Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002

Reviews: 367 | Hads: 1,241
3.5/5  rDev +17.8%

A - dark reddish amber with a loose, bubbly, white head that has little retention

S - blackberries

T - tart, blackberries, juice-like but not as sugary or sweet

M - light bodied, well carbonated, crisp at times

This is a mediocre, simple fruit beer. If you like blackberries and a light bodied beer then this is a decent offering. If you're looking for something complex or full bodied, look elsewhere. (406 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -2%

12oz single given to me in a mix of beers and poured into my Sam Adams glass. It poured a somewhat hazy, pink amberish color with a large and fizzy head to it. Nice head retention and lacing as I drank it.

The aroma shows a lot of fruit extract flavors to it. I get some sweeter blackberry and cherry notes to it. I don't get much else coming out from behind the fruit extract flavors.

The taste has a sweet, fruit juice profile to it. I get cherry, blackberry and raspberry to it, but it's more of an extract fruitiness to it rather then fresh fruit. A lot of the sugary fruit sweetness is there as well making it almost Kool-Aid like.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was easy drinking, light and would probably be nice on a real hot day. Unfortunately though I just didn't think it was a very good beer. It was very sweet and sugary like a fruit punch and the fruity flavors felt very extracty to me. Would be a good beer to give to non-beer lovers though so I'm sure it has it's place and fans. (1,038 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -24.9%

Well I unknowingly ordered this Berry Leiney, I was hoping it was just a wheat beer, but to my dismay it was riddled with berry flavor.

It looked good, soapy white head on a cloudy bright yellow liquid.

The aroma was faint and consisted of raspberries namely, some blackberry too.

The flavor was a major dissappointmet. Tastes like a blueberry/raspberry puree poured into a wheat beer. It is what it is. Finishes a bit sour and overly sweet. Lemony hop is out of place here.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Drinkability rates low, cloyingly sweet, artificial berry taste, whats to like? I would reccommend this to a casual beer drinker, not a beer enthusiast who appreciates better beer. (688 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -13.1%

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer has a rhubarb pale red clear body with a thin white head that is gone before I set the glass down.

S- The dry fruity notes of strawberry, raspberry and a hint of powdered sugar with a cherry finish.

T- The sweet strawberry fruit flavor has a faint wheat hint and a slight tart finish of cherry punch.

M- This beer has a very light mouthfeel with a fizzy texture.

D- This beer is sweet has fizzy. The fruit flavors are pretty natural but they need something to balance them. (527 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a three-finger pinkish head that fades quickly to a ring leaving traces of lace. Clear red/amber color. Maybe its a blackberry nose. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is sweet and tart berry(?) with a sweet and sour finish. Would make a good summer beer - not one with two feet of snow on the ground. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capital Convenience Concord, NH. (379 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured a medium cloudy copper and pink hue. There was a three finger foamy white head. There was good retention and good lacing.

The smell was 100% sweet berry. Champagne like esters.

The taste resembled champagne with a strong berry sweetness. Only minor detection of wheat body.

The mouthfeel was dry and a bit astringent.

Overall not a very drinkable beer. Too much like a wine cooler for my taste. Interesting champagne character though. (454 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice cloudy golden orange/amber color, nice carbonation, very nice one-finger plus foamy white head, with some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, with some yeast, berries. The taste is malty, slight yeasty, some berries in there. Medium body. Drinkable, not too bad, better than I expected. (297 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +7.7%

The Berry Weiss beer is a good fruit/veggie beer. The berries obviously dominate the smell and taste. The color was nice with decent white head. The mouthfeel was nice a light great for summertime libations. Although to sweet for me and I would not drink alot of this stuff. (274 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured a beautiful bright amber-orange with a slight ivory capping that soon diminished.

S: fruity and sweet with fresh raspberry aroma.

T: very sweet and sugary with raspberries. Very sweet upfront with dominant raspberry flavor with supporting fruitiness of apple and pear juice which quickly fades. Overall the flavor was very fruity and sugary.

M: light, sugary sweet almost to much so.

D: Drinkability was extremely limited due to the extreme sugary sweetness of this beer. Drank like a concentrated fruit juice box. (530 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +27.9%

A: poured a pinkish purple into my tulip with a finger of head tha had hardly any lacing on the glass.

S: intense berry aromas that almost make the beer smell like fruit punch. Very little malt character without any hop presence.

T: a very crisp berry kick that reminds me of a blonde style brewed beer with the fruit added. I kinda gotta a slight wheat flavor after a couple sips too.

M: meduim bodied with good bubbly carbonation to add the overall fruit backbone.

D: probably would only drink one due to the sweetness of the beer but a good offering from leinenkugel. Sunset wheat is still my favorite from them. (619 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a deep orange/red color. Medium foamy white head with purple tinting. Real sweet berry nose. Can they really call this a weiss. I'm curious what percentage of wheat malt is utilized. (I would bet in the 10-15 % range.) As with their Honey Weiss, there is absoutely no trace of weizen characteristics. This beer is very fruity and fairly highly carbonated. It is not obnoxious at all in taste, but it doesn't taste like a beer. If you're looking for a beer that tastes like a wine cooler, this is perfect.

(A side note: Last summer, at my sister's gift opening party at my mom and dad's house the Sunday after her Wedding, there were coolers macrobrews available. Among others, Leiney's Honey and Berry were available. ZAP and I hid in the garage with the coolers during the actual "gift opening." We discovered a half and half mix of berry and honey actually tasted halfway decent. It went down pretty easy on a day we both were experiencing minor hang overs.) (998 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -10.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours an a pinkish amber color with a pretty nice off-white head that has good lacing and retention qualities . The aroma is very sweet and slightly tart and filled with blackberries, raspberries and other different wildberry smells. The taste like the aroma is almost overwhelmingly sweet with berry flavors and just a touch of wheat flavor under all the sweetness. Overall, this is not a horrible beer, but it is way too sweet for my palate. It almost tastes like a couple of sugar packets were dumped into this beer before consumption. It is one and done for me, thankfully I just bought a single bottle. (645 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +30.6%

Bought locally at Poplar Wine & Spirits.

It pours a clear reddsh amber with a 1 finger head of foam. There's some good lacing and the head retention is good.

The smell is big on the berries that kind of remind me of a Lindemans. I like fruit beers so the nose is impressive to me.

The taste is nice. Big flavour of raspberry and a good note of blackberry with some honey and overall, it's quite sweet but it suits my palate nicely.

Good medium to medium thick mouthfeel for the most part but it does border on syrupy near the finish.

This is a good fruit beer that, imo, doesn't have a whole lot of complexity going on but I don't look for that in every beer I try. It's simple, and it's good. (699 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -30%

Muddled pink color, no head. Aroma of corn syrup and nerds candy.

I hate to use the word disgusting, but it seems apt here. Wheat aspect is commendable, but the 'fruit' aspect, is questionable at best. Comes off more like a soda with some wheat to it, moreso than a 'beer'. This type of beer gives other fruit beers bad names. When people say cough syrup (although at least this is a 'thin' one) or kool aid beer, this kinda gives them some ammo to substantiate their claim.

Really no redeeming quality to this 'beer', other than the fact its not absolutely terrible, it just kinda sucks. (591 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle dated Jul 06 15. Sampled May 15, 2015.

The color is a sort of orange-strawberry sparkling water color with a burst of white head that fizzles as fast as it erupts.

The aroma is mostly strawberry, blackberry, and a tiny hint of honey.

Light body

The flavor surprised me a little. I do get the weakest note of toasted bread and a very mild bitterness but otherwise it is all berries. (414 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +14.1%

Color: Raspberry red color with a very thick head of foam that sticks around for a while, leaving some lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Very strong berry aroma, likening to a mix of blackberry and raspberry. Seems to mask any other flavors that might be present, which could mean berry flavor is an extract.

Taste: Sweet with berry flavor mingling with wheat. Tastes more like a berry soda than a beer though. Nothing but berries in the taste. Fades to a bit of sourness/bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Berries! Not much else to pick out

Verdict: Too sweet to be an actual weissbeer. It's decent but overdone with the berries. Still might be enjoyable as a summer beer on a hot day. (672 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Red color with orange around teh edges where the light hits. Pours a two finger foamy white head with fair retention. Decanted steadily. No lacing.

S: Strong scent of sweet blueberries and rasberries.

T: Very fruit-juicy; frnaly not minful of beer. There is a slight malty taste, but it gets lost quicly in sweet berries.

M: Light and thin. Ample carbonation brightens the sweetness.

D: More of a flavored alcohol beverage thatn a weis as the name implied. Drinkable as long as you can stomach the sweet taste - some have more tolerance of that others. (563 characters)

12 ounce bottle, there's a date of SEP 26 11 printed on it, but I have no idea if that's the bottled on or best by date. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a pinkish/amber color with a half inch light pink head. The head goes away quickly, and there isn't much lacing. The brew smells like berry fruit juice/drinks and grain. For the most part it tastes like it smells, it tastes like a mix of fruit juice, grainy malt and berry flavored carbonated water. The flavor isn't quite as artificial tasting as I was expecting, so that's a plus. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's a little bit syrupy and is well carbonated. As far as fruit beers go, I'd have to say this is average all around. I've had better and I've had worse. I don't think I'd buy a 6 pack of this, but if someone gave me a bottle (a friend did give me this one) I wouldn't turn it down, either. (859 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +36%

Easily one of my favorite beers. Sometime you want a little flavored beer now and again.

A - Pretty average pinkish lemonade like color.
S - The berry smell is awesome in this beer. Almost too good.
T - Man what a treat of a beer! Berry delicious with just a hint of sour. Like a poor mans lambic.
M - Watery but full bodied.
D - I could easily slam a six pack without thinking twice. It really does have a "light beer" tone to it so you really don't notice its around 5 percent.

Overall I used to get this by the case but now I tend to try better things. Really a good beer and I would agree that if your in the mood for a fruit beer and don't want too much sour crack open a Leine! (688 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +11.1%

12 oz bottle in a weizen glass. Produced on date of 09149.

A - Light, slightly cloudy red-ish orange with a persistent two finger head. Mediocre retention, decent lacing.

S - Blueberries and raspberries abound. A little wheat in the background but mainly a Kool-Aid smell.

T - Holy shit is that sweet. Sugary berry flavor concoction that's exactly like overly sugar -saturated Kool-Aid. Tiny, almost impossible to detect, wheat flavor on the finish.

M - Light and very crisp like soda. Sweet as hell.

D - Quintessential "give a non-beer drinking girl a beer" beer. When all I drank was Miller Lite, I loved this beer but honestly, I could have maybe one max now. This thing is so damn sweet it's outrageous. If I would rate this on my own personal taste, the score would be lower. (785 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +19.2%

Aroma is full and strongly of raspberry - and I love raspberry. It pours a curious pinkish amber, unusual but not unappetizing. Flavor is mainly fruity, more like a cider than a beer, but crisp and tasty - the raspberry dominates the malt. If you love raspberry, this beer should wet your whistle. (297 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Berry Weiss. I already don't like the sound of that, but who am I to turn down a free beer? Pours a weird, off-shade of copper with a strange reddish hue to it, almost pink, but not quite there. The head grows big and foamy, but it's about as wispy as they come as it's gone within a minute, no lacing gets left behind.

The aroma is a splash of berries and sweetness; raspberry, blackberry, and some other kind of berries I'm sure (not really getting much strawberry, though). It's pretty artificial and "fake" smelling, like the aroma you'd expect from a candle or some kind of wall plug-in air freshener. But actually even a bit worse than those, since this has a somewhat chalky and medicinal character to it. Like crushed vitamins or something.

The flavor doesn't stray too far from the aroma - it's an awkward concoction of artificial berry juice, residual sweetness, and remnants of beer. Almost more akin to a wine cooler or a flavored malt liquor beverage, if it weren't for the wheat and yeast coated that gets left on the palate in the aftertaste. The strange chalkiness from the nose comes back to haunt the flavor a bit, too. Pretty sweet overall - not necessarily cloying, but it's not a desirable sweetness, either. Body is thin with a crisp mouth feel from the heavy dose of carbonation.

Yeah, this really isn't my thing. Glad that I tried it just so I know to steer absolutely clear of it next time. It's like a poor man's version of The Soft Parade by Shorts. I'll pass on this one next time. (1,512 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -38%

12 oz bottle with a date of May 23 11. Sadly I bought it yesterday at Spec's, thanks for selling beer past it's pull date guys. Pours a hazed, reddish-copper color with a lavender tinted head. Retention is average and lacing is good.

Nose is very berry-oriented with more of a sweet lean than tart. Blackberry is most identifiable fruit and the wheat gets lost in the fruit-dominated aroma. More like a soda or alcopop than beer.

Waaay sweeter than I expected...leaves a syrupy, fruity residue on the lips. Beery aspects of this beverage are almost completely lost to artificial-tasting sweet fruit juice. I have a soft spot for fruit beers, but this is difficult for me to finish. I dont know if a fresher sample would help, but I cant help but think the sweet, artificial berry flavor would still be overwhelming. As much as I hate the malt beverage cliche 'panty-dropper', that is what came to mind right off the bat for this atrocity. (940 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +7.7%

To quote the hip lads these days..."It is what it is"...Iwhat it is NOT is a Weiss...tastes more like a wine cooler to me than a beer...big strawberry flavor...label says blackberries and I get a little of that too....very sweet...mouthfeel is spritzy like when I mix 7up with orange juice..

I think this is categorized correctly as a fruit vegetable beer...it is bold and overdone with the berries...nothing subtle about this....drinkability is average at best because of the sweetness....mixed with Honey weiss it is much better....if they tweaked the recipe it might be better...a good one for your girlfriend who doesn't like beer....not the worst thing ever made but not one I drink unless the wife buys her six-pack of it for the year and let's bottles sit around in the fridge for too long.. (801 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -2.7%

This one is a cloudy reddish-brown with an odd pinkish tint. A whitish head sits pretty thick for a little while at about two fingers and retains pretty well, leaving a little thin lacing around.
The aroma is...well, fruits. It's a bit artificial with a saccharine sweetness. A very light grains presence is barely detectable, but there's no malt or hops presence noted.
Fruits are all over the flavor as well, with a sugary sweetness and, again, lingering grains. Malts remain undetectable, though a light hops presence sits underneath.
The body is on the light side of medium and there's a crisp bite to it.
It's better than the mess I imagine a totally macro effort at a fruit beer would be, but average as it is. (717 characters)

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company