Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Honey WeissLeinenkugel's Honey Weiss

poor

good

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-07-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Alström Bros
Reviews: 449 | Hads: 1,482
3.47/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a very light yellow with moderate carbonation, and thin head which slowly subsides
S - Banana-like alcohol scent, with subtle honey
M - Bubbly and carbonated, medium-light bodied
T - Mostly wheat-beer hints, with the honey coming through slightly on the backend
D - A good wheat beer with the honey adding some slight sweetness and keeping it from becoming too dry (378 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured a light yellow with a very thin head
Smell was almost nonexistent
The taste was VERY mild with just a hint of sweetness, this is a thin brew that you have to TRY to taste.
All in all it was worth the money and isn't a bad beer just not memorable. I would buy it again for just drinking while I puttering around the house.

Paid $4.99 for a 6 pack (358 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -8.2%

Leinie’s Honey Weiss is what it is, an average American wheat beer. Everything about it is pretty unimpressive. The main thing I can say to its credit is that the honey aspect is nicely done. It’s not at all a cloying, sugary honey flavor. The beer is very light gold/yellow in appearance, without much head to speak of. It’s fairly smooth tasting, with grass being the prevalent flavor on my tongue. A good yard beer. (421 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -27.5%

Best by March 11, 2013

Appearance: Crystal clear straw color with zero head. Looks like AAL.

Smell: Not impressive. Smells like adjuncts.

Taste: What taste? I can't make out any honey. It tastes like AAL. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Light... like water.

Overall: Stay away. I might drink one for free. (301 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +32.3%

a-golden clear, little shadow, little head when pouring, looks like a regular light beer, but more golden yellow

s-the smell has a hint of honey

t-nice crisp taste with a hint of honey, the honey is not overpowering like berryweiss

m-very enjoyable smooth,

d-one of my favorite light beers, like i stated above the honey is very light and can easily drink a few of these beers (381 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a clear golden yellow with a thin white head.

Light sweetness from the malt and honey in the aroma.

Light, almost fruity flavors. Some hop notes present, but not bitter. Wheat notes also present.

Light body and medium-high carbonation for the mouthfeel.

Very easy drinking beer. Good for those who want an alternative to the typical macros, but more experiences beer drinkers will probably find this bland. (424 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -2.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Clear golden yellow color with almost no head. Minimal white lacing. Mediocre carbonation.

Smell: Wheat, grainy malts, crackers, and honey.

Taste: Pretty much the same as the nose, very sweet.

Mouthfeel: Almost watery. Light bodied.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink. Sort of bland. Crisp and clean.

Ending notes: Overall, not too impressive. I didn't hate it, but I won't be getting this one again anytime soon. Average summer beer at best. (497 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A sweet tasting beer. Crisp and refreshing.

Yellow colored body with a white head.

Smells like citrus, hops and honey.

Tastes hoppy with sweetness from the honey and a strong citrus finish.

Light mouthfeel, high carbonation.

I like to drink this beer once in a while. Very refreshing. (289 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -21%

A: Transparent pale yellow with a half inch white head made of fine bubbles. The head vanishes to a fine layer on the top after a very short time. There is visible carbonation throughout.

S: Smells of wheat beer and clover honey.

T: Very wheaty taste. Honey is very slight on the after taste. Has almost a tart sensation to it.

M: Feels watery and lightly carbonated.

D: Although drinkable, not something I'd buy a full case of. I have six bottles from their Adventure Sampler and that's plenty for me. (506 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +5.8%

Notes from 3/10/10 tasting. Bottle poured to tall European lager glass.

A-clear golden with big foamy head, settled but remained

S-kind of dank and skunky

T-light, sweet lager taste, but little of the honey

M-pretty good mouthfeel, light and refreshing, but nothing like a Weisse, Hefeweizen, or Krystalweisse

D-could definitely drink a few of these if I was in the mood, but not a great beer (397 characters)

3.01/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours light pale yellow with foamy head...not a particularly attractive beer

Surprisingly attractive sweet spicey nose with nice wheat undertomes

Sweet and lite with a hint of sour. Not on overly discernable weis flavor

A little fizzy, but not a bad light refreshing beer. (275 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -19.2%

Made a recent family journey to Flint Michigan and our first stop was at a Rite-Aid for a candy bar. Lo and behold on the floor was a 12 pack on sale of Leinenkugel Honey Weiss. My curiosity overtook me. I have never ever had a Leinenkugel product and was quite excited at the prospect. Now "Rite Aid" and "on sale" should have clued me in, but I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Poured to a very pale yellow almost like grapefruit juice, with liitle to no head to speak of. I'm no chemist, but honey+wheat do not equal skunky (normally). The merit of this beer is its longevity. Tasted exactly the same (maybe even better) when room temperature was achieved. Macro brewing personified. Lifeless and redundant. (710 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +2.4%

The appearance of this beer is a light golden color with little head. It had a faint hop smell, and a slightly sweet taste with a hint of a hop taste. There was a smooth mouthfeel, but overall it is not an impressive brew. Though when there is limited choice, or your low on cash not a bad brew to have by far. (310 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +57.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This was actually a very good beer in my opinion. The aromas of honey when you open the bottle were very noticeable. The taste of this was also very good and will continue to drink this beer when I am able to do so. This is very popular in my area as well. (256 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +15.1%

A: Clear yellow with a one-finger head. Died fast but has a good amount of lacing.

S: Grainy malts and wheat. A tiny hint of honey.

T: Very wheaty with a tiny bit of sweet honey.

M: Decent amount of carbonation with a clean finish. A medium body thanks to the trace amount of honey flavor which seems to thicken the beer by a small amount. A little watery nonetheless.

O: Easy to drink, clean finish, one of the more fuller-bodied Kristalweizen's but was still a little too watery. Overall a good beer with common flaws, so compared to others, one of the better ones. (571 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Serving: Cold bottle into glass

Appearance: Clear, golden yellow, with white, frothy head and surprising amounts of lace. I'm mildly surprised.

Smell: Definitely wheat, a fair amount of graininess, a bit of that 'clove' characteristic of weizen's but not overpowering. An interesting nose considering the source, but pretty light overall.

Taste: Pretty easygoing, however it is very grainy, and has a sulfuric aftertaste.

Feel: pretty light and crisp, though drying in the finish.

Overall: Not bad for Leinenkugel. This was one of my first beers and it's fun to go back to. I was surprised by the appearance and smell, but the taste did not quite deliver in my opinion. A good summer beer nonetheless. (707 characters)

Overall, not a bad beer, but I expected more of a honey profile in the beer. There's a bit of honey in the nose but It's barely perceptible in the beer itself. Overall the beer is good, but the wife and I just didn't pick up much of it's namesake in the profile. It's very drinkable, but I'd rather have a sunset wheat if I had a choice. (337 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Aside from the head, it looks like a lager with a clear yellow-gold body. Head has some staying power.

S - Honey, lemon and skunk. Pleasant and weird at the same time.

T - I don't know how to describe this. Very weird. I'm getting some light lemon peel with sweetness and maltiness. The finish is strange. Toothpaste?

M - Pretty watery.

O - Pales in comparison to the Sunset Wheat. If I wasn't a cheap ass in need of a buzz I would've probably set it aside. (494 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into 7 oz. glass.

Light golden color. Perfectly clear, which I don't like to see in wheats. Head disappeared quickly. Lacing weak, non-existent.

Honey smell faint, but decent.

Taste of honey much less obvious than other honey beers. Good balance of malt and hops. Medium carbonation.

Mouthfeel is like carbonated water, except for the malt.

Could easily do a session, but wouldn't necessarily want to. (428 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +62.5%

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss is a wheat beer made by Leinenkugel's Brewing Company in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. It's availabe mainly throughout the midwest US. It is one of my favorite three or four beers.

It's a fairly typical wheat beer, with a touch of a honey taste, however the honey taste isn't at all overpowering. The closest beer I can compare it with is Dundee's Honey Brown. It's typically served with a lemon slice, which I actually prefer not to have. It's remarkably refreshing during the summer, and smoothly satisfying even in the coldest of winter.

This is what I call a "gateway beer". So many people in the US are die hard Bud Light or Miller Light or <insert crappy mass produced American lager name here> fans, this is the beer I typically give these people to get them exposed to a different style of beer. This is the beer that woke me up to a whole new beer culture, and I am grateful for it.

Leinenkugel's also has a wide variety of other beers in their lineup, and most of them are good as well. In my opinion, Leinenkugel's has the best batch of variety beers (Sam Adams being a close second). To the people in Leinie country, I say thank you, and keep on brewing. To the people who have never tried a Leinie's, I say what are you waiting for? Drink up! (1,287 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +6.5%

This clear golden beer poured a small inch and a half size white head that left some lacing.

The smell whats a mixture of sweet bread like with a lemon like smell

It didn't have a very strong flavor to it but i could taste some hint of malt and hops...but not any honey like taste as the name infers.

I felt that it was a medium carbinated beer that reminded me of a light beer.

It is def. a easy to drink beer that is a good change of pace from your typical american beer and when you need a break from the great german variety that I get to enjoy, however, I enjoy some of the other leinenkugel (600 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +14.8%

Smell-Very honey like. Some hops.

Looks-Straw like yellow. Not that great.

Taste-Lots of honey up front. The after taste isn't that great. The after taste, taste like a Bud Light or something like that.

Overall it's not that bad of a beer. Much better than Bud Light or a big mainstreem beer..but not far off from them. Give it a try. (337 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -25.1%

If I were served this beer in a blind taste I might not be quite as harsh, but for a beer that is marketed as a premium "craft" beer, this is a shameful product, really average beer at the price of good six pack. The flavor is muted, the mouthfeel flat, and aroma and aftertaste are pretty much MIA. I've had their northwoods lager and other phonies and would pretty much say the same thing: these beers are macro quality masquerading as micros. (445 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden yellow with a one-inch white, foamy head that settles quickly, but leaves a fair amount of thin lacing behind.

Amora is slightly sweet, mostly faint honey and malt.

The taste is about what the amora indicated: slightly sweet from faint malts and honey. Theres also a very faint fruity element in there as well, maybe banana?

Overall, a very light bodied but highly drinkable beer. Carbonation reminds me very much of a macro, but it does have a nice clean, crisp finish. Nothing really good or bad about this beer. (545 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +5.5%

The more opportunities I've had to pour myself a glass of HoneyWeiss, the more I've liked it. The first time, was not a great experience, but some family had given me a 12 pack. Slowly but surely over the next couple of weeks, I found myself enjoying the subtle tastes of a good wheat beer beneath the initially sweet honey.

Like many of Leinenkugel's flavors, this is a great stepping stone brew. From here, I am excited to try some of the Mead beers that are out there. (473 characters)

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company