Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
2.42/5  rDev -13.6%

The name is German for White Berry. Hm. Are there any white berries? Perhaps they are trying to tell us it is a Weiss type beer, flavored with berries. The appearance is weird – kind of a salmon/coral color. A nice size foamy head that disappears without a trace. Aroma is also weird, like a floral Rhine wine. Aroma smells like a coal-tar derivative berry extract, no hops, no malt, (no cigar). Initial taste is somewhat malty, but that is overwhelmed by the honey-sweet BERRY flavoring. A thin, watery “beer” that leaves a nasty taste in your mouth. Eek.

palliko, Jul 12, 2005
2.35/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured a light reddish berry color with very little head. It smelled like a wine cooler mixed with a coors light. But to if I had to describe the taste I would say it smelled of berrys and with a hint of malt. It tasted like a mix of strong berry concentrate with a slight node of hop. Overall this beer was ok but nothing I would run out and grab again.

ryantupy, Jul 07, 2005
2.48/5  rDev -11.4%

OK, Wine cooler with a head? That was my first thought as I tend to be alittle careful of beers of this style. It poured a light red berry color with a rather nice pink or mauve colored head. (If my wife saw this she would want to paint our room this color for sure.) The carbonation was average and the head did stick around to lace well with web like rings. That was cool and little fiz so appearance up .5.
The aroma was sweet and berry. The taste was kinda bitter-sweet. The honey and malts provide the sweet while the berries tart the whole thing down. I thought more like a rasberry than a black.
The mouth is left pretty tart. Not a beer to go with food. Brewed or offered as a seasonal, once a year is about good enough.
Best off the fresh pour while the carbonation is still active. If it sits or warms, can't do it. Drink cold while your hot. It goes down fast with a nice little kick to it.

chilidog, Jun 26, 2005
1.63/5  rDev -41.8%

This beer reminded me very much of B-to-the-E in taste, smell, and appearance. Pinkish purple color, smells of grain and berry flavoring. Taste is actually quite unpleasent, sweet but has an odd funkiness about it from the malt. Not very good, I like B-to-the-E better than this, but not by much.

TastyTaste, Jun 20, 2005
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

It was the first beer I'd seen which was a purplish color. It smelled nice, but nothing to great. The taste is good, but has no real beer flavor to it. It is very drinkable with the sweet taste, however it does not taste much like beer. As a college student, I would recommend this to the coeds, but not so much for any true beer fans.

pknlincoln, May 21, 2005
1.95/5  rDev -30.4%

Appearance - Fruit punch color. Kinda cloudy. Soapy pinkish foam with some staying power. Leaves a little lacing. Looks high quality, but not real appetizing as a beer.

Smell - Strong sweet generic berry scent with a hint of underlying malt.

Taste - Very strong and sweet generic berry flavor. There is very little beer character at all. Borderline malternative. The flavor definitely isn't bad, just doesn't strike me as something that should be called beer.

Mouthfeel - Very light, thin even.

Drinkability - Nice berry-flavored summer drink that goes down easy on a hot night on the back porch. The beer qualities of this drink are, however, almost totally absent.

This is exhibit no. 1 on the list of out-of-balance fruit beers. To clarify - I like it and in the right situation would drink it. The low grades simply reflect that Leine's Berry Weiss just isn't much of a beer and doesn't, for the most part, meet the minimal standard requirements. Looks, smells and tastes like a berry flavored malternative.

scaliasux, May 16, 2005
3.43/5  rDev +22.5%

Light bodied, pink lemonade color with a nice pink head.

Aroma of blackberries with honey.

Taste starts out sweet blackberries, finishes up tart. A beer drinkers wine cooler. Actually, not bad as a desert drink.

Went down well with strawberry shortcake. A little more tart than typical wine coolers, but along the same lines.

whynot44, May 10, 2005
2.53/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours the color of red grapefruit with a thin pinkish head. Smells very sweet, grapes and raspberries. It goes quickly down hill from there. Tastes like sugary sweet fruity Kool-Aid with a bit of toasted wheat that is the only remotely redeeming flavor. The mouthfeel was thick and syrupy. Leinie's is usually reliably mediocre, and I can rely on them when faced with bad beer choices, but this one didn't sit well with me at all.

gimmehead, Mar 12, 2005
3.93/5  rDev +40.4%

This one pours a dark pink color with an off-white head that dies off quickly and doesn't leave behind much lacing. Pretty. Very sweet aroma of raspberries, but not tart at all. The malts and hops don't come through well because of the strenght of the fruit. The flavor is the same as the aroma. Lots of sweet raspberry taste with just a hint of beer in the back. Good and extremely easy to drink. It's just not very beer-like.

clvand0, Nov 15, 2004
2.28/5  rDev -18.6%

Color is a reddish/orange with some pretty good carbonation, and a foamy white head with a bit of a reddish tinge to it. Aroma is very sweet, smelling of, you guessed it, berries. No big surprise there.

Tastes of berries again, seems to focus on raspberries here, and very, very sweet. Tastes more like a malternative than a beer to me. Much to sweet for my taste. Feel is crisp, but a bit too carbonated, again, feeling like a malternative instead of a beer.

For the malternative crowd, this is probably good. I've got a buddy who is hopelessly addicted to sweet ciders, as well, and he loves this stuff. I personally don't care for the sweeter beers, and this definitelly falls into that category.

Rio, Oct 31, 2004
3.15/5  rDev +12.5%

At least once a summer I find myself picking this beer up. The beer pours a dark purple that leads to an impressive head. I can smell berries (raspberry maybe blueberry?) and canno't detect the alcohol. Mouthfeel is different, I have thought the Leinie's carbonates their beers a little too much that leads to beer gut, this beer is no exception, often times the carbonation overcomes the beer. That aside the beers tastes of a berry flavored malt, some say this is a wine cooler, but I disagree, in my opinion the beer is a little thicker than that. Beer tastes better cold and due to the carbonation it is not very drinkable, not a session beer by no means. However, one should try this at least once a year when it is season.

lampkins, Oct 18, 2004
2.35/5  rDev -16.1%

a-light purpulish color small head
s- smelled a prsescence of hops and berry traces
t-the berry taste was very strong with only a slight trace of hops
m and d- very sweet, felt like i was drinking a wine

I'll admit limited knowlege on fruit beer style. But, I feel this beer was just to sweet. I feel they could've done better evening out the berries and the hop and malt taste.

beerguy04, Oct 02, 2004
3.18/5  rDev +13.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a medium pink color with two fingers of head. There is just a little lacing. The smell is very fruity, lots of raspberry. Very sweet, almost smells like Lindeman's Framboise. The taste starts out good, with a lot of sweet berries up front. The finish is wheaty and somewhat phenolic. A little off-putting. The body is a little light and watery. The drinkability is just fair as well, mostly due to the taste.

SheepNutz, Sep 05, 2004
2.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I have to say, I like this drink, but as a beer goes, it is not exactly a stellar offering. The beer pours a pinkish color, just sort of unnatural for beer. I could handle it if this were brewed with the berry juice, but it is just flavored with it. There is not much coming through in the nose but the berry sweetness. I get blackberries and raspberries from the smell. I like a nice berry wheat beer, if the berry is involved in the fermentation. Tasting the drink, the berry sweetness kick you hard first. After swallowing, there is a hint that you are drinking a beer, but it is just an afterthought. I have to give this a bit of a kick on the drinkability, as I have been known to kill a 6 of this in a night, but because it is flavored with juice, it can't be more than slightly above average.

kmpitz2, Aug 19, 2004
3.15/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours out to a light amber with pink hues and orange accents, formins a modest lightly pink head with good retention and mild lacing. Aroma is noted across the room...tart and juicy blackberries in droves, faint suggestion of macro lager ferment, and a certain dryness. Quite nice. Carbonation is moderate. Mouthfeel is average throughout with a cloying medium body. Not as spritzy as I would expect for a "Weiss". Taste begins sweeter than expected with lots of blackberries...bitterness is quite mild, and hop aroma or flavor is absent. Did I mention this is sweet? This is probably the sweetest beer I've had (beyond the sweetness of a dopplebock, which has at least some semblance of hop balance)...it's very much like a candy flavored wine cooler. Drinkability is limited owing to it's sweetness. The fermentation has some macro twang to it, and there is no discernable "weiss" characteristics.

This "beer" of a wine-cooler actually started out nice enough, but I've quickly found that I wouldn't want more than one, it's so sickly sweet. Actually, this would probably go really well mixed 60/40 with a really good IPA or hearty stout, so as to offset the sweetness with some hop flavor and bitterness.

Mitchster, Jul 09, 2004
3.45/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is hardly a beer. I mean, it's tasty and it I like it, but it's really not what I would consider a *beer*.

It smells like Hawaiian Punch and it looks like Kool-Aide. And it tastes like fizzy Kool-Aide. Unlike the other girly drinks, malt beverages like Smirnoff Ice and Zima, Berry Weis alone can say that it's completely original. It doesn't taste like fizzy, oversweetened crap. It just tastes good, and completely unique.

I'm not going to say that every beer drinker is going to like Berry Weis, though I do think that every beer drinker should try it. It's truly in a class by itself.

mynie, Jun 29, 2004
3.28/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a cloudy pink/peach color with a very thin white head which disappeared quickly. There was no lace on the glass at all. This kind of looks to be the color of a raspberry lambic, only a shade or two lighter. The smell is of sweet berries, blackberries, peaches, maybe some raspberry. The taste is very, very sweet, a great amount of blackberry flavor with no hop flavor or bitterness at all. It even seemed a little winey towards the end. Very smooth, with no real peaks of flavor. Very light body, and highly carbonated and fuzzy. This seems right for this type of beer. Overall, didn't seem like a weiss beer at all. Too sweet for me, but not horrible.

Bierguy5, Jun 29, 2004
2.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured a cloudy purplish-pink color with a large foamy pink head. The head quickly dissipated to a bubbly pink film. No mistaking the scent... that's definitely berry! Taste is initially like a berry wine cooler, but not quite as sweet and followed by a slight taste of wheat and malt... just barely enough to call this a beer! Mouthfeel is thin but pretty well carbonated. I probably wouldn't drink more than one of these. However, this really isn't as horrible as some of the other reviews make it out to be!

jimdkc, Apr 27, 2004
1.95/5  rDev -30.4%

Berry Weiss is a strange color (equal parts yellow, orange and pink) and looks unnatural. An aggressive pour results in a decent sized off-white head, but there's minimal lace.

The aroma reminds me of a wine cooler. The artificial berry-like sweetness that greets my nose has very little in common with beer. The flavor is slightly malty, but is mostly a sickly sweet berry flavor that turns a little 'beery' at the end. Apparently, blackberry juice was used. I guess I can appreciate that. If left to my own devices, though, I would have said blueberry/raspberry. The mouthfeel is lousy. 'Thin' pretty much sums it up.

This Leinenkugel offering could fairly be described in several ways, from most accurate to least: a berry-flavored malternative, a slightly less sweet wine cooler that has a passing resemblance to beer, and a beer flavored with honey and blackberry juice (which is what it actually is). It has no business being called beer, which may be why the label reads 'bier'. Maybe the brewery's suits were trying to make it sound like a true German weissbier.

Berry Weiss reminds me of that classic Cheers episode in which Norm talks about eating at a restaurant that serves artificial meat. He specifically mentions 'bef' and 'loobster' as two of his favorites. Maybe this stuff should be called 'ber' or 'bere' since it doesn't much resemble beer.

BuckeyeNation, Jan 09, 2004
1.18/5  rDev -57.9%

Background: Got this CHEAP on end of summer clearance.

Apperance: Red. Like a blush wine.
Smell: Oh gawd, its sweet. Berries (Raspberry and/or Bueberry?)
Taste: Oh gawd, sickly sweet. No man should have to endure.
Mouthfeel: Felt good after the taste left my mouth.
Drinkability: How could a person drink more than one.

Final Thoughts: I should have known better. Not even my wife would drink more than one. Appeals to idiot White Zin drinkers. I think I stained my sink when I poured the other four down the drain.
Bad, yet I keep seeing this every summer, so someone is drinking it (or buying it to try, saying EEK! and dumping).

BigRedN, Jan 02, 2004
1.58/5  rDev -43.6%

This is truly a Hideous beer. The berry is cloying and artificial, the honey is sweet and the appearance is a down-right frightening and unatural pink. The taste has kind of puckering that reminds me a little of the mouthfeel of a wheat, but it lacks all other charecteristics of a wheat. My mother-n-law loves them but it just doesn't taste like a beer to me. I suppose it might be a good cross-over beer but it is a long, long journey from this beer to anything respectable.

elmocoso, Dec 15, 2003
1.88/5  rDev -32.9%

Another one of my least favorite beer styles. This one was too berry and way too sweet tasting for me. It had a small white creamy head with fine sized bubbles. The body was cloudy with carbonation observed and the hue was berry. The nose was heavily berry and the taste was very sweet, tart, sour and tangy. The mouthfeel was tingly, smooth with a thin-watery texture and light bodied. There was a fair amount of lacing with this beer.

hotstuff, Oct 29, 2003
1.83/5  rDev -34.6%

It's your girlfriend's beer for when she can't get a Dewey Stevens. Looks like Champale when you pour it. Gotta admit it smells nice. But tastes like a wine cooler with a bit of malt in it. Sweetness is almost saccharine. It might be okay as a hot-weather cooler, but if this is all Miller can come up with in the fruit beer category, New Glarus has nothing to worry about.
On a second tasting, I had it straight out of the bottle to avoid the disturbing blue color. Even then, you get a vaguely Trix-flavored mess.

DrunkMcDermott, Sep 29, 2003
1.35/5  rDev -51.8%

Simply ghastly. Poured a creepy pinkish color. The bottle noted blackberrys used in the brewing, but the aroma was more raspberry candy. Cloyingly sweet berry flavor. If there is beer beneath this onslaught of berry syrup, I can't find it. This is more like some malternative berry cooler than beer. I toughed it out through half the bottle, and decided life is to short to struggle on with finishing the beer.

Brent, Sep 07, 2003
2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Candy. Poured pink and light, like lemonade not beer. Very strange head that left a high honey and berry smell. I liked the smell becuase I like fruity smells in my home. Unfortunately I don't like them in my beer. I didn't taste beer in this beverage, I tasted far too much candy like sweetness. I may have to use this for a marinade sometime, but we'll see. The mouthfeel was weak and left the berry taste for too long. I can drink this again but if I'm offered something else I'd probably leave it for the teenagers to drink, not that I condone that behavior....... ;)

Ahhdball, Jul 27, 2003