Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

rAvg: 3
Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-07-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -10.7%

I poured into a pint glass to an inch of white head. Faint citrus smells. I have to really stretch to get the honey. I was very disappointed in the taste. Not much going on here, very watery. I guess you could sit and drink this all day because there is no offensive taste, really no taste at all for that matter. I'll stick with the shandy.

buschbeer, Jun 07, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +3.3%

This clear golden beer poured a small inch and a half size white head that left some lacing.

The smell whats a mixture of sweet bread like with a lemon like smell

It didn't have a very strong flavor to it but i could taste some hint of malt and hops...but not any honey like taste as the name infers.

I felt that it was a medium carbinated beer that reminded me of a light beer.

It is def. a easy to drink beer that is a good change of pace from your typical american beer and when you need a break from the great german variety that I get to enjoy, however, I enjoy some of the other leinenkugel

mareth01, May 26, 2009
3.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Leinie's Honey Weiss pours with a good amount of head production, which retains well with fine lacing. The body is pale gold, and ultra clear. It reminds me of how a kristall weizen should look.

Aromas are very citrusy, with lemon being in the forefront. It actually smells more like a shandy/radler more so than a straight up wheat beer.

The taste is also very radler/shandy like with lemon being very upfront. There is only a very faint bitterness in the end.

This feels prickly with a lot of carbonation.

Altogether this is an enjoyable beer that offers not too many complexities to ponder. It's a good trade over from the BMC scene.

TheSarge, May 13, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

A- Pale straw yellow color. Thin white head. No lacing at all.

S- Grainy, wheat, slight lemony scent.

T- Watered down flavor. Light wheat, grain, banana comes through at the end. I can see why people put lemons in this. It needs some flavor!

M- Thin, watery. Decent carbonation action on the tongue.

D- Easy to drink because of how light it is. Not horrible, but not that good either.

jera1350, May 05, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Clear yellow. Served with about an inch of foamy head that actually stuck around for awhile.

S: White bread, biscuits, and a light lemon scent.

T: Mildly sweet (but not a malt sweetness), which I will assume is supposed to be the honey. Crisp malt. Lemon. Absolutely no hop character.

M: Light bodied. Heavy carbonation. Lively.

D: Very easy drinker. Really, there's just not that much going on with this beer. It's weak, very simple and non-offensive. Only slightly better than the typical American adjunct lager.

Florida9, May 04, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -20%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer poured thin, with pretty much no head. The color is a pale yellow and the beer seemed very carbonated with tons of bubbles sticking to the glass. The first smell was some what disturbing. Smelled of rotten wheat. The taste was similar to a cheap light beer. There was a little bit of hoppiness in as it hit the tongue which was the highlight but other than that very light and watery. Easy to drink, but not very enjoyable.

stogie12, Apr 22, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours a light clear yellow gold. Light white head dissipates down to a film.

Smells wheaty and dry.

Tastes the same. Good wheat flavors with clean freshness.

The mouthfeel has a good sharpness from the carbonation. Thin but not water thin.

A good wheat beer. No bitterness makes it easy to throw back a few.

Cylinsier, Apr 14, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -5.7%

A- Pours uncharacteristically clear yellow color with a thin white head that quickly fades.

S- Some malt sweetness and the slightest bit of honey scent. Tiny amount of grain and wheat.

T- Slight malt flavored sweetness with a touch of wheat. Not as much honey flavor as I expected.

M- Light and dry with a crisp finish. No lingering aftertaste. A bit watery for me.

D- Easy going beer without alot of overpowering taste. Nothing wow about it, but nothing particularly bad. Average all around.

projectflam86, Apr 13, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +1.7%

A) Golden color. Pours with a thin head then settles to creamy lacing along the outside edge. Active carbonation is visible. The body is transparent.
S) Yeasty with a mild sweet aroma, but no bold accentuated notes.
T) Wheaty with a barely noticeable honey flavor.
M) Smooth, somewhat creamy. Has a tingle on the tongue with a light body.
D) A decent wheat beer, but no unique characteristics to make it a stand out.

u2carew, Apr 10, 2009

wow. that being said....

she poured a pale gold, good clarity, with a decent white head

smelled almost skunked at the getgo because the nose was very euro lager/metallic. cereal grains and a lemon tang. not much of the wheat/yeast and honey nose i was anticipating

taste was more macro lager i think than anything. the honey and wheat flavors are faint. still it's never too sweet or cloying which is good. finish had the sour but pleasant wheat characteristics

body was thin for the most part. feel was crisp and slick. quite a bit of carbonation.

pretty uninteresting beer. easy to drink and probably refreshing if it were warmer out. however better for getting hammered than savoring

climax, Apr 02, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +58.3%

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss is a wheat beer made by Leinenkugel's Brewing Company in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. It's availabe mainly throughout the midwest US. It is one of my favorite three or four beers.

It's a fairly typical wheat beer, with a touch of a honey taste, however the honey taste isn't at all overpowering. The closest beer I can compare it with is Dundee's Honey Brown. It's typically served with a lemon slice, which I actually prefer not to have. It's remarkably refreshing during the summer, and smoothly satisfying even in the coldest of winter.

This is what I call a "gateway beer". So many people in the US are die hard Bud Light or Miller Light or <insert crappy mass produced American lager name here> fans, this is the beer I typically give these people to get them exposed to a different style of beer. This is the beer that woke me up to a whole new beer culture, and I am grateful for it.

Leinenkugel's also has a wide variety of other beers in their lineup, and most of them are good as well. In my opinion, Leinenkugel's has the best batch of variety beers (Sam Adams being a close second). To the people in Leinie country, I say thank you, and keep on brewing. To the people who have never tried a Leinie's, I say what are you waiting for? Drink up!

Strand, Mar 11, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -12.3%

I am somewhat unfamiliar with its supposed style and not a genuine fan of the wheat beers, but none the less I have had some. This beer was very very pale, with an almost macro taste. I did pick up on faint scents and tastes of honey but not nearly at the levels that one would anticipate. Appearance scores this beer a few points simply because the head retention is good...but that's it. The worst Leinenkugel I have had yet...worst part is I cant use the bottles for homebrew because they are twists ERRGH!

Boater86, Feb 25, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a light gold out of the bottle and has a slight foamy head and semi bubbly. It has a moderately strong wheat smell to it.

The honey wheat taste definitely comes through. But the big drawback for me was that it left a pasty aftertaste. Worth a shot, but not a big fan.

Amalak, Feb 25, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a pint.

A: Bright but thin straw color. Medium carbonation pours into a slight white bubbly head which quickly dissipates leaving a smattering of bubbles on the surface. Pretty substantial carbonation continues to rise throughout. No real lacing.

S: A little malt, wheat, yeast, prominent lemon, and a touch of honey.

T: Wheat and yeast. Hoppy and lemony.

M: Light body, sharp, and a bit of a metallic aftertaste.

D: Light body, refreshing body with a decent flavor make for good drinkability.

Decent atmosphere. A nice distinctive nose. Flavor is decent, but the honey (as the name suggests) doesn't really come out in the flavor. Feel is okay. When it's all said and done, a solid quaff.

bmwats, Feb 18, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +11%

Picked this up in Totowa recently - not sure exactly why, but it was available as a single bottle and I wanted a change from what I've been having lately. This is a pretty average beer in all regards, but I wasn't expecting much of anything from this either. It's not summer out, but I can easily see myself having one of these on a nice weekend afternoon!

This had an average pour to it - clean, crisp, and strongly resembling a pils. There wasn't a lot of carbonation with this beer and the same could be said for the head and lacing. The taste is pretty malty with some bread and honey tossed in for good measure. The only resemblance of hops is in the back, and even so, it's pretty faint. I'd also say there's a bit of grass and straw in this, but by no means is this a rye beer.

The 4.90% ABV can hardly be felt here and this has "session beer" written all over it. Sure, I like my beers complex, but once in a while, it's good to veg out and have something without thinking about it. Now where did summer go?!?!??

JerzDevl2000, Feb 16, 2009
3.08/5  rDev +2.7%

The more opportunities I've had to pour myself a glass of HoneyWeiss, the more I've liked it. The first time, was not a great experience, but some family had given me a 12 pack. Slowly but surely over the next couple of weeks, I found myself enjoying the subtle tastes of a good wheat beer beneath the initially sweet honey.

Like many of Leinenkugel's flavors, this is a great stepping stone brew. From here, I am excited to try some of the Mead beers that are out there.

ChrisQ, Feb 13, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -10%

Pours a fizzy light yellow with a little frothy head that diminishes quickly. Pours like most macro beers.

Aroma was very faint. There wasn't much honey. It was much drier than I expected. Not much body either. Carbonation isn't as rough as some macros, so i guess that's a plus. So if you like the high attenuated dry macro type, This is an easy drinker. I just hoped for more flavor and body.

gonzo46and2, Feb 11, 2009
3/5  rDev 0%

Pours light pale yellow with foamy head...not a particularly attractive beer

Surprisingly attractive sweet spicey nose with nice wheat undertomes

Sweet and lite with a hint of sour. Not on overly discernable weis flavor

A little fizzy, but not a bad light refreshing beer.

Grandwazoo, Feb 01, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +1.7%

Not too far from expectation, but not exactly on target either. The honey is there but more difficult to detect than I would have liked. Light flavors of wheat and a little sweetness. Very light head of foam that dissipates quickly with minimal lacing. It's a little more watery than I would have liked, but otherwise okay.

Brenden, Jan 26, 2009
3/5  rDev 0%

I know there's a difference between pale ale and India Pale Ale, but for regular pale ale I'd rather have a Sierra Nevada, also I couldn't detect the honey, should I have another? It was worth a try, but I was a bit disappointed. Good thing I got a deal on the stuff ..

marc956, Jan 25, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -4%

This beer poured an orangish yellow with a two-finger head. The smell is faint but sweet, with a little honey and grain. The taste starts off with some corn-tasting sweetness that gives way to honey, reminds me of a standard American lager with some honey in the bottle. The mouthfeel is watery with some fine carbonation. This is a pretty drinkable beer, but really not what I expected from the label.

TheTrevor, Jan 24, 2009
2.23/5  rDev -25.7%

12 oz bottle out of a six pack my buddy bought out of curiousity. Served up in a DFH shaped pint.

A: Poured a very pale, incredibly pale yellow. Very macro yellow. Incredibly macro yellow. The head was about a finger but it went away as quick as I poured it. No lace. Nothing. Lame.

S: Smell is a lot of corn presence. If it is a plus, the corn smells fresh and sweet. There is a slight honey scent, but it is incredibly faint. This smells like your basic lager.

T: Taste is very much of a pale lager. Lots of corn and grassy hops. The honey is very light and I suppose it sweetens this up a little. The beer is totally of a pale lager macro.

M: Light bodied brew with a very high carbonation. The carbonation makes this incredibly crisp and refreshing. The high point of this beer is that it is so easy to drink. No ABV going on here.

D: This beer is simple and a bit of a let down. If that is your thing, this the beer for you. Personally, if I want a macro, I'll buy a 12 pack of High Life for the price of this six pack. Flavors, look and smells are all basic and kind of crappy. This doesn't stand up the the style at all IMO. Not a fan, but hey, at least it doesn't have the crazy fruity pebbles flavor the Berry Weiss and Sunset Wheat had.

everetends, Jan 18, 2009
3/5  rDev 0%

Pours a pale yellow slight hazy and no head, someone had thrown a piece of lemon in it. I cannot get my head around why, I tried to pull it out straight away but the beer tasted of lemon afterwards anyway. No real aroma, slight sweet and corn. Honey? Not in my flavour, almost no flavour but the lemon and a bit of wheat notes, rather watery.

kmeves, Jan 14, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance: Straw/gold color, small head, very little in terms of retention

Aroma: Mild, and at most..honey and grain.

Taste: Some grains, and sweetness from the honey...but overall it is pretty mild...I guess mild would be the nicer way of saying "bland", which is what I am leaning towards. Its not bad, but I'm not that impressed by it.

Mouthfeel: Light and carbonated..so it is "crisp" in some sense, but otherwise, nothing too special.

Drinkability: Taste is fairly unoffensive, and the mouthfeel is average, so this is good for this. I wouldn't have a huge problem with a couple of these, its just that I can get much better beers of the same style. Nothing special

kshankar, Jan 13, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -25%

Pours a nice straw color with a bit of head, although no lacing and no floaties. Taste and aroma were like lemon dusting spray. Couldn't finish it, but had to pour it out. It was pretty horrible. I went down fine, but that's second to the taste. I couldn't even get the honey flavor from it.

JamesS, Jan 10, 2009