Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-07-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Alström Bros
Reviews: 450 | Hads: 1,490
1.1/5  rDev -62.6%

A - Pours extremely light gold with a one finger head. Very bland looking.

S - Stale malt, rice adjunct. No honey.

T - Aluminum, stale malt, slight corn, very very slight honey.

M - Light watery body with almost no carbonation. Ohhh the water.

O - Overall, this beer couldn't have been any more boring. Seriously just tasted like a light adjunct. I wouldn't have it again.

1.15/5  rDev -60.9%

A - Crystal clear pale yellow brew that appears honey colored if you know the name of the beer, but in a blind test I would call this pale-macro-lager-yellow. A foamy two finger head quickly reduces to a thin wisp of dishwater haze. Some lace is left after swirling, but it all quickly slides back into the brew.

S - Cheapo macro-pils scent with only the faintest hint of of the wheat twang that I was expecting. Mineral and metallic notes are present also.

T - Tastes more wheaty than it smells. Initial wheat twang is replaced by a corny adjunct flavor that is more akin to BMC lagers than it is a wheat beer. I taste minerals, metals, and a very unpleasant sour flavor. A little bit of lemonade flavor. Cooked corn and sugar.

M - Thin and extremely carbonated. More like soda or an alco-pop than beer.

D - This stuff sucks.

1.28/5  rDev -56.5%

Pours a clear pale golden color with no head. Isn't thsi supposed to be a wheat beer, and thus have a cloudy appearance with a big head? The stench is of aour piss. The taste is not unlike the stench. The mouthfeel is thin and fizzy. Overall, this is a horrilbe beer. My speculation is that the people at Leinenkugal call corn wheat and wheat corn. There is certainly no detectable wheat in the beer.

1.33/5  rDev -54.8%

I poured myself a Leinenkugel Honey Weiss in a .3L weiss glass. The beer seemed to seperate itself for the glass itself. Mind you I carefully clean my glasses according to accepted beer standards. The pizza glass phenomenon is not for me. So I'm not sure why there was no beer clinging to the glass.

A- Not too bad; golden in color that looks okay under artificial lighting.

S- Not so good; I couldn't differentiate anything relating to Honey or wheat for that matter.

T- Yikes. What happened to the taste? There is nothing that resembles what we call 'flavor' in this beer.

M- Watery- that's being kind too.

O- Huge dissapointment. I expected something respectable. I know I have high standards but even an average beer drinker deserves better then this.

1.57/5  rDev -46.6%

It's a shame to actually call this a beer. So far, the worst Leinie I've had yet.

It pours with no head. There is almost nothing in the smell to indicate it's a beer. Color is something similar to what I flush every morning.

Mouthfeel is like watered-down tea. Little taste, and nothing in the finish.

1.58/5  rDev -46.3%

Available everywhere in the North Midwest. Leine’s Honey Weiss pours a straw colored yellow with practically no head or lacing. Also the beer was filtered and was clear. The smell was non-existent. Some sweeter malt scenes but really not much there. No honey tones nor flowery essence.

The taste was rather plain. Similar to a macro with no hops. The malt was really the only flavor, and it tasted more like pale or base malts. No real wheat flavor and no real weizen flavor. The body was very light and really more of a watery taste to it. I was not impressed with this beer at all.

1.58/5  rDev -46.3%

By and large an unimpressive beer. I know a lot of people who drink this as their beer because it's affordable, but you get what you pay for. It's drinkable, but only as a last resort. The flavor is very bland, with little distinction, but it isn't distinguished or otherwise worthy of note.

1.6/5  rDev -45.6%

I'm usually able to appreciate Leine's ability to make somewhat different pseudo-micro stuff, but this was a disappointment from the get-go. First, It poured CLEAR yellow, with little white, foamy head. Not at all what a wheat beer is "supposed" to be. Very sour, sickly sweet smell, not at all endearing. Tastes vaguely like honey, but overall, more like a honey lager, and not a honey wheat. Mouthfeel is almost greasy, coating the tongue and throat, not enjoyable and definitely making this a one time beer.

1.65/5  rDev -43.9%

Extremely pale straw yellow. My experience is still on the limited side, but I don't think I've seen a beer this pale before. The head is bright white, almost the color of cotton, is short-lived and leaves negligible lace.

The nose is honeyish and somewhat sweet. I also smell an underlying unpleasantness that I'll call 'musty' for want of a better term. Looks like the flavor could be in trouble.

Wow, it's even worse than anticipated. LHW actually tastes like a macro. It's sort of stale and sour with an unpleasant bitterness that tweaks my tongue and makes it beg for good beer. Sweetness is noted, but it sure doesn't taste like honey. The mouthfeel is abysmally thin and watery.

It can't be that hard to brew decent beer, can it? Give Honey Weiss a wide berth.

1.66/5  rDev -43.5%

Very clear and light golden color. Two fingers of starch white foamy head settled quickly into a thin soapy film. No lacing.

The nose has small hints of banana and a grainy malt profile.
The flavor is a dose of the same, but with a sweet aftertaste... In fact, the beer is too sweet. The overall flavor reminds me of sweetened cereal grains.

The body is thin, very thin. Very bubbly. This is practically Miller Lite in nearly all aspects.

Overall... Well, after not having one of these for 7 or 8 years, I can pmfortably say that I will go at least double that before reaching for another (except in those dire situations, perhaps at a BBQ?!)

1.66/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured with a rather creamy 2 finger head that appeared to have substance but then quickly collapsed back into the beer. Very light gold color, very clear and only subtle visible carbonation. A nice looking beer actually.

Aroma is of two things sweetness and the grainy smell of wheat. Not sure I would identify the sweetness if it wasn't in the name, so I'll try not to be led and say it smells like honey.

The taste is quite empty actually. I'm not kidding. I'm getting a slight sweetness and a bit of a wheat finish. But before that, I really do not get much flavor at all. My gosh, this tastes like I describe Coors light. (Water like) Not very good at all. You have to literally hold the beer in your mouth to get a sensation of any hops.

I guess it's a drinkable as water and the mouth feel is the same. Neither of these are good in my book.

Truly not worth the calories. What a huge disappointment after I was strangely intrigued by the Sunset Wheat. I actually liked that. This on the other hand is a total waste of time.

1.68/5  rDev -42.9%

Appearance: Yellow. About all I can say.
Smell: Expected honey or other scent of a typical wheat beer, but got nothing.
Taste: Slightly sweet, with a hint of honey, like it was added as an afterthought. They brewed this an went "Oh yeah, we got to add the honey." Then just added it to the mix.
Mouthfeel: Slightly flat, with no aftertaste (thankfully).
Drinkability: Not a wheat beer. Won't have this again.

Final Thoughts: Not what I expected. Definitely worse...but don't even get me started on the Berry Weiss.

1.7/5  rDev -42.2%

Appearance - Looks like a macro. Clear, light gold. Moderately tall, soapy head that doesn't stick around too long. Fizzy.

Smell - Quite light, even indistinct. Grainy with maybe a hint of a citrus smell.

Taste - Dry and malty. A little citrusy sourness at the end. Flavor seems very thin.

Mouthfeel - Like the flavor, the mouthfeel is quite thin. Stingingly carbonated.

Drinkability - Not real good, not something I'd keep around.

1.72/5  rDev -41.5%

Finally getting around to reviewing this stuff, have had it many times in years past. Found a Leinie's 12 pack sampler for $6.99 on closeout, probably the only way you could convince me to buy it. Clear gold in color, almost no head, just a couple bubbles. Smell is of nothing much, light malt and something adjuncty. Taste is unimpressive and boring. The little sweetness that the honey imparts doesn't make up for how poorly crafted this stuff is. Not a very good beer, aviod unless you get a deal like I did.

1.8/5  rDev -38.8%

It's a good thing they told me on the bottle that this was a honey weiss, otherwise I'd swear this is a pilsner. Picked this up on a trip to the midwest, hoping to soak in local color for a bit. Imagine my dissapointment. It comes out a perfectly clear golden color, smells a bit like a bottle of Miller, and tastes..

Not even really sure what to say about the taste. Starts off a bit sweet, which I'd like to think is due to some honey somewhere, even if it just tastes like sugar. Then it finishes sour. A mediocre, unhoppy sour.

You can do better than this. Feel free to avoid it.

1.8/5  rDev -38.8%

pours a crystal clear straw yellow color with a short white head that quickly faded to the beer and no lace. weak smell of cooked veggies matchs the taste thats all i want to say about that. mouthfeel was watery and carbonation weak. drinkability zero.

1.8/5  rDev -38.8%

I poured this beer into a weizen glass thinking it was a wheat beer. Little did I know, it was Coors Light.

That's what it looked like at least; yellow, fizzy with almost no head... completely clear and exceedingly boring.

The smell was somewhat skunky; light, flavorless with almost no aroma. Bready and yeasty.

Taste was bland and almost unnatural. Absolutely no hint of sweetness from honey (as the name implies) and a very mild wheaty undertone which is more breadlike than that yeasty taste you expect from the style.

Surprisingly, Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is quite good; mostly because of it's fruitiness as derived from blueberries added. This beer really has nothing to offer, especially one advertised as a honey weiss.

Maybe your buddies who drink nothing other than Miller Light will enjoy this one.

1.81/5  rDev -38.4%

Poured a piss yellow with very little head and no lacing. Smelled of artificial honey, rice, corn, steamed veggies. Taste of lemon and grainy. Thin body. This was my first drain pour. I thought it would be a good beer on a hot day but after drinking the quality of beers that I have been drinking there was no way I was going to was my taste buds on this crap.

1.85/5  rDev -37.1%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into a Hoegaarden tumbler.

Appearance: Pale yellow, nearly straw in color. The beer pours with a very wimpy head which subsides to nothing in literally a matter of seconds.

Aroma: Cheap, generic ale-like aroma that is almost overpowered by a sickly-sweet, artificial, vaguely honey-like character. I think Bud might even smell better than this swill.

Taste: This tastes more like a lager than an ale. It bascially tastes like a honey lager. Very little wheat beer characteristics, if any, are noticed.

Overall: Wow! What a crappy beer. This is one of the worst micro/craft brews I've ever had. I had a stomach ache after just three of these. I will never buy this beer again, and I urge you to save yourself from the bad beer blues that this crap induces. This beer is subpar in every aspect - gross, to say the least.

1.89/5  rDev -35.7%

Pours pale, clear yellow. Decent head, good lacing. Carbonation apparent, not very good looking for a macro.

Smell is near non-existenet. After trying for a bit, all I can get is corn. Absolutely horrid. It can maybe be construed as a bit of corn, nothing else.

There's a bit of honey here, overpowered by the carbonation. I expected more malt, but got very little. This beer is very much mass-market oriented. The corn is readily apparent, the honey seems forced, the carbonation overpowers.

Carbonation affects the mouthfeel as always, and the drinkability is hampered. Not a good track record for Leinenkugel's thus far from me, after this winter pack I'll probably never try another brew from them.

1.89/5  rDev -35.7%

Appearance - Very clear, light yellow. Head is quick to dissipate.
Smell - Like a Miller light with a sweet note...not impressive
Taste - Drinkable, summer cutting grass type...that you want to guzzle down. No honey aftertaste and you cannot taste any wheat.
Mouthfeel - carbonated.
Overall - would not buy again.

1.95/5  rDev -33.7%

I am not very big on this beer. Tried it several times, and its actually never been very bad, but its also never been good. The idea that they even include honey, or weiss, in the name of this one is beyond me, as it doesnt seem to include either. Just a plain, run of the mill, macro lager for all I'm concerned.

1.96/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

If you reside on either coasts, far from the radius of Leinie's distribution, you probably have no idea how hugely popular this beer is, especially up around here. So obiquitous it is, I was once amused to discover a popular gay nightclub in downtown Mineapolis with a sign on the outside, on the main street, declaring "now serving Leinenkugel's Honey Wiess on tap!" Were there really people stopping before entering it's doors and saying," naw, let's skip this gay bar, no Honey Weiss!"
So let's revisit it, already, for the first time in years...
Color, a bright, shiny, utterly transparent bright yellow color, topped with a big, snow-white, fluffy head. Certainly not the "hefe" sort of "Weisen", for there's no haze at all.
Aroma: practically none, containing that usual Leinie's stink, sorry. Bit of a pilsner feel to it, but nothing like I'd expect from any wheat beer, certainly showing no traces of the "real Wisconsin honey" boasted of on the label. Appears a bit sweetish after all, though, but I still don't like it a bit.
Taste: flat, ...uneventful, lacking in malt and hops and anything pleasurable, yielding no texture and very little flavor. The honey does seem to peep up a tad, but any association you may conjure from a weizen of any kind does not abide here at all.
Now, tasting it bare naked, I know why so many prefer it with a lemon. And, now that I have one again, I understand how the customers at my bar felt when I offered them a real weizen instead, and they didn't like them at all. They don't like real weizens, and they probably don't really like beer at all.
This is so carbonated, yet flat in flavor, it's more like a soda pop, than an actual beer. Drinkability might be considered high, if the flavor and mouthfeel weren't so abysmal.
Rotten, really, but girls think it's tops. And girly guys.
Gets sour as it ends. Yuk.
Skip this, let my the sacrifice of my tastebuds not be in vain.

1.97/5  rDev -33%

Poured this into my weisen glass. Absolutely clear light orange. You literally could read through this. A thin layer of suds lay on top and left zero lacing. Smell is comparable to a musty barnyard but with hints of some zesty fruit, mainly lemon. Not very appetizing. Taste is essentially nonconfrontational. There isn't too much there. I noticed some honey as advertised, but it's quite subtle. Some citrus is apparent. I didn't even notice any wheat until the aftertaste. Body is extremely light and it is overly carbonated. Boooring!

pours with small head that actually stays around for 20 seconds or so. Aroma slight hint of honey and alcohol smell. Appearence clear blonde color. Flovor was average. It's not a swill beer, but nothing there to really get your taste buds going. decent price at 5.99 a six. Could hardly taste the honey in this beer. I've had way better wheat beers before. Nothing special.

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company