Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002)
3.18/5  rDev +13.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a medium pink color with two fingers of head. There is just a little lacing. The smell is very fruity, lots of raspberry. Very sweet, almost smells like Lindeman's Framboise. The taste starts out good, with a lot of sweet berries up front. The finish is wheaty and somewhat phenolic. A little off-putting. The body is a little light and watery. The drinkability is just fair as well, mostly due to the taste.

SheepNutz, Sep 05, 2004
3.18/5  rDev +13.6%

To quote the hip lads these days..."It is what it is"...Iwhat it is NOT is a Weiss...tastes more like a wine cooler to me than a beer...big strawberry flavor...label says blackberries and I get a little of that too....very sweet...mouthfeel is spritzy like when I mix 7up with orange juice..

I think this is categorized correctly as a fruit vegetable beer...it is bold and overdone with the berries...nothing subtle about this....drinkability is average at best because of the sweetness....mixed with Honey weiss it is much better....if they tweaked the recipe it might be better...a good one for your girlfriend who doesn't like beer....not the worst thing ever made but not one I drink unless the wife buys her six-pack of it for the year and let's bottles sit around in the fridge for too long..

ZAP, Sep 22, 2005
3.18/5  rDev +13.6%

Apperance- Has about an inch or two of a pink head when poured settles quickly beer is a pinkish amber

Smell- Berries and a little wheat

Taste- Taste a variety of barries and some honey definite fruit taste

Mouthfeel- Is a ligher bodied beer, goes down smooth

Drinkability- This beer is right about average it is decent but nothing to brag about

Slygato, Oct 29, 2010
3.18/5  rDev +13.6%

this beer pours a hazy orange with an off white head that might be a bit pink. the head fades to lacing giving off quite a bit of berry already. the taste is overwhelmingly berry there isn't much room for the yeast or malts here. even with the decent co2 and good body this just doesn't really make a decent attempt at being a beer.

almychristopher, Mar 29, 2009
3.16/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance: hazy, light purple with red undertone, decent sized head-slight pink undertone

Smell: berry, blackberry, raspberry, sweet, citrus

Taste: Honey, blackberries--very sweet, but not incredibly overwhelming

Mouthfeel: mild carbonation, easy to go down, refreshing

Overall: A decent fruity-flavored beer, but not outstanding by any means.. but refreshing on a hot summer day, and enjoyable time to time--the berry flavors are appreciated

sonnens4, Apr 24, 2014
3.15/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours out an orangish pink haze with quite a pink head, which rests to a small pillowing bubbles.

Smell. Very potent with the berries. Label says blackberry juice...i guess i get that. It is hard to tell, the berry aroma is very fresh, so it has that sweet and tartness to it. I also get a lot of strawberry due to this.

Taste. I was not expecting such a strong flavor of the berries, but it was quite there, puckered my jaw muscles. It is a very sweet beer, after a few sips of getting used to it, i can tell it is a wheat beer (I guess from lack of bitterness), but is still dominant of berries- tastes syrupy like juice from concentrate. With the strawberries i get from the aroma, i also get a good amount of rasberry. Aftertaste has a little bit of the tartness. Absolutely no bitterness in this beer.

Mouthfeel. body is at a happy medium for the style. Carbonation is appropriate.

Overall, i can see many people giving 5 for drinkability, and many giving a 1. I think they did a good job making what they wanted to make, a very fruity and sweet tasting beer that a large population would enjoy. With that being said, as a beer, it is lacking good qualities a beer should have (i.e. a malt flavor or hoppy flavor). So it is hard to give it an extreme on either side. It is as if they intended on making a drink similar to a smirnoff or wine cooler with beer ingredients, and did it. Personally, i think i can buy this again when wanting a beer that doesnt taste like a typical beer (malty). It is different, and a change up, which i need from time to time.

Edit: After having a few more, this beer began to drop on the drinkability scale...just so concentrated and fruity. It really reminds me of if one of the big boys decided to try and make a fruit lambic for the masses.

acrawf6, Oct 31, 2007
3.15/5  rDev +12.5%

At least once a summer I find myself picking this beer up. The beer pours a dark purple that leads to an impressive head. I can smell berries (raspberry maybe blueberry?) and canno't detect the alcohol. Mouthfeel is different, I have thought the Leinie's carbonates their beers a little too much that leads to beer gut, this beer is no exception, often times the carbonation overcomes the beer. That aside the beers tastes of a berry flavored malt, some say this is a wine cooler, but I disagree, in my opinion the beer is a little thicker than that. Beer tastes better cold and due to the carbonation it is not very drinkable, not a session beer by no means. However, one should try this at least once a year when it is season.

lampkins, Oct 18, 2004
3.15/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours out to a light amber with pink hues and orange accents, formins a modest lightly pink head with good retention and mild lacing. Aroma is noted across the room...tart and juicy blackberries in droves, faint suggestion of macro lager ferment, and a certain dryness. Quite nice. Carbonation is moderate. Mouthfeel is average throughout with a cloying medium body. Not as spritzy as I would expect for a "Weiss". Taste begins sweeter than expected with lots of blackberries...bitterness is quite mild, and hop aroma or flavor is absent. Did I mention this is sweet? This is probably the sweetest beer I've had (beyond the sweetness of a dopplebock, which has at least some semblance of hop balance)...it's very much like a candy flavored wine cooler. Drinkability is limited owing to it's sweetness. The fermentation has some macro twang to it, and there is no discernable "weiss" characteristics.

This "beer" of a wine-cooler actually started out nice enough, but I've quickly found that I wouldn't want more than one, it's so sickly sweet. Actually, this would probably go really well mixed 60/40 with a really good IPA or hearty stout, so as to offset the sweetness with some hop flavor and bitterness.

Mitchster, Jul 09, 2004
3.15/5  rDev +12.5%

Man did I over do it with this stuff at Summer Fest in 1990-something. It was the year it was released so it was pretty trendy. I guess we all have those stories to tell, so blah.... blah... blah... I picked up a sampler recently so I'm giving this a go.

Poured out of a 12oz can into my Ale Asylum pint glass.

A) It's a hazy pinkish color. I gave it a pretty aggressive pour, but there was still very little head.

S) I expected more when I stuck my nose into this brew. Initially there was just light fruity notes. I will say that as the beer warmed the fruity and floral fragrance was more predominant.

T) It reminded me a bit of cough syrup. You know, the kind you don't mind taking, but it's also not doing a damn thing for you.

M) I have no complaints here.

O) I'm not opposed to fruit beers. This just wouldn't be my first choice. I mean, give me a good framboise or a kriek any day of the week.

RoamingGnome, Jun 11, 2011
3.15/5  rDev +12.5%

While Leinenkugel's is not my favorite beer in the world I do admire them for what they do and how they do it, mainly by not overdoing it. Their fruit beers are definitely niche products and either liked or not liked but they are good for what they are.

The appearance would put most guys off but girls love it. It is pink. The only beer I have ever seen pink. All the girls ooohed and ahhhhed when they saw it.

The smell is good. I do not have a great sense of smell so I was not overpowered by it but I could see how some could be. It smells of berries. Not too sweet but no beer smell that I could detect.

Taste was good for what it was. It was not a wine cooler or a soda pop Miller Chill. It had more beer taste than I thought it would and seemed well balance between the beer and berry tastes. Again not really my thing but if I were at a picnic and handed one I would enjoy it.

I found nothing special about the mouthfeel. It was very average. Not slick, not effervescent, not slimy, almost not there. More taste than mouthfeel. No afterburn either. Probably the weakest thing about the beer.

Drinkability, one is good (maybe great depending on the day), two would be o.k. but I don't that anyone would wnat anymore than that. It is very low ABV so it is quite manageable to move on to something else if desired.

It is a decent simple beer to have as a break from the more complex stuff. Just a frolic, but still maybe memorable.

tjwarren, May 20, 2009
3.13/5  rDev +11.8%

12oz bottle (best before Oct 21, 2013) served in a Shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy pink/orange (almost like a deep grapefruit) color. Thin white/lt. pink foam across the top. Some occasional strands of lacing here and there.

Smell: Blackberry, fruity, just a barest hint of grain under it all.

Taste: Fruit up front, in the middle, and at the back. If there is beer in here, it is well hidden. Fruit is blackberry with some citrus thrown in. Some hints of strawberry as well but I suspect that's one of the other berries in this beer. Quite sweet - approaching cloying.

Mouthfeel: Just right carbonation, but otherwise more like a juice in mouthfeel.

Overall / Drinkability: I got this an extra at a beer tasting. When this particular beer is mixed with Leinenkugel's summer shandy it is a very nice combo. By itself, I can see why others in the room thought this was a wine cooler. Fruity and the beer gets lost in it all. I finished this bottle, but I don't think I would go for another, although I'll give it a slight increase in rating due to it being refreshing. Which I suppose is the whole point behind a shandy or radler during the summer. That fruit serves as a pick-me-up when its hot out and you want something to drink, but not to get drunk. This works on the grounds of slaking thirst and it's not awful, but it's awfully sweet and once done, I'm good and have no interest in another.

damndirtyape, Aug 02, 2013
3.13/5  rDev +11.8%

The beer pours a hazy purple color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a dry pale and wheat malt scent along with a sweet blackberry aroma. The taste is average. It has a watery wheat malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes with a tangy blackberry taste. It's sweet tasting with a thin watery feel. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This tastes more like soda than beer. It's one and done for me.

WesWes, Aug 09, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Red color with orange around teh edges where the light hits. Pours a two finger foamy white head with fair retention. Decanted steadily. No lacing.

S: Strong scent of sweet blueberries and rasberries.

T: Very fruit-juicy; frnaly not minful of beer. There is a slight malty taste, but it gets lost quicly in sweet berries.

M: Light and thin. Ample carbonation brightens the sweetness.

D: More of a flavored alcohol beverage thatn a weis as the name implied. Drinkable as long as you can stomach the sweet taste - some have more tolerance of that others.

Haybeerman, Oct 15, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +11.8%

a very interesting brew. pours a fruity purplish pinkish infused hazy gold color with a small bubbly head. smells like preserved fruit, sugary jams, and wheat. taste is better than i thought itd be, sweet like white sugar, like a spoonful of smuckers jelly, with a pleasant yeasty finish. this is not my favorite style of beer, but it is good for what it is. mouthfeel is thin and quenching, summery, drinkable. more than a couple of these might rot your teeth though.

StonedTrippin, Nov 06, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellowish amber in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that died down leaving a bit of lacing on the surface and a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of blackberries in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has lots of flavors of berries, but it isn’t sweet and has a bit more acidity.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is easy to drink and has some refreshing properties. It would be a good beer for a summer day.

metter98, Oct 31, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer poured a large 1.5 finger head that left little if any lacing behind. It had a light golden/reddish color to it.

It smell sweet light berry kool-aid.

The mouth feel was light and crisp, but it left a weird after taste.

Taste was not bad, it was very sweet and light almost like drinking a wine cooler.

Drinkability is average at best, I can see drink a few of these but the sweetness and the after taste gets old.

mareth01, Jun 30, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Cloudy reddish amber in color with an inch of bubbly head that didn't last too long.

S - Very fruity as one would expect from this beer, lots of berry aromas, raspberry and blackberry for sure. The wheat vs. the berries makes it interesting.

T - This is pretty tasty, but not something I would run out and get for myself. A little bitter, a little sour, and for sure fruity.

M - This beer is very crisp and leaves a slight sugary coating after each sip.

D - Light alcohol fruit beer, refreshing and goes down easy.

StoneBrewFanatic, Jul 19, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Pours between a red and a pink color with a nice head that left lots of acing.

Smell: Smel is heavy of raspberries and other citrus fruits.

Taste: Tastes like grapefruit and raspberries and not like a beer at all. Kind of bitter. It tastes more like spiked punch.

Mouthfeel: Very light and more like a wine cooler than beer.

Drinkability: Not bad for the summer or people who are tired of the same old thing.

meatmallet, Aug 01, 2008
3.08/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Purple in color with about a finger of head. Short retention, with some lacing.

S - Berries and grapes. Mostly I get some combination of blueberries and blackberries, with grapes and perhaps raspberries thrown in. Nearly non-existant prototypical "beer" aromas.

T - Horribly sweet, with the same homogenized berry flavor from the nose. Very simple, very fruity.

M - Moderate carbonation with a mildly syrupy body. Went alright considering the flavor.

D - I didn't hate this beer, but it wasn't much of a beer and as such I would never/could never drink this as if it were just a beer. It is far too sweet.

PatrickJR, Aug 15, 2008
3.08/5  rDev +10%

When this beer was poured out - the color reminded me of a carbonated glass of pink lemonade - with a tall light pink head.
The smell was very tart and fruity. The taste made me think I was drinking a fruity wine spritzer, rather than a beer. This beer looked
interesting and appetizing to me. I once sampled this brew on a 100 degree day after a hot brewery tour and I think I could appreciate it a little better then.
Still - a nice change of pace and a refreshing libation on a hot day - or with a sweet dessert for that matter.

pezoids, Mar 02, 2003
3.08/5  rDev +10%

A: The only color I can think of when I see this beer in my glass is of grapefruit (the meat of the fruit, not the peel). Small snow white head, dissipates quickly.
S: Lots of berry aroma.
T: Hmm, is this really a beer? Tastes more like a spritzer. Very sweet, honey and berries very prominent.
M: Have that lingering aftertaste of sweetness, but again not horrible.
D: Quite drinkable, actually. I probably won't go out of my way to buy an other one, but I am glad I finally tried this beer. I'd definitely choose this one over the Fruit Loop infused Sunset Wheat from the same brewery.

AWolfAtTheDoor, Jul 01, 2007
3.08/5  rDev +10%

Pours a mostly red but slightly purple dark color with a short lived head.

A: The color makes up for the quickly fading head, it's the kind of beer color that makes you just curious enough to try it at least once.

S: Smells like fruit punch concentrate. Gets you curious to take a sip to see if the taste follows up the strong fruity scent.

T: Too fruity for me. The only thing you taste besides something comparable to a berry smoothie is a hint of hops and a slight raw alcohol taste.

M: It's bubbly but not to the point where it hurts to swish it a bit in your mouth.

D: I'm not going to call it a queer beer, because it isn't, but it does go down like water- (rough exaggeration).

Bottom line- An ok price for a slightly below average beer. If you like a heavy fruit taste in your beer you should give it a try, but it's just not really my cup of tea.

xtremejammn, Oct 28, 2008
3.08/5  rDev +10%

From a bottle into a Franziskaner weissbier glass. It was a warm day in Philly[for November] and I felt the desire to drink from a wheat glass; this was the only thing in my fridge that I could pour into a wheat glass.

Pours a nice, orange/red body with a big, pretty long-standing white head that has shades of pink throughout. Nice lacing when the head finally starts to recede; a decent beer to look at and it's nice to see something framed up in the wheat glass again.

To be honest, it smells like cranberry juice and ginger ale. Almost exactly like that. That's the big flavor, and probably the only flavor I get from it. Although I did the wine glass move, swirled it a lot, tried to get some aromas from it, and all I get is a rotten fruit/must kind of smell. Wish I would have left it at Raspberry Ginger Ale (which after a lot of smelling is the dominant nose, not the initial raspberry. The swirling brings out the mustiness and it becomes just Raspberry Ginger Ale.) Whatever.

Taste is not that bad in the first sip and as the finish grows in length. It starts out with an acceptable raspberry+sour cherry mix, which does not sound good, but really isn't that bad when compared with the mid palate. The mid palate is there, which I have to say is appreciated, since there are a lot better beers that don't have the flavor change, but to be honest, it taste's like celery and raspberries mixed together in seltzer, which to be honest is a little weird. The finish is nice; an almost raspberry jam/raspberry pop tart filling component coming through on the finish which I like. Just for the transition of three distinct flavors this gets a 3.5; it's not good, not with that mid-palate, but it's certainly better than a lot of beers. Yeah, the mid palate is where this beer goes to die. But to be honest, with the start and finish, if there wasn't a mid palate it would be even worse. But respect to the brewer for producing a fair complex beer within a style that is not known for a lot of complexity.

Just like with the taste, the mouthfeel could be a lot worse. There's definitely some taking hold of the outside area of the palate in the back-third of the mouth. Across from the back two teeth, that's where the beer takes hold, really gets in deep with a nice, really, really, takes three or four times to even notice its there subtle raspberry flavor. Again, not great, but respected. The mid-palate is where a lot of the flavors live; the crappy celery/raspberry/seltzer combination leaves that nice raspberry jam finish lingering in the mid palate; it takes awhile to realize it's there, but it definitely is.

It's a fruit beer, and it's kind of soda pop-py, so on a pretty hot summer day, I imagine that if you had an affinity for sweet drinks it would be pretty drinkable; this is something that [presumably] sorority/college girls would go nuts for. In the cold, I mean, it's nice to break open a summer beer in the [almost] winter (assuming the beer is fresh, which this one surprisingly is) but after I finish this glass I'm going to go drink some water; it's a little TOO sweet.

In all honesty, the quality of this beer far surpasses the taste of this beer. Three distinct flavors, a noticeable flavor change, a really nice, subtle, long lingering finish. A pretty palate-gripping mouthfeel. This, from a shear construction perspective, a top-level beer. But the flavor just is too much. With that ALL said, if you want to try a refreshing fruit beer, that is one of the more well made examples of the style, this is it. Props to the brewers; I'd gladly serve this to female acquaintances who like cosmo's and maybe even throw back one or two just to admire the craftsmanship.

bigeyedfish, Nov 14, 2007
3.08/5  rDev +10%

12 oz. bottle tried 25 Jul 2007.

Medium sized pinkish head. Rosy slightly cloudy purple haze. Smells like raspberry jam, but kinda one dimensional. Tastes like very sweet well carbonated raspberry koolaid. Finishes with a faint tartness. Medium body. Alcohol minimal.

The beer to drink when the beer you want is a slightly alcoholic berry soda.

htomsirveaux, Jun 19, 2010
3.05/5  rDev +8.9%

One selection from the Summer Beers 12 pack. Brown 12 oz bottle. Pours golden with a slightly pink color. Short white head, with some good retention and thin lace. Points for uniqueness. You can smell the berries and some yeast, strong but not overpowering. Taste is quite sweet, almost like a wine cooler. Lots of berry flavor, raspberry and blackberry. Sweet and slightly sticky mouthfeel, but there is still enough wheat element. A good fruity hot weather drink, but a bit too sweet for me to have more than one at a time.

BigBry, Jun 04, 2008