Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002

2.4/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

It's a pink beer--like a carnation ale. Interestingly, I read that it's honey and blackberries, but its pinkish tone gives off more of a raspberry and/orcherry vibe. As usual, I start my review unable to avoid seeing the present grade (C+). It looks like a fruit beer--not syrupy or anything, but it's supposed to have some color! Since I knew I was having this style beverage, I expected something like this...and I like it. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not really fizzy (like other macro fruit beers I've experienced). Quite frankly, I think it's a very good-looking beverage.

The smell is a little much. I've read about the smell of artificial sweetness (not just subtle sweeteners, but the core of the taste), and the smell gives me that suspicion. It's a very berry smelly.

Maybe I was wrong about the syrup. I must've been fooled by the look because it tastes purty syrupy. Maybe that's the honey, but (and perhaps this is because of the smell) it tastes synthetic. Sure strawberries taste better with sugar on top, but you CAN overdo the sugar. At the very least, this beer hinges on overly sweet. I love fruit beers, but this one is too much like a fountain drink. It does taste kind of like those concentrated cola bags mixed with water. Not that it's bad, but it's certainly not a manly beer (what was I expecting, right?). It's like a beer cooler.

The mouthfeel is dominated by sweetness. It's also carbonated. A neat sensation at first, but I tire of it quickly. All this sugar (or aspartame or whatever) kills the drinkability. I think when I looked at this beer it reminded me of Fort--a beverage I've really enjoyed. Not that it's trying to compete with that, but this one pales in comparison. If you drink this, you should share it...but you could probably do without.

3.58/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The foam was light wheat with a obvious reddish pink hue that dissapated quickly. The color was a apple red haze with a wheat lighlight. The smell - the 1st experience was a dominate rasberry aroma with small hints of blueberry. Couldn't really smell anything else. Taste had a somewhat dominate rasberry overtone with deep undertones of wheat, blackberry and a sharp crispness at the end. Mouthfeel - smooth, fruity and somewhat light-bodied. Drinkability - with the smoothness of the wheaty fruit, it was a good session.

2.73/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Cloudy pinkish in color. Looks like grapefruit juice. One finger head that quickly goes. No lacing.

S- Smells like a berry lemonade flavored Kool-Aid. Berry wine coolerish smell. Slight bit of alchohol.

T- Literally tastes like an ale mixed with berry lemonade Kool-Aid. Sweet berry flavor. Kind of tasty, but a little too wine coolerish for me.

M- Lighter bodied, fizzy carbonation. A bit flat.

D- One or two is about all I could do on a hot summer day. A little too artificial in the flavor department for me.

3.35/5  rDev +19.6%

This is obviously not a BeerAdvocate kind of beer, but I didn't hate it. Pinkish coloring, not really making a statement.

Smelled like raspberries and blackberries, tasted like a lager with berry juice mixed in, mouthfeel made me think I was drinking something like a Berry 7-Up. A bit sticky.

I thought it was pretty refreshing, if not in the way a good beer is refreshing--I could see myself drinking one in the summer out of a cooler at the beach when I just wanted a very light beer buzz. So high drinkability, average everything else.

2.85/5  rDev +1.8%

leine's premier seller up here in northwest indiana. at least with the group of middle aged almost retirees that I know.

uh, wine cooler pink coloring and a pink head. weird.

scents of artificial raspberry.

tastes of artificial raspberry.

a good fluffy, fizzy sticky feel, for some reason is very refreshing in the way that 7up or squirt is refreshing.

a good fruit beer. how good that is, not very good. but it isn't a true beer. but it is really refreshing and subs well for juice. maybe I am just making it seem better for everyone I know that swears by this beer after a hard day of work.

2.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pinkish orange color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of berries of course, light malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is starts with the sweet and tart flavors of various berries. There's also some honey and wheat in there. The malt character is a little heartier than most fruit beers and the hops presence is very mild. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, this one is just another in the multitude of berry-flavored beers. There was nothing I detected that makes it stand out any more than any beer of its kind.

3.53/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice cloudy golden orange/amber color, nice carbonation, very nice one-finger plus foamy white head, with some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, with some yeast, berries. The taste is malty, slight yeasty, some berries in there. Medium body. Drinkable, not too bad, better than I expected.

2.65/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a slightly hazy amber with an almost nonexistant hint of berry violet in it. The head is pure white, thin, and receds to nothing more than a film pretty quickly.

Smells of malt and the aforementioned berries. Black, blue, maybe rasp. Apparently it contains flavors a from a blackberry/raspberry hybrid fruit, but I've never had that anyway so I wouldn't know how to identify it anyway.

The taste is pretty sugary, like sweetened fruit juice, followed by the beer malts. Its not bad if you're into fruit beers.

Mouthfeel is full and sticky, and the carbonation comes through, but its pretty smooth.

Overall, an okay brew for what it is. Too sweet for me to seek it out on a regular basis. Kind of refeshing though.

3.48/5  rDev +24.3%

This is the last of the year-round beers offered currently by Leinenkugels that I have yet to review. Now as soon as I get around to reviewing the Oktoberfest I'll have reviewed all 11 seasonal and year-round.

Pours a cloudy grapefruit-juice color. The one finger white head has the slightest pink tint to it, but not as much as the box would lead you to believe. Head diminishes quickly, and leaves no lacing.

Smell is very strange. I haven't had many fruit beers, but honestly this smells more like a girly drink you would find at a bar, mixed with a little bit of beer. Don't get me wrong, you can definitely tell this is a beer, and not a fruit drink. It just smells like you mix 2 parts beer with 1 part berry lemonade.

The taste is much much more fruity than the aroma. My first sniff definitely didn't try to hide the fact that fruity tastes were to come, but I never thought it would be this strong! I can barely taste the beer! It honestly tastes like a mixed vodka or gin drink with smooth berry lemonade. Despite how bad I make it sound, it somehow pulls it together and works! I actually enjoy this, sort of. Don't get me wrong, I would never be able to drink a ton of these in one sitting, I get the feeling it would make me sick to my stomach. Maybe I'll give these to the girlfriend so maybe I can tear her away from her Mich Goldens.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth. There is a decent amount of carbonation, but it's surprisingly not very crisp. Very smooth. Medium body, which surprised me, as I assumed it would be leaning towards lighter.

Definitely drinkable, but like I said earlier, I get the feeling that drinking many of these in one sitting would make me ill. Still though, taking down one of these is not a problem. Even if I feel like I'm drinking a girly drink, so what?

3.53/5  rDev +26.1%

Appearance: A thin whitish head that was gone as soon as it was there. The beer itself is a ruby reddish color, like the meat of a grapefruit.

Smell: A strong blackberry scent, but with a hint of raspberry. The smell is good kind of of like when you pull a cobbler out of the fridge.

Taste: Not much wheat in this one but you gets a great berry flavor. Has a malty flavor throughout, though it's stronger at the finish. A slight alcohol flavor, that reminds you of a hard cider.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated and extremely thin, thinner then a cider and a little thicker then a wine cooler.

Drinkability: This is an easy drinker, and would make a good beer for that summer family reunion.

Side Notes: Ok this is a live review, I am drinking at the comp, as I type this. I really know why my girlfriend likes these now. Reminds me of a hard cider, and that's not a bad thing to say, but this is a beer we have to remember. I can see this being a great brew to cook with, and the next warm say I am going to give it a shot on the grill. This would take the place of a blackberry brandy on boneless pork chops.

3.18/5  rDev +13.6%

this beer pours a hazy orange with an off white head that might be a bit pink. the head fades to lacing giving off quite a bit of berry already. the taste is overwhelmingly berry there isn't much room for the yeast or malts here. even with the decent co2 and good body this just doesn't really make a decent attempt at being a beer.

2.55/5  rDev -8.9%

someone gave me a 5 of them after not enjoying the one they had
poured in a pint glass

A- pours a pinkish amber color with a pinkish white head, about a finger or so's worth, head dissipates to leave a thin ring of the pinkish white head, some lacing

S- red berries, like cherry and strawberry, do pick some some dark fruits like blackberry, has a weird lingering smell of a lager/pilsner

T- sweet, sweet, like others have said, more juice than beer, only hint of beer is in the aftertaste, the same weird lager/pilsner essence

M- good carbonation to increase the fruit flavors

D- too sweet for me, if I wanted sweet i would get a lambic or one of dogfish's fruit beers, i could see using it for cooking maybe

2.58/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance: Poured a pinkish amber, slightly cloudy. Two-finger pinkish-white foamy head, with good retention. Excellent lacing.

Smell: Very sweet berries and sweet malts. Maybe a hint of hops, but the berry pretty much overwhelms everything else.

Taste: Sweet berries up front, very juicelike. Some bready malts near the end after the sweetness wears off, kind of lager-like.

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium bodied. Little carbonation bite, but nothing special.

Drinkability: More of a "near-beer" or alcoholic juice than a true beer. Very easy to drink, but nothing but sweetness and berries. Might be a decent "beach" beer, but not much else.

3.73/5  rDev +33.2%

Appearance: Small head that disappeared quickly, mildly cloudy, with not too much action going on inside my glass.

Smell: Obviously fruity, specifically with blackberries. Cant specifically identify any other berries , but would not be surprised to learn that there were more used.

Taste: Not too knowledgeable on Berliner Weissbier's (I assume this is what it is modeled after), but I thought this was pretty clean. Blackberry flavors to start, definitely refreshing, brief malty finish.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light/watery, more on the carbonated side.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, especially on a summer day. Definitely no problem with getting another one. I think I may do that right now.

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured a very awkward color. Its not sure if its red or if its slightly orange, a bit pink, or maybe even brown. Its got a big foamy white head that sticks to the glass. Its smell is awful. Lots of rotten fruit, sugar sweetness, rancid apple cider and yea berries. It also packs an unpleasant tingly astringent-like feeling in the nose. It tastes bad too, any form of a wheat/bread character is totally blocked by the sweetness. It's cloying. It coats your mouth, deadens your tongue and sticks with you long after you take a sip. This was a dumper...

2.85/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Another beer that I picked up in Totowa recently. This was available in single bottles so I figured why not give it a shot...even though I don't see myself having another one of these for a long time!

The pour looked pretty nice, in that this had a nice purple-pink hue to it and caught the light nicely. There wasn't a lot of head and the lacing was nowhere to be seen...which isn't surprising given the taste. Take a wine cooler, add some syrup, sugar, and a bit of club soda, take the carbonation away, and this is what you're left with. It stays on the palate for a while and I can almost feel a bit of bubble-type scrubbing from this, but that's about it. The taste is that of berry, honey, and of course suger. Diabetics, you'll want to skip this - not that there's a lot of sugar in here, but it'll remind you of what you should be staying away from!

Just like the Honey Weiss I had last night, this has a pretty low 4.70% ABV to it. It doesn't matter much, even though it's a session beer, I doubt that too many people are gonna be chugging 3 or 4 of these in one sitting. This would be a good beer to have after dinner to clean your mouth out before a stronger stout takes over and finishes the night off properly. An average beer, but personally, I could think of quite a few ways I'd rather get berries into my diet...

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Immediately overpowered by the aroma. It is very fruity. It has a purple, pink, brownish hue. It is definitely berry flavored. I am not a huge fan but I could see it going down pretty easily on a warm summer day. It almost tastes more like a wine cooler than a beer. It is too sweet for my liking. Probably a big hit with people who are not fans of the taste of beer.

2.83/5  rDev +1.1%

This purplish-red beer is a berry patch version of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy: pour blackberry, boysenberry and ripe raspberry juice into a easy-going wheat beer.

The combination of sugars and silky wheat beer give this drink a slightly syrupy feel that can put one off if not in the proper mood. But when a drinker wants a soda pop beer, this is a nice choice. This is a great drink for desserts or an autumn evening campfire.

Pours an odd color. It's not fully commited to the berry color. It's got a nice clarity and it's kinda like a pale brown pink purple like watered 50% welches grape and 50% seltzer water.

Smell is alright. Berries. Pale lager characteristics. Light pale malts, and grain.

Taste is also not bad.

Drinks easy and it's a nice summer beer for the non craft crowd. Almost a gateway beer and almost a step in the wrong direction. (may lead to zima or hard lemonade or other malternatives)

2.53/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pink raspberry color with a thin off-white and slightly pink head. Little retention or glass lacing. Aroma is decidedly fresh berries with notes of honey and spice. Flavor is sweet and syrupy with decidedly raspberry, candy sugar, and fresh ripe fruit notes. Generally light body with a sticky sweet mouthfeel. Very sweet. Mix it with the honey weiss for a good brew.

2.03/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had a friend bring this over, raving about it. Thanks.
I cracked this one for my wife, trying to prove that it's beer for people who hate beer, +1 for me!

Poured into a Guinness Pint Glass (I think it winced). It pours a light brown color with a pinkish hue. Small head, nice carbonation.

Smells like Sugar-coated kids cereal. I'm going with Cap'n Crunch oops all berry for a smell on this one. I don't particularly like fruity pebbles.

Tastes as though Crystal Light is breaking into the beer market. Aspartame, stinging fake sugar taste. Tastes like chemicals. Nothing beer about this. Reminds me of some fruity Mad Dog 20/20 flavor I had in college.

Feels like alum in my mouth. Like it's tasting me and taking away all the saliva in my mouth at the same time. Watery and thin. Carbonation isn't all that bad though.

Ugh. I would rather staple my nuts to a burning building than have another one of these. This is like some shitty shirt you get from your grandma with some lame ass saying on the front and your name printed on the back. Play along and pretend you like it while she's in town, dear.

My wife on the other hand, hates beer, thinks this is delicious, and asked me for another one to my disgust.
Great beer for a woman who hates beer!

2.3/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance: Pours out a clearish, pinkish-orangey body with a thinnish, white head.

Smell: Fruity Pebbles on the nose.

Taste: Sugary sweet berry blend, baby! A dash of Snapple, Kool-Aid, a packet of artificial sweetener, and booze. No hops or bitterness. You'll find more IBU's in the angry glare I'm giving this thing.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: This one just isn't for me. Has more in common with those malternative beverages and, if that's your bag, then maybe you'll be damn pleased to pound down a Berry Weiss.

3.38/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Medium cloudy amber with pinkish purple hue. Half finger white frothy head which dissipates quickly leaving a light bead of carbonation on the surface. Leaves decent lacing as you drink.

S: Wheat and strong raspberry nose.

T: Wheat, a little hops, and strong raspberry.

M: Carbonation fills the mouth. Starts with a hint of hoppiness, then the raspberry overtones take over and linger; along with something of a soapy aftertaste.

D: Light body, flavorful. Drinks easy.

Sweet fruity flavor, and not too much in the way of wheat. Nevertheless, it is refreshing, and an overall decent quaff if you like fruit beers. Again it should be noted, if you're mostly a wheat fan, you may be a little disappointed as the fruit leads this dance.

2.7/5  rDev -3.6%

P- Market Cross Pub in Carlisle

A- a peach mango color with lots of cloudiness. The fiance says i am gay for calling it mango. Oh well! Nice lacing on the glass and a quick running head. Tints of purple as well.

S- a sugary malted berry aroma. Very vinegar like and not overly appealing but not horrendous either.

T- very berry and highly carbonated. It is like a tropical berry punch. It seems too gassy for me.

M- carbonation, carbonation and oh yeah carbonation. highly sweet berry juice.

D- one of these was enough, i thought it might be good to try but i cant drink anymore of these. Nice to sample but not to buy a case or even a sixer.

2.95/5  rDev +5.4%

bottle poured into pint glass

a: light purple color, foamy 1/2" head with very little retention

s: strong sweet berry aroma

t: same as the aroma, berry flavor dominates. Don't know if this is a beer or a malternative.

m&d: light bodied, very easy to drink.

Very disapointing flavor, wish it had more bready or yeasty flavor to it to remind that a beer was being drunk.

Cheers!!!