Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
3.35/5  rDev +19.6%

The name of this brew pretty much says it all. Not being a "fruit beer" kinda guy, it was a stretch to even make the purchase. But I wanted something light and drinkable so I gave it a whirl.

Predictable pinkish copper hue when poured from the 12 ouncer into my Sam Adams custom glass. Light carbonation and only a sliver of a head.

Nothing overly discernable in the nose that bops you in the head. In fact, it took a fair amount of swirling for the slightest whiff of strawberry/raspberry to appear. More evident as it warmed.

The taste was...well, juice like. Sweet from the red berries. It could easily pass for a NAB.

Mouthfeel reflected the taste. Juice like with little evidence of etoh.

You really gotta be in the mood for this stuff. A little too sweet for my palatte, though refreshing enough on a hot day I suppose.

2.38/5  rDev -15%

Pours hazy copper color with a little pink in there. This beer smells like any other mixed berry product. Taste is pretty much that... a mixed berry flavor which is very sweet. This is so sweet and fruity I can only drink one of these at a time.

I won't say that's it's terrible because I'll finish the rest that I got. But I would not get this again.

3.08/5  rDev +10%

Pours a mostly red but slightly purple dark color with a short lived head.

A: The color makes up for the quickly fading head, it's the kind of beer color that makes you just curious enough to try it at least once.

S: Smells like fruit punch concentrate. Gets you curious to take a sip to see if the taste follows up the strong fruity scent.

T: Too fruity for me. The only thing you taste besides something comparable to a berry smoothie is a hint of hops and a slight raw alcohol taste.

M: It's bubbly but not to the point where it hurts to swish it a bit in your mouth.

D: I'm not going to call it a queer beer, because it isn't, but it does go down like water- (rough exaggeration).

Bottom line- An ok price for a slightly below average beer. If you like a heavy fruit taste in your beer you should give it a try, but it's just not really my cup of tea.

3.65/5  rDev +30.4%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle.

Pours a reddish color with a very light pinkish colored fluffy head. The head does not last very long. There is decent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is quite fruity and sweet. Aroma of raspberries, blackberries, strawberries. Smells almost like a fruit soda. There is also some malty aromas too, but they somewhat hidden by the berries.

Taste is quite nice. It has a tartness too it, not overly sweet. The berry flavors are the same as the aromas, and taste natural. There are some malty flavors that seem to balance it out for me. Finish is a bit malty with some very slight bitterness. Mouthfeel is good, kind of smooth with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is very good too.

Overall, one of the better fruit beers I have had. Does not taste artificial. Will definitely have this one again.

2.98/5  rDev +6.4%

This reddish creamy beer was a little better than I expected. Pretty light with a significant berry flavor, but not to overwhelmingly fruity that you can't taste the fact that it's a wheatbeer. While far from one of my favorites, it beats some of the Sam Adams berry beers that I have had by quite a large margin.

1.55/5  rDev -44.6%

A= scary purple not typical of beer with a light head
S= fruity not a beer smell at all. Coulda fooled me into thinking it was wine
T= Way way way to fruity. They over did this beer. I'm usually a fan of Lines but this one is just not for me. I know plenty of girls who live for it though
M= high carbonation which in my opinion made it a little more drinkable
D= Hard to do more than one without something in between. Gave me a little tummy ache :(

3.13/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Red color with orange around teh edges where the light hits. Pours a two finger foamy white head with fair retention. Decanted steadily. No lacing.

S: Strong scent of sweet blueberries and rasberries.

T: Very fruit-juicy; frnaly not minful of beer. There is a slight malty taste, but it gets lost quicly in sweet berries.

M: Light and thin. Ample carbonation brightens the sweetness.

D: More of a flavored alcohol beverage thatn a weis as the name implied. Drinkable as long as you can stomach the sweet taste - some have more tolerance of that others.

3.95/5  rDev +41.1%

Appearance: Pink, orange, purple, some weird blend of colors, with a decent head. Nice looking foam. Appearance isn't bad, just something out of the ordinary for beer.

Aroma: Berries are VERY strong in this. Fruity which was the intent, obviously

Taste: Rather syrupy and the berries are predominant. A little much, I'd say, a lambic might not be this syrupy. Not bad, though.

Mouthfeel: Light, kind of crisp, but not too much. Body isn't too heavy, but its not meant to be.

Drinkability: Fruity and light, so it would work out for many people who aren't too fond of the taste of beer. Its a beer for those who don't like beer. Does that job well. I'm not the target consumer for this style, but I wouldn't mind a couple.

2.58/5  rDev -7.9%

Whoa, this one is just way too fruity. Tastes like one of those alcopop things, not like a beer at all. If you're in the mood for an alcoholic fruit juice grab this guy, but otherwise steer clear. I mean I don't mind fruit beers at all.. but this one's a little too much... I'd pass on it.. it's almost too hard to finish a single bottle.

2.28/5  rDev -18.6%

My brother gave me a single of this. I don't know why. I won't be thanking him.

Pours a burnt orange color, slightly hazed with a pretty full but fizzy off-white, slightly pinkish head. Actually keeps a pretty good head.

Smell is sweet and fruity, lots of berry aromas. I can tolerate most any smell so long as it's not offensive. This is fruity but it's not offensive.

I said I could tolerate any smell as long as it's not offensive, but not so with the taste. This is ridiculously sweet and fruity. Lots of berry flavor, like drinking a malt liquor or something. It's not really a bad flavor, but not something I seek out in beer, or anywhere else actually. My brother described it as fruity pebbles in beer. I'll go with that.

Mouthfeel is light, but not thin, with adequate carbonation.

I won't touch this again. This might work on my wife, but I don't need another.

4.2/5  rDev +50%

1st, let me put you strait. I am not terribly fond of standard beer, I love sweet and sour drinks, but most beers i find are either bitter or skunky, neither of which i care for.

Appearance - pouring into a pilsner, looks like a purple wine, not really a beer, however it does give a fairly good head, and distinct lacing.

Aroma - smells like a sweet drink, closer to juice than beer.

Taste - sort of like you take a light beer and put some juice in it. has some beer flavor, but not significant. if you don't really care for most beers, you might like it. I did.

Mouthfeel - feels foamy and light, what i prefer.

Drinkability - even someone who doesn't usually care for beer, I could drink several fairly quickly without realizing its beer.

1.85/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a slightly hazed fruit punch color (pinkish?) with a thin pink head that descends to a patch. I would say it's not a particularly attractive color for a beer.

Smells like a fruity wine spritzer with added fruitiness - esp. blackberry. Very fruity - I guess that's what they were going for.

The taste is ... not good. Sweet artificial fruit syrup with honey added as a bonus on top of the sweetness from the fruit syrup. There's a touch of maltiness, adding more to sweetness - Forget the hops. Imbalanced sweetness. If this were a fruity "malt beverage" I would say it was not bad, but it has "bier" written on it. Why write it in German? Why write it at all? Hardly has any beer characteristics - a touch of malt...a vague tartness, maybe? Just barely enough to keep sweetness from lingering forever (though it lasts too long, anyway.) Finishes...sweet.

Light-bodied and fizzy. Over-carbonation's only redeeming quality (if it has any) is that it lifts away some of the sweet aftertaste, a bit.

Is this beer or a malternative? With willpower (and putting beer out of my mind) I was able to finish one (and give the rest to a female neighbor who drinks the "malt beverages" to share with her friends. Better them than me!

1.43/5  rDev -48.9%

If I'd not see it pour from the bottle into my glass I would have thought someone was playing a joke on me. This was another beer we tried at our monthly beer club meeting, and I was not impressed to say the least. It tastes like someone took a berry wine cooler and a light beer a mixed them together. Maybe its because I like darker beers but I thought it was awful.

It poured to a brownish purple color, with a nice head. The smell was fruitty to say the least(not what I want in a beer). The head lasted the entire time I chocked down my 6 ounce sample. The taste was very different, you can taste all the berrys that were put into it.

To me its a beer you give your girlfriend who dosen't like beer.

To each their own though a couple of our members gave it a high ratings in our own little rating system (17,18 out of 20) a personally give it a very generous 4 out of 20.

3.28/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance - pours a diluted pink grapefruit juice color. A huge rocky pink head nearly overflows the glass. Plenty of lace trails interconnecting around the glass.

Aroma - wine cooler fruitiness, like candy or Kool-Aid.

Taste - wine cooler taste. If you put this in a wine cooler bottle, folks may not know the difference. The fruitiness is not offensively sweet, but neither is Gatorade. Stable flavor throughout, the finish shows off nothing new.

Mouthfeel - a sweet slickness to this, which I expected. Carbonation is a bit to the lighter side, adding some softness to the feel.

Drinkability - all it takes is a little sweet tooth to enjoy the beer. It was easily dispatched but not something I'd buy on purpose.

4.35/5  rDev +55.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the Bottle in a glass Mug was a cloudy amber red with 3/4 inch head that goes down to a 1/2 inch quickly.Smell of Berries, and fruit. This stuff tastes great, mixing Beer with Berries it is kind of a Berry Beer Soda with its carbonation! I myself can taste the beer of it but has a very nice amount of berry flavor,blackberry & Raspberry. Not to sweet either as I have had some that are so sweet it is ruined this one is great. It is highly Refreshing in your Mouth and it is very drinkable drank 3 in a row would have had another but time to go to bed! If you want to try this type of Beer this is the one to try not high priced, but High quality and great flavor!
Leinenkugel has hit a Home run with this one.
'Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food'

3.43/5  rDev +22.5%

Half-inch foamy head on top of a hazy red-tinged orange color. No lace. Ho-hum.

All kinds of berry in the nose--obviously blackberry, but I could be tricked into believing there was raspberry and strawberry here. Even currant. Quite nice actually, but the fact I can't pick anything else out--like malt, hops, yeast, for example--doesn't bode well.

Flavor is as expected--total berry incarnate. With frothed milk and sugar. It's actually okay, but I'm still bothered by the fact that none of the traditional traits of beer are detected. Even the biggest, most extreme beers show their beer-iness in some way. With this I'm getting blackberry-creamsicle soda. I happen to love blackberry and any kind of creamsicle resemblance, so Leinie's Berry Weiss escapes this beer geek's wrath.

Mouthfeel lends a great slab of creaminess over the spritzy, soda-like texture. Pretty tart, almost pucker-inducing. Really liked this feature of the beer.

I don't know...should I commit hari-kari for liking this? I certainly wouldn't ever gravitate toward this given even mildly better choices, but it's not near as bad as I'd expected. And still not the hellish Boo-Berry soda that Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is. My German-beer-expert better-half says it tastes just like the German style this is derived from, and she would know. Give it a whirl.

4.28/5  rDev +52.9%

I never was a fruity wheat kind of beer drinker, but as I've gotten older, my palate seems to have changed and now I seem to enjoy any kind of beer.

This beer scared me at first. I was told it has an overpowering berry taste to it, and I was reluctant to get it. However, I had heard the same thing about Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, yet I found that beer to be exceptional.

I had the beer in the bottle so I have no idea what it looks like, though I'm guessing something purpley-pinkish.

It smells like you would expect...very berry, and not at all like a beer.

In your mouth, you can feel the burn of the carbonation, but it's very refreshing at the same time.

There is no hint of bitter in the aftertaste, only berries.

Instead of a beer flavored with berries, it tastes more like a wine coolers flavored with a hint of beer. That's not a bad thing, but not everyone will like this beer because of it.

I enjoyed my first bottle after a long round of golf in the hot sun. It really was refreshing and totally hit the spot for me.

2.05/5  rDev -26.8%

Very interesting. I have never really found a "berry" beer that I thought was good. Pouring this from the bottle into a glass, it was actually a pink color. Once poured it settles down to more like a copper color, some haze and a pinkish tint to it. Thick white, pinkish tinted head and quite a bit of lace. The aroma is.... you guessed it. Berries. If I had to pick one, blackberries. The taste is very carbonated and berry-like. It seemed like it was flavored seltzer. Nothing I'll get again.

2.15/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pours light amber with a bubbly thick head.

Smell is alcoholic and stout, with an artificial berry and solvent note.

Taste is astringent, yet true to the style. A bit solventy, yet filled with a juicy berry and weiss combonation. The weiss is definitely in the background with the berry taking over. Moderately sweet, and the flavors aren't too offensive - the astringent metallic note though is. So going to knock some points off here.

An odd tasting beer, that doesn't quite stack up and the metallic note just kills it. A nice attempt though.

2.25/5  rDev -19.6%

A- Pours a purple color small head that goes to a thin layer of bubbles leaving no lacing.

S- Very sweet. Berries imagine that and that's about it.

T- Again berries all over the place. That's all I could taste very sweet. More like a wine cooler than a beer.

M- Seems really light and watery.

D- Well, I'm still not a fan of these fruit beers. I'll keep trying them and maybe find one that I like. I'll pass on this way too sweet and fruity for me.

3.08/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Purple in color with about a finger of head. Short retention, with some lacing.

S - Berries and grapes. Mostly I get some combination of blueberries and blackberries, with grapes and perhaps raspberries thrown in. Nearly non-existant prototypical "beer" aromas.

T - Horribly sweet, with the same homogenized berry flavor from the nose. Very simple, very fruity.

M - Moderate carbonation with a mildly syrupy body. Went alright considering the flavor.

D - I didn't hate this beer, but it wasn't much of a beer and as such I would never/could never drink this as if it were just a beer. It is far too sweet.

3.03/5  rDev +8.2%

Editing my review. First review on 8-12-2008. This is more accurate.

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass.

Color is a peach pink color. Hazy head is 1/2 fingers. The head is a pink/off-white. Fizzles down quickly. No lacing.

Aroma is very fruity. Lots of berries. Smells more like juice than beer. Wine cooler aroma.

Taste is almost exactly like a wine cooler. B and Js Sangria comes to mind (my gf likes these so I have tried it). Lots of berries. This is quite interesting, not in a good way.

Mouthfeel is crisp and somewhat smooth. Ends with a mouth full of berries. Kind of dry. Medium to light bodied. Decent carbonation.

Overall: I would not have this again because I would want a beer instead. Buy this for your girlfriend that enjoys wine coolers.

2.9/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This didn't so much look like a beer as it did a mixed drink. If it weren't for the foam, I wouldn't know what it was.

Smelled and tasted like a wine cooler. It wasn't bad, just strange for beer. Lots of berry flavors.

Somewhat creamy mouthfeel, and fairly easy to drink, though the tart berry flavors become a bit too much eventually.

3.13/5  rDev +11.8%

The beer pours a hazy purple color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a dry pale and wheat malt scent along with a sweet blackberry aroma. The taste is average. It has a watery wheat malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes with a tangy blackberry taste. It's sweet tasting with a thin watery feel. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This tastes more like soda than beer. It's one and done for me.

3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Pours between a red and a pink color with a nice head that left lots of acing.

Smell: Smel is heavy of raspberries and other citrus fruits.

Taste: Tastes like grapefruit and raspberries and not like a beer at all. Kind of bitter. It tastes more like spiked punch.

Mouthfeel: Very light and more like a wine cooler than beer.

Drinkability: Not bad for the summer or people who are tired of the same old thing.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company