1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Berry WeissLeinenkugel's Berry Weiss

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 982 | Reviews: 344 | Show All Ratings:
cdizinno

South Carolina

A: Dark cherry/amber. Fruit looking. Raspberry, all those berry fruit colors you might enjoy. Some lacing with a nice light tan/berry colored head.

S: Raspberry, blackberry, and all those berry fruits you might enjoy.

T&M: Light bodied, crisp and verry smooth. Berries, berries, berries.

Come on!!! This is not a science project. It is the most sessionable, high quality, berry beer you'll ever taste. This stuff is great for the price and for its main stream flavor. It's not too malty and it is definitely not cheap tasting. It's a quality berry flavored ale with mass appeal. If you like berry flavored anything, you'll love this. If not, don't try it!!!

04-07-2010 00:09:58 | More by cdizinno
MattM

4.93/5  rDev +75.4%

Without a doubt my favorite beer. It's 207 calories will scare some away but this is a damn refreshing and delicious beer. Those comparing it to kool aid or strawberry soda are obviously just against these types of beers. Made by Leinenkugel's, this is definitely a beer that was pridefully crafted. It is sweeter than your average beer but when you buy something called Berry Weiss that's to be expected. Strong notes of wild berries with a bit of a wheat aftertaste.

Great in bottles, even better in a frosty can or mug. Love it.

06-17-2012 18:51:06 | More by MattM
Generik420

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +65.5%

Berry Weiss is one of the better fruit beers available in my opinion. Until very recently it was only available in the summer months, but due to customer feedback, Leinenkugel is going to offer it year round now. I have had it in 12oz bottles and on tap. In a glass it has a pinkish color and you can really smell the berry flavors. Unlike most berry flavored beers, this one is on the sweeter side and not tart at all. It has a nice amount of carbonation, but very little head retention. Perfect for a hot afternoon to cool down, and equally suitable as a palate cleansing beer after drinking some high hopped or heavier styles.

07-31-2006 18:39:48 | More by Generik420
AshleyTaylor

4.65/5  rDev +65.5%

I'm a girl and what can I say, I like fruity drinks from time to time. But I also enjoy an ice cold beer as well. This brew offers me a little bit of both. The smooth berry brew has come to be one of my personal favorites and I would recommend you give this a try if you're looking for little something that the typical hops and barley combo doesn't offer.

06-01-2011 11:25:10 | More by AshleyTaylor
tkepx182

4.6/5  rDev +63.7%

This was an enjoyable beer. It tasted kind of dry, rather like champagne with the flavoring of berries and just a hint of carbonation. It lacked an after taste and had very little hoppy flavor. This was a very good beer from Leinenkugel and I will be very happy to buy it again.

05-10-2011 22:27:21 | More by tkepx182
DesMoinesMike

Iowa

4.5/5  rDev +60.1%

VERY impressive fruit beer.

I can say for certain this the best fruit beer I've had to date. It looks like a slightly dark wheat with strong head. The fruit aroma is pleasant, not overbearing at all. The taste is fantastic! It's a natural flavor that is welcomed uniformly on the pallet and goes down super smooth. I'm definitely getting more of this stuff. Great job Chippewa Falls!

08-01-2009 17:10:00 | More by DesMoinesMike
larshultqvist

Arkansas

4.47/5  rDev +59.1%

This is a very refreshing beer with a high drinkability. It is low in bitterness and high in sweetness. I love really bitter IPA:s but you can not judge this beer from that kind of perspective. This beer has got very low ratings on this site and I think it is unfair. There is definately room for this type of beer among the many different types you can try but try this with an open mind. I suspect that this beer has got low ratings on this site by people who are not really used to different types of beers. It is very different but has such a great and refreshing taste that I rank it high for it's originality.

02-07-2008 03:38:50 | More by larshultqvist
IrishCityBeer

4.47/5  rDev +59.1%

In my opinion this beer is great on a warm summer night or anytime during the summer. I work part-time at a beer distributor and have recommended this beer to customers and it seems to sell ok when we have it in stock. my friends also seem to enjoy it too.

07-27-2011 14:09:48 | More by IrishCityBeer
becktone

4.38/5  rDev +55.9%

Eye: Ok, so this is a first. The beer is pink! Its got fairly good head retention(at about 1/2 a finger) with some splotchy lacing...the head is an off white pinkish tinted color. Clear for a wheat beer, really you could say it looks like raspberry tea of lemonade, but just a tad clearer. Definitely looks good for the girly drink that it is. A bit more head would give it something more I think. Looks more like a wine cooler than a beer though. If you're in the mindset of wine cooler it looks great but in the mindset of beer it isn't all that appetizing to the eye, just too bright for what the general idea of beer is.

Nose: This beer is extremely potent. It has aromas of chiefly raspberries and strawberries. There is an overall soda sweet aroma in this brew. It also has a somewhat sour aroma-similiar to that of a framboise lambic. Not much of a wheat aroma here, but I believe that the nose of this beer is exactly what the brewmaster was going for. If you're going to make a fruit beer, well then go all the way and make it smell fruity.

Tongue: Well you can't flaw the brewer on this brew. It is most likely one of the best fruit beer's I've ever had. There is a full flavor profile of berries in this beer. Right up front the easily identifiable and right in your face berry flavor-again chiefly raspberry and strawberry-is followed by a nice wheat flavor which nicely balances out the "girlieness" of this beer. In my opinion this is the best fruit beer, even moreso the best wheat fruit beer, that I've ever drank. If one is going to make a fruit beer than make the fruit noticeable as is done here. I like the boldness of this beer. This beer captures the best of the wine cooler world-full fruit flavor and the best of the wheat beer world-the wheat flavor. It is a real nice blend of wine cooler and wheat beer-flavor wise.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: In the mouth this beer is spritzy, just like a wine cooler. Light and a highly carbonated body are perfect for this style of beer. Feels just right in the mouth. This beer is something that one has to be in the mood for. I think it would be very very refreshing on a hot summer day, it is something that I'll probably buy again, it might be a while, but I can assure you that sometime during the summer I'll be buying this beer again. If you are a fan of fruit beer that this is a must try. I won't be afraid to admit it. I like fruit beer, and this is one of the best I've ever had.

02-22-2007 21:54:07 | More by becktone
Schmidts

4.35/5  rDev +54.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the Bottle in a glass Mug was a cloudy amber red with 3/4 inch head that goes down to a 1/2 inch quickly.Smell of Berries, and fruit. This stuff tastes great, mixing Beer with Berries it is kind of a Berry Beer Soda with its carbonation! I myself can taste the beer of it but has a very nice amount of berry flavor,blackberry & Raspberry. Not to sweet either as I have had some that are so sweet it is ruined this one is great. It is highly Refreshing in your Mouth and it is very drinkable drank 3 in a row would have had another but time to go to bed! If you want to try this type of Beer this is the one to try not high priced, but High quality and great flavor!
Leinenkugel has hit a Home run with this one.
'Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food'

08-27-2008 13:23:49 | More by Schmidts
jasonjlewis

4.33/5  rDev +54.1%

This beer is probably underrated because it's a leine's. However, I really liked it. A lot of fruit beers are pussy on putting fruit in. Sometimes malts come out and then there is a hint of fruit. If you make a fruit beer, make the fruit come out. I like it. This beer had great beery flavor. There wasn't a whole lot going on with it. It was simple and to the point. It's a good tasting beer and I'm not surprised that it got Gold at the GABF.

Again I reviewed this using my cell phone for notes. Sorry I can't give more detailed reviews for the past few beers and this one.

10-14-2007 23:19:39 | More by jasonjlewis
ChoqlitStout

4.3/5  rDev +53%

A: The beer pours pink! It's got a thin head that dissolves really quickly, so it looks more like champagne than beer.

S: It smells sweet like fruit. Maybe aromatic hops? Mmmmm...

T: Ok, so the beer doesn't really taste like a beer. I haven't tasted enough rasberry beers to know if they really taste like beer, so I'm not going to knock it for that. Not as much carbonation as a Miller Lite, but more than your average beer.

I really like the fruity sweet-tart taste to this beer. I could drink it all day, especially in the summer.

02-04-2008 19:26:29 | More by ChoqlitStout
RickS95

Indiana

4.28/5  rDev +52.3%

I never was a fruity wheat kind of beer drinker, but as I've gotten older, my palate seems to have changed and now I seem to enjoy any kind of beer.

This beer scared me at first. I was told it has an overpowering berry taste to it, and I was reluctant to get it. However, I had heard the same thing about Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, yet I found that beer to be exceptional.

I had the beer in the bottle so I have no idea what it looks like, though I'm guessing something purpley-pinkish.

It smells like you would expect...very berry, and not at all like a beer.

In your mouth, you can feel the burn of the carbonation, but it's very refreshing at the same time.

There is no hint of bitter in the aftertaste, only berries.

Instead of a beer flavored with berries, it tastes more like a wine coolers flavored with a hint of beer. That's not a bad thing, but not everyone will like this beer because of it.

I enjoyed my first bottle after a long round of golf in the hot sun. It really was refreshing and totally hit the spot for me.

08-25-2008 20:33:33 | More by RickS95
CNeilP09

Georgia

4.25/5  rDev +51.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss. I grabbed a sixer of this on my way out of work the other day for my girlfriend to try. Yeah yeah yeah. i know. you think i'm trying to pawn this off on her. but really, she likes flavored beers from time to time, so i thought she'd like to try this. Of course, i grabbed a swig from her first beer, and ended up splitting the pack with her. This stuff is really good! It pours a rich garnet, clear ruby color, with a surprisingly thick 1/2 inch head. it doesn't have the most appealing smell, kind of fleetingly sweet and a bit funky, but nothing unappetizing. Tastes like juicy blackberries in a bowl of cereal. not overbearing, light enough to want another several. tastes great while dipping copenhagen snuff. the bittersweet balance is mouthwatering. as far as mouthfeel, it's creamy, slightly overcarbonated, but has a nice dry finish--where the cereal flavors come in. Good Beer. Get a sixer for your girlfriend and drink it for her.

07-17-2006 05:25:10 | More by CNeilP09
hdofu

Maryland

4.22/5  rDev +50.2%

Wow is this really beer it almost taste like a smirnoff ice rasberry malt cooler. I find it one of the easiest things in the beer category to drink although it is so sweet it is almost a desert. Smell is like a cider almost. Mouthfeel is kind of bleh, not bubbly enough.

12-01-2009 03:48:36 | More by hdofu
Stunner97

4.22/5  rDev +50.2%

Appearance- pour a redish/pink color with very thick white head that has long retention, very low to any carbonation to be seen, nice unusual appearance

Smell- wheat notes dominated by blackberry and blueberry like smell on nose,very fruity nose

Taste- okay the taste on this one is pretty good better even then i think the nose, and better then i was expecting, has a lot sweetness up front but a very nice tart finish really keeping things in a nice check, i really like the sweet and sour aspect of this beer, its a very enjoyable flavor profile to me and i think alot people non beer too would like that flavor, reminds me of some different lambic kind of fruit beers i have had often at much higher prices,

Mouthfeel- medium bodied and rather creamy and pretty smooth feel

Drinkabillity- overall i found this beer to beer very drinkable and enjoyable, not sure if something i could pound all night but certainly a rather unique and tasty beer offering, i think this beer would be very well like by alot of my friends that are even non beer drinkers which can be nice to have around for when they would be around, overall wound up finding myself pleasantly surprised by this one,

Serving type: can

05-10-2011 04:46:30 | More by Stunner97
znarf

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +49.5%

Here is a fun change for those who like to challenge their beer taste buds. As a surprise this beer comes off like a wine cooler. Get past the, “this is too sweet to be beer” and enjoy the enveloping berry flavor. Try it on your favorite female companion and get her opinion. A man drink Leinenkugel Berry Weiss is like man driving a Mozda Miata or wearing a kilt. Just let go, be free and enjoy the experience….

06-21-2006 03:45:39 | More by znarf
Corvato

North Dakota

4.2/5  rDev +49.5%

1st, let me put you strait. I am not terribly fond of standard beer, I love sweet and sour drinks, but most beers i find are either bitter or skunky, neither of which i care for.

Appearance - pouring into a pilsner, looks like a purple wine, not really a beer, however it does give a fairly good head, and distinct lacing.

Aroma - smells like a sweet drink, closer to juice than beer.

Taste - sort of like you take a light beer and put some juice in it. has some beer flavor, but not significant. if you don't really care for most beers, you might like it. I did.

Mouthfeel - feels foamy and light, what i prefer.

Drinkability - even someone who doesn't usually care for beer, I could drink several fairly quickly without realizing its beer.

09-14-2008 16:42:31 | More by Corvato
tjd112

4.15/5  rDev +47.7%

I purchased this at a Hyvee in Omaha, Nebraska. The beer has a dark pink body with a white head. The aroma and taste are berries, berries, and more berries with some wheat thrown in. Mouthfeel is kinda light, but also crisp. This is the beer that got me out of malternatives, and will never go back. Very drinkable if you like fruity malt beverages that still can be called beer.

01-31-2010 21:03:25 | More by tjd112
DrZarkov

4.1/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

When you first pour this stuff its a very red color. It's appearance is a little strange, sort of like a light fizzy cranberry juice or something.
Smell was good, but nothing out standing.
As for the taste, very impressive. It is quite sweet (some might want to try cutting it down by mixing it with honey weiss if its too sweet for their taste,) however its still not nearly as sweet as most of the malted fruit-flavored beers. Although others have said so, I think it is certainly not like a wine cooler. It reminds me a bit of some of the sweeter red wines.
Overall an excellent beer. Quite refreshing compared to most beers, in my opinion.

11-18-2005 21:22:16 | More by DrZarkov
tgbljb

4.1/5  rDev +45.9%

Poured a hazy red color with large white puffy head. Smell is sweetish with mild berry scents in the foreground. Taste shows some weiis beer characteristics with some pleasnt berry undertones present. Finishes nice and refreshing. While not my favorite style of beer, I found this one to be a nice summer afternoon change-of-pace brew.

08-20-2006 20:36:18 | More by tgbljb
BACTAdam

4.08/5  rDev +45.2%

A- Pours the color of watermelon with a large foamy head that lingers nicely with some lacing.

S- You can smell this beer across the room. Strong berry scent, not surprising.

T- Maybe not the popular opinion but I loved the taste. Had a fragrant, almost sour taste that reminded me very much of lingenberry soda that you can buy at IKEA. But despite its strong berry, almost fruit wine taste, I sensed some hints of wheat, almost bready or doughy at the back of the tongue. Slightly more complex than I was expecting.

M- Pretty good. Not a whole lot to note here except its almost wine cooler type mouthfeel.

D- Quite drinkable if you're into the fruit beers.

Overall, considerably better than most reviews here would lead you to believe (in my opinion). Leinenkugal's makes a nice product.

03-14-2008 00:55:31 | More by BACTAdam
goneDutch

4.08/5  rDev +45.2%

This is a summer beer that doesn't taste like regular beers. It's for hot days when in Europe a lot of people start switching to pink wine, this is the beer equivalent.

In the Netherlands I would drink Hoegaarden Rosée, this comes close in quality and level of refreshment.

In europe aften called a girl beer, lots of guys drink it too. Refreshing beer, that is anything but a traditional beer. For that, yes, it's way too sweet.

07-06-2012 21:05:33 | More by goneDutch
DrDemento456

4.05/5  rDev +44.1%

Easily one of my favorite beers. Sometime you want a little flavored beer now and again.

A - Pretty average pinkish lemonade like color.
S - The berry smell is awesome in this beer. Almost too good.
T - Man what a treat of a beer! Berry delicious with just a hint of sour. Like a poor mans lambic.
M - Watery but full bodied.
D - I could easily slam a six pack without thinking twice. It really does have a "light beer" tone to it so you really don't notice its around 5 percent.

Overall I used to get this by the case but now I tend to try better things. Really a good beer and I would agree that if your in the mood for a fruit beer and don't want too much sour crack open a Leine!

12-12-2009 08:41:19 | More by DrDemento456
NODAK

Tennessee

4.05/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I hadn't had this in a while, but I still laughed when the girl who sold me it said it tasted JUST like grape juice. So I popped the top...and it smells just like red grape juice. Did Welch's make this??

The taste isn't too much of a surprise. Pretty dang sweet...definitely on par with any wine cooler. Definitely a grape presence with raspberries also in there...maybe blackberries as well. In the finish, the wheat does appear in the back along with a good tart twang from the berries that tempers it from being too overwhelmingly sweet on the finish.

It isn't a complicated beer. If you're grabbing this one, you need to be prepared for perhaps the sweetest beer you've had in quite some time. I'll admit I did enjoy it as a change. Not every beer needs to be hyper bitter...this is a decent change-up.

04-17-2011 01:05:26 | More by NODAK