Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 1,199 | Reviews: 368
Reviews by CoSMoSYS:
3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

Poured from a bottle with a decent head and absolutely no lacing. After a minute or two the head completely disappears and all you see is the reddish-pink hue beer. I didn't see any carbonation happening at all either.

The smell was of berries and some sugar and I could already tell it was going to be very sweet.

The taste was exactly how I thought it would. As I drank I could sense a little tartness which left no aftertaste. It kind of overpowered my taste buds with carbonation. It was almost like I was drinking a wine cooler.

This was an ok beer. I'm not going to walk into a beer store or bar searching this one out, but if I happen to walk across it and the mood strikes...well then, I just might drink it again.

2.56/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Berry Weiss. I already don't like the sound of that, but who am I to turn down a free beer? Pours a weird, off-shade of copper with a strange reddish hue to it, almost pink, but not quite there. The head grows big and foamy, but it's about as wispy as they come as it's gone within a minute, no lacing gets left behind.

The aroma is a splash of berries and sweetness; raspberry, blackberry, and some other kind of berries I'm sure (not really getting much strawberry, though). It's pretty artificial and "fake" smelling, like the aroma you'd expect from a candle or some kind of wall plug-in air freshener. But actually even a bit worse than those, since this has a somewhat chalky and medicinal character to it. Like crushed vitamins or something.

The flavor doesn't stray too far from the aroma - it's an awkward concoction of artificial berry juice, residual sweetness, and remnants of beer. Almost more akin to a wine cooler or a flavored malt liquor beverage, if it weren't for the wheat and yeast coated that gets left on the palate in the aftertaste. The strange chalkiness from the nose comes back to haunt the flavor a bit, too. Pretty sweet overall - not necessarily cloying, but it's not a desirable sweetness, either. Body is thin with a crisp mouth feel from the heavy dose of carbonation.

Yeah, this really isn't my thing. Glad that I tried it just so I know to steer absolutely clear of it next time. It's like a poor man's version of The Soft Parade by Shorts. I'll pass on this one next time.

2.32/5  rDev -17.4%

12oz. bottle poured into a Leinie's weiss glass

It pours a orange pink color with a frothy 2 finger head in the slightest pink shade that lingers a surprising amount of time. The beer has just a touch of haziness to it. A very minimal amount of lacing

The nose is upfront and fairly sweet with the berries. Unlike other well done fruit beers where the smell of fresh fruit is overpowering this one lends itself to a seemingly artificial extract raspberry smell without much backbone to it.

The first thing that hits my tongue is an overwhelming amount of sweetness. Those raspberry extract flavors then through with the expected flavors that come with using flavoring. The sweetness and the raspberry completely over powers any beer type taste. While swishing the beer in my mouth I could detect just the slightest flavor and mouthfeel of wheat. Besides that it's a very one dimensional sweet tasting fruit beer and not a very good example

The mouth feel is pretty clean, crisp and dry. I understand that all of Leinie's regular offerings are produced as lagers this shows. Hardly any body to the beer at all. The carbonation level is on the higher side which to me help wash away all the sweetness. Drinkability is pretty low because of the sweetness. Out of the many times I've had this beer I always find the last half of the pint almost unbearable in the how sugary it tastes.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%

A: Dark pink with a light white head

S: Smells a lot like a sweet whine. The berry dominates

T: Very strong berry taste with a nice wheat background.

M: light and crisp with no burn or bitterness

D: as long as you like sweet flavors it's incredibly drinkable

Overall, a nice easy beer for those that don't love the taste of beer.

2.24/5  rDev -20.3%

This was one of the selections in the Leinie variety pack. Maybe I would have liked it better on a warm summer day, but I doubt it. This was a reddish/pink beer with a small pink head. When the head quickly disappeared, it looked like fruit juice. It had a sweet berry aroma, not too bad. But the sweetness overwhelmed the taste. Way too sweet, way too juice-like.

2.42/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

It's a pink beer--like a carnation ale. Interestingly, I read that it's honey and blackberries, but its pinkish tone gives off more of a raspberry and/orcherry vibe. As usual, I start my review unable to avoid seeing the present grade (C+). It looks like a fruit beer--not syrupy or anything, but it's supposed to have some color! Since I knew I was having this style beverage, I expected something like this...and I like it. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not really fizzy (like other macro fruit beers I've experienced). Quite frankly, I think it's a very good-looking beverage.

The smell is a little much. I've read about the smell of artificial sweetness (not just subtle sweeteners, but the core of the taste), and the smell gives me that suspicion. It's a very berry smelly.

Maybe I was wrong about the syrup. I must've been fooled by the look because it tastes purty syrupy. Maybe that's the honey, but (and perhaps this is because of the smell) it tastes synthetic. Sure strawberries taste better with sugar on top, but you CAN overdo the sugar. At the very least, this beer hinges on overly sweet. I love fruit beers, but this one is too much like a fountain drink. It does taste kind of like those concentrated cola bags mixed with water. Not that it's bad, but it's certainly not a manly beer (what was I expecting, right?). It's like a beer cooler.

The mouthfeel is dominated by sweetness. It's also carbonated. A neat sensation at first, but I tire of it quickly. All this sugar (or aspartame or whatever) kills the drinkability. I think when I looked at this beer it reminded me of Fort--a beverage I've really enjoyed. Not that it's trying to compete with that, but this one pales in comparison. If you drink this, you should share it...but you could probably do without.

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

The beer poured from the bottle a light opaque reddish color with golden tones. Minimal off-white head that did not last. The many carbonation bubbles stayed long after the head disappeared. As this is a berry beer, the berry smell is very strong, almost like a sugary fruit punch. The first taste is similar. It has a very strong berry flavor, similar to a berry soft drink, with an underlying alcohol flavor. It feels light and bubbly in your mouth. For those who like berry or fruit beers, the taste is palatable, but those who don't will definitely not like this beer. If you are opposed to fruit beers, the "berry-ness" is undeniably overwhelming.

2.74/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: cloudy, 1/2 inch head, neon purple with a bit of red and brown in color, high carbonation, lots of lacing

Smell: berries: strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries

Taste: berries: strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries..some wheat

Mouthfeel: sticky sweet, light bodied, high carbonation

Drinkability: On a hot day I could have a couple, but this is kind of hard to finish on a cold day. It almost tastes more like a wine cooler. Sometimes the flavor is a bit too sweet. Leinies has way better beers in their offerings. Would not disgard this in their mix pack, but would never buy a six of it.

3.94/5  rDev +40.2%

Purple/copper in color. A nice white head with only decent retantion and size after an agressive pour.

Very fruity nose with distinct nose of raspberry and blackberry.

Rather sweet with a strong front of raspberries, blackberries and strawberries.

Very light and smooth. Nice and crisp. Not a very carbonated feel but not a flat beer by any means. Mouthfeel as well as body more like a cider than a typical beer.

Absolutely drinkable especially for those that are leery about beers tasting too bitter. Something I could enjoy on a nice summer night.

2.08/5  rDev -26%

Muddled pink color, no head. Aroma of corn syrup and nerds candy.

I hate to use the word disgusting, but it seems apt here. Wheat aspect is commendable, but the 'fruit' aspect, is questionable at best. Comes off more like a soda with some wheat to it, moreso than a 'beer'. This type of beer gives other fruit beers bad names. When people say cough syrup (although at least this is a 'thin' one) or kool aid beer, this kinda gives them some ammo to substantiate their claim.

Really no redeeming quality to this 'beer', other than the fact its not absolutely terrible, it just kinda sucks.

2.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Sweet-berry disaster in my opinion...way above and beyond the call of a fruit beer in that there's no trace of balance for the sweetness and little mouthfeel to balance the over-carbed fizziness...can be refreshing on first impression but the over sweet and bubbly taste and cloying swallow annoy me more with every sip...not recommended...

3.85/5  rDev +37%

Pretty amazing pink tinted hue going on, head was white with addition of berry juice and flavors it's pretty much a light cotton candy pink frothing thick head. Aroma has tart vinous berries, with an upfront acidic quality with raspberry/strawberry juice notes. Flavor is a mix of juicy fruit, tart berries, earthy citrus flavor it's actually well blended...I thought I would have hated it but it's actually like a decent alcopop at least flavorwise. Great tasting by beverage definition they're onto something here, this will sell. Mouthfeel effervescent carbonation is sturdy, I actually enjoyed the beer it's filled with flavor and berry notes. Lighter bodied in beer standards slightly dry acidity, nothing like a Belgian fruit ale, but damn good drinking fruit beer that I generally despise even when made by microbrewers. Overall, I'm not into these types of beer, but I like this one go ahead try it, you may actually enjoy it.

2.58/5  rDev -8.2%

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer has a rhubarb pale red clear body with a thin white head that is gone before I set the glass down.

S- The dry fruity notes of strawberry, raspberry and a hint of powdered sugar with a cherry finish.

T- The sweet strawberry fruit flavor has a faint wheat hint and a slight tart finish of cherry punch.

M- This beer has a very light mouthfeel with a fizzy texture.

D- This beer is sweet has fizzy. The fruit flavors are pretty natural but they need something to balance them.

2.89/5  rDev +2.8%

This one is a cloudy reddish-brown with an odd pinkish tint. A whitish head sits pretty thick for a little while at about two fingers and retains pretty well, leaving a little thin lacing around.
The aroma is...well, fruits. It's a bit artificial with a saccharine sweetness. A very light grains presence is barely detectable, but there's no malt or hops presence noted.
Fruits are all over the flavor as well, with a sugary sweetness and, again, lingering grains. Malts remain undetectable, though a light hops presence sits underneath.
The body is on the light side of medium and there's a crisp bite to it.
It's better than the mess I imagine a totally macro effort at a fruit beer would be, but average as it is.

2.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Visiting in Chicago the other day, we were in a bit of a rush heading to party so just stopping by the local grocer I grabbed a 6 pack and for whatever reason my buddy grabbed this.

At the party, I figured I had to at least give it a try. I really was shocked at how sweet it was. The flavors really didn't seem all that natural. I was able to stomach one, but that's about it.

2.73/5  rDev -2.8%

Review from notes.

A: Berry Weiss is a orange/pink color with a 2 finger white head upon pouring. The head fades slowly, but leaves at least a little bit on top for the entire time. Decent lacing.

S: Lots of sugary berries, hard to distinguish which ones though.

T: Extremely sweet. Heavy berry flavor, but very sugary. There is a bit of honey and some wheat. Hard to really pick anything else out above the sugary berry flavor.

M: Light to medium bodied with high carbonation. Finishes slightly sticky.

O: The sugary/sweetness keeps this beer from being very drinkable. I was happy enough to try it, but certainly did not want another one. I can see why some people might like this beer though.

2.45/5  rDev -12.8%

DATE REVIEWED: May 10, 2014... GLASSWARE: Lindeman's flute... OCCASION: NFL draft, day three--building the future (again)... APPEARANCE: slightly hazy, slightly bubbly light amber body with reasonably creamy white head; lacing forms icicles... AROMA: immediate raspberry that evokes cough syrup and Valentine's candy hearts... PALATE: a chiasmused mullet in mouthfeel--fizzy party up front, swift, flat drop at the throat; refreshing but also awkwardly lingering...TASTE: cranberry, raspberry, and malty--not offensive; like an Italian soda but extra sweet due to the malt; refreshing, but undesirably tart...OVERALLL: this is at home on the deck in the heat, or at a party where the other beer choices are pedestrian...not sessionable, and not worth a close-up here....

3.49/5  rDev +24.2%

Beer was poured from a 12 ounce bottle at approximately 43º. The beer poured with a nice head which dissipated in a couple of minutes and several small bubbles which went away quickly. Coloring was clear and light amber. There was no cloudiness as would be expected for a weiss beer.

Fruit which I would say was berry was very noticeable on the poor. This was verified with the inhalation of the aromas after the beer sat for a while. I was unable to detect much else do to the fruity aroma.

The taste was fruity and sweet and surprisingly pleasant. I had tasted this a few years ago on tap and though satisfied with its taste and sweetness I remember it as being syrupy. This was not bad but a little too much for my taste. The bottle this time did not exhibit those tendencies.

The taste keeps lingering and you constantly assess. Aftertaste hangs in there with the fruit starting and staying for a lengthy period of time.

This was better than I remembered from my previous tastes. I would not sit and drink this through a session because of the sweetness but would drink occasionally and mix with other Leinenkugel products as they suggest. I am surprised at my review rating.

4.47/5  rDev +59.1%

In my opinion this beer is great on a warm summer night or anytime during the summer. I work part-time at a beer distributor and have recommended this beer to customers and it seems to sell ok when we have it in stock. my friends also seem to enjoy it too.

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%

Half-inch foamy head on top of a hazy red-tinged orange color. No lace. Ho-hum.

All kinds of berry in the nose--obviously blackberry, but I could be tricked into believing there was raspberry and strawberry here. Even currant. Quite nice actually, but the fact I can't pick anything else out--like malt, hops, yeast, for example--doesn't bode well.

Flavor is as expected--total berry incarnate. With frothed milk and sugar. It's actually okay, but I'm still bothered by the fact that none of the traditional traits of beer are detected. Even the biggest, most extreme beers show their beer-iness in some way. With this I'm getting blackberry-creamsicle soda. I happen to love blackberry and any kind of creamsicle resemblance, so Leinie's Berry Weiss escapes this beer geek's wrath.

Mouthfeel lends a great slab of creaminess over the spritzy, soda-like texture. Pretty tart, almost pucker-inducing. Really liked this feature of the beer.

I don't know...should I commit hari-kari for liking this? I certainly wouldn't ever gravitate toward this given even mildly better choices, but it's not near as bad as I'd expected. And still not the hellish Boo-Berry soda that Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is. My German-beer-expert better-half says it tastes just like the German style this is derived from, and she would know. Give it a whirl.

1.76/5  rDev -37.4%

ADR summed this one up perfect. A train wreck in a bottle. Berries all over the place with nothing to constrain them. No balance, no drinkability. As ADR said, the berry flavor that seems interesting on the first sip, quickly becomes obnoxious. I just say "yuck".
BW looks like beer, but that is about it. More like one of those Jack Daniels coolers that my girlfriend drinks on occasion. She even said this wasn't bad, which spells disaster for any beer (as she is a swore beer hater). She and I are able to find middle ground in our relationship, other than our drinking patterns, but this beer should be avoided by everyone.
And I am from Wis, so I should be biased. But as a local, let me tell you to stay the hell away from this.

2.57/5  rDev -8.5%

A - Purple candy color....looks like kool-aide or something. The head starts at about a half finger, but leaves an extraordinary amount of lace. The head is a lighter shade of purple. Interesting, but a purple head?

S - Smells like a macro lager with sno-cone berry syrup.

T - Berry wine cooler with a bit more fizz. Better than a wine cooler, though...sort of a wine cooler for people who lean towards beer and away from wine. Very sweet and slighty bitter berry flavor.

M - Fizzy and thin. Alcopop territory.

D - Okay as long as you don't expect this to taste like beer....because this is more berry than beery.

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

A - dark reddish amber with a loose, bubbly, white head that has little retention

S - blackberries

T - tart, blackberries, juice-like but not as sugary or sweet

M - light bodied, well carbonated, crisp at times

This is a mediocre, simple fruit beer. If you like blackberries and a light bodied beer then this is a decent offering. If you're looking for something complex or full bodied, look elsewhere.

3.59/5  rDev +27.8%

Appearance: Think raspberry ice tea out of a drink fountain at McDonald's.

Smell: Extremely fruity. Raspberries and blackberries especially. Not a bad smell, but not a beer smell. I like it.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Ok, this stuff is not necessarily biter but, but fairly sour. Tastes like fruit punch and raspberry ice tea (see above). If you love berries, you might like this. Supreme smoothness and suprisingly thick...leaves a sugary residue in your mouth.

Drinkability: Considering it does not taste like alcohol at all, you can chug this stuff with no problem. (I did.)

Overall: Refreshing on cool to warm spring/fall afternoon. Definitely fits into Leinie's fruit obsession.

3.93/5  rDev +39.9%

Like raspberry soda. Sweet, fruity, and refreshing! My initial thought was that it reminded me of some of the over-sweet Belgian fruit-lambics... and for a mere fraction of the price! And then I thought of some of the other raspberry beers from Belgium that aren't nearly as full or complex, and this one beats them hands down! That said, it pours a pinkish and ruby orange body beneath a fluffy head of pink foam. The head retention is very good and it leaves some really nice rings of craggy lace at the outset of the glass. The nose is bright with sugary fruit (it acutally reminded me of Hawaiian-Punch a bit) and not much else. In the mouth it's medium-light bodied with a dextrinous edge; and delicately prickly with carbonation... kind of like soda. The flavor is exactly as the nose suggests, but with more of a "real" fruit character. It starts sweet and finishes sweet with a healthy dose of cleansing acidity across the middle. The bitterness is very low-key, for obvious reasons; and although it lingers a bit in the finish it's never overly sweet. Again, kind of like a raspberry soda. For this type of product, I think it's one oof the better ones I've had.

to view more.