Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-07-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Alström Bros
Reviews: 451 | Hads: 1,499
2.88/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden yellow with a one-inch white, foamy head that settles quickly, but leaves a fair amount of thin lacing behind.

Amora is slightly sweet, mostly faint honey and malt.

The taste is about what the amora indicated: slightly sweet from faint malts and honey. Theres also a very faint fruity element in there as well, maybe banana?

Overall, a very light bodied but highly drinkable beer. Carbonation reminds me very much of a macro, but it does have a nice clean, crisp finish. Nothing really good or bad about this beer.

3.07/5  rDev +4.4%

The more opportunities I've had to pour myself a glass of HoneyWeiss, the more I've liked it. The first time, was not a great experience, but some family had given me a 12 pack. Slowly but surely over the next couple of weeks, I found myself enjoying the subtle tastes of a good wheat beer beneath the initially sweet honey.

Like many of Leinenkugel's flavors, this is a great stepping stone brew. From here, I am excited to try some of the Mead beers that are out there.

2.32/5  rDev -21.1%

i don't have much experiance with wheat beers, but this definately is not like the others i've had. pours very pale just like a mass produced lager with no head at all. there was no cloudiness as i've seen in other wheat beers. very slight honey flavor, but not too noticeable. save your money and just buy bud or miller, this really isn't any better and i don't thionk you're realy getting a wheat beer.

It has a straw color apperence with little head or lacing. Its suppose to taste like honey but I tasted only hops and wheat. Basically, the good thing is its a beer and not water. But the taste is average for a wheat ale of its kind. I was not great but not bad. I would drink it if thats the best you have.

2.16/5  rDev -26.5%

So I've seen and heard about this beer quite often. I finally tried it and I really wanted to like it. However, this was just a deplorable attempt by Leinenkugal. The appearance is ok with not much of a head and no real lacing but the color may lead you to believe the are some layers of flavor in the glass. The scent is an overwhelming aroma of corn and every other type of cheap filler you can think. Call the smell rancid, skunky or just flat out cheap...it wasn't pleasant. The taste is so disappointing. I can't say it's too horrible as you can drink it...if your Nicholas Cage in "Leaving Las Vegas" and need a "fix" but the corn and grassiness hits you right of the bat and you then quickly get some nasty honey flavor. In my opinion there is balance here and it's all bad! The mouth-feel reminds me of tap beer from rusty pipes in a dive bar. Avoid this one! It's too bad , some of Leinenkugal's stuff isn't bad, but they crashed and burned on this one.

2.53/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured into a pilsener. A very light straw color with really no head.

There is really not much of a smell to it, maybe a hint of honey?

Mouth? I'm drinking one as I write this, is thin with a little too much carbonation.

As far as taste goes, I've had a few kristall's and this isn't even close. there is no "sourness"? that should be in a weiss, even a kristall weiss.

All in all, I don't think I will buy this beer again, it just doesn't have much going for it other than you could drink a lot of this in one sitting.

4.1/5  rDev +39.5%

One of my faves once you get past the German, Austrian, and Mexican lagers. As with many beers, this one is a bit better on draft - just a bit fresher tasting.

A: Always a nice golden yellow, fairly clear. It pours with a foamy head, which quickly dissipates, leaving behind some lacing.

S: Not overpowering. Just solidly beery, with a hint of sweetness, and something giving it a freshness.

T: Good. The honey comes through without being overpowering. Just a tinge of bitterness, but because of the presence of the honey, it is very well balanced. Serves well with a squeezed lemon. Taste remains palatable even after a couple pours.

M: This beer fizzes as you drink it, nice carbonation. It feels very clean, and doesn't seem to leave behind any unwanted residual flavors.

D: Pretty good, again. There is a certain fullness to this beer, but it isn't heavy by any means. I think it is just the carbonation. It is definitely a refreshing beer, and one of the better beers in this aspect, in my opinion.

3.66/5  rDev +24.5%

Is this really a wheat beer? Don't think so. When poured in the glass this brew virtually had no head. Taste like a macro style pilsner. It goes down good, and taste great ice cold on a hot Kansas summer day, however, I don't think this will be a brew that visits the ol fridgo very often.

i was excited to see this for sale in philadelphia in a variety pack since i can only get the sunset wheat in new york . well the honey weisse was a big disappointment i mean big . there was nothing to this beer i think id even drink a rolling rock over this im just wondering if i got some bad ones because the red lager and sunset wheats in the pack were very nice . p.s the other beer in the pack was the creamy dark not that good either

3.5/5  rDev +19%

Just cracked one of these on a great spring day...can't get much better for the bargain. Sure there's better beers but this one hits great price point and is a quality brew. Great notes of Honey...go figure. Just enough sweetness in it to get you through a warm spring/summer day. I'd take this over the Shandy any day....the shandy is too sweet and fills you up so fast. This is a great session beer.

1.89/5  rDev -35.7%

Appearance - Very clear, light yellow. Head is quick to dissipate.
Smell - Like a Miller light with a sweet note...not impressive
Taste - Drinkable, summer cutting grass type...that you want to guzzle down. No honey aftertaste and you cannot taste any wheat.
Mouthfeel - carbonated.
Overall - would not buy again.

3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Pours a yellowish urine color.

S- Very minimal smell of honey. However, it does smell sweet.

T- Lighter than other Leinenkugel's beers, and with this one I can taste the alcohol. Definitely lacking something.

M- Tastes actually like a light beer

Not a favorite of mine, bought it in a winter variety 12 pack.

2.81/5  rDev -4.4%

Very good looking amber beer Slight head to it very low carbonation The smell of it was very malty The taste of the beer was very bitter which is why I didn't really care for it to me it wasn't very drinkable I probably won't have it again any time soon

2.67/5  rDev -9.2%

Little to no head. A piss yellow color. Mouth felt a little heavy. the honey was nice...I thought it would have been too sweet, but was impressed with the flavor.

Leaves a little after taste but not necessarily a bad one. I'd say this is more of a cooler weather beer despite it being boxed in the summer sampler.

Overall: Try it

2.98/5  rDev +1.4%

Serving: 23-oz. "Brewtus" serving at Applebee's, Rochester, MN

Appearance: Bright amber color, thin, white lace (the head had already dissipated by the time it reached the table) that hung around for a while. Pretty good looking.

Smell: Nondescript; the smell of honey barely appears.

Taste: Thin honey taste with few other real flavor components. The taste isn't really enough to distinguish it; slight (very slight) bitter notes became apparent as the beer warmed up.

Mouthfeel: Am I drinking water? I don't know.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, crisp and clean with little aftertaste, but the other factors are unimpressive.

Overall: Leinie's is something I'd drink if the only other choices were macros, but given a choice, I'll stick with one of my more usual brews.

3.58/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle to mug.
Little head and light on the lace. Nice color, bright and inviting.
Very slight sweet aroma, malty.
Touch of sweetness and low on the hops.
Carbonated well but enjoyably smooth.
I quite enjoyed it, would suggest, good to just sit down and chill out with, not overwhelming.

2.83/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance- pours out a clear golden/dark yellow with thin white head that disapates rather fast and it is highly carbonated

Smell- smells sweet and honey like and strong wheat aroma with a hint of hops

Taste- The wheat and corn adjuncts are what hit the palate first followed by a honey citrus mixture

Mouthfeel- Goes down smooth for the high carbonation, could be described as watery

Drinkability- This beer is refreshing and goes down easily, perfect for summer

1.33/5  rDev -54.8%

I poured myself a Leinenkugel Honey Weiss in a .3L weiss glass. The beer seemed to seperate itself for the glass itself. Mind you I carefully clean my glasses according to accepted beer standards. The pizza glass phenomenon is not for me. So I'm not sure why there was no beer clinging to the glass.

A- Not too bad; golden in color that looks okay under artificial lighting.

S- Not so good; I couldn't differentiate anything relating to Honey or wheat for that matter.

T- Yikes. What happened to the taste? There is nothing that resembles what we call 'flavor' in this beer.

M- Watery- that's being kind too.

O- Huge dissapointment. I expected something respectable. I know I have high standards but even an average beer drinker deserves better then this.

3.5/5  rDev +19%

I really started enjoying these after a few, but all and all, this is just a very decent, light bodied beer and not much more. It's not bad and it's not great, but it is very drinkable. It's better than a lot of mainstream beers for sure.

3.07/5  rDev +4.4%

A- very light yellow with a very small head that dissolves quickly.

S- A nice wheat smell with a hint of both lemon and honey

T- A bit more sour than I was expecting. Having had the Summer Shanty and the Sunset Wheat, I was thinking that the honey would sweeten up the beer but somehow, it had the opposite effect, making it tart. Not an overwhelming taste of honey but it was present.

M- Very carbonated. Had a bit of an aftertaste of honey that does sit nicely on the tongue but fades away quickly.

D- Not nearly as drinkable as the other Leine's. I finished a six pack but it took over a week to have the desire to sit down for each one (and I could only take one at a time taste wise).

4.03/5  rDev +37.1%

The Honey Weiss is of course a honey wheat beer, it's got a little bit more of a bitter flavor than can compare to Michelob's Honey Lager - but of course we're talking ales vs. lagers here. It's a good flavor, and readily available around where I live.

2.36/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer poured thin, with pretty much no head. The color is a pale yellow and the beer seemed very carbonated with tons of bubbles sticking to the glass. The first smell was some what disturbing. Smelled of rotten wheat. The taste was similar to a cheap light beer. There was a little bit of hoppiness in as it hit the tongue which was the highlight but other than that very light and watery. Easy to drink, but not very enjoyable.

3.26/5  rDev +10.9%

Now here's a brew that makes me drool a little and say mmm. . .beer. There is nothing special at all about this beer. In fact the honey taste is either hidden very well or non-exsistant. This isn't a bad thing but makes this beer rather boring. This one is best enjoyed as a 12 pack. Honey Weiss goes down smooth and tastes pretty good.

2.3/5  rDev -21.8%

I was pleasantly surprised to find this beer in the supermarket, having never seen it before. I bought a six pack as I love Wheat beers. One thing to note right away, this is not a Hefe Weizen and is not advertised as such.

Poured the beer and foam was average, bubble size average.
Foam retention was average, which for a wheat beer is not a good sign.

I noticed a definite cardboard flavor. The beer seemed either pasteurized too much or it had oxidized.

I was dissapointed with this beer. It really seemed more like a normal run of the day lager, no fruity esters or wheat taste...I wonder how much wheat is in it, I'd venture to guess less than 50% which in my mind disqualifies it as a wheat beer. Sorry.

2.69/5  rDev -8.5%

I am somewhat unfamiliar with its supposed style and not a genuine fan of the wheat beers, but none the less I have had some. This beer was very very pale, with an almost macro taste. I did pick up on faint scents and tastes of honey but not nearly at the levels that one would anticipate. Appearance scores this beer a few points simply because the head retention is good...but that's it. The worst Leinenkugel I have had yet...worst part is I cant use the bottles for homebrew because they are twists ERRGH!

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company