2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Berry WeissLeinenkugel's Berry Weiss

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 987 | Reviews: 345 | Show All Ratings:
keoki182

1.73/5  rDev -38.4%

This "beer" is the kind of beer that minors drink and then say that they like the taste of beer. Quite frankly, a wine cooler has more beer taste than this. It kind of looks like beer upon pouring, but then the saccharine scent and flavor gives it away. My fiance likes it a lot, but she hates beer. I’m the complete opposite.

07-16-2006 14:03:04 | More by keoki182
WakeandBake

1.73/5  rDev -38.4%

Pours a light purple-pink, with a light pink head that quickly dissipates. Smells like fruit juice from a box--the kind you had in your lunchbox as a kid. The taste is the same: shockingly un-beerlike fruit drink. There might be a tiny bit of wheat in there, but it's totally burried beneath a crushing nastyness of berry-punch Juicy Juice. Gave me horrible heatrburn,will never drink again if I can help it

12-07-2008 13:39:21 | More by WakeandBake
mytireisfat

1.73/5  rDev -38.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Cloudy red/copper color, 2 finger head which retained well and was a pink/white color, little lacing.

S: Strong black berry smell.

T: Sweet fruity taste, with a strange(bad) after taste. a bit sour also.

M: Light body.

D: To much of a berry flavor. i could drink one... but would never buy again. after one beer, its really filling. i bought a six pack and i don't even want to drink the rest. it kind of taste like kool aid and vodka...

05-28-2010 21:15:31 | More by mytireisfat
twiggamortis420

1.8/5  rDev -35.9%

12 oz bottle with a date of May 23 11. Sadly I bought it yesterday at Spec's, thanks for selling beer past it's pull date guys. Pours a hazed, reddish-copper color with a lavender tinted head. Retention is average and lacing is good.

Nose is very berry-oriented with more of a sweet lean than tart. Blackberry is most identifiable fruit and the wheat gets lost in the fruit-dominated aroma. More like a soda or alcopop than beer.

Waaay sweeter than I expected...leaves a syrupy, fruity residue on the lips. Beery aspects of this beverage are almost completely lost to artificial-tasting sweet fruit juice. I have a soft spot for fruit beers, but this is difficult for me to finish. I dont know if a fresher sample would help, but I cant help but think the sweet, artificial berry flavor would still be overwhelming. As much as I hate the malt beverage cliche 'panty-dropper', that is what came to mind right off the bat for this atrocity.

07-01-2011 17:33:30 | More by twiggamortis420
DrunkMcDermott

1.83/5  rDev -34.9%

It's your girlfriend's beer for when she can't get a Dewey Stevens. Looks like Champale when you pour it. Gotta admit it smells nice. But tastes like a wine cooler with a bit of malt in it. Sweetness is almost saccharine. It might be okay as a hot-weather cooler, but if this is all Miller can come up with in the fruit beer category, New Glarus has nothing to worry about.
On a second tasting, I had it straight out of the bottle to avoid the disturbing blue color. Even then, you get a vaguely Trix-flavored mess.

09-29-2003 13:28:41 | More by DrunkMcDermott
kajerm

1.83/5  rDev -34.9%

had a bottle at a friend's place, but to be honest I probably could have reviewed this beer without tasting it. pours cloudy and headless, decent color but where's the foam?

the nose is raspberries and sugar. tastes like raspberries and sugar. finishes wiht notes of-- wait for it-- raspberries and sugar. no wheat in evidence, except maybe in the color. there's a shade of tanginess that's just not strong enough to be interesting. if anything, it's a sign to me that this beer has potential. I could see it going a bit more in the lambic direction and still retaining some mass appeal. right now it tastes too damned much like Mike's Hard Something. and I'll be honest, drinking it makes me feel like less of a man.

bottom line: this beer is limp-wristed and cloying.

01-26-2007 18:36:28 | More by kajerm
emmasdad

1.83/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a dark orange color, with some hints of purple (could be my imagination) and a frothy whiteish head. I get some berries in the aroma, and not a whole lot more. Taking my first drink of this one, I immediately get the feeling I am drinking a sickly, sweet berry flavored soda. Too much carbonation and too much fake berry flavors. Truly a horrible beer; I could not come close to finishing a bottle.

05-19-2010 04:13:26 | More by emmasdad
Tucquan

1.85/5  rDev -34.2%

I had this beer with a meal in Mattoon, IL. Before ordering it, I asked the waitress if it had a strong fruit taste. She said it did not but she must have been winging it because this tasted like kool-aid. I couldn't drink it because it was soooo sweet with a powerful berry taste. I couldn't tell it was a wheat beer at all.

03-27-2008 16:01:32 | More by Tucquan
jwc215

1.85/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a slightly hazed fruit punch color (pinkish?) with a thin pink head that descends to a patch. I would say it's not a particularly attractive color for a beer.

Smells like a fruity wine spritzer with added fruitiness - esp. blackberry. Very fruity - I guess that's what they were going for.

The taste is ... not good. Sweet artificial fruit syrup with honey added as a bonus on top of the sweetness from the fruit syrup. There's a touch of maltiness, adding more to sweetness - Forget the hops. Imbalanced sweetness. If this were a fruity "malt beverage" I would say it was not bad, but it has "bier" written on it. Why write it in German? Why write it at all? Hardly has any beer characteristics - a touch of malt...a vague tartness, maybe? Just barely enough to keep sweetness from lingering forever (though it lasts too long, anyway.) Finishes...sweet.

Light-bodied and fizzy. Over-carbonation's only redeeming quality (if it has any) is that it lifts away some of the sweet aftertaste, a bit.

Is this beer or a malternative? With willpower (and putting beer out of my mind) I was able to finish one (and give the rest to a female neighbor who drinks the "malt beverages" to share with her friends. Better them than me!

09-02-2008 03:28:21 | More by jwc215
hotstuff

Indiana

1.88/5  rDev -33.1%

Another one of my least favorite beer styles. This one was too berry and way too sweet tasting for me. It had a small white creamy head with fine sized bubbles. The body was cloudy with carbonation observed and the hue was berry. The nose was heavily berry and the taste was very sweet, tart, sour and tangy. The mouthfeel was tingly, smooth with a thin-watery texture and light bodied. There was a fair amount of lacing with this beer.

10-29-2003 00:32:29 | More by hotstuff
xzqrut

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

The beer poured out a nice amber color, with a nice light head and good retention. There was good carbonation in the beer as well. Once we got past appearances the beer lost me a little. Smell gave what you would expect, raz and wheat. The taste for me was just too much, almost like artificial sweeteners, and I am one who can appreciate a fruit beer. I wouldn't go so far as to call this more of a wine cooler, but it was just too much. Mouthfeel was not quite what I expected, somewhat foamy at times. In the end I struggled to finish it.

07-26-2006 00:05:04 | More by xzqrut
jasonpeckins32

1.88/5  rDev -33.1%

Too much berry flavor for me. This is definitly a chick beer, which is okay, but I still think even most of the wine cooler babes would rather have those than switch to a beer like this. It tastes a lot like raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, not much like beer, and way too sweet. It has a slick, syrupy feel, too sugary. Its not for me, thats for sure.

10-16-2007 04:27:58 | More by jasonpeckins32
Winston_Smith

Kentucky

1.88/5  rDev -33.1%

My sister turned 21, and being the naive little girl she is, she's going through this "I'm buying alcohol" phase. Hence, my excuse to drink this malt beverage.

Appearance: Pink malt beverage. Little head that fades quickly.

Smell: Overpoweringly sweet. Alcoholic fruit soda.

Taste: Mildly alcoholic, thick Juicy-Juice. Way too sweet. I knew it would be.

Mouthfeel: Feels like beer, but it really isn't. This review is over.

Overall: I didn't enjoy this. Got to hit every style though, I suppose... it was there, so why not? If you're a beer fan, you won't like it most likely.

11-26-2012 02:42:02 | More by Winston_Smith
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

1.95/5  rDev -30.6%

Berry Weiss is a strange color (equal parts yellow, orange and pink) and looks unnatural. An aggressive pour results in a decent sized off-white head, but there's minimal lace.

The aroma reminds me of a wine cooler. The artificial berry-like sweetness that greets my nose has very little in common with beer. The flavor is slightly malty, but is mostly a sickly sweet berry flavor that turns a little 'beery' at the end. Apparently, blackberry juice was used. I guess I can appreciate that. If left to my own devices, though, I would have said blueberry/raspberry. The mouthfeel is lousy. 'Thin' pretty much sums it up.

This Leinenkugel offering could fairly be described in several ways, from most accurate to least: a berry-flavored malternative, a slightly less sweet wine cooler that has a passing resemblance to beer, and a beer flavored with honey and blackberry juice (which is what it actually is). It has no business being called beer, which may be why the label reads 'bier'. Maybe the brewery's suits were trying to make it sound like a true German weissbier.

Berry Weiss reminds me of that classic Cheers episode in which Norm talks about eating at a restaurant that serves artificial meat. He specifically mentions 'bef' and 'loobster' as two of his favorites. Maybe this stuff should be called 'ber' or 'bere' since it doesn't much resemble beer.

01-09-2004 18:37:15 | More by BuckeyeNation
scaliasux

1.95/5  rDev -30.6%

Appearance - Fruit punch color. Kinda cloudy. Soapy pinkish foam with some staying power. Leaves a little lacing. Looks high quality, but not real appetizing as a beer.

Smell - Strong sweet generic berry scent with a hint of underlying malt.

Taste - Very strong and sweet generic berry flavor. There is very little beer character at all. Borderline malternative. The flavor definitely isn't bad, just doesn't strike me as something that should be called beer.

Mouthfeel - Very light, thin even.

Drinkability - Nice berry-flavored summer drink that goes down easy on a hot night on the back porch. The beer qualities of this drink are, however, almost totally absent.

This is exhibit no. 1 on the list of out-of-balance fruit beers. To clarify - I like it and in the right situation would drink it. The low grades simply reflect that Leine's Berry Weiss just isn't much of a beer and doesn't, for the most part, meet the minimal standard requirements. Looks, smells and tastes like a berry flavored malternative.

05-15-2005 23:01:04 | More by scaliasux
thekevlarkid

Maryland

1.95/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Out of a bottle this beer was a murky brown-pink color with a huge three-finger head of slightly pink foam. It left very good lacing and the retention was pretty good as a thin collar.. The aroma was all raspberries and strawberries and a candy-like sweetness. The flavors were very, very sweet. Cloying, in your-face, too-much sweet. Getting beyond the sweetness was difficult and all I could really discern beyond that was some sourness and an awkward, artificial aftertaste. The body was medium/light and the carbonation a little too high. I don't know what they were shooting for here but they totally missed the mark.

11-21-2008 18:14:51 | More by thekevlarkid
JMBSH

Colorado

After a hard pour, the head quickly shrinks to a thin lace on the top. The smell of fruit juice is heavy. The color is a nice amber with a fair amount of carbonation rising to the surface. The taste is very, very tart. A grape/rasberry combination for the flavor. I can't detect any of the "usual" beer flavors, especially any hops. The fruit flavor sticks in my mouth and lingers for quite some time. It reminds me of a grape soda. For a fruit beer, this might be right on target, but the "soda" feel just doesn't work for me. I prefer a beer with a more sutle fruit flavor, not one the seems to hit you over the head.

07-01-2008 01:17:42 | More by JMBSH
discovolante65

Rhode Island

2.03/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had a friend bring this over, raving about it. Thanks.
I cracked this one for my wife, trying to prove that it's beer for people who hate beer, +1 for me!

Poured into a Guinness Pint Glass (I think it winced). It pours a light brown color with a pinkish hue. Small head, nice carbonation.

Smells like Sugar-coated kids cereal. I'm going with Cap'n Crunch oops all berry for a smell on this one. I don't particularly like fruity pebbles.

Tastes as though Crystal Light is breaking into the beer market. Aspartame, stinging fake sugar taste. Tastes like chemicals. Nothing beer about this. Reminds me of some fruity Mad Dog 20/20 flavor I had in college.

Feels like alum in my mouth. Like it's tasting me and taking away all the saliva in my mouth at the same time. Watery and thin. Carbonation isn't all that bad though.

Ugh. I would rather staple my nuts to a burning building than have another one of these. This is like some shitty shirt you get from your grandma with some lame ass saying on the front and your name printed on the back. Play along and pretend you like it while she's in town, dear.

My wife on the other hand, hates beer, thinks this is delicious, and asked me for another one to my disgust.
Great beer for a woman who hates beer!

01-12-2009 22:00:41 | More by discovolante65
Samp01

2.03/5  rDev -27.8%

Pours pinkish/orange with small white head. Aroma of berrys, grapes, blueberry. Taste of blueberry , grapes, very fruity and sweet. Palate is light body, very bubbly carbonation. Reminds me of a wine cooler. Finish is very sweet. Did not like this beer.

11-24-2010 02:50:52 | More by Samp01
jenbys2001

Japan

2.05/5  rDev -27%

I expected this beer to be better since I enjoy the Leine's Sunset Wheat. However, this beer is overpowering in it's sweetness. It tastes more like a berry soda to me than a beer. I can't drink even half of one without feeling a little sick to my stomach. But then again, I don't particularly like sweet tasting beverages.

01-10-2008 02:54:01 | More by jenbys2001
changeup45

2.05/5  rDev -27%

Very interesting. I have never really found a "berry" beer that I thought was good. Pouring this from the bottle into a glass, it was actually a pink color. Once poured it settles down to more like a copper color, some haze and a pinkish tint to it. Thick white, pinkish tinted head and quite a bit of lace. The aroma is.... you guessed it. Berries. If I had to pick one, blackberries. The taste is very carbonated and berry-like. It seemed like it was flavored seltzer. Nothing I'll get again.

08-24-2008 00:59:35 | More by changeup45
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.05/5  rDev -27%

reviewed from notes, this one was poured into a pint glass and given to me by my in laws.

i knew i was in trouble when this candy like color starts to fill the glass, with a fizzy white top that seams to pop up and fall down immediatly. ehh. but then i took a whiff, fake berries, and just light kool aid like aroma. not even close to a good fruit beer. way too light and the flavors and aromas are so blatently artificial it was downright scary. light berrys and hints of sweet malts try and poke up but they are just remnants of what would make a good beer.

overall no. some of these i can get by with and make a pass, but this was just way off the mark. too light, too fruity, just a mess.

02-19-2011 02:46:05 | More by mikesgroove
Brunite

2.05/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: Hazy red hued color with a 2 finger head which retained well. The color was a pinkish color.

S: Strong berry smell.

T: Wow. Way too sweet. Sour on the finish. Where is the beer? Tastes like soda.

M: Light body.

O: Did not care for. Just way too much berry...off-putting.

03-23-2011 04:04:08 | More by Brunite
ADR

2.08/5  rDev -26%

Sweet-berry disaster in my opinion...way above and beyond the call of a fruit beer in that there's no trace of balance for the sweetness and little mouthfeel to balance the over-carbed fizziness...can be refreshing on first impression but the over sweet and bubbly taste and cloying swallow annoy me more with every sip...not recommended...

03-25-2002 13:22:41 | More by ADR
TheSMUSpaz

2.08/5  rDev -26%

I tried this beer on a whim. It looked average, smelled great (the berries, obviously), but I can't get on board with the taste. If I was faced with a choice between this and something like Smirnoff Ice, I'd go with this, but that's probably the only time.

06-30-2007 20:32:25 | More by TheSMUSpaz