Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,189 | Reviews: 364
2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

3.15/5  rDev +12.1%

Man did I over do it with this stuff at Summer Fest in 1990-something. It was the year it was released so it was pretty trendy. I guess we all have those stories to tell, so blah.... blah... blah... I picked up a sampler recently so I'm giving this a go.

Poured out of a 12oz can into my Ale Asylum pint glass.

A) It's a hazy pinkish color. I gave it a pretty aggressive pour, but there was still very little head.

S) I expected more when I stuck my nose into this brew. Initially there was just light fruity notes. I will say that as the beer warmed the fruity and floral fragrance was more predominant.

T) It reminded me a bit of cough syrup. You know, the kind you don't mind taking, but it's also not doing a damn thing for you.

M) I have no complaints here.

O) I'm not opposed to fruit beers. This just wouldn't be my first choice. I mean, give me a good framboise or a kriek any day of the week.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I hadn't had this in a while, but I still laughed when the girl who sold me it said it tasted JUST like grape juice. So I popped the top...and it smells just like red grape juice. Did Welch's make this??

The taste isn't too much of a surprise. Pretty dang sweet...definitely on par with any wine cooler. Definitely a grape presence with raspberries also in there...maybe blackberries as well. In the finish, the wheat does appear in the back along with a good tart twang from the berries that tempers it from being too overwhelmingly sweet on the finish.

It isn't a complicated beer. If you're grabbing this one, you need to be prepared for perhaps the sweetest beer you've had in quite some time. I'll admit I did enjoy it as a change. Not every beer needs to be hyper bitter...this is a decent change-up.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

4.37/5  rDev +55.5%

Eye: Ok, so this is a first. The beer is pink! Its got fairly good head retention(at about 1/2 a finger) with some splotchy lacing...the head is an off white pinkish tinted color. Clear for a wheat beer, really you could say it looks like raspberry tea of lemonade, but just a tad clearer. Definitely looks good for the girly drink that it is. A bit more head would give it something more I think. Looks more like a wine cooler than a beer though. If you're in the mindset of wine cooler it looks great but in the mindset of beer it isn't all that appetizing to the eye, just too bright for what the general idea of beer is.

Nose: This beer is extremely potent. It has aromas of chiefly raspberries and strawberries. There is an overall soda sweet aroma in this brew. It also has a somewhat sour aroma-similiar to that of a framboise lambic. Not much of a wheat aroma here, but I believe that the nose of this beer is exactly what the brewmaster was going for. If you're going to make a fruit beer, well then go all the way and make it smell fruity.

Tongue: Well you can't flaw the brewer on this brew. It is most likely one of the best fruit beer's I've ever had. There is a full flavor profile of berries in this beer. Right up front the easily identifiable and right in your face berry flavor-again chiefly raspberry and strawberry-is followed by a nice wheat flavor which nicely balances out the "girlieness" of this beer. In my opinion this is the best fruit beer, even moreso the best wheat fruit beer, that I've ever drank. If one is going to make a fruit beer than make the fruit noticeable as is done here. I like the boldness of this beer. This beer captures the best of the wine cooler world-full fruit flavor and the best of the wheat beer world-the wheat flavor. It is a real nice blend of wine cooler and wheat beer-flavor wise.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: In the mouth this beer is spritzy, just like a wine cooler. Light and a highly carbonated body are perfect for this style of beer. Feels just right in the mouth. This beer is something that one has to be in the mood for. I think it would be very very refreshing on a hot summer day, it is something that I'll probably buy again, it might be a while, but I can assure you that sometime during the summer I'll be buying this beer again. If you are a fan of fruit beer that this is a must try. I won't be afraid to admit it. I like fruit beer, and this is one of the best I've ever had.

3.07/5  rDev +9.3%

This tasted very little like beer. More like raspberry flavored pop or mineral water. The fruit was just too strong for my liking. It tasted very sugary and very berry. I couldn't taste much typical beer flavors in it at all. Drinkability is therefore pretty low on this. Not my thing really. I much prefer Leinie's Sunset Wheat, where fruit flavors compliment beer flavors, instead of completely dominating them.

3.54/5  rDev +26%

Poured chilled in wine glass (all that was avail.)

A: beautiful lavender-pink, with little head
S: very lovely berry smell, but as if kool aid
T: yep, it's kool aid; and sometimes you need a beer that tastes like kool aid, so I didn't dock points; it's very sweet, in the style of a lambic, infused with blackberry and other berry flavors
M: very foamy

Once again, don't try it if you're not planning on enjoying a very sweet beer.

3.12/5  rDev +11%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Purple in color with about a finger of head. Short retention, with some lacing.

S - Berries and grapes. Mostly I get some combination of blueberries and blackberries, with grapes and perhaps raspberries thrown in. Nearly non-existant prototypical "beer" aromas.

T - Horribly sweet, with the same homogenized berry flavor from the nose. Very simple, very fruity.

M - Moderate carbonation with a mildly syrupy body. Went alright considering the flavor.

D - I didn't hate this beer, but it wasn't much of a beer and as such I would never/could never drink this as if it were just a beer. It is far too sweet.

3.45/5  rDev +22.8%

Look - semi-hazy in color and in visible texture. Two fingers worth of foam that dissipates quickly. Decent carbonation.

Smell - The berry aroma is pretty strong, after that a slight hoppiness. The berry flavor is somewhat ambiguous. Blackberries might be slightly more prominent.

Taste - very sweet at the very onset. Drinking this beer is more like drinking a strongly berry-flavored sweet tea, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Likewise with the smell, the blackberry juice taste might be somewhat more prominent. Texture is creamier than I would have thought it to be.

Drinkability - this brew is a little too sweet for me to endure in a beer, but much better-tasting than some beers of this same variety.

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a medium pink color with two fingers of head. There is just a little lacing. The smell is very fruity, lots of raspberry. Very sweet, almost smells like Lindeman's Framboise. The taste starts out good, with a lot of sweet berries up front. The finish is wheaty and somewhat phenolic. A little off-putting. The body is a little light and watery. The drinkability is just fair as well, mostly due to the taste.

2.5/5  rDev -11%

3.55/5  rDev +26.3%

This is going to be a very short and sweet review without all the technicalities.

Basically, I was in the store looking for a refreshing beer after a hard game of dodgeball, and that's what I got in this. Very sweet and fruity, as previous reviewers said- but that's what I expected when I bought it. This isn't a beer that I could have more than, maybe, two or three consecutively- but it is what it is and it makes an excellent brew for quick refreshment.

To sum it up, if you want something refreshing, this does its job quite well. If you're looking for something else, though, don't drink it.

1.75/5  rDev -37.7%

2.48/5  rDev -11.7%

OK, Wine cooler with a head? That was my first thought as I tend to be alittle careful of beers of this style. It poured a light red berry color with a rather nice pink or mauve colored head. (If my wife saw this she would want to paint our room this color for sure.) The carbonation was average and the head did stick around to lace well with web like rings. That was cool and little fiz so appearance up .5.
The aroma was sweet and berry. The taste was kinda bitter-sweet. The honey and malts provide the sweet while the berries tart the whole thing down. I thought more like a rasberry than a black.
The mouth is left pretty tart. Not a beer to go with food. Brewed or offered as a seasonal, once a year is about good enough.
Best off the fresh pour while the carbonation is still active. If it sits or warms, can't do it. Drink cold while your hot. It goes down fast with a nice little kick to it.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company