Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

rAvg: 3
Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-07-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +41.7%

3.68/5  rDev +22.7%

Brought this back from my trip to Minnesota along with quite a few others from Leinenkugel's. The body to this brew is like no other, and I can't say its particularly good. Its lighter than golden and literally is almost water colored but slightly hazy. Very strange. There is a good frothy bleach white head however. The nose is mostly pale with some hints of honey to come. The mouthfeel has an edgy, pin prickly feel. There is certainly a full malt character in this offering and the honey notes are a lot more subtle than I would have suspected. In the finish, you get a nice peppery compliment to the mellowing honey character. Very average overall.

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

3/5  rDev 0%

This beer is a bit better than I expected, I was afraid it would be cloyingly sweet. The American wheat ale is not my favorite style, this is a decent enough beer though. Poured a too clear straw yellow with an ample head which reduced to a ring and some lacing. Smells clean, not much going on here taste is light, a bit of wheat, very little spice and then the honey comes through.

All in all a decent, refreshing beer, nothing more.

2.28/5  rDev -24%

This beer is not okay with me. I like a sweet beer, but this is over the top sweet for me. I really felt like i was drinking a bud lager with a couple of tablespoons of honey stirred in. I have to place the beer on the low. I hope to try a better beer from old Jacob soon. So stayed tune.

3/5  rDev 0%

A - I poured this one hard into the glass and it released a decent head, which quickly dissipated to a decent lace in a few minutes. Lots of carbonation being released. Overall the beer is clear yellow and nothing beyond that.

S - Hops, wheat and some faint (very faint) sweet smell. I assume that's the honey but it doesn't stand out as a honey smell.

T - It doesn't taste much different than a Leinie's Light with a faint sweetness. There is a noticeable difference but it doesn't standout.

M - This beer just doesn't have the complex and complete body I like in a beer. Its in no way hard to drink but the beer just doesn't seem to have all the components in it.

D - I could drink this all night, but I could say that about most beers. Its not hard to drink and it goes down rather smooth but it pales in comparison to a couple of the other beers Leinie's offers.

On a sidenote I should mention that a guide during my tour of the Leinie's brewery said there are only two drops of honey in each bottle - I can tell. Good to drink every now and then but not something I would do constantly.

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%