Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002

Reviews: 366 | Hads: 1,238
3.15/5  rDev +6.1%

a very interesting brew. pours a fruity purplish pinkish infused hazy gold color with a small bubbly head. smells like preserved fruit, sugary jams, and wheat. taste is better than i thought itd be, sweet like white sugar, like a spoonful of smuckers jelly, with a pleasant yeasty finish. this is not my favorite style of beer, but it is good for what it is. mouthfeel is thin and quenching, summery, drinkable. more than a couple of these might rot your teeth though. (468 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +4.4%

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellowish amber in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that died down leaving a bit of lacing on the surface and a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of blackberries in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has lots of flavors of berries, but it isn’t sweet and has a bit more acidity.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is easy to drink and has some refreshing properties. It would be a good beer for a summer day. (598 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -21.5%

This is not usually a beer I would try, but when it comes in a sampler pack, what choice do you have? It would be a sin to waste beer. This viewpoint directly conflicts with my long held belief of “Don’t fruit the beer, at least not at the brewery.”

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a chilled Frankenberry cereal bowl. Very little head retention, almost like a soda.
An interesting amber/pink color. Nothing wrong with that, I’m a fan of interesting… to a point.

That point has been crossed. The light, crisp aromas and flavors typical in a weissbier have been steamrolled by the stronger presence of fruity sweetness. This is definitely too sweet for my taste, and the slight bitterness of the hops doesn’t provide a balance. Rather, it imbues a medicinal tinge to the flavor that cannot be overlooked-- flashbacks of Robitussin and kennel cough.

I’ve been known to squeeze a little lime in my Corona or Tecate. Once or twice I have even garnished a hefeweizen with a lemon slice, but that’s about where it ends. I like tuna, I like martinis, but I wouldn’t mix up a batch of tunatinis. I guess I’m just a fan of beer flavored beer. (1,157 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +31.3%

12oz bottle poured into a Shock Top weizen glass. Neck stamped OCT3111.

Appearance - Pink body with slight orange hue. White head with a tinge of pink. Billowing head with medium retention.

Smell - Billowing head with medium retention. Raspberry and or other berries. Can't really tell.

Taste - Fruity. Refreshing. Sweet front with tart body and finish. Slight hoppiness and low maltiness. The sweetness seems to be artificial. Still delicious though.

Mouthfeel - Light. Frothy in the mouth.

Overall Drinkability - Decent fruit beer. (538 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +7.7%

The Berry Weiss beer is a good fruit/veggie beer. The berries obviously dominate the smell and taste. The color was nice with decent white head. The mouthfeel was nice a light great for summertime libations. Although to sweet for me and I would not drink alot of this stuff. (274 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -30%

Muddled pink color, no head. Aroma of corn syrup and nerds candy.

I hate to use the word disgusting, but it seems apt here. Wheat aspect is commendable, but the 'fruit' aspect, is questionable at best. Comes off more like a soda with some wheat to it, moreso than a 'beer'. This type of beer gives other fruit beers bad names. When people say cough syrup (although at least this is a 'thin' one) or kool aid beer, this kinda gives them some ammo to substantiate their claim.

Really no redeeming quality to this 'beer', other than the fact its not absolutely terrible, it just kinda sucks. (591 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Review from notes.

A: Berry Weiss is a orange/pink color with a 2 finger white head upon pouring. The head fades slowly, but leaves at least a little bit on top for the entire time. Decent lacing.

S: Lots of sugary berries, hard to distinguish which ones though.

T: Extremely sweet. Heavy berry flavor, but very sugary. There is a bit of honey and some wheat. Hard to really pick anything else out above the sugary berry flavor.

M: Light to medium bodied with high carbonation. Finishes slightly sticky.

O: The sugary/sweetness keeps this beer from being very drinkable. I was happy enough to try it, but certainly did not want another one. I can see why some people might like this beer though. (705 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +50.5%

In my opinion this beer is great on a warm summer night or anytime during the summer. I work part-time at a beer distributor and have recommended this beer to customers and it seems to sell ok when we have it in stock. my friends also seem to enjoy it too. (256 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -28.3%

12 oz can

This is the first Berry Weiss I have had in years (because it was so bad I swore it off). I figured I'd give the canned version a shot.

While this may be slightly better now versus my memory, it still isn't very good. It looks, smells, tastes and feels like thin juice or a wine cooler.

The artificial-tasting berry flavors remind me of cheap jelly. Thin and unsatisfying, even those around me who claimed to like it had a hard time finishing even one.

I know there will probably always be a market out there for this stuff but I don't know why. Not a Jacob Leinenkugel best. Probably their worst, IMHO. (617 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -10.1%

After having just experienced the horror of Rock Hard Red, I feel like maybe I can better appreciate what this one may do better for a fruit beer.

A. Cloudy dark pink. Opaque and fizzy, no head at all. Looks like clouded-up "berry" soda.

S,T. Berry soda, but not as artificial-smelling nor over-the-top smothering in your face as Rock Hard Red was. Blackberry and raspberry jam spread thick on top of the thinnest possible wheat cracker you could possibly imagine. In fact, the imaginary cracker just broke in half when you picked it up and stained your imaginary shirt with jam. This one is not entirely cloying, merely *mostly* cloying. At least I can taste some kind of wheat malt faintly in this one, so it's not all bad. Tolerable, even.

M. Like a soda in every way. Thin and watery. (791 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Pours a cloudy light red, purple pink color with a small white foam head that quickly dissipates to a film and then disappears eventually. Not much lacing.

S: Light chewrry, blueberry and blackberry scents on the nose with a small amount of toasted grain and bread.

T: Not an overly complex brew, but it reminds me of dark cherry A-Treat soda without the carbonation. A decent amount of dark berries and toasted white bread.

M: A little thin but this light body beer leaves a clean and crisp taste on the palate.

O: Not a beer I normally would reach for, but it was a refreshing choice for a 4th of July picnic where the weather was hazy hot and humid. (660 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -38%

12 oz bottle with a date of May 23 11. Sadly I bought it yesterday at Spec's, thanks for selling beer past it's pull date guys. Pours a hazed, reddish-copper color with a lavender tinted head. Retention is average and lacing is good.

Nose is very berry-oriented with more of a sweet lean than tart. Blackberry is most identifiable fruit and the wheat gets lost in the fruit-dominated aroma. More like a soda or alcopop than beer.

Waaay sweeter than I expected...leaves a syrupy, fruity residue on the lips. Beery aspects of this beverage are almost completely lost to artificial-tasting sweet fruit juice. I have a soft spot for fruit beers, but this is difficult for me to finish. I dont know if a fresher sample would help, but I cant help but think the sweet, artificial berry flavor would still be overwhelming. As much as I hate the malt beverage cliche 'panty-dropper', that is what came to mind right off the bat for this atrocity. (940 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -5.7%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Very colorful label that was eyecatching.

Appearance - Poured a orangish-pink with a 1 finger pink-white foam head that dissipates quickly. Not much lacing left behind at all.

Smell - Smells of light wheat and very sweet berry. Not much malts or hops aroma.

Taste - Tastes sweet with berry flavor very very prevalent.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability - Smooth and tasty.

This offering was much too sweet for my liking. It reminded me more of a wine cooler than a beer. I would not want to try it again. (625 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +12.8%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.
A: Orange-pink color. Two-finger head with a slight pink tint.
S: Sweet berries, a hint of malt.
T: Fairly sweet, but good. Mixed berries, again some malt. No hops present.
M: Smooth, a bit thin. Nothing special nor bad.
O: Nothing about this is remotely complex, and reminds me more of a malt cooler than a beer. That being said, it is darn tasty and I could probably knock back a six-pack without thinking twice. (450 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Man did I over do it with this stuff at Summer Fest in 1990-something. It was the year it was released so it was pretty trendy. I guess we all have those stories to tell, so blah.... blah... blah... I picked up a sampler recently so I'm giving this a go.

Poured out of a 12oz can into my Ale Asylum pint glass.

A) It's a hazy pinkish color. I gave it a pretty aggressive pour, but there was still very little head.

S) I expected more when I stuck my nose into this brew. Initially there was just light fruity notes. I will say that as the beer warmed the fruity and floral fragrance was more predominant.

T) It reminded me a bit of cough syrup. You know, the kind you don't mind taking, but it's also not doing a damn thing for you.

M) I have no complaints here.

O) I'm not opposed to fruit beers. This just wouldn't be my first choice. I mean, give me a good framboise or a kriek any day of the week. (908 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -7.1%

A - Pours pink with half an inch of white foam and soda-like carbonation. Looks an awful lot like some kind of Fanta.

S - Also smells like soda. Smells like mixed berries, possibly sugar-sweetened. This isn't necessarily a bad sign, though (although it seems a bit overdone) - it could just go with the style.

T - Can't really figure out where it's going. Fruit taste is forward, but not very strong. Then it goes pretty quickly to a little bit of hops and astringency, sliding into some standard-issue weak wheat-beer flavor in the aftertaste. New Glarus Belgian Red it ain't.

M - Surprisingly long finish for a beer that basically drinks like a soda. Thin and fizzy at first, it seems to get more substantial with time. Again, I wish it could figure out which one it was supposed to be.

Overall, not a great exemplar of the style. Be a fruit beer, or be a weizen. Can't do both. (884 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +29.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appears a pinkish red with a head quickly dissipating into a slight sweet foam.

Smells very sweet and of red berries. Borderline soda experience.

Tastes like candy with a boozy kick but is not malty or artificial tasting... Pretty "real" yet rather sweet.

Mouthfeel is thin. Starts sweet and ends sweet.

Overall this is an enjoyable experience if you know what you're getting. I'm a crazy hophead with a sweet tooth too so this is a nice wat to mix things up, especially in the warmer months. (541 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +56.2%

I'm a girl and what can I say, I like fruity drinks from time to time. But I also enjoy an ice cold beer as well. This brew offers me a little bit of both. The smooth berry brew has come to be one of my personal favorites and I would recommend you give this a try if you're looking for little something that the typical hops and barley combo doesn't offer. (356 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +10.1%

The first time I had this I thought it was really good. That was of course only having half a bottle because I split it with a friend. The task of having a whole bottle really gets too sweet.

This beer pours out as a slightly hazy purplish pink color with a white head that doesn't last very long. The smell is of sweet berries and some wheat in the back. The taste is basically a wine cooler. Very sweet berries up front that fades into a light wheat aftertaste. The mouthfeel is smooth and not highly carbonated. It's ok if you like really sweet stuff. I'll drink it if it's around for free but that about all. (614 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +16.8%

Big ups to BeerWolf77 for being a man of his word and hunting down some Wisco beers in a CAN that I had had on my Wants for a while. CAN the man get some love from a brother? I CAN always use some more CANs for this nonsense. CAN you dig it?

From the CAN: "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Since 1867."; "Beer brewed with honey and flavored with blackberry juice and other natural flavors"; "Carefully brewed by the Leinenkugel family for five generations"; "Brewed with select malted wheat and flavored with a blend of berries from the Northwoods of Wisconsin. A berry good beer!" Ha! They made a funny with that last bit. Wait, I'm supposed to be the joker/ punster/funny man around here. This is a union shop, you boys, and you should leave the funny stuff to us professionals since we take it seriously.

Direct from the Leinie Lodge to my glass, the Crack & Glug produced two fingers of cotton candy, I mean cotton candy-like pink head with good retention. For you jaspers that wonder why it is so important to decant from CAN to a glass, the visuals on this one would be your answer. Pink beer! Like pink lemonade, including a slight haze. I am cuing up the theme to "Pink Panther", "F**kin' Perfect" by Pink, and "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd as musical accompaniment. The head disappeared fairly quickly, allowing me to get my nose deep into the pink. It smelled like ... wait for it ... raspberries! What did you think I was going to type? That scent came from the equally pink, but horribly nasty Bud Light Chelada. Shame on you! I was transported back to my paternal grandmother's backyard garden, where she had red raspberry bushes in abundance and as kids, we would raid those bushes like there was no tomorrow. Mouthfeel was soda pop fizzy and the natural flavors of blackberries and raspberries were prevalent on the tongue. It reminded me of those wine coolers of the early 1980's in terms of its tart sweetness and the fizziness. I hate to say it, but this was more of a beer for the G/F who might not dig some of the other beers in the cooler. Finish was very berry-like and it was not unpleasant, but one would probably be enough for this hophead. (2,176 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +53.5%

This was an enjoyable beer. It tasted kind of dry, rather like champagne with the flavoring of berries and just a hint of carbonation. It lacked an after taste and had very little hoppy flavor. This was a very good beer from Leinenkugel and I will be very happy to buy it again. (278 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +40.7%

Appearance- pour a redish/pink color with very thick white head that has long retention, very low to any carbonation to be seen, nice unusual appearance

Smell- wheat notes dominated by blackberry and blueberry like smell on nose,very fruity nose

Taste- okay the taste on this one is pretty good better even then i think the nose, and better then i was expecting, has a lot sweetness up front but a very nice tart finish really keeping things in a nice check, i really like the sweet and sour aspect of this beer, its a very enjoyable flavor profile to me and i think alot people non beer too would like that flavor, reminds me of some different lambic kind of fruit beers i have had often at much higher prices,

Mouthfeel- medium bodied and rather creamy and pretty smooth feel

Drinkabillity- overall i found this beer to beer very drinkable and enjoyable, not sure if something i could pound all night but certainly a rather unique and tasty beer offering, i think this beer would be very well like by alot of my friends that are even non beer drinkers which can be nice to have around for when they would be around, overall wound up finding myself pleasantly surprised by this one, (1,187 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +2.7%

This 12 ounce can of Berry Weiss came from a Summer Sampler 12-Pack. I initially thought that was a cool idea, but the other three brews in the sampler (Summer Shandy, Honey Weiss, and Sunset Wheat) were all bombs. Here’s one final shot at redemption. "Best" by July 4, 2011. I cracked the can open and poured into a weizen glass.

A careful pour yields three fingers of head. Oh God; it’s pink. That goes for the head and the beer. Head retention is moderate to poor, though a lot of lacing does stick to the glass. A little bit of carbonation can be seen rising lazily. It is somewhat akin to pink champagne in appearance with an added pinch of haze.

The aroma boasts very literally of blackberries. I’m instantly taken back to my freshman year of college when I would buy Clearly Canadian Blackberry Sparkling Water from the cafeteria with my meal card. So I’m getting a warm fuzzy feeling about this; then it hits me. This is beer. Suddenly I’m not so sure what to think. At least this is being sold as a fruit beer, unlike Sunset Wheat which was labeled as a witbier but tasted like Froot Loops. So fruit beer it is, though I should note that I’m not smelling anything resembling beer.

Okay, so I have mixed feelings about the taste as well. First off, it’s delicious. The initial flavor is a virtual clone of the Clearly Canadian that I so loved and didn’t even know that I missed (do they even make that stuff anymore). This is highly carbonated and extremely sweet, with an underlying bitterness that is more reminiscent of cranberries than of hops. Only upon the finish do I notice a malt profile. There is definitely a nice wheat beer hidden under all of that artifice. Wheat flavor becomes the holding pattern into the aftertaste, reminding me that I am in fact drinking beer. But should I have to be reminded that I’m drinking beer?

Berry Weiss is light bodied, but on the heftier end of light. Alcohol is completely hidden. As stated before, there is a ton of carbonation, which would be really off-putting if not for the saccharine-like sweetness. This is a tough beer to review, because it doesn’t play by the rules, even for a fruit beer. I can’t really give it a thumbs up as beer, but this is super delicious and very thirst quenching. It’s only 4.8% alcohol by volume, but if I had a full 12-pack of these I’d be hammered.

So I think that this was my favorite “beer” in the Leinenkugel Summer Sampler Pack. While the other three brews only dabbled in ridiculousness, this beer is totally off the deep end. It might be the worst beer I’ve ever bought, but that won’t keep it out of my fridge for the foreseeable future.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
When I want beer, I do not give a Schlitz for Leinenkugel Berry Weiss. But when I want a light sparkling beverage, then I do give a Schlitz for Leinenkugel Berry Weiss. (2,916 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I hadn't had this in a while, but I still laughed when the girl who sold me it said it tasted JUST like grape juice. So I popped the top...and it smells just like red grape juice. Did Welch's make this??

The taste isn't too much of a surprise. Pretty dang sweet...definitely on par with any wine cooler. Definitely a grape presence with raspberries also in there...maybe blackberries as well. In the finish, the wheat does appear in the back along with a good tart twang from the berries that tempers it from being too overwhelmingly sweet on the finish.

It isn't a complicated beer. If you're grabbing this one, you need to be prepared for perhaps the sweetest beer you've had in quite some time. I'll admit I did enjoy it as a change. Not every beer needs to be hyper bitter...this is a decent change-up. (808 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured chilled in wine glass (all that was avail.)

A: beautiful lavender-pink, with little head
S: very lovely berry smell, but as if kool aid
T: yep, it's kool aid; and sometimes you need a beer that tastes like kool aid, so I didn't dock points; it's very sweet, in the style of a lambic, infused with blackberry and other berry flavors
M: very foamy

Once again, don't try it if you're not planning on enjoying a very sweet beer. (433 characters)

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company