Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
3.8/5  rDev +35.7%

A: poured a pinkish purple into my tulip with a finger of head tha had hardly any lacing on the glass.

S: intense berry aromas that almost make the beer smell like fruit punch. Very little malt character without any hop presence.

T: a very crisp berry kick that reminds me of a blonde style brewed beer with the fruit added. I kinda gotta a slight wheat flavor after a couple sips too.

M: meduim bodied with good bubbly carbonation to add the overall fruit backbone.

D: probably would only drink one due to the sweetness of the beer but a good offering from leinenkugel. Sunset wheat is still my favorite from them.

3.35/5  rDev +19.6%

Aroma - Berries and some wheat characteristics in the background but pretty much all berries though.

Appearance - The beer poured a orangish color with a big white head. Pretty much average for a beer.

Taste - Sweet and berry, I found the flavor good in a guilty pleasure sort of way. Not very beer like but enjoyable. I'm not too sure how many of these I could drink.

2.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: cloudy, 1/2 inch head, neon purple with a bit of red and brown in color, high carbonation, lots of lacing

Smell: berries: strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries

Taste: berries: strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries..some wheat

Mouthfeel: sticky sweet, light bodied, high carbonation

Drinkability: On a hot day I could have a couple, but this is kind of hard to finish on a cold day. It almost tastes more like a wine cooler. Sometimes the flavor is a bit too sweet. Leinies has way better beers in their offerings. Would not disgard this in their mix pack, but would never buy a six of it.

1.35/5  rDev -51.8%

Now I'm a big fan of wheat beer, but this one is 8 kinds of wrong. It tastes like some kind of strawberry soda, and I'm sorry but that's just not right for a wheat beer.

Good and bad:

Good:
Umm... it's technically still a beer right...? Right...?

Bad:
The flavor is just all kinds of wrong.

I normally try to be gracious about beer, but this one's recipe needs to be scrubbed.

3.6/5  rDev +28.6%

Appearance: Think raspberry ice tea out of a drink fountain at McDonald's.

Smell: Extremely fruity. Raspberries and blackberries especially. Not a bad smell, but not a beer smell. I like it.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Ok, this stuff is not necessarily biter but, but fairly sour. Tastes like fruit punch and raspberry ice tea (see above). If you love berries, you might like this. Supreme smoothness and suprisingly thick...leaves a sugary residue in your mouth.

Drinkability: Considering it does not taste like alcohol at all, you can chug this stuff with no problem. (I did.)

Overall: Refreshing on cool to warm spring/fall afternoon. Definitely fits into Leinie's fruit obsession.

A: Dark cherry/amber. Fruit looking. Raspberry, all those berry fruit colors you might enjoy. Some lacing with a nice light tan/berry colored head.

S: Raspberry, blackberry, and all those berry fruits you might enjoy.

T&M: Light bodied, crisp and verry smooth. Berries, berries, berries.

Come on!!! This is not a science project. It is the most sessionable, high quality, berry beer you'll ever taste. This stuff is great for the price and for its main stream flavor. It's not too malty and it is definitely not cheap tasting. It's a quality berry flavored ale with mass appeal. If you like berry flavored anything, you'll love this. If not, don't try it!!!

3.03/5  rDev +8.2%

12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A - After being poured steadily into the pint glass, a respectable half finger head rises above a slightly hazy, reddish orange body. The head fades to a lace with a thicker ring around the glass after a couple minutes.

S - Lots of berries as expected but there isn't the authentic smell. Rather the berry smell seems somewhat artificial. Not a whole lot else coming to me when smelling this beer but the berry smell does get some praise even though I suspect it's at least partially artificial.

T - Much like the smell, as the taste is dominated by the berry flavor. Wheat is present as well but much more faint than the berry aspect of this beer. The bottle claims there is honey in this beer but I am not getting any. Overall, this tastes like a wine cooler that has gotten kicked up a notch or two.

M - Light bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. Lots of berries as the beer enters the mouth. Carbonation arrives and gives you a hint of wheat present in this beer. Finish is somewhat smooth and clean, but this beer resembles too much of a wine cooler to give it a higher score.

D - I could see myself having one of these at most during a hot day. Quite frankly, this beer probably won't appeal to most people on this site because it's so dumbed down and basic. While I know this isn't one of Leinie's best sellers I have no doubt they do quite well with the casual beer drinkers in the summer time. I would probably go for just about any other Leinie's offering before I would grab this one.

3.45/5  rDev +23.2%

Now for a fruit beer, this one doesn't seem to have the slightest hint of malt nor hops. This brew has quite a following, and not in a fancy kind of way. This could definitely fall into the category of "beers to get people away from Macros" but don't expect it to last beyond the first 6 months or year, although many of my lady friends swear by it. Definitely something to get the non craft drinkers to convert, although it is pretty darn sweet. I must admit that I will occasionally have a glass on tap, although it is certainly not the "gift" it once was in my novice beer palette.

Leinie's is hard to characterize. A stepping stone to the real stuff, I suppose.

2.8/5  rDev 0%

Ah, Berry Weiss. When I picked this up during my quest to try the entire Leinie's lineup, the cashier said this was HIS favorite. Definitely got my hopes up too soon.

Pours almost a fuschia color, fairly perplexing. Head is gone practically before it appears. Slightly hazy.

Smell is certainly of berries: black, blue, possibly rasp. Tough to distinguish much else, though some of the alcohol strangely comes through.

Tastes like ...carbonated Capri-Sun. The extremely minimal amount of malt almost seems to get in the way, this truly is a fruit focused drink.

*Leinenkugel BC recommends mixing HoneyWeiss with Berry Weiss, to create the 'HoneyBear'. We tried this, figuring it couldn't get any worse, and it actually essentially ended up tasting like Mike's Hard Lemonade, so yes, an improvement.*

I'm not a big fan of the Berry Weiss. It is an extremely rich and sweet beer (of course berry is the overwhelming flavor). It might be an alright dessert beer, but I have trouble drinking one bottle of it, it is just a little too fruity. I would only recommend this beer if you are looking for something very sweet to drink.

4.15/5  rDev +48.2%

I purchased this at a Hyvee in Omaha, Nebraska. The beer has a dark pink body with a white head. The aroma and taste are berries, berries, and more berries with some wheat thrown in. Mouthfeel is kinda light, but also crisp. This is the beer that got me out of malternatives, and will never go back. Very drinkable if you like fruity malt beverages that still can be called beer.

3.3/5  rDev +17.9%

A: Dark pink with a light white head

S: Smells a lot like a sweet whine. The berry dominates

T: Very strong berry taste with a nice wheat background.

M: light and crisp with no burn or bitterness

D: as long as you like sweet flavors it's incredibly drinkable

Overall, a nice easy beer for those that don't love the taste of beer.

2.8/5  rDev 0%

Bought a 6 pack for drinking around a bonfire and ended up drinking 1 and giving the rest away. The coriander in this beer is so too strong for my taste. The 'berry' taste comes across as something more akin to fruity pebbles cereal.

This beer is certainly not for everyone and it definitely wasn't for me. If you have a sweet tooth for something like this, tho, go for it. It is highly drinkable and would be nice for drinking by the pool or perhaps paired with some food. Personally, I wont be buying it again.

3.88/5  rDev +38.6%

Appearance- This beer is a light shade of raspberry red in color with a white head. Very unique appearance!

Smell- Rating is subjective to what you like in a beer. Smells like berries with a little bit of hops, which I found to be a very pleasant smell. Could have a stronger aroma, though.

Taste- This is a very subjective category in terms of a rating, as well. The taste of raspberries dominates this brew. You can also taste bitter hops, but it's masked quite a bit by the berry flavor. If you like berries and fruit-flavored beer, this is a winner. If not, then you will not care for the taste much at all.

Mouthfeel- There's a fair amount of carbonation, which I enjoy, and it's pretty thin. Has the mouthfeel of a typical American light lager.

Drinkability- This a beer that goes down easy in limited quantities, but after having a couple, the sweetness becomes a bit much, so it's not easy to drink this stuff in large quantities.

Overall- This is one of favorite beers to sit down to after a long day. The prevalent berry flavor makes this enjoyable for me, but I wouldn't want to drink more than a couple of these at a time.

3.2/5  rDev +14.3%

Consumed 12/25

A: This beer pours a golden color with a reddish/pink tinges to it. A one finger white head sits on top, recedes very slowly and leaves some nice wispy lacing throughout.

S: Nose is of berries, some honey, some light malts are also present.

T: Taste is what it is. This is a very sweet beer. Berry presence, with honey make it sweet all the way through. There is a decent malt presence as well, but sweetness is the dominant on this one.

M: Lighter side of medium body, high carbonation, smooth going down with a somewhat sticky finish.

D: This is an OK beer, the ABV makes it sessionable, and could see myself potentially going for this one on a hot summer day. Other than that, nothing really stands out about this beer.

3.35/5  rDev +19.6%

A - Red and cloudy. Looks like a berry, maybe looks like a dark fruit juice? I don't know, a very unique look. Not like many beers I've had. Foamy bright white head.

S - Smells like berries. Alot like berries.

T - Berries, berries, berries, and a little bit of beer.

M - Smooth, creamy. A good mouthfeel for me.

Overall an interesting beer. Worth a try. Not good for a session beer unless you're a fan of malternatives. The sugary, acidity would affect my stomach.

2.55/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Cloudy dark yellow bordering on brown with about a finger of white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Strong artificial raspberry (and other berry) smell which is saccharine and saturates the nose.

T: This is the closest to wine/malt cooler that I have ever tasted in a beer. There is a lot of raspberry/ generic wild berry flavoring at the outset which is followed by an astringent alcoholic tinge (a sharp taste of phenols crops up here) and undesirable, metallic adjunct malts. Did someone slip Smirnoff Ice into the bottle instead?

M: Relatively thin with medium carbonation.

D: This seems much more like a flavored malt beverage à la Bacardi Razz or Smirnoff Ice. I can't in all honest opinion write an truthful review of this since I don't consider this to be a beer. Sure, it's drinkable, but where does the "Weiss" come into the equation?

4.05/5  rDev +44.6%

Easily one of my favorite beers. Sometime you want a little flavored beer now and again.

A - Pretty average pinkish lemonade like color.
S - The berry smell is awesome in this beer. Almost too good.
T - Man what a treat of a beer! Berry delicious with just a hint of sour. Like a poor mans lambic.
M - Watery but full bodied.
D - I could easily slam a six pack without thinking twice. It really does have a "light beer" tone to it so you really don't notice its around 5 percent.

Overall I used to get this by the case but now I tend to try better things. Really a good beer and I would agree that if your in the mood for a fruit beer and don't want too much sour crack open a Leine!

2.3/5  rDev -17.9%

I had a bottle of this in the fridge from a tailgate party and thought I would give it a go. It pours a muted pink hue. I'd swear it was raspberry lemonade if I didn't know better. The aroma is rather promising. It smells super fruity. Lots of berries with a bit of sourness. The flavour is not good. There's a hint of berry with a malt overtone that finishes with a corn like after taste. It's as if you made a shandy with miller lite and pink lemonade. Sorry Leinies, not my cup of tea. Thankfully the Wisconsin faithful will pick up my slack when it comes to drinking this stuff.

4.22/5  rDev +50.7%

Wow is this really beer it almost taste like a smirnoff ice rasberry malt cooler. I find it one of the easiest things in the beer category to drink although it is so sweet it is almost a desert. Smell is like a cider almost. Mouthfeel is kind of bleh, not bubbly enough.

2.8/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Has a dark gold color that is very cloudy with a very small head.

Smell: Strong raspberry/blackberry smell. Not bad, but such a strong fruit aroma concerns me a bit.

Taste: Well, the smell predicts the taste. It's very fruity and somewhat lambic-ish. It's not bad, but it's a bit sweet for my taste.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin without being too watery.

Drinkability: It's okay, but it is just too sweet for me. The fruit flavors are very overpowering and it's just not something I could get again. I had one, and will probably only ever have one.

2.93/5  rDev +4.6%

This one is a cloudy reddish-brown with an odd pinkish tint. A whitish head sits pretty thick for a little while at about two fingers and retains pretty well, leaving a little thin lacing around.
The aroma is...well, fruits. It's a bit artificial with a saccharine sweetness. A very light grains presence is barely detectable, but there's no malt or hops presence noted.
Fruits are all over the flavor as well, with a sugary sweetness and, again, lingering grains. Malts remain undetectable, though a light hops presence sits underneath.
The body is on the light side of medium and there's a crisp bite to it.
It's better than the mess I imagine a totally macro effort at a fruit beer would be, but average as it is.

2.7/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a hazy yet pale red color with a white to gray head that dissipated immediately.

(S)- Smells seriously fruity! Raspberry, Strawberry, cherry, and blueberrry. Has a sugary sweetness behind it.

(T)- The massive fruits from the smell become really subdued in the taste. They are there, but are hidden behind a corn husk and strong sugary sweetness.

(M)- Kinda lackluster in all categories besides smell. Even the carbonation could be better.

(D)- A fun beer to have around for parties for people who dont like beer but will drink this :/ But nothing really great in my opinion. Reminds me of a wine cooler. I would much rather have something else than this anyways.

2.98/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a rather sickly pinkish-brown, hazy body topped with an inch of dense white foam that shows average retention and leaves little lace. This would get at least a 3.5 if it weren't for the unappetizing color.

S: Super-sweet mixed berry aroma is overwhelming, but not unpleasant. I actually caught a whiff of dark cherries up front that reminded me of a quad - something I never, ever expected to compare to this "beer." That moment of similarity was quickly supplanted, though, but the more superficially sweet berries that dominate this brew.

T: Sickeningly sweet, with blackberries, raspberries, and cherries completely controlling the flavor profile - no malt, no hops, nothing but fruit. A little sourness on the finish keeps it from being completely cloying, though.

M: Light-to-medium-bodies with ample, but understated, carbonation. No complaints here.

D: A bit overly sweet, but the slightly tart finish keeps the sweetness from precluding quaffability. I personally wouldn't want to drink more than one of these, but that's more a reflection on my own distaste for heavily fruited beers than a condemnation of this brew's actual drinkability.

Notes: I'll always remember Berry Weiss as the first full beer I ever drank - thanks, Eric's uncle, for hooking up some twelve year olds with girly beer. At the time I thought it was absolutely delicious, but my tastes have obviously matured just a bit since then. Now, I find it boringly artificial in its onslaught of overly sweet fruit - but I bet that preteens and non-beer drinkers the world over would still find it tasty and accessible. It does what it aims to do reasonably well - I just wish Leinie's would stop making beers like this for the lowest common denominator and come out with something for BAs genuinely to enjoy.

Cheers!

3.58/5  rDev +27.9%

Ok, it could have been a trick, my imagination wandering, but I could have sworn the beer poured pink. It's a cloudy amber with tinges of red from the berry. Nice creamy head. It is a very nice looking beer.

It smells like raspberries, blueberries, and cream. Quite sweet and drinkable.

I taste bleberries, strawberries, and raspberries with a light wheat beer finish. Not bad.

The beer is quite drinkable. I'm a sucker for fruit beers, but there are some better ones on the market. I could drink a few of these under the right circumstances and would consider drinking it again. As long as it doesn't turn pink again.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company