Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
BamaBeerBuff

2.68/5  rDev -4.3%

A: It's a cloudy fuschia and rose-red color with a thin white head that recedes quickly and leaves no lacing. The color is really neat, though.

S: All I smell is berry. No real beer smell anywhere--this smells like a wine cooler, malt beverage, or something else. I dig fruit beers--I really do--but it's still gotta be a beer.

T&M: Tastes like it smells. Tons of berry, hardly any beer. I think I can detect some malt amongst the berries, and maybe a hint of bitterness on the back end in an attempt to balance. This "beer" is light bodied with a lot of carbonation--further adding to its wine-coolerish-ness.

D: Well, it's gotta be drinkable. It's like a Smirnoff Ice without the staggering amount of sugar. The sweetness could still be overpowering eventually, but it wouldn't be difficult to enjoy a few of these on a hot day. I'm just not sure you can actually call this a beer.

04-27-2008 02:10:33 | More by BamaBeerBuff
eb003

Kentucky

3.8/5  rDev +35.7%

I was surprised by this beer, but I have to say that I enjoyed it. I think it leans a bit more towards a lambic with as much fruit and sweetness that it has. My idea of a weiss would be a bit more subtle in flavor.

I did find it light on the palate and refreshing. Overall I wouldn't drink this everyday, but I find it to be a very enjoyable "summer brew".

I say the appearance is good...it's rose color is a bit different than anything I've seen.

The smell is somewhat average as I don't get a strong hint of any beer ingredients...but I do smell the berry.

I liked the taste...although it's much sweeter than any weiss I'm used to.

The mouthfeel was good, I thought. It was still very light and balanced. It was refreshing and crisp.

I rated this pretty good on drinkability mainly because I personally liked the flavor and it is light enough of a beer (not filling) that I could sip on it all night.

Overall I found it enjoyable, but I know this wouldn't be for everyone.

04-26-2008 22:35:55 | More by eb003
williamherbert

3.58/5  rDev +27.9%

Cloudy dark pink color with a foamy white head. Thickness of a darkly pink iced tea. Formidable!

A slightly sour, tart dark berry aroma. Combination of raspberry and maybe blueberry? The sourness keeps it from going to a too-sweet place.

First sip is a sour, puckery berry. Does have a wheaty backbone which has a good, dry counterpunch. It's got a lot of disparate flavors. Not exactly a symphony, but it's a nice selection of tastes within the beer anyhow. Gets better as it warms up.

Feels smooth and milky. Leaves a big film which remains for a while. It's a sweet drink that is much thicker than expected. Really pleasant and balanced sweetness and sour.

04-25-2008 22:02:07 | More by williamherbert
gpogo

2.1/5  rDev -25%

A- Dark pink almost the color of grapefruit and slightly hazy with thin off-white pink tinted head.

A- Almost overpowering sweet berries

T- Berries are the first thing I taste similar to a malt beverage like Schmirnoff but that gives way to a malty flavor and aftertaste.

M- Medium-light body. Moderate-high carbonation.

D- It reminds me of a malt beverage or a mixed drink with a bit of malt added more than anything. Perhaps a non-beer drinker would like this beer, but it's too sweet for my taste.

04-24-2008 00:04:19 | More by gpogo
cjgator3

2.63/5  rDev -6.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours an a pinkish amber color with a pretty nice off-white head that has good lacing and retention qualities . The aroma is very sweet and slightly tart and filled with blackberries, raspberries and other different wildberry smells. The taste like the aroma is almost overwhelmingly sweet with berry flavors and just a touch of wheat flavor under all the sweetness. Overall, this is not a horrible beer, but it is way too sweet for my palate. It almost tastes like a couple of sugar packets were dumped into this beer before consumption. It is one and done for me, thankfully I just bought a single bottle.

04-21-2008 01:48:57 | More by cjgator3
Portertime

3.98/5  rDev +42.1%

I like this beer, it isn't overly sweet like a lot of fruit beer. I had this beer in a pint glass and a refridgerated temperature. Pours a mild golden color. Smells of blue berries, ripe raspberries, not toobad. Tastes just the same but toned down a little. Smooth and fairly easy drinking.

04-18-2008 21:23:03 | More by Portertime
billybob

3.3/5  rDev +17.9%

pours a pink color with a one finger off white head that held well and some nice lacing on the glass. sweet smell of berrys in the nose. the taste of the berrys is ok but much to sweet, like drinking raspberry soda. mouthfeel and carbonation ok. as a desert one bottle would do, how about a berry float with a scoop ice cream?

04-09-2008 15:58:41 | More by billybob
VaTechHopHead

3.58/5  rDev +27.9%

I've always known about Leinenkugel's beers and I finally bought a sampler pack. I first tried the berry weiss and I was kind of shocked. There is a tremendous amount of berry flavor but blended quit well with the beer, and didn't drown out the beer flavor. There wasn't much carbonation but wasn't expected in a fruit beer. Overall I was very impressed and a very simple beer to drink year round I believe.

04-09-2008 02:56:34 | More by VaTechHopHead
MrHurmateeowish

Maine

3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

12oz bottle from Tiger Town in Gardiner. Pours a hazy pinkish-amber body with a good inch of pinkish-white head. Smells like raspberry and perhaps some strawberry and/or cranberry thrown in. Tastes predominantly like strawberry and raspberry and very little else. Pretty dry finish. Light bodied with an awful lot of carbonation. Pretty drinkable, though it'd be better if it were a bit sweeter or more malty IMO. Okay, but not sure it's something I'd get again.

04-07-2008 01:58:01 | More by MrHurmateeowish
Cyberkedi

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev +26.1%

Aroma is full and strongly of raspberry - and I love raspberry. It pours a curious pinkish amber, unusual but not unappetizing. Flavor is mainly fruity, more like a cider than a beer, but crisp and tasty - the raspberry dominates the malt. If you love raspberry, this beer should wet your whistle.

04-06-2008 22:22:13 | More by Cyberkedi
Overlord

1.53/5  rDev -45.4%

This beer was just an abysmal mess. I'm not even sure it's beer.

Pours a bright pink (seriously) with a wacko foam head. Smell is chemicals and fruit, taste is much the same. Just a rancid, fake fruit taste with carbonation bubbling and a watery texture.

Avoid completely.

04-05-2008 09:08:58 | More by Overlord
SixpointJMH

2.53/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours what essentially amounts to a pink colour. Sure there are hints of a light amber, but make no mistake, this is a pink beer (with a foamy light pink head that has a bit of creaminess to it and leaves patches of residue on the glass after setting in). That said, colour aside, this one actually looks quite nice overall.

The aroma is a blend of a bit of wheat, a slight bit of honey and a whole lot of sweet and tart berry notes. Too much berry for my liking, as it was like sniffing a Capri Sun.

The flavour is much like the aroma in that it's just too fruit/berry heavy and ultimately ends up tasting more like a watery smoothie than a beer. Tart raspberry starts off each sip before blending with a sweeter berry flavour and a bit of wheat. Honey is most apparent at the finish of each sip. Mouthfeel is light bodied and mildly refreshing, but a bit too tart.

Did not enjoy this one overall. Give me more beer flavour and less of a fruit bomb. I'd pass on this one again.

04-03-2008 04:21:48 | More by SixpointJMH
Tucquan

1.85/5  rDev -33.9%

I had this beer with a meal in Mattoon, IL. Before ordering it, I asked the waitress if it had a strong fruit taste. She said it did not but she must have been winging it because this tasted like kool-aid. I couldn't drink it because it was soooo sweet with a powerful berry taste. I couldn't tell it was a wheat beer at all.

03-27-2008 16:01:32 | More by Tucquan
JamesS

Indiana

3.55/5  rDev +26.8%

Pours a very red/pinkish color, with a bit of head and a bit of lacing, not bad for a wheat. Very cider/lambic type of aroma, it has a strong berry scent (blackberry mostly), with a bit of apple and honey as well. Nice flavor, although the berry (mostly) and honey (a fair bit) overpower the wheat beer, there's still a bit of it there. It goes down very smoothly, a very refreshing beer, if you want something sweet.

03-26-2008 21:53:47 | More by JamesS
lordofthewiens

Maine

2.2/5  rDev -21.4%

This was one of the selections in the Leinie variety pack. Maybe I would have liked it better on a warm summer day, but I doubt it. This was a reddish/pink beer with a small pink head. When the head quickly disappeared, it looked like fruit juice. It had a sweet berry aroma, not too bad. But the sweetness overwhelmed the taste. Way too sweet, way too juice-like.

03-26-2008 15:07:57 | More by lordofthewiens
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a three-finger pinkish head that fades quickly to a ring leaving traces of lace. Clear red/amber color. Maybe its a blackberry nose. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is sweet and tart berry(?) with a sweet and sour finish. Would make a good summer beer - not one with two feet of snow on the ground. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capital Convenience Concord, NH.

03-24-2008 00:11:19 | More by jdhilt
drumrboy22

Colorado

2.4/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Beer was strawberry in color with a large, pink, foamy head. Heavy carbonation with a very small amount of lacing around the glass. Looks and smells more like a soda than a beer.

Aroma was super sweet with watermelon, raspberry and blueberry.

Taste was sweet as candy. Strawberry and raspberry dominate. Tastes like a Jones soda.

This just isn't for me. It seems like they're trying to pass of a wine cooler or flavored soda as a beer. I just wasn't into it.

03-16-2008 22:43:18 | More by drumrboy22
BACTAdam

4.08/5  rDev +45.7%

A- Pours the color of watermelon with a large foamy head that lingers nicely with some lacing.

S- You can smell this beer across the room. Strong berry scent, not surprising.

T- Maybe not the popular opinion but I loved the taste. Had a fragrant, almost sour taste that reminded me very much of lingenberry soda that you can buy at IKEA. But despite its strong berry, almost fruit wine taste, I sensed some hints of wheat, almost bready or doughy at the back of the tongue. Slightly more complex than I was expecting.

M- Pretty good. Not a whole lot to note here except its almost wine cooler type mouthfeel.

D- Quite drinkable if you're into the fruit beers.

Overall, considerably better than most reviews here would lead you to believe (in my opinion). Leinenkugal's makes a nice product.

03-14-2008 00:55:31 | More by BACTAdam
armock

A - Poured a cloudy purple color with a pink head a little weird

S - Smells a lot like wine lots of berry scents

T - Is like drinking a lighter tasting wine with carbonation

M - This beer has light to medium carbonation

D - Well this is the definition of a girl beer very fruity and sweet I can't say that I'll ever want this beer again once is enough

03-12-2008 02:48:53 | More by armock
Brad007

Vermont

3.38/5  rDev +20.7%

Color: Raspberry red color with a very thick head of foam that sticks around for a while, leaving some lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Very strong berry aroma, likening to a mix of blackberry and raspberry. Seems to mask any other flavors that might be present, which could mean berry flavor is an extract.

Taste: Sweet with berry flavor mingling with wheat. Tastes more like a berry soda than a beer though. Nothing but berries in the taste. Fades to a bit of sourness/bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Berries! Not much else to pick out

Verdict: Too sweet to be an actual weissbeer. It's decent but overdone with the berries. Still might be enjoyable as a summer beer on a hot day.

03-02-2008 23:10:28 | More by Brad007
Riverwarrior

3.78/5  rDev +35%

S = There was a nice black/raspberry smell.

T = The sweetness hits you directly, then the malt/wheat flavors begin to slowly kick in bringing a little balance. The finish was nice with no bitterness.

MF = Very smooth and crisp with moderate carbonation.

I know this particular beer is very polarized in it's reviews. Overall, I felt it was a refreshing beer to have every now and then...but, I wouldn't make it a "session".

03-02-2008 14:35:39 | More by Riverwarrior
BDIMike

3.65/5  rDev +30.4%

Appearance is a cloudy, purple color. There is a lot of fizz and a very thin head that goes away immediately.
Nice smell to this beer. Smells strongly of blackberry with a touch of honey in the smell as well.
The taste is nice with a good berry taste. Does not have much to the taste besides blackberries, but a touch of wheat and malts can be detected as well. A little bit of a strange aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is nice and sharp, but slightly smooth as well.
Good drinkability for a fruit beer.

03-01-2008 22:48:50 | More by BDIMike
kbeals

3.38/5  rDev +20.7%

As soon as I poured the beer all I could think about was Arbor Mist wine. And essentially that's what this beer tastes and looks like. Has a red/pink appearance. Smells of fruit of course, blackberries mostly. The taste was pleasing, but not really a good beer taste, more like alcoholic fruit juice with honey. The beer was smooth overall with good amount of carbonation. If you plan to drink this in front of the boys,though, you better wear a skirt.

02-26-2008 01:44:47 | More by kbeals
matty

3.7/5  rDev +32.1%

A pinkish red beer with a bubbly foan that vanishes to a lacing.Smell is blackberry, blueberry and raspberry.Taste is the same except that there is a dominant honey aftertaste.This is different than any beer I have ever had but in a good way.If you have a sweet tooth definetly worth a try!!

02-24-2008 05:29:14 | More by matty
beeragent

3.55/5  rDev +26.8%

I bought a sixer of this for my girlfriend, but being curious, I had to try one (and you know you did too.) Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. The beer pours a medium red/purple fruit punch color, forming a thin pinkish white head that quickly faded. No lacing to be seen. The aroma is completely dominated by the berry aroma. If there's anything else there, I cant smell it. The flavor is basically the same. Strong berry flavoring, with maybe a hint of wheat. In better terms, its like drinking an alcoholic fruit punch. Light and smooth mouthfeel. For a fruit beer, it drinks very well, but way too sweet to ever be a session ale. I think I would be sick if I were to drink more than one of these in one night. Overall, I suppose its not a bad beverage, but I couldnt really call this a beer IMO. Way too sweet for a beer, but maybe just right to start bringing non-beer drinkers into the field.

02-17-2008 12:44:09 | More by beeragent