2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Honey WeissLeinenkugel's Honey Weiss

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-07-2002)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,155 | Reviews: 441 | Show All Ratings:
merddyn2002

Overall, not a bad beer, but I expected more of a honey profile in the beer. There's a bit of honey in the nose but It's barely perceptible in the beer itself. Overall the beer is good, but the wife and I just didn't pick up much of it's namesake in the profile. It's very drinkable, but I'd rather have a sunset wheat if I had a choice.

08-04-2010 15:20:54 | More by merddyn2002
loobear

2.58/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Aside from the head, it looks like a lager with a clear yellow-gold body. Head has some staying power.

S - Honey, lemon and skunk. Pleasant and weird at the same time.

T - I don't know how to describe this. Very weird. I'm getting some light lemon peel with sweetness and maltiness. The finish is strange. Toothpaste?

M - Pretty watery.

O - Pales in comparison to the Sunset Wheat. If I wasn't a cheap ass in need of a buzz I would've probably set it aside.

04-25-2011 01:50:23 | More by loobear
beckerboots

Ontario (Canada)

2.38/5  rDev -20.1%

Made a recent family journey to Flint Michigan and our first stop was at a Rite-Aid for a candy bar. Lo and behold on the floor was a 12 pack on sale of Leinenkugel Honey Weiss. My curiosity overtook me. I have never ever had a Leinenkugel product and was quite excited at the prospect. Now "Rite Aid" and "on sale" should have clued me in, but I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Poured to a very pale yellow almost like grapefruit juice, with liitle to no head to speak of. I'm no chemist, but honey+wheat do not equal skunky (normally). The merit of this beer is its longevity. Tasted exactly the same (maybe even better) when room temperature was achieved. Macro brewing personified. Lifeless and redundant.

05-27-2004 21:17:48 | More by beckerboots
odietrying

3.15/5  rDev +5.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into 7 oz. glass.

Light golden color. Perfectly clear, which I don't like to see in wheats. Head disappeared quickly. Lacing weak, non-existent.

Honey smell faint, but decent.

Taste of honey much less obvious than other honey beers. Good balance of malt and hops. Medium carbonation.

Mouthfeel is like carbonated water, except for the malt.

Could easily do a session, but wouldn't necessarily want to.

09-01-2008 19:42:02 | More by odietrying
Strand

North Dakota

4.75/5  rDev +59.4%

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss is a wheat beer made by Leinenkugel's Brewing Company in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. It's availabe mainly throughout the midwest US. It is one of my favorite three or four beers.

It's a fairly typical wheat beer, with a touch of a honey taste, however the honey taste isn't at all overpowering. The closest beer I can compare it with is Dundee's Honey Brown. It's typically served with a lemon slice, which I actually prefer not to have. It's remarkably refreshing during the summer, and smoothly satisfying even in the coldest of winter.

This is what I call a "gateway beer". So many people in the US are die hard Bud Light or Miller Light or <insert crappy mass produced American lager name here> fans, this is the beer I typically give these people to get them exposed to a different style of beer. This is the beer that woke me up to a whole new beer culture, and I am grateful for it.

Leinenkugel's also has a wide variety of other beers in their lineup, and most of them are good as well. In my opinion, Leinenkugel's has the best batch of variety beers (Sam Adams being a close second). To the people in Leinie country, I say thank you, and keep on brewing. To the people who have never tried a Leinie's, I say what are you waiting for? Drink up!

03-11-2009 19:18:17 | More by Strand
mareth01

Germany

3.1/5  rDev +4%

This clear golden beer poured a small inch and a half size white head that left some lacing.

The smell whats a mixture of sweet bread like with a lemon like smell

It didn't have a very strong flavor to it but i could taste some hint of malt and hops...but not any honey like taste as the name infers.

I felt that it was a medium carbinated beer that reminded me of a light beer.

It is def. a easy to drink beer that is a good change of pace from your typical american beer and when you need a break from the great german variety that I get to enjoy, however, I enjoy some of the other leinenkugel

05-26-2009 17:58:29 | More by mareth01
tvljr

2.23/5  rDev -25.2%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Extremely clean pour and appearance, even for a kristalweisen, with a short lived and lacy head.s

No hint of honey in the smell or the taste. I kind of expected that in a Honey Weiss.

More bitter than I expected for a Honey Weiss with a shot of hops in the aftertaste.

Dry finish. Could probably drink it on the hottest of July days, but only if nothing else was available.

04-20-2012 23:41:58 | More by tvljr
RyanLaCount03

Wisconsin

4.58/5  rDev +53.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This was actually a very good beer in my opinion. The aromas of honey when you open the bottle were very noticeable. The taste of this was also very good and will continue to drink this beer when I am able to do so. This is very popular in my area as well.

02-20-2013 18:39:15 | More by RyanLaCount03
Clones21

Iowa

3.3/5  rDev +10.7%

Smell-Very honey like. Some hops.

Looks-Straw like yellow. Not that great.

Taste-Lots of honey up front. The after taste isn't that great. The after taste, taste like a Bud Light or something like that.

Overall it's not that bad of a beer. Much better than Bud Light or a big mainstreem beer..but not far off from them. Give it a try.

06-23-2012 00:42:19 | More by Clones21
tallar

2.85/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden yellow with a one-inch white, foamy head that settles quickly, but leaves a fair amount of thin lacing behind.

Amora is slightly sweet, mostly faint honey and malt.

The taste is about what the amora indicated: slightly sweet from faint malts and honey. Theres also a very faint fruity element in there as well, maybe banana?

Overall, a very light bodied but highly drinkable beer. Carbonation reminds me very much of a macro, but it does have a nice clean, crisp finish. Nothing really good or bad about this beer.

06-13-2006 02:03:38 | More by tallar
ChrisQ

Nebraska

3.08/5  rDev +3.4%

The more opportunities I've had to pour myself a glass of HoneyWeiss, the more I've liked it. The first time, was not a great experience, but some family had given me a 12 pack. Slowly but surely over the next couple of weeks, I found myself enjoying the subtle tastes of a good wheat beer beneath the initially sweet honey.

Like many of Leinenkugel's flavors, this is a great stepping stone brew. From here, I am excited to try some of the Mead beers that are out there.

02-13-2009 04:05:45 | More by ChrisQ
cbill

2.3/5  rDev -22.8%

i don't have much experiance with wheat beers, but this definately is not like the others i've had. pours very pale just like a mass produced lager with no head at all. there was no cloudiness as i've seen in other wheat beers. very slight honey flavor, but not too noticeable. save your money and just buy bud or miller, this really isn't any better and i don't thionk you're realy getting a wheat beer.

07-24-2003 16:09:59 | More by cbill
beerguy04

It has a straw color apperence with little head or lacing. Its suppose to taste like honey but I tasted only hops and wheat. Basically, the good thing is its a beer and not water. But the taste is average for a wheat ale of its kind. I was not great but not bad. I would drink it if thats the best you have.

09-29-2004 15:41:47 | More by beerguy04
RossPeterson

3.38/5  rDev +13.4%

A: Clear yellow with a one-finger head. Died fast but has a good amount of lacing.

S: Grainy malts and wheat. A tiny hint of honey.

T: Very wheaty with a tiny bit of sweet honey.

M: Decent amount of carbonation with a clean finish. A medium body thanks to the trace amount of honey flavor which seems to thicken the beer by a small amount. A little watery nonetheless.

O: Easy to drink, clean finish, one of the more fuller-bodied Kristalweizen's but was still a little too watery. Overall a good beer with common flaws, so compared to others, one of the better ones.

12-20-2011 22:27:36 | More by RossPeterson
Khad

Nevada

2.16/5  rDev -27.5%

Weird!

So I've seen and heard about this beer quite often. I finally tried it and I really wanted to like it. However, this was just a deplorable attempt by Leinenkugal. The appearance is ok with not much of a head and no real lacing but the color may lead you to believe the are some layers of flavor in the glass. The scent is an overwhelming aroma of corn and every other type of cheap filler you can think. Call the smell rancid, skunky or just flat out cheap...it wasn't pleasant. The taste is so disappointing. I can't say it's too horrible as you can drink it...if your Nicholas Cage in "Leaving Las Vegas" and need a "fix" but the corn and grassiness hits you right of the bat and you then quickly get some nasty honey flavor. In my opinion there is balance here and it's all bad! The mouth-feel reminds me of tap beer from rusty pipes in a dive bar. Avoid this one! It's too bad , some of Leinenkugal's stuff isn't bad, but they crashed and burned on this one.

11-16-2013 07:14:06 | More by Khad
bcpriess

4.1/5  rDev +37.6%

One of my faves once you get past the German, Austrian, and Mexican lagers. As with many beers, this one is a bit better on draft - just a bit fresher tasting.

A: Always a nice golden yellow, fairly clear. It pours with a foamy head, which quickly dissipates, leaving behind some lacing.

S: Not overpowering. Just solidly beery, with a hint of sweetness, and something giving it a freshness.

T: Good. The honey comes through without being overpowering. Just a tinge of bitterness, but because of the presence of the honey, it is very well balanced. Serves well with a squeezed lemon. Taste remains palatable even after a couple pours.

M: This beer fizzes as you drink it, nice carbonation. It feels very clean, and doesn't seem to leave behind any unwanted residual flavors.

D: Pretty good, again. There is a certain fullness to this beer, but it isn't heavy by any means. I think it is just the carbonation. It is definitely a refreshing beer, and one of the better beers in this aspect, in my opinion.

04-21-2010 01:43:49 | More by bcpriess
TonyBaloney

2.17/5  rDev -27.2%

If I were served this beer in a blind taste I might not be quite as harsh, but for a beer that is marketed as a premium "craft" beer, this is a shameful product, really average beer at the price of good six pack. The flavor is muted, the mouthfeel flat, and aroma and aftertaste are pretty much MIA. I've had their northwoods lager and other phonies and would pretty much say the same thing: these beers are macro quality masquerading as micros.

09-22-2008 14:32:07 | More by TonyBaloney
mk3

Utah

2.58/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured into a pilsener. A very light straw color with really no head.

There is really not much of a smell to it, maybe a hint of honey?

Mouth? I'm drinking one as I write this, is thin with a little too much carbonation.

As far as taste goes, I've had a few kristall's and this isn't even close. there is no "sourness"? that should be in a weiss, even a kristall weiss.

All in all, I don't think I will buy this beer again, it just doesn't have much going for it other than you could drink a lot of this in one sitting.

06-16-2011 03:48:29 | More by mk3
adamboeckman

Kansas

3.68/5  rDev +23.5%

Is this really a wheat beer? Don't think so. When poured in the glass this brew virtually had no head. Taste like a macro style pilsner. It goes down good, and taste great ice cold on a hot Kansas summer day, however, I don't think this will be a brew that visits the ol fridgo very often.

08-04-2004 22:50:56 | More by adamboeckman
skullx

i was excited to see this for sale in philadelphia in a variety pack since i can only get the sunset wheat in new york . well the honey weisse was a big disappointment i mean big . there was nothing to this beer i think id even drink a rolling rock over this im just wondering if i got some bad ones because the red lager and sunset wheats in the pack were very nice . p.s the other beer in the pack was the creamy dark not that good either

10-21-2007 17:41:28 | More by skullx
BigSteinsEmpire

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

Just cracked one of these on a great spring day...can't get much better for the bargain. Sure there's better beers but this one hits great price point and is a quality brew. Great notes of Honey...go figure. Just enough sweetness in it to get you through a warm spring/summer day. I'd take this over the Shandy any day....the shandy is too sweet and fills you up so fast. This is a great session beer.

05-08-2011 02:40:53 | More by BigSteinsEmpire
MakeIncuSciBus

3.08/5  rDev +3.4%

A- Pours a yellowish urine color.

S- Very minimal smell of honey. However, it does smell sweet.

T- Lighter than other Leinenkugel's beers, and with this one I can taste the alcohol. Definitely lacking something.

M- Tastes actually like a light beer

Not a favorite of mine, bought it in a winter variety 12 pack.

11-03-2010 23:19:00 | More by MakeIncuSciBus
hworking

Indiana

2.78/5  rDev -6.7%

Very good looking amber beer Slight head to it very low carbonation The smell of it was very malty The taste of the beer was very bitter which is why I didn't really care for it to me it wasn't very drinkable I probably won't have it again any time soon

08-07-2010 21:00:28 | More by hworking
GuyNamedSid

2.65/5  rDev -11.1%

Little to no head. A piss yellow color. Mouth felt a little heavy. the honey was nice...I thought it would have been too sweet, but was impressed with the flavor.

Leaves a little after taste but not necessarily a bad one. I'd say this is more of a cooler weather beer despite it being boxed in the summer sampler.

Overall: Try it

06-23-2012 01:27:43 | More by GuyNamedSid
iceberg3k

Serving: 23-oz. "Brewtus" serving at Applebee's, Rochester, MN

Appearance: Bright amber color, thin, white lace (the head had already dissipated by the time it reached the table) that hung around for a while. Pretty good looking.

Smell: Nondescript; the smell of honey barely appears.

Taste: Thin honey taste with few other real flavor components. The taste isn't really enough to distinguish it; slight (very slight) bitter notes became apparent as the beer warmed up.

Mouthfeel: Am I drinking water? I don't know.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, crisp and clean with little aftertaste, but the other factors are unimpressive.

Overall: Leinie's is something I'd drink if the only other choices were macros, but given a choice, I'll stick with one of my more usual brews.

12-21-2003 02:12:02 | More by iceberg3k