Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
2.95/5  rDev +5.4%

bottle poured into pint glass

a: light purple color, foamy 1/2" head with very little retention

s: strong sweet berry aroma

t: same as the aroma, berry flavor dominates. Don't know if this is a beer or a malternative.

m&d: light bodied, very easy to drink.

Very disapointing flavor, wish it had more bready or yeasty flavor to it to remind that a beer was being drunk.

Cheers!!!

UDbeernut, Dec 13, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -38.2%

Pours a light purple-pink, with a light pink head that quickly dissipates. Smells like fruit juice from a box--the kind you had in your lunchbox as a kid. The taste is the same: shockingly un-beerlike fruit drink. There might be a tiny bit of wheat in there, but it's totally burried beneath a crushing nastyness of berry-punch Juicy Juice. Gave me horrible heatrburn,will never drink again if I can help it

WakeandBake, Dec 07, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle to a reddish-orange with a medium white head that lingered awhile and left okay lacing. Aroma was fruity raspberry, and mouthfeel was carbonated and slightly tangy. Taste was sweet raspberry, and the finish somewhat short.

Not a bad beer, but on those rare occasions when I want a fruit beer, I'll stick with a Belgian Lambic.

kimcgolf, Dec 01, 2008
2.83/5  rDev +1.1%

This falls into the "you have to be kidding, right?" category in terms of beer reviews. This beer is more like a cheap wine cooler than anything serious. It pours a slightly hazy purplish color from all those berries; it then settles in to a more orange, slightly pink amber - if there is such a color. There is a white head and a bit of lacing to the beer. The nose on this beer is all berry, strawberry spritz, and wine color or weak spiked punch. This is a silly beer, and I can tell just by the aroma.

The taste is blueberry, strawberry, orange burst, some lemony citrus, with a touch of cheap malty flavors in the rear. As for hops, there aren't any that I can detect. This is a wine cooler or a beer for the summer where you offer it to someone who doesn't like beer. It's refreshing, sweet, lightly alcoholic, decently carbonated, and just plain silly. This isn't a sophisticated after dinner lambic and don't approach it with that expectation.

albern, Nov 23, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +25%

It has a weizen aroma you can smell almost immediately with a huge berry aroma wafting at you. The head has a fuchsia tint but is of good size and there is some very nice lacing. The body is a red almost pink color. It tastes very sweet with a sour berry aftertaste. It reminds me of a lot of the malternatives around. The mouthfeel is light but has a lot carbonation causing fizz burn.

MTNboy, Nov 22, 2008
1.95/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Out of a bottle this beer was a murky brown-pink color with a huge three-finger head of slightly pink foam. It left very good lacing and the retention was pretty good as a thin collar.. The aroma was all raspberries and strawberries and a candy-like sweetness. The flavors were very, very sweet. Cloying, in your-face, too-much sweet. Getting beyond the sweetness was difficult and all I could really discern beyond that was some sourness and an awkward, artificial aftertaste. The body was medium/light and the carbonation a little too high. I don't know what they were shooting for here but they totally missed the mark.

thekevlarkid, Nov 21, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +17.1%

A: The color of pink grapefruit with a hint of white, layer of frothy foam - 3.50, S: This is one of those beers that you can smell from afar, lots of berry busting out of this thing, putting the beer under my nose and this brings me back to the high school days when wine coolers were the drink of preference, overpowering aromas of black berries and raspberries, for what this beer is supposed to be it isn't half bad, reminds me of some lambics - 4.00, T: The honey comes through on the palate, less of a beer than a wine spritzer, I struggle to determine whether I'm impressed or terrified by this one, loads of berry flavors, no hops that I can discern, the slightest hint of some tartness on the tail - 3.00, M: Thin to medium bodied - 3.50, D: On a hot day under the sun this beer might have its place, it's not half as bad as I expected but it really pushes the definition of beer - 3.00

deereless, Nov 15, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +29.6%

This is going to be a very short and sweet review without all the technicalities.

Basically, I was in the store looking for a refreshing beer after a hard game of dodgeball, and that's what I got in this. Very sweet and fruity, as previous reviewers said- but that's what I expected when I bought it. This isn't a beer that I could have more than, maybe, two or three consecutively- but it is what it is and it makes an excellent brew for quick refreshment.

To sum it up, if you want something refreshing, this does its job quite well. If you're looking for something else, though, don't drink it.

Mosstrooper, Nov 04, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +19.6%

The name of this brew pretty much says it all. Not being a "fruit beer" kinda guy, it was a stretch to even make the purchase. But I wanted something light and drinkable so I gave it a whirl.

Predictable pinkish copper hue when poured from the 12 ouncer into my Sam Adams custom glass. Light carbonation and only a sliver of a head.

Nothing overly discernable in the nose that bops you in the head. In fact, it took a fair amount of swirling for the slightest whiff of strawberry/raspberry to appear. More evident as it warmed.

The taste was...well, juice like. Sweet from the red berries. It could easily pass for a NAB.

Mouthfeel reflected the taste. Juice like with little evidence of etoh.

You really gotta be in the mood for this stuff. A little too sweet for my palatte, though refreshing enough on a hot day I suppose.

jim102864, Nov 02, 2008
2.38/5  rDev -15%

Pours hazy copper color with a little pink in there. This beer smells like any other mixed berry product. Taste is pretty much that... a mixed berry flavor which is very sweet. This is so sweet and fruity I can only drink one of these at a time.

I won't say that's it's terrible because I'll finish the rest that I got. But I would not get this again.

Buggies, Nov 02, 2008
3.08/5  rDev +10%

Pours a mostly red but slightly purple dark color with a short lived head.

A: The color makes up for the quickly fading head, it's the kind of beer color that makes you just curious enough to try it at least once.

S: Smells like fruit punch concentrate. Gets you curious to take a sip to see if the taste follows up the strong fruity scent.

T: Too fruity for me. The only thing you taste besides something comparable to a berry smoothie is a hint of hops and a slight raw alcohol taste.

M: It's bubbly but not to the point where it hurts to swish it a bit in your mouth.

D: I'm not going to call it a queer beer, because it isn't, but it does go down like water- (rough exaggeration).

Bottom line- An ok price for a slightly below average beer. If you like a heavy fruit taste in your beer you should give it a try, but it's just not really my cup of tea.

xtremejammn, Oct 28, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +30.4%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle.

Pours a reddish color with a very light pinkish colored fluffy head. The head does not last very long. There is decent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is quite fruity and sweet. Aroma of raspberries, blackberries, strawberries. Smells almost like a fruit soda. There is also some malty aromas too, but they somewhat hidden by the berries.

Taste is quite nice. It has a tartness too it, not overly sweet. The berry flavors are the same as the aromas, and taste natural. There are some malty flavors that seem to balance it out for me. Finish is a bit malty with some very slight bitterness. Mouthfeel is good, kind of smooth with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is very good too.

Overall, one of the better fruit beers I have had. Does not taste artificial. Will definitely have this one again.

NHGrafx, Oct 25, 2008
2.98/5  rDev +6.4%

This reddish creamy beer was a little better than I expected. Pretty light with a significant berry flavor, but not to overwhelmingly fruity that you can't taste the fact that it's a wheatbeer. While far from one of my favorites, it beats some of the Sam Adams berry beers that I have had by quite a large margin.

Likeburning, Oct 18, 2008
1.55/5  rDev -44.6%

A= scary purple not typical of beer with a light head
S= fruity not a beer smell at all. Coulda fooled me into thinking it was wine
T= Way way way to fruity. They over did this beer. I'm usually a fan of Lines but this one is just not for me. I know plenty of girls who live for it though
M= high carbonation which in my opinion made it a little more drinkable
D= Hard to do more than one without something in between. Gave me a little tummy ache :(

jjanega08, Oct 15, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Red color with orange around teh edges where the light hits. Pours a two finger foamy white head with fair retention. Decanted steadily. No lacing.

S: Strong scent of sweet blueberries and rasberries.

T: Very fruit-juicy; frnaly not minful of beer. There is a slight malty taste, but it gets lost quicly in sweet berries.

M: Light and thin. Ample carbonation brightens the sweetness.

D: More of a flavored alcohol beverage thatn a weis as the name implied. Drinkable as long as you can stomach the sweet taste - some have more tolerance of that others.

Haybeerman, Oct 15, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +41.1%

Appearance: Pink, orange, purple, some weird blend of colors, with a decent head. Nice looking foam. Appearance isn't bad, just something out of the ordinary for beer.

Aroma: Berries are VERY strong in this. Fruity which was the intent, obviously

Taste: Rather syrupy and the berries are predominant. A little much, I'd say, a lambic might not be this syrupy. Not bad, though.

Mouthfeel: Light, kind of crisp, but not too much. Body isn't too heavy, but its not meant to be.

Drinkability: Fruity and light, so it would work out for many people who aren't too fond of the taste of beer. Its a beer for those who don't like beer. Does that job well. I'm not the target consumer for this style, but I wouldn't mind a couple.

kshankar, Oct 13, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -7.9%

Whoa, this one is just way too fruity. Tastes like one of those alcopop things, not like a beer at all. If you're in the mood for an alcoholic fruit juice grab this guy, but otherwise steer clear. I mean I don't mind fruit beers at all.. but this one's a little too much... I'd pass on it.. it's almost too hard to finish a single bottle.

oriolesfan4, Oct 03, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -18.6%

My brother gave me a single of this. I don't know why. I won't be thanking him.

Pours a burnt orange color, slightly hazed with a pretty full but fizzy off-white, slightly pinkish head. Actually keeps a pretty good head.

Smell is sweet and fruity, lots of berry aromas. I can tolerate most any smell so long as it's not offensive. This is fruity but it's not offensive.

I said I could tolerate any smell as long as it's not offensive, but not so with the taste. This is ridiculously sweet and fruity. Lots of berry flavor, like drinking a malt liquor or something. It's not really a bad flavor, but not something I seek out in beer, or anywhere else actually. My brother described it as fruity pebbles in beer. I'll go with that.

Mouthfeel is light, but not thin, with adequate carbonation.

I won't touch this again. This might work on my wife, but I don't need another.

number1bum, Sep 23, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +50%

1st, let me put you strait. I am not terribly fond of standard beer, I love sweet and sour drinks, but most beers i find are either bitter or skunky, neither of which i care for.

Appearance - pouring into a pilsner, looks like a purple wine, not really a beer, however it does give a fairly good head, and distinct lacing.

Aroma - smells like a sweet drink, closer to juice than beer.

Taste - sort of like you take a light beer and put some juice in it. has some beer flavor, but not significant. if you don't really care for most beers, you might like it. I did.

Mouthfeel - feels foamy and light, what i prefer.

Drinkability - even someone who doesn't usually care for beer, I could drink several fairly quickly without realizing its beer.

Corvato, Sep 14, 2008
1.85/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a slightly hazed fruit punch color (pinkish?) with a thin pink head that descends to a patch. I would say it's not a particularly attractive color for a beer.

Smells like a fruity wine spritzer with added fruitiness - esp. blackberry. Very fruity - I guess that's what they were going for.

The taste is ... not good. Sweet artificial fruit syrup with honey added as a bonus on top of the sweetness from the fruit syrup. There's a touch of maltiness, adding more to sweetness - Forget the hops. Imbalanced sweetness. If this were a fruity "malt beverage" I would say it was not bad, but it has "bier" written on it. Why write it in German? Why write it at all? Hardly has any beer characteristics - a touch of malt...a vague tartness, maybe? Just barely enough to keep sweetness from lingering forever (though it lasts too long, anyway.) Finishes...sweet.

Light-bodied and fizzy. Over-carbonation's only redeeming quality (if it has any) is that it lifts away some of the sweet aftertaste, a bit.

Is this beer or a malternative? With willpower (and putting beer out of my mind) I was able to finish one (and give the rest to a female neighbor who drinks the "malt beverages" to share with her friends. Better them than me!

jwc215, Sep 02, 2008
1.43/5  rDev -48.9%

If I'd not see it pour from the bottle into my glass I would have thought someone was playing a joke on me. This was another beer we tried at our monthly beer club meeting, and I was not impressed to say the least. It tastes like someone took a berry wine cooler and a light beer a mixed them together. Maybe its because I like darker beers but I thought it was awful.

It poured to a brownish purple color, with a nice head. The smell was fruitty to say the least(not what I want in a beer). The head lasted the entire time I chocked down my 6 ounce sample. The taste was very different, you can taste all the berrys that were put into it.

To me its a beer you give your girlfriend who dosen't like beer.

To each their own though a couple of our members gave it a high ratings in our own little rating system (17,18 out of 20) a personally give it a very generous 4 out of 20.

bltzburgh, Sep 02, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance - pours a diluted pink grapefruit juice color. A huge rocky pink head nearly overflows the glass. Plenty of lace trails interconnecting around the glass.

Aroma - wine cooler fruitiness, like candy or Kool-Aid.

Taste - wine cooler taste. If you put this in a wine cooler bottle, folks may not know the difference. The fruitiness is not offensively sweet, but neither is Gatorade. Stable flavor throughout, the finish shows off nothing new.

Mouthfeel - a sweet slickness to this, which I expected. Carbonation is a bit to the lighter side, adding some softness to the feel.

Drinkability - all it takes is a little sweet tooth to enjoy the beer. It was easily dispatched but not something I'd buy on purpose.

brewdlyhooked13, Aug 28, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +55.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the Bottle in a glass Mug was a cloudy amber red with 3/4 inch head that goes down to a 1/2 inch quickly.Smell of Berries, and fruit. This stuff tastes great, mixing Beer with Berries it is kind of a Berry Beer Soda with its carbonation! I myself can taste the beer of it but has a very nice amount of berry flavor,blackberry & Raspberry. Not to sweet either as I have had some that are so sweet it is ruined this one is great. It is highly Refreshing in your Mouth and it is very drinkable drank 3 in a row would have had another but time to go to bed! If you want to try this type of Beer this is the one to try not high priced, but High quality and great flavor!
Leinenkugel has hit a Home run with this one.
'Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food'

Schmidts, Aug 27, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +22.5%

Half-inch foamy head on top of a hazy red-tinged orange color. No lace. Ho-hum.

All kinds of berry in the nose--obviously blackberry, but I could be tricked into believing there was raspberry and strawberry here. Even currant. Quite nice actually, but the fact I can't pick anything else out--like malt, hops, yeast, for example--doesn't bode well.

Flavor is as expected--total berry incarnate. With frothed milk and sugar. It's actually okay, but I'm still bothered by the fact that none of the traditional traits of beer are detected. Even the biggest, most extreme beers show their beer-iness in some way. With this I'm getting blackberry-creamsicle soda. I happen to love blackberry and any kind of creamsicle resemblance, so Leinie's Berry Weiss escapes this beer geek's wrath.

Mouthfeel lends a great slab of creaminess over the spritzy, soda-like texture. Pretty tart, almost pucker-inducing. Really liked this feature of the beer.

I don't know...should I commit hari-kari for liking this? I certainly wouldn't ever gravitate toward this given even mildly better choices, but it's not near as bad as I'd expected. And still not the hellish Boo-Berry soda that Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is. My German-beer-expert better-half says it tastes just like the German style this is derived from, and she would know. Give it a whirl.

Metalmonk, Aug 25, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +52.9%

I never was a fruity wheat kind of beer drinker, but as I've gotten older, my palate seems to have changed and now I seem to enjoy any kind of beer.

This beer scared me at first. I was told it has an overpowering berry taste to it, and I was reluctant to get it. However, I had heard the same thing about Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, yet I found that beer to be exceptional.

I had the beer in the bottle so I have no idea what it looks like, though I'm guessing something purpley-pinkish.

It smells like you would expect...very berry, and not at all like a beer.

In your mouth, you can feel the burn of the carbonation, but it's very refreshing at the same time.

There is no hint of bitter in the aftertaste, only berries.

Instead of a beer flavored with berries, it tastes more like a wine coolers flavored with a hint of beer. That's not a bad thing, but not everyone will like this beer because of it.

I enjoyed my first bottle after a long round of golf in the hot sun. It really was refreshing and totally hit the spot for me.

RickS95, Aug 25, 2008