Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-25-2002

Ratings: 1,231 | Reviews: 381
2.13/5  rDev -24.2%

12 oz can

This is the first Berry Weiss I have had in years (because it was so bad I swore it off). I figured I'd give the canned version a shot.

While this may be slightly better now versus my memory, it still isn't very good. It looks, smells, tastes and feels like thin juice or a wine cooler.

The artificial-tasting berry flavors remind me of cheap jelly. Thin and unsatisfying, even those around me who claimed to like it had a hard time finishing even one.

I know there will probably always be a market out there for this stuff but I don't know why. Not a Jacob Leinenkugel best. Probably their worst, IMHO.

2.11/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: Hazy red hued color with a 2 finger head which retained well. The color was a pinkish color.

S: Strong berry smell.

T: Wow. Way too sweet. Sour on the finish. Where is the beer? Tastes like soda.

M: Light body.

O: Did not care for. Just way too much berry...off-putting.

2.11/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

As a generic, fruit-flavored alcoholic drink, it's not bad. It's supposed to be a beer, though, so I'm reviewing it as one.

If you want beer flavor, look elsewhere. Berry Weiss looks okay; it has an interesting rosey-gold color. That's where the resemblence to beer ends, though. It's tastes and smells like a grape alcopop, or maybe a wine cooler. There are no hops to be found, and the malt is smothered by cloying grape flavors. As a "drink," fine. I wouldn't refuse it if someone offered me one. I just wouldn't go around calling it a beer.

2.11/5  rDev -24.9%

Had this at a friends house, it was the only one left and it was offered to me so i said what the hell.

Did not pour this into a glass the bottle was so cold almost frosty. this beer isn't my usual type to drink so i'm gonna start off by saying i wasn't a big fan of it. It was very fruity (berry) and grainy, so carbonated i could also sense it in the smell.

the taste was everything you'd think, like a carbonated kool-aid mix, definetly not what a ber should ever taste like! in a way i enjoyed the carbonation, it's basicly the ONLY thing i did enjoy. Everyone has they're own taste in beer, but this wasn't mine.

2.08/5  rDev -26%

Muddled pink color, no head. Aroma of corn syrup and nerds candy.

I hate to use the word disgusting, but it seems apt here. Wheat aspect is commendable, but the 'fruit' aspect, is questionable at best. Comes off more like a soda with some wheat to it, moreso than a 'beer'. This type of beer gives other fruit beers bad names. When people say cough syrup (although at least this is a 'thin' one) or kool aid beer, this kinda gives them some ammo to substantiate their claim.

Really no redeeming quality to this 'beer', other than the fact its not absolutely terrible, it just kinda sucks.

2.07/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had a friend bring this over, raving about it. Thanks.
I cracked this one for my wife, trying to prove that it's beer for people who hate beer, +1 for me!

Poured into a Guinness Pint Glass (I think it winced). It pours a light brown color with a pinkish hue. Small head, nice carbonation.

Smells like Sugar-coated kids cereal. I'm going with Cap'n Crunch oops all berry for a smell on this one. I don't particularly like fruity pebbles.

Tastes as though Crystal Light is breaking into the beer market. Aspartame, stinging fake sugar taste. Tastes like chemicals. Nothing beer about this. Reminds me of some fruity Mad Dog 20/20 flavor I had in college.

Feels like alum in my mouth. Like it's tasting me and taking away all the saliva in my mouth at the same time. Watery and thin. Carbonation isn't all that bad though.

Ugh. I would rather staple my nuts to a burning building than have another one of these. This is like some shitty shirt you get from your grandma with some lame ass saying on the front and your name printed on the back. Play along and pretend you like it while she's in town, dear.

My wife on the other hand, hates beer, thinks this is delicious, and asked me for another one to my disgust.
Great beer for a woman who hates beer!

2.06/5  rDev -26.7%

reviewed from notes, this one was poured into a pint glass and given to me by my in laws.

i knew i was in trouble when this candy like color starts to fill the glass, with a fizzy white top that seams to pop up and fall down immediatly. ehh. but then i took a whiff, fake berries, and just light kool aid like aroma. not even close to a good fruit beer. way too light and the flavors and aromas are so blatently artificial it was downright scary. light berrys and hints of sweet malts try and poke up but they are just remnants of what would make a good beer.

overall no. some of these i can get by with and make a pass, but this was just way off the mark. too light, too fruity, just a mess.

2.06/5  rDev -26.7%

I expected this beer to be better since I enjoy the Leine's Sunset Wheat. However, this beer is overpowering in it's sweetness. It tastes more like a berry soda to me than a beer. I can't drink even half of one without feeling a little sick to my stomach. But then again, I don't particularly like sweet tasting beverages.

2.03/5  rDev -27.8%

Pours pinkish/orange with small white head. Aroma of berrys, grapes, blueberry. Taste of blueberry , grapes, very fruity and sweet. Palate is light body, very bubbly carbonation. Reminds me of a wine cooler. Finish is very sweet. Did not like this beer.

2.03/5  rDev -27.8%

Very interesting. I have never really found a "berry" beer that I thought was good. Pouring this from the bottle into a glass, it was actually a pink color. Once poured it settles down to more like a copper color, some haze and a pinkish tint to it. Thick white, pinkish tinted head and quite a bit of lace. The aroma is.... you guessed it. Berries. If I had to pick one, blackberries. The taste is very carbonated and berry-like. It seemed like it was flavored seltzer. Nothing I'll get again.

2.03/5  rDev -27.8%

After a hard pour, the head quickly shrinks to a thin lace on the top. The smell of fruit juice is heavy. The color is a nice amber with a fair amount of carbonation rising to the surface. The taste is very, very tart. A grape/rasberry combination for the flavor. I can't detect any of the "usual" beer flavors, especially any hops. The fruit flavor sticks in my mouth and lingers for quite some time. It reminds me of a grape soda. For a fruit beer, this might be right on target, but the "soda" feel just doesn't work for me. I prefer a beer with a more sutle fruit flavor, not one the seems to hit you over the head.

2.01/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Out of a bottle this beer was a murky brown-pink color with a huge three-finger head of slightly pink foam. It left very good lacing and the retention was pretty good as a thin collar.. The aroma was all raspberries and strawberries and a candy-like sweetness. The flavors were very, very sweet. Cloying, in your-face, too-much sweet. Getting beyond the sweetness was difficult and all I could really discern beyond that was some sourness and an awkward, artificial aftertaste. The body was medium/light and the carbonation a little too high. I don't know what they were shooting for here but they totally missed the mark.

EVEN WORSE THEN SUMMER SHANDY

This is not beer, this is carbonated berry kool aid in a bottle. It was sickening sweet and not pleasant in the least.

Will not purchase again.

Way too sweet; more like fruit juice.

1.96/5  rDev -30.2%

Another one of my least favorite beer styles. This one was too berry and way too sweet tasting for me. It had a small white creamy head with fine sized bubbles. The body was cloudy with carbonation observed and the hue was berry. The nose was heavily berry and the taste was very sweet, tart, sour and tangy. The mouthfeel was tingly, smooth with a thin-watery texture and light bodied. There was a fair amount of lacing with this beer.

1.95/5  rDev -30.6%

Appearance - Fruit punch color. Kinda cloudy. Soapy pinkish foam with some staying power. Leaves a little lacing. Looks high quality, but not real appetizing as a beer.

Smell - Strong sweet generic berry scent with a hint of underlying malt.

Taste - Very strong and sweet generic berry flavor. There is very little beer character at all. Borderline malternative. The flavor definitely isn't bad, just doesn't strike me as something that should be called beer.

Mouthfeel - Very light, thin even.

Drinkability - Nice berry-flavored summer drink that goes down easy on a hot night on the back porch. The beer qualities of this drink are, however, almost totally absent.

This is exhibit no. 1 on the list of out-of-balance fruit beers. To clarify - I like it and in the right situation would drink it. The low grades simply reflect that Leine's Berry Weiss just isn't much of a beer and doesn't, for the most part, meet the minimal standard requirements. Looks, smells and tastes like a berry flavored malternative.

1.95/5  rDev -30.6%

Berry Weiss is a strange color (equal parts yellow, orange and pink) and looks unnatural. An aggressive pour results in a decent sized off-white head, but there's minimal lace.

The aroma reminds me of a wine cooler. The artificial berry-like sweetness that greets my nose has very little in common with beer. The flavor is slightly malty, but is mostly a sickly sweet berry flavor that turns a little 'beery' at the end. Apparently, blackberry juice was used. I guess I can appreciate that. If left to my own devices, though, I would have said blueberry/raspberry. The mouthfeel is lousy. 'Thin' pretty much sums it up.

This Leinenkugel offering could fairly be described in several ways, from most accurate to least: a berry-flavored malternative, a slightly less sweet wine cooler that has a passing resemblance to beer, and a beer flavored with honey and blackberry juice (which is what it actually is). It has no business being called beer, which may be why the label reads 'bier'. Maybe the brewery's suits were trying to make it sound like a true German weissbier.

Berry Weiss reminds me of that classic Cheers episode in which Norm talks about eating at a restaurant that serves artificial meat. He specifically mentions 'bef' and 'loobster' as two of his favorites. Maybe this stuff should be called 'ber' or 'bere' since it doesn't much resemble beer.

1.93/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

The beer poured out a nice amber color, with a nice light head and good retention. There was good carbonation in the beer as well. Once we got past appearances the beer lost me a little. Smell gave what you would expect, raz and wheat. The taste for me was just too much, almost like artificial sweeteners, and I am one who can appreciate a fruit beer. I wouldn't go so far as to call this more of a wine cooler, but it was just too much. Mouthfeel was not quite what I expected, somewhat foamy at times. In the end I struggled to finish it.

1.93/5  rDev -31.3%

I had this beer with a meal in Mattoon, IL. Before ordering it, I asked the waitress if it had a strong fruit taste. She said it did not but she must have been winging it because this tasted like kool-aid. I couldn't drink it because it was soooo sweet with a powerful berry taste. I couldn't tell it was a wheat beer at all.

1.91/5  rDev -32%

My sister turned 21, and being the naive little girl she is, she's going through this "I'm buying alcohol" phase. Hence, my excuse to drink this malt beverage.

Appearance: Pink malt beverage. Little head that fades quickly.

Smell: Overpoweringly sweet. Alcoholic fruit soda.

Taste: Mildly alcoholic, thick Juicy-Juice. Way too sweet. I knew it would be.

Mouthfeel: Feels like beer, but it really isn't. This review is over.

Overall: I didn't enjoy this. Got to hit every style though, I suppose... it was there, so why not? If you're a beer fan, you won't like it most likely.

1.9/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a slightly hazed fruit punch color (pinkish?) with a thin pink head that descends to a patch. I would say it's not a particularly attractive color for a beer.

Smells like a fruity wine spritzer with added fruitiness - esp. blackberry. Very fruity - I guess that's what they were going for.

The taste is ... not good. Sweet artificial fruit syrup with honey added as a bonus on top of the sweetness from the fruit syrup. There's a touch of maltiness, adding more to sweetness - Forget the hops. Imbalanced sweetness. If this were a fruity "malt beverage" I would say it was not bad, but it has "bier" written on it. Why write it in German? Why write it at all? Hardly has any beer characteristics - a touch of malt...a vague tartness, maybe? Just barely enough to keep sweetness from lingering forever (though it lasts too long, anyway.) Finishes...sweet.

Light-bodied and fizzy. Over-carbonation's only redeeming quality (if it has any) is that it lifts away some of the sweet aftertaste, a bit.

Is this beer or a malternative? With willpower (and putting beer out of my mind) I was able to finish one (and give the rest to a female neighbor who drinks the "malt beverages" to share with her friends. Better them than me!

1.9/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours a dark orange color, with some hints of purple (could be my imagination) and a frothy whiteish head. I get some berries in the aroma, and not a whole lot more. Taking my first drink of this one, I immediately get the feeling I am drinking a sickly, sweet berry flavored soda. Too much carbonation and too much fake berry flavors. Truly a horrible beer; I could not come close to finishing a bottle.

1.9/5  rDev -32.4%

Too much berry flavor for me. This is definitly a chick beer, which is okay, but I still think even most of the wine cooler babes would rather have those than switch to a beer like this. It tastes a lot like raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, not much like beer, and way too sweet. It has a slick, syrupy feel, too sugary. Its not for me, thats for sure.

1.86/5  rDev -33.8%

It's your girlfriend's beer for when she can't get a Dewey Stevens. Looks like Champale when you pour it. Gotta admit it smells nice. But tastes like a wine cooler with a bit of malt in it. Sweetness is almost saccharine. It might be okay as a hot-weather cooler, but if this is all Miller can come up with in the fruit beer category, New Glarus has nothing to worry about.
On a second tasting, I had it straight out of the bottle to avoid the disturbing blue color. Even then, you get a vaguely Trix-flavored mess.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company