Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev -6.8%

Cloudy yellow-orange wheat on tap at Buffalo Raceway Brewfest. Moderately cidery aroma. Sourness aggressive carbonation and drying. Average drinkability. Medium to lighter mouthfeel, with a bit of fruit and wheat in here.A summer beer served by surprise at the end of winter, and not too unwelcome.

3.63/5  rDev +8%

Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass.

Unfiltered wheat beer/ hefe look. Minimal head.

Fairly intense citrus aroma. Strong lemon with orange on the side.

Sweet wheat and grain, with edges of lemon and orange make up the flavor. There was something else I couldn't put my finger on, then after reading a bit about this beer I found out it's blueberry, which is interesting for this style. After finding this now I can't not taste the blueberry. Faint Belgian spices are also detectable.

As is the style this brew is very drinkable. A bit heavy on the citrus though for my taste. I'm sure this is served on tap with a giant orange slice on the glass, which would just put it over the edge into complete overkill. A little lighter on the fruit, and a bit heavier on the wheat and I could really get into it. It has peaked my interest into looking for other Leinenkugel brews.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

Served on tap at PJW in Blue Bell. Cloudy and opaque in appearance with a thin white collar of foam. Aroma was citrusy and with a hint of blueberries. The flavor was mild by witbier standards, almost like a hoegaarden mixed with an american pale wheat ale. There was a definite fake froot loops quality in the flavor as well. Not bad, not good, just present. Oh and of course there was the lovely blueberry taste as well. Very pleasant unless you dislike blueberries I suppose. Mouthfeel was light, crisp and went down smoothly. If by chance I ever see this beer again it would drink well on a warm summer evening. Nice job.

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

To tell the truth, I could sum this one up in three words: “Fruity Pebbles Cereal.” I challenge anyone to take a smell and a drink and not think of fruity pebbles.

A: Slightly cloudy, but not opaque. Nice color, aptly named beer.
S: As I said; Fruity Pebbles. There’s other stuff there, but I can’t get paste that insane amount of faux fruit.
T: Similar to the smell. A bit of that mass-produced staleish aftertaste, but nothing off-putting.
M: A good beer to enjoy on a warm day.
D: Same as above.

Notes: I bought a sixer on a whim and although it’s not great, I don’t regret it. I’m sure they’ll be gone well before they get close to going bad. Hell, I’m sure they’ll be gone well before the days start getting hat.

Butch

3.78/5  rDev +12.5%

12 oz. bottle; brewed with malted wheat, cluster hops, coriander, and hints of blueberry. It pours into the weizen glass a cloudy peach/tangerine, with medium carbonation that builds up two fingers of white head before reducing to an eighth of a inch and distributing sparse lacing. It smells of orange juice and blueberry muffins, with a light spiciness and maybe some anise. The body is light and crisp, with airy carbonation and flavors of tart wheat, orange peel/orange soda, spicy coriander, a lemony twang, blueberry, and perhaps some banana, all of which combine to impart a medium finish. Definitely a sessionable beer, and one I found to have both witbier and American pale wheat characteristics.

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%

This is my first Leinenkugel brew and I thought I'd give em a try. Here goes nothing!

Pours into my Hefe glass a hazy golden/orange color, thin white head which leaves some nice lacing behind. I suppose this is a typical looking wit. Very interesting aromas, floral, spicy and fruity... Coriander, lemon and orange peel are very apparent, followed by and underlying note of blueberry. Very pleasing and very nice! The taste is mostly fruity, slightly floral and slightly spicy. Tastes of blueberry and a nice soft malty flavor start out and linger as the orange peel kicks in towards the middle of my draught and it finishes with a nice spicy hop and coriander flavor with lingering orange peel. Certainly a different Wit, but damn is it nice! Light to medium bodied + low ABV makes this a great session beer and it's quite quaffable!

I went in a little weary but came out rather impressed and surprised. I'll have to visit more of Leinenkugle's lineup soon.

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%

Nice cloudy pour with a decent head. Light amber. Looks nice. WTF is that smell? The Trix reviewers are right. They have hit the nose on this beer. Smells like nothing natural on god's green earth. Smells like man created citrus. Taste is actually not bad. Some lemon zing, some wheat, but then than smell comes back at you. Smooth body, great mouthfeel, and a good drinkability. But you've got to be able to get past the smell to enjoy the benefits this beer has to offer.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours from 12oz bottle(BB05/28/07) a cloudy yellow orange with a smallish head of foam that looks to fade away completely but never does. It also has some fine lacing.

The smell is very strongly of lemon with just a touch of wheat noticeable.

The taste is very refreshing...there's lots of lemon with some wheat and, for me, even some orange tones that appear right before the finish which starts out on the bitter side but ends up being dry and crisp. Good stuff.

Bottom line: A nice refreshing example of the style that should help with the summer time heat. I like it.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat pours to a cloudy golden color with a nice amount of foam that fades quickly. The scent of citrus and coriander fills the air following a good pour.

This beer has a taste that emphasizes fruit, with lemon and a touch of orange dominating. The flavor of coriander isn’t too far behind, followed by wheat and other light herbs. There is only a faint taste of hops and the beer is sweet overall. Many have compared the aroma to fruit cereal and the taste to a breakfast fruit drink. Both of these descriptions are pretty accurate. The coriander flavor is also evident, but it doesn’t overwhelm and among all the flavors, the fruit is the one that stands out the most.

Overall, Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat is a nice, refreshing beer product that is fruity and easy- drinking. It is less expensive than other craft beer and Leinenkugel products enjoy a wide distribution base. I’m enjoying mine right now, in the cold of winter but this seems like a beer that was made for the summer season. The light refreshment and the fruity flavor make it a fine brew for warm weather drinking.

3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

Sort of peach colored and quite hazy with a big frothy, fluffy white head. Big sticky lacing is everywhere.

Very fruity up front, citric (possibly residual from the lemon slice I removed from the glass). That blueberry note that I've read about here somewhere is quite obvious and prevalent. A bit grainy as well. Others have accurately described it as cereal-like. It's interesting, but doesn't feel natural. It smells artificially flavored, I mean.

Very sweet and grainy on the palate. A bit of a honey buttered biscuit flavor was in there. The fruit definitely tries to make itself known, blueberry again.

Creamy and thick, lots of body for the style. Very smooth. Very sweet, but still reasonably well balanced.

Easy to drink and pretty tasty. An interesting take on the style. Could definitely be a crossover beer too.

This to me is a beer that is marketing itself towards non beer drinkers.

The apperance is very very hazy, almost opaque.

The aroma is very much like everyone else has said, very sweet and trix or fruity pebble esque.

The flavor is way too sweet for this beer drinker. It really had the taste of taking a wheat beer and mixing it 3 to 1 with Orange Juice.

The mouthefeel was heavy and very full.

Lastly I think the drinkability would lend itself to a Mimosa drinker or someone who enjoys a sweet and sugary cocktail.

I know there is a market for it, I am just in that catagory.

Better luck next time Leiny!

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours about as hazy as you can get... light golden color with a full finger white head that is kept alive by visible carbonation. Some lacing present.

The aroma is really quite unique; immediately associate with Trix cereal. I said that to a buddy of mine who's been exploring fruity beers and he did know what Trix cereal was. Go buy a box to experience the similarity.

The flavor is very sweet; matches the smell. It tasted creamy and almost refreshing. I was taken by the uniqueness.

The mouth feel had a bit of a snag for me though. There was a lingering thick sandy feeling on my tongue that got worse as i finished the pint. I think that I'll pass on this one in the future. Was that an allergic reaction?

4.3/5  rDev +28%

This beer is quite unique from all of the other beers that I have had. Upon drinking this beer the first thing I thought about was Trix Cereal. The beer didn't taste like beer in trix, but the acutal beer tasted like Trix. It was really fruity. So after drinking this I recommended that my friends get a keg of it for everyone to drink. This was great because even the girls at the party could easily drink it.

I really recommend this beer if you want to try something different and fruity.

4.13/5  rDev +22.9%

So, I liked the color and hazy hue of this witbier. I assume the name "sunset" may have been inspired by the look of this beer served in a round goblet. It is very aromatic and fruity to the nose. I would call the mouthfeel "medium bodied" and the flavor lingers a bit after swallowing. This beer is very pleasant and easy to drink. The only thing I would like to see changed is the blueberry "shot" is a bit overwhelming, Nice to see a larger brewery going up against Blue Moon (Coor's Belgian White Ale).

2.73/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Eye:Purs a hazy, cloudy, lemon yellow color, with little signs of carbonation at first glance. When looked at for more than just a second one can see the carbonation bubbles rising through the haze of this brew. The head is white with a bit of a yellowish tint with fairly poor lacing qualitites but with somewhat decent retention. Looks about average for the style.

Nose: Wow! very potent aroma. Don't even have to get near the glass to smell this one. Just pouring it into the glass fills the room with this beer's aroma. Very fruity aroma in this beer, huge blueberry aroma. Also notes of some citrus character-common for the sytle, espicially orange aromas and a hint of some spiciness although it is behind everything else. In my opinion a little too much blueberry.

Tongue: This is a beer that benefits from being served colder. When colder the wateriness, which I now perceive, is not as upfront. Nice blueberry character mixed in witht the orange and slight spiciness that this brew offers. Bitterness is just enough to balance this out, though this beer leans more towards the side of cloyingly sweet that balanced. Wheat malt is not the primary flavor, rather the blueberry and orange are.

Drinkability and Mouthfeel: This is a beer that I will most likely not be buying again. It is just too hard to drink, too sweet for my taste. Not all that reminiscent of the Wit bier style it trys to emulate. Mouthfeel is thin and watered down, not quite as noticable though if served colder. Finishes on the dry side.

2.2/5  rDev -34.5%

I agree with what most people have said about the beer. The best part of the beer was the color and head. The beer had an overwhelming smell and taste of lemon zest. The lemon flavor and aroma was completely over powering. The first few sips were enjoyable but after that the flavors were to much. I sruggled through the bottle.

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

This beer was served to me on draft. It appeared to be a murky greenish yellow color with no head. The smell was extremely fruity - rather nice. The taste was a bit like cough syrup mixed with a liquified lemon candy. The mouthfeel was light to medium bodied. As for drinkablity, this beer would be a bit much for me - it made my mouth pucker. If you like fruity beers, this would be worth a try.

2.68/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Picked up a six pack of this last night at Harris Teeter in Fuquay at the behest of my girlfriend, who thought she might like it (she doesn't really like beer too much). She didn't really so I'll see if I can salvage the purchase here. Pours a nice mellow straw color with a lighter bottom than top and plenty of cloudiness. Head is thin but resiliant. Nose is extremely fruity, almost nauseatingly so, lemon zest is in there but blueberries are the real monster in the room. Fresh wheat flavors at least keep it semi-on track.

Sugary and full of fruit flavors up front with some balance following but not really enough to keep this one grounded. Heavy blueberries and citrus but waaaay too sweet for me. Mouthfeel is respectable but doesn't ssave the taste. For me, this is an overdone fruit beer as oppossed to a wit. There is some tallent here, it's just flawed and need some tweaking. It is quenching but I just can't drink much of it at once. Maybe I'll save the rest for the summer because I'm definitely not feeling them now.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

A: This beer has a good look to it. The bottle is nicely represented with a good unique label. This beer has a haze look to it, letting you know that this beer has substance.

S: The smell of this beer has a sweet tone, feels like you are about to have a piece of pie. Definitely has a fruitful scent to it.

T: High sweet tones with a decent citrus and berry flavor. Good balance of sweet with the malt taste you expect from a good beer.

M-D: The feel of this beer makes it highly drinkable. I could really have a few of these on a nice sunday, but with all the beers still to try I will have this beer once in a while.

2.9/5  rDev -13.7%

Nice color and slightly cloudy. The aroma is strong with coriander and fruity sweet.

This is a nice beer with breakfast. Sweet and fruity flavor with a light body. The finish is dry and the aftertaste like a fruity kids cereal.

Definitely a one a day beer.

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Hazy golden hue with a one finger white head that slowly settles to a thin cap. Stringy lacing along the glass.

Light wheat scents with a bit of spice. Blueberry comes through in the background.

The crisp wheat flavor sets up the light spice that comes along with sweet blueberry. Mild hoppiness is hidden and comes out toward the end. Light bodied with high carbonation, giving the beer a fizzy feel.

A lot of standard witbier (spice and sharp wheat) are found along with a blueberry flavor that adds a unique characteristic. Overall, it seems pretty average.

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours cloudy yellow with a thin head that soon becomes a patch.

The smell is fruity - mostly blueberry with some orange, lemon, a hint of lime.

The taste is sweet candy-like fruitiness - like aroma, mainly blueberry orange with some lemon and lime. Sweet and tangy with a touch of wheat crispness. Something aritificial about fruitiness. Sugary sweetness in the finish.

The feel is light-bodied, but not too watery - decent for the style.

The sweetness and candy-like fruitiness is too much for me personally. Might be okay in the summer - reminds me of a carbonated Tang in a way. Or better like a Fruit Roll-Up, as there is a plastic-like taste in the sweetness.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours out a cloudy light yellowish golden with a small, but thick white head.

Smell. Has a very potent aroma...very strong. What i get is tons of fruits, being very sweet. Fruit role-ups first come to mind with some flinstone vitamins. I feel like an idiot with those 2 suggestions, but this is honestly what i get.

Taste. Is a bit more tamed down than the aroma. Blueberries come out a whole lot more here. has a light and slightly tart flavor that is a bit refreshing, but just a little strange. little bit of a lemony citrus to it as well. Aftertaste gets a little more like the aroma.

Mouthfeel. Body isnt bad at all. small but crisp carbonation characteristic. balance seems to be fine for a wit.

Overall, i think this is one of those few beers that really stands out with it's uniqueness. I like the fact that i have not had a beer similar to this at all. In fact, there are quite a bit of characteristics in this beer that i dont think are beer-like, but it works (for me). Would be great on a hot afternoon.

Leinenkugel- Sunset Wheat
Appearance- Bright hazy yellow with a big foamy white head.
Smell- Lemon and blueberry.
Taste- Big lemon and grass flavor up front with a mild blueberry flavor through the middle to end.
Mouthfeel- Sweet with more of a flavored ice-tea flavor and feel.

Overall- You would swear you were drinking iced-tea. Not horrible but this must be served up while floating in a pool on a hot July day!

4.43/5  rDev +31.8%

I bought this one after reading the front page article, I really enjoyed this beer, but I may have noticed things in it I wouldn't have noticed had I not been pointed to it.

Appearance: Poured into a pilsner glass, cloudy, with the bubbles continuously visible rising from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: The first note was citrusy, but then warmer, and sweeter, slowly melding to a blueberry note.

Taste: Sweet but sour almost like a candy. The blueberry aroma masks most of the hops, but they do tone back the beer to keep it from being undrinkable.

Drinkability: I typically sit down with a single brew over dinner, but this one I had to grab a second, and would have grabbed a third had I not wanted to save them for the rest of the week.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company