Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-07-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Alström Bros
Reviews: 450 | Hads: 1,490
2.45/5  rDev -16.7%

This beer has a very clear straw color. Too clear for wheat beer if you ask me. It did however have a decent head on it.

There wasn't much of a aroma to the beer. It had a slight fruity aroma, but nothing else. No Malt. No Honey. No Wheat.

This was the worst part of the beer. It tasted too much like a mass market, thin, watered down beer than it did a craft beer. There was very little malt flavor and that's about it.

Very thin, light mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation.

This beer is not really a good beer. The only thing I would recommend this beer for is possibly a transition beer. People just getting off mass market beers may be interested in this. I would not recommend it to anyone else and I won't be drinking this beer again.

3.76/5  rDev +27.9%

The beer pours a nice clear golden color with nice carbonation and weak head. The mouthful is nice and crisp. The wheat taste is crisp without the grainy yeast texture. The honey sweatens the deal a little without being overbearing. The hops are nicely matched and even out the finish. Good beer for summer or those wanting to try craft beers for the first time.

I know there's a difference between pale ale and India Pale Ale, but for regular pale ale I'd rather have a Sierra Nevada, also I couldn't detect the honey, should I have another? It was worth a try, but I was a bit disappointed. Good thing I got a deal on the stuff ..

2.51/5  rDev -14.6%

A-Poured a golden yellow with a substantial head of 1.4" and steadily rising carbonation bubbles.
S-Like a macrobrewery tour... SABMILLER?
T-Malty and slightly refreshing with a subtle honey lingering flavor.
M-Thin and fizzy
D-I could probably do two of these of an extremely warm summer's day, but other than that I wouldn't waste my money.

2.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Nothing like what I expected. I didn't expect it to have a real wheat taste (which it didn't) , but I figured that it would be very light and very sweet and maybe actually taste like honey. What I found was an easy drinking bland pilsner.

It's really not horrible. there's very little to be offended by. has a slight sweetness in the aftertaste that's alright, but no honey. very little other flavor, medium-light body. This would be a good choice for people who drink a lot of miller light.

3.8/5  rDev +29.3%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Subtle golden honey in color. Subtle amber.

Smell: Can definitely smell the sweetness from the Wisconsin honey but the lack of an good aroma hop made it too sweet-smelling. Maybe a sterling or saaz hop to add some balance?

Taste: Definitely sweet from the honey but way too much. The cluster hops in this wasn't really enough to overcome the sweet honey flavor.

Mouthfeel: Like I mentioned in the 'Taste' section above the sweetness really carries through in this and is overwhelming. It wasn't horrible if you like a sweeter brew but I can only give it a good.

Drinkability: Maybe something good to have for dessert?

Can recommend this for the most part, enjoyed it a little more than the Classic Amber Leinenkugel.

3.17/5  rDev +7.8%

Very lite in color. Medium head, slow fade. Slight hint of wheat in the aroma. The “characteristic” rusty Linny taste is present. Just smoothed out slightly by the addition of honey. I would never classify this in the wheat family. But as the Linny family goes, it is one of their better offerings. A good summer, hot day beer. No fresh date.

2.87/5  rDev -2.4%

Looks nothing like a wheat... more like a Bud. Completely clear golden color. Head fades quickly. Looks like a normal macro beer.

Sweet grain and that's about it. Other than that it smells like Bud.

Sweet grains and honey. Tastes better than it looks or smells. Finish is grainy... kinda like a Bud. This beer really should be called a wheat!

Light and crisp in mouth. Carbonation feels on tounge.

This is a very plain and easy to drink beer. Flavor isn't bad but it really doesn't seem like a wheat at all. Easy going down.

3.7/5  rDev +25.9%

Grab the fishing pole and a cooler of these and you will have a great day. I do not know what it is but I always relate a Leinies to an outdoor activity. What's wrong with that? I guess it is not too bad. Honey and beer go together like PB & J. A great combination. This beer is a clean crisp and refreshing wheat beer. Not to exciting to look at or smell but it taste pretty damn good. Great session beer. My best friend from Minnesota likes to put a lemon with it.

1.85/5  rDev -37.1%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into a Hoegaarden tumbler.

Appearance: Pale yellow, nearly straw in color. The beer pours with a very wimpy head which subsides to nothing in literally a matter of seconds.

Aroma: Cheap, generic ale-like aroma that is almost overpowered by a sickly-sweet, artificial, vaguely honey-like character. I think Bud might even smell better than this swill.

Taste: This tastes more like a lager than an ale. It bascially tastes like a honey lager. Very little wheat beer characteristics, if any, are noticed.

Overall: Wow! What a crappy beer. This is one of the worst micro/craft brews I've ever had. I had a stomach ache after just three of these. I will never buy this beer again, and I urge you to save yourself from the bad beer blues that this crap induces. This beer is subpar in every aspect - gross, to say the least.

2.18/5  rDev -25.9%

A - Yellow with a golden tint. 3 Lines of bubbles trailing to the top. Head was disappointing with almost no lace. Really resembles a light lager.

S - Alcohol, malts, more alcohol. A trace of honey slips in right in the middle of the whiff. When the smells mix altogether, reminds me of a nice skunk.

T - Almost all malts. There is a wheaty undertone and it finishes with alcohol with an after thought of honey at the end.

M - A plus to this beer as it very light and crisp and finishes clean. Carbonation through the swig that finishes nice and leaves no trail that it was there.

D - Would not drink this beer again. This beer had good potential but did not live up to anything. Easily a below average brew.

2.98/5  rDev +1.4%

Out of the larger brewers that are available in my neck of the woods and widely distrubed to bars/restaurants Leinenkugel's would likely be my choice if there are not any decent micros to choose from.

The beer is a yellow brew that formed a decent head of foam. There was a taint smell of honey that reminds me a little bit like white toast.

The taste is above average for what I have sampled of the macro breweries. I could taste the malt/wheat, but the honey never really rears its head in this brew. Even if I warmed it up a bit, it wasn't there.

The mouthfeel of this beer is rather thin, but I think they carbonate this beer a little too much which tends to fill you up fast. Not a bad beer overall.

2.27/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours a crystal clear pale yellow. Fluffy head fades fast; no lace sticks. Looks like a pilsner.
Not much aroma to speak of. There's some corn with faint honey.
Taste is unimpressive. The touch of honey is overpowered by an odd, harsh bitterness.
The unpleasant bitterness results in low drinkability.

This is on odd beer. Doesn't look, smell, or taste like a wheat. Not even an American wheat. Buy a single, not a six pack.

2.84/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Straw yellow color, fluffy white head. Not a bold tasting wheat. As for honey in the flavor I'm hard press in finding it with this beer. If sweetness was what the honey brought to the table it's there. The beer had a very dry finish which I though took away from it being a refreshing beer on a hot summer day.

2.2/5  rDev -25.2%

Wow, where to begin with this one. Leinenkugel has brewed some fine beers that I really enjoy (Red Lager, Sunset Wheat come to mind). So I figured why not try this honey weiss. This beer absolutly reeks! It more or less tastes like a water-down stale natural light! There was little to no head, mouthfeel was non-existent, and it looks like a Falls City Lager on its best day. I picked up a bottle while shopping at Target of all places. Stay clear of this one fellas. If you are gonna try something from Leinenkugel try anything but this.

pours with small head that actually stays around for 20 seconds or so. Aroma slight hint of honey and alcohol smell. Appearence clear blonde color. Flovor was average. It's not a swill beer, but nothing there to really get your taste buds going. decent price at 5.99 a six. Could hardly taste the honey in this beer. I've had way better wheat beers before. Nothing special.

3.12/5  rDev +6.1%

A - Pours a clear golden color with a thick white foam head that produced about 1 finger worth which held its form ok, but eventually dissipated to a covering. Active carbonation is observed. Little to no lace.
S - Aroma is of sweet honey and wheat. Good level of smell, not too much and not overwhelming. Also smell a trace of alcohol, kind of on the Chardonay side.
T - Overwhelming flavor is the wheat with a very slight hint of honey. Just a hint of hoppyness at the finish, as well. Finishes pretty clean.
M - Medium to high carbonation. Light to medium body. Slight bite at back of tongue.
D - Nothing too suprising here. Not great, but not bad. Seems a little typical, but ok for the style. I'm a little biased, though, because it takes something extra for this style to impress me.

3.26/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a snifter

Light pale hay hue with a white head that is put out immediately.

Hmm.. the aroma is a bit funky, not off putting but not very good.

The taste is much better. Plain though. Wheat, mild malt with the faintest hint off sweet honey.

Nice mouthfeel. Pleasantly in the middle, not especially dry but no unpleasant sticky residue.

If it was hot as balls out I would really enjoy something light like this, but I won't chase one down. A quencher.

3.5/5  rDev +19%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Yellow-gold pour, white head, doesn't last long.

S - Mostly malt and honey.

T - Malt, not as heavy on the honey as you'd expect, kinda grainy.

M - Moderate carbonation, somewhat dry. Leaves you with that syrupy-mouth feeling after you've had a lot of pop.

O - Not bad. I like the honey, but could be better.

3.67/5  rDev +24.8%

Light flavored, not quite as malty as some of this style. I think one problem with this is the glass that it came in. I ordered the 22 oz size, draught, and it came in a large thick soda glass, not a large half-liter weizen glass that it should've been served in. I will hold that against Tony Roma's at the Mall of America, not Leinie's. This had a light lagered flavor, so to give it a kick I went against the norm and dropped in the lemon wedge that came with the glass. It did help a little. If you want a good summery beer, and you live within the Leinie's distribution area, I will give this a good recommendation. Once summer is over, you'll want to switch to something different, but this will do nicely during for the season

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Served from 12 oz. bottle into weizen glass.

A: Darker clear golden yellow, with thin nearly white head.

S: Hints of sweet honey, but mostly grains and malts.

T: This beer tastes very much like a thicker version of an adjunct. Mild honey flavor which could be more. (I remember more) Clean/empty flavor that comes with a macro. No wheat flavor present.

M: Crisp and clean. Light to medium body.

O: Reading the description of a Kristalweisen, I suppose this beer fits the bill. In essence it's a combination of an AAL and a weiss beer. I am interested in trying others now.

Overall, it's easy to drink and pairs well with most foods. On the other hand, it's a bit boring and uninspiring.

2.21/5  rDev -24.8%

I'm reminded of a Jerry Seinfeld bit about Grapenuts cereal. Jerry says: "What's the deal with Grapenuts? No grapes, no nuts!" Well allow me to ask "What's the deal with Leiny's Honey Weiss? No honey, no wheat!"

Sure, Honey Weiss pours a nice golden yellow. It has a sparkling white head that quickly disappears. But there's not much flavor or aroma to write about. What little taste there is certainly isn't offensive, but it's not what you'd expect from something called Honey Weiss.

If you don't want to be seen with a Budweiser or a Miller in hand and want to put on a "microbrew" facade, then perhaps this is the pale yellow beer for you. If you want real honey and wheat characteristics, look elsewhere.

2.6/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into a pint glass and it has a medium golden hue with a one finger head that disappeared very fast. Very little lacing.

The smell was malty and I really couldn't pick up hardly any honey smell which is surprising.

The taste is a sweet malty flavor with a feint hint of honey.

Overall its very drinkable but would have liked to had a stronger honey flavor. I would drink it again but only in a variety pack, I wouldn't buy a pack of just this beer.

3.08/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured into a clean pint glass

A: I think this is the clearest beer I have ever seen. very little carbonation and less that finger width of head.

S: very faint hops.

T: slight bitterness with nothing else for taste.

M: very thin, smooth slight carbonation.

O: There is really nothing to this beer. Very slight hops taste and nothing, absolutely nothing else

In my opinion this is just a "good, solid" beer. It's not fantastic and won't set the world on fire, but it's good. I think it has a very clean flavor. The color is also good...more clear than I'd expect for a wheat beer. The smell is also good...I also smelled a yeast/wheat smell. The mouthfeel and drinkability are also good. Like I said...it's just a good, solid beer. I'll say it ranks as "better than most" in my book.

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company