Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 1,213 | Reviews: 376
3.93/5  rDev +39.9%

Sampled last night on 5/20/15 but had this several times before and even on tap. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "LEINENKUGEL"S" pint glass.

Brew pours a nice reddish-amber in color with about a 1-finger foamy/fizzy white head that settles down fairly quickly. Some spotty lacing is seen when sipped. The aroma is really nice and is of mixed berries with a touch of honey and grains. Pretty much is said for the taste with the strawberry and black raspberry coming through nicely to balance this brew, Goes down easy of course. Lighter bodied with good carbonation. Overall, a tasty brew.

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle dated Jul 06 15. Sampled May 15, 2015.

The color is a sort of orange-strawberry sparkling water color with a burst of white head that fizzles as fast as it erupts.

The aroma is mostly strawberry, blackberry, and a tiny hint of honey.

Light body

The flavor surprised me a little. I do get the weakest note of toasted bread and a very mild bitterness but otherwise it is all berries.

2.88/5  rDev +2.5%

$3.25 bottle at Three Blind Mice in Mt. Clemens, Michigan.

This beer is just... alright, let me start by saying it smells nice -- really wine cooler-y to the point of smelling like perfume, but it's pleasant. But the taste is just insanely sweet. I've had Summer Shandy, and that's a somewhat sweet beer, but this surpasses that. This is syrupy sweet. The berry flavors aren't bad, but they come off at times as medicinal and that's not helping the cloyingness of this beer. I could see it being a little refreshing on a super hot summer day, but just hanging out in a bar, man... it's just too sweet. The flavor isn't too bad, but it's hard to get past that sugary sweetness. One of the sweetest brews I've ever had.

All-in-all, you do NOT have to like beer to like this one. This screams wine cooler... there's only a super faint wheat finish that reminds you it's a beer. I'd pass on having it again unless I'm in 80 degree or hotter heat, really thirsty, and there's no water around. Tastes pretty decent, but for the eighty-eighth time, it's just too sweet for my buds (hence the 2.5 overall rating).

3.37/5  rDev +19.9%

The color of red grapefruit juice. Smells and tastes like sweet berries. Nothing tart or sour about this offering. Almost soda-like but, on the other hand, exactly what it purports to be (and nothing more).

EVEN WORSE THEN SUMMER SHANDY

3.15/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Haters, begone. This is the perfect beer for me right now when I want a beer but there is still way too much work to be done. The color is a rosy amber, the taste is Blackberry with a slightly bitter aftertaste, it's light, carbonated, fun.

3.93/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Not something I would even consider trying again.

1.61/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

A really really sweet tasting soft drink that was labeled a beer by mistake.
Or at least I hope so.

1.83/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Tastes liek Hi-C and not in a good way, sugary and think and sticky. Is this even beer?

1.49/5  rDev -47%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

taste like an ice cooler

1.6/5  rDev -43.1%

Saccharine sweet, disgustingly flavored, this beer came to me in a sample pack. On a night when my refrigerator was particularly dry, it came down to me and Leinie's Berry Weiss.

The overpowering artificial berry flavor killed the beer. Syrupy in feel. Made me feel instantly ill. I'm usually not this down on a beer, but this is definitely one to avoid.

Way too sweet; more like fruit juice.

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

I like this more than I should.

1.04/5  rDev -63%

I did not enjoy this at all..I always see this beer but never actually see anybody buy it and now I know why..way too sweet! Maybe someone goin from wine coolers to beer might enjoy this !

1.66/5  rDev -40.9%

So, so, so super sweet!

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Its too sweet for a beer. Its beer candy hahaha. Its pretty smooth but its too sweet when you want "real" beer. So it might be good for a beginner or to convert someone to trying beer if they like sweet drinks and liquor.

4.09/5  rDev +45.6%

I enjoy the fruity taste and the strong smell. Great in the summer.

3.12/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The fruitiness of this beer is almost juice-like. The very subtle hint of honey halps take some of the tart out. There is very litfle actual beer taste. This should be a big winner for lovers of fruit punch.

3.47/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Fruity and deliciously crispy. Perfect for a summer day around the pool.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss brewed by Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, with an ABV of 4.70% This brew pours out a nice pink color with a nice white head. Berry Weiss has a color all on it's own . The smell is sweet, with berry. You pick up on a hit of grains, malts, and hops. The taste is bitter, sweet. You pick up on the berries in this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. The berry taste is smooth and refreshing. Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss has a nice balance to it there is nothing overpower in it. Overall I'm giving Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss a solid 4 out 5 . I like how this brew is different from most brews on the market. I would buy this brew again.

2.6/5  rDev -7.5%

Too sweet for me!.
It's better on tap though. Bottled or as good.

3.7/5  rDev +31.7%

Precious and I used to watch the show "Storage Wars". It's a reality show not worth talking about except one of the stars [sic] was a guy named Barry Weiss. He's a bit of a character, and Precious loves him. So Precious went to visit her mom, and after I dropped her off at the airport I made a beeline for the beer store. I saw this on the shelf. I told Precious about it, and she told me that I had to go back and get some.

I don't know if this can really be called "beer" because it's so different. The color is a kind of purple/violet type color, and it smells like a fruity, sweet wine almost like a moscato. But the taste just isn't there. Like the title suggests, it has a hint of a berry flavor, but it's a little syrupy and heavy. If you like that, then this might be worth trying.

I love Leinenkugel's for their ingenuity and originality. I encourage experimentation. I'm the first one in the pool. But this just doesn't do it.

3.75/5  rDev +33.5%

I think all of Leinenkugels' fruit beers are the same: fruity and delicious, but leave you wishing they had something more distinguishing than which fruit is in this particular beer you're drinking at that moment.

2.67/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a regular glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy pink color. The head is a finger high, and light pink in shade. It has a rough texture and poor retention. However, there is a bit of lacing left on the glass. (3.25)

Smell: Berries, berries, and more berries. Mostly blackberry and raspberry, with only faint hints of the base wheat beer coming through. I can't give it a great score due to its simplicity - but honestly, it smells decent. It doesn't really seem artificial or chemical, either. (3)

Taste: Flavor-wise, it's about 90% fruity drink, 10% beer. I do taste hints of honey, wheat, and faint butter on the back end, but this is practically blackberry juice. While it's WAY too sweet, it doesn't particularly strike me as being chemical. Still, it's very simplistic and not at all likely to appeal to hardcore craft drinkers. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: Very sweet. The finish needs to be cleaned up by a magnitude of sixty, actually. Carbonation is strong enough to will it down slightly more easily, but it becomes tiring after a while. (2.5)

Overall: Not great in the least, but given I had that horrifying Honey Abomination Cask from Shock Top earlier, this looks downright miraculous in comparison. Still, it tastes like a glorified wine cooler. Won't be buying this again, that's for sure. (2.5)

2.64/5: If Arbor Mist brewed a beer...

3.72/5  rDev +32.4%

Having some kale chips and pub cheese. Lets see if this is a good pairing (probably not...)

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured for appearance

Appearance (3.75) : A girly pinkish 2 fingered head atop a pink melon colored body. About 60% opacity. The head leaves casual broken rings around the glass as it recedes. Pretty.

Smell (4) : Berry. Strawberry, Raspberry, a little sucrose. Some faint wheat underneath. The smell really pops out at you.

Taste (3.5) : Pretty tasty. It has this type of malt beverage taste but retains the ale character. I taste strawberry, pink lemonade, a little lime. It ends almost flat and lacking flavor but oddly I don't mind. At worst you could say its a rotten berry soda. But on the beer side of things its pleasantly fruity. The flavor seems to float off your tongue, it ends just a smidgen sour.

Mouthfeel (3.75) : Creamy, milky, carbonated. It is not exceptional but for this type of beer the mouthfeel nails it.

Overall (3.72) : I would buy this again. Yummy, lots of esters, lots of fruit and lambic type of flavors. An easy beer for a breezy afternoon.

to view more.