Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Euro Dark Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-06-2002

4.65/5  rDev +38%

This is a perfect example of a dark creamy lager. It's velvety and smooth and chocolaty without a burned flavor in most dark beers. Smooth doesn't even cover it really, it truly creamy. The empty bottle is up on my shelf as examples of great beers right next to Midas Touch, Sunset wheat and Cherry wheat. Something I would recommend to a friend who doesn't know what real beer is but wants a great introduction. (412 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +35%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an average beer mug at around 36 degrees Fahrenheit.

Appearance: Beautiful dark amber/brown color to the beer. Nearly opaque, exactly what I would expect from a dark beer. The head is nice and foamy at about 3/4 inches tall, and recedes slowly leaving a very thin ring of head around the top of the glass. Creamy and dark; so far, so good!

Smell: Also good; gentle malt aroma accented with what smells like coffee and chocolate tones. Pristine bitterness with a mild sweetness that begs for a taste. It's bitey but also reserved...a wonderfully complex aroma. We shall proceed...

Taste: Excellent...near perfect in my opinion. Leinenkugel's may not be a "microbrewery," but they definitely took the time to personally ensure this one was right. The balance between the hops and the malt is probably the best that I have ever had. Undertone reminiscent of pine, caramel; all very, very well mixed together. Aftertaste is not bitter, it is just as creamy as the label suggests. Beautiful, we've got a winner!

Mouthfeel: Creamy, thick. Not overly carbonated, but a slow fizz occurs upon savoring the beer. Goes down very smoothly; it's not hard to take two or three sips in a row. It IS hard to put down the glass long enough to write out a coherent thought process in one take! :-P

Drinkability: I could easily drink this as a session beer, and would go so far as to suggest that it would be just as appropriate with a steak-and-potatoes dinner as it would be with a bag of Doritos and a bowl of salsa. Versatile beer here, I am impressed.

I have enjoyed many of Leinenkugel's other offerings, and this is no exception. They are a company that must truly care about the taste of their product and not "the-bottom-line." I would absolutely recommend this beer to a friend, but even more so to an enemy; the gesture of friendship may actually melt their heart of stone.

Probably not. But the point is, it's an amazing beer. 8-) (1,965 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

No " Beer Snob" review here. Bottom line is. .....great winter time lager with semi creamy finish and some toasty notes. It my go to winter time fish fry beer. (159 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

Beautiful head and lacing, light texture on the tongue, a bright after taste, a dark slightly red coloration, a lingering sweetness, effervescent, a hint of coffee bitterness. delightful and easy to drink all night. (216 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +30%

A very good beer overall.

A - Very attractive. Dark, rich, A+
S - Creamy smell. Rich, almost coffee like. A-
T - Very exceptional. Stands out from many other dark beers. A+
M - Good feel, not a cement feeling from some other dark beers. A-
D - Not very good with the "long haul", but sometimes that's a good thing. C+ (324 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +28.5%

A - Pours up an inky brown with ruby highlights, and a tan head that dissipates slowly.

S - Smells of roasted malt with some sweet malt in the background.

T - Taste starts off with a malty sweetness, finishes with a lightly roasted malt flavor.

M - Creamy mouthfeel with nice carbonation.

D - Very drinkable dark lager. (324 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.5

A: The body appears black at first glance, but glows a clear scarlet when held up to direct light; above float two fingers of fairly coarse tan head; ok retention, solid lace. Other than foam that’s not quite as creamy as the beer’s name would suggest, it’s quite lovely.

S: Very, very roasty aroma: dark chocolate, bitter coffee, char, and some grassy hops. It could almost pass for a stout, but instead of background sweetness there’s dry, flinty lager yeast. For the style, I’d have to say that this beer smells outstandingly good.

T: Starts out roasty and yeasty, with dry minerality and bitter coffee roast giving an aggressive welcome. Chocolate and hops show up midway through, with the former mellowing things out a bit but the latter adding some fairly solid bitterness to maintain the challenge. Long, dry, roasty finish. It’s a bit harsh and astringent, but I love the fact that it’s so full-flavored. Again, for a style that promises blandness this beer is simply stellar.

M: The texture is certainly this one’s biggest stumbling block, as it’s rather far from the creaminess promised by its moniker: instead, it delivers a rather thin, watery body along with carbonation that provides more of a tingle than a caress. Disappointing.

O: If it weren’t for the too-thin mouthfeel, I might be terrifyingly close to giving an A+ to a Leinie’s brew. As skeptically as I view this brewery (as I suppose anyone must who has been subjected to Summer Shandy), Creamy Dark has long been my favorite of their offerings. Now that I’ve taken the time to think more critically about it over the course of a review, I’m even more impressed. This would do well listed as a Schwarzbier, but as a Euro Dark Lager it’s really tremendous. If you’re in a crappy bar in Wisconsin that doesn’t even have New Glarus (or if you need a change of pace from Spotted Cow), look for Creamy Dark. Just don’t expect it to be creamy…

Cheers! (1,961 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +24.9%

This is a very dark lager, almost black, that reminds me a lot of a cream stout, but it is a lager and the flavor does not match the appearance or mouthfeel. That said, it is not bad tasting at all, just not as flavorful as it looks. It has hints of dark chocolate and plenty of dark malt flavors, but they are not very strong at all and make this beer a decent hot summer day brew, if you want a beer with a little character rather than a ice cold macro-swill. I have never been a Leinenkugel fan, but now I think I might change my stance on my evil neighbor state's flagship brewery. (585 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%

While in Detroit visiting I bought a case of Leinenkugel at a Costco. Their red ale has been a favorite of mine, and sorry to say, it is not available in San Diego. I am currently in Vietnam until Apr 06. There are some brew pubs here now putting out black beer which reminds me of Sam Adam's black lager and Leinenkugel dark. (326 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%

Appearance - Medium to dark brown body with a hint of amber through the light. The head tops the body light tan and standing at about a half inch tall. Decent lacing as well.

Smell - Good malt scent that really beckons a taste.

Taste - The taste starts out malty and moves to a nice strength of chocolate and even a bit of coffee. The flavor isn't overwhelming but is certainly evident. Very good taste.

Mouthfeel - The feel is soft and fluid. The flavor isn't really assisted by the feel in my opinion. In this case I think that's okay because the flavor is so solid.

~ I've been drinking and enjoying this Wisconsin original since college and I have to say it keeps getting better every time I try it. I loved it in college, and today I can honestly say I don't think I drink enough of Creamy Dark.

note: I hoist this fine brew in honor of Brett Farve retiring today. Here's to you Brett. (896 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%

Delicious burnt chocolate beer!!

Bottle, from the bottle

Jet black with white colored head

Low carbonation, fresh bottle

Tastes of malt and burnt, baker's cocoa

Smells of chocolate, coffee, and lager yeast

Mouthfeel: smooth and rich!

Overall, this is a solid beer. I do not know if I would buy a six-pack. Yet, I'd try it on draught at the first notice. (360 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

This is a good session beer. Good flavor nothing bold and a little week/watery. I think it would be a great intro too dark beer.
Look is dark with a tan head, looks good.
Smell malt and a hint of sweetness.
Taste is very mild a little roast, cream and finish with a hint of bitter.
Feel is thin and carbonation is good.
Drink very sessionable could have a lot of them. I think this is a good drink out of the bottle beer you are not going to miss much by not using a glass, and yet there is some flavor to this beer. (516 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

I poured this beer poured into a 0.4 liter schooner and it resulted in a 1.5 cm tan head that held up for a few minutes then dissapated to 2 mm. The color of the beer is a chocolate brown. The smell is a roasted grain/coffee mocha. Most dark beers are much heavier than this beer and it has a crisp taste for a dark beer. The flavor however is abundant with roasted overtones and a sweet hoppy undertone. This beer has a sparkly mouthfeel and is very light and refreshing. Best to be dranken very cold. The price is right for this beer. It came in a case of 24 with three other leinie flavors for $18. If your looking for a heavy stout this isn't your beer but if your looking for a refreshing crispy beer with dark beer flavor this is your ticket. (748 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

Appearance: Dark brown brew with a foamy tan head. Moderate carbonation.

Smell: Roast malt. Coffee, dark chocolate, minerals and minor hops.

Taste: Solid roast malt flavor with a touch of citrus bite. Nice balance, hearty and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Dry, semi-bitter finish.

Drinkablity: Tasty and sessionable. Well crafted brew. (349 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +21.1%

A darn good American Dark Lager which you don't find too often. Dark brown (auburn to light source) with a nice light brown head. Nutty and roasty malt aroma and flavor. Possible traces of a corn-ish aroma but so slight it was hard to tell for sure and it certainly did not detract. I found the beer to be on the light-bodied side but certainly creamy. (356 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +20.8%

Some of my favorite beers are dark lagers, and this one doesn't disappoint. I poured this from a bottle into a tall stein.

appearance is dark with medium brown around the edges. head is fairly white slightly off color but probably due to reflection of the beer.

smell is very nice, probably the best point of this beer. it's got some very sweet smelling notes to it and I really enjoyed this beer quite a bit before I had even taken my first drink.

taste was a bit of a let down to me. I expected it to be a little darker then it was. I guess that's the creamy part being a little lighter in flavor but over all it was really a good beer.

mouthfeel is good with a bit of a tingle to the tongue and you can tell you're drinking a good dark lager.

Drinkability is good, I would grab this beer if it was one of 10 beers available. (832 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +20.5%

Looks pretty good. Nice two finger thick light tan cranium, with great retention and lacing. The body is very dark and deep ruby red when held up to light.

This has a nice citrusy/lemon aroma upfront, with slight hints of toasty coffee.

The taste has a good citrusy character to it as well, and the coffee is definitely there.

This brew is well balanced, crisp, and revitalizes the palate quite well. I would venture to say this would hold up well with any German Schwarz (black) beer. (488 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +20.5%

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - Beautiful! 3-finger, thick, mocha-colored head laces the glass very nicely as it goes down. The body is pitch black, but transparent with ruby highlights when backlit.

S - chocolate, roasted malts, and a hint of coffee and bitter hops

T - Delicious! The flavor of roasted malts is delightfully complemented by a strong presence of bitter hops. The case and bottle specifically advertise the combination of Cluster, Cascade, and Mt. Hood hops, and I can taste why. This is a well-crafted beer indeed!

M - Thinner than it looks. Medium-bodied with medium carbonation. Very smooth!

O - This is certainly the best Leinenkugel's offering I have tried. It looks amazing in the glass, the smell is nothing but inviting, the taste is very good, and the smooth consistency is quite pleasant. I highly recommend it! (864 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner. pours a dark caramel color with garnet highlights. and a few fingers of light coffee colored head that is tight and leaves moderate lacings. wonderful settling.

aroma is of caramel and chocolate malts, with a light hop character. notes include light coffee, and a mild roasted character. well proportioned, with a pleasant feel.

taste is synonamous with the aroma, with a bit more roasted malt character. an excellent dark lager. very smooth on the finish.

mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, as would be expected, with a medium body and and a creamy finish. light on the CO2.

drinkability is great. a few of these would not hurt any beer advocate. cheers! (692 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

It poured a frothy four finger head with clingy lacing as it retreated. It was dark like molasses.

It had a well balanced mild malt and hops scent.

Malty, hoppy and a slight bit astringent. It left a dry, pleasant hop after-taste. It had a lite body that was refreshing.

It is very drinkable. A fairly neutral beer with dark lager qualities. (344 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +19%

I've never tried a "euro dark lager" before, so I decided to pick up a sixer at WalMart for something like five bucks!

This is exactly what it says. Creamy and dark. I poured this one aggressively into an imperial pint glass, and got a beautiful black brew with a three and a half finger head that went away quickly. I stuck my schnoz into the foam and it smells malty and bready...maybe pumpernickel? But wait, there is a bit of old-beer stank going on here too, and that is a little bit distracting. It really doesn't smell promising.

This tastes almost like a stout, but a little less bitter and alot more sweet. My jaw is on the floor! I can't believe how good this is for a cheapo beer that I got at a damn grocery store! It's very tasty (tastes much better than it smells), and has very little to distract from the sweet creamy malt. I like how rich and chocolatey this is, and I think that this would make for a very nice desert beer. This has me chanting in my head session, session, session.

This has a nice two step taste. First, creamy sweetness is all that I taste...then, a little bit of malt and powdered sugar fade away to a very very sweet and only very slightly dry finish. Excellent.

I am astounded at how awesome this is! It's not a very complex or interesting beer, but damn if it isn't just plain ole' good. For the money, this one is a killer! I have a crazy work schedule and it's hard for me to get to the "good beer" store when it's open but WalMart is open 24 hours a day! This could likely become a staple in my beer diet.
---

Ok, it's a few days and several more of these bad boys later, and I know it's proabably bad form to edit my review, but I just had to bump up the drinkability score to a five. Seriously, this isn't the kind of beer that grabs you by the balls and begs for attention, but I'll be damned if they aren't just plain old good! And they are dirt cheap! (that probably shouldn't be a criteria for drinkability, but when they are less than a buck a peice at the grocery store it's kind of hard not to drink them). (2,076 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +19%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a beautiful ruby-brown color with an off-white, thick, bubbly head. Smell is not overwhelming, but is of dark roasted malt and slightly of hops. The taste is similar to the nose, with the toasted malts coming out very nicely. Balanced very well and has a smooth finish. Beer is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. This is a very drinkable beer, one of my favorites by Leine's. (439 characters)

A. Deep chocolate with whispy head of 3/4". You can see through the beer if held to light.

S. Creamy and milky with a touch of roast and smoke. Oats and raisins round it out. Pleasantly complex!

T. Chocolate malt, butterscotch, whipped cream, and caramel.

M. Light and lager like but with a super creamy feel.

D. I am going to pick up a sixer of this stuff ASAP. I see the low reviews before me and I just wonder if this beer is better from the tap or if I just got a super fresh pour...anyway, I liked this beer and that's all that matters. (548 characters)

A- very dark, almost black, very hard to see through, some head, very little lacing (but the cup was plastic... ridiculous)
S- some oat, malt, a bit of coffee
T-good flavor, just a bit weak for my taste, but had a good creamy flavor, with a coffee type finish
M- creamy but moves around in mouth pretty easy, not a real lot of carbonation
D- the creaminess makes it a little hard, but the flavor is light enough to accomodate it (432 characters)

Still on my tireless quest to sample all the Leinenkugel offerings I've missed out on, and after catching their new fall explorer pack - bearing Orange Shandy, Creamy Dark, Oktoberfest, and Honey Weiss (which I, admittedly, need to retry) - I simply couldn't resist picking it up. Next beer reviews will be on Creamy Dark, this particular offering, and Oktoberfest, from my favorite mainstream brewer around. Let's light this one on fire.

Appearance - Ostensibly jet black, but added light reveals a very dark, reddish-amber color. A murky aesthetic, with the creaminess and thickness of a bourbon barrel stout, actually. Incredibly interesting and promising.

Smell - Smells heavier than any of Leinie's other offerings, with the nose detecting toasted malts. Hoping this isn't too bitter.

Taste - There is not a shred of bitterness in the beer, from what I can detect, which is probably due to the beer resembling a bit more of a watery texture. However, that doesn't erect any complaints from me. The beer is wonderfully consistent, heavy, appetizing, and follows the nose with tastes of roasted malts that give off the taste of black coffee. Throw in very light carbonation and you have a winning taste.

Mouthfeel - Pleasant and never too strong. A perfect finish to a fantastic beer.

While I'd never session Creamy Dark, for fear of extensive heaviness making me too full too fast, this beer is exquisite in its presentation and taste. It's almost a lighter, less-flavorful Dragon's Milk, which was another fantastic beer all the more. Giving them the same score because they both had me feeling the same way; warm, fulfilled, and satisfied. Hats off to Leinie's on other great beer. (1,692 characters)

Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company