Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
3.05/5  rDev -9%

(Served in a white plastic cup)

A- This beer had a golden blonde body that glowed through the cup and a thin white film of head on top.

S- The smell of perfumed apricots was strong and a bit chemical followed by a soft noble hop finish.

T- The sweet taste of apricots was not a perfumy as the smell with a nice soft wheat flavor that followed. There as a faint spicy to the noble hops in the finish.

M-This beer had a light mouthfeel.

D- This beer was very perfume in the apricot flavor and they tasted a bit artificial which made it hard to get through the bottom of the glass.

rhoadsrage, Jun 29, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -11.9%

Tried this at a bar with otherwise lacking offerings...

Hazy yellow, almost radioactive color. Medium head.
Smells like lemons, oranges.
Considering the haze, very light on the wheat for what I was expecting. Smooth and creamy for the most part, but overidden by a sugary sweetness that is not entirely pleasant.

MeLikeBeer, Jun 29, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +11.3%

12 oz bottle. New at my local store so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm not particularly crazy about most Leine's brews, but what the hell..

Very cloudy straw color, fizzy white head that doesn't stay around too long.
As for the aroma...wow..this is different. Big time blueberries, fresh-sliced lemon, and tons of citrus..the kind that won't come off your hands after you eat an orange. A bit artificial, but certainly bold enough to get my attention..one of the strongest smelling wheats I've come across for sure.
I actually think I may have enjoyed this one quite a bit.. between the viciously bold blueberry and lemon zest, combined with the wheat character..this turns out to be a surprisingly tasty summer brew. Very refreshing albeit a bit cloying..I can't argue with the fact that this one does sorta hit the spot on a 90 degree day.

If you like this, try the Sea Dog Blue Paw Wheat by Sea Dog Brewing Co.. similar flavor and both wheats.

This may just taste weird (and fruity) enough to be a really good crossover beer for some...a few girls I know have tried this and liked it (who typically won't drink any beer I offer them)...I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for this brew, but this is the most innovate thing from Leine's I think I've ever tasted.

hero27, Jun 28, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -19.4%

The non-beer drinkers at lunch the other day were shocked when I suggested they try this. One said, "I could drink this!" The other said, "This isn't beer, it's carbonated apple juice." Indeed, it is beer. Unfortunately, it doesn't taste like beer and, while it is extremely drinkable and refreshing (e.g., over BBQ on the deck), Leinie's is missing the point. Or are they? Watching non-beer drinkers enjoy it, I couldn't help but think, perhaps, this was Leinie's way of helping the less enlightened (the hard lemonade crowd) find the path to malty bliss.

tugdriver7, Jun 28, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -26%

A: A hazy unfiltered yellow beer with a white head that did stay up for long.

S: Blueberries. This is my favorite thing about the beer. It was an extremely strong aroma of blueberries and I couldn't detect anything else.

T: Due to the smell I was very exited to taste and see what the beer tasted like. However, the blueberry taste hit the front of my tounge and was there for a second and then let go. I was hoping for more flavors to open up but they did not. I would of been happier if the blueberry flavor lasted a little while longer. The taste of this beer is very disappointing to me.

M: eh nothing really to write home about. Came off decent but cut dry too fast for my liking in a wheat beer.

D: Me personally I don't think I would buy this beer for myself. However, my girlfriend who is not a beer drinker at all, well she likes a lambic every once in a while, loves this beer and would have it over and over again. So for my taste it's a very low drinkability but for others who are new to the style it's pretty high so I will mark it as average.

cproioi, Jun 26, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. I has a cloudy, pumpkin-like color and a small foamy head. It smelled of orange and yeast. It tasted like clove and citrus. I guess that may have been the corriander. There was also a noticeable wheat flavor. It was a little grainy in terms of mouthfeel. It was fairly drinkable, but there are many other wheat beers that I would grab before this version.

zeff80, Jun 25, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +31.3%

Appearance: Densely foggy, apricot-yellow body with a decent-sized, creamy, frothy, white head. Adequate retention.

Smell: Bam - blueberry muffins! Seriously, there's an incredibly strong blueberry scent. Odd, because none of the literature I've read on this beer says anything about being brewed with blueberries or blueberry flavoring. Moving on, the nose is awesome; tons of white grape juice, floral perfume notes, mild coriander in the background, sweet wheat, and a light lemony citric edge. Awesome.

Taste: The blueberry aroma defers to fresh-squeezed orange juice and concord grape juice, and a nice dry twang from the wheat, coriander, and Cascades. A fantastic swirl of fruity esters. The combination of wheat and fruit is reminiscent of Froot Loops or Trix, and I mean that in the best possible way. It is surprisingly well-balanced, with a dry, tangy finish. Not at all cloying.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, but nice and clean and crisp. A tad too drying in the finish.

Drinkability: Definitely the best brew I've had from Leinie's, this is an excellent, thirst-quenching-yet-savorable summer ale.

soulgrowl, Jun 22, 2006
3.45/5  rDev +3%

Cloudy light apricot color with a decent frothy head that subsides pretty quickly to just a thin skin on top, but does manage to leave a bit of lace on it's way down.

The aroma is lemon/lime with hints of banana and coriander.

The taste also hits with lemon zest up front, then a mild wheaties tone, finishes slightly bitter, not like hops, more like the white pith inside a lemon rind. Altogether, slightly thin and just a touch to harsh on the lemon "zest", but still drinkable and refreshing.

Worth a try for a summer cooler.

whynot44, Jun 22, 2006
3.38/5  rDev +0.9%

A: The beer pours a solid orange cloud, with a fluffy head that slowly recedes. As you drink a fair amount of lacing gets left on the glass.

S: I can smell some lemony zest, and Trix. Trix, as in the breakfast cereal.

T: I first I can taste some orange juice and lemonade concentrate, then I can taste the Trix cereal that I smelled at the beginning. Unfortunately, it ends sharply and watery.

M: It is just a tad watery towards the end of a drink.

D: Not bad, but the sharp taste will limit your chugging.

nicksta, Jun 21, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a light, hazy amber color with a nice 2- finger head with fair head retention. Nice lacing on the glass. Has a very nice citrus smell to it; mouth-feel is decent and goes down good. Does have a slight bitter after-tatst though. A very refreshing beer on a hot summer day. Good beer!

dmowen, Jun 21, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured a hazy amber color with modest white puffy head. Smell is a nice combination of spices, bananas, and some summer fruits (apricot, peaches) . Taste is also fruity with someotes of raspberry and lemon to be found. Finished is summer refreshing with nice mothfeel, though a bit thin. A nice drinking beer, very refreshing.

tgbljb, Jun 21, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -2.1%

Tastes like they blended a nice Witbier and an American Wheat. The beer had a mildly murky yellow-ness with a soft white glaze, yet disapointing head retention. Citrusy with lemon and orange zest and a rind-like bittering. Spiced up with maybe a dash of corriander, but relying on the wheat / yeast esters to decorate. The body, like most American Wheats, end up void. Finishes nicely crisp and clean except for the lingering bitterness.

BEERchitect, Jun 16, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -36.4%

I first tried it from a bottle a friend of mine provided. I wanted to give it another chance, so I went to the Leinie's gift shop and tried it there on tap.

If you expect a typical wit style beer, you will be sorely disappointed. It was served to me in a glass with an orange wedge. I removed the wedge, but the beer maintained it's overwhelming citrus aroma. The color is a hazy orange, actually very pleasant. The taste puts it somewhere between a wit and a fruit beer; too sweet as a wit, too dry for a dessert style beer. I think Leinie's would do better off turning this into a full fledged fruit beer, such as berry weiss.

CH3CH2OH, Jun 13, 2006
3.35/5  rDev 0%

This beer may be off style, out of whack and even have the taste of Fruity Pebbles as other reviewers have suggested.

Yet, in a sick way, I like it!

For Leinies I think all that citric, floral and peach flavor is a bold statement. They may be talking to women and younger drinkers but I believe that this is a brew to address those who think beer can't appeal to wine and malternative drinkers.

I enjoyed the look and smell and even the sweet taste.

Won't personally buy it a case at a time but this is an adequate summer beer choice.

brewQ, Jun 11, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured into a Schell weizen glass, no orange. Hazy pale yellow body, a little carbonation visible. 3" of white head are formed after an aggresive pour. Lemon-lime soda in the nose up front, a little graininess follows. Taste is bland versus the style, pie crust grainy/sweetness and a little citrus is all I garner from this unremarkable beer. If this was onsale for $8.99 a 12'er (as Leinie's sometimes is) I would consider getting it if it were 95 degrees and percent humidity out. Other than that, I will pass.

TastyTaste, Jun 10, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -5.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours a very hazy and very light straw color with a finger-sized head that falls quickly to a small ring around the top. Carbonation is not apparent. Aroma is very citrusy. Very fruity orange, lime and lemon, with corriander spice, and a mild wheaty character. Its pleasing, but a little overloaded for my taste. Flavor is again dominated with citrusy orange and lime, with the corriander spice, backed by a mild American wheat base. It finishes very clean with just a touch of orange sweetness hanging on with a very mild bitter as well. Mouthfeel is on the light end of moderate with a moderate carbonation that keeps this one feeling lighter than it is. I just think that this one goes overboard with the fruit tones that should be supporting the flavors, not defining them. I can see where this one will go over well with some as a refreshing drink in the summer heat, but I'll not be reaching for this one at my local as a go-to.

kmpitz2, Jun 05, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -5.1%

12 oz brown longneck with no freshness dating.

The beer pours a darkish opaque straw with a fairly dense white head.

The nose is slightly spicy with some wet grass and clear orange/tangerine smell.

The first taste is citrus (orange again) with some very subtle spices. The spices are a bit overwhelmed by the orange taste. It kind of reminds me of one of those soft candy orange slices that have the hard sugar on back. Some grainy malts emerge later.

The mouth is solid with a nice level of carbonation. Drinkablity is a bit of a tougher call. The beer is not bad and is something a little different. I would have this one again, but could never see more than having one in a night.

This may be a good beer to wean folks off those sweet alco pops. I’m glad to see Leines continuing to try new beers, perhaps they will launch a pale ale soon???

Redrover, May 29, 2006
1.88/5  rDev -43.9%

Included in a mix-and-match sixer at Hy-Vee. Poured into a pint glass. Color is a hazy golden orange. Head is about a finger thick, recedes to a filmy lace.

Smell is very fruity and floral. I had a hard time pin-pointing exactly what the smell is. I passed the glass around the bunch of friends hanging out on the deck. We finally decided that it smelled like Fruit-Loops and lavender.

Taste is also a mixture of different fruits. There is peach, and orange, a little bit of lemon. It is cloyingly sweet. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy like a nectar juice.

The taste was so sweet and un-beerlike that I couldn't even finish it. I tried to pass it on my Irish friend who didn't want a beer to go to waste. Even he couldn't do it. Down the drain it goes.

bort11, May 29, 2006
2.78/5  rDev -17%

pours out a hazy, dirty golden colour with a big fluffy head that sticks around to lace the glass as i drink. aroma of lemonhead candy. lots of lemon and other citric induced smells....never smelled a beer like this one. as for the taste...it's unique to say the least. liquid starburst comes to mind...a hint of spice...lots of tartness; lemon zest and grapefruit juice. oranges, tangerines etc. there is some wheat characteristics in the background...and the coriander aspect adds a nice balancing act to the overt citric overload. mouthfeel is dry and puckered on top of a lightish body. drinkability suffers just because it's not my style of wheat beer.

this is one wacky brew. it's too citrusy for my taste in wheat beers. not a summer beer that's aimed at the discerning beer drinker looking for the perfect hefeweizen to dance with in summer. but it could be a fine quencher to those looking to expand beyond the normal fare.

i won't buy this again but i might steer someone who is looking to kill a summer thirst to buy this.

budgood1, May 28, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours a pale cloudy orange with a thin white head. Aroma of wheat malt and orange peel. The nose has an antiseptic quality to it also. Medium-bodied and airy mouthfeel. Orange citrus flavor dominates this brew. Wheat flavored front is soon replaced with an overpowering orange and spiced yeast taste. The overly sweet finish totally reminds me of Post Fruity Pebbles.

This beer is out of whack. Leinie's took a technique of adding an orange to your wheat/wit beer for taste and completely brewed a beer that takes that citrusy taste and turns it into overkill. A really disappointing summer brew.

Winter, May 28, 2006
3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Good weizeny pour--erm, American wheat pour. Very hazy gold with a big, retentive white head.

Smells very fruity, almost aritifical. Lots of orange with a hint of spice. Like a dulled weizen, really.

Surprising taste! Big, sweet orange malt, backed up by solid whitepepper wheatmalt spice and a nice kiss of a sweet aftertaste.

For less than five dollars a six pack, this is one hell of a solid summer beer.

mynie, May 24, 2006
1.58/5  rDev -52.8%

Part of the Leiny giftpack I received as a present. Hazy yellow straw color with some orange around the sides. Decent fluffy medium white head that dissipates very quickly. Not too much lacing. Aroma is quite sweet and quite citric with just a moderate amount of coriander spice involved. The spice is ok but the whole smell in general is fake and too sweet. Taste follows suit but is even faker and sweeter. It seems like there's lots of aspartame in here and some orange syrup extract. Thinnish body does nothing. This is awful. I couldn't finish the bottle.

granger10, May 23, 2006
3.45/5  rDev +3%

Pale, light straw yella, hazed appearance, with a snowy white head that drifts down to a slight sheet, then a faint ring.

Aroma, bright lemon and orange zest, with light spices on the side. Immediately feels just right for a witbier nose. Clean, zippy, fruity, creamy citrus with commanding coriander.

Big lemon on the tongue, meringue pie, creamy and fruity, but without much substance below. Fills the mouth, but without much beyond lemon, then softly slips away. Way too much lemon in this, not even enough orange, and the spice has disappeared in the flavor. Apes the wit in aroma and looks, but chokes when it comes to the actual taste of it.

too thin in body in the end, just a vapor of character. Finish diminishes behind a whisper of lemon.

Drinkability misses, too, bases on the too- pointed presence of lemon, against anything else. I guess I'd drink it if I had to, but they could have done better, could have tried harder.

feloniousmonk, May 20, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +26%

Pours a cloudy yellow with a normal sized head. Nose is licorice and citrus. Flavors continue with spice and anise flavors with citrus/lemon and a dash of banana. I was completely very pleasently suprised by this one and was sorry to see the pint end. Very interesting merger of flavors. Creamy, refreshing, delicious; I’d definately have this one again. Thanks to jhammerly for the bottle.

thaichile, May 19, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a hazy, soft orange color with yellowish highlights. Minimal white head leaves decent lacings and sticks around for a while.

The nose is a lemon-orange citrusy whirl. Excitingly fruity. I also notice bananas, pineapple, and pear. I wish they'd make an air freshener like this.

The flavor is citrusy and fruity up front, which gives way to a clean, almost watery tasting finish.

Mouthfeel is somewhat thin, which was expected. The drinkability is fine as well. This one would be great on a hot summer day at a campground.

jasonpeckins32, May 11, 2006