Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

$1.30 for a single @ Jacks. Having had Leiny's in the past and not having liked any of them I am very skeptical, but this was recommended by a friend whose judgment in beer I can generally trust. This one pours out to a truly milky faint peach color, forming a soapy white head. Despite a vigorous pour, retention is poor and lacing is minimum. Moderate carbonation. The aroma is pleasantly surprising and smells very nice...tons of fresh orange, like orange julius, as well as coriander and bubblegum with a nice sweetness and clean ferment. No phenols. Thankfully, no adjuncty or off-putting aromas. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean with a medium-light body. The taste is very good...opens up with a bold fresh (yet candy-like) orange flavor and coriander. Bitterness is mild and there is a well-balanced malty sweetness throughout. Fresh orange lingers in the aftertaste with an orange-pith like bitterness which I find pleasant and helps to maintain it's drinkability. I could use a little more fresh hop bitterness in the finish because as it stands, I think the sweetness would get to me after about 3 of these. Thankfully, it's nowhere near as sickly sweet as their Berry-Weiss.

Pleasantly surprised! The first good beer I've had from Leinenkugel. I would buy this again, and I think I will snatch up a 6 pack before they disappear, as they are probably falling out of season. This is nearly as good as Vuuve (in a similar way) and Celis (in a different way), and far surpasses Blue Moon and Sam Adams as far as macrobrewed Wit's go. Recommended!

Mitchster, Sep 19, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -9.6%

A: Had this at the Brett Favre steakhouse in GB. Poured a cloudy yellow color with small head, no lacing.
S: Smells citrusy, slight yeasty scent
T: Tastes spicy kind of funky. Maybe corriander and orange peel
M: Flat flat flat
D: Not too bad, I kind of like the funkiness in this one. Was the best brew from Leinenkugel that I had in my opinion.

loren01, Sep 18, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a hazy yellow copper with quickly dissipating head. The smell is anise, candy, citrus, bubble gum and or fruity pebbles. Taste is not bad, but there is medium to weak body, the complexity is all in front and doesn't last through the end. Honestly it doesn't do too much for me and I wont buy it again( Thank heavens a friend gave it to me and I didn't buy it). If you want a real wheat beer this is not it, leave this to the kids.

mmcave, Sep 09, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +20.3%

this was the best Leinenkugel's beer I have had to date. The appearance was fantastic. Just not enough head or excitement with the color for me to give a 5.
The smell was good as well. Lots of fruit characteristics, mainly citrus. So much orange that it was almost too much and too focused on one flavor.
Taste was the same as the smell, with a bit of dark fruit taste peaking through.
Mouthfeel was thin however.
Drinkability was right where it should have been.

supercolter, Sep 06, 2006
2.78/5  rDev -17%

A- Cloudy yellow with no head after it was placed in front of me.

S- Very tart citrus, like grapefruit, with lemon and coriander. I have smelled this before in diet soft drink. Fresca anyone.

T&M- Grainy wheat but doesn't coat the palate. Very sweat and fizzy. Grapefruit with lemon and spicy coriander. Very juicy and not very beery. Very slick. This is more Fresca than beer.

D- I could barely finish this one. I love wheat ales but this just about killed me. My mom would love this.

teg8612, Sep 05, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +32.2%

Pours a hazy yellow color with a thick white head that dissipates to a creamy 1/8inch head that lasts the entire drink. Excellent aroma with the strong smell of orange and hints of lemon zest and blueberry. I loved the taste of this beer! True, it's different, but that is part of the appeal. Very smooth taste with a citrus fruity flavor that is very refreshing.

Tuey13, Sep 04, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -14.9%

Cloudy yellow with a thin head of tiny white boubles. Aroma is strange but not altogether offputting mix of lemon zest and peptobismal. This beer is light bodied and very high in astringincy with a thin and artifical citrus flavor that is seriously like drinking the yellow Fruit Loops. Honestly I'm kinda into this, but it is very funky, and near the bottom of my list for the style and the brewery. Refreshing though.

JudgeRoughneck, Aug 31, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -4.5%

This is a unique beer. Probably not a beer that I'd have two or more in succession, though. It would be a good choice to offer to a "non-beer drinking" friend - especially if the friend is female. It just might convert them.

The appearance is light-straw and cloudy. Smell is lemony. The taste is very unique, like oranges and lemons and fresh cut flowers with very little noticeable malt or hops. A number of my friends have compared this to Blue Moon but I find it to be quite different - in a good way. Worth trying once.

Hap, Aug 22, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance
This beer looks interesting, pouring a hazy pale orange with a 1/2 finger head. Produced nice lacings and was decently carbonated.

Aroma
This beer smelt mostly like orange, with a hint of lemoniness from the coriander. Some grassy-skunky hops were buried in there somewhere, and i may have imagined doughy white bread scents.

Taste
Reminded me of an orange creamsicle with some coriander tang. There was just a hint of grassy hops, as well as a faint hint of the wheat.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied creamy, citrusy and somewhat tart. Not a balanced brew as the orange predominates, and theres only hints of the wheat.

Drinkability
I happened to enjoy orange creamsicles as a kid, and as such i found this to be drinkable, and enjoyed how it took me back to summer as a kid. It wasnt much of a beer, but was enjoyable in more of a guilty pleasure fashion. Could knock a few of these back, although i would suggest avoiding it if you dont like orange creamsicles. Might make a good crossover beer for an appropriately targeted audience.

demcorhip, Aug 22, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried this beer very quickly after it came out, as I am a huge Leinenkugel's fan. It did not disappoint. Pours a golden/orange color with a nice head. Has hints of citrus and blueberry in the aroma. The taste was great, a nice fullness with hints of blueberry, citrus and corriander. A very refreshing drink on a hot day, but I believe will still stand up for a fuller winter beer.

milljs, Aug 15, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +17.3%

This is the kind of sour you get from kissing your own sister(I can say this because I don't have one.). Sour because she is beautiful and you are in love and you have yet to learn that she is indeed your sister. A chance encounter kind of sour but with this one you're perpetually suspended in the moment that you are first told so that sour is good and the world is still beautiful and you're in love and your sister is still your girl. You get the point. A renegade wheat beer with a pucker face that doesn't go into a full blown suck. Light, citrusy and tangy as a nine volt battery.

thelagerheads, Aug 11, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -14.9%

This Pale Wheat Ale while not great, does have some nice things going for it. The appearance is of a blonde wheat, light orange, nice and cloudy. Decent head retention, and plenty of hefe in the pour. The aroma tart. Ditto for the taste. The overwhelming thing about this beer is the lemon. This ale should be advertised as a lemon wheat ale. The body was thin, and while one cannot discern any hops, the finish is dry.

Not a bad ale, but just the same, it is not one to get excited about.

jpkoch1962, Aug 10, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

Miller Brewing introduced this beer to counteract the success their rival Coors brewing had had with their Blue Moon offering. After pouring a glass of the Leinenkugel's Sunset wheat out I notice that it had a distinct blond appearance much similar to that of Blue Moon. The smell was uninspiring. After tasting the beer I was pleased to find a nice sweet and smooth taste. The beer gopes down easy and it doesn't take long for 1 beer to be finished off. I am disappointed to report that the relative differences between this and Blue Moon are farely undistinguishable in my opinion. However, this beer does feel good while watching the sun set over a midwestern lake. Not a bad beer for the summer months at all. I would recommend this to anyone who has some time to kill up at the lake or enjoys sweet wheat beers.

tcayiajr, Aug 07, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

3.5's across the board on this one. Not great by any means, but above average and no doubt drinkable in my humble opinion.

In the past Leine beers have done little to nothing for me, this was a nice surprise however.

Upon pouring there was the predictable cloudy haze, that one would attribute to the style. The head wasn't massive by any means, but managed to hold out for most of the glass and left some nice belgian lace.

The aroma reminded me of a Belgian Wit. Citrus was the defining scent, though there were some underlying spices as well. Pretty decent smelling brew all in all.

not a ton of wheat in the tasting profile, but just enough to let one know it's a wheat beer. The same citrus that's predominant in the smell, also is the alpha taste characteristic. Not really tasting much beyond that actually, but hey it's nice and refreshing on a summer's night, if not overly complex.

I'm going to stick with my initial 3.5's across the board here. Would I choose this if given the choice between this and countless other beers? Likely not, but for what it is... a no frills average American wheat beer, you can do alot worse.

JoeyHotrod, Aug 05, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a weizen glass (what the heck). The beer is a hazy dark yellow. A smallish head (about 1/2 inch) forms after a vigorous pour. The head has some staying power before it fades to a nice cover on the liquid. Some olacing as the beer is consumed.

Smell: Wow, this is one citrousy mf. I get a solid blast of lemon from this.

Taste: After smelling this I am anticipating a nice citrusy zing, perhaps a little tartness. What I get is definitely a lemony zesty taste, but its also ridiculously sweet. Touch sour on the finish. No bitterness here, not even really malty.

Mouthfeel: Light, well carbonated. A little prickly on the tongue.

Drinkability: An easy drinker, not bad, but just too sweet for me to enjoy more than one at a time. This one be a good chick beer or maybe for some one who really doesn't like the taste of beer and likes alcopops.

BigRedN, Aug 03, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat
12 oz bottle
Recent bottling, sipped on 07/30
Medium pour in a tulip glass

Poured a cloudy golden outer edge with a denser orange copper middle with a disappointingly fast dissapating 1/4 inch head.

Smelt of candied oranges, like orange gummi bears.

Taste a pleasant ascent into candied oranges, reminescent of orange gummy candy, followed by a hint of spicy flowery wheat and settling into a short sourness. A bit short and timid though. Mouthfell was light and effervescent.

Overall, a surprisingly tasty refreshing summer wheat lacking only complexity and length.

xav33, Aug 02, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +6%

Was out at a local pub last night and surprised to see this one as the only non-BMC selection (not totally true as SNPA and Oberon were represented, but have gotten a bit sated with those lately.) Anyway, decided to give it a shot. Very similar to Oberon on the whole. Orangish, hazy appearance, with a pretty full whitish-tan head. Smells of citrus. Typical orange aroma is there--too much as unbenownst to me they brought the first out with an orange wedge in it--remedied the second time. Also the typical wheat and slight spice (never sure what to call it--corrander?) smell. Pretty appealing. The taste is wheat up front and almost overwhelming fruity sweetness at the back of the swallow. Oddly enough, blueberries overshadowed the typical orange taste. At first this taste was very appealing. By the end of the beer, and certainly with the second, though, it becomes a bit too much. Mouthfeel is pretty light and crisp. Nothing special. On the whole, this is a pretty decent beer to sit outside and drink on a warm summer night, though after a second round, my mouth is screaming for heavy doses of water as the sugary sweetness has become a bit too much.

macpapi, Jul 30, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -20.9%

aw, man... this was disappointing for me. I like some of the other Leine's Brews... like the Honey Weiss, but this one let me down.

I hate to say something bad about a beer, but...

Anyway, the appearance was average for a wheat beer...good golden cloudy color. The smell was very nice, it smelled of citrus..and something else (some of you guys are saying coriander). The taste just doesn't do it for me, at all. It is overly seasoned with whatever else is in here. The mouthfeel is good as the brew feels smooth (regardless of taste). Drinkability...Sorry. This has to be the lowest I have ever rated a beer on drinkability. I am having a hard time finishing the one I just poured. And to think I bought a "sixer".

Not to slam this beer, but overall I was not overly impressed.

eb003, Jul 28, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -23%

A: Very hazy light brown (not orangish or yellow) with some white head made of fine bubbles.

S: Lemon! Lemon! Lemon! It made me think of sunscreen as well. Pretty overpowering on the citrus front.

T: More lemon! And more! The wheat character was subtly there, but mostly it felt like a lemon-beer, not a wheat beer. At first, it was interesting, but after that I wasn't thrilled. Tasted like beer for non-beer drinkers.

M: Pretty smooth, actually, but at the end the carbonation was irritating. The sour lemon sticks with you.

D: Maybe it'd be better after a long day of sweaty work. Other than that, it ain't that great.

MDekker, Jul 27, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +10.4%

This beer pours a hazy yellow with a white head that fizzles down to a ring around my glass.

The aroma is of coriander, orange, banana, and like my wife said, fruity pebbles cereal.

The flavor is of wheat malt, coriander, orange, citrus in general.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This is a decent drinkable beer. Good summer and session brew.

Brian700, Jul 19, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

Leinie’s Sunset Wheat is a great alternative to the fine coriander taste of Blue Moon. Sunset Wheat is a thinnish lager that pours nicely into a pint glass but loses its head rather quickly. I tasted orange/coriander bursts throughout this enjoyable brew, but was very taken by a strong impression of blueberries. This beer will make a great addition to the Leinenkugel year-round stable, and is heartily recommended for anyone looking for something a little different for their next cookout.

keoki182, Jul 16, 2006
2.03/5  rDev -39.4%

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat was served in a plastic cup. The beer was cloudy with a pink peach color topped by a resepectable white head. The smell consisted of tangerines and lemon zest. Flavor was sweet and fruity with lots of citrus flavors. The beer was very highly carbonated with a thin body.

This tasted more like Sprite or Fresca than beer. I almost finished my cup. My friends seemed to like it though. It's beer for people who don't like beer.

frazbri, Jul 12, 2006
3.43/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours out to a light yellow cloudy color with a medium level of carbonation. Head of white foam dissipates at a reasonable rate. Some lace. Aroma smells like the Trix bunny crapped in my beer. Lots of artificial fruity smells, berries, citrus, bananas. Very much Trix like. Taste is amazingly similar: Trix. Mild maltiness blends again with medium fruity flavors of berries, citrus and a touch of estery bananas. Some notes of grass and hay. Mouthfeel is good, refreshing and bubbly. Rather smooth. Drinkability is only average, I'm getting bored with this already. Interesting, yet lackluster and contrived. Worth a sample.

Frozensoul327, Jul 10, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -1.5%

Hugely cloudy apricot with pale banana edges. The cap is lemon-tinted ivory in color and may be the creamiest Leinie's crown that I've seen yet. It's substantial enough to last and tacky enough to deposit lace in sudsy streamers. A textbook APWA appearance.

Beer of this style needs a hook, something to allow it to rise above simple, liquid white bread. Most good one use hops. Sunset Wheat uses coriander, a good choice. The nose is sweet and tangily wheaty and is just spicy enough to be distinctive and more interesting than the style average. Do I smell blueberries as well? Odd.

I actually had hopes that this would be my favorite beer of the Leinenkugel's line... and then I tasted it. That isn't to say that it's bad beer, just that it doesn't please my taste buds as much as it pleases my nose. Like most beer from this brewery, it suffers from a serious lack of malt; not as noticeable here as in some other styles, but still.

I'm glad that the website lists 'natural' coriander as one of the ingredients (is there any other kind?) because the coriander flavor tastes artificial to me, extract-like. It's a sweet, perfume-like flavor that doesn't taste much like the coriander that I've come to know and love in good witbiers. In fact, it tastes like grains of paradise. I guess it was too much to ask for these guys to actually nail a new beer, but I have to give them points for trying something different.

The body is light to light-medium. Again, not a problem in a style that isn't meant to be chewy. Still though, a little light creaminess would be welcome. At least it isn't bubbled to within an inch of its life.

I hadn't heard good things about Sunset Wheat, but it's actually decent beer and is an acceptable summer quaffer if well-chilled. I have to give Leinenkugel's credit for thinking outside the box with regard to the coriander (and something else?). Too bad they seem to have an inherent inabililty to brew truly good beer.

BuckeyeNation, Jul 08, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

Nice to see this seasonal come about.
It pours a cloudy yellow with a fair white head that holds up well. Lace was spotty at best.
The aroma was slight wheat malt but mostly citric hop, lemon zest and spice.
The taste again mostly citric with lemon and lime over the wheat base.
The mouth was left alittle tart & alittle dry.
Overall a good little spring beer thats drinkable while not overpowering.

chilidog, Jul 08, 2006