Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-07-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Alström Bros
Reviews: 451 | Hads: 1,500
2.11/5  rDev -28.2%

Best by March 11, 2013

Appearance: Crystal clear straw color with zero head. Looks like AAL.

Smell: Not impressive. Smells like adjuncts.

Taste: What taste? I can't make out any honey. It tastes like AAL. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Light... like water.

Overall: Stay away. I might drink one for free.

3.85/5  rDev +31%

a-golden clear, little shadow, little head when pouring, looks like a regular light beer, but more golden yellow

s-the smell has a hint of honey

t-nice crisp taste with a hint of honey, the honey is not overpowering like berryweiss

m-very enjoyable smooth,

d-one of my favorite light beers, like i stated above the honey is very light and can easily drink a few of these beers

3.28/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a clear golden yellow with a thin white head.

Light sweetness from the malt and honey in the aroma.

Light, almost fruity flavors. Some hop notes present, but not bitter. Wheat notes also present.

Light body and medium-high carbonation for the mouthfeel.

Very easy drinking beer. Good for those who want an alternative to the typical macros, but more experiences beer drinkers will probably find this bland.

2.85/5  rDev -3.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Clear golden yellow color with almost no head. Minimal white lacing. Mediocre carbonation.

Smell: Wheat, grainy malts, crackers, and honey.

Taste: Pretty much the same as the nose, very sweet.

Mouthfeel: Almost watery. Light bodied.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink. Sort of bland. Crisp and clean.

Ending notes: Overall, not too impressive. I didn't hate it, but I won't be getting this one again anytime soon. Average summer beer at best.

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A sweet tasting beer. Crisp and refreshing.

Yellow colored body with a white head.

Smells like citrus, hops and honey.

Tastes hoppy with sweetness from the honey and a strong citrus finish.

Light mouthfeel, high carbonation.

I like to drink this beer once in a while. Very refreshing.

2.3/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Transparent pale yellow with a half inch white head made of fine bubbles. The head vanishes to a fine layer on the top after a very short time. There is visible carbonation throughout.

S: Smells of wheat beer and clover honey.

T: Very wheaty taste. Honey is very slight on the after taste. Has almost a tart sensation to it.

M: Feels watery and lightly carbonated.

D: Although drinkable, not something I'd buy a full case of. I have six bottles from their Adventure Sampler and that's plenty for me.

3.08/5  rDev +4.8%

Notes from 3/10/10 tasting. Bottle poured to tall European lager glass.

A-clear golden with big foamy head, settled but remained

S-kind of dank and skunky

T-light, sweet lager taste, but little of the honey

M-pretty good mouthfeel, light and refreshing, but nothing like a Weisse, Hefeweizen, or Krystalweisse

D-could definitely drink a few of these if I was in the mood, but not a great beer

3.01/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours light pale yellow with foamy head...not a particularly attractive beer

Surprisingly attractive sweet spicey nose with nice wheat undertomes

Sweet and lite with a hint of sour. Not on overly discernable weis flavor

A little fizzy, but not a bad light refreshing beer.

2.35/5  rDev -20.1%

Made a recent family journey to Flint Michigan and our first stop was at a Rite-Aid for a candy bar. Lo and behold on the floor was a 12 pack on sale of Leinenkugel Honey Weiss. My curiosity overtook me. I have never ever had a Leinenkugel product and was quite excited at the prospect. Now "Rite Aid" and "on sale" should have clued me in, but I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Poured to a very pale yellow almost like grapefruit juice, with liitle to no head to speak of. I'm no chemist, but honey+wheat do not equal skunky (normally). The merit of this beer is its longevity. Tasted exactly the same (maybe even better) when room temperature was achieved. Macro brewing personified. Lifeless and redundant.

2.98/5  rDev +1.4%

The appearance of this beer is a light golden color with little head. It had a faint hop smell, and a slightly sweet taste with a hint of a hop taste. There was a smooth mouthfeel, but overall it is not an impressive brew. Though when there is limited choice, or your low on cash not a bad brew to have by far.

4.59/5  rDev +56.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This was actually a very good beer in my opinion. The aromas of honey when you open the bottle were very noticeable. The taste of this was also very good and will continue to drink this beer when I am able to do so. This is very popular in my area as well.

3.18/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Serving: Cold bottle into glass

Appearance: Clear, golden yellow, with white, frothy head and surprising amounts of lace. I'm mildly surprised.

Smell: Definitely wheat, a fair amount of graininess, a bit of that 'clove' characteristic of weizen's but not overpowering. An interesting nose considering the source, but pretty light overall.

Taste: Pretty easygoing, however it is very grainy, and has a sulfuric aftertaste.

Feel: pretty light and crisp, though drying in the finish.

Overall: Not bad for Leinenkugel. This was one of my first beers and it's fun to go back to. I was surprised by the appearance and smell, but the taste did not quite deliver in my opinion. A good summer beer nonetheless.

3.35/5  rDev +13.9%

A: Clear yellow with a one-finger head. Died fast but has a good amount of lacing.

S: Grainy malts and wheat. A tiny hint of honey.

T: Very wheaty with a tiny bit of sweet honey.

M: Decent amount of carbonation with a clean finish. A medium body thanks to the trace amount of honey flavor which seems to thicken the beer by a small amount. A little watery nonetheless.

O: Easy to drink, clean finish, one of the more fuller-bodied Kristalweizen's but was still a little too watery. Overall a good beer with common flaws, so compared to others, one of the better ones.

Overall, not a bad beer, but I expected more of a honey profile in the beer. There's a bit of honey in the nose but It's barely perceptible in the beer itself. Overall the beer is good, but the wife and I just didn't pick up much of it's namesake in the profile. It's very drinkable, but I'd rather have a sunset wheat if I had a choice.

2.6/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Aside from the head, it looks like a lager with a clear yellow-gold body. Head has some staying power.

S - Honey, lemon and skunk. Pleasant and weird at the same time.

T - I don't know how to describe this. Very weird. I'm getting some light lemon peel with sweetness and maltiness. The finish is strange. Toothpaste?

M - Pretty watery.

O - Pales in comparison to the Sunset Wheat. If I wasn't a cheap ass in need of a buzz I would've probably set it aside.

3.15/5  rDev +7.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into 7 oz. glass.

Light golden color. Perfectly clear, which I don't like to see in wheats. Head disappeared quickly. Lacing weak, non-existent.

Honey smell faint, but decent.

Taste of honey much less obvious than other honey beers. Good balance of malt and hops. Medium carbonation.

Mouthfeel is like carbonated water, except for the malt.

Could easily do a session, but wouldn't necessarily want to.

4.73/5  rDev +60.9%

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss is a wheat beer made by Leinenkugel's Brewing Company in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. It's availabe mainly throughout the midwest US. It is one of my favorite three or four beers.

It's a fairly typical wheat beer, with a touch of a honey taste, however the honey taste isn't at all overpowering. The closest beer I can compare it with is Dundee's Honey Brown. It's typically served with a lemon slice, which I actually prefer not to have. It's remarkably refreshing during the summer, and smoothly satisfying even in the coldest of winter.

This is what I call a "gateway beer". So many people in the US are die hard Bud Light or Miller Light or <insert crappy mass produced American lager name here> fans, this is the beer I typically give these people to get them exposed to a different style of beer. This is the beer that woke me up to a whole new beer culture, and I am grateful for it.

Leinenkugel's also has a wide variety of other beers in their lineup, and most of them are good as well. In my opinion, Leinenkugel's has the best batch of variety beers (Sam Adams being a close second). To the people in Leinie country, I say thank you, and keep on brewing. To the people who have never tried a Leinie's, I say what are you waiting for? Drink up!

3.1/5  rDev +5.4%

This clear golden beer poured a small inch and a half size white head that left some lacing.

The smell whats a mixture of sweet bread like with a lemon like smell

It didn't have a very strong flavor to it but i could taste some hint of malt and hops...but not any honey like taste as the name infers.

I felt that it was a medium carbinated beer that reminded me of a light beer.

It is def. a easy to drink beer that is a good change of pace from your typical american beer and when you need a break from the great german variety that I get to enjoy, however, I enjoy some of the other leinenkugel

3.34/5  rDev +13.6%

Smell-Very honey like. Some hops.

Looks-Straw like yellow. Not that great.

Taste-Lots of honey up front. The after taste isn't that great. The after taste, taste like a Bud Light or something like that.

Overall it's not that bad of a beer. Much better than Bud Light or a big mainstreem beer..but not far off from them. Give it a try.

2.18/5  rDev -25.9%

If I were served this beer in a blind taste I might not be quite as harsh, but for a beer that is marketed as a premium "craft" beer, this is a shameful product, really average beer at the price of good six pack. The flavor is muted, the mouthfeel flat, and aroma and aftertaste are pretty much MIA. I've had their northwoods lager and other phonies and would pretty much say the same thing: these beers are macro quality masquerading as micros.

2.88/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden yellow with a one-inch white, foamy head that settles quickly, but leaves a fair amount of thin lacing behind.

Amora is slightly sweet, mostly faint honey and malt.

The taste is about what the amora indicated: slightly sweet from faint malts and honey. Theres also a very faint fruity element in there as well, maybe banana?

Overall, a very light bodied but highly drinkable beer. Carbonation reminds me very much of a macro, but it does have a nice clean, crisp finish. Nothing really good or bad about this beer.

3.07/5  rDev +4.4%

The more opportunities I've had to pour myself a glass of HoneyWeiss, the more I've liked it. The first time, was not a great experience, but some family had given me a 12 pack. Slowly but surely over the next couple of weeks, I found myself enjoying the subtle tastes of a good wheat beer beneath the initially sweet honey.

Like many of Leinenkugel's flavors, this is a great stepping stone brew. From here, I am excited to try some of the Mead beers that are out there.

2.32/5  rDev -21.1%

i don't have much experiance with wheat beers, but this definately is not like the others i've had. pours very pale just like a mass produced lager with no head at all. there was no cloudiness as i've seen in other wheat beers. very slight honey flavor, but not too noticeable. save your money and just buy bud or miller, this really isn't any better and i don't thionk you're realy getting a wheat beer.

It has a straw color apperence with little head or lacing. Its suppose to taste like honey but I tasted only hops and wheat. Basically, the good thing is its a beer and not water. But the taste is average for a wheat ale of its kind. I was not great but not bad. I would drink it if thats the best you have.

2.16/5  rDev -26.5%

So I've seen and heard about this beer quite often. I finally tried it and I really wanted to like it. However, this was just a deplorable attempt by Leinenkugal. The appearance is ok with not much of a head and no real lacing but the color may lead you to believe the are some layers of flavor in the glass. The scent is an overwhelming aroma of corn and every other type of cheap filler you can think. Call the smell rancid, skunky or just flat out cheap...it wasn't pleasant. The taste is so disappointing. I can't say it's too horrible as you can drink it...if your Nicholas Cage in "Leaving Las Vegas" and need a "fix" but the corn and grassiness hits you right of the bat and you then quickly get some nasty honey flavor. In my opinion there is balance here and it's all bad! The mouth-feel reminds me of tap beer from rusty pipes in a dive bar. Avoid this one! It's too bad , some of Leinenkugal's stuff isn't bad, but they crashed and burned on this one.

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company