Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,190 | Reviews: 364
4.5/5  rDev +60.1%

4.47/5  rDev +59.1%

In my opinion this beer is great on a warm summer night or anytime during the summer. I work part-time at a beer distributor and have recommended this beer to customers and it seems to sell ok when we have it in stock. my friends also seem to enjoy it too.

4.47/5  rDev +59.1%

One of my favorite pseudo-craft beers. It's 207 calories will scare some away, but this is a damn refreshing and delicious beer. Strong notes of wild berries with a bit of a wheat aftertaste.

Great in bottles, even better in a frosty can or mug. Love it.

4.45/5  rDev +58.4%

VERY impressive fruit beer.

I can say for certain this the best fruit beer I've had to date. It looks like a slightly dark wheat with strong head. The fruit aroma is pleasant, not overbearing at all. The taste is fantastic! It's a natural flavor that is welcomed uniformly on the pallet and goes down super smooth. I'm definitely getting more of this stuff. Great job Chippewa Falls!

4.44/5  rDev +58%

This is a very refreshing beer with a high drinkability. It is low in bitterness and high in sweetness. I love really bitter IPA:s but you can not judge this beer from that kind of perspective. This beer has got very low ratings on this site and I think it is unfair. There is definately room for this type of beer among the many different types you can try but try this with an open mind. I suspect that this beer has got low ratings on this site by people who are not really used to different types of beers. It is very different but has such a great and refreshing taste that I rank it high for it's originality.

4.37/5  rDev +55.5%

Eye: Ok, so this is a first. The beer is pink! Its got fairly good head retention(at about 1/2 a finger) with some splotchy lacing...the head is an off white pinkish tinted color. Clear for a wheat beer, really you could say it looks like raspberry tea of lemonade, but just a tad clearer. Definitely looks good for the girly drink that it is. A bit more head would give it something more I think. Looks more like a wine cooler than a beer though. If you're in the mindset of wine cooler it looks great but in the mindset of beer it isn't all that appetizing to the eye, just too bright for what the general idea of beer is.

Nose: This beer is extremely potent. It has aromas of chiefly raspberries and strawberries. There is an overall soda sweet aroma in this brew. It also has a somewhat sour aroma-similiar to that of a framboise lambic. Not much of a wheat aroma here, but I believe that the nose of this beer is exactly what the brewmaster was going for. If you're going to make a fruit beer, well then go all the way and make it smell fruity.

Tongue: Well you can't flaw the brewer on this brew. It is most likely one of the best fruit beer's I've ever had. There is a full flavor profile of berries in this beer. Right up front the easily identifiable and right in your face berry flavor-again chiefly raspberry and strawberry-is followed by a nice wheat flavor which nicely balances out the "girlieness" of this beer. In my opinion this is the best fruit beer, even moreso the best wheat fruit beer, that I've ever drank. If one is going to make a fruit beer than make the fruit noticeable as is done here. I like the boldness of this beer. This beer captures the best of the wine cooler world-full fruit flavor and the best of the wheat beer world-the wheat flavor. It is a real nice blend of wine cooler and wheat beer-flavor wise.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: In the mouth this beer is spritzy, just like a wine cooler. Light and a highly carbonated body are perfect for this style of beer. Feels just right in the mouth. This beer is something that one has to be in the mood for. I think it would be very very refreshing on a hot summer day, it is something that I'll probably buy again, it might be a while, but I can assure you that sometime during the summer I'll be buying this beer again. If you are a fan of fruit beer that this is a must try. I won't be afraid to admit it. I like fruit beer, and this is one of the best I've ever had.

4.35/5  rDev +54.8%

This beer is probably underrated because it's a leine's. However, I really liked it. A lot of fruit beers are pussy on putting fruit in. Sometimes malts come out and then there is a hint of fruit. If you make a fruit beer, make the fruit come out. I like it. This beer had great beery flavor. There wasn't a whole lot going on with it. It was simple and to the point. It's a good tasting beer and I'm not surprised that it got Gold at the GABF.

Again I reviewed this using my cell phone for notes. Sorry I can't give more detailed reviews for the past few beers and this one.

4.32/5  rDev +53.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the Bottle in a glass Mug was a cloudy amber red with 3/4 inch head that goes down to a 1/2 inch quickly.Smell of Berries, and fruit. This stuff tastes great, mixing Beer with Berries it is kind of a Berry Beer Soda with its carbonation! I myself can taste the beer of it but has a very nice amount of berry flavor,blackberry & Raspberry. Not to sweet either as I have had some that are so sweet it is ruined this one is great. It is highly Refreshing in your Mouth and it is very drinkable drank 3 in a row would have had another but time to go to bed! If you want to try this type of Beer this is the one to try not high priced, but High quality and great flavor!
Leinenkugel has hit a Home run with this one.
'Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food'

4.27/5  rDev +52%

A: The beer pours pink! It's got a thin head that dissolves really quickly, so it looks more like champagne than beer.

S: It smells sweet like fruit. Maybe aromatic hops? Mmmmm...

T: Ok, so the beer doesn't really taste like a beer. I haven't tasted enough rasberry beers to know if they really taste like beer, so I'm not going to knock it for that. Not as much carbonation as a Miller Lite, but more than your average beer.

I really like the fruity sweet-tart taste to this beer. I could drink it all day, especially in the summer.

4.24/5  rDev +50.9%

I never was a fruity wheat kind of beer drinker, but as I've gotten older, my palate seems to have changed and now I seem to enjoy any kind of beer.

This beer scared me at first. I was told it has an overpowering berry taste to it, and I was reluctant to get it. However, I had heard the same thing about Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, yet I found that beer to be exceptional.

I had the beer in the bottle so I have no idea what it looks like, though I'm guessing something purpley-pinkish.

It smells like you would expect...very berry, and not at all like a beer.

In your mouth, you can feel the burn of the carbonation, but it's very refreshing at the same time.

There is no hint of bitter in the aftertaste, only berries.

Instead of a beer flavored with berries, it tastes more like a wine coolers flavored with a hint of beer. That's not a bad thing, but not everyone will like this beer because of it.

I enjoyed my first bottle after a long round of golf in the hot sun. It really was refreshing and totally hit the spot for me.

4.21/5  rDev +49.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss. I grabbed a sixer of this on my way out of work the other day for my girlfriend to try. Yeah yeah yeah. i know. you think i'm trying to pawn this off on her. but really, she likes flavored beers from time to time, so i thought she'd like to try this. Of course, i grabbed a swig from her first beer, and ended up splitting the pack with her. This stuff is really good! It pours a rich garnet, clear ruby color, with a surprisingly thick 1/2 inch head. it doesn't have the most appealing smell, kind of fleetingly sweet and a bit funky, but nothing unappetizing. Tastes like juicy blackberries in a bowl of cereal. not overbearing, light enough to want another several. tastes great while dipping copenhagen snuff. the bittersweet balance is mouthwatering. as far as mouthfeel, it's creamy, slightly overcarbonated, but has a nice dry finish--where the cereal flavors come in. Good Beer. Get a sixer for your girlfriend and drink it for her.

4.2/5  rDev +49.5%

Wow is this really beer it almost taste like a smirnoff ice rasberry malt cooler. I find it one of the easiest things in the beer category to drink although it is so sweet it is almost a desert. Smell is like a cider almost. Mouthfeel is kind of bleh, not bubbly enough.

4.18/5  rDev +48.8%

Appearance- pour a redish/pink color with very thick white head that has long retention, very low to any carbonation to be seen, nice unusual appearance

Smell- wheat notes dominated by blackberry and blueberry like smell on nose,very fruity nose

Taste- okay the taste on this one is pretty good better even then i think the nose, and better then i was expecting, has a lot sweetness up front but a very nice tart finish really keeping things in a nice check, i really like the sweet and sour aspect of this beer, its a very enjoyable flavor profile to me and i think alot people non beer too would like that flavor, reminds me of some different lambic kind of fruit beers i have had often at much higher prices,

Mouthfeel- medium bodied and rather creamy and pretty smooth feel

Drinkabillity- overall i found this beer to beer very drinkable and enjoyable, not sure if something i could pound all night but certainly a rather unique and tasty beer offering, i think this beer would be very well like by alot of my friends that are even non beer drinkers which can be nice to have around for when they would be around, overall wound up finding myself pleasantly surprised by this one,

4.17/5  rDev +48.4%

Here is a fun change for those who like to challenge their beer taste buds. As a surprise this beer comes off like a wine cooler. Get past the, “this is too sweet to be beer” and enjoy the enveloping berry flavor. Try it on your favorite female companion and get her opinion. A man drink Leinenkugel Berry Weiss is like man driving a Mozda Miata or wearing a kilt. Just let go, be free and enjoy the experience….

4.15/5  rDev +47.7%

I purchased this at a Hyvee in Omaha, Nebraska. The beer has a dark pink body with a white head. The aroma and taste are berries, berries, and more berries with some wheat thrown in. Mouthfeel is kinda light, but also crisp. This is the beer that got me out of malternatives, and will never go back. Very drinkable if you like fruity malt beverages that still can be called beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company