Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,209 | Reviews: 886
4.32/5  rDev +28.6%

Tried this one on draft on a whim last night. Sam's Summer is finding its way to shelves and taps these days but thought I'd give this unfamiliar summer wheat a try.

The head was a light butter-cream color and held up well. My first glass was served with a healthy wedge of orange which at first I imagined was responsible for orangish-slightly sweet aroma. (I was mistaken as I quaffed my second glass sans-orange and was pleased to still encounter a distinctly citrus/orange note drifting up from the glass.)

It poured with a nice veil that's typical of an unfiltered wheat but it was perhaps a bit more amber/honey colored than the golden or straw colored hues of some of the more familiar summer wheats.

The tastes was most surprising....expecting as I did the lemon/pepper spice notes of a typical summer wheats. What I got instead was more of a sweet, almost toasted orange peel and blueberry top note that lingered without being too cloying or too sweet. I was worried this would be one of those "single serving" beers that becomes undrinkable as you get near the bottom of your first pint. Not so. I found myself enjoying the sweet/toasted citrus notes and imagining warmer days to come with one of these in hand....and welcomed the prospect enthusiastically.

Normally I get a little distracted by beers with such noticable or deliberate fruit flavors in them. While I always enjoy the first 3 - 6 ounces or so, eventually the fruit flavor becomes so pronounced that it begins to taste like one of the kids dropped their lollypop or maybe a cough drop into my beer.

3 pints later no such effect occured and while rather noticable and up-front, the citrus notes never overtook the beer. I'll be looking for this one on the shelves for the backyard cooler this year.

Randori

I really liked this one, apparently more than pretty much everyone else. Pours your standard foggy light yellow witbier color, lots of white foam on top. Smell is lots of orange (and I didn't even have any in there). Taste is almost overwhelmingly a sweet version of orange peel, but still delicious. Not a lot else going on, but it's strangely tasty. Feel is medium bodied with mild carbonation, but tasty. Overall, a solid beer with a really unique flavor...reminded me of a lambic because of its distinct fruitiness. I still liked it.

3.52/5  rDev +4.8%

I had decided to try this one since it just recently hit the shelves around here. I had a 6-pack in my cart as I was walking through the beer store and one of the sales clerks approached me and noted my selection. He said that the distributor had give them employees a few free samples to take home and that he was fairly impressed with the brew. His no-holds-barred assessment was, "Liquid Fruity Pebbles."

I have to agree with him that this beer has a lot of taste similarities to a children's breakfast cereal.

From the bottle, it pours a perfect head and is pleasantly cloudy. Although I did the old "swirl" on the bottom 1/3 of the bottle while pouring, you really don't need to. I tried a straight pour on one of the bottles and had virtually no noticable difference on appearance or scent.

The scent itself is noticably sweet but not overpowering. Slightly floral - along the lines of a fresh-cut bouquet.

Taste is astonishing at first and it really took me by surprise. You should remember your first one of these for a long time. As the clerk had mentioned, very similar to Fruity Pebbles though with a very present wheat taste and a slight crispness from the carbonation. The 'fizz' is light but present in the taste and it really contributes. Mouthfeel is a little dry to me despite the sweet taste. Just slightly gritty but it swallows smooth with a clean finish.

At 4.9% with a pleasant and eclectic taste, this is one you could drink all day long.

My advice on fruit - I tried it with both lemon and orange and the orange is deffinitely the preferable choice. Just rub it on the outside of the rim of the glass, don't drop it in.

Don't expect this to be an authentic Belgian wit. It's a thoroughly American creation that appeals to a largely ignored segment of the beer market. It's certainly a strange brew to pick up but the challenge is mild and fun.

One last note: I drank my last one straight from the bottle to get a feel for how it might hold up in a 'picnic' environment where glassware is scarce or out of place. More concentrated and slightly fizzier as you would expect but still very drinkable. Don't be shy to flip off the convenient twist-off cap and drink one down while sitting on the porch and watching the sunset.

A very unique beer.

3.52/5  rDev +4.8%

There's a date of 02 27 07, which I'm thinking is the bottled or born on date? Pours a hazed straw color with 4+ fingers of fluffy eggshell colored head. Good lacing * above averag head retention

S: Berries & watermelon?

T: Orange peel, berry punch & slight hint of pepper up front. Tartness follows as this warms along with a peach juice favor. Finishes dry, tart & fruitty

MF: Light & sprtizy

Drinks alright, a lot to fruitty for me, someone probably digs this. I'll be sexist & think it would a just a few women.Not a good example of a wit by far...

4.52/5  rDev +34.5%

The aroma was very familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. The taste confirmed it. This beer reminds me of being ten years old, and eating a bowl of Fruity Pebbles cereal. Somehow, this is not a bad thing.

I didn't garnish with an orange as suggested, but I think the flavor does a good enough job by itself. I wasn't really looking for a beer that tasted like grade school breakfast, but there is something quite amazing about it.

This could be the ultimate beer for back porch relaxing, or enjoying after the lawn is cut. This was my first beer by the Leinenkugel family, but I will now be on the lookout for any more styles I can get my hands on.

2.13/5  rDev -36.6%

Purchaed in a "sampler" case with three other of their beers.. It was called the "Adventure Pack". Drinking this was an "adventure" not worth taking.
This poured a very cloudy orange color with decent carbonation and head.
The aroma wasa bit "offensive" to me, kind of like orange coolade and the taste was also of the same.
Not one I will buy again.

3.21/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A hazy golden color, with a thick, pure white head. Head stays around a long time.

Smells like spicy jelly beans, with a bit of malt and hops. This really comes across as over spiced to me.

Tastes like a peppery orange koolaid, where some health-conscious Mom added only half the sugar. The citrus is way too evident for my liking. I wouldn't necessarily consider a wit to be fruit beer but this one sure is. A halfway decent bitter finish does a little bit to save this brew for me.

I could drink this like water on a hot summer day no doubt. I bet the ladies will like it a lot more.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

A-poured a cloudy orange color with a healthy white hade that left behind some lacing.

S- very intense sweet fruits and citrus. Nothing else can be detected.

T- sweet fruits and sour citrus masks the wheat taste hidden far in the background. Somewhat of an artificial bitter aftertaste.

M-decent. light body with medium carbonation. very smooth.

D- this is a very drinkable beer if you like sweet tastes.

3.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Grabbed a sixxer of this at the corner store the other day along with my usual brew, just to taste. Figured I'd read about it on BA, I may as well delve into it.

It pours nicely, barely laces, with a quickly receding head. Cloudy and golden with a bright white head. Typical witbier fashion... tho I don't know if I'd actually consider this your typical wit.

Smell is blueberry overload. I don't know if it's just me, but holy hell, this is like, fruit central. I don't mind it, it's just not what I'm used to. Interesting and intriguing.

It's tastes alright. I'll say it's better than... blue moon. But it doesn't really hold a candle to true belgian wits. It's a fruity carbonated mixture... not offensive, but not a particularly well crafted brew. Every time I belch it feels like I just drank a glass of orange juice.

It's sweet and medium bodied and medium to heavy carbonated. Cloying? You be the judge. Maybe for me, but you may love it.

It's easy to drink but I don't see myself putting down more than two of these in a sitting. Blueberry overload, plus the cloying affect may get to me after more than a couple. I'll drink one and then move along to my hoppy goodness ;)

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%

Walked into an Applebees and this was the only thing they had on tap that I had not tried so I went for it. The waitress described it has a Blue Moon without the "bad after taste." I think's she is crazy, I don't think Blue Moon has a bad aftertaste. Anyway...

Poured a nice, golden orange color with a small, white head with almost no retention. A little bit of a lacing after the head disappears, but not too much. It smelled nice and fruity, which was nice; definitely reminded me of Blue Moon. A strong, fruity and citrusy taste with no real aftertaste. However, the citrus flavors were slightly more evident in this beer than in Blue Moon. It had a decent mouthfeel; a little on the thin side, but this may have been due to the fact that it was on tap. Pretty drinkable beer; seems pretty light and not too alcoholic. Can definitely get lost in a bunch of these and not even realize it.

3.7/5  rDev +10.1%

First time I'd seen Sunset Wheat in this part of the country. Lots of fresh lemon, citrus, and floral scents. Very unfiltered and cloudy, low head retention. Almost takes like a pilsner and lemonade combined, which isn't that bad of a thing. If this was a hot day and I just finished cutting the lawn or jogging, this one would hit the spot. One of the better Wit's around.

2.68/5  rDev -20.2%

Heavily hazed pale yellow in color with a stark head of paper white froth. Very little retention and lace.

Aroma is sweet and fruity, with a slight citric twang and subtle undertones of wheat. As it warms a bit, an undenyable blueberry pie note emerges.

Flavor nearly identical in description. Sweet, almost candylike citrus and blueberry flavors with subtle notes of citrus, lemon, pepper, and wheat. Wittesque, but definately not true to style and too sweet. The blueberry note is OK at first, but i really couldn't drink more than one or two of these. Note: I was burping artificial blueberry for like an hour after drinking this.

Body is rather light and refreshing with a slick, wheaty mouthfeel and soft, creamy carbonation. The mouthfeel is the most attractive aspect of this beer.

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a tap, the beer is a cloudy gold with a nice thick white head. A bit of lace as the beer is drunk, though I had the beer at a local bar that isn't known for its clean glassware (or its floors, dishes ... I digress).

The nose has a very forward lemony zest with a bit of citrus ... not grapefruit ... I couldn't place it. It definitely had a spicier note to it than most Wits ... peppercorn (?) maybe.

At first sip, I tasted notes of lemon, pepper, citrus, and a little wheat. However, after the second and preceding sips, the taste became far too sweet for my palate (almost like a Sam's Summer with lemonade). I'm not sure if it was the beer or the tap lines, but the sweetness became so overpowering to the point that I could not really taste much else.

The beer is well carbonated and is quite smooth. It's a bit chewy too, which really annoys me since the sugary taste just kills the beer for me. It’s a well structured beer minus the fact that the sweetness really knocks it off balance.

This beer is way too sweet for me. This might be a good way to get someone into beer by hitting them with this sugary Wit, but for someone who knows the style a little better I would not recommend this. It's just way too sugary.

2.6/5  rDev -22.6%

Appearance is wonderful. Light cloudy yellow with plenty of bubbles.

Smells good, citrusy, like an orange slice has already been added.

Taste is, well, sweet. And a little spicy... but too sweet for me. Tasted like orange soda or something.

Mouthfeel is a little flat and not very carbonated. It didn't agree with me. Actually if you leave it in a glass for more than a few minutes it gets way too flat.

Drinkability is poor. If I drank more than a few, it would feel like I just ate dessert. Definitely a one or 2 kinda beer.

Presentation: Shared a pitcher of this at alocal place with a pitcher and a pie deal. Arrived in a plastic pitcher with two chilled pint glasses.

Appearance: Pours with a 1 inch off white head. This settles into a thin coating of foam. The beer itself is a hazy medium yellow with the slightest hints of orange.

Smell: Very sweet and tart. Lots of fruit. Hints of oranges, Tang, blueberries, and lemons.

Taste: Upfront tartness as if from lemons or oranges. Heavy sweet undertones with a little bit of wheat tang. Finishes with a slightly acidic blueberry flavor.

Mouthfeel: Average level of carbonation, pretty foamy. Body of average.

Drinkability: I had this sitting inside with okay weather outside. I imagine this beer would have tasted a little better if I was sitting outside on a sunny day. Not bad, but the taste is almost too artificial for me.

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Hazy peach color with a decent white head and good carbonation. Interesting citrus fruity aroma and flavor; akin to orange juice. The coriander is not really noticeable at all. Light-medium bodied with a biting citrus finish.

An average hybrid American Wheat/Wit that I wouldn't bother buying again... esp. at insane Las Vegas prices.

Per 6-pack Carrier: "Brewed with Malted Wheat, Cluster Hops, and Natural Coriander"

Per JL website:
Malts: Wheat and Pale
Hops: Cluster
4.9% ABV
2006 GABF - Silver - Herb and Spice Beer

'04307' lasered on neck
Tasted: 02/27/07

($11.84 / 6-pack with tax included ... ouch !)

3.18/5  rDev -5.4%

I'm glad there's a note added about blueberry being added. I thought I might have been handed a Wachusett Blueberry by accident. There's nothing offensive about this beer, which is a good place to start. The flavor is just too spicey/fruity (mostly blueberry). There's hardly any normal beer flavors. I like those, but maybe I'm just a stickler.

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Bought a six-pack on the advice of BA.

A- Nice and cloudy, poured with a nice white head, which hung around.

S- A lot of fruit citrus, smells inviting on a warm day.

T- A lot of lemon, but very sweet, a little too sweet.

M- A good body, nice for a light "lawnmower" beer.

D- This would be a good beer after doing some chores around the house on a summer day.

I tried this right after an Allagash White, but there is no comprison, the Allagash blows this away, but the Leinie is lighter, so it may be better after a hot day.

2.92/5  rDev -13.1%

poured into a wheat glass with a large bowl on top from a 12oz brown bottle with a twist off cap.

Cloudy,with yellowy/golden hazyiness. a 1" white head quickly dissapated into a foam ring around the glass. Slight carbination not much for a wheat beer,some webby lacing halfway down the glass

Very clean with zesty lemon aromas and some berry. Smelled like freshly baked lemon drop cookies.

Sweet tangy lemon with hints of berries and a clean slightly citrus finish. Like drinking carbinated lemonade. No real wheat chacteristics to this beer.
Some of those Mikes's malt beverages come to mind.

Light and tangy with some pleasing puckering tartness.Would taste great after mowing the lawn. Too much of a ladies drink for me,it does go down easily though. If you like lemonade give it a try

2.66/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a hazy golden orange color with a large white head that has pretty good retention and lacing. The aroma is highly fruity with mainly orange and blueberry notes and a touch of spice. The smell is too artificial-like and smells a lot like Fruit Loops or Fruity Pebbles. The taste has a noticeable wheat characteristics with more of the artificial fruit/citrus flavors. The mouthfeel is too undercarbonated and watery. Overall, this is just too artificial for my liking. Would make a great beverage for the women and kids though.

2.76/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a cloudy orange with a big two finger head. Head settles quickly and leaves no lacing. Aroma is big on sweet orange and wheat. Slightly articifical smelling. Taste is oranges, pineapple and blueberries. Too sweet. Moutfeel is rather thin with a cloying swallow. Sugar stays on your tounge long after swallowing. Way too sweet to drink more than one. An interesting alternative to Blue Moon, but not necessarily better.

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours light orange, slight translucency, a finger and a half of foamy head, quickly dissipating. Slight lacing throughout. Nose is immediately sweet wheats, like Fruit Loops. Taste follow with a Fruit Loopiness up front (sugary and wheaty) but does balance out a bit. That sweetness sticks in the back of your mouth a bit, though. Not your standard witbier, interesting and good after some heavier beers.

3.14/5  rDev -6.5%

Cloudy golden yellow with an inch-thick fluffy white head that disippated to 1/5 of an inch with good lacing.

Smelled just like a bowl of Fruity Pebbles. The fruits overwhelmed all other smells on this beer.

Tasted of fruit, then wheat, then malt and hops subdued underneath.

Mouthfeel was good and refreshingly carbonated, fairly light-bodied.

A refreshing and very drinkable beer, but because of all the fruit taste and smell in this beer, I can't drink more than 2 at a time. Still a good summertime beer.

3.35/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Light straw with a little orange. Small white head that doesn't stick around long.

S- Extremely sweet nose. Orange juice and blueberry muffins. Smells like breakfast! Almost too sweet, though.

T- Slightly tart upfront with the orange juice flavor. A little wheat flavor in the middle, but not a lot. Spices are fairly mild compared with some other examples of the style, but the coriander is noticeable with a citrusy flavor. Crisp wheat and more sweet blueberries on the finish, with the tiniest hint of bitterness that is gone before you can blink.

M- Pretty thin, fairly highly carbonated. Nothing remarkable.

D- Could be a decent quencher. I might have a couple on a hot day.

About what I expected. Nothing incredible, but not bad either. It's better than Blue Moon, anyway. Not something I'd buy again, but finishing up the six pack won't be an unpleasant task.

2.85/5  rDev -15.2%

a: a pale yellow color with about a quarter inch worth of white head that dissapears quickly leaving little to no lacin
s: clean sharp aroma notes of bitterness
t: a crisp flavored, cant really taste the hint of blueberry promised kind of a strange flavor...orange?
m: diffinate sharp carbonation

overall this is a fair beer, not as bad as others have said, im not a fan of the style but its better than other wits ive had. i think this is a sessionable beer, one might get the beer farts if sessioned though

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company