF - Silver - Herb and Spice Beer

'04307' lasered on neck
Tasted: 02/27/07

($11.84 / 6-pack with tax included ... ouch !)

RBorsato, Mar 29, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -5.1%

I'm glad there's a note added about blueberry being added. I thought I might have been handed a Wachusett Blueberry by accident. There's nothing offensive about this beer, which is a good place to start. The flavor is just too spicey/fruity (mostly blueberry). There's hardly any normal beer flavors. I like those, but maybe I'm just a stickler.

tempest, Mar 29, 2007