Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

rAvg: 3
Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-07-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Alström Bros
2.28/5  rDev -24%

Drank a ton of this back in the day, had another recently to confirm my thoughts. Meh. Good clarity, lots of carbonation. Smell was of nutrisweet and sawdust.

Taste, like diet tea, toffee, nutrisweet. One of my least favotite offerings from Leinies, and I subscribe to the thought process of Leinie Red = Leinie Feet.

Can't believe this stuff is going for $7+ a 6er now, not worth it at even half that price.

2.28/5  rDev -24%

This beer is not okay with me. I like a sweet beer, but this is over the top sweet for me. I really felt like i was drinking a bud lager with a couple of tablespoons of honey stirred in. I have to place the beer on the low. I hope to try a better beer from old Jacob soon. So stayed tune.

2.28/5  rDev -24%

A: pours a champagne yellow with a thin head and very little lacing.

S: I can smell the honey with a blend of what I think is wheat. Smells crisp but not too much going for it on the nose.

T: A very lite bready biscuit flavor but absolutely no honey in the taste. Overall it has a very lite thin flavor.

M: light to medium body with very little carbonation.

D: There is not enough flavor in this beer an will quickly become a session beer in the hot sun in my book.

2.25/5  rDev -25%

A: Transparent pale yellow with a half inch white head made of fine bubbles. The head vanishes to a fine layer on the top after a very short time. There is visible carbonation throughout.

S: Smells of wheat beer and clover honey.

T: Very wheaty taste. Honey is very slight on the after taste. Has almost a tart sensation to it.

M: Feels watery and lightly carbonated.

D: Although drinkable, not something I'd buy a full case of. I have six bottles from their Adventure Sampler and that's plenty for me.

2.25/5  rDev -25%

This 12 ounce can of Honey Weiss came from a Summer Sampler 12-Pack. What a novel idea. "Best" by June 27, 2011. I cracked the can open and poured into a weizen glass. A moderate pour yields a finger of white head that remains in a temporary state of renewal from the very active carbonation visible through the glass. This must be filtered because it is crystal clear. Once the initial blast of carbonation dies down the head quickly follows. Lacing is non-existent. The beer itself is golden hued.

The aroma gives the impression of an adjunct lager, but I could find no information on the Leinenkugel website as to whether this is a lager or an ale. I'm not really picking up any wheat in the nose, but I am picking up a distinct sweet corn aroma, which may actually be the "real Wisconsin honey" that the label claims this is brewed with. The scent is suspiciously similar to PBR.

The flavor is also very reminiscent of adjunct lager. It is very watery. One sided graininess hits with a short burst of sweetness that quickly drops off, leaving a mild bitterness to fill the vacuum. It might be hops or it might be a bite from the high level of carbonation in the beer. I'm guessing it's the latter. Where's the wheat?

This is a very light bodied brew. The high level of carbonation adds an unpleasant effervescence that detracts from the taste and feel of the beer. Otherwise it's quite watery, and so I guess you could call it easy drinking. Though it's not a particularly expensive brew it is still a bit pricy for its quality level. 4.8% alcohol is hidden and is not going to lay you out anyway. For my money however, I'd go with the similar and much cheaper Pabst Blue Ribbon; but to each his own.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale (reference my profile for an explanation)
I do not give a Schlitz for Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss.

2.25/5  rDev -25%

When I poured it into a glass, the head disappeared right away.

The color is bright gold and translucent, you can see straight through it. It has a mildly sweet smell, almost floral.

At first taste, it is very watery, with almost no flavor. I can't detect any malt or hops. At least it is very thirst-quenching.

After about half of the glass, the flavor develops a bit more. The honey is more noticeable, with a hint of lemon. I suppose it would be an okay session beer, but it doesn't taste good enough to be worth it. It barely differs from the standard American macrobrews.

more honey beers. jeez.

the beer pours a slightly dark yellow, and a creamy white head that all but disappears within a minute of pouring.

musty, grainy aroma. the honey smells are very muted and a faint whiff of dirt accompanies it all.

flavor is very sour right up front, with all the qualities of a bad adjunct-influenced beer, not saying there are adjuncts in this one, it just tastes that way. grainy, bready but not yeasty, like a sourdough..no honey in the flavor and little sweetness. mild bitterness from hops on the middle save it from being very bad.

light and crisp on the tongue. kind of dry.

drinkable? not in my mind. the flavor is pungently underwhelming, and sour to boot. combine to that the lack of decent other qualities, and this becomes one wasteful soul short of a drain pour.

2.25/5  rDev -25%

Pours a nice straw color with a bit of head, although no lacing and no floaties. Taste and aroma were like lemon dusting spray. Couldn't finish it, but had to pour it out. It was pretty horrible. I went down fine, but that's second to the taste. I couldn't even get the honey flavor from it.

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company