Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Euro Dark Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-06-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 882 | Reviews: 316

1.25/5  rDev -62.7%

1.6/5  rDev -52.2%

Ah, so this is the "Creamy Dark Lager". Nice name.

Brewed with Caramel, Munich, Carapils, Chocolate, and three (yes, 3!) pale malts. Hopped with Cascade, Cluster, and Mt.Hood

4.94% ABV, 170 Calories per bottle.

Pours out to a Clear, deep mahogany, forming a modest light yellow, off-beige head of microbubbles with decent retention and good lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is laced with that "domestic macrobrew" twang, but this time in a "Creamy Dark Lager"! Indeed, I do not see corn listed as an ingredient, but I sure smell it. Poopy macro yeast aroma with caramelized sugar added to provide some semblance of "dark" aroma. I swear to god, when I swirl it, I get onions and rotting lettuce. Mouthfeel is thin and fizzy with a light body. Taste begins with a little bit of nothing...medicinal caramelized sugar, wood, macro-yeast blargh, and some nice fusels that give me a headache almost instantly. Bitterness tastes like the way your clothes smell after going to a smokey bar. That's enough. I can't take any more. Down the sink it goes. A belch tastes like Nag Champa.

"Highest Quality", "Hand-crafted in small batches". Poop on you Mr.Leiny, your beer sucks.

1.63/5  rDev -51.3%

I snagged this brew for the cold season that has started. Meant to warm me up in the snow, but doesn't do much of that. Not as heavy as I'd like. I see it as generic dark brew, otherwise unable to be categorized. Wisconsin you can do better than this. It's not disgusting.

1.75/5  rDev -47.8%

1.75/5  rDev -47.8%

1.8/5  rDev -46.3%

2.01/5  rDev -40%

To preface, i did not buy this beer. I was at a party and it was free. To me a fair price.

The smell was malt and generic "dark beer"

The taste was not bad or good for that matter.

For being called "creamy dark" there was no cream. That is to say it was about as creamy as skim milk.

In the end this could be a gateway beer for MGD drinkers ending in a discovery of true stouts.

2.03/5  rDev -39.4%

This creamy lager is dark, but not creamy. It poured a decent brown with a marginal head. The nose has some mild malts and light sweetness. The taste was a bit grainier than I expected. Just not much going on here. A watery body has lots of carbonation. Not very enjoyable.

2.06/5  rDev -38.5%

Poured into a pint chilled glass. A dark red pour with single finger non creamy head that quickly subsides. Just could not get into this beer. Not much aroma, poor on taste, poor on mouth feel. Nothing really to write home about. Not sure if I would try this again.

2.08/5  rDev -37.9%

2.18/5  rDev -34.9%

So this is a beer I used to actually like back in my early 20's, but of course I was drinking straight from the bottles back then.

Well, this is not 'good' the way I remember it, though it is better than the other beer's in the winter sampler pack(though I haven't tried the fireside yet!)
There is some chocolate malt, some caramel malt, some crystal too perhaps? The lager yeast is too crisp, and the bitterness too sharp. The beer isn't overly bitter, it's just that it finishes strangely. It's hard to describe.

The beer feels way overcarbonated and surprisingly thin. The fact that it is the color of a lousy brown ale means this beer doesn't live up to either of the two words that male up it's title. It is an affront to all things creamy, as well as to all things dark. No retention, no lacing. Looks flat, and about as appealing as dirty dishwater.

Overall-- yikes. This is not an F, but this is not very good either... But, at least it's better than the one made by Guinness!

2.21/5  rDev -34%

Got this on tap at a place that had the entire leines line, but nothing else. I knew better, but tried it anyway.

It arrived in a glass, and it looked like a coke with a ring of froth. I guess the ring made it beer-like, so it wasn't all that bad looking. It did look inviting enough to try.

There wasn't much smell about it, not real interesting.

Taste was like beer. Kinda like a mass produced beer with dark flavor and color added. Whoopee. At least you could drink it without wretching with disgust, so I guess it was drinkable.

Mouthfeel was pretty bad. Like pop, but thinner, with less sparkley enjoyment and a layer of that dark beer flavor. If you want mouthfeel, get the cola, it is better.

Drinkable? I guess. I wouldn't get another. Next time I'll just stick to soda.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company