2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Berry WeissLeinenkugel's Berry Weiss

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 276-300 | 301-325 | 326-350  | next › last »
Ratings: 986 | Reviews: 344 | Show All Ratings:
ATPete

1.7/5  rDev -39.5%

12oz bottle

The berry weiss pours a very awkward color. Its not sure if its red or if its slightly orange, a bit pink, or maybe even brown. Its got a big foamy white head that sticks to the glass. Its smell is awful. Lots of rotten fruit, sugar sweetness, rancid apple cider and yea berries. It also packs an unpleasant tingly astringent-like feeling in the nose. It tastes bad too, any form of a wheat/bread character is totally blocked by the sweetness. It's cloying. It coats your mouth, deadens your tongue and sticks with you long after you take a sip. This was a dumper... Avoid this during your summer beer search. There are lots of better options in the 'flavored wheat beer' category. Try a Lambic, Blue Point Blueberry Ale, DFH Black and Blue or Red and White instead. Or you could just stick with the good old Sunset Wheat from Leinenkugels!

06-09-2008 22:49:28 | More by ATPete
rowew

1.68/5  rDev -40.2%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, twist. Label is a bit different than the one pictured here - purple and gold, talks about being flavored with honey and blackberry juice.

Appearance: Wow - cloudy and really pink, just a bit orangish. Medium head with good retention - but even that is pink.

Smell: Initial whiff of blackberry syrup when it is first opened. Once it is in the glass it is a bit less sweet, with a bit of tartness to it. No beer smell at all though - it is all fruit.

Taste: Wow - blackberry soda. Just like the smell - absolutely no beer at all here - fruity, maybe this is what wine coolers are aiming for?

Overall impression: Interesting I guess, but this isn't really a beer. All fruity and sweet, overly so to be highly drinkable.

03-21-2007 00:33:48 | More by rowew
bnes09

1.68/5  rDev -40.2%

Transparent and bubbly watermelon red. Thick head on the pour with a soda-like consistency. Brief head life and minimal lacing.

Smell is fruity with intense blackberry notes and almost gives me a headache.

Flavor is way too sweet. Some honey character and a massive berry flavor and tartness with candied sweetness. Just the slightest hint of barley malt. No hops or bitterness can be detected. Tastes like a berry soda.

Feel is dense, sticky and syrupy from all the sugars. This is honestly like drinking blackberry nectar if such a thing exists. Its only saving grace is the carbonation.

This stuff is absolute garbage! Each sip I took to write this review was painful and I can't wait til I'm done to pour this down the drain. What these brewers have to realize is that with fruity beers, less is more; its all about the balance. If you want to try a good example of this style, pick up some Founders cerise.

06-28-2012 00:15:08 | More by bnes09
hardy008

1.65/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pinkish-orange color with an off white head with poor retention and little lacing. Smells of artificial berries, definitely not a good sign. Tastes like artificial berry flavoring. Too sweet, and reminds me of Celis Raspberry, which was not good. Light bodied, thin, decent carbonation. I would say to avoid this one.

07-15-2010 00:47:47 | More by hardy008
TastyTaste

1.63/5  rDev -42%

This beer reminded me very much of B-to-the-E in taste, smell, and appearance. Pinkish purple color, smells of grain and berry flavoring. Taste is actually quite unpleasent, sweet but has an odd funkiness about it from the malt. Not very good, I like B-to-the-E better than this, but not by much.

06-20-2005 13:31:48 | More by TastyTaste
Chugmonkey

Wisconsin

1.6/5  rDev -43.1%

Super candylike (think mouthful of Sweetarts) fruity taste. Tastes like grape juice. No wheat taste, not sure how/why it is called a weisse? Can't hardly be called a beer. If you mix one in with other beers it will really mess up your taste buds for a long time. It doesn't taste bad, it's not far from grape juice, just not really anything like beer. More like a low abv highly carbed Mogan David.

You should try one if you like grape juice, otherwise you will not like it at all. The fruit taste is just WAY too overpowering.

06-23-2008 21:24:23 | More by Chugmonkey
elmocoso

1.58/5  rDev -43.8%

This is truly a Hideous beer. The berry is cloying and artificial, the honey is sweet and the appearance is a down-right frightening and unatural pink. The taste has kind of puckering that reminds me a little of the mouthfeel of a wheat, but it lacks all other charecteristics of a wheat. My mother-n-law loves them but it just doesn't taste like a beer to me. I suppose it might be a good cross-over beer but it is a long, long journey from this beer to anything respectable.

12-15-2003 04:41:58 | More by elmocoso
jjanega08

1.55/5  rDev -44.8%

A= scary purple not typical of beer with a light head
S= fruity not a beer smell at all. Coulda fooled me into thinking it was wine
T= Way way way to fruity. They over did this beer. I'm usually a fan of Lines but this one is just not for me. I know plenty of girls who live for it though
M= high carbonation which in my opinion made it a little more drinkable
D= Hard to do more than one without something in between. Gave me a little tummy ache :(

10-15-2008 16:20:31 | More by jjanega08
Overlord

1.53/5  rDev -45.6%

This beer was just an abysmal mess. I'm not even sure it's beer.

Pours a bright pink (seriously) with a wacko foam head. Smell is chemicals and fruit, taste is much the same. Just a rancid, fake fruit taste with carbonation bubbling and a watery texture.

Avoid completely.

04-05-2008 09:08:58 | More by Overlord
bltzburgh

1.43/5  rDev -49.1%

If I'd not see it pour from the bottle into my glass I would have thought someone was playing a joke on me. This was another beer we tried at our monthly beer club meeting, and I was not impressed to say the least. It tastes like someone took a berry wine cooler and a light beer a mixed them together. Maybe its because I like darker beers but I thought it was awful.

It poured to a brownish purple color, with a nice head. The smell was fruitty to say the least(not what I want in a beer). The head lasted the entire time I chocked down my 6 ounce sample. The taste was very different, you can taste all the berrys that were put into it.

To me its a beer you give your girlfriend who dosen't like beer.

To each their own though a couple of our members gave it a high ratings in our own little rating system (17,18 out of 20) a personally give it a very generous 4 out of 20.

09-02-2008 01:34:19 | More by bltzburgh
SaintPeter

1.4/5  rDev -50.2%

The cap was a bitch to twist off, it tore my hand up. I hadn't even opened it yet and it was making me disgruntled. Pours a hazy peach orange/yellowish color (doesn't seem natural!) with a huge bubbly white head that disappears instantly, sort of like Alka-Seltzer, leaving a spackle of cling here and there. Highly carbonated, it would make a good dry ice bomb.

Smells exactly like a sickly sweet, low quality tropical fruit wine cooler with an addition of a light lager. Fake fruit wafts and it is way too sweet. The under-age and beer-haters would love this!

The taste follows the smell--way too sweet and artificially fruity, not even sure what kind of fruit it would be. Like bad sangria with canned fruit floating in it. That sums it up. Too sweet to drink.

Way too foamy in the mouth. The bubbles take over....however, that might be better than actually tasting it. Splenda/Aspertame sweetness, the artificial stuff. Yuck.

Extremely difficult to finish, and I am not one to waste a beer. A bad artificial rendering of a berry beer. Steer clear...unless you want an overly artificial sweetened and flavored fruit, fizzy wine cooler/beer train wreck. I'd rather have a Genny Cream with a Jolly Rancher dropped in it!

If this is targeted toward women, I feel bad for the women and their taste buds--they will never know what beer tastes like. I know I have been hard on this beer(wine cooler)but it was killed my taste palate and made me not like super sweet candy-type stuff anymore. A bad beer(wine cooler)deserves a bad review. Sorry, Jacob!

05-20-2009 18:05:33 | More by SaintPeter
Brent

Kentucky

1.35/5  rDev -52%

Simply ghastly. Poured a creepy pinkish color. The bottle noted blackberrys used in the brewing, but the aroma was more raspberry candy. Cloyingly sweet berry flavor. If there is beer beneath this onslaught of berry syrup, I can't find it. This is more like some malternative berry cooler than beer. I toughed it out through half the bottle, and decided life is to short to struggle on with finishing the beer.

09-07-2003 21:57:59 | More by Brent
Fatheranderson

1.35/5  rDev -52%

Now I'm a big fan of wheat beer, but this one is 8 kinds of wrong. It tastes like some kind of strawberry soda, and I'm sorry but that's just not right for a wheat beer.

Good and bad:

Good:
Umm... it's technically still a beer right...? Right...?

Bad:
The flavor is just all kinds of wrong.

I normally try to be gracious about beer, but this one's recipe needs to be scrubbed.

04-20-2010 05:20:16 | More by Fatheranderson
brewmandan

Iowa

1.27/5  rDev -54.8%

stupidity on my part i took a drink from the bottle, so the appearcnce of the beer i didn't get much of a chance to see.
high berry fruity smell. remember the miller lite commercials with the celebrities in the glass box making the "beer rules"? the smell of berry weiss reminds me of that commercial of "don't fruit the beer".
the taste i think is worse than the smell. took one drink and spit it out in the sink. tried to pawn of the open bottle onto my wife, who also took one drink and that was it. we dumped the rest of the bottle.

08-29-2010 22:00:20 | More by brewmandan
atomicskier1889

1.26/5  rDev -55.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I remember drinking this in college, thinking it would be an upgrade to the cheap crap I was drinking at the time. Boy, was I wrong. If you like the taste of Fruity Pebbles, this is the beer for you. Otherwise, I would steer clear of this one from Leiney's, as they have many other better options.

04-05-2013 13:39:53 | More by atomicskier1889
Oxymoron

1.23/5  rDev -56.2%

You call this beer? Pour is a brighter red color. Not really the color you expect from beer. The head of non-existent and no lacing to speak of.

The smell was poor over all. No malt or hops to speak of. A more wine cooler smell.

The taste is similar. Wine cooler wild berry taste. No really malt detection nor any hops. More of a sugary syrup with artificial tropical flavoring. The flavor itself is not bad but you cant call it beer.

The body was light. A tad watery and limited carbonation. Overall this is not a beer, it’s a wine cooler.

04-14-2006 16:29:15 | More by Oxymoron
Jsondrunkpunx

1.23/5  rDev -56.2%

This is without a doubt one of the worst beers I have ever tried, It is not even worthy of a pour into any of my glassware lest the super sweet artificial flavors may forever taint my glassware, i would rather drink any other beer before this atrocity, The only way i was able to finish half the bottle(wich was left at my house after a cookout) was to pretend it was a wine cooler, wich it's taste more resembles....do not buy, do not drink for free

07-06-2012 01:59:27 | More by Jsondrunkpunx
Sixpack595

1.2/5  rDev -57.3%

It say on the bottle it is brewed "...by 73 people who care." I don't know what they care about because it sure isn't the taste of this stuff. Tastes like shook up Boones Farm poured into a dirty coffee cup. Looks like pink lemonade, beer shouldn't look like that. If you like Zima, but feel it isn't sweet enough for you give this stuff a try. I don't know what it is, but it ain't beer!

07-24-2003 03:53:04 | More by Sixpack595
BigRedN

Nebraska

1.18/5  rDev -58%

Background: Got this CHEAP on end of summer clearance.

Apperance: Red. Like a blush wine.
Smell: Oh gawd, its sweet. Berries (Raspberry and/or Bueberry?)
Taste: Oh gawd, sickly sweet. No man should have to endure.
Mouthfeel: Felt good after the taste left my mouth.
Drinkability: How could a person drink more than one.

Final Thoughts: I should have known better. Not even my wife would drink more than one. Appeals to idiot White Zin drinkers. I think I stained my sink when I poured the other four down the drain.
Bad, yet I keep seeing this every summer, so someone is drinking it (or buying it to try, saying EEK! and dumping).

01-02-2004 22:23:27 | More by BigRedN