Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,249 | Reviews: 904
3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance - 4/5
A very hazy light orange-brown. Minimal head. Can really see carbonation since it's so hazy, but if you hold up to a light, you can see a lot of carbonation flowing to the top. Overall, I really like the color and the haziness, and I think they work well together. More head would be nice though.

Smell - 4/5
Strong smells of blueberry, maybe a little bit of orange/citrus. Overall, a nice smell, I was not expecting the blueberry in this beer, but I like it.

Taste - 3.85/5
Blueberry, and orange-citrus flavors. Only slightly sweet, which is nice. A lot of beers with berry tastes are two sweet. This one is just right. Perhaps a little bit of malty flavor, as well as a tiny hint of hops. Overall, this is a nice tasting beer, especially considering it's pricepoint. Definitely a good beer for a hot summer day. My one complaint would be that the blueberry flavor is perhaps a bit too strong, and there's not enough beer taste. I would like to see them tweak this a bit, and then I think they could have a really excellent beer.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium-bodied, the carbonation is light but still very present, compliments the beer well. The beer is crisp. Overall, good feel in the mouth.

Overall - 3.8/5
Overall, I was very surprised by this beer. I just wanted to pick up a random cheap 6-pack, and this beer seemed like it might be good. But it was really an interesting brew, with the strong blueberry flavor. It's main strength is also it's main weakness though...I wish the blueberry was a little more subtle. Still a good choice, and I could see myself picking up a 6-pack again, maybe next summer.

4.75/5  rDev +40.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am so in love with this beer!!! It's light and has a blueberry hint

2.26/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Outlier detected. Please enter a review.

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

I think all of Leinenkugels' beers are the same: fruity and delicious, but leave you wishing they had something more distinguishing than which fruit is in this particular beer you're drinking at that moment.

Thanksgiving Day beer tasting at Bro's house.

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

Wonderful unique caramelized taste.

3.81/5  rDev +13.1%

This is arguably the cheapest Witbier one can get. At Wal-Mart, six packs in my area sell for a little under six dollars. So if this is a winner, it's gonna be a winner on several levels.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (4.25) : I'm already impressed. I just reviewed Wasatch's lame attempt at a witbier (twice as much and harder to find) and this one is already looking better. Nice three fingered creamy head with a thick, hazy mango nectar appearance. I love the depth, and the opacity is about 70%. The haze tells me there's genuine unfiltered wheat here. The head stays put quite well and has only receded a little bit to a two fingered head within the last minute of starting this review. Lacing is left in licks and rings on the glass.

Aroma (4.25) : Oh dear. Honey, ginger, orange, a little coriander. It's all here. Some toffee and caramel notes...it just smells heavenly. It's like orange sherbet from when I was a kid at grandma's house. Just...wow.

Taste (3.5) : A bit watery, with hints of wheat, and then at the end there's an orange dreamsickle punch that just hits the back of your tongue sweetly. Finishes with a club soda/orange sherbet finish. I would have liked more body and depth but for a $6 six pack, I can't be too upset.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Creamy, medium bodied - if a bit watery, and a yeasty finish.

Overall (3.81) : For as cheap as it is, it's an easy drinking wheat beer. It scratches the surface of the witbier style but can't quite compete with the likes of Hoegaarden or Weihenstephaner. I would buy this beer again, and yes by the six pack. It's easy drinking and very sessionable.

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

Sampling right now on 10/18/14, though I had it on tap back in Florida. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "Leinenkugel's" shaker pint glass.

Pours a hazy golden-amber in color with a good 1+-finger creamy/foamy white head that settles down to around 2-3mm that lasts the whole drink. Decent sheets of lacing is seen that slips back down the sides of the glass except a few small areas that stick. The aroma is of grains and some citrus zest with a hint of spice. The taste starts out sweet with a slight bitter lemon/orange zest but finishes decent and doesn't last. Seems to be a hint of pine in the mix also. Lighter+ bodied with average carbonation. Overall, it was decent and drinkable.

3.36/5  rDev -0.3%

Lemon zest with juicy dark fruit notes, blueberry, grain, cereal, yogurt, orangepeel. Light drinkable body. Yes it taste like fruity pebbles.

4.11/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A single bottle was given to me by my sister-in-law...I decided to try it after mowing the lawn on a hot day with minimal expectations. Nonic pint, about 37º.

A=Much darker than anticipated, cloudy, with a large, foaming white head.

S=Citrus--orange and lemon.

T=Pleasantly surprised by the first taste--definite lemon and orange presence...both sweet and sour.

M=Unlike most Leinie offerings, this one had a rather full body...with fair carbonation.

O=I finally found a Leinenkugel product that I might buy again...I haven't quite finished it yet, but will enjoy this one.

3.61/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Again, Leinenkugel continues to wow me in many different ways, providing me with memorable flavors in numerous different varieties. If we're referring to it as a "macrobrew," then it's currently my favorite macrobrew, for few other breweries I've had churn out more and more delicious products with extreme consistency.

Sunset Wheat is, by far, the brewery's most underrated offering to date. We don't carry it at my specific store, but I feel it compliments the summer season beautifully, and just as well as their equally impressive line of shandies. The beer, a lot like Bell's Oberon, bears a taste eerily similar to the smell and intoxication one gets from the archetypal summer night, and to that I don't complain. It's a taste that combines the succulent aroma of aromatic hops combined with a taste that's equal parts fruity and absorbing as it is slightly bitter, but nowhere near the offputting equivalent of a pale ale.

All and all, another great beer from a terrific brewery. Here's to officially earning it.

12oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Hazy golden color with an off-white head that starts out decent, but deflates to a creamy cap. Not much in the way of lacing.

S: A bit of yeast and an almost overwhelming blueberry aroma. Light hints of lemon and coriander underneath, but it's hard to tell... those damn blueberries, man.

T: Not much of a surprise here, but certainly more pleasant than the nose. Blueberries, lemons, slight orange rind, coriander, hints of cloves perhaps, rounded off by some surprisingly fresh wheat. Absolutely no bitterness to be found here, but the finish is mostly spice which settles the sweetness a little.

M: Nothing special to be noted here. Slightly below medium-bodied with a bit of a soda-like carbonation. Flows smoothly over the tongue and drinks easy. Everything you'd expect in an introductory craft beer marketed towards more casual drinkers.

O: I've nothing overly negative to say about Sunset Wheat. Not only did it serve as a bridge into the craft world for me, but it's actually NOT bad. Artificial tasting and slightly gimmicky? You could definitely say that. Off-putting? Not quite. My family is quite the fan of Leinenkugel's offerings (as well as some beers I shan't name) and I can always find refuge in Sunset Wheat when the beers start flowing at family BBQs.

2.81/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I will preface this with the statement that this is my least favorite of the Leinenkugel Line…I think they overplayed the fake blueberry scent and taste, with a more than healthy overdose of cloves/spices. I picked up a more than noticeable banana aftertaste. All of this combines to leave me searching to much for the beer flavor. Makes me think they brewed something wrong, then tried to fix it.

I would like to try this on tap and see if it does better, I may have just had the wrong beer in the wrong place.

3.54/5  rDev +5%

Pours a cloudy orange in a 16oz pub glass with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly and does not leave much lacing.

Smell is magnificent with a fruity, blueberry smell to it with maybe a little lemon.

Taste is good with that blueberry being the prominent player with that little bit of lemon at the end. This is not the first time I have had this beer as I tend to enjoy it. Sometimes I have gotten a unpleasent perfume taste but I did not get that this time.

Mouth feel is smooth and velvety with not a lot of carbonation.

Overall a great beer to my taste. I really like fruit beer and this one definitely does not disappoint in that respect.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat 6pk bottles $8.99(OH)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. Freshness date painted just below bottle neck.

Pours a Orange, burnt gold color. Looks like a witbier. A two finger bright white head that goes away pretty quick, Leaving some lines of lacing running down.

The aroma is a nice bright orange smell, with a few spices. Wheat and coriander. Smells a lot like blue moon but the coriander is much more subtle.

Taste follows the nose. An excellent balance of oranges, wheats, and spices. Tastes a lot like blue moon, but in my opinion much better. The coriander is more subtle, and lets the wheaty orange shine through. There is a slight taste of blueberries in the finish.

Mouth feel is good. No complaints. Good carbonation. You never want to over carbonate a wheat beer. Smooth crisp and clean from start to finish.

Overall In my opinion this is what blue moon should be. An almost perfect balance of wheat oranges and spices. Blue moon is strong on the coriander. This is a nice witbier. One of my favorite from leinie's. I will buy it over blue moon anyday, but witbiers aren't my favorite style.

3.2/5  rDev -5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a murky brownish yellow color, smells of wheat citric coriander and blueberry. It really does taste like fruity pebbles, with a wheat kick at the end.

This is one of those beers that serves a purpose, it's a great fruity beer for summer time. I would never drink it otherwise, but it makes a perfect campfire beer.

Love this beer. I'm a big fan of all of Leinenkugel's seasonals though. When smelling and tasting the sunset wheat, it resembles fruit loops in my opinion. I could easily drink a six pack of this in a short period of time, and I have. Definitely give this a try if you like fruity tasting beers.

2.55/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I used to love the taste, but now all I can taste is Fruity Pebbles and it bothers me.

4.21/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I actually really like this beer. Tastes just like fruity pebbles . . . And who doesn't like fruity pebbles. I mean really, I can remember times when I was a bachelor I wouldn't think twice about eating a box of fruity pebbles for supper. If I had know about this beer then I may have poured this on top.

3.59/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up on a whim. Pours a cloudy pale straw color with little head or lacing. The nose is artificial blueberry and belgian yeast. Think a blueberry eggo with some yeasty bread dough on top. The flavor is bready with lots of bitter not fresh blueberries. Not what I expected when I grabbed thus and not something I'd come back to.

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

I do not like hoppy beers, and since wheat beers are supposedly one of the least hoppy styles, I decided to try a six pack of this brew. I am not disappointed. Sunset Wheat pours a cloudy orange color. Mine had about a half-finger of head that faded quickly leaving some nice lacing. The smell is only so-so, but the taste is fine, with citrus notes right up front and a kind of 'sharp' quality to it. The mouth feel is lightly carbonated. True to the style, there is only a slight bitterness to the finish. Overall, I find it to be a refreshing brew, and probably a good session beer, though for me a 'session' is usually one. IPA lovers will probably hate it, but for those of us who are not fans of high IBU's, this one will do the job.

2.66/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smell: The smell of this beer is pretty promising as it smalls like a sour/sweet fruity grain smell.

Taste:This beer i can honestly say tastes almost exactly like fruity pebbles the cereal. It has a sort of synthetic fruit taste that isnt very fresh. Finish is a bit sour and leaves a weird taste on the tongue. Overall it tastes like cereal mixed with grain. Pretty different.

3.12/5  rDev -7.4%

Bottle marked Feb1014, rest illegible, 40 degrees, into 12 oz glass
Aroma slightly lemony
Head average (3 cm), white, creamy, rapidly diminishing
No lacing
Body light yellow, hazy
Flavor begins very sweet, mixed berry flavor
Flavor ends abruptly, leaving only a vague sweetness
No hops evident, no alcohol tasted, no diacetyl
Light watery body with soft carbonation

This was left with me after a party two days ago. It is very much a perfumey, girlie beer.

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is brewed in the style of a Witbier with blueberry extract added. Most interesting is the use of a lager yeast strain in place of an ale strain. This has always been a year-round release, arguably the flagship beer of Leinenkugel's brewery since their shift to focusing on traditional German and Belgian craft styles. Available in bottles and on draft.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to my Leinenkugel's pint glass. Served above 50º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours an eggshell-white head of a crisp foamy consistency over a pale golden amber body with a moderate haze. Carbonation is light and relaxed. Head retention is average at best, lacing is very light and does not stick. 3.5

(Smell) Blueberry is an immediately evident aroma from the moment you open the bottle, dry, potent blueberry extract and artificial blueberry syrup. Following the blueberry is a light wheat malt, some cereal grain, a dash of orange peel and some light coriander. While not quite as profound in berry potency as Berry Weiss, the main focus on this beer is in the blueberry impact. It does manage to come off as moderately enjoyable, although some may find the strength of the blueberry a nauseating profile. 3.25

(Taste) A mild wheat profile with an equally mellow sweetness, mildly bitter orange peel and a dash of spice. Blueberry is a definite accent in the finish although it doesn't come off nearly as strong as it does in the aroma. No hop presence nor bitterness to speak of. Overall I found the blueberry an assertive compliment to an otherwise pedestrian witbier. I couldn't see it being memorable without the blueberry, as the remaining flavor would otherwise be remarkably light and potentially bland. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick, mildly chalky and zesty dry. Carbonation adds some crispness to the tongue. Body is medium for the style, light/medium overall. Alcohol presence is low. The balance is sweet over bitter, although it's still a bit arid, thin and dry, not all are unexpected for the style but collectively it's jarring for drinkability somewhat. Perhaps the lager yeast had a profound impact on how the texture and body of this beer is perceived, as it's unique, but not wholly enjoyable. 3.5

(Overall) While my impressions about this beer have changed, they have changed for the better. Sunset Wheat is a very light beer in malt profile as well as in other style-defining guidelines. What makes this beer different is the use of a lager strain for a cleaner, crisper and lighter malt profile as well as the inclusion of blueberries, which do a decent job of complimenting the flavors of this witbier, but may easily be seen as a flavor burden for some who are going for something more simple or traditional. If you choose any light beer out of Leinenkugel's lineup, this is the one I'd most likely recommend, but try it on draft to see if you find it enjoyable enough to get more of. 3.5

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company's
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat
3.45/5.00

3.16/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Very small white head dies quickly to barely a lacing at all above a cloudy washed out pale straw golden colored beer.

Blueberry fruity aroma.

Light blueberries on a wheat grain taste.

Light dry aftertaste without much taste sticking around with this light bodied beer.

Light tasting wheat beer, not really sold on this beer being worth recommending.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company