Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 884 | Hads: 2,269
2.66/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy gold with a foamy beige head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of grain, fake citrus aromas, and a perfume-like note. Taste is much the same with an artificial aftertaste. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer that is not really all that beer-like in my opinion. (452 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -3%

This is a decent summery beer, more like an American pale wheat ale than a witbier in some regards. It has a distinct wheat flavor, but is also light and mildy spicy. It's a suitable summer session beer for anyone. Those who aren't particularly adventurous with beer, but do like a Blue Moon from time to time would probably enjoy this. For me, it's a little too indistinct to be a regular summer choice. (404 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Currently my favorite beer. About a year ago I went to Buffalo Wild Wings where I was introduced to this it. Instead of ordering my usual glass of Hefe I asked the bartender to give me something different. He gave me this and immediately I tasted fruity pebbles cereal and fell in love. Needless to say I was feeling so good when it was time to leave, i forgot to ask what the name of the beer was. After a few more attempts and the same results, I finally asked the name BEFORE I asked for the "fruity pebbles" beer. They told me and I've been buying it ever since....I love this beer! (586 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy pale yellow color, nice carbonation, with a pretty nice one-finger fizzy white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some yeast notes, lemon, and some nice fruityness. The taste is malty, yeast, fruity, with some citrus notes. Medium body. A nice brew for a hot day. (310 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -42%

The body of the beer is fizzy and light but seems to have few flavors native to the fundamental brewing process; almost all of the flavorings seem imported after the fact, and these seem oily and aromatic and thus made this beer taste like furniture polish or something even more industrial; the top notes are falsely fruity, but below that are the more citrusy, Lemon Pledge sorts of effects, with other odd chemical notes. This beer, in its thinness and weird, artificial tang bears no resemblance to a typical Weizen. I tried to get used to it with a gamey sense of experiment, but the sense that I was drinking unpleasant chemicals in the name of beer actually got more offensive as I persisted. (699 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +5.3%

A - a golden orange/light brown, has wheat grains floating in it,

S - Smells somewhat like fruit, can also smell wheat, hops

T - Tastes pretty good, can taste, wheat, hops

M - Refreshing, relaxing, very crisp, clean, a pleasure to sip on

O - Great for a summer afternoon, while it may not be outstanding, it is still very good (331 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -23.7%

A friend gave me one of these at a 4th of July cookout yesterday.

Poured a very cloudy yellow with 1 finger head.

Suger sweet fruit juice smell, can't really figure out what type, almost a fruit punch smell.

Syrupy artificial fruit flavor up front followed by a little malt.

Mouthfeel was thin.

Overall, not my cup of tea. Artificial fruit flavor mixed with a thin beer. Ended with a drain pour. (401 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle out of a summer sampler, pours a cloudy yellow with trace orange hues, foamy white head dissipates quickly leaving little lacing on the glass. Aromas are sweet and odd hinting wheat, orange Tang, cherry, and blueberry. Tastes are complex, but are also odd, especially for the style: fruity yeast reminiscent of a canned fruit cup, orange zest, lemon, grass, wheat, blueberry, and maybe a hint of agave, not much for spiciness as you would expect for the style. Mouth-feel is thin for a wheat ale, but not terribly thin. Plenty of carbonation and finishes on the palate tangy and tingly. Overall, this was weird for me. Blueberry, orange Tang, fruit cup? It kept me thinking about it as I drank it, but that's about it. I guess I'd take it over a macro-lager, but it's not much better than that. (806 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle served in a pint glass.

pours a hazy, dull golden tone while yielding a 1" off white head. middling retention, lacing. nose is lead by orange peel with some blueberry characters in the background. wheaty with a hint of spices.

the flavor breakdown follows the aroma very closely. citrusy (primarily orange, maybe a little lemon) with a touch of blueberry, followed by an undertone of malted wheat. medium-light bodied mouthfeel with some prickly carbonation.

all in all not a terrible beer. make no mistake, it won't be challenging the plinys and KBS's of the world for brewing supremacy, but i'd say it has its place on a hot summer day.

(originally reviewed: 01-12-2012) (688 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +35.5%

I had my doubts about this brew. I am not partial to the 'fruity" type beers.

However, this is one of the most refreshing summer brews I've had to date! You have got to try this. You'd be letting yourself down if you pass this one up.

Overall: DEF TRY!!! (258 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Nothing wrong with the appearance, it's a bit hazy with a smallish head. Smell is sharply sugary, watermelon Jolly Ranchers comes to mind. Taste isn't nearly as sugary as the smell, but nonetheless it's sweet, sort of like off-brand strawberry or raspberry flavored jelly beans. Mouthfeel and carbonation are okay. This one is not for me. (338 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I must agree with a previous poster. As soon as you taste this beer you think, " Fruity Pebbles ". Pretty good beer, Although surprisingly not as easy to drink as what you would imagine. A little too sweet for my liking. I believe that drinking enough of these would make me feel sick to my stomach. Although, A great beer to get if you're throwing a party and inviting a couple of girl's who won't drink most beer. (415 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -7.7%

A - Light orange with a thin white head. Hazy, but not extreme.

S - Nose smells like Fruity Pebbles cereal. Brewer says that there is blueberry added to it somewhere in the process.

T - Fruity with a bit of wheat. Somewhat sweet. Goes down really easy.

M - Very light, crisp and refreshing. Would make a decent lawnmower beer for sure.

O - Some might turn their nose at the blueberry addition and fruit character, but when I'm in the mood for this beer it really hits the spot. Great on a hot summer afternoon. (514 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +6.8%

Cloudy orange gold is the beer, with a dirty white head that shrinks to a ring leaving barely any lacing. A wheat sediment is normal, but this sediment in here is rather strange.

Smell is sharp orange peals, coriander, and not much else.

Taste is tangy citrus, and a bitter/tangy wheat finish that lasts.

Texture has some body, but is a touch fizzy.

Flavor is nice, but as a wheat it falls a little short in most categories.

DOA (433 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +30.8%

I don't know what people are saying but this beer is delicious! It's like juice and beer in a bottle. I love its fruity aroma mixed with a unique beer taste. When I tried this stuff at a party the flavor took me by suprise. Maybe I am just used to crappy beers or something and the others can afford pricey ones. I would say this is one of my most favorite beers. (363 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -29%

While the beer has a decent orange glow in the glass, and mediocre head, the one thing that was offputting was being preoccupied with the fruit notes. They were not the normal citrusy, crisp, refreshing type I love in a Summer wheat. Instead, I found myself bothered by the fact that it seemed very artificial and overly sweet.

Upon my second bottle I thought I had nailed the taste and smell as Trix cereal and had my wife verify my assumption. I was off a bit - she nailed it on the head. It was Fruity Pebbles cereal. And not the cereal nature many beers have due to the malt and barley. No, it was artificial fruit flavoring that slimed the tongue and caused a wincing in my temples.

I found the wheat secondary or tertiary to this flavor. The mouthfeel was smooth with a light body. Not a beer I will try again as it was much to fake and sugary tasting - like a low grade malt bevereage. (894 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Arrives a hazy orangish yellow with an off-white head. Retention is short but decent lacing.
Smell is wheat, light citrus and sweet. Fairly light overall.
Taste is better with wheat, malt, citrus, light hops and an artificial sweetness. Balance is fine.
Until the aftertaste, this a straight up wheat. Aftertaste has a sugary, artificial aspect that is a bit off-putting. It ain't bad, but it ain't great. Drink it if someone else is buying. (441 characters)

Leinenkugel’s Sunset Wheat has a very thick, cream-colored, fluffy head and a hazy, yellow-orange appearance with tiny streaming bubbles and some lacing left behind. The aroma is strongly sweet, citrus, and bready. Taste is likewise sweet, citrus, candy-like, mild brown bread, spices, and with a touch of bitterness, however, this is minimal. The body is medium, and Leinenkugel’s Sunset Wheat finishes semi-dry, mild, and drinkable. For a flavored beer, which I admittedly don’t care for, it’s very good, and I would say it’s worth a try.

RJT (556 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a cloudy and hazy straw yellow color with no head

S: Very fruity, mostly blueberries and citrus. Some malts, mostly wheat. Slight hints of lager yeast

T: Follows the nose, with the lager yeast standing out a bit more and the wheat fading a bit. Still fruity with mostly blueberry and then lemon... odd combination

M: Medium bodied with moderate-high carbonation

O: Certainly a different take with the lager yeast, not too sure about how I actually feel about it though. Also not too sure about how I feel with the blueberry/citrus combo... decent beer, though. Definitely on the girly side. (603 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz bottle best by jul 09 2012

Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a small frothy head and some lacing. Smell is lemon, a small amount of pine, wheat, grass, corn, and honey. Taste is sweet lemon rind, grass, wheat, corn, clove, and a bit of pepper.

Good witbier. (264 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +15.4%

Appearance - Pours a hazy golden orange with a foamy white 2 finger head. Good retention. Leaves a behind a nice lace.

Smell - Fruity aromatic qualities. Orange. Berries. a bit of wheat sneaks in there too. Wonderful smelling brew.

Taste - Lots, and lots of fruity flavors. A varietal "fruity pebbles" in flavor, with orange being the dominant character. Not much hop presence, but look hard enough and you'll find it at the tail end of the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body. Smooth and refreshing. A bit foamy / creamy.

Overall - A very sweet, fruity wheat beer. Screw the "light beers", when I want something on a hot summer's day, I'm reaching for a LSW! (672 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Very refreshing. "5 mile run-parched throat" refreshing. Light and easy to drink or chug (provided the occasion). Great to use as the base of a marinade for steak or chicken.
Definitely a summer beer.

A: Golden orange, slightly cloudy.

S: Musky orange. Reminiscent of baseball.

T: Again somewhat of a musky orange-grassy taste. Interesting note of blueberry.

M: Smooth, easy carbonation. (392 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours a bright golden yellow with a soft, white head that has little retention. The nose smells like lemon, oranges, and medicine. The flavor is identical; big citrusy notes which are overwhelmed by a foul, off putting medicinal character. The mouthfeel is very light and crisp.

This is foul. The medicinal qualities take away any good that may have been in the flavor. The citrus was probably good, but it's too underwhelming to make an impact. I'll avoid this in the future. (477 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -12.1%

Into a pint glass:

A: hazy golden/orange/light brown colored body with no head whatsoever, lacing is spotty and leaves no rings. There is a fair amount of carbonation surfacing. I'm just wondering what is that floating around within the brew? I have no clue

S: some blueberry, orange and wheat. Nothing off and nothing overbearing

T: previously mentioned flavors come back but with a bit of lemon and lime

M: light to medium, slightly sessionable, extreme fruity aftertaste, wet fruity finish, fair amount of carbonation hitting the tongue

O: just a fruit/vegetable beer that doesn't really go with anything, was a decent dessert beer on my back deck watching the sun go down on a Spring evening, could be a decent "crossover" for a malt drinker to turn to beer (766 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +30.8%

I wasen't really a wheat beer guy, but I really like this one. Love the cloudy look almost like orange juice. Pour so you get a nice head, its thick 2-3 fingers in a tulip glass.Fruity not bitter at all, I also like the corriander taste. A nice easy drinker! Always in my fridge. (279 characters)

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company