2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Sunset WheatLeinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,865 | Reviews: 862 | Show All Ratings:
tdm168

2.55/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours a bright golden yellow with a soft, white head that has little retention. The nose smells like lemon, oranges, and medicine. The flavor is identical; big citrusy notes which are overwhelmed by a foul, off putting medicinal character. The mouthfeel is very light and crisp.

This is foul. The medicinal qualities take away any good that may have been in the flavor. The citrus was probably good, but it's too underwhelming to make an impact. I'll avoid this in the future.

04-10-2012 22:41:17 | More by tdm168
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

2.98/5  rDev -11.3%

Into a pint glass:

A: hazy golden/orange/light brown colored body with no head whatsoever, lacing is spotty and leaves no rings. There is a fair amount of carbonation surfacing. I'm just wondering what is that floating around within the brew? I have no clue

S: some blueberry, orange and wheat. Nothing off and nothing overbearing

T: previously mentioned flavors come back but with a bit of lemon and lime

M: light to medium, slightly sessionable, extreme fruity aftertaste, wet fruity finish, fair amount of carbonation hitting the tongue

O: just a fruit/vegetable beer that doesn't really go with anything, was a decent dessert beer on my back deck watching the sun go down on a Spring evening, could be a decent "crossover" for a malt drinker to turn to beer

04-03-2012 14:59:45 | More by BeerKangaroo
gleeky99

4.43/5  rDev +31.8%

I wasen't really a wheat beer guy, but I really like this one. Love the cloudy look almost like orange juice. Pour so you get a nice head, its thick 2-3 fingers in a tulip glass.Fruity not bitter at all, I also like the corriander taste. A nice easy drinker! Always in my fridge.

04-01-2012 15:10:21 | More by gleeky99
AlphaWolf-HD

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer has a very mellow onset. There are definite orange and other citrus notes to be tasted during. After swallowing there is a definite fruity after taste. I taste blueberries, among other things. I think it's a pretty festive beer. It pops with activity and not bitterness.

It keeps you coming back and is refreshing. The head does fade quickly (Booo) but it's a fun and refreshing beer to drink.

03-15-2012 03:27:42 | More by AlphaWolf-HD
microbrewlover

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

This brew pours a very cloudy orange with a small head which dissapates quickly. Lacing also dissapates quickly.

The smell is very fruity and sweet. I smelled berries, apples, possibly orange, lemon and tangerine.

The mouthfeel is thin, too thin, and creamy.

The taste is of fruit and more fruit. I could taste no malts or hops. If you like a "fruity" beer then you will want to give this a try.

Overall, this beer is too sweet, like another Leinenkugel's I had. I think if this brew had a stronger hop presence, really I could detect none, it would be a winner. It has potential and I would still drink it on a very hot summer day.

03-12-2012 22:43:25 | More by microbrewlover
KeshiaM

1.8/5  rDev -46.4%

Had it on tap and was told it was similar to Blue Moon. Sadly it wasn't.
The appearance was a cloudy yellowish/orange with a white head that dissipated quickly and left lacing. It had an unpleasant smell, like skunky oranges.
The taste was just as disappointing. The orange taste was metallic and tasted like it had turned. Highly carbonated to the point of fizziness. By the time I finished it had made me sick.
The only positive was the mouthfeel with its yeasty, sediment texture typical of wheat beers.
Overall I would never order this again.

03-12-2012 01:34:00 | More by KeshiaM
DarthNerdus

2.6/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured from bottle. Has a nice orange cloudy appearance with off-white head the settles into a film over the beer. Smells citric with a hint of a sweeter fruit which I cannot quite place. Tastes somewhat acidic, a nice start and mid-point but is overtaken by too much coriander that lingers after the finish. Has a medium mouthfeel that lingers with the aforementioned coriander flavor. Overall a nice break, but the flavors are not very well balanced.

03-02-2012 06:26:57 | More by DarthNerdus
Louski

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from Bottle into Pint Glass

Appears a very light gold with a distinct fruity/citrus smell. Tastes exactly like Fruity Pebbles- there's no other way to describe it. Overall, a very unique beer that's perfect for long day of golf in the hot sun.

03-02-2012 01:41:12 | More by Louski
mrfrancis

Kentucky

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Pours a hazy gold with a thick, bubbly white head that laces deep into the glass.

S: Aromas of blueberry syrup, minerals, orange, cream, and wheat fill the nose. This will sound kind of odd, but I think this beer smells a bit like Fruity Pebbles.

T: Tart notes from the wheat are balanced by flavors of minerals, lemon, lime, grass, blueberry syrup, orange, and cream. The finish is short and sweet with an overwhelming blueberry flavor.

M: This is where things fall apart for me. In the mouth, this beer is light-bodied and quite dry. Carbonation is sluggish causing the beer to turn flabby on the finish.

O: This is the second time I've reviewed this beer for a website, and to be honest, I swore I'd never revisit it. Looks like I contradicted myself. In any event, this is not nearly as cloying and syrupy as I remember. To be honest, this would be an acceptable summer beer or a good one for when I don't really want to think too hard about what I am drinking.

02-18-2012 16:43:51 | More by mrfrancis
BMMillsy

2.69/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This one pours from the bottle orange hue with a large fluffy white head. Sweet wheat aroma, some honey, hay, bit of citrus. Flavor follows with a sweeter citrus, light flavor, and a finish more crisp than other wheat beers I have had. Hint of yeast and light mouthfeel overall, nice for summer. Okay wheat beer, but there are better summer options out there. Would choose this over Blue Moon without a doubt. Meh.

02-15-2012 22:44:05 | More by BMMillsy
mattfungus

Wisconsin

2.55/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

had this one way too many times, it seemed like for awhile this was the only beer available that was a hint above average.

The best I can liken it to is this.

I'm allergic to chocolate. If you are like me and you go to parties, potlucks and receptions you find that nine times out of ten, the dessert menu becomes empty when you take off anything that has chocolate, except for one item... Lemon Bars.

After 3-4 years of eating lemon bars as dessert you cannot bear to look at another lemon bar. Thats how it got for me and this beer.

I use to think it had a nice lemony flavor, now I think, oh no not again.

I do however like their lipbalm of this flavor.

02-11-2012 04:46:47 | More by mattfungus
57md

3.63/5  rDev +8%

Pours a dark straw color with a finger of head that has no retention. The nose is of fresh berries. The taste of blueberries dominates, but this offering finishes quite dry nevertheless.

This is a very solid offering from a brewery that produces good, but not great beers.

Bonus that this offering is union made by my brothers and sisters in the UAW.

02-05-2012 06:47:14 | More by 57md
GossageBrewery

Missouri

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured this 12 oz brown bottle into a pint glass. Poured a hazy yellow color, produced a below average white head, retention is above average and does leave some lacing behind. The aroma consists of sour lemons. Medium in body, this Witbier has a flavor of bitter lemons, wheat and more LeMONS! I guess this would be a decent gateway beer, but there are so many better Witbier's in the market that I wouldn't waste my time with this. Prost!

02-05-2012 01:13:59 | More by GossageBrewery
ajanesz

Kentucky

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Poured a hazy yellow brown color with an inch of white foam. Head dissipated quickly and left a small amount of watery lacing. Little to no carbonation

Smell - Very sweet and fruity. Lemon/blueberry scent with a distinct aroma that reminds me of Fruity Pebbles breakfast cereal.

Taste - Initial bite of blueberry citrus and wheat, but transitioned into a fruity flavor (again, I can't help but thinking Fruity Pebbles cereal). Extremely crisp and bubbly for a witbier. Definitely different than most witbiers I've tried.

Mouthfeel - Medium to light body with a crisp tangy feeling on the palate.

Overall - Very unique flavored witbier that is light and crisp with a lot of ester flavors. Too fruity for me to drink regularly, but definitely a change of pace. Very drinkable. An above average witbier.

01-29-2012 02:04:03 | More by ajanesz
FriarPrickly

Tennessee

2.98/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from amber bottle to a pint glass. Cloudy honey color with little white head that quickly disappears with no lacing observed.
Had an apricot jam yesterday and this smells like an apricot jam. Grassy smell as well.
Taste develops in layers that begin with apricot taste and sweetness that develops into a lemony tart taste and a slow finish with a lingering bitterness.
Fresh taste with lots of carbonation that sizzles on the tongue. Creamy texture.
Overall an interesting taste and a local beer that I would drink again but not frequently. I will look for this on tap. Shout out and best regards to the Leinenkugel family and their brewers.

01-25-2012 23:03:32 | More by FriarPrickly
kylehay2004

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

Half finger head with little lacing on a murky golden and crimson body. Very little to the aroma with hints of wheat and a Maury presence. Mostly wheat but overall a rather bland flavor. Not mcu else is there that is easy to detect. High carbonation and light body. Very crisp and refreshing. Overall a plain beer for the masses. Easy to drink but offers little else.

01-22-2012 01:03:05 | More by kylehay2004
scootny

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Cloudy gold with a small white head of nice consistency. Soft fruity aroma with notes of lemon and apricot. Taste is much the same with a sweet malt and wheaty edge. A bit of lemon soda pop and that touch of apricot. Very mild bitterness. Crisp light feel with lightly prickly carbonation. I want to put this beer down as a pretender but I can't. While not a Belgian wit it nonetheless carries off the style. a bit to the left maybe but still it gives me a lot of what I want from a Witbier. It has a good overall drinking experience and a respectable taste. Not bad...

01-21-2012 05:38:51 | More by scootny
ckollias

Maryland

3.33/5  rDev -0.9%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a very hazy yellowish-orange with a thick, white, 3-finger head that slowly dissipates in to a solid persistent lace.

S: Zesty citrus aroma which is mostly lemons.

T: Similar to the smell there is a zesty citrus flavor with a yeasty overtone.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: This was a decent wheat beer – the lemon tartness gives it an unique character.

01-21-2012 01:31:51 | More by ckollias
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

3.05/5  rDev -9.2%

Reviewed from session notes.

Pours out a murky dark brownish-orange with a short lived fizzy soda head, no lacing, smells exactly like blueberry lemonade and I have absolutely no idea why. A little internet research reveals that this blueberry addition is intentional. Flavor follows the nose, only quite a bit farther into sweetness than I prefer my witbiers, maybe this would be a good one for your wine cooler-enjoying friend. Spritzey carbonation and thin body, its obvious that they are going for the lawnmower market. If only it didn't have such an unappetizing appearance and wasn't so cloyingly sweet, I would get along with this one a lot better than I have. As it stands, it practically another (redundant) Berry Weiss.

01-19-2012 04:52:54 | More by WastingFreetime
perrymarcus

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle served in a pint glass.

pours a hazy, dull golden tone while yielding a 1" off white head. middling retention, lacing.

nose is lead by orange peel with some blueberry characters in the background. wheaty with a hint of spices.

the flavor breakdown follows the aroma very closely. citrusy (primarily orange, maybe a little lemon) with a touch of blueberry, followed by an undertone of malted wheat. medium-light bodied mouthfeel with some prickly carbonation.

all in all not a terrible beer at all. make no mistake, it won't be challenging the plinys and KBS's of the world for BA supremacy, but i'd say it has its place on a hot summer day. unfortunately it is now January 12th.

01-12-2012 05:19:50 | More by perrymarcus
Royalenfield1990

Alabama

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

A- Hazy amber color. There is a tiny amount of sediment floating around and is a rather cloudy brew. There is a 1 finger head that leaves some lacing.

S- Smells like berries, and Juicy Juice tropical punch.

T- Tastes like an ale mixed with tropical punch. A bit of spice, probably the coriander listed on the bottle.

M- Somewhat thin, good carbonation makes it refreshing.

O- This was not bad but a little sweet for my liking. I most likely won't buy this again.

01-12-2012 01:32:30 | More by Royalenfield1990
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Another beer I had after dinner at a bar. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a somewhat cloudy golden amber color with a one-finger head that lacks good retention and lacing. There's also some sediment floating around that doesn't look too hot, either.

S: Blueberry. I mean, seriously, it really does smell like Fruity Pebbles. There is a bit of yeastiness around the back end, but otherwise, pure fucking blueberry.

T: I'm almost inclined to say it's a blueberry bomb. There is some spiciness in the middle reminiscent of a typical wit, but wow. Blueberries. I can't call it balanced, but the blueberry notes play well with the base of this beer.

M: The body is on the medium-thin side, overall. It also features a lot of carbonation, and is quite refreshing.

O: I actually like this a lot, to be honest. It looks rather weak, but I could totally see this becoming a staple summer brew for me. Easily the best beer I've had from Leinie.

12-29-2011 04:27:24 | More by ThisWangsChung
Murrhey

Montana

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Pilsner glass.

A- Finger width white head. Thin, spotty head. Clouded orange color.

S- Very wheaty with distinct citrus tones

T- Wheat and citrus, no real surprises.

M- Medium bodied, nicely carbonated.

O- Nice brew. Reminds me of other wheat beers with a distinctive touch.

12-18-2011 21:53:41 | More by Murrhey
Windigo

4.58/5  rDev +36.3%

I used to carry this on tap when I bartended in Florida. I am not always a fan of the wheats, be they Heffes, American Wheats or Belgian White styles....but this on draft was amazing. It is a beautiful yellow color pouring into a pint and the heady smell of freshly made blueberry waffles fills the entire bar. Nope, I'm not kidding. Many patrons asked what it was I was making in the back of the pub...then I'd throw them a taster of this. It is perfect for summer though it isn't overly, overly sweet. I still found it incredibly refreshing and lacking in the typical skunk of the wheat brews. While it loses it's preciousness aroma-wise in bottle, the taste remained pretty true. Totally dig!

11-28-2011 21:20:20 | More by Windigo
AmericanGothic

Iowa

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Peace Tree pint.

A: Pours a cloudy, pale orange color with a thin, off-white head. Some retention and lace. Nice carbonation, but a few dark brown floaties detract from the appearance.

S: Some sweet malt, a bit of banana and blueberry.

T: A little lemon up front, fades to sweet wheat and then the blueberry comes on the finish. Not bad, but kind of homogenized and lackluster.

M: Fairly light with a little cream but mostly soda-like.

O: Not bad, but not all that good, either. This one showed up in my fridge after a party, so I thought I would try it out. Not one I would plan to buy again.

11-15-2011 02:50:57 | More by AmericanGothic