Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Sunset WheatLeinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 887 | Hads: 2,282
2.81/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I will preface this with the statement that this is my least favorite of the Leinenkugel Line…I think they overplayed the fake blueberry scent and taste, with a more than healthy overdose of cloves/spices. I picked up a more than noticeable banana aftertaste. All of this combines to leave me searching to much for the beer flavor. Makes me think they brewed something wrong, then tried to fix it.

I would like to try this on tap and see if it does better, I may have just had the wrong beer in the wrong place.

3.54/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a cloudy orange in a 16oz pub glass with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly and does not leave much lacing.

Smell is magnificent with a fruity, blueberry smell to it with maybe a little lemon.

Taste is good with that blueberry being the prominent player with that little bit of lemon at the end. This is not the first time I have had this beer as I tend to enjoy it. Sometimes I have gotten a unpleasent perfume taste but I did not get that this time.

Mouth feel is smooth and velvety with not a lot of carbonation.

Overall a great beer to my taste. I really like fruit beer and this one definitely does not disappoint in that respect.

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat 6pk bottles $8.99(OH)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. Freshness date painted just below bottle neck.

Pours a Orange, burnt gold color. Looks like a witbier. A two finger bright white head that goes away pretty quick, Leaving some lines of lacing running down.

The aroma is a nice bright orange smell, with a few spices. Wheat and coriander. Smells a lot like blue moon but the coriander is much more subtle.

Taste follows the nose. An excellent balance of oranges, wheats, and spices. Tastes a lot like blue moon, but in my opinion much better. The coriander is more subtle, and lets the wheaty orange shine through. There is a slight taste of blueberries in the finish.

Mouth feel is good. No complaints. Good carbonation. You never want to over carbonate a wheat beer. Smooth crisp and clean from start to finish.

Overall In my opinion this is what blue moon should be. An almost perfect balance of wheat oranges and spices. Blue moon is strong on the coriander. This is a nice witbier. One of my favorite from leinie's. I will buy it over blue moon anyday, but witbiers aren't my favorite style.

3.2/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a murky brownish yellow color, smells of wheat citric coriander and blueberry. It really does taste like fruity pebbles, with a wheat kick at the end.

This is one of those beers that serves a purpose, it's a great fruity beer for summer time. I would never drink it otherwise, but it makes a perfect campfire beer.

Love this beer. I'm a big fan of all of Leinenkugel's seasonals though. When smelling and tasting the sunset wheat, it resembles fruit loops in my opinion. I could easily drink a six pack of this in a short period of time, and I have. Definitely give this a try if you like fruity tasting beers.

4.21/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I actually really like this beer. Tastes just like fruity pebbles . . . And who doesn't like fruity pebbles. I mean really, I can remember times when I was a bachelor I wouldn't think twice about eating a box of fruity pebbles for supper. If I had know about this beer then I may have poured this on top.

3.59/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up on a whim. Pours a cloudy pale straw color with little head or lacing. The nose is artificial blueberry and belgian yeast. Think a blueberry eggo with some yeasty bread dough on top. The flavor is bready with lots of bitter not fresh blueberries. Not what I expected when I grabbed thus and not something I'd come back to.

3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

I do not like hoppy beers, and since wheat beers are supposedly one of the least hoppy styles, I decided to try a six pack of this brew. I am not disappointed. Sunset Wheat pours a cloudy orange color. Mine had about a half-finger of head that faded quickly leaving some nice lacing. The smell is only so-so, but the taste is fine, with citrus notes right up front and a kind of 'sharp' quality to it. The mouth feel is lightly carbonated. True to the style, there is only a slight bitterness to the finish. Overall, I find it to be a refreshing brew, and probably a good session beer, though for me a 'session' is usually one. IPA lovers will probably hate it, but for those of us who are not fans of high IBU's, this one will do the job.

2.66/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smell: The smell of this beer is pretty promising as it smalls like a sour/sweet fruity grain smell.

Taste:This beer i can honestly say tastes almost exactly like fruity pebbles the cereal. It has a sort of synthetic fruit taste that isnt very fresh. Finish is a bit sour and leaves a weird taste on the tongue. Overall it tastes like cereal mixed with grain. Pretty different.

3.12/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottle marked Feb1014, rest illegible, 40 degrees, into 12 oz glass
Aroma slightly lemony
Head average (3 cm), white, creamy, rapidly diminishing
No lacing
Body light yellow, hazy
Flavor begins very sweet, mixed berry flavor
Flavor ends abruptly, leaving only a vague sweetness
No hops evident, no alcohol tasted, no diacetyl
Light watery body with soft carbonation

This was left with me after a party two days ago. It is very much a perfumey, girlie beer.

3.44/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is brewed in the style of a Witbier with blueberry extract added. Most interesting is the use of a lager yeast strain in place of an ale strain. This has always been a year-round release, arguably the flagship beer of Leinenkugel's brewery since their shift to focusing on traditional German and Belgian craft styles. Available in bottles and on draft.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to my Leinenkugel's pint glass. Served above 50º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours an eggshell-white head of a crisp foamy consistency over a pale golden amber body with a moderate haze. Carbonation is light and relaxed. Head retention is average at best, lacing is very light and does not stick. 3.5

(Smell) Blueberry is an immediately evident aroma from the moment you open the bottle, dry, potent blueberry extract and artificial blueberry syrup. Following the blueberry is a light wheat malt, some cereal grain, a dash of orange peel and some light coriander. While not quite as profound in berry potency as Berry Weiss, the main focus on this beer is in the blueberry impact. It does manage to come off as moderately enjoyable, although some may find the strength of the blueberry a nauseating profile. 3.25

(Taste) A mild wheat profile with an equally mellow sweetness, mildly bitter orange peel and a dash of spice. Blueberry is a definite accent in the finish although it doesn't come off nearly as strong as it does in the aroma. No hop presence nor bitterness to speak of. Overall I found the blueberry an assertive compliment to an otherwise pedestrian witbier. I couldn't see it being memorable without the blueberry, as the remaining flavor would otherwise be remarkably light and potentially bland. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick, mildly chalky and zesty dry. Carbonation adds some crispness to the tongue. Body is medium for the style, light/medium overall. Alcohol presence is low. The balance is sweet over bitter, although it's still a bit arid, thin and dry, not all are unexpected for the style but collectively it's jarring for drinkability somewhat. Perhaps the lager yeast had a profound impact on how the texture and body of this beer is perceived, as it's unique, but not wholly enjoyable. 3.5

(Overall) While my impressions about this beer have changed, they have changed for the better. Sunset Wheat is a very light beer in malt profile as well as in other style-defining guidelines. What makes this beer different is the use of a lager strain for a cleaner, crisper and lighter malt profile as well as the inclusion of blueberries, which do a decent job of complimenting the flavors of this witbier, but may easily be seen as a flavor burden for some who are going for something more simple or traditional. If you choose any light beer out of Leinenkugel's lineup, this is the one I'd most likely recommend, but try it on draft to see if you find it enjoyable enough to get more of. 3.5

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company's
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

3.16/5  rDev -6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Very small white head dies quickly to barely a lacing at all above a cloudy washed out pale straw golden colored beer.

Blueberry fruity aroma.

Light blueberries on a wheat grain taste.

Light dry aftertaste without much taste sticking around with this light bodied beer.

Light tasting wheat beer, not really sold on this beer being worth recommending.

4.44/5  rDev +32.1%

I have drank this beer, A LOT. It is archived as one of my all time favorites! My reference is to "fruity pebbles" When you drink this beer, it's like dessert yet not too sweet. Surprisingly light and fruity. You can tell it's a wheat beer just by the appearance and taste. This beer pairs well with just about everything, even chocolate. It's too bad they don't make scratch and sniff stickers for this beer, because I would buy them! This is the kind of beer, if you like wheat beer, to buy and drink a six pack in one sitting. Not a disappointment.

3.31/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From bottle to mug.
Cloudy, dark yellow, different.
Fruity, berry hint, nice.
Blueberry, that's it. Like having a beer with a blueberry muffin.
Smooth, nice drinkability.
A suprise when had, pleasant though, may consider again in the future.
May your beer be cold and your women hot.

4.34/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

For a relatively affordable beer that you can find almost anywhere, this beer was by far my favorite of the summer. It's similar to something like Blue Moon... slightly citrusy, bubbly and delicious. Perfect for poolside fun & I've never had a friend say anything negative about the brew. Works well for picky beer drinkers.

3.13/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a brown bottle with a freshness date printed on the bottle into a pint glass and I get 1 finger on head. The date looks like Oct 9, 2014.? That doesn't make sense.

A: Pours a hazy yellow color and I get 1 finger of head that dissipates fast to leave a soapy ring around the glass. There is little to no lacing.

S: I smell some lemon and some wheat. Not much but maybe some fruit...berry of some sort.

T: Blueberries upfront and then some lemon zest and then finishes sweet. It's sweet, too sweet. Am I not supposed to taste coriander? It's not there. It tastes mostly of blueberries.

M: Creamy at first with some carbonation and a little bitterness. It goes down good but it is very sweet.

O: I'm not a fan because it is so sweet. It goes down good enough though but I don't want another. However, the girls here seemed to gravitate towards this one. My friend said that she doesn't like beer, generally, but likes this one. Go figure.

3.72/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured into a pilsner glass, a pale, hazy orange color greets you with a thin, cream-colored head. A decent amount of carbonation and little bit of lacing with noticeable legs wraps up the welcome appearance.

Very pleasant. A bit of malt, orange and lemon, spiced up with coriander and surrounded by blueberries. Gobs of blueberries. Sweet, crisp, and straight to the point.

Not as much blueberry as the nose leads you to believe, but plenty of coriander. Light hints of honey and creamy wheat malts with no detectable hops and a crisp finish. Reminds me of Fruity Pebbles, which is used to love growing up.

Creamy. Medium-bodied with nice levels of carbonation. Easy to drink and highly refreshing.

I could easily enjoy multiples of this witbier in one sitting. Incredibly easy to drink. Definitely worth trying.

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a hazy orange copper color with a billowy one finger white head. The head fades rather rapidly leaving some light streaks of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is on the sweeter side with a variety of fruit smells. Orange and lemon are the strongest, but other light fruit aromas of peach and some berry seem to be there as well. Along with the sweet is some spice of coriander and a decent showing of wheat, overall leading to a fruity wit aroma.

Taste –The taste begins with a more grainy wheat taste accentuated by a larger amount of mixed fruit. As the taste advances some flavors of yeast come to the tongue along with some spice which all in all combined in the end to leave a sweet and fruity wheat taste on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- The body of the beer is on the average side in terms of its thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is rather average as well. Both are quite fitting for the style and make it a nice summer style beer.

Overall – An alright brew overall. Nothing super out of the ordinary, but nothing wrong with it either.

3.42/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I haven't been a huge fan of Leinenkugel stuff and so in my tasting session I wasn't expecting much here. I was pleasantly wrong.

AP: much more coppery in color than most wheat beers I'm accustom to.

SM: Although I don't believe it's in there, it has a faint anise smell.

M: effervescence evidence of bottle conditioning

T: the black licorice flavors return and provide a surprising bitter-sweetness.

I had this in a tasting session and compared/contrasted it with Hoegaarden which also has coriander in it. The Sunset Wheat isn't tempered with orange peel however and I think this is what leads to the anise overtones. I enjoyed it.

2.3/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours a cloudy golden color with a finger width foamy head. Head retention and lacing are decent. There is a hint of wheat with the aroma, but it mainly smells like a cleaner with a citrus aroma. Not a good sign. Taste isn't much better. Citrus cleaner, slight wheat, no hops. Very sweet. Not good at all. Lighter bodied with moderate carbonation. This was really one of my first beers when I delved into the craft scene. I liked it then because I didn't have much experience. I haven't had it in a long time. I hope it is just a bad bottle, but I am afraid, I may be mistaken. It is actually making my stomach feel a little queasy. I may not finish this one. Come to think of it, when I first drank this beer, I had gotten sick that night. Maybe that had something to do with it.

1.44/5  rDev -57.1%

I'm reviewing this beer from "notes" (consisting, in part, of vivid nightmares!!). I try really hard to like a beer, and have found few that I couldn't drink, but this execrable potion is one. I like most Leinie beers, and wish that some of them were more available in my area....But, when I try to find some Leinies, its usually this stuff that stares me in the face, or some variety pack wherein this "beer" figures prominently.

There's enough sediment in this beer, that it goes way beyond hazy and into the realm of "tainted". The sediment in one bottle was definitely discolored (as in decay). To compare the taste of this beer to Fruity Pebbles, as some have done, would be an insult to Fruity Pebbles. It's more like that old terrible cereal "Boo Berry" (yuck and double yuck)- really fakey fruit taste infused into puffed rice- this sounds not too far off, actually....

I have fond memories of Leinie's in the returnable longnecks-- I wish breweries would bring back this custom. Nowadays, I really like the amber lager, if available, and would really like to try the "creamy dark". But, they really miss with this one. Maybe if they get enough of this crap sent back, they'll replace it with something decent.

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bottle to a mug.

Look: You have to pour a bit aggressive to get a nice one finger head going. It pours a golden brown that is hazy throughout. The head diminishes to a thin ring and it leaves a decent amount of lacing.

Smell: Getting some things that I don't generally smell in a Witbier, peach is the most prevalent. Seems to be a bit of coriander maybe? A very pleasant aroma that stay throughout.

Taste: Generally good. Lots of wheat and malt with a bit of the fruit that you smell. Maybe a type of berry as well. Black or blue maybe? Not sure. I generally don't like those type of berries, but it's working out nicely here.

Feel: Very light and refreshing. I wish it was hot out so I could enjoy that a bit more. The carbonation level is right around my preference.

Overall: I was very surprised by this. I picked it up in a mix-six but would definitely grab a full six next time. It's light and fun, and with the lower abv, I could knock a few back in mid-day after some yard work. (Always a plus)

2.87/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I am glad I bought one bootle at the store. It is was way to sweet and 'fruity.

Appreance: Golden yellow with a white frothy head
Smells L fruits and whean
Taste YOu can taste fruits, with no balnce ot it '
Mouthful : is very acidic in the mouth

Overall : I would pick up a blue moon any day before this beer. THis is an average beer on hot summer day at best !

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Drank from the bottle, so didn't get a good look.

Smell: Sweet smell.

Taste: Tasted fruity, and a little like Fruity Pebbles. After a while it began to get a more and more bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Was smooth.

Drinkability: Good to drink with a fruit salad, or for breakfast. LOL!

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer seems to kill it with the ladies during the spring/summer time. It is another one of Leinenkugel's extract style fruity beers. It like the others tastes "soda-like". But this one especially tastes like "Fruity Pebbles" of all things. It sounds odd but it really does. This beer will always do well in the spring and especially with the ladies with a sweet tooth for beer.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company