Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
2.28/5  rDev -18.6%

My brother gave me a single of this. I don't know why. I won't be thanking him.

Pours a burnt orange color, slightly hazed with a pretty full but fizzy off-white, slightly pinkish head. Actually keeps a pretty good head.

Smell is sweet and fruity, lots of berry aromas. I can tolerate most any smell so long as it's not offensive. This is fruity but it's not offensive.

I said I could tolerate any smell as long as it's not offensive, but not so with the taste. This is ridiculously sweet and fruity. Lots of berry flavor, like drinking a malt liquor or something. It's not really a bad flavor, but not something I seek out in beer, or anywhere else actually. My brother described it as fruity pebbles in beer. I'll go with that.

Mouthfeel is light, but not thin, with adequate carbonation.

I won't touch this again. This might work on my wife, but I don't need another.

number1bum, Sep 23, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +50%

1st, let me put you strait. I am not terribly fond of standard beer, I love sweet and sour drinks, but most beers i find are either bitter or skunky, neither of which i care for.

Appearance - pouring into a pilsner, looks like a purple wine, not really a beer, however it does give a fairly good head, and distinct lacing.

Aroma - smells like a sweet drink, closer to juice than beer.

Taste - sort of like you take a light beer and put some juice in it. has some beer flavor, but not significant. if you don't really care for most beers, you might like it. I did.

Mouthfeel - feels foamy and light, what i prefer.

Drinkability - even someone who doesn't usually care for beer, I could drink several fairly quickly without realizing its beer.

Corvato, Sep 14, 2008
1.85/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a slightly hazed fruit punch color (pinkish?) with a thin pink head that descends to a patch. I would say it's not a particularly attractive color for a beer.

Smells like a fruity wine spritzer with added fruitiness - esp. blackberry. Very fruity - I guess that's what they were going for.

The taste is ... not good. Sweet artificial fruit syrup with honey added as a bonus on top of the sweetness from the fruit syrup. There's a touch of maltiness, adding more to sweetness - Forget the hops. Imbalanced sweetness. If this were a fruity "malt beverage" I would say it was not bad, but it has "bier" written on it. Why write it in German? Why write it at all? Hardly has any beer characteristics - a touch of malt...a vague tartness, maybe? Just barely enough to keep sweetness from lingering forever (though it lasts too long, anyway.) Finishes...sweet.

Light-bodied and fizzy. Over-carbonation's only redeeming quality (if it has any) is that it lifts away some of the sweet aftertaste, a bit.

Is this beer or a malternative? With willpower (and putting beer out of my mind) I was able to finish one (and give the rest to a female neighbor who drinks the "malt beverages" to share with her friends. Better them than me!

jwc215, Sep 02, 2008
1.43/5  rDev -48.9%

If I'd not see it pour from the bottle into my glass I would have thought someone was playing a joke on me. This was another beer we tried at our monthly beer club meeting, and I was not impressed to say the least. It tastes like someone took a berry wine cooler and a light beer a mixed them together. Maybe its because I like darker beers but I thought it was awful.

It poured to a brownish purple color, with a nice head. The smell was fruitty to say the least(not what I want in a beer). The head lasted the entire time I chocked down my 6 ounce sample. The taste was very different, you can taste all the berrys that were put into it.

To me its a beer you give your girlfriend who dosen't like beer.

To each their own though a couple of our members gave it a high ratings in our own little rating system (17,18 out of 20) a personally give it a very generous 4 out of 20.

bltzburgh, Sep 02, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance - pours a diluted pink grapefruit juice color. A huge rocky pink head nearly overflows the glass. Plenty of lace trails interconnecting around the glass.

Aroma - wine cooler fruitiness, like candy or Kool-Aid.

Taste - wine cooler taste. If you put this in a wine cooler bottle, folks may not know the difference. The fruitiness is not offensively sweet, but neither is Gatorade. Stable flavor throughout, the finish shows off nothing new.

Mouthfeel - a sweet slickness to this, which I expected. Carbonation is a bit to the lighter side, adding some softness to the feel.

Drinkability - all it takes is a little sweet tooth to enjoy the beer. It was easily dispatched but not something I'd buy on purpose.

brewdlyhooked13, Aug 28, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +55.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the Bottle in a glass Mug was a cloudy amber red with 3/4 inch head that goes down to a 1/2 inch quickly.Smell of Berries, and fruit. This stuff tastes great, mixing Beer with Berries it is kind of a Berry Beer Soda with its carbonation! I myself can taste the beer of it but has a very nice amount of berry flavor,blackberry & Raspberry. Not to sweet either as I have had some that are so sweet it is ruined this one is great. It is highly Refreshing in your Mouth and it is very drinkable drank 3 in a row would have had another but time to go to bed! If you want to try this type of Beer this is the one to try not high priced, but High quality and great flavor!
Leinenkugel has hit a Home run with this one.
'Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food'

Schmidts, Aug 27, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +22.5%

Half-inch foamy head on top of a hazy red-tinged orange color. No lace. Ho-hum.

All kinds of berry in the nose--obviously blackberry, but I could be tricked into believing there was raspberry and strawberry here. Even currant. Quite nice actually, but the fact I can't pick anything else out--like malt, hops, yeast, for example--doesn't bode well.

Flavor is as expected--total berry incarnate. With frothed milk and sugar. It's actually okay, but I'm still bothered by the fact that none of the traditional traits of beer are detected. Even the biggest, most extreme beers show their beer-iness in some way. With this I'm getting blackberry-creamsicle soda. I happen to love blackberry and any kind of creamsicle resemblance, so Leinie's Berry Weiss escapes this beer geek's wrath.

Mouthfeel lends a great slab of creaminess over the spritzy, soda-like texture. Pretty tart, almost pucker-inducing. Really liked this feature of the beer.

I don't know...should I commit hari-kari for liking this? I certainly wouldn't ever gravitate toward this given even mildly better choices, but it's not near as bad as I'd expected. And still not the hellish Boo-Berry soda that Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is. My German-beer-expert better-half says it tastes just like the German style this is derived from, and she would know. Give it a whirl.

Metalmonk, Aug 25, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +52.9%

I never was a fruity wheat kind of beer drinker, but as I've gotten older, my palate seems to have changed and now I seem to enjoy any kind of beer.

This beer scared me at first. I was told it has an overpowering berry taste to it, and I was reluctant to get it. However, I had heard the same thing about Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, yet I found that beer to be exceptional.

I had the beer in the bottle so I have no idea what it looks like, though I'm guessing something purpley-pinkish.

It smells like you would expect...very berry, and not at all like a beer.

In your mouth, you can feel the burn of the carbonation, but it's very refreshing at the same time.

There is no hint of bitter in the aftertaste, only berries.

Instead of a beer flavored with berries, it tastes more like a wine coolers flavored with a hint of beer. That's not a bad thing, but not everyone will like this beer because of it.

I enjoyed my first bottle after a long round of golf in the hot sun. It really was refreshing and totally hit the spot for me.

RickS95, Aug 25, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -26.8%

Very interesting. I have never really found a "berry" beer that I thought was good. Pouring this from the bottle into a glass, it was actually a pink color. Once poured it settles down to more like a copper color, some haze and a pinkish tint to it. Thick white, pinkish tinted head and quite a bit of lace. The aroma is.... you guessed it. Berries. If I had to pick one, blackberries. The taste is very carbonated and berry-like. It seemed like it was flavored seltzer. Nothing I'll get again.

changeup45, Aug 24, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pours light amber with a bubbly thick head.

Smell is alcoholic and stout, with an artificial berry and solvent note.

Taste is astringent, yet true to the style. A bit solventy, yet filled with a juicy berry and weiss combonation. The weiss is definitely in the background with the berry taking over. Moderately sweet, and the flavors aren't too offensive - the astringent metallic note though is. So going to knock some points off here.

An odd tasting beer, that doesn't quite stack up and the metallic note just kills it. A nice attempt though.

HoustonTX, Aug 21, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -19.6%

A- Pours a purple color small head that goes to a thin layer of bubbles leaving no lacing.

S- Very sweet. Berries imagine that and that's about it.

T- Again berries all over the place. That's all I could taste very sweet. More like a wine cooler than a beer.

M- Seems really light and watery.

D- Well, I'm still not a fan of these fruit beers. I'll keep trying them and maybe find one that I like. I'll pass on this way too sweet and fruity for me.

nrbw23, Aug 16, 2008
3.08/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Purple in color with about a finger of head. Short retention, with some lacing.

S - Berries and grapes. Mostly I get some combination of blueberries and blackberries, with grapes and perhaps raspberries thrown in. Nearly non-existant prototypical "beer" aromas.

T - Horribly sweet, with the same homogenized berry flavor from the nose. Very simple, very fruity.

M - Moderate carbonation with a mildly syrupy body. Went alright considering the flavor.

D - I didn't hate this beer, but it wasn't much of a beer and as such I would never/could never drink this as if it were just a beer. It is far too sweet.

PatrickJR, Aug 15, 2008
3.03/5  rDev +8.2%

Editing my review. First review on 8-12-2008. This is more accurate.

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass.

Color is a peach pink color. Hazy head is 1/2 fingers. The head is a pink/off-white. Fizzles down quickly. No lacing.

Aroma is very fruity. Lots of berries. Smells more like juice than beer. Wine cooler aroma.

Taste is almost exactly like a wine cooler. B and Js Sangria comes to mind (my gf likes these so I have tried it). Lots of berries. This is quite interesting, not in a good way.

Mouthfeel is crisp and somewhat smooth. Ends with a mouth full of berries. Kind of dry. Medium to light bodied. Decent carbonation.

Overall: I would not have this again because I would want a beer instead. Buy this for your girlfriend that enjoys wine coolers.

mothman, Aug 12, 2008
2.9/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This didn't so much look like a beer as it did a mixed drink. If it weren't for the foam, I wouldn't know what it was.

Smelled and tasted like a wine cooler. It wasn't bad, just strange for beer. Lots of berry flavors.

Somewhat creamy mouthfeel, and fairly easy to drink, though the tart berry flavors become a bit too much eventually.

ElGrecoVerde, Aug 11, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +11.8%

The beer pours a hazy purple color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a dry pale and wheat malt scent along with a sweet blackberry aroma. The taste is average. It has a watery wheat malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes with a tangy blackberry taste. It's sweet tasting with a thin watery feel. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This tastes more like soda than beer. It's one and done for me.

WesWes, Aug 09, 2008
3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Pours between a red and a pink color with a nice head that left lots of acing.

Smell: Smel is heavy of raspberries and other citrus fruits.

Taste: Tastes like grapefruit and raspberries and not like a beer at all. Kind of bitter. It tastes more like spiked punch.

Mouthfeel: Very light and more like a wine cooler than beer.

Drinkability: Not bad for the summer or people who are tired of the same old thing.

meatmallet, Aug 01, 2008
2.13/5  rDev -23.9%

Single, twelve ounce bottle just copped from Total Wine and More in West Orange... Out of all of the Leinenkugel beers I've sampled, this was by far my least favorite... The berry flavor was way too intense and too strongly reminiscent of a blackberry or berry soda for me to actually consider this a drinkable beer...
Pours an off-color, reddish hue with a modest head...
Smell was replete with blackberries, wheat, and sugars...
Taste was way too sweet with too much sugar in the backbone and a cloying presence of berries that rendered this one basically undrinkable for me...
Not recommended... Literally tastes liked spiked soda...

dsa7783, Jul 29, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +25%

Color has trace of pink to it? This beer is not about malt but about berries. Raspberry smell. Kind of like a sody-pop. Tasty in the same way, but not so much in a beery way. There is a slightly bitter finish that surprised me. It is almost incongruous with the berries and brings home for me the point that a sour beer base that eschews hops makes for the best fruit beers. This is not New Glarus.

pweis909, Jul 26, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +22.5%

Pours a rosy pinkish color.

Smells sweet - raspberries & strawberries

Taste - Good stuff, but it doesn't taste much like beer or fruit flavored beer. I wouldn't even say it's like a lambic. It's really like drinking a wine cooler. It's like a sweet, berry flavored wine cooler.

Mouthfeel is light and bubbly, like a wine cooler.

Drinkability- Good stuff. It's not very beer-like, but I enjoyed it. I could see females who aren't big beer drinkers really liking this stuff. Good for summer outings or pool parties.

Deus1138, Jul 24, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Looked like watered down cranberry juice. Tiny head which soon became a thin film leaving no lacing.

Aroma of berries, that's about all I could detect.

Tasted of berries and perhaps the smallest hint of malt. I'm not going to try and say I tasted anything else, because I didn't. Not a very complex brew but if you like this sort of thing then it was pretty decent.

Mouthfeel was like a carbonated soda. Thin and bubbly but refreshing.

Overall a somewhat drinkable beer, although if you drank it blindfolded and nobody told you that you were drinking a beer, you wouldn't know it. Anyways, not a bad way to quench your thirst if you're not quite feeling like a "regular" beer.

JBogan, Jul 12, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Moderate carbonation, foamy looking head which hangs around a bit. A red/orange/purple hue.
S - Strong scent of blueberries and rasberries with sweetness
T - Where's the beer? Slight malty taste, fades way to a syrupy not-quite-natural berry taste. This tastes more like it's using high-fructose corn syrup infused fruit juce, and not natural berries in the mix.
M - Thin, the carbonation seen in the appearance fades quickly. Watery.
D - Calling this a weis/beer is a bit of a ... lie. This tastes more like a lot of malternative beverages I've had. Honestly it's drinkable, but I'm not sure I'd call it a beer. If I want this flavor profile I'll go for a Smiroff ice or something like that.

splat215, Jul 03, 2008

After a hard pour, the head quickly shrinks to a thin lace on the top. The smell of fruit juice is heavy. The color is a nice amber with a fair amount of carbonation rising to the surface. The taste is very, very tart. A grape/rasberry combination for the flavor. I can't detect any of the "usual" beer flavors, especially any hops. The fruit flavor sticks in my mouth and lingers for quite some time. It reminds me of a grape soda. For a fruit beer, this might be right on target, but the "soda" feel just doesn't work for me. I prefer a beer with a more sutle fruit flavor, not one the seems to hit you over the head.

JMBSH, Jul 01, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +22.5%

Bright clearish glowing orange color with a big lasting beige head. Smell is citrusy, orange, fruity and floral sweet hoppiness. Really nice, fresh smell. Taste is strongly hoppy with big citrusy, hoppy orange flavor. Nice crisp bitterness, but malt is nicely balancing it on through the finish. Really drinkable, refreshing and delicious. Fantastic double IPA!

JDV, Jun 30, 2008
1.6/5  rDev -42.9%

Super candylike (think mouthful of Sweetarts) fruity taste. Tastes like grape juice. No wheat taste, not sure how/why it is called a weisse? Can't hardly be called a beer. If you mix one in with other beers it will really mess up your taste buds for a long time. It doesn't taste bad, it's not far from grape juice, just not really anything like beer. More like a low abv highly carbed Mogan David.

You should try one if you like grape juice, otherwise you will not like it at all. The fruit taste is just WAY too overpowering.

Chugmonkey, Jun 23, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Drunk by my fiancee - this is her review. Poured it out in a glass:

A - Looks like cranberry juice, a bit lighter giving it an orangey color - looks interesting

S - Smells like fruit juice, raspberry perhaps, a bit cranberry. Fruit dominates everything, no wheat or beer-like smell

T - Tastes like wine (I concur). Exceptionally sweet, doesn't taste like beer at all. Wine or fruit juice with some carbonation

M - Smooth, not much lingering after taste, despite the in your face fruity flavor. Nothing exceptional or anything.

D - If you like it sweet and not beer-like, then you'll like it. If you don't like it sweet, then avoid it like the plague. Perhaps the beer for exclusive wine drinkers

She likes wheat beers and this is a wheat beer. She also like fruity flavors, and this is definitely fruity. That being said, she liked it alright and it certainly looks strangely inviting, but it's just too over the top to keep returning to.

mantupeht, Jun 23, 2008