Join our email list →

Fruit / Vegetable Beer | 4.70% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002

Reviews: 370 | Hads: 1,275
2.01/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Out of a bottle this beer was a murky brown-pink color with a huge three-finger head of slightly pink foam. It left very good lacing and the retention was pretty good as a thin collar.. The aroma was all raspberries and strawberries and a candy-like sweetness. The flavors were very, very sweet. Cloying, in your-face, too-much sweet. Getting beyond the sweetness was difficult and all I could really discern beyond that was some sourness and an awkward, artificial aftertaste. The body was medium/light and the carbonation a little too high. I don't know what they were shooting for here but they totally missed the mark.

1.96/5  rDev -32.6%

Another one of my least favorite beer styles. This one was too berry and way too sweet tasting for me. It had a small white creamy head with fine sized bubbles. The body was cloudy with carbonation observed and the hue was berry. The nose was heavily berry and the taste was very sweet, tart, sour and tangy. The mouthfeel was tingly, smooth with a thin-watery texture and light bodied. There was a fair amount of lacing with this beer.

1.95/5  rDev -33%

Appearance - Fruit punch color. Kinda cloudy. Soapy pinkish foam with some staying power. Leaves a little lacing. Looks high quality, but not real appetizing as a beer.

Smell - Strong sweet generic berry scent with a hint of underlying malt.

Taste - Very strong and sweet generic berry flavor. There is very little beer character at all. Borderline malternative. The flavor definitely isn't bad, just doesn't strike me as something that should be called beer.

Mouthfeel - Very light, thin even.

Drinkability - Nice berry-flavored summer drink that goes down easy on a hot night on the back porch. The beer qualities of this drink are, however, almost totally absent.

This is exhibit no. 1 on the list of out-of-balance fruit beers. To clarify - I like it and in the right situation would drink it. The low grades simply reflect that Leine's Berry Weiss just isn't much of a beer and doesn't, for the most part, meet the minimal standard requirements. Looks, smells and tastes like a berry flavored malternative.

1.95/5  rDev -33%

Berry Weiss is a strange color (equal parts yellow, orange and pink) and looks unnatural. An aggressive pour results in a decent sized off-white head, but there's minimal lace.

The aroma reminds me of a wine cooler. The artificial berry-like sweetness that greets my nose has very little in common with beer. The flavor is slightly malty, but is mostly a sickly sweet berry flavor that turns a little 'beery' at the end. Apparently, blackberry juice was used. I guess I can appreciate that. If left to my own devices, though, I would have said blueberry/raspberry. The mouthfeel is lousy. 'Thin' pretty much sums it up.

This Leinenkugel offering could fairly be described in several ways, from most accurate to least: a berry-flavored malternative, a slightly less sweet wine cooler that has a passing resemblance to beer, and a beer flavored with honey and blackberry juice (which is what it actually is). It has no business being called beer, which may be why the label reads 'bier'. Maybe the brewery's suits were trying to make it sound like a true German weissbier.

Berry Weiss reminds me of that classic Cheers episode in which Norm talks about eating at a restaurant that serves artificial meat. He specifically mentions 'bef' and 'loobster' as two of his favorites. Maybe this stuff should be called 'ber' or 'bere' since it doesn't much resemble beer.

1.93/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

The beer poured out a nice amber color, with a nice light head and good retention. There was good carbonation in the beer as well. Once we got past appearances the beer lost me a little. Smell gave what you would expect, raz and wheat. The taste for me was just too much, almost like artificial sweeteners, and I am one who can appreciate a fruit beer. I wouldn't go so far as to call this more of a wine cooler, but it was just too much. Mouthfeel was not quite what I expected, somewhat foamy at times. In the end I struggled to finish it.

1.93/5  rDev -33.7%

I had this beer with a meal in Mattoon, IL. Before ordering it, I asked the waitress if it had a strong fruit taste. She said it did not but she must have been winging it because this tasted like kool-aid. I couldn't drink it because it was soooo sweet with a powerful berry taste. I couldn't tell it was a wheat beer at all.

1.91/5  rDev -34.4%

My sister turned 21, and being the naive little girl she is, she's going through this "I'm buying alcohol" phase. Hence, my excuse to drink this malt beverage.

Appearance: Pink malt beverage. Little head that fades quickly.

Smell: Overpoweringly sweet. Alcoholic fruit soda.

Taste: Mildly alcoholic, thick Juicy-Juice. Way too sweet. I knew it would be.

Mouthfeel: Feels like beer, but it really isn't. This review is over.

Overall: I didn't enjoy this. Got to hit every style though, I suppose... it was there, so why not? If you're a beer fan, you won't like it most likely.

1.9/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a slightly hazed fruit punch color (pinkish?) with a thin pink head that descends to a patch. I would say it's not a particularly attractive color for a beer.

Smells like a fruity wine spritzer with added fruitiness - esp. blackberry. Very fruity - I guess that's what they were going for.

The taste is ... not good. Sweet artificial fruit syrup with honey added as a bonus on top of the sweetness from the fruit syrup. There's a touch of maltiness, adding more to sweetness - Forget the hops. Imbalanced sweetness. If this were a fruity "malt beverage" I would say it was not bad, but it has "bier" written on it. Why write it in German? Why write it at all? Hardly has any beer characteristics - a touch of malt...a vague tartness, maybe? Just barely enough to keep sweetness from lingering forever (though it lasts too long, anyway.) Finishes...sweet.

Light-bodied and fizzy. Over-carbonation's only redeeming quality (if it has any) is that it lifts away some of the sweet aftertaste, a bit.

Is this beer or a malternative? With willpower (and putting beer out of my mind) I was able to finish one (and give the rest to a female neighbor who drinks the "malt beverages" to share with her friends. Better them than me!

1.9/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours a dark orange color, with some hints of purple (could be my imagination) and a frothy whiteish head. I get some berries in the aroma, and not a whole lot more. Taking my first drink of this one, I immediately get the feeling I am drinking a sickly, sweet berry flavored soda. Too much carbonation and too much fake berry flavors. Truly a horrible beer; I could not come close to finishing a bottle.

1.9/5  rDev -34.7%

Too much berry flavor for me. This is definitly a chick beer, which is okay, but I still think even most of the wine cooler babes would rather have those than switch to a beer like this. It tastes a lot like raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, not much like beer, and way too sweet. It has a slick, syrupy feel, too sugary. Its not for me, thats for sure.

1.86/5  rDev -36.1%

It's your girlfriend's beer for when she can't get a Dewey Stevens. Looks like Champale when you pour it. Gotta admit it smells nice. But tastes like a wine cooler with a bit of malt in it. Sweetness is almost saccharine. It might be okay as a hot-weather cooler, but if this is all Miller can come up with in the fruit beer category, New Glarus has nothing to worry about.
On a second tasting, I had it straight out of the bottle to avoid the disturbing blue color. Even then, you get a vaguely Trix-flavored mess.

1.86/5  rDev -36.1%

had a bottle at a friend's place, but to be honest I probably could have reviewed this beer without tasting it. pours cloudy and headless, decent color but where's the foam?

the nose is raspberries and sugar. tastes like raspberries and sugar. finishes wiht notes of-- wait for it-- raspberries and sugar. no wheat in evidence, except maybe in the color. there's a shade of tanginess that's just not strong enough to be interesting. if anything, it's a sign to me that this beer has potential. I could see it going a bit more in the lambic direction and still retaining some mass appeal. right now it tastes too damned much like Mike's Hard Something. and I'll be honest, drinking it makes me feel like less of a man.

bottom line: this beer is limp-wristed and cloying.

1.84/5  rDev -36.8%

12 oz bottle with a date of May 23 11. Sadly I bought it yesterday at Spec's, thanks for selling beer past it's pull date guys. Pours a hazed, reddish-copper color with a lavender tinted head. Retention is average and lacing is good.

Nose is very berry-oriented with more of a sweet lean than tart. Blackberry is most identifiable fruit and the wheat gets lost in the fruit-dominated aroma. More like a soda or alcopop than beer.

Waaay sweeter than I expected...leaves a syrupy, fruity residue on the lips. Beery aspects of this beverage are almost completely lost to artificial-tasting sweet fruit juice. I have a soft spot for fruit beers, but this is difficult for me to finish. I dont know if a fresher sample would help, but I cant help but think the sweet, artificial berry flavor would still be overwhelming. As much as I hate the malt beverage cliche 'panty-dropper', that is what came to mind right off the bat for this atrocity.

1.81/5  rDev -37.8%

Pours a light purple-pink, with a light pink head that quickly dissipates. Smells like fruit juice from a box--the kind you had in your lunchbox as a kid. The taste is the same: shockingly un-beerlike fruit drink. There might be a tiny bit of wheat in there, but it's totally burried beneath a crushing nastyness of berry-punch Juicy Juice. Gave me horrible heatrburn,will never drink again if I can help it

1.76/5  rDev -39.5%

ADR summed this one up perfect. A train wreck in a bottle. Berries all over the place with nothing to constrain them. No balance, no drinkability. As ADR said, the berry flavor that seems interesting on the first sip, quickly becomes obnoxious. I just say "yuck".
BW looks like beer, but that is about it. More like one of those Jack Daniels coolers that my girlfriend drinks on occasion. She even said this wasn't bad, which spells disaster for any beer (as she is a swore beer hater). She and I are able to find middle ground in our relationship, other than our drinking patterns, but this beer should be avoided by everyone.
And I am from Wis, so I should be biased. But as a local, let me tell you to stay the hell away from this.

1.76/5  rDev -39.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Cloudy red/copper color, 2 finger head which retained well and was a pink/white color, little lacing.

S: Strong black berry smell.

T: Sweet fruity taste, with a strange(bad) after taste. a bit sour also.

M: Light body.

D: To much of a berry flavor. i could drink one... but would never buy again. after one beer, its really filling. i bought a six pack and i don't even want to drink the rest. it kind of taste like kool aid and vodka...

1.76/5  rDev -39.5%

This "beer" is the kind of beer that minors drink and then say that they like the taste of beer. Quite frankly, a wine cooler has more beer taste than this. It kind of looks like beer upon pouring, but then the saccharine scent and flavor gives it away. My fiance likes it a lot, but she hates beer. I’m the complete opposite.

1.75/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

This is not beer, this is carbonated berry kool aid in a bottle. It was sickening sweet and not pleasant in the least. Had a medicinal cough syrup type of flavor to it.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

1.73/5  rDev -40.5%

12oz bottle

The berry weiss pours a very awkward color. Its not sure if its red or if its slightly orange, a bit pink, or maybe even brown. Its got a big foamy white head that sticks to the glass. Its smell is awful. Lots of rotten fruit, sugar sweetness, rancid apple cider and yea berries. It also packs an unpleasant tingly astringent-like feeling in the nose. It tastes bad too, any form of a wheat/bread character is totally blocked by the sweetness. It's cloying. It coats your mouth, deadens your tongue and sticks with you long after you take a sip. This was a dumper... Avoid this during your summer beer search. There are lots of better options in the 'flavored wheat beer' category. Try a Lambic, Blue Point Blueberry Ale, DFH Black and Blue or Red and White instead. Or you could just stick with the good old Sunset Wheat from Leinenkugels!

1.71/5  rDev -41.2%

Transparent and bubbly watermelon red. Thick head on the pour with a soda-like consistency. Brief head life and minimal lacing.

Smell is fruity with intense blackberry notes and almost gives me a headache.

Flavor is way too sweet. Some honey character and a massive berry flavor and tartness with candied sweetness. Just the slightest hint of barley malt. No hops or bitterness can be detected. Tastes like a berry soda.

Feel is dense, sticky and syrupy from all the sugars. This is honestly like drinking blackberry nectar if such a thing exists. Its only saving grace is the carbonation.

This stuff is absolute garbage! Each sip I took to write this review was painful and I can't wait til I'm done to pour this down the drain. What these brewers have to realize is that with fruity beers, less is more; its all about the balance. If you want to try a good example of this style, pick up some Founders cerise.

1.71/5  rDev -41.2%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, twist. Label is a bit different than the one pictured here - purple and gold, talks about being flavored with honey and blackberry juice.

Appearance: Wow - cloudy and really pink, just a bit orangish. Medium head with good retention - but even that is pink.

Smell: Initial whiff of blackberry syrup when it is first opened. Once it is in the glass it is a bit less sweet, with a bit of tartness to it. No beer smell at all though - it is all fruit.

Taste: Wow - blackberry soda. Just like the smell - absolutely no beer at all here - fruity, maybe this is what wine coolers are aiming for?

Overall impression: Interesting I guess, but this isn't really a beer. All fruity and sweet, overly so to be highly drinkable.

1.68/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pinkish-orange color with an off white head with poor retention and little lacing. Smells of artificial berries, definitely not a good sign. Tastes like artificial berry flavoring. Too sweet, and reminds me of Celis Raspberry, which was not good. Light bodied, thin, decent carbonation. I would say to avoid this one.

1.65/5  rDev -43.3%

This beer reminded me very much of B-to-the-E in taste, smell, and appearance. Pinkish purple color, smells of grain and berry flavoring. Taste is actually quite unpleasent, sweet but has an odd funkiness about it from the malt. Not very good, I like B-to-the-E better than this, but not by much.

1.61/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Drank from both bottle and poured into a glass.
It pours to a light purple color. Moderate carbonation, with a fruity smell.
Tastes like a fruit drink. Does not have a beer taste at all. Very sweet.

A really really sweet tasting soft drink that was labeled a beer by mistake.
Or at least I hope so.

1.6/5  rDev -45%

A= scary purple not typical of beer with a light head
S= fruity not a beer smell at all. Coulda fooled me into thinking it was wine
T= Way way way to fruity. They over did this beer. I'm usually a fan of Lines but this one is just not for me. I know plenty of girls who live for it though
M= high carbonation which in my opinion made it a little more drinkable
D= Hard to do more than one without something in between. Gave me a little tummy ache :(

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company