Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 883 | Hads: 2,257
2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

This Pale Wheat Ale while not great, does have some nice things going for it. The appearance is of a blonde wheat, light orange, nice and cloudy. Decent head retention, and plenty of hefe in the pour. The aroma tart. Ditto for the taste. The overwhelming thing about this beer is the lemon. This ale should be advertised as a lemon wheat ale. The body was thin, and while one cannot discern any hops, the finish is dry.

Not a bad ale, but just the same, it is not one to get excited about. (492 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%

Miller Brewing introduced this beer to counteract the success their rival Coors brewing had had with their Blue Moon offering. After pouring a glass of the Leinenkugel's Sunset wheat out I notice that it had a distinct blond appearance much similar to that of Blue Moon. The smell was uninspiring. After tasting the beer I was pleased to find a nice sweet and smooth taste. The beer gopes down easy and it doesn't take long for 1 beer to be finished off. I am disappointed to report that the relative differences between this and Blue Moon are farely undistinguishable in my opinion. However, this beer does feel good while watching the sun set over a midwestern lake. Not a bad beer for the summer months at all. I would recommend this to anyone who has some time to kill up at the lake or enjoys sweet wheat beers. (816 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

3.5's across the board on this one. Not great by any means, but above average and no doubt drinkable in my humble opinion.

In the past Leine beers have done little to nothing for me, this was a nice surprise however.

Upon pouring there was the predictable cloudy haze, that one would attribute to the style. The head wasn't massive by any means, but managed to hold out for most of the glass and left some nice belgian lace.

The aroma reminded me of a Belgian Wit. Citrus was the defining scent, though there were some underlying spices as well. Pretty decent smelling brew all in all.

not a ton of wheat in the tasting profile, but just enough to let one know it's a wheat beer. The same citrus that's predominant in the smell, also is the alpha taste characteristic. Not really tasting much beyond that actually, but hey it's nice and refreshing on a summer's night, if not overly complex.

I'm going to stick with my initial 3.5's across the board here. Would I choose this if given the choice between this and countless other beers? Likely not, but for what it is... a no frills average American wheat beer, you can do alot worse. (1,148 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a weizen glass (what the heck). The beer is a hazy dark yellow. A smallish head (about 1/2 inch) forms after a vigorous pour. The head has some staying power before it fades to a nice cover on the liquid. Some olacing as the beer is consumed.

Smell: Wow, this is one citrousy mf. I get a solid blast of lemon from this.

Taste: After smelling this I am anticipating a nice citrusy zing, perhaps a little tartness. What I get is definitely a lemony zesty taste, but its also ridiculously sweet. Touch sour on the finish. No bitterness here, not even really malty.

Mouthfeel: Light, well carbonated. A little prickly on the tongue.

Drinkability: An easy drinker, not bad, but just too sweet for me to enjoy more than one at a time. This one be a good chick beer or maybe for some one who really doesn't like the taste of beer and likes alcopops. (902 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +16%

Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat
12 oz bottle
Recent bottling, sipped on 07/30
Medium pour in a tulip glass

Poured a cloudy golden outer edge with a denser orange copper middle with a disappointingly fast dissapating 1/4 inch head.

Smelt of candied oranges, like orange gummi bears.

Taste a pleasant ascent into candied oranges, reminescent of orange gummy candy, followed by a hint of spicy flowery wheat and settling into a short sourness. A bit short and timid though. Mouthfell was light and effervescent.

Overall, a surprisingly tasty refreshing summer wheat lacking only complexity and length. (609 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +5.6%

Was out at a local pub last night and surprised to see this one as the only non-BMC selection (not totally true as SNPA and Oberon were represented, but have gotten a bit sated with those lately.) Anyway, decided to give it a shot. Very similar to Oberon on the whole. Orangish, hazy appearance, with a pretty full whitish-tan head. Smells of citrus. Typical orange aroma is there--too much as unbenownst to me they brought the first out with an orange wedge in it--remedied the second time. Also the typical wheat and slight spice (never sure what to call it--corrander?) smell. Pretty appealing. The taste is wheat up front and almost overwhelming fruity sweetness at the back of the swallow. Oddly enough, blueberries overshadowed the typical orange taste. At first this taste was very appealing. By the end of the beer, and certainly with the second, though, it becomes a bit too much. Mouthfeel is pretty light and crisp. Nothing special. On the whole, this is a pretty decent beer to sit outside and drink on a warm summer night, though after a second round, my mouth is screaming for heavy doses of water as the sugary sweetness has become a bit too much. (1,162 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -18.9%

aw, man... this was disappointing for me. I like some of the other Leine's Brews... like the Honey Weiss, but this one let me down.

I hate to say something bad about a beer, but...

Anyway, the appearance was average for a wheat beer...good golden cloudy color. The smell was very nice, it smelled of citrus..and something else (some of you guys are saying coriander). The taste just doesn't do it for me, at all. It is overly seasoned with whatever else is in here. The mouthfeel is good as the brew feels smooth (regardless of taste). Drinkability...Sorry. This has to be the lowest I have ever rated a beer on drinkability. I am having a hard time finishing the one I just poured. And to think I bought a "sixer".

Not to slam this beer, but overall I was not overly impressed. (787 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -23.1%

A: Very hazy light brown (not orangish or yellow) with some white head made of fine bubbles.

S: Lemon! Lemon! Lemon! It made me think of sunscreen as well. Pretty overpowering on the citrus front.

T: More lemon! And more! The wheat character was subtly there, but mostly it felt like a lemon-beer, not a wheat beer. At first, it was interesting, but after that I wasn't thrilled. Tasted like beer for non-beer drinkers.

M: Pretty smooth, actually, but at the end the carbonation was irritating. The sour lemon sticks with you.

D: Maybe it'd be better after a long day of sweaty work. Other than that, it ain't that great. (633 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer pours a hazy yellow with a white head that fizzles down to a ring around my glass.

The aroma is of coriander, orange, banana, and like my wife said, fruity pebbles cereal.

The flavor is of wheat malt, coriander, orange, citrus in general.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This is a decent drinkable beer. Good summer and session brew. (382 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +10.1%

Leinie’s Sunset Wheat is a great alternative to the fine coriander taste of Blue Moon. Sunset Wheat is a thinnish lager that pours nicely into a pint glass but loses its head rather quickly. I tasted orange/coriander bursts throughout this enjoyable brew, but was very taken by a strong impression of blueberries. This beer will make a great addition to the Leinenkugel year-round stable, and is heartily recommended for anyone looking for something a little different for their next cookout. (493 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -38.8%

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat was served in a plastic cup. The beer was cloudy with a pink peach color topped by a resepectable white head. The smell consisted of tangerines and lemon zest. Flavor was sweet and fruity with lots of citrus flavors. The beer was very highly carbonated with a thin body.

This tasted more like Sprite or Fresca than beer. I almost finished my cup. My friends seemed to like it though. It's beer for people who don't like beer. (456 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours out to a light yellow cloudy color with a medium level of carbonation. Head of white foam dissipates at a reasonable rate. Some lace. Aroma smells like the Trix bunny crapped in my beer. Lots of artificial fruity smells, berries, citrus, bananas. Very much Trix like. Taste is amazingly similar: Trix. Mild maltiness blends again with medium fruity flavors of berries, citrus and a touch of estery bananas. Some notes of grass and hay. Mouthfeel is good, refreshing and bubbly. Rather smooth. Drinkability is only average, I'm getting bored with this already. Interesting, yet lackluster and contrived. Worth a sample. (624 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -1.5%

Hugely cloudy apricot with pale banana edges. The cap is lemon-tinted ivory in color and may be the creamiest Leinie's crown that I've seen yet. It's substantial enough to last and tacky enough to deposit lace in sudsy streamers. A textbook APWA appearance.

Beer of this style needs a hook, something to allow it to rise above simple, liquid white bread. Most good one use hops. Sunset Wheat uses coriander, a good choice. The nose is sweet and tangily wheaty and is just spicy enough to be distinctive and more interesting than the style average. Do I smell blueberries as well? Odd.

I actually had hopes that this would be my favorite beer of the Leinenkugel's line... and then I tasted it. That isn't to say that it's bad beer, just that it doesn't please my taste buds as much as it pleases my nose. Like most beer from this brewery, it suffers from a serious lack of malt; not as noticeable here as in some other styles, but still.

I'm glad that the website lists 'natural' coriander as one of the ingredients (is there any other kind?) because the coriander flavor tastes artificial to me, extract-like. It's a sweet, perfume-like flavor that doesn't taste much like the coriander that I've come to know and love in good witbiers. In fact, it tastes like grains of paradise. I guess it was too much to ask for these guys to actually nail a new beer, but I have to give them points for trying something different.

The body is light to light-medium. Again, not a problem in a style that isn't meant to be chewy. Still though, a little light creaminess would be welcome. At least it isn't bubbled to within an inch of its life.

I hadn't heard good things about Sunset Wheat, but it's actually decent beer and is an acceptable summer quaffer if well-chilled. I have to give Leinenkugel's credit for thinking outside the box with regard to the coriander (and something else?). Too bad they seem to have an inherent inabililty to brew truly good beer. (1,956 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Nice to see this seasonal come about.
It pours a cloudy yellow with a fair white head that holds up well. Lace was spotty at best.
The aroma was slight wheat malt but mostly citric hop, lemon zest and spice.
The taste again mostly citric with lemon and lime over the wheat base.
The mouth was left alittle tart & alittle dry.
Overall a good little spring beer thats drinkable while not overpowering. (404 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -9.2%

Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a cloudy blonde color with a half inch carbonated white head which went away pretty quickly. The first scent I pick up is of blueberries. I can also smell lemon, orange and wheat/grains in the beer as well. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the taste of the beer considering how good it smelled. There's only a slight blueberry taste at first before the wheat flavor kicked in. Not much of an aftertaste at all. The beer has a light mouthfeel, and it does go down pretty easy. Overall, it's just an average beer. There are much better wheat beers out there, but I would drink this again. (631 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -3%

Hazy, dirty-white orange with a small, off-white head. Nose of citrus zest, mainly lemon and orange rind. Light wheaty-siscuit background with some spice as well. Perhaps a little too citrusy. Citrus notes are up front on the palate. Orange-lemon jubilee! Thankfully, there's some malt to provide some balance. A dash of coriander finds its way too. The malt and citrus combine for a fruity sweet taste overall. Not too bad, but a maybe too sweet for a pseudo-witbier. Lemon bitterness in finish. Medium-bodied with a refreshing mouthfeel. Don't think I can have more than two! (577 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

(Served in a white plastic cup)

A- This beer had a golden blonde body that glowed through the cup and a thin white film of head on top.

S- The smell of perfumed apricots was strong and a bit chemical followed by a soft noble hop finish.

T- The sweet taste of apricots was not a perfumy as the smell with a nice soft wheat flavor that followed. There as a faint spicy to the noble hops in the finish.

M-This beer had a light mouthfeel.

D- This beer was very perfume in the apricot flavor and they tasted a bit artificial which made it hard to get through the bottom of the glass. (596 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -12.7%

Tried this at a bar with otherwise lacking offerings...

Hazy yellow, almost radioactive color. Medium head.
Smells like lemons, oranges.
Considering the haze, very light on the wheat for what I was expecting. Smooth and creamy for the most part, but overidden by a sugary sweetness that is not entirely pleasant. (317 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz bottle. New at my local store so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm not particularly crazy about most Leine's brews, but what the hell..

Very cloudy straw color, fizzy white head that doesn't stay around too long.
As for the aroma...wow..this is different. Big time blueberries, fresh-sliced lemon, and tons of citrus..the kind that won't come off your hands after you eat an orange. A bit artificial, but certainly bold enough to get my attention..one of the strongest smelling wheats I've come across for sure.
I actually think I may have enjoyed this one quite a bit.. between the viciously bold blueberry and lemon zest, combined with the wheat character..this turns out to be a surprisingly tasty summer brew. Very refreshing albeit a bit cloying..I can't argue with the fact that this one does sorta hit the spot on a 90 degree day.

If you like this, try the Sea Dog Blue Paw Wheat by Sea Dog Brewing Co.. similar flavor and both wheats.

This may just taste weird (and fruity) enough to be a really good crossover beer for some...a few girls I know have tried this and liked it (who typically won't drink any beer I offer them)...I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for this brew, but this is the most innovate thing from Leine's I think I've ever tasted. (1,293 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

The non-beer drinkers at lunch the other day were shocked when I suggested they try this. One said, "I could drink this!" The other said, "This isn't beer, it's carbonated apple juice." Indeed, it is beer. Unfortunately, it doesn't taste like beer and, while it is extremely drinkable and refreshing (e.g., over BBQ on the deck), Leinie's is missing the point. Or are they? Watching non-beer drinkers enjoy it, I couldn't help but think, perhaps, this was Leinie's way of helping the less enlightened (the hard lemonade crowd) find the path to malty bliss. (556 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -24%

A: A hazy unfiltered yellow beer with a white head that did stay up for long.

S: Blueberries. This is my favorite thing about the beer. It was an extremely strong aroma of blueberries and I couldn't detect anything else.

T: Due to the smell I was very exited to taste and see what the beer tasted like. However, the blueberry taste hit the front of my tounge and was there for a second and then let go. I was hoping for more flavors to open up but they did not. I would of been happier if the blueberry flavor lasted a little while longer. The taste of this beer is very disappointing to me.

M: eh nothing really to write home about. Came off decent but cut dry too fast for my liking in a wheat beer.

D: Me personally I don't think I would buy this beer for myself. However, my girlfriend who is not a beer drinker at all, well she likes a lambic every once in a while, loves this beer and would have it over and over again. So for my taste it's a very low drinkability but for others who are new to the style it's pretty high so I will mark it as average. (1,069 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. I has a cloudy, pumpkin-like color and a small foamy head. It smelled of orange and yeast. It tasted like clove and citrus. I guess that may have been the corriander. There was also a noticeable wheat flavor. It was a little grainy in terms of mouthfeel. It was fairly drinkable, but there are many other wheat beers that I would grab before this version. (401 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +31.4%

Appearance: Densely foggy, apricot-yellow body with a decent-sized, creamy, frothy, white head. Adequate retention.

Smell: Bam - blueberry muffins! Seriously, there's an incredibly strong blueberry scent. Odd, because none of the literature I've read on this beer says anything about being brewed with blueberries or blueberry flavoring. Moving on, the nose is awesome; tons of white grape juice, floral perfume notes, mild coriander in the background, sweet wheat, and a light lemony citric edge. Awesome.

Taste: The blueberry aroma defers to fresh-squeezed orange juice and concord grape juice, and a nice dry twang from the wheat, coriander, and Cascades. A fantastic swirl of fruity esters. The combination of wheat and fruit is reminiscent of Froot Loops or Trix, and I mean that in the best possible way. It is surprisingly well-balanced, with a dry, tangy finish. Not at all cloying.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, but nice and clean and crisp. A tad too drying in the finish.

Drinkability: Definitely the best brew I've had from Leinie's, this is an excellent, thirst-quenching-yet-savorable summer ale. (1,122 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +2.7%

Cloudy light apricot color with a decent frothy head that subsides pretty quickly to just a thin skin on top, but does manage to leave a bit of lace on it's way down.

The aroma is lemon/lime with hints of banana and coriander.

The taste also hits with lemon zest up front, then a mild wheaties tone, finishes slightly bitter, not like hops, more like the white pith inside a lemon rind. Altogether, slightly thin and just a touch to harsh on the lemon "zest", but still drinkable and refreshing.

Worth a try for a summer cooler. (540 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +1.2%

A: The beer pours a solid orange cloud, with a fluffy head that slowly recedes. As you drink a fair amount of lacing gets left on the glass.

S: I can smell some lemony zest, and Trix. Trix, as in the breakfast cereal.

T: I first I can taste some orange juice and lemonade concentrate, then I can taste the Trix cereal that I smelled at the beginning. Unfortunately, it ends sharply and watery.

M: It is just a tad watery towards the end of a drink.

D: Not bad, but the sharp taste will limit your chugging. (518 characters)

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company