Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
berserker256

3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

This is a weird beer. It's pink with a purple/pink hued head. Odd appearance. Smells good like a little kid's juice box or a Capri Sun or something... But with a touch of beer. Very sweet and fruity taste. Raspberries, mostly. Maybe strawberries as well. Tastes like jam. This beer would be more aptly be named "the champagne of beers" instead of Miller High Life. It's too sweet to drink too many of. Good... but chick beer. My wife can have the rest of them.

02-09-2008 19:42:21 | More by berserker256
DavidSeanNJ

3.63/5  rDev +29.6%

A- A bright glowing pink purple color emerges after the pour. This looks more like a wine cooler than a beer. small soapy head.

S- Straight up swwet black raspberry, honey; and maybe even some apple.

T- This is a beer for non-beer drinkers. This beer was sampled and enjoyed by beer haters such as my mother and girlfriend. Sweet and sour berry flavors most notably strawberry and raspberry. There was no wheat flavor at all,. I could not even tell this was a beer.

M- light and airy. This went down easily similar to a fruity juice drink.

D- too swwet to drink all night. this is enjoyable if I was craving for a soda not a beer.

02-09-2008 15:53:27 | More by DavidSeanNJ
pijiu

3.38/5  rDev +20.7%

Appearance: Beers pours out as a thin pink honey. Minimal and porous head that forms a thin ring on the surface. Thin trails of fine carbonation throughout.

Smell: Sweet and Fruity. You can definitely smell the berry (raspberry and strawberry) and stone fruit (apricot and plum).

Taste: Sweet and fruity with a tart tail. Tastes more like a wine cooler or bellini. Very overt taste of strawberry, raspberry and apricot. A hint of citrus. It reminds me of berry-flavoured Boston Seltzer (remember that?)

Mouthfeel: Very thin and easy to drink. Feels like a spiked juice or soft drink. Minor carbonation, very unobstrusive.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable. Tastes sweet and not at all harsh. I would recommend for people who want to drink something sweet, or who are looking for an alcoholic alternative to soda. Good for those who typically do not enjoy more dense beer. Definitely serve cold.

Serving type: bottle poured into a pint glass.

02-08-2008 19:06:49 | More by pijiu
larshultqvist

Arkansas

4.47/5  rDev +59.6%

This is a very refreshing beer with a high drinkability. It is low in bitterness and high in sweetness. I love really bitter IPA:s but you can not judge this beer from that kind of perspective. This beer has got very low ratings on this site and I think it is unfair. There is definately room for this type of beer among the many different types you can try but try this with an open mind. I suspect that this beer has got low ratings on this site by people who are not really used to different types of beers. It is very different but has such a great and refreshing taste that I rank it high for it's originality.

02-07-2008 03:38:50 | More by larshultqvist
ChoqlitStout

4.3/5  rDev +53.6%

A: The beer pours pink! It's got a thin head that dissolves really quickly, so it looks more like champagne than beer.

S: It smells sweet like fruit. Maybe aromatic hops? Mmmmm...

T: Ok, so the beer doesn't really taste like a beer. I haven't tasted enough rasberry beers to know if they really taste like beer, so I'm not going to knock it for that. Not as much carbonation as a Miller Lite, but more than your average beer.

I really like the fruity sweet-tart taste to this beer. I could drink it all day, especially in the summer.

02-04-2008 19:26:29 | More by ChoqlitStout
nrpellegrini

Maryland

3.33/5  rDev +18.9%

Bottle poured to pint glass.

A: Thin dissolving white head, beer color is red and orange, cloudy
S: Very sweet and fruity, strawberries, alcohol, somewhat like champagne
T: Extremely sweet, very carbonated and fizzy, tastes like a spritzer/ wine cooler or champagne, fruit punch juice, alcohol is aparent
M: High carbonation feeling, tingling, fizzy like soda
D: Not to hard to drink but just really sweet, maybe a little too sweet

It doesn't really taste like beer.
I can imagine this would be a lot better with the summer time heat than in winter.

02-04-2008 04:45:59 | More by nrpellegrini
jettjon

2.65/5  rDev -5.4%

From a 12 oz bottle with no visible freshness date, into a pint glass. It's a hazy reddish-brown cloudy color with a thin head of white "spit" despite a vigorous pour. Rapid fade leaves a thin cap with some spotty lace. Nose is very sweet, with a definite "berry" presence, kind of like weak "berry" Kool-Aid. No wheat or yeast aromas. In the mouth, it's like a berry wine cooler, with some natural and artificial berry flavors, most notably blackberry/blueberry. Verging on oversweet but doesn't quite tip the scales. Finishes on a bit of a bready wheat note. Crisp and bubbly on the tongue; complementary to taste. Drinkability is decent; it's not bad but verging on cloying sweetness.

Overall: I'll pass on this one, good thing it was a single at a bar.

02-01-2008 00:12:54 | More by jettjon
ziggy13

2.58/5  rDev -7.9%

Beer pours a light purple color. At first sight I already knew how it would taste. Smell of pure blackberries, nothing else. Taste is of muted berries and honey. Not as much there as I would have thought. This beer couldn't decide if it wanted to be sweet or tart. Very weird tasting fruit/wheat beer. Mouthfeel was that of a hefe, pretty basic there. I couldn't even finish my first one. Had half the bottle and dumped the rest down the old drain. Clearly not one of my favorites.

01-30-2008 19:33:49 | More by ziggy13
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

3.23/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer poured an odd copper-purplish color with little head and little to no lacing. The aroma was of berries. Thats it. Berries. The taste was good. It had a strong berry taste with hints of honey. The mouthfeel was a bit heavy from the honey I'm guessing and the carbonation was medium to high. Overall it was a good beer but was so sweet I could probably only drink one.

01-28-2008 02:00:04 | More by Beerbuddha
brewskitier

2.78/5  rDev -0.7%

Berry wheat beer, deffinatly with more berry than beer. Dont expect much foam or collar, its a wheat. it pours a light purple color, unlike the abita which is much lighter.

S-amazing smell of berrys but oh so sweet.

T- Good for the first few but after 2 or 3 its off to the dentist. this stuff is like a wine cooler.More brew needed to even out sweetness

M- Sweet and sour like a wine cooler, drinks like a pop.

D-This beer has potential if they would add less berry flavoring, i believe this beer is BREWED with berries, not just added but i may be wrong.

All in all, buy the variety pack of lienies, try em all!

01-18-2008 18:52:23 | More by brewskitier
jenbys2001

Japan

2.05/5  rDev -26.8%

I expected this beer to be better since I enjoy the Leine's Sunset Wheat. However, this beer is overpowering in it's sweetness. It tastes more like a berry soda to me than a beer. I can't drink even half of one without feeling a little sick to my stomach. But then again, I don't particularly like sweet tasting beverages.

01-10-2008 02:54:01 | More by jenbys2001
zymurgy4all

2.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Wow--is this a beer? I poured this to get something like the Abita Purple Haze, however with a wonderful blueberry/blackberry aroma. It looked decent, however at the first sip I wondered what I was drinking. If you like wine coolers, this one is for you. It is sweet in such an unnatural way, it must have added sweeteners after fermentation. Hard to rate as a beer as it is closer to some odd thing like Zima to me. I don't know if malts were used in this beer because the berry flavor and sweetness is overpowering. Not bad overall if you don't expect to be drinking a beer.

12-30-2007 22:26:07 | More by zymurgy4all
nsmartell

Wisconsin

3.45/5  rDev +23.2%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own home. From can to pint glass.

Appearance: Not sure what to call the color, somewhat orange with a hint of pink and a pronounced pink head.

Smell: Very berry.

Taste: Very sweet and no bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium and I could definitely notice the carbonation, which I normally can't feel.

Drinkability: I've tasted this beer at Summerfest a few times, but I have never actually "tasted" it until now. It's not nearly as bad I thought it was. Maybe it was the can. Overall, not a bad beer, but not a session beer for me.

12-12-2007 02:24:15 | More by nsmartell
vickersspitfire

It had a good strong dry aroma; it really does smell like berries, I just don’t know if they were blackberries, but very sweet indeed. It reminds me of champagne or some sort of wine cooler. It has a good body that’s medium hazy reddish/brown/orange color, and I thought I saw a hint of purple as I was pouring it into the glass… I’ll check next time if I buy it again. Leinenkugel’s Berry Weiss is topped off with a fluffy thick head that slowly thins out, but has plenty of lacing throughout. It’s got some good carbonation going on. It has a really sweet taste to it, not as dry as I thought it would be, it’s smooth on the tongue, but it’s not a full bodied beer. It goes down pretty smooth and has a mildly dry after taste that’s still sweet and just a bit of alcohol as well. Not bad over all.

11-30-2007 05:11:14 | More by vickersspitfire
Pegasus

Appearance: Moderately hazy amber brown in color, with a small, coarse, off-white head, and scattered, broken lacing, and slight carbonation. There is some slight sediment visible at the bottom of the bottle.

Aroma: Strong aroma of blackberries, lesser honey, alcohol, and minor notes of herbal hops.

Taste: Rather pronounced notes of blackberries, almost like a blackberry cordial. Midway through the taste, some honey notes appear. Interestingly, none of the classic characteristics of wheat malt, seem to be present. Finishes dry, with a lingering blackberry wine note. Very sweet throughout.

Mouth feel: Smooth and fairly full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Pleasant and drinkable, although more like a wine cooler, than a beer. The blackberry notes overwhelm the distinctive character of wheat malt.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a twist off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

11-18-2007 01:56:23 | More by Pegasus
bigeyedfish

3.08/5  rDev +10%

From a bottle into a Franziskaner weissbier glass. It was a warm day in Philly[for November] and I felt the desire to drink from a wheat glass; this was the only thing in my fridge that I could pour into a wheat glass.

Pours a nice, orange/red body with a big, pretty long-standing white head that has shades of pink throughout. Nice lacing when the head finally starts to recede; a decent beer to look at and it's nice to see something framed up in the wheat glass again.

To be honest, it smells like cranberry juice and ginger ale. Almost exactly like that. That's the big flavor, and probably the only flavor I get from it. Although I did the wine glass move, swirled it a lot, tried to get some aromas from it, and all I get is a rotten fruit/must kind of smell. Wish I would have left it at Raspberry Ginger Ale (which after a lot of smelling is the dominant nose, not the initial raspberry. The swirling brings out the mustiness and it becomes just Raspberry Ginger Ale.) Whatever.

Taste is not that bad in the first sip and as the finish grows in length. It starts out with an acceptable raspberry+sour cherry mix, which does not sound good, but really isn't that bad when compared with the mid palate. The mid palate is there, which I have to say is appreciated, since there are a lot better beers that don't have the flavor change, but to be honest, it taste's like celery and raspberries mixed together in seltzer, which to be honest is a little weird. The finish is nice; an almost raspberry jam/raspberry pop tart filling component coming through on the finish which I like. Just for the transition of three distinct flavors this gets a 3.5; it's not good, not with that mid-palate, but it's certainly better than a lot of beers. Yeah, the mid palate is where this beer goes to die. But to be honest, with the start and finish, if there wasn't a mid palate it would be even worse. But respect to the brewer for producing a fair complex beer within a style that is not known for a lot of complexity.

Just like with the taste, the mouthfeel could be a lot worse. There's definitely some taking hold of the outside area of the palate in the back-third of the mouth. Across from the back two teeth, that's where the beer takes hold, really gets in deep with a nice, really, really, takes three or four times to even notice its there subtle raspberry flavor. Again, not great, but respected. The mid-palate is where a lot of the flavors live; the crappy celery/raspberry/seltzer combination leaves that nice raspberry jam finish lingering in the mid palate; it takes awhile to realize it's there, but it definitely is.

It's a fruit beer, and it's kind of soda pop-py, so on a pretty hot summer day, I imagine that if you had an affinity for sweet drinks it would be pretty drinkable; this is something that [presumably] sorority/college girls would go nuts for. In the cold, I mean, it's nice to break open a summer beer in the [almost] winter (assuming the beer is fresh, which this one surprisingly is) but after I finish this glass I'm going to go drink some water; it's a little TOO sweet.

In all honesty, the quality of this beer far surpasses the taste of this beer. Three distinct flavors, a noticeable flavor change, a really nice, subtle, long lingering finish. A pretty palate-gripping mouthfeel. This, from a shear construction perspective, a top-level beer. But the flavor just is too much. With that ALL said, if you want to try a refreshing fruit beer, that is one of the more well made examples of the style, this is it. Props to the brewers; I'd gladly serve this to female acquaintances who like cosmo's and maybe even throw back one or two just to admire the craftsmanship.

11-14-2007 01:22:46 | More by bigeyedfish
shererjt

2.63/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured a hazy, slightly pinkish yellow with a thick, pink head. Rather strong berry aroma--smelled like a wine cooler. Very sweet and lambic-like, almost like cough syrup. Yet at the same time it wasn't unpleasant. The underlying beer was not weiss-like at all in my opinion. Aftertaste was a bit nasty, which made the drinkability less than average.

Different, but too medicinal for my taste.

11-02-2007 22:21:53 | More by shererjt
sloejams

2.58/5  rDev -7.9%

Visiting in Chicago the other day, we were in a bit of a rush heading to party so just stopping by the local grocer I grabbed a 6 pack and for whatever reason my buddy grabbed this.

At the party, I figured I had to at least give it a try. I really was shocked at how sweet it was. The flavors really didn't seem all that natural. I was able to stomach one, but that's about it.

11-02-2007 19:50:39 | More by sloejams
acrawf6

Louisiana

3.15/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours out an orangish pink haze with quite a pink head, which rests to a small pillowing bubbles.

Smell. Very potent with the berries. Label says blackberry juice...i guess i get that. It is hard to tell, the berry aroma is very fresh, so it has that sweet and tartness to it. I also get a lot of strawberry due to this.

Taste. I was not expecting such a strong flavor of the berries, but it was quite there, puckered my jaw muscles. It is a very sweet beer, after a few sips of getting used to it, i can tell it is a wheat beer (I guess from lack of bitterness), but is still dominant of berries- tastes syrupy like juice from concentrate. With the strawberries i get from the aroma, i also get a good amount of rasberry. Aftertaste has a little bit of the tartness. Absolutely no bitterness in this beer.

Mouthfeel. body is at a happy medium for the style. Carbonation is appropriate.

Overall, i can see many people giving 5 for drinkability, and many giving a 1. I think they did a good job making what they wanted to make, a very fruity and sweet tasting beer that a large population would enjoy. With that being said, as a beer, it is lacking good qualities a beer should have (i.e. a malt flavor or hoppy flavor). So it is hard to give it an extreme on either side. It is as if they intended on making a drink similar to a smirnoff or wine cooler with beer ingredients, and did it. Personally, i think i can buy this again when wanting a beer that doesnt taste like a typical beer (malty). It is different, and a change up, which i need from time to time.

Edit: After having a few more, this beer began to drop on the drinkability scale...just so concentrated and fruity. It really reminds me of if one of the big boys decided to try and make a fruit lambic for the masses.

10-31-2007 00:04:31 | More by acrawf6
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

2.33/5  rDev -16.8%

We recently bought a keg of this because it was extremely cheap, decided to try it as getting Leinenkugel beer out here is quite rare.

A: This stuff looked like berry lemonade when being poured out of the keg. The head wasn't too bad, a nice bright white that lasted surprisingly well.

S: The smell was of well...berries and not much else. As my one friend said, it smells like cereal and beer.

T: My initial reaction to this was that it was very very sweet. Almost like drinking a "Hard" Lemonade. There is actually very little in this beer that made me think beer, the aftertaste was somewhat malty though to bring me back to the fact that indeed it was a beer.

M: All i can say for the mouth is that it is sugary, almost to the point of hurting one's teeth. The carbonation though was exactly what I like in a beer.

D: Overall this beer is quite easy to drink, and drink a fair amount of it, I wouldn't recommend more than one or two as the sugar really can catch up quickly.

I wasn't dissappointed with the beer, but I did figure it would be a little less fruity and sugary. As far as getting a keg to drink before a football game, it was not a wise decision.

10-29-2007 05:21:47 | More by pokesbeerdude
biggmike

Mississippi

3.6/5  rDev +28.6%

Poured a color that was attractive and reminiscent of pink grapefruit juice or pink lemonade only a little darker. Upon opening of the bottle, your nose is overwhelmed by the smell of berries. The aroma to me was very much like wine. The taste was also of berries, a balanced convergence of sweet and tart flavors. The mouthfeel was very pleasant and nicely carbonated. I thought this was very refreshing. I could not session it, but its a nice refresher.

10-25-2007 19:22:08 | More by biggmike
brentk56

3.6/5  rDev +28.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy pink lemonade color with a forthy head that shows great retention and lacing

Smell: A big whiff of raspberry/blackberry

Taste: Opens with a sweet/tart berry flavor, with the sweeter elements winning the battle both before and after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and effervescent

Drinkability: Not a bad fruit beer but just not my type of fruit beer

10-21-2007 23:08:25 | More by brentk56
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

With the recent win of a GABF gold medal I thought I would give the can someone left in my cooler at a pig roast a try.

A - Pours a pink grapefruit juice color with good deal of carbonation and a thin white head.

S - Sweet strawberries, raspberries and blackberries.

T - All sweet berries with strawberry, raspberry and blackberry. There is a slight dryness that makes the berries taste like an extract. Not much beer taste in the background.

M - Light and well carbonated that creates a fizzy mouthfeel.

D - I could see how someone that doesn't like craft beer could easily enjoy this. Tastes a lot like a wine cooler.

10-21-2007 22:40:12 | More by brewcrew76
jasonpeckins32

1.88/5  rDev -32.9%

Too much berry flavor for me. This is definitly a chick beer, which is okay, but I still think even most of the wine cooler babes would rather have those than switch to a beer like this. It tastes a lot like raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, not much like beer, and way too sweet. It has a slick, syrupy feel, too sugary. Its not for me, thats for sure.

10-16-2007 04:27:58 | More by jasonpeckins32
jasonjlewis

4.33/5  rDev +54.6%

This beer is probably underrated because it's a leine's. However, I really liked it. A lot of fruit beers are pussy on putting fruit in. Sometimes malts come out and then there is a hint of fruit. If you make a fruit beer, make the fruit come out. I like it. This beer had great beery flavor. There wasn't a whole lot going on with it. It was simple and to the point. It's a good tasting beer and I'm not surprised that it got Gold at the GABF.

Again I reviewed this using my cell phone for notes. Sorry I can't give more detailed reviews for the past few beers and this one.

10-14-2007 23:19:39 | More by jasonjlewis