Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-07-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,468 | Reviews: 461
4.73/5  rDev +57.1%

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss is a wheat beer made by Leinenkugel's Brewing Company in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. It's availabe mainly throughout the midwest US. It is one of my favorite three or four beers.

It's a fairly typical wheat beer, with a touch of a honey taste, however the honey taste isn't at all overpowering. The closest beer I can compare it with is Dundee's Honey Brown. It's typically served with a lemon slice, which I actually prefer not to have. It's remarkably refreshing during the summer, and smoothly satisfying even in the coldest of winter.

This is what I call a "gateway beer". So many people in the US are die hard Bud Light or Miller Light or <insert crappy mass produced American lager name here> fans, this is the beer I typically give these people to get them exposed to a different style of beer. This is the beer that woke me up to a whole new beer culture, and I am grateful for it.

Leinenkugel's also has a wide variety of other beers in their lineup, and most of them are good as well. In my opinion, Leinenkugel's has the best batch of variety beers (Sam Adams being a close second). To the people in Leinie country, I say thank you, and keep on brewing. To the people who have never tried a Leinie's, I say what are you waiting for? Drink up!

4.63/5  rDev +53.8%

One of my summer favorites

4.59/5  rDev +52.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This was actually a very good beer in my opinion. The aromas of honey when you open the bottle were very noticeable. The taste of this was also very good and will continue to drink this beer when I am able to do so. This is very popular in my area as well.

4.5/5  rDev +49.5%

Great flavor.

4.44/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

The Honey Weiss is one of Leinenkugel's staples. Great beer.

4.38/5  rDev +45.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: True to its character as a filtered wheat beer, it has a golden yellow color with descent head and good lacing.

S: Sweet grass fields in summer sunshine also sporting light yeast notes.

T: Sweet honey taste true to its style with floral hop notes in the back and slightly bittering at the end. The aftertaste is of very clean wheat and long lasting honey.

M/D: Not to light and not to heavy of a feel. The head is creamy and the brew doesn't leave your mouth super dry. A superb thirst quencher and good drinkability.

4.35/5  rDev +44.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is one of my favorite beers. Tastes great, not too sweet and with a good amount of malts. My favorite Leinie.

4.16/5  rDev +38.2%

I am reviewing this beer today (New Beer Sunday Week ###) in honor of UncleJedI who was in town yesterday for the Cask Ale Fest in Lititz and was talking about having been to the Leinie Lodge on his recent cross-country adventure. The CAN came to me in a rolling (no other way to describe it) trade with resi and it seems like a good way to greet the day.

From the CAN: "Wheat Beer brewed with real Wisconsin honey"; "A unique Northwoods refresher brewed with select malted wheat, Cluster hops & a hint of honey". I have known several real Wisconsin honeys and there is a real reason that I visit that state at least once a year!

Following the Crack & Glug, I was going for maximum head, so I utilized my soon-to-be-famous inverted pour, resulting in a finger-and-a-half of fluffy, bone-white head with great retention. Color was like liquid sunshine in a glass. Beautiful! Deep golden yellow with NE-quality clarity. King Midas would have been envious of the gold. Nose was very malty sweet. As a previous reviewer put it very succinctly - it smelled like being on a tour of the brewery! Dig that! I like brewery tours, BTW. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a wheat beer taste initially, followed by a lingering honey taste on the finish. Man, this was very tasty and a definite CANdidate for the imaginary cooler that I am continually filling for a beach outing. MUCH better than their Summer Shandy, which just begs to be blended with Furthermore's Knot Stock to become a Lemon Pepper Beer. Suddenly, I want to try the Berry Weiss that much more.

4.14/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sampling right now on 5/8/15 but had this several times in the past and even on tap but never did a review on it. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "LEINENKUGEL'S" pint glass.

Brew pours a golden-yellow in color with about a half-finger foamy white head. Spotty lacing is seen when sipped. The aroma is of wheat, grains with a touch of honey. Very nice. Pretty much is said for the taste and isn't over done at all with the honey. Very smooth with a bit 'o honey taste for the finish. Always enjoyed this one. Lighter to medium-bodied with perfect carbonation. Tasty brew!

4.1/5  rDev +36.2%

One of my faves once you get past the German, Austrian, and Mexican lagers. As with many beers, this one is a bit better on draft - just a bit fresher tasting.

A: Always a nice golden yellow, fairly clear. It pours with a foamy head, which quickly dissipates, leaving behind some lacing.

S: Not overpowering. Just solidly beery, with a hint of sweetness, and something giving it a freshness.

T: Good. The honey comes through without being overpowering. Just a tinge of bitterness, but because of the presence of the honey, it is very well balanced. Serves well with a squeezed lemon. Taste remains palatable even after a couple pours.

M: This beer fizzes as you drink it, nice carbonation. It feels very clean, and doesn't seem to leave behind any unwanted residual flavors.

D: Pretty good, again. There is a certain fullness to this beer, but it isn't heavy by any means. I think it is just the carbonation. It is definitely a refreshing beer, and one of the better beers in this aspect, in my opinion.

4.04/5  rDev +34.2%

Somebody left this behind in my fridge from a recent party. Looks like I win.

A - Very pale straw color. Very little head.

S - Pretty good smelling beer. Can smell the honey and a bit of lemon.

T - Sweet taste of honey.

M - Great light feel, plenty of carbonation.

D - This is a very easy drinking beer. I could have several of these with no problems at all.

Pretty good beer. Admittedly my tastes are a bit on the week side but I really like this beer.

4.03/5  rDev +33.9%

Not bad!

From the bottle; no glass involved as I have already had this beer on draught so I know the color.

Straw yellow, clear and not hazy

Smells of honey, and wheat malt

Taste: lemony malt, honey, and slightly bitter finish; well balanced beer

Mouthfeel: smooth

Its not what I normally drink! But, when someone else gives me a six pack, I'm game.

4.03/5  rDev +33.9%

The Honey Weiss is of course a honey wheat beer, it's got a little bit more of a bitter flavor than can compare to Michelob's Honey Lager - but of course we're talking ales vs. lagers here. It's a good flavor, and readily available around where I live.

I poured this beer into a perfect pint glass, it has a very small white fizzy head on it. The body is a nice golden color body. The smell is sweet of honey and some wheat. I don't taste any wheat, but i get a sweet start and a little hop finish to it, very crisp though. The mouth feel is nice and crisp on the tongue. Overall i think this is a good summer time beer.

Overall, not a bad beer, but I expected more of a honey profile in the beer. There's a bit of honey in the nose but It's barely perceptible in the beer itself. Overall the beer is good, but the wife and I just didn't pick up much of it's namesake in the profile. It's very drinkable, but I'd rather have a sunset wheat if I had a choice.

In my opinion this is just a "good, solid" beer. It's not fantastic and won't set the world on fire, but it's good. I think it has a very clean flavor. The color is also good...more clear than I'd expect for a wheat beer. The smell is also good...I also smelled a yeast/wheat smell. The mouthfeel and drinkability are also good. Like I said...it's just a good, solid beer. I'll say it ranks as "better than most" in my book.

3.97/5  rDev +31.9%

A refreshing light-bodied ale that goes down easy

A- Very clear amber-yellow with thin, big-bubbled head

S- Smells a bit like honey along with a bottle/metal hint. Not much smell

T- Tastes great on the tongue with many sweet hints carried by light carbonation. After-taste is sorta bottle/metal.

M&D- Feels real good with a light-body and slight carbonation that downs easy

3.96/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Good sweet taste. Better than original.

3.93/5  rDev +30.6%

Delicous this beer is that is all

3.9/5  rDev +29.6%

Appearance: Bright yellow, almost orange. Ok head rentention that dissipates quickly. A bit flat-looking, but by no means a bad beer.

Smell: Very faint hints of honey. Honestly, for an adjunct, Honey Weiss smells extremely pleasant. Very summery and refreshing. The honey almost transforms into a malt that evades throughout.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Honey with a creamy maltiness. Almost no hops, but some lemon bitterness maybe. Despite the appearance, Honey Weiss is quite thick in a good way. Creamy, honey, good.

Drinkability: Probably the best American Adjunct Lager. Easy to drink with no nasty taste.

Overall: Underutilized and underappreciated.

3.88/5  rDev +28.9%

a- appearance is a light golden with little white head that quickly dies down, with nice carbonation

s-The smell has a good mixture of wheat aromas with a hint of honey

t-the honey flavor in this beer is not very strong or over powering more or less just hints of honey flavor, it does not over power the malt flavors in the beer

m-light feel to this beer and pretty smooth finish

d-lighter body and good flavor combination that are not to overpowering make this beer good to drink on thous warm spring/summer days

3.85/5  rDev +27.9%

Purchased as a variety pack at Beer Zoo in Harrisburg, PA.

A-Clear yet a little hazy

S-honey and wheat

T-was very tasty in that it had that hint of honey that made the pale ale tolerable (for me anyways)

D- I would def recommend a six pack to sit back and enjoy for the games.

Overall i liked the beer even though i am not a Pale Ale lover.

3.85/5  rDev +27.9%

a-golden clear, little shadow, little head when pouring, looks like a regular light beer, but more golden yellow

s-the smell has a hint of honey

t-nice crisp taste with a hint of honey, the honey is not overpowering like berryweiss

m-very enjoyable smooth,

d-one of my favorite light beers, like i stated above the honey is very light and can easily drink a few of these beers

3.85/5  rDev +27.9%

When I picked this one out I expected what I got. Pours a bright, clear gold, with an unusually white head. Smells of honey off the comb and a little wheat esters. Tastes a bit thin but up front honey and a little wheat undertones. Pretty easy drinking and an alright after dinner drink.

3.83/5  rDev +27.2%

a: a golden color with a generous inch or higher white head that has good retention time. Leaves a fair amount of lacing very nice
s: kind of a sweet aroma with deffinate hop presence,
t: very nice sweet and bitter combination dry finish
m: medium bodied beer that is smooth and not overly carbonated

overall this is a very good beer that i can see as a session beer

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company