Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
deaconoflove

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Ap. Cloudy with an amber and purple tinge. Not too much of a head.
Sm. Berries, grape drink, fruity, but for all that, not unpleasant.
Ta. Very strong berry flavor...like gum or candy. Mostly tasted like a sweet fruit punch rather than beer.
Mf. Smooth, nice coating, no carbonation to speak of.
Dr. Yes, it goes down easy and actually tastes good for what it is. But one will do.

07-31-2009 20:35:19 | More by deaconoflove
BlueHammer

Connecticut

3.5/5  rDev +25%

The beer poured from the bottle a light opaque reddish color with golden tones. Minimal off-white head that did not last. The many carbonation bubbles stayed long after the head disappeared. As this is a berry beer, the berry smell is very strong, almost like a sugary fruit punch. The first taste is similar. It has a very strong berry flavor, similar to a berry soft drink, with an underlying alcohol flavor. It feels light and bubbly in your mouth. For those who like berry or fruit beers, the taste is palatable, but those who don't will definitely not like this beer. If you are opposed to fruit beers, the "berry-ness" is undeniably overwhelming.

07-23-2009 00:13:59 | More by BlueHammer
VictorEHuskie

2.73/5  rDev -2.5%

My first Leinenkugel product. I never drank many berry beers before but I knew that I wasn't a big fan but had to try this anyways.

A- Red

S- Very fruity as you'd expect

T- Tasted very fruity. Too fruity. I'm not big on these fruity beers but I had to try it as it is a Leinenkugel product and I was curious.

M- Very light.

D- Very drinkable. I don't like them so I won't be drinking any more but I can see how somebody who likes them can knock a few back with ease.

07-19-2009 21:08:47 | More by VictorEHuskie
ericalbion

Vermont

2.6/5  rDev -7.1%

I am having one of these as I write this, and my first impression is that this is not very nice. As a beer drinker, this too sweet for me, it tastes more like a soda. The berry flavoring has knocked all hints that this is a weisse beer out of the palette.

This would be good for someone who doesn't like the taste of beer but is looking for a little more thrill thank mikes or smirnoffs. It is as easy to drink as those varieties.

It does smell awesome, the yeast is adding to the berry or something, and it smells like berry pie. If that same smoky hint of beer was present in the taste, this could be quite good.

Final Decree: Save your money for Long Trail or Sam Adams versions of the berry wheat (or wit).

07-19-2009 04:32:59 | More by ericalbion
ujsplace

2.93/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into a Hefeweizen glass.

A: Thick pinkish foam set atop a reddish body that leaves some fair lacing behind along with some nice chunkiness.

S: Rasberry and blueberry dominate almost like juice...

T: Pretty much like it smells. Almost like a type of fruit drink with very mild hop bitterness at the end.

M: Very light and carbonated.

D: If you are looking for something that is very similar to a wine cooler, then this may be your thing. I can see why this would be included in a summer mixed case. Pretty drinkable for the style.

07-10-2009 04:51:24 | More by ujsplace
goblue3509

2.28/5  rDev -18.6%

This beer pours a pinkish rose color. It has an off color pink head that gives way to lacing. The smell is of fruit and not much else. The taste is straight fruit. It is like drinking fruity peebles with alcohol. The mouthfeel is dry. Overall the drinkability is low, it is a little much however, my girlfriend who doesn't like beer thought it was great.

07-07-2009 17:10:15 | More by goblue3509
yesyouam

3.03/5  rDev +8.2%

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss is a cloudy, dusty rose colored brew with a thin, dense, pinkish head that has good retention and lacing. The aroma is of berries and sugar and fruit wine. It's medium bodied and sudsy, with a dry finish that's a little scratchy. It's quite sweet. The malt is almost unnoticeable. It tastes like sweet berry punch. Is this really beer?

06-30-2009 22:15:29 | More by yesyouam
mareth01

Germany

3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer poured a large 1.5 finger head that left little if any lacing behind. It had a light golden/reddish color to it.

It smell sweet light berry kool-aid.

The mouth feel was light and crisp, but it left a weird after taste.

Taste was not bad, it was very sweet and light almost like drinking a wine cooler.

Drinkability is average at best, I can see drink a few of these but the sweetness and the after taste gets old.

06-30-2009 17:18:21 | More by mareth01
KarlHungus

2.7/5  rDev -3.6%

This beer pours a cloudy pale red color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes into sparse lacing. The aroma is fruit punch Hi-C. There is nothing remotely "beery" about it. The taste is much like the aroma, but not quite as sweet, yet still very sweet. The is also a lingering, annoying artificial flavoring aftertaste. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium bodied with lively carbonation. It is nice to see Leinie's not going overboard with the carbonation like they usually do. Overall, this is more wine cooler than beer. I enjoy fruit beer when they are made with actual fruit. They one clearly is made for a lot of artificial flavorings which make it come across as an extremely processed product. I'm not a huge fan of processed homogenized products.

06-23-2009 19:17:41 | More by KarlHungus
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.33/5  rDev +18.9%

12 oz bottle in a weizen glass. Produced on date of 09149.

A - Light, slightly cloudy red-ish orange with a persistent two finger head. Mediocre retention, decent lacing.

S - Blueberries and raspberries abound. A little wheat in the background but mainly a Kool-Aid smell.

T - Holy shit is that sweet. Sugary berry flavor concoction that's exactly like overly sugar -saturated Kool-Aid. Tiny, almost impossible to detect, wheat flavor on the finish.

M - Light and very crisp like soda. Sweet as hell.

D - Quintessential "give a non-beer drinking girl a beer" beer. When all I drank was Miller Lite, I loved this beer but honestly, I could have maybe one max now. This thing is so damn sweet it's outrageous. If I would rate this on my own personal taste, the score would be lower.

06-12-2009 16:27:34 | More by BeerFMAndy
ThaBobfather

3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Has a pinkish bubbly pour with a lace of glass rimming head.
Smell is abundant in sugar, blackberry, and raspberry.
Taste is nearly like merlot. Warm, I'd think I'd be drinking red wine.
Finish is crisp, but the berry taste that should stay, doesn't.
Drinks ok, but sometimes the sweet taste makes it a tougher sip.

06-11-2009 02:25:13 | More by ThaBobfather
webbcreative

Oklahoma

2.38/5  rDev -15%

Poured Golden Reddish Color with minimal white head. Smells really sweet, even cloyingly so, I hope the taste isnt like that...
Taste, is again pretty sweet, im sure its from the fruit juices added, and also tastes like fruit syrup is added along with other artificial sweeteners. ugh, not to my liking. Also has a tartness to it that i dont like either. not for me.

Overall, this is a fruit beer, hard to find a good one out there, and well, looks like I didn't find it here either.

05-27-2009 22:17:36 | More by webbcreative
SaintPeter

1.4/5  rDev -50%

The cap was a bitch to twist off, it tore my hand up. I hadn't even opened it yet and it was making me disgruntled. Pours a hazy peach orange/yellowish color (doesn't seem natural!) with a huge bubbly white head that disappears instantly, sort of like Alka-Seltzer, leaving a spackle of cling here and there. Highly carbonated, it would make a good dry ice bomb.

Smells exactly like a sickly sweet, low quality tropical fruit wine cooler with an addition of a light lager. Fake fruit wafts and it is way too sweet. The under-age and beer-haters would love this!

The taste follows the smell--way too sweet and artificially fruity, not even sure what kind of fruit it would be. Like bad sangria with canned fruit floating in it. That sums it up. Too sweet to drink.

Way too foamy in the mouth. The bubbles take over....however, that might be better than actually tasting it. Splenda/Aspertame sweetness, the artificial stuff. Yuck.

Extremely difficult to finish, and I am not one to waste a beer. A bad artificial rendering of a berry beer. Steer clear...unless you want an overly artificial sweetened and flavored fruit, fizzy wine cooler/beer train wreck. I'd rather have a Genny Cream with a Jolly Rancher dropped in it!

If this is targeted toward women, I feel bad for the women and their taste buds--they will never know what beer tastes like. I know I have been hard on this beer(wine cooler)but it was killed my taste palate and made me not like super sweet candy-type stuff anymore. A bad beer(wine cooler)deserves a bad review. Sorry, Jacob!

05-20-2009 18:05:33 | More by SaintPeter
tjwarren

3.15/5  rDev +12.5%

While Leinenkugel's is not my favorite beer in the world I do admire them for what they do and how they do it, mainly by not overdoing it. Their fruit beers are definitely niche products and either liked or not liked but they are good for what they are.

The appearance would put most guys off but girls love it. It is pink. The only beer I have ever seen pink. All the girls ooohed and ahhhhed when they saw it.

The smell is good. I do not have a great sense of smell so I was not overpowered by it but I could see how some could be. It smells of berries. Not too sweet but no beer smell that I could detect.

Taste was good for what it was. It was not a wine cooler or a soda pop Miller Chill. It had more beer taste than I thought it would and seemed well balance between the beer and berry tastes. Again not really my thing but if I were at a picnic and handed one I would enjoy it.

I found nothing special about the mouthfeel. It was very average. Not slick, not effervescent, not slimy, almost not there. More taste than mouthfeel. No afterburn either. Probably the weakest thing about the beer.

Drinkability, one is good (maybe great depending on the day), two would be o.k. but I don't that anyone would wnat anymore than that. It is very low ABV so it is quite manageable to move on to something else if desired.

It is a decent simple beer to have as a break from the more complex stuff. Just a frolic, but still maybe memorable.

05-20-2009 00:32:36 | More by tjwarren
TheSarge

2.78/5  rDev -0.7%

I can't complain about the appearance of this brew. From a decent pour, it has a good amount of head that retains as light lacing through to the end of my 12oz serving. The body is hazy, and plum in color. I'd bet there's color added to this brew to make it more appealing to the masses.

Taste and smell wise it's all tart berries... Nuff said.

Okay, this is a wine cooler basically. Tastes good and refreshing, but not a classic beer style.

05-13-2009 15:28:09 | More by TheSarge
marvin213

2.4/5  rDev -14.3%

It's a pink beer--like a carnation ale. Interestingly, I read that it's honey and blackberries, but its pinkish tone gives off more of a raspberry and/orcherry vibe. As usual, I start my review unable to avoid seeing the present grade (C+). It looks like a fruit beer--not syrupy or anything, but it's supposed to have some color! Since I knew I was having this style beverage, I expected something like this...and I like it. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not really fizzy (like other macro fruit beers I've experienced). Quite frankly, I think it's a very good-looking beverage.

The smell is a little much. I've read about the smell of artificial sweetness (not just subtle sweeteners, but the core of the taste), and the smell gives me that suspicion. It's a very berry smelly.

Maybe I was wrong about the syrup. I must've been fooled by the look because it tastes purty syrupy. Maybe that's the honey, but (and perhaps this is because of the smell) it tastes synthetic. Sure strawberries taste better with sugar on top, but you CAN overdo the sugar. At the very least, this beer hinges on overly sweet. I love fruit beers, but this one is too much like a fountain drink. It does taste kind of like those concentrated cola bags mixed with water. Not that it's bad, but it's certainly not a manly beer (what was I expecting, right?). It's like a beer cooler.

The mouthfeel is dominated by sweetness. It's also carbonated. A neat sensation at first, but I tire of it quickly. All this sugar (or aspartame or whatever) kills the drinkability. I think when I looked at this beer it reminded me of Fort--a beverage I've really enjoyed. Not that it's trying to compete with that, but this one pales in comparison. If you drink this, you should share it...but you could probably do without.

05-11-2009 00:54:54 | More by marvin213
Monsteruss

3.58/5  rDev +27.9%

The foam was light wheat with a obvious reddish pink hue that dissapated quickly. The color was a apple red haze with a wheat lighlight. The smell - the 1st experience was a dominate rasberry aroma with small hints of blueberry. Couldn't really smell anything else. Taste had a somewhat dominate rasberry overtone with deep undertones of wheat, blackberry and a sharp crispness at the end. Mouthfeel - smooth, fruity and somewhat light-bodied. Drinkability - with the smoothness of the wheaty fruit, it was a good session.

05-08-2009 23:10:59 | More by Monsteruss
jera1350

2.73/5  rDev -2.5%

A- Cloudy pinkish in color. Looks like grapefruit juice. One finger head that quickly goes. No lacing.

S- Smells like a berry lemonade flavored Kool-Aid. Berry wine coolerish smell. Slight bit of alchohol.

T- Literally tastes like an ale mixed with berry lemonade Kool-Aid. Sweet berry flavor. Kind of tasty, but a little too wine coolerish for me.

M- Lighter bodied, fizzy carbonation. A bit flat.

D- One or two is about all I could do on a hot summer day. A little too artificial in the flavor department for me.

05-05-2009 02:39:20 | More by jera1350
lstokes

3.35/5  rDev +19.6%

This is obviously not a BeerAdvocate kind of beer, but I didn't hate it. Pinkish coloring, not really making a statement.

Smelled like raspberries and blackberries, tasted like a lager with berry juice mixed in, mouthfeel made me think I was drinking something like a Berry 7-Up. A bit sticky.

I thought it was pretty refreshing, if not in the way a good beer is refreshing--I could see myself drinking one in the summer out of a cooler at the beach when I just wanted a very light beer buzz. So high drinkability, average everything else.

05-02-2009 23:56:04 | More by lstokes
cnally

Indiana

2.85/5  rDev +1.8%

leine's premier seller up here in northwest indiana. at least with the group of middle aged almost retirees that I know.

uh, wine cooler pink coloring and a pink head. weird.

scents of artificial raspberry.

tastes of artificial raspberry.

a good fluffy, fizzy sticky feel, for some reason is very refreshing in the way that 7up or squirt is refreshing.

a good fruit beer. how good that is, not very good. but it isn't a true beer. but it is really refreshing and subs well for juice. maybe I am just making it seem better for everyone I know that swears by this beer after a hard day of work.

05-02-2009 00:57:19 | More by cnally
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pinkish orange color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of berries of course, light malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is starts with the sweet and tart flavors of various berries. There's also some honey and wheat in there. The malt character is a little heartier than most fruit beers and the hops presence is very mild. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, this one is just another in the multitude of berry-flavored beers. There was nothing I detected that makes it stand out any more than any beer of its kind.

04-28-2009 03:12:12 | More by TheManiacalOne
Wasatch

Utah

3.53/5  rDev +26.1%

Pours a nice cloudy golden orange/amber color, nice carbonation, very nice one-finger plus foamy white head, with some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, with some yeast, berries. The taste is malty, slight yeasty, some berries in there. Medium body. Drinkable, not too bad, better than I expected.

04-16-2009 00:38:50 | More by Wasatch
Cylinsier

2.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a slightly hazy amber with an almost nonexistant hint of berry violet in it. The head is pure white, thin, and receds to nothing more than a film pretty quickly.

Smells of malt and the aforementioned berries. Black, blue, maybe rasp. Apparently it contains flavors a from a blackberry/raspberry hybrid fruit, but I've never had that anyway so I wouldn't know how to identify it anyway.

The taste is pretty sugary, like sweetened fruit juice, followed by the beer malts. Its not bad if you're into fruit beers.

Mouthfeel is full and sticky, and the carbonation comes through, but its pretty smooth.

Overall, an okay brew for what it is. Too sweet for me to seek it out on a regular basis. Kind of refeshing though.

04-14-2009 21:26:58 | More by Cylinsier
Mistofminn

3.48/5  rDev +24.3%

This is the last of the year-round beers offered currently by Leinenkugels that I have yet to review. Now as soon as I get around to reviewing the Oktoberfest I'll have reviewed all 11 seasonal and year-round.

Pours a cloudy grapefruit-juice color. The one finger white head has the slightest pink tint to it, but not as much as the box would lead you to believe. Head diminishes quickly, and leaves no lacing.

Smell is very strange. I haven't had many fruit beers, but honestly this smells more like a girly drink you would find at a bar, mixed with a little bit of beer. Don't get me wrong, you can definitely tell this is a beer, and not a fruit drink. It just smells like you mix 2 parts beer with 1 part berry lemonade.

The taste is much much more fruity than the aroma. My first sniff definitely didn't try to hide the fact that fruity tastes were to come, but I never thought it would be this strong! I can barely taste the beer! It honestly tastes like a mixed vodka or gin drink with smooth berry lemonade. Despite how bad I make it sound, it somehow pulls it together and works! I actually enjoy this, sort of. Don't get me wrong, I would never be able to drink a ton of these in one sitting, I get the feeling it would make me sick to my stomach. Maybe I'll give these to the girlfriend so maybe I can tear her away from her Mich Goldens.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth. There is a decent amount of carbonation, but it's surprisingly not very crisp. Very smooth. Medium body, which surprised me, as I assumed it would be leaning towards lighter.

Definitely drinkable, but like I said earlier, I get the feeling that drinking many of these in one sitting would make me ill. Still though, taking down one of these is not a problem. Even if I feel like I'm drinking a girly drink, so what?

04-05-2009 02:08:30 | More by Mistofminn
earthboundagain

3.53/5  rDev +26.1%

Appearance: A thin whitish head that was gone as soon as it was there. The beer itself is a ruby reddish color, like the meat of a grapefruit.

Smell: A strong blackberry scent, but with a hint of raspberry. The smell is good kind of of like when you pull a cobbler out of the fridge.

Taste: Not much wheat in this one but you gets a great berry flavor. Has a malty flavor throughout, though it's stronger at the finish. A slight alcohol flavor, that reminds you of a hard cider.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated and extremely thin, thinner then a cider and a little thicker then a wine cooler.

Drinkability: This is an easy drinker, and would make a good beer for that summer family reunion.

Side Notes: Ok this is a live review, I am drinking at the comp, as I type this. I really know why my girlfriend likes these now. Reminds me of a hard cider, and that's not a bad thing to say, but this is a beer we have to remember. I can see this being a great brew to cook with, and the next warm say I am going to give it a shot on the grill. This would take the place of a blackberry brandy on boneless pork chops.

03-29-2009 16:05:21 | More by earthboundagain