Join our email list →

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States | website

Witbier | 4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 890 | Hads: 2,303
3.72/5  rDev +10.4%

This beer pours a hazy yellow with a white head that fizzles down to a ring around my glass.

The aroma is of coriander, orange, banana, and like my wife said, fruity pebbles cereal.

The flavor is of wheat malt, coriander, orange, citrus in general.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This is a decent drinkable beer. Good summer and session brew.

3.72/5  rDev +10.4%

Leinie’s Sunset Wheat is a great alternative to the fine coriander taste of Blue Moon. Sunset Wheat is a thinnish lager that pours nicely into a pint glass but loses its head rather quickly. I tasted orange/coriander bursts throughout this enjoyable brew, but was very taken by a strong impression of blueberries. This beer will make a great addition to the Leinenkugel year-round stable, and is heartily recommended for anyone looking for something a little different for their next cookout.

2.07/5  rDev -38.6%

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat was served in a plastic cup. The beer was cloudy with a pink peach color topped by a resepectable white head. The smell consisted of tangerines and lemon zest. Flavor was sweet and fruity with lots of citrus flavors. The beer was very highly carbonated with a thin body.

This tasted more like Sprite or Fresca than beer. I almost finished my cup. My friends seemed to like it though. It's beer for people who don't like beer.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours out to a light yellow cloudy color with a medium level of carbonation. Head of white foam dissipates at a reasonable rate. Some lace. Aroma smells like the Trix bunny crapped in my beer. Lots of artificial fruity smells, berries, citrus, bananas. Very much Trix like. Taste is amazingly similar: Trix. Mild maltiness blends again with medium fruity flavors of berries, citrus and a touch of estery bananas. Some notes of grass and hay. Mouthfeel is good, refreshing and bubbly. Rather smooth. Drinkability is only average, I'm getting bored with this already. Interesting, yet lackluster and contrived. Worth a sample.

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%

Hugely cloudy apricot with pale banana edges. The cap is lemon-tinted ivory in color and may be the creamiest Leinie's crown that I've seen yet. It's substantial enough to last and tacky enough to deposit lace in sudsy streamers. A textbook APWA appearance.

Beer of this style needs a hook, something to allow it to rise above simple, liquid white bread. Most good one use hops. Sunset Wheat uses coriander, a good choice. The nose is sweet and tangily wheaty and is just spicy enough to be distinctive and more interesting than the style average. Do I smell blueberries as well? Odd.

I actually had hopes that this would be my favorite beer of the Leinenkugel's line... and then I tasted it. That isn't to say that it's bad beer, just that it doesn't please my taste buds as much as it pleases my nose. Like most beer from this brewery, it suffers from a serious lack of malt; not as noticeable here as in some other styles, but still.

I'm glad that the website lists 'natural' coriander as one of the ingredients (is there any other kind?) because the coriander flavor tastes artificial to me, extract-like. It's a sweet, perfume-like flavor that doesn't taste much like the coriander that I've come to know and love in good witbiers. In fact, it tastes like grains of paradise. I guess it was too much to ask for these guys to actually nail a new beer, but I have to give them points for trying something different.

The body is light to light-medium. Again, not a problem in a style that isn't meant to be chewy. Still though, a little light creaminess would be welcome. At least it isn't bubbled to within an inch of its life.

I hadn't heard good things about Sunset Wheat, but it's actually decent beer and is an acceptable summer quaffer if well-chilled. I have to give Leinenkugel's credit for thinking outside the box with regard to the coriander (and something else?). Too bad they seem to have an inherent inabililty to brew truly good beer.

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

Nice to see this seasonal come about.
It pours a cloudy yellow with a fair white head that holds up well. Lace was spotty at best.
The aroma was slight wheat malt but mostly citric hop, lemon zest and spice.
The taste again mostly citric with lemon and lime over the wheat base.
The mouth was left alittle tart & alittle dry.
Overall a good little spring beer thats drinkable while not overpowering.

3.07/5  rDev -8.9%

Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a cloudy blonde color with a half inch carbonated white head which went away pretty quickly. The first scent I pick up is of blueberries. I can also smell lemon, orange and wheat/grains in the beer as well. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the taste of the beer considering how good it smelled. There's only a slight blueberry taste at first before the wheat flavor kicked in. Not much of an aftertaste at all. The beer has a light mouthfeel, and it does go down pretty easy. Overall, it's just an average beer. There are much better wheat beers out there, but I would drink this again.

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%

Hazy, dirty-white orange with a small, off-white head. Nose of citrus zest, mainly lemon and orange rind. Light wheaty-siscuit background with some spice as well. Perhaps a little too citrusy. Citrus notes are up front on the palate. Orange-lemon jubilee! Thankfully, there's some malt to provide some balance. A dash of coriander finds its way too. The malt and citrus combine for a fruity sweet taste overall. Not too bad, but a maybe too sweet for a pseudo-witbier. Lemon bitterness in finish. Medium-bodied with a refreshing mouthfeel. Don't think I can have more than two!

3.01/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

(Served in a white plastic cup)

A- This beer had a golden blonde body that glowed through the cup and a thin white film of head on top.

S- The smell of perfumed apricots was strong and a bit chemical followed by a soft noble hop finish.

T- The sweet taste of apricots was not a perfumy as the smell with a nice soft wheat flavor that followed. There as a faint spicy to the noble hops in the finish.

M-This beer had a light mouthfeel.

D- This beer was very perfume in the apricot flavor and they tasted a bit artificial which made it hard to get through the bottom of the glass.

2.95/5  rDev -12.5%

Tried this at a bar with otherwise lacking offerings...

Hazy yellow, almost radioactive color. Medium head.
Smells like lemons, oranges.
Considering the haze, very light on the wheat for what I was expecting. Smooth and creamy for the most part, but overidden by a sugary sweetness that is not entirely pleasant.

3.74/5  rDev +11%

12 oz bottle. New at my local store so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm not particularly crazy about most Leine's brews, but what the hell..

Very cloudy straw color, fizzy white head that doesn't stay around too long.
As for the aroma...wow..this is different. Big time blueberries, fresh-sliced lemon, and tons of citrus..the kind that won't come off your hands after you eat an orange. A bit artificial, but certainly bold enough to get my attention..one of the strongest smelling wheats I've come across for sure.
I actually think I may have enjoyed this one quite a bit.. between the viciously bold blueberry and lemon zest, combined with the wheat character..this turns out to be a surprisingly tasty summer brew. Very refreshing albeit a bit cloying..I can't argue with the fact that this one does sorta hit the spot on a 90 degree day.

If you like this, try the Sea Dog Blue Paw Wheat by Sea Dog Brewing Co.. similar flavor and both wheats.

This may just taste weird (and fruity) enough to be a really good crossover beer for some...a few girls I know have tried this and liked it (who typically won't drink any beer I offer them)...I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for this brew, but this is the most innovate thing from Leine's I think I've ever tasted.

2.71/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

The non-beer drinkers at lunch the other day were shocked when I suggested they try this. One said, "I could drink this!" The other said, "This isn't beer, it's carbonated apple juice." Indeed, it is beer. Unfortunately, it doesn't taste like beer and, while it is extremely drinkable and refreshing (e.g., over BBQ on the deck), Leinie's is missing the point. Or are they? Watching non-beer drinkers enjoy it, I couldn't help but think, perhaps, this was Leinie's way of helping the less enlightened (the hard lemonade crowd) find the path to malty bliss.

2.57/5  rDev -23.7%

A: A hazy unfiltered yellow beer with a white head that did stay up for long.

S: Blueberries. This is my favorite thing about the beer. It was an extremely strong aroma of blueberries and I couldn't detect anything else.

T: Due to the smell I was very exited to taste and see what the beer tasted like. However, the blueberry taste hit the front of my tounge and was there for a second and then let go. I was hoping for more flavors to open up but they did not. I would of been happier if the blueberry flavor lasted a little while longer. The taste of this beer is very disappointing to me.

M: eh nothing really to write home about. Came off decent but cut dry too fast for my liking in a wheat beer.

D: Me personally I don't think I would buy this beer for myself. However, my girlfriend who is not a beer drinker at all, well she likes a lambic every once in a while, loves this beer and would have it over and over again. So for my taste it's a very low drinkability but for others who are new to the style it's pretty high so I will mark it as average.

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. I has a cloudy, pumpkin-like color and a small foamy head. It smelled of orange and yeast. It tasted like clove and citrus. I guess that may have been the corriander. There was also a noticeable wheat flavor. It was a little grainy in terms of mouthfeel. It was fairly drinkable, but there are many other wheat beers that I would grab before this version.

4.44/5  rDev +31.8%

Appearance: Densely foggy, apricot-yellow body with a decent-sized, creamy, frothy, white head. Adequate retention.

Smell: Bam - blueberry muffins! Seriously, there's an incredibly strong blueberry scent. Odd, because none of the literature I've read on this beer says anything about being brewed with blueberries or blueberry flavoring. Moving on, the nose is awesome; tons of white grape juice, floral perfume notes, mild coriander in the background, sweet wheat, and a light lemony citric edge. Awesome.

Taste: The blueberry aroma defers to fresh-squeezed orange juice and concord grape juice, and a nice dry twang from the wheat, coriander, and Cascades. A fantastic swirl of fruity esters. The combination of wheat and fruit is reminiscent of Froot Loops or Trix, and I mean that in the best possible way. It is surprisingly well-balanced, with a dry, tangy finish. Not at all cloying.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, but nice and clean and crisp. A tad too drying in the finish.

Drinkability: Definitely the best brew I've had from Leinie's, this is an excellent, thirst-quenching-yet-savorable summer ale.

3.47/5  rDev +3%

Cloudy light apricot color with a decent frothy head that subsides pretty quickly to just a thin skin on top, but does manage to leave a bit of lace on it's way down.

The aroma is lemon/lime with hints of banana and coriander.

The taste also hits with lemon zest up front, then a mild wheaties tone, finishes slightly bitter, not like hops, more like the white pith inside a lemon rind. Altogether, slightly thin and just a touch to harsh on the lemon "zest", but still drinkable and refreshing.

Worth a try for a summer cooler.

3.42/5  rDev +1.5%

A: The beer pours a solid orange cloud, with a fluffy head that slowly recedes. As you drink a fair amount of lacing gets left on the glass.

S: I can smell some lemony zest, and Trix. Trix, as in the breakfast cereal.

T: I first I can taste some orange juice and lemonade concentrate, then I can taste the Trix cereal that I smelled at the beginning. Unfortunately, it ends sharply and watery.

M: It is just a tad watery towards the end of a drink.

D: Not bad, but the sharp taste will limit your chugging.

3.52/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a light, hazy amber color with a nice 2- finger head with fair head retention. Nice lacing on the glass. Has a very nice citrus smell to it; mouth-feel is decent and goes down good. Does have a slight bitter after-tatst though. A very refreshing beer on a hot summer day. Good beer!

3.95/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured a hazy amber color with modest white puffy head. Smell is a nice combination of spices, bananas, and some summer fruits (apricot, peaches) . Taste is also fruity with someotes of raspberry and lemon to be found. Finished is summer refreshing with nice mothfeel, though a bit thin. A nice drinking beer, very refreshing.

3.27/5  rDev -3%

Tastes like they blended a nice Witbier and an American Wheat. The beer had a mildly murky yellow-ness with a soft white glaze, yet disapointing head retention. Citrusy with lemon and orange zest and a rind-like bittering. Spiced up with maybe a dash of corriander, but relying on the wheat / yeast esters to decorate. The body, like most American Wheats, end up void. Finishes nicely crisp and clean except for the lingering bitterness.

2.19/5  rDev -35%

I first tried it from a bottle a friend of mine provided. I wanted to give it another chance, so I went to the Leinie's gift shop and tried it there on tap.

If you expect a typical wit style beer, you will be sorely disappointed. It was served to me in a glass with an orange wedge. I removed the wedge, but the beer maintained it's overwhelming citrus aroma. The color is a hazy orange, actually very pleasant. The taste puts it somewhere between a wit and a fruit beer; too sweet as a wit, too dry for a dessert style beer. I think Leinie's would do better off turning this into a full fledged fruit beer, such as berry weiss.

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

This beer may be off style, out of whack and even have the taste of Fruity Pebbles as other reviewers have suggested.

Yet, in a sick way, I like it!

For Leinies I think all that citric, floral and peach flavor is a bold statement. They may be talking to women and younger drinkers but I believe that this is a brew to address those who think beer can't appeal to wine and malternative drinkers.

I enjoyed the look and smell and even the sweet taste.

Won't personally buy it a case at a time but this is an adequate summer beer choice.

2.44/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured into a Schell weizen glass, no orange. Hazy pale yellow body, a little carbonation visible. 3" of white head are formed after an aggresive pour. Lemon-lime soda in the nose up front, a little graininess follows. Taste is bland versus the style, pie crust grainy/sweetness and a little citrus is all I garner from this unremarkable beer. If this was onsale for $8.99 a 12'er (as Leinie's sometimes is) I would consider getting it if it were 95 degrees and percent humidity out. Other than that, I will pass.

3.18/5  rDev -5.6%

12 oz bottle. Pours a very hazy and very light straw color with a finger-sized head that falls quickly to a small ring around the top. Carbonation is not apparent. Aroma is very citrusy. Very fruity orange, lime and lemon, with corriander spice, and a mild wheaty character. Its pleasing, but a little overloaded for my taste. Flavor is again dominated with citrusy orange and lime, with the corriander spice, backed by a mild American wheat base. It finishes very clean with just a touch of orange sweetness hanging on with a very mild bitter as well. Mouthfeel is on the light end of moderate with a moderate carbonation that keeps this one feeling lighter than it is. I just think that this one goes overboard with the fruit tones that should be supporting the flavors, not defining them. I can see where this one will go over well with some as a refreshing drink in the summer heat, but I'll not be reaching for this one at my local as a go-to.

3.2/5  rDev -5%

12 oz brown longneck with no freshness dating.

The beer pours a darkish opaque straw with a fairly dense white head.

The nose is slightly spicy with some wet grass and clear orange/tangerine smell.

The first taste is citrus (orange again) with some very subtle spices. The spices are a bit overwhelmed by the orange taste. It kind of reminds me of one of those soft candy orange slices that have the hard sugar on back. Some grainy malts emerge later.

The mouth is solid with a nice level of carbonation. Drinkablity is a bit of a tougher call. The beer is not bad and is something a little different. I would have this one again, but could never see more than having one in a night.

This may be a good beer to wean folks off those sweet alco pops. I’m glad to see Leines continuing to try new beers, perhaps they will launch a pale ale soon???

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company