2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Berry WeissLeinenkugel's Berry Weiss

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 987 | Reviews: 345 | Show All Ratings:
jasonjlewis

4.33/5  rDev +54.1%

This beer is probably underrated because it's a leine's. However, I really liked it. A lot of fruit beers are pussy on putting fruit in. Sometimes malts come out and then there is a hint of fruit. If you make a fruit beer, make the fruit come out. I like it. This beer had great beery flavor. There wasn't a whole lot going on with it. It was simple and to the point. It's a good tasting beer and I'm not surprised that it got Gold at the GABF.

Again I reviewed this using my cell phone for notes. Sorry I can't give more detailed reviews for the past few beers and this one.

10-14-2007 23:19:39 | More by jasonjlewis
ChoqlitStout

4.3/5  rDev +53%

A: The beer pours pink! It's got a thin head that dissolves really quickly, so it looks more like champagne than beer.

S: It smells sweet like fruit. Maybe aromatic hops? Mmmmm...

T: Ok, so the beer doesn't really taste like a beer. I haven't tasted enough rasberry beers to know if they really taste like beer, so I'm not going to knock it for that. Not as much carbonation as a Miller Lite, but more than your average beer.

I really like the fruity sweet-tart taste to this beer. I could drink it all day, especially in the summer.

02-04-2008 19:26:29 | More by ChoqlitStout
RickS95

Indiana

4.28/5  rDev +52.3%

I never was a fruity wheat kind of beer drinker, but as I've gotten older, my palate seems to have changed and now I seem to enjoy any kind of beer.

This beer scared me at first. I was told it has an overpowering berry taste to it, and I was reluctant to get it. However, I had heard the same thing about Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, yet I found that beer to be exceptional.

I had the beer in the bottle so I have no idea what it looks like, though I'm guessing something purpley-pinkish.

It smells like you would expect...very berry, and not at all like a beer.

In your mouth, you can feel the burn of the carbonation, but it's very refreshing at the same time.

There is no hint of bitter in the aftertaste, only berries.

Instead of a beer flavored with berries, it tastes more like a wine coolers flavored with a hint of beer. That's not a bad thing, but not everyone will like this beer because of it.

I enjoyed my first bottle after a long round of golf in the hot sun. It really was refreshing and totally hit the spot for me.

08-25-2008 20:33:33 | More by RickS95
CNeilP09

Georgia

4.25/5  rDev +51.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss. I grabbed a sixer of this on my way out of work the other day for my girlfriend to try. Yeah yeah yeah. i know. you think i'm trying to pawn this off on her. but really, she likes flavored beers from time to time, so i thought she'd like to try this. Of course, i grabbed a swig from her first beer, and ended up splitting the pack with her. This stuff is really good! It pours a rich garnet, clear ruby color, with a surprisingly thick 1/2 inch head. it doesn't have the most appealing smell, kind of fleetingly sweet and a bit funky, but nothing unappetizing. Tastes like juicy blackberries in a bowl of cereal. not overbearing, light enough to want another several. tastes great while dipping copenhagen snuff. the bittersweet balance is mouthwatering. as far as mouthfeel, it's creamy, slightly overcarbonated, but has a nice dry finish--where the cereal flavors come in. Good Beer. Get a sixer for your girlfriend and drink it for her.

07-17-2006 05:25:10 | More by CNeilP09
hdofu

Maryland

4.22/5  rDev +50.2%

Wow is this really beer it almost taste like a smirnoff ice rasberry malt cooler. I find it one of the easiest things in the beer category to drink although it is so sweet it is almost a desert. Smell is like a cider almost. Mouthfeel is kind of bleh, not bubbly enough.

12-01-2009 03:48:36 | More by hdofu
Stunner97

4.22/5  rDev +50.2%

Appearance- pour a redish/pink color with very thick white head that has long retention, very low to any carbonation to be seen, nice unusual appearance

Smell- wheat notes dominated by blackberry and blueberry like smell on nose,very fruity nose

Taste- okay the taste on this one is pretty good better even then i think the nose, and better then i was expecting, has a lot sweetness up front but a very nice tart finish really keeping things in a nice check, i really like the sweet and sour aspect of this beer, its a very enjoyable flavor profile to me and i think alot people non beer too would like that flavor, reminds me of some different lambic kind of fruit beers i have had often at much higher prices,

Mouthfeel- medium bodied and rather creamy and pretty smooth feel

Drinkabillity- overall i found this beer to beer very drinkable and enjoyable, not sure if something i could pound all night but certainly a rather unique and tasty beer offering, i think this beer would be very well like by alot of my friends that are even non beer drinkers which can be nice to have around for when they would be around, overall wound up finding myself pleasantly surprised by this one,

Serving type: can

05-10-2011 04:46:30 | More by Stunner97
znarf

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +49.5%

Here is a fun change for those who like to challenge their beer taste buds. As a surprise this beer comes off like a wine cooler. Get past the, “this is too sweet to be beer” and enjoy the enveloping berry flavor. Try it on your favorite female companion and get her opinion. A man drink Leinenkugel Berry Weiss is like man driving a Mozda Miata or wearing a kilt. Just let go, be free and enjoy the experience….

06-21-2006 03:45:39 | More by znarf
Corvato

North Dakota

4.2/5  rDev +49.5%

1st, let me put you strait. I am not terribly fond of standard beer, I love sweet and sour drinks, but most beers i find are either bitter or skunky, neither of which i care for.

Appearance - pouring into a pilsner, looks like a purple wine, not really a beer, however it does give a fairly good head, and distinct lacing.

Aroma - smells like a sweet drink, closer to juice than beer.

Taste - sort of like you take a light beer and put some juice in it. has some beer flavor, but not significant. if you don't really care for most beers, you might like it. I did.

Mouthfeel - feels foamy and light, what i prefer.

Drinkability - even someone who doesn't usually care for beer, I could drink several fairly quickly without realizing its beer.

09-14-2008 16:42:31 | More by Corvato
tjd112

4.15/5  rDev +47.7%

I purchased this at a Hyvee in Omaha, Nebraska. The beer has a dark pink body with a white head. The aroma and taste are berries, berries, and more berries with some wheat thrown in. Mouthfeel is kinda light, but also crisp. This is the beer that got me out of malternatives, and will never go back. Very drinkable if you like fruity malt beverages that still can be called beer.

01-31-2010 21:03:25 | More by tjd112
DrZarkov

4.1/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

When you first pour this stuff its a very red color. It's appearance is a little strange, sort of like a light fizzy cranberry juice or something.
Smell was good, but nothing out standing.
As for the taste, very impressive. It is quite sweet (some might want to try cutting it down by mixing it with honey weiss if its too sweet for their taste,) however its still not nearly as sweet as most of the malted fruit-flavored beers. Although others have said so, I think it is certainly not like a wine cooler. It reminds me a bit of some of the sweeter red wines.
Overall an excellent beer. Quite refreshing compared to most beers, in my opinion.

11-18-2005 21:22:16 | More by DrZarkov
tgbljb

4.1/5  rDev +45.9%

Poured a hazy red color with large white puffy head. Smell is sweetish with mild berry scents in the foreground. Taste shows some weiis beer characteristics with some pleasnt berry undertones present. Finishes nice and refreshing. While not my favorite style of beer, I found this one to be a nice summer afternoon change-of-pace brew.

08-20-2006 20:36:18 | More by tgbljb
BACTAdam

4.08/5  rDev +45.2%

A- Pours the color of watermelon with a large foamy head that lingers nicely with some lacing.

S- You can smell this beer across the room. Strong berry scent, not surprising.

T- Maybe not the popular opinion but I loved the taste. Had a fragrant, almost sour taste that reminded me very much of lingenberry soda that you can buy at IKEA. But despite its strong berry, almost fruit wine taste, I sensed some hints of wheat, almost bready or doughy at the back of the tongue. Slightly more complex than I was expecting.

M- Pretty good. Not a whole lot to note here except its almost wine cooler type mouthfeel.

D- Quite drinkable if you're into the fruit beers.

Overall, considerably better than most reviews here would lead you to believe (in my opinion). Leinenkugal's makes a nice product.

03-14-2008 00:55:31 | More by BACTAdam
goneDutch

4.08/5  rDev +45.2%

This is a summer beer that doesn't taste like regular beers. It's for hot days when in Europe a lot of people start switching to pink wine, this is the beer equivalent.

In the Netherlands I would drink Hoegaarden Rosée, this comes close in quality and level of refreshment.

In europe aften called a girl beer, lots of guys drink it too. Refreshing beer, that is anything but a traditional beer. For that, yes, it's way too sweet.

07-06-2012 21:05:33 | More by goneDutch
DrDemento456

4.05/5  rDev +44.1%

Easily one of my favorite beers. Sometime you want a little flavored beer now and again.

A - Pretty average pinkish lemonade like color.
S - The berry smell is awesome in this beer. Almost too good.
T - Man what a treat of a beer! Berry delicious with just a hint of sour. Like a poor mans lambic.
M - Watery but full bodied.
D - I could easily slam a six pack without thinking twice. It really does have a "light beer" tone to it so you really don't notice its around 5 percent.

Overall I used to get this by the case but now I tend to try better things. Really a good beer and I would agree that if your in the mood for a fruit beer and don't want too much sour crack open a Leine!

12-12-2009 08:41:19 | More by DrDemento456
NODAK

Tennessee

4.05/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I hadn't had this in a while, but I still laughed when the girl who sold me it said it tasted JUST like grape juice. So I popped the top...and it smells just like red grape juice. Did Welch's make this??

The taste isn't too much of a surprise. Pretty dang sweet...definitely on par with any wine cooler. Definitely a grape presence with raspberries also in there...maybe blackberries as well. In the finish, the wheat does appear in the back along with a good tart twang from the berries that tempers it from being too overwhelmingly sweet on the finish.

It isn't a complicated beer. If you're grabbing this one, you need to be prepared for perhaps the sweetest beer you've had in quite some time. I'll admit I did enjoy it as a change. Not every beer needs to be hyper bitter...this is a decent change-up.

04-17-2011 01:05:26 | More by NODAK
EnojysAnyBeer

Colorado

4.03/5  rDev +43.4%

Tastes like sweet berry and feels good and viscous in the mouth

A- Didn't pour out of the bottle although I assume it would look sorta like a pale ale

S- Smelled good and sorta like berries

T- I enjoyed the taste of the beer. It is mostly berries but not overpowering with some malts in the background.

M- I love the mouthfeel of sweet beers and wines. This one is no exception. full-bodied and velvety smooth on the tongue with not much carbonation.

D- Drinks OK. I never like to drink too many fruit beers.

05-04-2008 02:59:22 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
Lemke10

Wisconsin

I bought a 12pk Summer Sampler cans from Woodman's in Janesville, WI in spring 2011.

Poours a reddish amber color with a thin head on it. Great cranberry scent that reminds me very much of Ocean Spray. Very strong cranberry taste as well. Drinks rather smooth and has a great taste. I can understand why many BA's rate this beer rather low as it doesn't taste anything like a beer and more like a cranberry malternative. No real beer taste here but I enjoyed it. Something great to try this summer!

Serving type: can

04-12-2011 03:24:52 | More by Lemke10
Portertime

3.98/5  rDev +41.6%

I like this beer, it isn't overly sweet like a lot of fruit beer. I had this beer in a pint glass and a refridgerated temperature. Pours a mild golden color. Smells of blue berries, ripe raspberries, not toobad. Tastes just the same but toned down a little. Smooth and fairly easy drinking.

04-18-2008 21:23:03 | More by Portertime
Gunnz

Rhode Island

3.95/5  rDev +40.6%

Purple/copper in color. A nice white head with only decent retantion and size after an agressive pour.

Very fruity nose with distinct nose of raspberry and blackberry.

Rather sweet with a strong front of raspberries, blackberries and strawberries.

Very light and smooth. Nice and crisp. Not a very carbonated feel but not a flat beer by any means. Mouthfeel as well as body more like a cider than a typical beer.

Absolutely drinkable especially for those that are leery about beers tasting too bitter. Something I could enjoy on a nice summer night.

05-21-2008 04:21:44 | More by Gunnz
bcgoldtoe

3.95/5  rDev +40.6%

A: Beautiful red color, one finger head, but dissipates rapidly

S: Delicious. Like freshly picked blackberries.

T: Like a smoothie. It's very fruity but also retains a note of hops. A little bitter but that's from the fruit, not the hops.

M: Watery but pleasing to the palate.

D: this is a sipping beer, not a guzzling one. Two would suffice; three would be too much sweetness.

06-18-2008 19:47:28 | More by bcgoldtoe
kshankar

District of Columbia

3.95/5  rDev +40.6%

Appearance: Pink, orange, purple, some weird blend of colors, with a decent head. Nice looking foam. Appearance isn't bad, just something out of the ordinary for beer.

Aroma: Berries are VERY strong in this. Fruity which was the intent, obviously

Taste: Rather syrupy and the berries are predominant. A little much, I'd say, a lambic might not be this syrupy. Not bad, though.

Mouthfeel: Light, kind of crisp, but not too much. Body isn't too heavy, but its not meant to be.

Drinkability: Fruity and light, so it would work out for many people who aren't too fond of the taste of beer. Its a beer for those who don't like beer. Does that job well. I'm not the target consumer for this style, but I wouldn't mind a couple.

10-13-2008 05:43:55 | More by kshankar
clvand0

Kentucky

3.93/5  rDev +39.9%

This one pours a dark pink color with an off-white head that dies off quickly and doesn't leave behind much lacing. Pretty. Very sweet aroma of raspberries, but not tart at all. The malts and hops don't come through well because of the strenght of the fruit. The flavor is the same as the aroma. Lots of sweet raspberry taste with just a hint of beer in the back. Good and extremely easy to drink. It's just not very beer-like.

11-15-2004 20:02:25 | More by clvand0
NeroFiddled

3.93/5  rDev +39.9%

Like raspberry soda. Sweet, fruity, and refreshing! My initial thought was that it reminded me of some of the over-sweet Belgian fruit-lambics... and for a mere fraction of the price! And then I thought of some of the other raspberry beers from Belgium that aren't nearly as full or complex, and this one beats them hands down! That said, it pours a pinkish and ruby orange body beneath a fluffy head of pink foam. The head retention is very good and it leaves some really nice rings of craggy lace at the outset of the glass. The nose is bright with sugary fruit (it acutally reminded me of Hawaiian-Punch a bit) and not much else. In the mouth it's medium-light bodied with a dextrinous edge; and delicately prickly with carbonation... kind of like soda. The flavor is exactly as the nose suggests, but with more of a "real" fruit character. It starts sweet and finishes sweet with a healthy dose of cleansing acidity across the middle. The bitterness is very low-key, for obvious reasons; and although it lingers a bit in the finish it's never overly sweet. Again, kind of like a raspberry soda. For this type of product, I think it's one oof the better ones I've had.

01-25-2007 00:12:38 | More by NeroFiddled
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.9/5  rDev +38.8%

Bought locally at Poplar Wine & Spirits.

It pours a clear reddsh amber with a 1 finger head of foam. There's some good lacing and the head retention is good.

The smell is big on the berries that kind of remind me of a Lindemans. I like fruit beers so the nose is impressive to me.

The taste is nice. Big flavour of raspberry and a good note of blackberry with some honey and overall, it's quite sweet but it suits my palate nicely.

Good medium to medium thick mouthfeel for the most part but it does border on syrupy near the finish.

This is a good fruit beer that, imo, doesn't have a whole lot of complexity going on but I don't look for that in every beer I try. It's simple, and it's good.

06-08-2008 16:39:32 | More by Bitterbill
DannyDan

3.9/5  rDev +38.8%

Pours out a reddish color with a thin pinkish white head. Carbonation is moderate, little retention and little lacing.
The smell is blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, honey and wheat.
This has a strong berry taste followed by some honey,wheat and a little bit of hops. Also has a berry flavored syrup taste that reminds me of fruit flavored pop, but the alcohol reminds me of some wines.
The mouthfeel is a sweet sticky feel on the lips and tongue.
I'd say this is a nice drinkable beer and worth checking out for those that like fruit flavored beer.

12-30-2010 07:20:13 | More by DannyDan