Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Honey WeissLeinenkugel's Honey Weiss

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-07-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev +23.1%

Is this really a wheat beer? Don't think so. When poured in the glass this brew virtually had no head. Taste like a macro style pilsner. It goes down good, and taste great ice cold on a hot Kansas summer day, however, I don't think this will be a brew that visits the ol fridgo very often.

adamboeckman, Aug 04, 2004
2.65/5  rDev -11.4%

The beer initially pours a pale, clear, straw gold. I swirl the bottle to release the yeast sediment, but unfortunately there is none. A very thick, attractive white head billows up, sticking around for a while before settling into a short, even coating. Sticky streaks of lace cling to the glass. Very good head retention, but I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of haziness.
The aroma is fairly one dimensional. An airy wheat maltiness balances present herbal/citric hoppng. A mild, muddy honey feel to the malt, with slight lemony fruitiness.
The flavor starts with a mild, sweetish, honey tinged wheatiness. Very airy. A touch of lemon creeps into the middle, possibly some dryish banana and walnut receding into the finish. A mild citric and herbal hopping lies beneath a honey sweetness. Fairly dry in the end, with a lingering nutty, wheaty aftertaste. Moderate, sturdy carbonation supporting a light body. A flighty, ephemeral mouthfeel.
Nothing I'd go out and buy, but it sure beats a bottle of Bud. Really boring. The label is nice, with that old-time sort of look. Nothing like what I'd call a weissbier, but it's an ok beer for after a long day of work. Thanks to oldcrustacean for the bottle.

UnionMade, Jul 22, 2004
2.53/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My first Leinenkugel, courtesy of my next door neighbor whose old friend from Wisconsin brought some of these by. Pours a clear, very light yellow body with a smallish white head that drops immediately. No lacing. Aroma is sweet clover honey and some sweet malt. No hop presence here. Mouthfeel is light bodied and low on carbonation. Carbonation could have been affected by the long journey in a car trunk. The taste is sweet. Malty sweet, honey sweet, and some wheat grain in the background. Again, no hop presence. Drinkability suffers from the sweetness, which is almost one dimensional. Not a Weiss that I would care to have again.

merlin48, Jul 14, 2004
2.88/5  rDev -3.7%

This is an extremely light and clear yellow liquid. The head is white and initially large, but quickly fades into nothingness. The aroma is faint, but it’s got a little citrus-like wheat character and a touch of honey. Not much else. It’s heavily carbonated, and has a very light mouthfeel. There’s a bit of grain and a moderate maltiness. All in all, this is a little too sweet for me. I hope for a wheat beer to be refreshing, but this one seems to finish with too much of a sugary, honey-like sensation. It’s drinkable, but nothing special.

Suds, Jul 10, 2004
1.88/5  rDev -37.1%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into a Hoegaarden tumbler.

Appearance: Pale yellow, nearly straw in color. The beer pours with a very wimpy head which subsides to nothing in literally a matter of seconds.

Aroma: Cheap, generic ale-like aroma that is almost overpowered by a sickly-sweet, artificial, vaguely honey-like character. I think Bud might even smell better than this swill.

Taste: This tastes more like a lager than an ale. It bascially tastes like a honey lager. Very little wheat beer characteristics, if any, are noticed.

Overall: Wow! What a crappy beer. This is one of the worst micro/craft brews I've ever had. I had a stomach ache after just three of these. I will never buy this beer again, and I urge you to save yourself from the bad beer blues that this crap induces. This beer is subpar in every aspect - gross, to say the least.

TagoMago, Jul 03, 2004
2.38/5  rDev -20.4%

Made a recent family journey to Flint Michigan and our first stop was at a Rite-Aid for a candy bar. Lo and behold on the floor was a 12 pack on sale of Leinenkugel Honey Weiss. My curiosity overtook me. I have never ever had a Leinenkugel product and was quite excited at the prospect. Now "Rite Aid" and "on sale" should have clued me in, but I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Poured to a very pale yellow almost like grapefruit juice, with liitle to no head to speak of. I'm no chemist, but honey+wheat do not equal skunky (normally). The merit of this beer is its longevity. Tasted exactly the same (maybe even better) when room temperature was achieved. Macro brewing personified. Lifeless and redundant.

beckerboots, May 27, 2004
1.63/5  rDev -45.5%

I'm usually able to appreciate Leine's ability to make somewhat different pseudo-micro stuff, but this was a disappointment from the get-go. First, It poured CLEAR yellow, with little white, foamy head. Not at all what a wheat beer is "supposed" to be. Very sour, sickly sweet smell, not at all endearing. Tastes vaguely like honey, but overall, more like a honey lager, and not a honey wheat. Mouthfeel is almost greasy, coating the tongue and throat, not enjoyable and definitely making this a one time beer.

nortmand, May 25, 2004

The appearance of this beer is a light golden color with little head. It had a faint hop smell, and a slightly sweet taste with a hint of a hop taste. There was a smooth mouthfeel, but overall it is not an impressive brew. Though when there is limited choice, or your low on cash not a bad brew to have by far.

Juggernaut, Apr 02, 2004
2.75/5  rDev -8%

Draught: This beer is a pale yellow color. I was expecting a large white fluffy head, but didn't get it. The aroma is somewhat non-descript. Some hints of sweetness, most likely from the honey. The taste is basically a little sweet, with a thinner body. Hops? I really didn't get any, but then again I've been drinking a lot of Imperial IPA's lately. Suprisingly, the beer was fairly satisfying: good for a hot day of drinking for no special reason.

Boto, Mar 28, 2004

Pours a deep yellow with not much head to speak of,aroma is a little skunky with some fruity malt undertones but a rather unpleasant.Taste is real grainy with some fruity flavors with a biscuity malt flavors in the finish.Not as bad as I thought it would be it was given to me so I didnt have to pay for it so not a bad deal I guess.

oberon, Mar 22, 2004
1.8/5  rDev -39.8%

It's a good thing they told me on the bottle that this was a honey weiss, otherwise I'd swear this is a pilsner. Picked this up on a trip to the midwest, hoping to soak in local color for a bit. Imagine my dissapointment. It comes out a perfectly clear golden color, smells a bit like a bottle of Miller, and tastes..

Not even really sure what to say about the taste. Starts off a bit sweet, which I'd like to think is due to some honey somewhere, even if it just tastes like sugar. Then it finishes sour. A mediocre, unhoppy sour.

You can do better than this. Feel free to avoid it.

SetarconeX, Mar 11, 2004
2.93/5  rDev -2%

Appearance:
Looks nothing like a wheat... more like a Bud. Completely clear golden color. Head fades quickly. Looks like a normal macro beer.

Smell:
Sweet grain and that's about it. Other than that it smells like Bud.

Taste:
Sweet grains and honey. Tastes better than it looks or smells. Finish is grainy... kinda like a Bud. This beer really should be called a wheat!

Mouthfeel:
Light and crisp in mouth. Carbonation feels on tounge.

Drinkability:
This is a very plain and easy to drink beer. Flavor isn't bad but it really doesn't seem like a wheat at all. Easy going down.

jsolack, Mar 09, 2004
2.98/5  rDev -0.3%

Out of the larger brewers that are available in my neck of the woods and widely distrubed to bars/restaurants Leinenkugel's would likely be my choice if there are not any decent micros to choose from.

The beer is a yellow brew that formed a decent head of foam. There was a taint smell of honey that reminds me a little bit like white toast.

The taste is above average for what I have sampled of the macro breweries. I could taste the malt/wheat, but the honey never really rears its head in this brew. Even if I warmed it up a bit, it wasn't there.

The mouthfeel of this beer is rather thin, but I think they carbonate this beer a little too much which tends to fill you up fast. Not a bad beer overall.

lampkins, Mar 03, 2004
2.2/5  rDev -26.4%

I'm reminded of a Jerry Seinfeld bit about Grapenuts cereal. Jerry says: "What's the deal with Grapenuts? No grapes, no nuts!" Well allow me to ask "What's the deal with Leiny's Honey Weiss? No honey, no wheat!"

Sure, Honey Weiss pours a nice golden yellow. It has a sparkling white head that quickly disappears. But there's not much flavor or aroma to write about. What little taste there is certainly isn't offensive, but it's not what you'd expect from something called Honey Weiss.

If you don't want to be seen with a Budweiser or a Miller in hand and want to put on a "microbrew" facade, then perhaps this is the pale yellow beer for you. If you want real honey and wheat characteristics, look elsewhere.

kwalters, Feb 17, 2004
2.58/5  rDev -13.7%

A rather dull, bright off-yellow hue, no carbonation, no head, very little action coming from this beverage. Somewhat of a wheaty aroma, faint at that. Just a touch on the creamy side, some wheat flavoring most noticeable in this character-lacking brew. Some sweetness, little to no hop presence, or malt presence for that matter. A grassy palate, nil honey detection. Could quench or refresh on a mild to warm day, but extremely masked flavorings, the honey and the weiss should be removed from the label as they do not exist in this line. A bland offering from a bland line of beers.

GeoffRizzo, Feb 07, 2004
2.75/5  rDev -8%

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is not that bad. It has a slight weisen scent, but it seems a bit watery. There also seems to be a small light honey aroma as well. The taste is awful. It is quite watery and skunky with a small honey flavor. I don't taste much wheat here, but I guess it must have some. The mouthfeel is above average. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This beer drinks average. It is a terrible weisen. It's one and done for me.

WesWes, Feb 04, 2004
2.5/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was expecting something with flavors of honey and perhaps wheat when I opened this; instead I got something resembling a slightly-less-adjuncty Molson Canadian.

Aroma is of fruit and chewy honey cough drops. Poured like a true fizzy yellow beer, with a wisp of foam and a pale golden body.

Taste: macro lager with perhaps a hint of wheat instead of corn. The website proudly proclaims "John prefers it over ice, with a slice of lemon or lime". I don't know who John is, but assuming he works at the brewery and is trumpeting about two beer sins, I'm a bit leery. There's really nothing else to say about this beer's flavor...light, non-descript, bland american macro lager.

The High Falls Brewery of Wisconsin?

shirfan, Jan 24, 2004
2.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Pale honey-straw body with a small fizzy head. Faint cereal smells, maybe a hop or two. Taste is slightly sweet. Maybe some adjuncts in here... Honey? Well, perhaps, but it's not much different than Grain Belt's sweetness. Finish is short, but quenching, with a crisp wheat tang. I've had better glasses of this on tap, and it's sometimes the best choice among local bars in MN, especially in the summer.

alexgash, Jan 20, 2004
1.63/5  rDev -45.5%

Extremely pale straw yellow. My experience is still on the limited side, but I don't think I've seen a beer this pale before. The head is bright white, almost the color of cotton, is short-lived and leaves negligible lace.

The nose is honeyish and somewhat sweet. I also smell an underlying unpleasantness that I'll call 'musty' for want of a better term. Looks like the flavor could be in trouble.

Wow, it's even worse than anticipated. LHW actually tastes like a macro. It's sort of stale and sour with an unpleasant bitterness that tweaks my tongue and makes it beg for good beer. Sweetness is noted, but it sure doesn't taste like honey. The mouthfeel is abysmally thin and watery.

It can't be that hard to brew decent beer, can it? Give Honey Weiss a wide berth.

BuckeyeNation, Jan 14, 2004

Nothing like what I expected. I didn't expect it to have a real wheat taste (which it didn't) , but I figured that it would be very light and very sweet and maybe actually taste like honey. What I found was an easy drinking bland pilsner.

huh!?

It's really not horrible. there's very little to be offended by. has a slight sweetness in the aftertaste that's alright, but no honey. very little other flavor, medium-light body. This would be a good choice for people who drink a lot of miller light.

jwilli7122, Jan 13, 2004
1.68/5  rDev -43.8%

Appearance: Yellow. About all I can say.
Smell: Expected honey or other scent of a typical wheat beer, but got nothing.
Taste: Slightly sweet, with a hint of honey, like it was added as an afterthought. They brewed this an went "Oh yeah, we got to add the honey." Then just added it to the mix.
Mouthfeel: Slightly flat, with no aftertaste (thankfully).
Drinkability: Not a wheat beer. Won't have this again.

Final Thoughts: Not what I expected. Definitely worse...but don't even get me started on the Berry Weiss.

BigRedN, Jan 02, 2004
1.98/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

If you reside on either coasts, far from the radius of Leinie's distribution, you probably have no idea how hugely popular this beer is, especially up around here. So obiquitous it is, I was once amused to discover a popular gay nightclub in downtown Mineapolis with a sign on the outside, on the main street, declaring "now serving Leinenkugel's Honey Wiess on tap!" Were there really people stopping before entering it's doors and saying," naw, let's skip this gay bar, no Honey Weiss!"
So let's revisit it, already, for the first time in years...
Color, a bright, shiny, utterly transparent bright yellow color, topped with a big, snow-white, fluffy head. Certainly not the "hefe" sort of "Weisen", for there's no haze at all.
Aroma: practically none, containing that usual Leinie's stink, sorry. Bit of a pilsner feel to it, but nothing like I'd expect from any wheat beer, certainly showing no traces of the "real Wisconsin honey" boasted of on the label. Appears a bit sweetish after all, though, but I still don't like it a bit.
Taste: flat, ...uneventful, lacking in malt and hops and anything pleasurable, yielding no texture and very little flavor. The honey does seem to peep up a tad, but any association you may conjure from a weizen of any kind does not abide here at all.
Now, tasting it bare naked, I know why so many prefer it with a lemon. And, now that I have one again, I understand how the customers at my bar felt when I offered them a real weizen instead, and they didn't like them at all. They don't like real weizens, and they probably don't really like beer at all.
This is so carbonated, yet flat in flavor, it's more like a soda pop, than an actual beer. Drinkability might be considered high, if the flavor and mouthfeel weren't so abysmal.
Rotten, really, but girls think it's tops. And girly guys.
Gets sour as it ends. Yuk.
Skip this, let my the sacrifice of my tastebuds not be in vain.

feloniousmonk, Dec 21, 2003

Serving: 23-oz. "Brewtus" serving at Applebee's, Rochester, MN

Appearance: Bright amber color, thin, white lace (the head had already dissipated by the time it reached the table) that hung around for a while. Pretty good looking.

Smell: Nondescript; the smell of honey barely appears.

Taste: Thin honey taste with few other real flavor components. The taste isn't really enough to distinguish it; slight (very slight) bitter notes became apparent as the beer warmed up.

Mouthfeel: Am I drinking water? I don't know.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, crisp and clean with little aftertaste, but the other factors are unimpressive.

Overall: Leinie's is something I'd drink if the only other choices were macros, but given a choice, I'll stick with one of my more usual brews.

iceberg3k, Dec 21, 2003
2.85/5  rDev -4.7%

On-tap at Upper Deck. Crystal clear golden color, small head that dissipated too quickly. Smell of fair grains, touch of mile hop and some sweet twang. No wheat beer aromas to speak of. Taste is watery with a touch of honey sweetness and hardly any hops. Kind of tasteless. Not impressed by this one at all, I was imagining a German style Weiss beer with real honey flavor too boot. Alas this is not one such nectar.

chaduvel, Dec 04, 2003
3.85/5  rDev +28.8%

You wouldn't know this was a wheat beer if the bottle didn't say. I mean, its appearance isn't your typical cloud or haze. Rather this beer is pretty clear, straw in color with a small, non-laceing white head. The aroma is not overly sweet, but about average. The taste is crisp, just a touch of honey blends this brew to a nice balance between the slight hop and the wheat malt. The mouth is left alittle dry, wanting more. Im not big on over-sweet brews, thisone just hit the spot. I'll buy thisone again.

chilidog, Nov 15, 2003