Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-07-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Alström Bros
3.06/5  rDev +2%

A) Golden color. Pours with a thin head then settles to creamy lacing along the outside edge. Active carbonation is visible. The body is transparent.
S) Yeasty with a mild sweet aroma, but no bold accentuated notes.
T) Wheaty with a barely noticeable honey flavor.
M) Smooth, somewhat creamy. Has a tingle on the tongue with a light body.
D) A decent wheat beer, but no unique characteristics to make it a stand out.

2.98/5  rDev -0.7%

wow. that being said....

she poured a pale gold, good clarity, with a decent white head

smelled almost skunked at the getgo because the nose was very euro lager/metallic. cereal grains and a lemon tang. not much of the wheat/yeast and honey nose i was anticipating

taste was more macro lager i think than anything. the honey and wheat flavors are faint. still it's never too sweet or cloying which is good. finish had the sour but pleasant wheat characteristics

body was thin for the most part. feel was crisp and slick. quite a bit of carbonation.

pretty uninteresting beer. easy to drink and probably refreshing if it were warmer out. however better for getting hammered than savoring

4.73/5  rDev +57.7%

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss is a wheat beer made by Leinenkugel's Brewing Company in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. It's availabe mainly throughout the midwest US. It is one of my favorite three or four beers.

It's a fairly typical wheat beer, with a touch of a honey taste, however the honey taste isn't at all overpowering. The closest beer I can compare it with is Dundee's Honey Brown. It's typically served with a lemon slice, which I actually prefer not to have. It's remarkably refreshing during the summer, and smoothly satisfying even in the coldest of winter.

This is what I call a "gateway beer". So many people in the US are die hard Bud Light or Miller Light or <insert crappy mass produced American lager name here> fans, this is the beer I typically give these people to get them exposed to a different style of beer. This is the beer that woke me up to a whole new beer culture, and I am grateful for it.

Leinenkugel's also has a wide variety of other beers in their lineup, and most of them are good as well. In my opinion, Leinenkugel's has the best batch of variety beers (Sam Adams being a close second). To the people in Leinie country, I say thank you, and keep on brewing. To the people who have never tried a Leinie's, I say what are you waiting for? Drink up!

2.69/5  rDev -10.3%

I am somewhat unfamiliar with its supposed style and not a genuine fan of the wheat beers, but none the less I have had some. This beer was very very pale, with an almost macro taste. I did pick up on faint scents and tastes of honey but not nearly at the levels that one would anticipate. Appearance scores this beer a few points simply because the head retention is good...but that's it. The worst Leinenkugel I have had yet...worst part is I cant use the bottles for homebrew because they are twists ERRGH!

3.12/5  rDev +4%

Pours a light gold out of the bottle and has a slight foamy head and semi bubbly. It has a moderately strong wheat smell to it.

The honey wheat taste definitely comes through. But the big drawback for me was that it left a pasty aftertaste. Worth a shot, but not a big fan.

3.22/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured into a pint.

A: Bright but thin straw color. Medium carbonation pours into a slight white bubbly head which quickly dissipates leaving a smattering of bubbles on the surface. Pretty substantial carbonation continues to rise throughout. No real lacing.

S: A little malt, wheat, yeast, prominent lemon, and a touch of honey.

T: Wheat and yeast. Hoppy and lemony.

M: Light body, sharp, and a bit of a metallic aftertaste.

D: Light body, refreshing body with a decent flavor make for good drinkability.

Decent atmosphere. A nice distinctive nose. Flavor is decent, but the honey (as the name suggests) doesn't really come out in the flavor. Feel is okay. When it's all said and done, a solid quaff.

3.3/5  rDev +10%

Picked this up in Totowa recently - not sure exactly why, but it was available as a single bottle and I wanted a change from what I've been having lately. This is a pretty average beer in all regards, but I wasn't expecting much of anything from this either. It's not summer out, but I can easily see myself having one of these on a nice weekend afternoon!

This had an average pour to it - clean, crisp, and strongly resembling a pils. There wasn't a lot of carbonation with this beer and the same could be said for the head and lacing. The taste is pretty malty with some bread and honey tossed in for good measure. The only resemblance of hops is in the back, and even so, it's pretty faint. I'd also say there's a bit of grass and straw in this, but by no means is this a rye beer.

The 4.90% ABV can hardly be felt here and this has "session beer" written all over it. Sure, I like my beers complex, but once in a while, it's good to veg out and have something without thinking about it. Now where did summer go?!?!??

3.07/5  rDev +2.3%

The more opportunities I've had to pour myself a glass of HoneyWeiss, the more I've liked it. The first time, was not a great experience, but some family had given me a 12 pack. Slowly but surely over the next couple of weeks, I found myself enjoying the subtle tastes of a good wheat beer beneath the initially sweet honey.

Like many of Leinenkugel's flavors, this is a great stepping stone brew. From here, I am excited to try some of the Mead beers that are out there.

2.7/5  rDev -10%

Pours a fizzy light yellow with a little frothy head that diminishes quickly. Pours like most macro beers.

Aroma was very faint. There wasn't much honey. It was much drier than I expected. Not much body either. Carbonation isn't as rough as some macros, so i guess that's a plus. So if you like the high attenuated dry macro type, This is an easy drinker. I just hoped for more flavor and body.

3.01/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours light pale yellow with foamy head...not a particularly attractive beer

Surprisingly attractive sweet spicey nose with nice wheat undertomes

Sweet and lite with a hint of sour. Not on overly discernable weis flavor

A little fizzy, but not a bad light refreshing beer.

3.05/5  rDev +1.7%

Not too far from expectation, but not exactly on target either. The honey is there but more difficult to detect than I would have liked. Light flavors of wheat and a little sweetness. Very light head of foam that dissipates quickly with minimal lacing. It's a little more watery than I would have liked, but otherwise okay.

3/5  rDev 0%

I know there's a difference between pale ale and India Pale Ale, but for regular pale ale I'd rather have a Sierra Nevada, also I couldn't detect the honey, should I have another? It was worth a try, but I was a bit disappointed. Good thing I got a deal on the stuff ..

2.9/5  rDev -3.3%

This beer poured an orangish yellow with a two-finger head. The smell is faint but sweet, with a little honey and grain. The taste starts off with some corn-tasting sweetness that gives way to honey, reminds me of a standard American lager with some honey in the bottle. The mouthfeel is watery with some fine carbonation. This is a pretty drinkable beer, but really not what I expected from the label.

2.23/5  rDev -25.7%

12 oz bottle out of a six pack my buddy bought out of curiousity. Served up in a DFH shaped pint.

A: Poured a very pale, incredibly pale yellow. Very macro yellow. Incredibly macro yellow. The head was about a finger but it went away as quick as I poured it. No lace. Nothing. Lame.

S: Smell is a lot of corn presence. If it is a plus, the corn smells fresh and sweet. There is a slight honey scent, but it is incredibly faint. This smells like your basic lager.

T: Taste is very much of a pale lager. Lots of corn and grassy hops. The honey is very light and I suppose it sweetens this up a little. The beer is totally of a pale lager macro.

M: Light bodied brew with a very high carbonation. The carbonation makes this incredibly crisp and refreshing. The high point of this beer is that it is so easy to drink. No ABV going on here.

D: This beer is simple and a bit of a let down. If that is your thing, this the beer for you. Personally, if I want a macro, I'll buy a 12 pack of High Life for the price of this six pack. Flavors, look and smells are all basic and kind of crappy. This doesn't stand up the the style at all IMO. Not a fan, but hey, at least it doesn't have the crazy fruity pebbles flavor the Berry Weiss and Sunset Wheat had.

3/5  rDev 0%

Pours a pale yellow slight hazy and no head, someone had thrown a piece of lemon in it. I cannot get my head around why, I tried to pull it out straight away but the beer tasted of lemon afterwards anyway. No real aroma, slight sweet and corn. Honey? Not in my flavour, almost no flavour but the lemon and a bit of wheat notes, rather watery.

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance: Straw/gold color, small head, very little in terms of retention

Aroma: Mild, and at most..honey and grain.

Taste: Some grains, and sweetness from the honey...but overall it is pretty mild...I guess mild would be the nicer way of saying "bland", which is what I am leaning towards. Its not bad, but I'm not that impressed by it.

Mouthfeel: Light and carbonated..so it is "crisp" in some sense, but otherwise, nothing too special.

Drinkability: Taste is fairly unoffensive, and the mouthfeel is average, so this is good for this. I wouldn't have a huge problem with a couple of these, its just that I can get much better beers of the same style. Nothing special

2.28/5  rDev -24%

Pours a nice straw color with a bit of head, although no lacing and no floaties. Taste and aroma were like lemon dusting spray. Couldn't finish it, but had to pour it out. It was pretty horrible. I went down fine, but that's second to the taste. I couldn't even get the honey flavor from it.

2.68/5  rDev -10.7%

Had this on tap because it was the best choice over bud and miller lite along with several other similar beers.

A: golden color with a touch of amber, very frothy head with a small amount of retention and no lacing.

S: very weak smell, what I can pick up are traces of caramel and a honey smell which I think my brain was tricking me into because of the name.

T: rather bland with traces of a sweet caramel taste with what I assume was a honey sweetness as well. Not very hoppy or malty.

Overall I would only recommend this because it has decent flavor and feels like you could drink an endless amount. I know Leines makes some decent brews but I wasn't a huge fan.

3.36/5  rDev +12%

A- very pale yellow colored body with a small white head. some small visible bubbles.

S- honey, metal, and grain.

T- sweeter than normal wheat. i guess thats from the honey.

M- crisp, clean, and refreshing. well carbonated.

D- certainly not one of my favorites, but something i could see myself drinking several of while camping or in an other situation where im "roughing it." easy to drink and reminds me of summer.

2.79/5  rDev -7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Pale yellow beer, filtered pristinely clear. A frothy, pristinely white head topped the beer and retained nicely. The beer looks to be highly carbonated, which was verified when I tasted.

S-Grainy with hints spicy hop. Subtle aroma, crisp.

T-Wheaty and a little grainy malt, but otherwise kind of blah. Some slight bitterness to counter the malts. Subtle honey character is barely perceptible.

M-As it appeared, the carbonation level is high, as is appropriate to wheat beers. Light-moderate body, at times feels just a little watery.

D-This would be an OK session beer, but it's not a spectacular brew. The flavor is rather plain, the characteristics are unremarkable. Regardless of this, I'll likely continue to drink it, as Leine's Honey Weiss is a staple throughout Minnesota and the Midwest. Not bad, but not good.

2.76/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at the Vikes games for the same price (seven bucks) as lesser macro options. I mean, as macros and adjucncts go, this beer is pretty decent, but as an American wheat, it kind of sucks. The aroma has typical DMS/cooked corn like other Leinenkugel brews. The flavor does start out with a mix of Triscut-wheat taste and a drop of honey flavoring, but it's followed by adjunct off-flavors. To reiterate, for cheap beer, its not bad, for craft beer, it sucks.

2.91/5  rDev -3%

I found this bottle in my parent's refrigerator in Tampa, FL and poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a nice cloudy dark gold color with a two finger sized white head. There was good retention and ok lacing.
Smell: Pale wheat maltedness, not very appealing.
Taste: Orange peel, spiced.
Mouthfeel: Crisp and refreshing.
Drinkability: Fair.
Don't drink and review.

1.89/5  rDev -37%

Pours pale, clear yellow. Decent head, good lacing. Carbonation apparent, not very good looking for a macro.

Smell is near non-existenet. After trying for a bit, all I can get is corn. Absolutely horrid. It can maybe be construed as a bit of corn, nothing else.

There's a bit of honey here, overpowered by the carbonation. I expected more malt, but got very little. This beer is very much mass-market oriented. The corn is readily apparent, the honey seems forced, the carbonation overpowers.

Carbonation affects the mouthfeel as always, and the drinkability is hampered. Not a good track record for Leinenkugel's thus far from me, after this winter pack I'll probably never try another brew from them.

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%

Notes from Aug 08
Sort of a deep straw color,with a faint yeast aroma,maby straw. A light crisp flavor but lacking in any thing that really stands out,very little in the way of hops or malt in the aroma or flavor,and where is the Honey promised on the label,very average,drinkable but very average.

3.67/5  rDev +22.3%

12 oz brown bottle

My fathers favorite brew. One of the first beers I ever consumed.

A - Golden yellow color

S - Ah! Smell that processed honey smell. As bad as it sounds it is rather appealing.

T - Slight malt flavor with faint honey character. Just enough honey to make it enjoyable and memorable.

M - Heavy carbonation, very crisp

D - Decently drinkable. Best consumed ice cold and on a hot summer day.

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company