Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
3.08/5  rDev +10%

A: The only color I can think of when I see this beer in my glass is of grapefruit (the meat of the fruit, not the peel). Small snow white head, dissipates quickly.
S: Lots of berry aroma.
T: Hmm, is this really a beer? Tastes more like a spritzer. Very sweet, honey and berries very prominent.
M: Have that lingering aftertaste of sweetness, but again not horrible.
D: Quite drinkable, actually. I probably won't go out of my way to buy an other one, but I am glad I finally tried this beer. I'd definitely choose this one over the Fruit Loop infused Sunset Wheat from the same brewery.

AWolfAtTheDoor, Jul 01, 2007
2.08/5  rDev -25.7%

I tried this beer on a whim. It looked average, smelled great (the berries, obviously), but I can't get on board with the taste. If I was faced with a choice between this and something like Smirnoff Ice, I'd go with this, but that's probably the only time.

TheSMUSpaz, Jun 30, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -11.4%

This beer, served in a 12 oz mug, is a rather hazy light-reddish-amber color with a very small, fading head. Nose is sweetly berry-ish, but not too cloying nor does it smell like certain childrens' cereals (as do many berry beers). Unfortunately, bleagh, the flavor is overwhelmingly sweet and cloyingly berry-laden. I can't find any detectable beer or weizen character. One-dimensional at best.

allengarvin, Jun 21, 2007
2.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Hmmm, not sure this is actual "beer". I've had a lot of other fruity wheat's before that have a lot more going for them in the beer department.

This pours a damn near pink, and is super carbonated giving you a very light pink, good size head. Gets to a ring pretty fast, a little lacing here and there. Beer smells very fruity, can't really get anything else smell-wise other than the dark berries that are super evident. The taste is basically the same as the smell. Not necessarily a bad taste, but the beer part of it just doesn't ever come through. VERY fruity, VERY sweet, VERY carbonated. This probably wouldn't be bad with a salad or some chicken during the summer time, but it's not what you're going for if you're looking to sit down with a "beer". Like someone said before, if your girlfriend hates beer, she'll probably like this.

hawksfan82, May 18, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -14.3%

Appearance: It's a bit of a hazy pink color with a one finger foamy head. Head has a slight pink color to it as well. Decent retention and very light lacing. Interesting pink color though.

Smell: Mostly smells of fresh berries (blueberry, rasberry, and strawberry). That's the overwhelming aroma. Underleath lies some earthy, grainy smells and a decent malt presence.

Taste: It's interesting, I'll give it that. Big time blueberry and rasberry taste. It's very sweet. Too sweet for what I prefer in a beer. At the tail-end is a nice malty taste that somewhat redeems it, but not completely.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Light bodied. Very sweet. I think the sweetness makes it hard to drink. I couldn't handle more than one. It's really not a bad drink. But, I'm not impressed with it as a beer. Overall, it's an interesting beer, but not a good one.

prototypic, Apr 23, 2007
2.28/5  rDev -18.6%

A - Poured out pink. Yes, pink! It also had an orangish hue. It really looked like Kool-Aid.

S - It smelled like berry. Just berry.

T - It tasted like berries only. There was NO beer taste at all. It was very sweet.

M - It was fairly crisp and light-bodied.

D - This was hard to drink. Too sweet and no real beer characteristics. I usually enjoy the style, but this one didn't do it for me.

zeff80, Apr 03, 2007
1.68/5  rDev -40%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, twist. Label is a bit different than the one pictured here - purple and gold, talks about being flavored with honey and blackberry juice.

Appearance: Wow - cloudy and really pink, just a bit orangish. Medium head with good retention - but even that is pink.

Smell: Initial whiff of blackberry syrup when it is first opened. Once it is in the glass it is a bit less sweet, with a bit of tartness to it. No beer smell at all though - it is all fruit.

Taste: Wow - blackberry soda. Just like the smell - absolutely no beer at all here - fruity, maybe this is what wine coolers are aiming for?

Overall impression: Interesting I guess, but this isn't really a beer. All fruity and sweet, overly so to be highly drinkable.

rowew, Mar 21, 2007
3.6/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours pink with a short lived pink head. Big berry smell that promises uncomprimising sweetness. Taste delivers on that note, although not near as cloying as I expected. Crisp, dare I say refreshing. Good pop like carbonation. Very soda like in character. As such, drinkability is high, but couldn't see myself drinking more than a couple in a setting.

Onibubba, Mar 05, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -7.1%

A - Purple candy color....looks like kool-aide or something. The head starts at about a half finger, but leaves an extraordinary amount of lace. The head is a lighter shade of purple. Interesting, but a purple head?

S - Smells like a macro lager with sno-cone berry syrup.

T - Berry wine cooler with a bit more fizz. Better than a wine cooler, though...sort of a wine cooler for people who lean towards beer and away from wine. Very sweet and slighty bitter berry flavor.

M - Fizzy and thin. Alcopop territory.

D - Okay as long as you don't expect this to taste like beer....because this is more berry than beery.

pmcadamis, Mar 04, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +29.6%

Drank a 12 oz. bottle of this with no freshness date. Pours a hazy bright pink, with a white, foamy head at first. Very little retention. Smell is completely dominated by sweet berries. Taste is dominated of it, too, although there's a decent malty finish. Good mouthfeel to it. Overall, not a bad beer. Not terribly complex, but it's up front about being a fruit beer, and it does a good job of fulfilling it.

ndekke39, Feb 26, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +56.4%

Eye: Ok, so this is a first. The beer is pink! Its got fairly good head retention(at about 1/2 a finger) with some splotchy lacing...the head is an off white pinkish tinted color. Clear for a wheat beer, really you could say it looks like raspberry tea of lemonade, but just a tad clearer. Definitely looks good for the girly drink that it is. A bit more head would give it something more I think. Looks more like a wine cooler than a beer though. If you're in the mindset of wine cooler it looks great but in the mindset of beer it isn't all that appetizing to the eye, just too bright for what the general idea of beer is.

Nose: This beer is extremely potent. It has aromas of chiefly raspberries and strawberries. There is an overall soda sweet aroma in this brew. It also has a somewhat sour aroma-similiar to that of a framboise lambic. Not much of a wheat aroma here, but I believe that the nose of this beer is exactly what the brewmaster was going for. If you're going to make a fruit beer, well then go all the way and make it smell fruity.

Tongue: Well you can't flaw the brewer on this brew. It is most likely one of the best fruit beer's I've ever had. There is a full flavor profile of berries in this beer. Right up front the easily identifiable and right in your face berry flavor-again chiefly raspberry and strawberry-is followed by a nice wheat flavor which nicely balances out the "girlieness" of this beer. In my opinion this is the best fruit beer, even moreso the best wheat fruit beer, that I've ever drank. If one is going to make a fruit beer than make the fruit noticeable as is done here. I like the boldness of this beer. This beer captures the best of the wine cooler world-full fruit flavor and the best of the wheat beer world-the wheat flavor. It is a real nice blend of wine cooler and wheat beer-flavor wise.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: In the mouth this beer is spritzy, just like a wine cooler. Light and a highly carbonated body are perfect for this style of beer. Feels just right in the mouth. This beer is something that one has to be in the mood for. I think it would be very very refreshing on a hot summer day, it is something that I'll probably buy again, it might be a while, but I can assure you that sometime during the summer I'll be buying this beer again. If you are a fan of fruit beer that this is a must try. I won't be afraid to admit it. I like fruit beer, and this is one of the best I've ever had.

becktone, Feb 22, 2007
3.55/5  rDev +26.8%

I had a sample of this at Leinenkugels brewery, so I'm sure it tasted a little better than what you'll find in your local beer store. However, I have to review what's available to me. If Grolsch tastes bad because it sat in a container for 2 months, tough. This had a nice fruity flavor to it, very berry like (couldn't quite place which kind). Unlike a lambic, this wasn't fizzy and champagne-like. You knew you were drinking a lagered beer. This had a smooth, malty flavor that complimented the berries nicely, so while the fruit dominated, there was more substance than just the fruit. It had a great smell, too, so you get to enjoy this with a few senses

Newglarusguy, Feb 14, 2007
1.83/5  rDev -34.6%

had a bottle at a friend's place, but to be honest I probably could have reviewed this beer without tasting it. pours cloudy and headless, decent color but where's the foam?

the nose is raspberries and sugar. tastes like raspberries and sugar. finishes wiht notes of-- wait for it-- raspberries and sugar. no wheat in evidence, except maybe in the color. there's a shade of tanginess that's just not strong enough to be interesting. if anything, it's a sign to me that this beer has potential. I could see it going a bit more in the lambic direction and still retaining some mass appeal. right now it tastes too damned much like Mike's Hard Something. and I'll be honest, drinking it makes me feel like less of a man.

bottom line: this beer is limp-wristed and cloying.

kajerm, Jan 26, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +40.4%

Like raspberry soda. Sweet, fruity, and refreshing! My initial thought was that it reminded me of some of the over-sweet Belgian fruit-lambics... and for a mere fraction of the price! And then I thought of some of the other raspberry beers from Belgium that aren't nearly as full or complex, and this one beats them hands down! That said, it pours a pinkish and ruby orange body beneath a fluffy head of pink foam. The head retention is very good and it leaves some really nice rings of craggy lace at the outset of the glass. The nose is bright with sugary fruit (it acutally reminded me of Hawaiian-Punch a bit) and not much else. In the mouth it's medium-light bodied with a dextrinous edge; and delicately prickly with carbonation... kind of like soda. The flavor is exactly as the nose suggests, but with more of a "real" fruit character. It starts sweet and finishes sweet with a healthy dose of cleansing acidity across the middle. The bitterness is very low-key, for obvious reasons; and although it lingers a bit in the finish it's never overly sweet. Again, kind of like a raspberry soda. For this type of product, I think it's one oof the better ones I've had.

NeroFiddled, Jan 25, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -4.3%

Leinenkugel's Berry Weisse pours out with minimal head over
a cloudy pink brew. The nose is not unexpectedly of berries
over the top of a yeasty odor. The flavor is, again, of berries,
with a dry finish. There's a slight aftertaste of wheat. Mouthfeel
is a bit thin. It's not that bad, but I would have preferred either
a more subtle fruit presence or a much bigger fruit flavor, but dry.
I don't think going for a happy medium is helping here. Meh. Alcohol
by volume- 4.7%.

shadow1961, Jan 16, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -13.6%

This beer is my sister-in-laws beer of discovery, she just thinks its great, we shall see. It pours a pinkish amber color with a thin white head on top, vewry visible signs of carbonation in the glass. The scent is totally dominated with the berry aroma, rasberry seems to be the strongest. The taste starts with the tartness of berries, and almost becoming overbearing, then a light wheat flavor blends in right at the end. Very thin and watery, the berries do leave the palate dry. This beer may not be what I like in a beer and I am not giving high score, but if it brings a non-beer drinking person, like my sister-in-law, to the world of beer, then I am all for it. Plus, several weeks later, I got her to try a framboise, and she was floored.

cameraman, Jan 09, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured a medium cloudy copper and pink hue. There was a three finger foamy white head. There was good retention and good lacing.

The smell was 100% sweet berry. Champagne like esters.

The taste resembled champagne with a strong berry sweetness. Only minor detection of wheat body.

The mouthfeel was dry and a bit astringent.

Overall not a very drinkable beer. Too much like a wine cooler for my taste. Interesting champagne character though.

plaid75, Oct 21, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -2.5%

A- Pink. nuff said.

S- Sweat Halle Berry, Batman! Where do I turn in my man card?

T&M- Blackberry juice, tons of carbonation and only a tinge of beer bitterness on the backside. It is like they took HoneyWeiss and dumped in Juicy Juice. Creamy syrup yet thin and watery at the same time. I look at my "beer" and notice I need a manicure.

D- This just ended my evening of not drinking beer perfectly. First I drink the Fresca tasting Sunset Wheat then this. I guess you have to see how low you can go every once in awhile. Very wine-cooler/malt beverage like and I feel somehow diminished.

teg8612, Sep 05, 2006
2.85/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Dark pink in color with a medium sized pink head. Not much lacing.
S: Blackberries and an "all-berry" scent. Some wheat and slight hop smells also. Often faint.
T: Additive tasting "all-berry" flavor with hints of wheat and slight hops. The berry flavors aren't horrible but they are not fresh tasting in the least. Refreshing-maybe, fresh-No.
MF: Light.
Overall: A below par offering and one that should be avoided.

Illinick, Aug 24, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +46.4%

Poured a hazy red color with large white puffy head. Smell is sweetish with mild berry scents in the foreground. Taste shows some weiis beer characteristics with some pleasnt berry undertones present. Finishes nice and refreshing. While not my favorite style of beer, I found this one to be a nice summer afternoon change-of-pace brew.

tgbljb, Aug 20, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +66.1%

Berry Weiss is one of the better fruit beers available in my opinion. Until very recently it was only available in the summer months, but due to customer feedback, Leinenkugel is going to offer it year round now. I have had it in 12oz bottles and on tap. In a glass it has a pinkish color and you can really smell the berry flavors. Unlike most berry flavored beers, this one is on the sweeter side and not tart at all. It has a nice amount of carbonation, but very little head retention. Perfect for a hot afternoon to cool down, and equally suitable as a palate cleansing beer after drinking some high hopped or heavier styles.

Generik420, Jul 31, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -13.6%

A pale off colored burgundy ruby color very cloudy. A white head with red tints leaves a decent amount of very sticky lacing behind.

Fresh raspberry with hints of strawberry, apricot, and blackberry. A nice crisp smell. Sweet and distinct.

Lacking backbone. Needs either more malt or some hop content to balance the sweetness. Nice berry flavors with a hint of blood orange. Some carbonation but a thin and subdued mouthfeel with a short undesirable finish. This is a one and done type of beer.

mcallister, Jul 28, 2006
1.88/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

The beer poured out a nice amber color, with a nice light head and good retention. There was good carbonation in the beer as well. Once we got past appearances the beer lost me a little. Smell gave what you would expect, raz and wheat. The taste for me was just too much, almost like artificial sweeteners, and I am one who can appreciate a fruit beer. I wouldn't go so far as to call this more of a wine cooler, but it was just too much. Mouthfeel was not quite what I expected, somewhat foamy at times. In the end I struggled to finish it.

xzqrut, Jul 26, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +51.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss. I grabbed a sixer of this on my way out of work the other day for my girlfriend to try. Yeah yeah yeah. i know. you think i'm trying to pawn this off on her. but really, she likes flavored beers from time to time, so i thought she'd like to try this. Of course, i grabbed a swig from her first beer, and ended up splitting the pack with her. This stuff is really good! It pours a rich garnet, clear ruby color, with a surprisingly thick 1/2 inch head. it doesn't have the most appealing smell, kind of fleetingly sweet and a bit funky, but nothing unappetizing. Tastes like juicy blackberries in a bowl of cereal. not overbearing, light enough to want another several. tastes great while dipping copenhagen snuff. the bittersweet balance is mouthwatering. as far as mouthfeel, it's creamy, slightly overcarbonated, but has a nice dry finish--where the cereal flavors come in. Good Beer. Get a sixer for your girlfriend and drink it for her.

CNeilP09, Jul 17, 2006
1.73/5  rDev -38.2%

This "beer" is the kind of beer that minors drink and then say that they like the taste of beer. Quite frankly, a wine cooler has more beer taste than this. It kind of looks like beer upon pouring, but then the saccharine scent and flavor gives it away. My fiance likes it a lot, but she hates beer. I’m the complete opposite.

keoki182, Jul 16, 2006