Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

rAvg: 3
Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-07-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +29.3%

Purchased as a variety pack at Beer Zoo in Harrisburg, PA.

A-Clear yet a little hazy

S-honey and wheat

T-was very tasty in that it had that hint of honey that made the pale ale tolerable (for me anyways)

D- I would def recommend a six pack to sit back and enjoy for the games.

Overall i liked the beer even though i am not a Pale Ale lover.

2.68/5  rDev -10.7%

There's nothing particularly offensive about this beer, though nothing remarkable either. For the most part, it's just a sweeter tasting wheat beer. It's the kind of beer you'd describe to your friends as "having a great personality."

Looked mostly golden in my glass. Smell was sweet but not too strong. Taste was similar. I didn't really notice any honey flavors, just some sweeter tastes. Not much fruit taste in this either.

It was okay, I'd drink it again. But I probably won't go out and buy it myself.

2.38/5  rDev -20.7%

12oz from the "these beers probably should have been drank by now basement cooler".. A couple of these were brought back to Boise by coworkers who spent some time in Minnesota earlier this year... this is my last one.

Pours very clear very light straw color.. short head and minimal lacing.

Smells sweet with some honey remnants.. I am not even picking out pale malts let alone hops... not my cup of tea, although the honey would probably be better in a cup of green tea.

Sweet.. maybe a little citrus mid palate.. finishes slightly sweet with some lingering honey flavors and a touch of yeasty fruitiness... very one dimensional... body is very light and carbonation is very high.. just Okay at absolute best... unpleasant sour as it warms... no malts to speak of.

I really didn't like this one the first time and like it less this time around... If it was available in Boise, I would buy a few and try to turn my macro drinking coworkers and then chastise them for ever liking it.

2.98/5  rDev -0.7%

From a 12 oz bottle with no discernable freshness dating. Into my Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!), it’s a handsome pale golden color with plenty of precipitating carbonation. One finger of tight white lacing fades at a moderate pace down to a thin cap and collar with nothing on the glass. Nose is vaguely wheaty; not picking up a lot of honey, just lightly sweet malt. A bit grassy. On the tongue, again no real honey flavor, just faint suggestions. At least it’s not cloyingly sweet. Definite mild wheat flavor, but fairly middle-of-the road. Nothing to really grab you. Light and dry for sure. No real hops bitterness. Clean, dry finish. Mouth is crisp and clean with plenty of tingly carbonation. Drinkability is good; it’s light and clean, but not a whole lot to bring me back. Won’t buy another sixer.

Overall: Very middle-of-the-road.

2.73/5  rDev -9%

I expected more out of this one--I should have read the reviews here first. Slight honey aroma. Pours very clear and pale yellow with a diminishing white head. Flavor is very light with nothing that stands out. I don't get any sweetness or honey flavor--it is pretty much flavorless with a light mouthfeel. Very dry with no aftertaste. This beer is easy to drink, but not something I'm going to buy again.

3.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours crystal clear with a firm gold color. Minimal head and minimal lacing. Smell is mild with just a tiny bit of sweetness, most likely from the honey. Taste is definitely honey influenced, but not that much in the grand scheme of things. Overall it seems like a typical beer that just got a shot in the arm with the honey. I have never had a wheat brew that was this light before. Something to try once, but nothing worth running to the end of the Earth for.

2.65/5  rDev -11.7%

Leinie’s Honey Weiss is what it is, an average American wheat beer. Everything about it is pretty unimpressive. The main thing I can say to its credit is that the honey aspect is nicely done. It’s not at all a cloying, sugary honey flavor. The beer is very light gold/yellow in appearance, without much head to speak of. It’s fairly smooth tasting, with grass being the prevalent flavor on my tongue. A good yard beer.

Even though i wasn't expecting much from this beer, i was still disappointed. Bought this for the GF and had a smell and a couple sips. Yuck. Never again.

Very clear golden color, disturbingly clear and gold, much like an american macro (or piss). White head disappears to a very thin collar and leaves no lacing. Smell is pretty close to a macro, too, with something else, maybe green apples. Not really much honey there, i don't know if it would have helped, though. Nothing interesting in there. Taste is very similar. I don't think i will ever have this beer again, even if the GF wants a couple more bottles. Truly not a good beer, well below average.

2.85/5  rDev -5%

It’s a nice golden color and is very clear; it has some mild carbonation and a good thick head that thins out and has a little lacing to it. It smelled a little sweet and I could barley pick up on the wheat in it, it just wasn’t very big on aroma. It has a smooth semi-crisp sweet flavor and is a little bit bitter with a fairly light mouth feel. The aftertaste certainly brings out the bitterness in it, but it’s not overwhelming.

3.05/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours out a clear golden straw with a small foamy white head that drops to a very thin layer on top. It has a nice color, but i wanted at least a little amount of yeastyness and more head

Smell. Sweet smell, I'm guessing from the honey, but it also has a lager characteristic to it that reminds me of a sweet lager.

Taste. Again, sweet. The wheat flavors come through with a crispness, while the honey flavor seems to give a little bit of body in the taste.

Mouthfeel. One of the more fuller american wheat beers ive had. Carbonation is quite high and peppery in my mouth.

Overall, a quaffable beer, but not one i would want much of.

3.43/5  rDev +14.3%

A - Poured a clear golden color with a thin white head

S - Some hops and a little honey

T - Sweet malts with some honey some hops

M - Theres a lot of carbonation in here

D - Its a step above a macro but not buy much I'd rather drink this than BMC

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a macro-lager-looking yellow with little head that dissipated very quickly. Aroma was weak with a bit of skunk to it. This tastes nothing like a wheat ale to me. Slight hint of honey in the taste, but the flavor is weak. Not offensive by any means, just a little weak for my tastes. I would not seek this out.

i was excited to see this for sale in philadelphia in a variety pack since i can only get the sunset wheat in new york . well the honey weisse was a big disappointment i mean big . there was nothing to this beer i think id even drink a rolling rock over this im just wondering if i got some bad ones because the red lager and sunset wheats in the pack were very nice . p.s the other beer in the pack was the creamy dark not that good either

1.95/5  rDev -35%

I am not very big on this beer. Tried it several times, and its actually never been very bad, but its also never been good. The idea that they even include honey, or weiss, in the name of this one is beyond me, as it doesnt seem to include either. Just a plain, run of the mill, macro lager for all I'm concerned.

3.88/5  rDev +29.3%

a-golden clear, little shadow, little head when pouring, looks like a regular light beer, but more golden yellow

s-the smell has a hint of honey

t-nice crisp taste with a hint of honey, the honey is not overpowering like berryweiss

m-very enjoyable smooth,

d-one of my favorite light beers, like i stated above the honey is very light and can easily drink a few of these beers

2.78/5  rDev -7.3%

Pale colored beer with an almost non-existent aroma.Taste is water with a faint hint of honey although no sweetness is detected.I can't slam this beer because although it's tasteless it is by no means repulsive.You can get the same taste from a ice cold coors light for half the price.

3.38/5  rDev +12.7%

This beer is probably my least favorite of Leinenkugel's main offerings. Smell is not very strong, and not very distinct. This is refreshing, but fairly basic. I can taste a hint of honey towards the end. Mouthfeel is a bit weak, though I have to say given the very dense taste of the Blue Moon honey beer I had recently, maybe it is better to err on the side of less-dense rather than more dense for a honey-laden beer. Overall, though I'm a Leinie's fan, this is not particularly special.

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%

Beer was poured from a 12 ounce bottle at approximately 46º with a date of 11057. The beer poured with a nice thick head which dissipated in a couple of minutes. Coloring was clear and pale gold. There was no cloudiness as could be expected for most weiss beers.

There were slight hints of malt and maybe some honey but I was unable to detect much else.

The taste was pretty straightforward without noticeable malt or honey. I also failed to sense the crispness that I was anticipating nor did any sweetness jump out at me.

This beer was very acceptable in the mouth. There were no off tastes or anything that would cause you to spit it out rather than swallow.

Overall this is another ok beer from Leinenkugel. The crispness and thirst quenching qualities would probably be better served at a cooler temperature.

2.35/5  rDev -21.7%

A: A clear yellow/gold with a small white head that fades fast. Almost no lace on the glass, and lots of bubbles rising to the top.
S: Light malt and hops, faint smell of sweet honey and citrus.
T: sweet malt with notes of honey and a bit of hops. Sweet and crisp. Carbonation is present and tastes like champagne to me.
D: To much carbonation. About as drinkable as a macro beer.

Again, I wish Texas could get some of Leiny's good beers (like Creamy Dark). As it is, I like this better than the Sunset Wheat, but that is not saying much. I can make out an odd distinct champagne like sweetness and carbonation for some reason, and it is a turn off for me.

3.4/5  rDev +13.3%

Don't know what to say. I was pretty excited about trying this delicious Wisconsin brew, but was a bit disappointed. Nice color with nice head, but the smells are of a regular plain hoppy ale or even a lager. Tastes have hints of honey and sweet malts, but not a lot. Mainly hops and a milky taste, but nothing too spectacular. Oddly enough I agree with many reviews when they say it reminds me a macro, because the honey and sweetness is not present enough to say that this is a wonderful craft ale. Overall, Wisconsin has much better brews to offer, don't settle for this rather plain one.

3.38/5  rDev +12.7%

pours a crystal clear straw color with a few fingers of tight white head after a hard pour.

smell is sweet, with pale malts and some mild hops. corn is detectable in the smell, which pushes the smell off-balance a bit. the honey is only distant in the smell, not providing much sweetness.

taste is malty and sweet up front, with wheat and citrus being the focus. notes of honey, yeast, and mild grassy hops. the taste is much more balanced than the smell; sweeter and more refreshing.

mouthfeel is medium-light bodied, slick and creamy. very smooth liquid.

drinkability is great. there isn't much here to lower drinkability; this is a light brew without any bold or excessive flavors. mild and refreshing, which is just what it is trying to be.

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss pours a golden yellow with a thin white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma reminds me of honey and cheap lager. I guess there is what you could call honey sweetness in the flavor. It also has a cheap lager type flavor to it. I'm not impressed.

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%

It looks a little better than it is, pale yellow, some white head, a lot less than you expect for the style.
Aroma is just not there, minimal, and I am not sure what it is. A little alcohol, maybe some bread, but I am forcing the issue.
Thin on the mouth, minor hints of clove and perhaps banana, but I am really looking hard to find something here.
Easy to drink, but why bother...

3.35/5  rDev +11.7%

I have heard this beer be compared to Blue Moon Honey Wheat a lot so when I saw it in there summer sampler. I thought well I had never tried any of Leinekugel’s beers it was high time that I did.

Appearance- It poured a translucent yellow with a an average sized clean white head.

Smell- It smelled of sweet malt. I think honey always brings out the malt. It had a little but not much of the fruity bouquet that is often affiliated with a wheat beer too.

Taste- Mildly fruity esters as a wheat beer should. Followed by a sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel. In about the average range nothing spectacular.

Drinkability- I would drink it again.

3.45/5  rDev +15%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass, no freshness date.

A: Pours a clean and clear yellow with a pure white head that fades rather quickly into a ring, good active carbonation but that's about it. No lacing. Overall, meh.

S: The honey is there but rather faint, smells like a flat Blue Moon and rather skunky for a wheat beer, maybe this one's a bit old, oh well.

T/MF: Light bodied and crisp again with a faint honey tinge as to be expected, yeasty and crackery and some strange vegetable flavors, corn and something else, finishes a bit slick and sort of bitter on the tongue.

D: I can't believe I used to like these, we all grow up I suppose but if I were going to drink a Leine I'd stick with a red.

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company