Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
ksiazewski

4.75/5  rDev +69%

05-19-2012 03:39:59 | More by ksiazewski
Generik420

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +65.5%

Berry Weiss is one of the better fruit beers available in my opinion. Until very recently it was only available in the summer months, but due to customer feedback, Leinenkugel is going to offer it year round now. I have had it in 12oz bottles and on tap. In a glass it has a pinkish color and you can really smell the berry flavors. Unlike most berry flavored beers, this one is on the sweeter side and not tart at all. It has a nice amount of carbonation, but very little head retention. Perfect for a hot afternoon to cool down, and equally suitable as a palate cleansing beer after drinking some high hopped or heavier styles.

07-31-2006 18:39:48 | More by Generik420
AshleyTaylor

4.65/5  rDev +65.5%

I'm a girl and what can I say, I like fruity drinks from time to time. But I also enjoy an ice cold beer as well. This brew offers me a little bit of both. The smooth berry brew has come to be one of my personal favorites and I would recommend you give this a try if you're looking for little something that the typical hops and barley combo doesn't offer.

06-01-2011 11:25:10 | More by AshleyTaylor
tkepx182

4.6/5  rDev +63.7%

This was an enjoyable beer. It tasted kind of dry, rather like champagne with the flavoring of berries and just a hint of carbonation. It lacked an after taste and had very little hoppy flavor. This was a very good beer from Leinenkugel and I will be very happy to buy it again.

05-10-2011 22:27:21 | More by tkepx182

01-17-2013 05:30:34 | More by BrownAleMale
DesMoinesMike

Iowa

4.5/5  rDev +60.1%

VERY impressive fruit beer.

I can say for certain this the best fruit beer I've had to date. It looks like a slightly dark wheat with strong head. The fruit aroma is pleasant, not overbearing at all. The taste is fantastic! It's a natural flavor that is welcomed uniformly on the pallet and goes down super smooth. I'm definitely getting more of this stuff. Great job Chippewa Falls!

08-01-2009 17:10:00 | More by DesMoinesMike
IrishCityBeer

4.47/5  rDev +59.1%

In my opinion this beer is great on a warm summer night or anytime during the summer. I work part-time at a beer distributor and have recommended this beer to customers and it seems to sell ok when we have it in stock. my friends also seem to enjoy it too.

07-27-2011 14:09:48 | More by IrishCityBeer
larshultqvist

Arkansas

4.47/5  rDev +59.1%

This is a very refreshing beer with a high drinkability. It is low in bitterness and high in sweetness. I love really bitter IPA:s but you can not judge this beer from that kind of perspective. This beer has got very low ratings on this site and I think it is unfair. There is definately room for this type of beer among the many different types you can try but try this with an open mind. I suspect that this beer has got low ratings on this site by people who are not really used to different types of beers. It is very different but has such a great and refreshing taste that I rank it high for it's originality.

02-07-2008 03:38:50 | More by larshultqvist
becktone

4.38/5  rDev +55.9%

Eye: Ok, so this is a first. The beer is pink! Its got fairly good head retention(at about 1/2 a finger) with some splotchy lacing...the head is an off white pinkish tinted color. Clear for a wheat beer, really you could say it looks like raspberry tea of lemonade, but just a tad clearer. Definitely looks good for the girly drink that it is. A bit more head would give it something more I think. Looks more like a wine cooler than a beer though. If you're in the mindset of wine cooler it looks great but in the mindset of beer it isn't all that appetizing to the eye, just too bright for what the general idea of beer is.

Nose: This beer is extremely potent. It has aromas of chiefly raspberries and strawberries. There is an overall soda sweet aroma in this brew. It also has a somewhat sour aroma-similiar to that of a framboise lambic. Not much of a wheat aroma here, but I believe that the nose of this beer is exactly what the brewmaster was going for. If you're going to make a fruit beer, well then go all the way and make it smell fruity.

Tongue: Well you can't flaw the brewer on this brew. It is most likely one of the best fruit beer's I've ever had. There is a full flavor profile of berries in this beer. Right up front the easily identifiable and right in your face berry flavor-again chiefly raspberry and strawberry-is followed by a nice wheat flavor which nicely balances out the "girlieness" of this beer. In my opinion this is the best fruit beer, even moreso the best wheat fruit beer, that I've ever drank. If one is going to make a fruit beer than make the fruit noticeable as is done here. I like the boldness of this beer. This beer captures the best of the wine cooler world-full fruit flavor and the best of the wheat beer world-the wheat flavor. It is a real nice blend of wine cooler and wheat beer-flavor wise.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: In the mouth this beer is spritzy, just like a wine cooler. Light and a highly carbonated body are perfect for this style of beer. Feels just right in the mouth. This beer is something that one has to be in the mood for. I think it would be very very refreshing on a hot summer day, it is something that I'll probably buy again, it might be a while, but I can assure you that sometime during the summer I'll be buying this beer again. If you are a fan of fruit beer that this is a must try. I won't be afraid to admit it. I like fruit beer, and this is one of the best I've ever had.

02-22-2007 21:54:07 | More by becktone
Schmidts

4.35/5  rDev +54.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the Bottle in a glass Mug was a cloudy amber red with 3/4 inch head that goes down to a 1/2 inch quickly.Smell of Berries, and fruit. This stuff tastes great, mixing Beer with Berries it is kind of a Berry Beer Soda with its carbonation! I myself can taste the beer of it but has a very nice amount of berry flavor,blackberry & Raspberry. Not to sweet either as I have had some that are so sweet it is ruined this one is great. It is highly Refreshing in your Mouth and it is very drinkable drank 3 in a row would have had another but time to go to bed! If you want to try this type of Beer this is the one to try not high priced, but High quality and great flavor!
Leinenkugel has hit a Home run with this one.
'Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food'

08-27-2008 13:23:49 | More by Schmidts
jasonjlewis

4.33/5  rDev +54.1%

This beer is probably underrated because it's a leine's. However, I really liked it. A lot of fruit beers are pussy on putting fruit in. Sometimes malts come out and then there is a hint of fruit. If you make a fruit beer, make the fruit come out. I like it. This beer had great beery flavor. There wasn't a whole lot going on with it. It was simple and to the point. It's a good tasting beer and I'm not surprised that it got Gold at the GABF.

Again I reviewed this using my cell phone for notes. Sorry I can't give more detailed reviews for the past few beers and this one.

10-14-2007 23:19:39 | More by jasonjlewis
ChoqlitStout

4.3/5  rDev +53%

A: The beer pours pink! It's got a thin head that dissolves really quickly, so it looks more like champagne than beer.

S: It smells sweet like fruit. Maybe aromatic hops? Mmmmm...

T: Ok, so the beer doesn't really taste like a beer. I haven't tasted enough rasberry beers to know if they really taste like beer, so I'm not going to knock it for that. Not as much carbonation as a Miller Lite, but more than your average beer.

I really like the fruity sweet-tart taste to this beer. I could drink it all day, especially in the summer.

02-04-2008 19:26:29 | More by ChoqlitStout
RickS95

Indiana

4.28/5  rDev +52.3%

I never was a fruity wheat kind of beer drinker, but as I've gotten older, my palate seems to have changed and now I seem to enjoy any kind of beer.

This beer scared me at first. I was told it has an overpowering berry taste to it, and I was reluctant to get it. However, I had heard the same thing about Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, yet I found that beer to be exceptional.

I had the beer in the bottle so I have no idea what it looks like, though I'm guessing something purpley-pinkish.

It smells like you would expect...very berry, and not at all like a beer.

In your mouth, you can feel the burn of the carbonation, but it's very refreshing at the same time.

There is no hint of bitter in the aftertaste, only berries.

Instead of a beer flavored with berries, it tastes more like a wine coolers flavored with a hint of beer. That's not a bad thing, but not everyone will like this beer because of it.

I enjoyed my first bottle after a long round of golf in the hot sun. It really was refreshing and totally hit the spot for me.

08-25-2008 20:33:33 | More by RickS95