Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
3.35/5  rDev +19.6%

A - Red and cloudy. Looks like a berry, maybe looks like a dark fruit juice? I don't know, a very unique look. Not like many beers I've had. Foamy bright white head.

S - Smells like berries. Alot like berries.

T - Berries, berries, berries, and a little bit of beer.

M - Smooth, creamy. A good mouthfeel for me.

Overall an interesting beer. Worth a try. Not good for a session beer unless you're a fan of malternatives. The sugary, acidity would affect my stomach.

jaycount, Dec 27, 2009
2.55/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Cloudy dark yellow bordering on brown with about a finger of white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Strong artificial raspberry (and other berry) smell which is saccharine and saturates the nose.

T: This is the closest to wine/malt cooler that I have ever tasted in a beer. There is a lot of raspberry/ generic wild berry flavoring at the outset which is followed by an astringent alcoholic tinge (a sharp taste of phenols crops up here) and undesirable, metallic adjunct malts. Did someone slip Smirnoff Ice into the bottle instead?

M: Relatively thin with medium carbonation.

D: This seems much more like a flavored malt beverage à la Bacardi Razz or Smirnoff Ice. I can't in all honest opinion write an truthful review of this since I don't consider this to be a beer. Sure, it's drinkable, but where does the "Weiss" come into the equation?

thekanna, Dec 21, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +44.6%

Easily one of my favorite beers. Sometime you want a little flavored beer now and again.

A - Pretty average pinkish lemonade like color.
S - The berry smell is awesome in this beer. Almost too good.
T - Man what a treat of a beer! Berry delicious with just a hint of sour. Like a poor mans lambic.
M - Watery but full bodied.
D - I could easily slam a six pack without thinking twice. It really does have a "light beer" tone to it so you really don't notice its around 5 percent.

Overall I used to get this by the case but now I tend to try better things. Really a good beer and I would agree that if your in the mood for a fruit beer and don't want too much sour crack open a Leine!

DrDemento456, Dec 12, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -17.9%

I had a bottle of this in the fridge from a tailgate party and thought I would give it a go. It pours a muted pink hue. I'd swear it was raspberry lemonade if I didn't know better. The aroma is rather promising. It smells super fruity. Lots of berries with a bit of sourness. The flavour is not good. There's a hint of berry with a malt overtone that finishes with a corn like after taste. It's as if you made a shandy with miller lite and pink lemonade. Sorry Leinies, not my cup of tea. Thankfully the Wisconsin faithful will pick up my slack when it comes to drinking this stuff.

beerwolf77, Dec 04, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +50.7%

Wow is this really beer it almost taste like a smirnoff ice rasberry malt cooler. I find it one of the easiest things in the beer category to drink although it is so sweet it is almost a desert. Smell is like a cider almost. Mouthfeel is kind of bleh, not bubbly enough.

hdofu, Dec 01, 2009
2.8/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Has a dark gold color that is very cloudy with a very small head.

Smell: Strong raspberry/blackberry smell. Not bad, but such a strong fruit aroma concerns me a bit.

Taste: Well, the smell predicts the taste. It's very fruity and somewhat lambic-ish. It's not bad, but it's a bit sweet for my taste.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin without being too watery.

Drinkability: It's okay, but it is just too sweet for me. The fruit flavors are very overpowering and it's just not something I could get again. I had one, and will probably only ever have one.

civilizedpsycho, Nov 13, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +4.6%

This one is a cloudy reddish-brown with an odd pinkish tint. A whitish head sits pretty thick for a little while at about two fingers and retains pretty well, leaving a little thin lacing around.
The aroma is...well, fruits. It's a bit artificial with a saccharine sweetness. A very light grains presence is barely detectable, but there's no malt or hops presence noted.
Fruits are all over the flavor as well, with a sugary sweetness and, again, lingering grains. Malts remain undetectable, though a light hops presence sits underneath.
The body is on the light side of medium and there's a crisp bite to it.
It's better than the mess I imagine a totally macro effort at a fruit beer would be, but average as it is.

Brenden, Nov 02, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a hazy yet pale red color with a white to gray head that dissipated immediately.

(S)- Smells seriously fruity! Raspberry, Strawberry, cherry, and blueberrry. Has a sugary sweetness behind it.

(T)- The massive fruits from the smell become really subdued in the taste. They are there, but are hidden behind a corn husk and strong sugary sweetness.

(M)- Kinda lackluster in all categories besides smell. Even the carbonation could be better.

(D)- A fun beer to have around for parties for people who dont like beer but will drink this :/ But nothing really great in my opinion. Reminds me of a wine cooler. I would much rather have something else than this anyways.

sweemzander, Oct 26, 2009
2.98/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a rather sickly pinkish-brown, hazy body topped with an inch of dense white foam that shows average retention and leaves little lace. This would get at least a 3.5 if it weren't for the unappetizing color.

S: Super-sweet mixed berry aroma is overwhelming, but not unpleasant. I actually caught a whiff of dark cherries up front that reminded me of a quad - something I never, ever expected to compare to this "beer." That moment of similarity was quickly supplanted, though, but the more superficially sweet berries that dominate this brew.

T: Sickeningly sweet, with blackberries, raspberries, and cherries completely controlling the flavor profile - no malt, no hops, nothing but fruit. A little sourness on the finish keeps it from being completely cloying, though.

M: Light-to-medium-bodies with ample, but understated, carbonation. No complaints here.

D: A bit overly sweet, but the slightly tart finish keeps the sweetness from precluding quaffability. I personally wouldn't want to drink more than one of these, but that's more a reflection on my own distaste for heavily fruited beers than a condemnation of this brew's actual drinkability.

Notes: I'll always remember Berry Weiss as the first full beer I ever drank - thanks, Eric's uncle, for hooking up some twelve year olds with girly beer. At the time I thought it was absolutely delicious, but my tastes have obviously matured just a bit since then. Now, I find it boringly artificial in its onslaught of overly sweet fruit - but I bet that preteens and non-beer drinkers the world over would still find it tasty and accessible. It does what it aims to do reasonably well - I just wish Leinie's would stop making beers like this for the lowest common denominator and come out with something for BAs genuinely to enjoy.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Oct 09, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +27.9%

Ok, it could have been a trick, my imagination wandering, but I could have sworn the beer poured pink. It's a cloudy amber with tinges of red from the berry. Nice creamy head. It is a very nice looking beer.

It smells like raspberries, blueberries, and cream. Quite sweet and drinkable.

I taste bleberries, strawberries, and raspberries with a light wheat beer finish. Not bad.

The beer is quite drinkable. I'm a sucker for fruit beers, but there are some better ones on the market. I could drink a few of these under the right circumstances and would consider drinking it again. As long as it doesn't turn pink again.

RomaniIteDomum, Sep 14, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -23.2%

Well I unknowingly ordered this Berry Leiney, I was hoping it was just a wheat beer, but to my dismay it was riddled with berry flavor.

It looked good, soapy white head on a cloudy bright yellow liquid.

The aroma was faint and consisted of raspberries namely, some blackberry too.

The flavor was a major dissappointmet. Tastes like a blueberry/raspberry puree poured into a wheat beer. It is what it is. Finishes a bit sour and overly sweet. Lemony hop is out of place here.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Drinkability rates low, cloyingly sweet, artificial berry taste, whats to like? I would reccommend this to a casual beer drinker, not a beer enthusiast who appreciates better beer.

Stinkypuss, Aug 30, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Started off well - poured a reddish purple w 1 finger of white foam. The smell was very beer - a sweetness/tartness comes through that is nicely aromatic.

Then it all falls apart. The taste is quite honestly just not very good. Fruity, bordering on a cough syrup overtone. The berry flavor imparts a medicinal taste with honey notes that make it almost sickly sweet and too tart.

This one was hard to finish. As for the remaining five beers, I'm not sure when, or if, those will get finished.

KTCamm, Aug 23, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +60.7%

VERY impressive fruit beer.

I can say for certain this the best fruit beer I've had to date. It looks like a slightly dark wheat with strong head. The fruit aroma is pleasant, not overbearing at all. The taste is fantastic! It's a natural flavor that is welcomed uniformly on the pallet and goes down super smooth. I'm definitely getting more of this stuff. Great job Chippewa Falls!

DesMoinesMike, Aug 01, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Ap. Cloudy with an amber and purple tinge. Not too much of a head.
Sm. Berries, grape drink, fruity, but for all that, not unpleasant.
Ta. Very strong berry flavor...like gum or candy. Mostly tasted like a sweet fruit punch rather than beer.
Mf. Smooth, nice coating, no carbonation to speak of.
Dr. Yes, it goes down easy and actually tastes good for what it is. But one will do.

deaconoflove, Jul 31, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +25%

The beer poured from the bottle a light opaque reddish color with golden tones. Minimal off-white head that did not last. The many carbonation bubbles stayed long after the head disappeared. As this is a berry beer, the berry smell is very strong, almost like a sugary fruit punch. The first taste is similar. It has a very strong berry flavor, similar to a berry soft drink, with an underlying alcohol flavor. It feels light and bubbly in your mouth. For those who like berry or fruit beers, the taste is palatable, but those who don't will definitely not like this beer. If you are opposed to fruit beers, the "berry-ness" is undeniably overwhelming.

BlueHammer, Jul 23, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -2.5%

My first Leinenkugel product. I never drank many berry beers before but I knew that I wasn't a big fan but had to try this anyways.

A- Red

S- Very fruity as you'd expect

T- Tasted very fruity. Too fruity. I'm not big on these fruity beers but I had to try it as it is a Leinenkugel product and I was curious.

M- Very light.

D- Very drinkable. I don't like them so I won't be drinking any more but I can see how somebody who likes them can knock a few back with ease.

VictorEHuskie, Jul 19, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -7.1%

I am having one of these as I write this, and my first impression is that this is not very nice. As a beer drinker, this too sweet for me, it tastes more like a soda. The berry flavoring has knocked all hints that this is a weisse beer out of the palette.

This would be good for someone who doesn't like the taste of beer but is looking for a little more thrill thank mikes or smirnoffs. It is as easy to drink as those varieties.

It does smell awesome, the yeast is adding to the berry or something, and it smells like berry pie. If that same smoky hint of beer was present in the taste, this could be quite good.

Final Decree: Save your money for Long Trail or Sam Adams versions of the berry wheat (or wit).

ericalbion, Jul 19, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into a Hefeweizen glass.

A: Thick pinkish foam set atop a reddish body that leaves some fair lacing behind along with some nice chunkiness.

S: Rasberry and blueberry dominate almost like juice...

T: Pretty much like it smells. Almost like a type of fruit drink with very mild hop bitterness at the end.

M: Very light and carbonated.

D: If you are looking for something that is very similar to a wine cooler, then this may be your thing. I can see why this would be included in a summer mixed case. Pretty drinkable for the style.

ujsplace, Jul 10, 2009
2.28/5  rDev -18.6%

This beer pours a pinkish rose color. It has an off color pink head that gives way to lacing. The smell is of fruit and not much else. The taste is straight fruit. It is like drinking fruity peebles with alcohol. The mouthfeel is dry. Overall the drinkability is low, it is a little much however, my girlfriend who doesn't like beer thought it was great.

goblue3509, Jul 07, 2009
3.03/5  rDev +8.2%

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss is a cloudy, dusty rose colored brew with a thin, dense, pinkish head that has good retention and lacing. The aroma is of berries and sugar and fruit wine. It's medium bodied and sudsy, with a dry finish that's a little scratchy. It's quite sweet. The malt is almost unnoticeable. It tastes like sweet berry punch. Is this really beer?

yesyouam, Jun 30, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer poured a large 1.5 finger head that left little if any lacing behind. It had a light golden/reddish color to it.

It smell sweet light berry kool-aid.

The mouth feel was light and crisp, but it left a weird after taste.

Taste was not bad, it was very sweet and light almost like drinking a wine cooler.

Drinkability is average at best, I can see drink a few of these but the sweetness and the after taste gets old.

mareth01, Jun 30, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a cloudy pale red color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes into sparse lacing. The aroma is fruit punch Hi-C. There is nothing remotely "beery" about it. The taste is much like the aroma, but not quite as sweet, yet still very sweet. The is also a lingering, annoying artificial flavoring aftertaste. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium bodied with lively carbonation. It is nice to see Leinie's not going overboard with the carbonation like they usually do. Overall, this is more wine cooler than beer. I enjoy fruit beer when they are made with actual fruit. They one clearly is made for a lot of artificial flavorings which make it come across as an extremely processed product. I'm not a huge fan of processed homogenized products.

KarlHungus, Jun 23, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +18.9%

12 oz bottle in a weizen glass. Produced on date of 09149.

A - Light, slightly cloudy red-ish orange with a persistent two finger head. Mediocre retention, decent lacing.

S - Blueberries and raspberries abound. A little wheat in the background but mainly a Kool-Aid smell.

T - Holy shit is that sweet. Sugary berry flavor concoction that's exactly like overly sugar -saturated Kool-Aid. Tiny, almost impossible to detect, wheat flavor on the finish.

M - Light and very crisp like soda. Sweet as hell.

D - Quintessential "give a non-beer drinking girl a beer" beer. When all I drank was Miller Lite, I loved this beer but honestly, I could have maybe one max now. This thing is so damn sweet it's outrageous. If I would rate this on my own personal taste, the score would be lower.

BeerFMAndy, Jun 12, 2009
3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Has a pinkish bubbly pour with a lace of glass rimming head.
Smell is abundant in sugar, blackberry, and raspberry.
Taste is nearly like merlot. Warm, I'd think I'd be drinking red wine.
Finish is crisp, but the berry taste that should stay, doesn't.
Drinks ok, but sometimes the sweet taste makes it a tougher sip.

ThaBobfather, Jun 11, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured Golden Reddish Color with minimal white head. Smells really sweet, even cloyingly so, I hope the taste isnt like that...
Taste, is again pretty sweet, im sure its from the fruit juices added, and also tastes like fruit syrup is added along with other artificial sweeteners. ugh, not to my liking. Also has a tartness to it that i dont like either. not for me.

Overall, this is a fruit beer, hard to find a good one out there, and well, looks like I didn't find it here either.

webbcreative, May 27, 2009